Happy New Year’s

DMZ · December 31, 2004 at 7:04 pm · Filed Under Off-topic ranting

Since Dave did the holiday wish, I’ll go ahead and say my New Year’s bit.

I love this site. Almost universally, I love the people who read this site. I have been continually impressed with the quality and quantity of people who read. When we have site outages, I’m going down the list of support contacts and giving them an earful because I know there are people out there that want to read about the Mariners, or baseball, or whatever I’m whining about that day, and I don’t want to disappoint them.

I may whine about the comments, sure. But we rule with a pretty light hand considering the volume of posts and readers. I hope almost everyone would agree with me that the USSM crowd engages in debate that’s both interesting and civil, where any view’s respected as long as you keep the swearing and insults out of it.

I hope in this next year we’ll continue to grow as fast as we have since we launched. I think the Mariners fan base is one of the smartest in baseball, and I want to serve them well. As always, if you have ideas for how we can get better, or story topics, or random thoughts, we’re happy to hear from you.

Derek

Comments

53 Responses to “Happy New Year’s”

1. David J Corcoran on December 31st, 2004 7:08 pm

Happy New Year to you as well. My New Year’s Resolution is to be more intelligent and on topic when commenting on USSM.

2. David J Corcoran on December 31st, 2004 7:10 pm

And to Reload Less.

3. David J Corcoran on December 31st, 2004 7:10 pm

And to stop re-gifting. And I better stop.

4. David J Corcoran on December 31st, 2004 7:11 pm

Maybe get a jump on my resolution right now?

5. Sriram on December 31st, 2004 7:13 pm

Happy New Year to you guys and good luck too! Visiting this site has become a habit and I am sure many M’s fans will echo those sentiments.. Best wishes.

6. greenlaw9 on December 31st, 2004 7:19 pm

Derek and everyone,

I wish all of you a Happy New Year as well!

U.S.S. Mariner has been at the top of my favorites list ever since my uncle pointed you out to me a little over a year ago. Keep up the good work guys, I can only imagine how great it would have been to have a site like this back in seventh grade when the M’s had their magical ’95 season… Seriously, thank you all so very much…

7. Noel on December 31st, 2004 8:16 pm

Yup, USSM is one of my few “must-read” sites each day. Thanks to Derek, David & Jason, plus the commenting community!

Happy New Year to all, including Howard Lincoln and Bill Bavasi. 😀

8. Chief on December 31st, 2004 8:59 pm

Happy New Year to Jason, David, Derek and all you USSM readers/posters!!
    I wish you all a healthy and prosperous new year and a winning Ms season.

9. Jim Thomsen on December 31st, 2004 9:04 pm

I bid adieu to you and to ’04 with a thought to warm the coldest heart ….

Pitchers and catchers report in just 49 days.

Happy New Year, everyone … and be sure to bring bail money with you wherever you go tonight.

10. David J Corcoran on December 31st, 2004 9:13 pm

Straight to bed, Jim. You can just call me a hermit.

11. Marty Lighthizer on December 31st, 2004 9:32 pm

Happy New Year to all!

I want to thank all of you (including your more perceptive and astute readers) for providing this great service to M’s fans everywhere.

I was originally a Detroit Tiger fan – back in 1968, when Denny McLain won 31 games and Mickey Lolich won three WS games and beat Bob Gibson. I soon lost interest in the game, moved to Japan, and hardly followed it at all (read the newspapers occasionally, noticed the McGuire/Sosa battle in 1998, but very little else).

Around July of 2001 though, I noticed that a Japanese player named Ichiro was conducting hitting clinics in the U.S. and was playing a style of baseball hardly seen since Ty Cobb. Mariners’ games were televised here on the public station without commercials alomost daily, and generally at a (welcome) work-disruptive time of 11:00 A.M. I soon became a M’s fan (losing my discipline for honoring deadlines and gaining the ire of many of my clients). When Hideki Matsui came to New York, the Yankee games took precedence over Ichiro/Seattle, so I visited MLB.com and the local Seattle dailies online.

Perhaps it was sometime early this last season, I discovered U.S.S. Mariner and started appreciating some of the details and nuances of Sabermetrics. I say without exaggeration, I visit your blog before any other MLB/sports site – and that’s even more true this offseason.

My gripe?

I blame you guys for feeding my addiction, disrupting my free-lance work, angering my work colleagues, causing massive reductions in cash flow, alienating my wife and son, and possibly sending me to eternal damnation for my addictive sins.

At any rate it’s wonderful fun, intelligent commentary, and a great way to go… Keep up the good work!

12. fiction on December 31st, 2004 9:57 pm

New Year’s Salutations to Derek Dave Jason and all the contributers to the best M’s site.

13. MER on December 31st, 2004 10:16 pm

Thank you and Happy New Years to Derek, Dave and Jason for providing this site where I get my “Mariner fix”. No question, there is great info, thoughts and animated discussion posted here. I probably know more baseball than 99% of the public but here I am a “nonprospect rookie”. Doesn’t mean I can’t play though. Keep it up.

