Game 17, White Sox at Mariners

Jay Yencich · April 22, 2012 at 11:28 am · Filed Under Game Threads, Mariners

Danks vs. Millwood, 1:10 pm

There was the perfect game yesterday and then Tacoma was one-hit. The report is that the Mariners wanted to go down swinging, but instead they went down check swinging. Technicalities can be kind of a bummer.

I didn’t mind it all that much. With how bad the offenses of recent years have been, it seemed like it was going to happen eventually, and thus an ordinary loss that I would have listened to anyway became a historic event. I probably will think about it now and then, just not too much in the coming weeks. I didn’t really think of Armando Gallaraga much before his almost perfect game and I certainly haven’t thought of him after it outside of that one particular context. Oh look, he’s a free agent. And was with the Diamondbacks last year. When did these things happen? All in all, I would have preferred that this would have happened two years ago before we had promising young players in the offense, but even with the perfecto and offense seemingly down in a lot of places, we’re still on pace to score 567 runs, which is eleven more than last year and fifty-four more than two years ago. Today is another game of baseball.

CF Figgins
2B Ackley
RF Ichiro
DH Montero
1B Liddi
3B Seager
C Olivo
LF Wells
SS Ryan

Comments

59 Responses to “Game 17, White Sox at Mariners”

1. smb on April 22nd, 2012 11:31 am

OLIIIVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! We’re taking this “goin’ down swingin'” thing to the nth degree, I see.

2. TherzAlwaysHope on April 22nd, 2012 11:32 am

I thought the fans standing and cheering sucked. An ESPN commentator said something like: I guess its OK if the Mariner fans stood and cheered, if they can live with themselves.

What an embarrassment.

3. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 11:49 am

I love baseball. I’m not so homer that I won’t applaud a pitcher’s great performance even if it is against my favorite team. Today is a new day.

That said. Smoak gets the day off. I wonder if his minor injury is bothering him.

4. Jay Yencich on April 22nd, 2012 11:51 am

I have seen the Mariners lose hundreds and hundreds of times.

I have never seen a perfect game and the likelihood of seeing one is very, very low.

If I’m there, I’m rooting for the perfect game in the final two innings.

5. msfanmike on April 22nd, 2012 12:22 pm

There might be another chance today, Jay.
    This team may be good enough to threaten being back to back no-no’d/perfecto’d. If it gets to the 6th inning in that fashion, I will be rooting for it too.

6. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 12:25 pm

Never been back to back perfect games against the same team. That would be something to see.

7. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 12:26 pm

Not that I’m rooting for it.

8. Westside guy on April 22nd, 2012 12:28 pm

I thought the Mariners’ fans cheering for Humber after the perfect game was extremely classy.

Good grief, this is a kids’ game – this isn’t a war. These people aren’t our enemies. I root for the Mariners, and want them to win the World Series; but I also thoroughly enjoy great performances by other players. It was agony watching Pedro Martinez shut down the (offensively good!) Mariners time after time, but I still was in awe of his skill.

9. TherzAlwaysHope on April 22nd, 2012 12:30 pm

Jay, terryoftacoma,

I would agree in some situations. If I know I am watching great baseball, I could quietly root. Let’s say I am a Rangers fan and a great pitcher is shutting them down, I gotta tip my hat. I applaud after the game is over.

But knowing the M’s will be even more of a laughing stock at a national level, at least don’t cheer during the game. The M’s have a enough trouble as it is without the fans rooting for the other guys.

10. WalterNeff on April 22nd, 2012 12:32 pm

I had Safeco tickets yesterday – went to see Titanic 3D instead (on a sunny day) I’m the Olivo of Mariner fans. On the brighter side, I was in the Kingdome for Johnson’s no-no and he signed my ticket stub.

11. greentunic on April 22nd, 2012 12:32 pm

There’s a good chance Olivo could get off the batting avarage interstate soon.

… and I don’t mean by getting to .200

12. jordan on April 22nd, 2012 12:39 pm

Can’t get any worse than yesterday, right?

13. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 12:44 pm

I’m a Mariners fan because I like the Mariners. I didn’t grow up here. I choose to be a Mariners fan. I don’t care what others on the national level think. I see this team moving in the right direction and I’m looking forward to seeing them in the chase every year but I know it’s not going to be this year. Which I suppose is why Olivo playing doesn’t bother me. He’s not part of that future, He’s stopgap(a lousy one) and that’s not worth wasting my time worrying about.

Play ball!

14. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 1:25 pm

Well, no no hitter today!