14. Ty on January 1st, 2005 12:04 am

Happy new year, Derek. I come here right away as soon as I get a chance to come online, because this is one of the best sports blogs I have ever seen. And it is no doubt by far the best Mariners blog. When I need opinions or want to express my opinions on baseball related things, I come here.

Happy New Year everyone.

15. jloris on January 1st, 2005 12:04 am

Ummmm…… a collective selective “ditto” of all of the above. A sincere thanks for all of D, D, and J’s efforts on our behalf, and all of you flagrant posters — even those who are good for nothing but a blood pressure spike — for carrying out those endless debates in my head while sparing me the effort. I’ll pay for this site anytime.

16. John in L.A. on January 1st, 2005 3:18 am

I’d like to add my thanks and best wishes as well.

I follow a lot of sports and read a lot of internet sites with regularity, looking for information, analysis and discussion.

This site is not just the best Mariners site, not even just the best baseball site… it is the best sports related site I visit.

Your efforts are very, very much appreciated. As are the comments (and your efforts there, too). There is a lot of baseball knowledge here. And, equally important, a lot of baseball intelligence. Those two qualities are not always found together.

So I hope 2005 brings you all the recognition and satisfaction you richly deserve.

17. alex on January 1st, 2005 3:21 am

Has anybody heard of this Igawa Kei guy from Japan’s Hanshing Tigers?? It seems to me that no one here has mentioned him as a possibility for the Mariners. He’s a 25 year-old lefty that throws in the low 90’s with a great circle change who posted era of 2.49, 2.80, and 3.73 the past three years while consistantly strike out 200 batters every year

The reason that I write about him is that Igawa has supposely asked his team to post him this past week. Though Tigers strongly rejected his proposal, it might be interesting to see what might happen in the next few months.

Here’s an article about it

And here are his numbers though its in Japanese

Anyway, he’s probably one of the top three pitchers there in Japan along with Matsuzaka and he might be a better option than O.Perez or some of the other pitchers that Mariners are looking into

18. paul mocker on January 1st, 2005 8:20 am

Happy New Year!
    Thanks to all who make this a great place to chat about baseball, especially Derek, Dave and Jason.

19. Smith on January 1st, 2005 11:40 am

What does the “Happy New Year’s” possess?

Anyway, Happy New Year

20. Lou Able on January 1st, 2005 11:52 am

Hppy New Year to you all from the Arizona desert. You have the best read n the internet and in any newspaper. Thanks for your efforts.

21. Matt Staples on January 1st, 2005 12:33 pm

Same here. For the first time in my near-decade of using the Web, I have a site I visit before the general sports sites. My thanks go not just to the “Big Three” but to everyone who takes the time to post intelligent, reasoned comments.

22. tyler on January 1st, 2005 12:49 pm

USSM, you fill my life with meaning.

Okay, that may be too strong. But your insights and analysis constantly entertain, and frequently teach me new ways to look at the mariners, baseball, and sports in general.

You are an automatic everyday read, and i applaud you for the constant quality of your postings.

Good times, good times.

23. Jim Thomsen on January 1st, 2005 1:16 pm

USS Mariner is the broken wind beneath my wings.

24. Jeremy on January 1st, 2005 1:51 pm

Happy New Year, USS Mariner.

Keep bringing it.

25. Steve Kuciewicz on January 1st, 2005 2:05 pm

I Love USSM. I’m in the land of the Brewers, so I don’t get my required taste enough. Happy new year, guys, and keep the faith.

26. zzyzx on January 1st, 2005 3:04 pm

May 2005 be better than 2004!

27. Rossco on January 1st, 2005 3:35 pm

Without sounding too much like a “me too” comment, I wanted to add my support for this site. It is my first site to visit for late breaking news! I am the uncle that greenlaw9 refers to and we are both crazy M’s fans. I am even logging in from our vacation in Hawaii to check things out. It is raining. Oh well.

Happy new year and many thanks!

Rossco

28. jim on January 1st, 2005 9:25 pm

Happy New Year to the proprietors and to all the regulars. May I be the first to say it – Boras has put a stake in the ground at $119M for our boy CarlosB. Is he worth 8@$15M? Can the M’s root around, raise parking/advertising/concessions, market the daylights out of the Belt Bros. (The Amazing Belt Brothers and their Power Pal SexMachine! top X-Box game of 2005?), and get us another all-star? Yeah that would mean no pitching this year, but if you can score a dozen a game, even the current staff should suffice!

29. chris d on January 1st, 2005 10:18 pm

#27 I will no onger go to Hawaii during the winter because I was on the “dry”, big Island for a week and it rained every damn day. I go to mexico now. Sorry you are having rain as well.

And I also greatly appreciate this site. It is my first site I go to in the morning. What I get here is not only M’s news, but great company or compnaionship. Previously I would have my thoughts and feelings and was alone with them. It is wondrous to be able to share them.. There is sometimes conflict and it is mostly handled respectfully by everyone.

I stated before this hot stove time is more exciting then the games because for me it is the sharing with all of you that is so entertaining. During the season I am usually so dissappointed and discouraged. Mostly because M’s don’t make mid-season upgrades. Boy, could you imagine B. Beane in Seattle with this payroll.

Thanks again crew of USSM

30. Noel on January 1st, 2005 10:22 pm

Billy Beane must enjoy working with a $50M payroll… didn’t he re-up with Oakland recently? Or is he still on his original contract?

31. chris d on January 1st, 2005 10:23 pm

If M’s hadn’t signed Sexson and traded Ibanez and Spezio[if possible]. Just getting rid of Ibanez salary and no Sexson. Woulkd pay for Beltran at $15M. Maybe they could trade those Ibanez and Sexson now. Could they do that?

32. Harry Teasley on January 1st, 2005 11:31 pm

Yes, Happy New year to USSM. I love this site and read it daily, ahead of other sites that used to be indispensible to me. And with the quality of the comments here, it has replaced the M’s Usenet group entirely for me, when reading fan conjecture about the team.

I’m in Massachusetts, and through the magic of MLB Extra Innings managed to catch a lot of games this year, but it plays merry hell with my sleep schedule. All too often I have gone to sleep at 3am only to wake up for work at 7am and immediately launch USSM, to see what the consensus was on the previous night’s game.

So for one M’s fan in Red Sox Nation (a very odd place, now), thanks again for the excellent site.

33. Bill J on January 2nd, 2005 1:04 am

Thanks, y’all. Keep up the good work. 🙂

34. M.O. on January 2nd, 2005 3:21 pm

Rock on, USS Mariner. May your fantastic efforts be rewarded by that which would please us all the most: A Seattle Mariner Championship.

35. Joshua Buergel on January 2nd, 2005 8:26 pm

Maybe they could trade those Ibanez and Sexson now. Could they do that?

You aren’t allowed to trade newly signed free agents right away. It’s either the beginnning or end of May before you’re allowed to trade them. Not that I think the Mariners would consider it.

And on that off-topic note, my thanks also go to the crew of the U.S.S. Mariner. When are you going to give us a donate button?

36. Tacoma kid on January 2nd, 2005 9:45 pm

I have alway been curious about expenses professional baseball player have that they must pay out of their salary. Could you defined what is club expenses and what is player expenses? Room and board, equipments like bats and gloves,etc. How does the club pay a player’s salary and what are they allow to deduct from their salary during the season? Are travel and meal allowance deducted from their salary? Does high salary players get special treatment? Thank you for your input. Enjoy your site and learn much from your comments.

Tacoma kid

37. DMZ on January 2nd, 2005 11:03 pm

Players are paid a daily sum to go towards their food. Hotel rooms are provided for them by the team. Equipment — generally, players don’t have to pay for equipment, because companies will give them equipment for free.

38. Jeff Sullivan on January 3rd, 2005 1:15 am

On that topic, I believe that each team is responsible for paying about $7.5m towards food, worker’s comp, room & board, etc.

39. Jim Thomsen on January 3rd, 2005 10:26 am

I wonder what the stat guy’s daily taco-and-beer per diem is?

40. Jim Thomsen on January 3rd, 2005 10:58 am

Not saying it’s time for a new thread or anything, but … “the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim”? Step up and take your whacks, folks …..

41. Todd on January 3rd, 2005 11:51 am

The defending AL West champs should now be referred to with the acronym “LAAA.” And the Angels should now form some sort of recipricol relationship with Indian University Purdue University at Indianapolis.

42. David J Corcoran on January 3rd, 2005 11:54 am

Good Lord. That’s pathetic.

43. David J Corcoran on January 3rd, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey guys, I have tickets to go see the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim!

Gads, it just doesn’t roll off the tongue like Anaheim Angels.

Also, is it LA or ANA? Which is it? Should we rename the Rainiers the Tacoma Rainiers of Seattle?

Should the Yankees rename themselves the New York Yankees of the Bronx? The New York Mets of Flushing? The San Francisco A’s of Oakland?

44. David J Corcoran on January 3rd, 2005 12:13 pm

Should I change my name to the Corcoran David J of Malloy?

45. Dave on January 3rd, 2005 12:56 pm

How about The Commenter Of Ridiculous Quantity? Have you ever considered consolidating your thoughts rather than setting records for most consecutive comments?

46. David J Corcoran on January 3rd, 2005 12:59 pm

Sorry Dave. They come to me, and they keep coming ,and coming. And I keep spewing, and spewing. My apologizings.

47. Harry Teasley on January 3rd, 2005 1:06 pm

LAAA, LAAA, LAAA, we can’t hear yooouuuuu….

48. David J Corcoran on January 3rd, 2005 1:07 pm

This is my last comment on the matter, I swear. The Los Angels of Anaheim would consolidate words, and work well.

49. Noel on January 3rd, 2005 2:22 pm

How about “The Lost Angels of Anaheim”.

50. Intolerance on January 3rd, 2005 2:40 pm

David J Corcoran, will you please make a new year’s resolution to diversify your interests? I mean, geez…