15. msfanmike on April 22nd, 2012 1:26 pm

Danks just abused Figgins … With three very straight fastballs. From the right hand side, Figiins looked lost.

Ichiro. Woot

16. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 1:28 pm

We still need work on getting people home from third though.

17. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 1:41 pm

Olivo? haha

18. JoshJones on April 22nd, 2012 1:50 pm

Much like when a ground hog sees his shaddow…A hit and a good play probablly means 6 more weeks of Olivo….ugggggghhhh

19. smb on April 22nd, 2012 1:50 pm

Loved Blowers talking about how only a handful of catchers could make that play on the dribbler down the first base line. Has defensive catching performance gotten that bad league-wide that only a handful of guys can make that relatively routine close play?

20. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 1:52 pm

Got a late start, as yard-work needed to get done. I was surprised to see Liddi at 1st. He was terrible at 1st in the spring! Wonder if it would have been smarter to put Jaso in there, though I understand wanting the right-handed bat in there.

21. msfanmike on April 22nd, 2012 1:55 pm

2 down, now what.

22. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:04 pm

WE tie the score.

23. Westside guy on April 22nd, 2012 2:04 pm

Just tuned in. I have to admit – I did it largely to see if we’d gotten a hit yet or not! 😀

And… it was just in time to see Liddi’s RBI double!

24. msfanmike on April 22nd, 2012 2:09 pm

Liddi … Excellente’

25. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:11 pm

Smoakamotive? Who comes up with this crap? and get paid for it, too.

26. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:14 pm

Nice!

27. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:14 pm

Ichiro!!

28. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:14 pm

Glad Liddi didn’t interfere with that

29. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:17 pm

2 hits… wth?

30. WTF_Ms on April 22nd, 2012 2:17 pm

Awesome….Olivo is 2-2….now he’ll never come out of the lineup.

31. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:18 pm

What’s going on here? Olivo blocks the plate well and tags the runner out, then gets a solid hit?

32. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:18 pm

no man’s land!! haha

33. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:19 pm

Seriously, I’m glad to see Olivo hit better today. Also nice to Liddi and Wells make the most of rare starts.

34. JoshJones on April 22nd, 2012 2:20 pm

I hear tampa bay is looking for a catcher. Lets send them footage of Olivo from this game from all different angles and see if they bite..

35. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:21 pm

wow.. who saw that coming?!

36. WTF_Ms on April 22nd, 2012 2:21 pm

stevemotivateir – I put that completely on Ichiro…even a minor league catcher could have made that tag.

Oh, and holy crud…an error????

37. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:21 pm

oops..

38. WTF_Ms on April 22nd, 2012 2:22 pm

Liddi needs to get in more…He’s impressed so far.

39. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:23 pm

Perfect time to try a hit & run with Figgins.

40. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:24 pm

Sorry, I meant bunt with Figgins, Really!

41. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:26 pm

Ah, gotta fun Figgy.. His last yearat Anaheim he had over 100 walks but he also had 99 K’s.

42. stevemotivateir on April 22nd, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow, nice pitch by Millwood.

43. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:49 pm

Kevin.. you keeping putting them down the middle sooner or later they’re gonna hit them.

44. terryoftacoma on April 22nd, 2012 2:52 pm

What the hell has gotten into Olivo?

45. Breadbaker on April 22nd, 2012 2:55 pm

More like, “Wedge, Kevin keeps putting them down the middle sooner or later they’re going to hit them.” Only in Wedge’s world, “Hey, Olivo tagged out Dunn so I gotta keep Millwood’s suddenly hot hand in there pitching.” Just like “Olivo is my everyday catcher until he is arrested.”

46. WTF_Ms on April 22nd, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, it’s about time to clear another spot on the roster…I see the DL for Millwood, or DFA, or something. He hasn’t done well the last few outings.

47. msfanmike on April 22nd, 2012 4:07 pm

Overall, pretty solid homestand. .

48. Coolalvin206 on April 22nd, 2012 4:11 pm

Nice, 7 games out of first and we still have a week left in April. Another year down the crapper.

49. JoshJones on April 22nd, 2012 4:39 pm

@WTF_Ms

Good! get rid of millwood. I think the M’s were hoping to pull a bedard and swing him for a few more young players.

I’m mearly speculating but if Jaso was starting over Olivo and Iwakuma was starting instead of Millwood we would have at least 2 more wins.

50. smb on April 22nd, 2012 4:40 pm

But, but, but…we added a big bat! We’re CONTENDERS!!

And Millwood looks like he should just retire, IMO…