Game 160, Angels at Mariners

marc w · October 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm · Filed Under Mariners

King Felix vs. CJ Wilson, 7:10pm

The baseball playoff races could all be decided tonight, or we could continue to bask in chaos for another few days. The Angels essentially need to win out, as the A’s sweep of the M’s means they’ve got more of a shot at passing the Rangers than they do of being caught by Anaheim. This would all be thrilling for the general baseball fan, and enjoyable for those who hate the Angels specifically, but its hard for many M’s fans to summon much emotion right now.

The team has essentially played spoiler by getting shut down by the Angels and A’s in succession. Its bullpen, one of the remaining interesting things about the 2012 team, is limping towards the finish line. The offense picked itself off the canvas and made a run at being merely ‘below average’ after 2.5 years of being hilarious. But a succession of close, winnable games against good teams makes the real improvement feel a bit hollow.

There have been signs of progress, and the team could surprise next year with a solid pick up or two and some luck, but the best farm system in baseball can’t make late-September baseball featuring a last-place team watchable. You know who can?

I feel all of us lean on Felix’s transcendent talent as a reason to watch/care, but in our defense, have you thought about how special his multi-year run is? Felix needs no projection. Felix doesn’t need luck to even out. Felix doesn’t need a veteran presence, he doesn’t need protection, he doesn’t need to make a few simple adjustments. He’s essentially the only part of this organization that doesn’t need more time. For that, Felix deserves every accolade he gets from M’s bloggers, writers, fans and even opposing batters. Tonight’s the final King’s Court of 2012. We’ll talk about 2013 tomorrow. Tonight, go to the game and yell. Watch it and remember what it feels like to care.

The line-up:
1: Ackley
2: Wells
3: Seager
4: Montero (DH)
5: Smoak
6: Saunders
7: Olivo (C)
8: Robinson
9: Ryan
SP: King Felix

Comments

95 Responses to “Game 160, Angels at Mariners”

1. Mid80sRighty on October 1st, 2012 4:37 pm

So, what does everyone think Felix’s chances are of winning the Cy Young? A month ago I would have said he had all but wrapped it up. Today, after the few bad starts he’s had, I’m thinking they’re not going to give it to him.

2. MoreMariners on October 1st, 2012 5:00 pm

There’s no chance IMO unless a no hitter is thrown tonight. Price will win, as ERA and Wins still seem to dominate.

3. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 5:14 pm

I think Felix would need a shut-out with 8-10 k’s. Certainly not impossible.

Even if Felix wasn’t in the mix, I wouldn’t bet on Price being a lock. Verlander has been a horse. Leads in innings pitched, strike-outs, and his ERA is right there.

What really surprises me, is how many people (not here, obviously) pass-off Felix’s perfecto, as if it wasn’t that big of a deal. It’s HUGE! Regardless of Cy Young voting, what he did was nothing short of amazing this year!

4. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 6:51 pm

Here’s hoping Felix is throwing his last pitches ever to Miguel Olivo.

5. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 6:52 pm

Another perfect game would do wonders…

6. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 6:57 pm

Good call, Breadbaker! I’ll raise my glass to that!

7. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 6:59 pm

I don’t think it matters what Felix does tonight, he is out of Cy Young contention. He needed to finish strong for the last month to get it.

8. 9inningknowitall on October 1st, 2012 7:05 pm

Felix winning the Cy Young again would be great but as stated already the bigger prize is if this is the last time Felix ever pitches to Olivo. Unless there is a charity softball game 20 years down the road. Even then I’m not sure Olivo would block the pitches.

9. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:08 pm

Watch, they pick-up the option on Olivo, and trade Felix. Doh!

10. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:14 pm

Ugh. From any reasonable perspective, Felix should already have thrown his last pitches to Miguel Olivo. There is absolutely no reason Olivo should be playing these last few games – but I bet he’ll be in every one.

11. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:19 pm

Crap. Not the start I was hoping for.

12. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:21 pm

Really, if Trayvon OR Olivo is on this team next year, I will personally start a local campaign to fire Jack.

13. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:26 pm

CASPER!!!

14. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:26 pm

Wells!!!!

15. Sowulo on October 1st, 2012 7:27 pm

Felix hasn’t even been the best pitcher on the M’s staff for the past month.

16. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:33 pm

YEAH! Nail that cocky twit!

17. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey, look what Wells can do!

18. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:35 pm

You know what’s really ridiculous? Trout came bloody close to making a double out of that.

19. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 7:46 pm

Trout is currently at 10.0 WAR (fangraphs data). Or, about equal to Seager, Saunders, Jaso, Ackley, Montero and Smoak combined. Is that Difficult to wrap your mind around, or what?

Kinda surprised he didn’t just steal 2B after his last hit. He needs two more to end up at 50. Probably figures he can get those any time over the next 2+ games.

20. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:48 pm

^^ And, you know what? He probably can.

Sheesh – I’ve been rooting for Condor to make the 20/20 club… and Trout is gunning for 50/30. Guy’s unreal.

21. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:49 pm

I had just seen his WAR (via ESPN) tonight, Mike. I thought it might have been a mistake. Isn’t that nuts?!

22. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, as good as he is – he was running an absurdly high BABIP for a couple months. Now he’s falling back to earth, and is just “really really good” rather than “insane”. :-D

It’s unlikely he’ll have too many 10 WAR seasons. Or so I tell myself…

23. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 7:58 pm

He can have a dozen 10 WAR seasons for all I care, just as long as the Mariners are on top of the Angels at the end of each year ;)

24. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:00 pm

You could probably bet that he will never have another 10 WAR season, but he is going to have a lot of 30/40 seasons. Probably at least one 40/40 season, too.

I heard the Mariners were very interested in using the 27th pick on him in the ’09 draft, but they never got the chance. Nobody had him as even a top 10 selection, that year. Oops!

25. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:02 pm

Montero looked so bad on that last swing that it pulled Guti’s oblique.

26. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:03 pm

hahaha!

27. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 8:08 pm

Nice move!

28. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:12 pm

Trout’s BABIP against the Mariners is 1.000.

Or so it has seemed to me, anyway.

29. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 8:18 pm

You guys think Trout is the MVP right? I’m sick of hearing people say Cabrera.. Just wondering what you guys think?

30. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 8:18 pm

I’d really like to see Felix get bailed out of this one. Just once, please, let’s see some bloody offense!

31. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 8:21 pm

Cabrera is in-line for the triple-crown. I think he’s absolutely deserving of the MVP. But really, a coin-toss might be the best way to decide.

32. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:23 pm

CM, I thought that 100%. Then I saw just how much Cabrera has outhit Trout the past couple months. In August and September, Cabrera’s OPS has been roughly 1.062 – Trout’s has been .852, more or less.

I still would give it to Trout because he’s a very good defender while Cabrera has all the range of a rock; but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk anymore. Jeff’s arguments about WAR assume we can quantify defensive value with more accuracy than I think is the case.

33. seattlesonsofbaseball on October 1st, 2012 8:24 pm

The sad thing is now we pretty much have nothing to hang our hats on. We’ve got a plethora of less then average baseball players on offense, a shortstop who has a great glove but can’t hit, a great defensive center fielder who can’t stay healthy…… AND NOW…… an Ace who isn’t fooling anyone. September has stunk for him. He’s gone from Cy Young award potential this year to not even close.

Now what do we have to be excited for next year??? I wonder if Jack Z. is going to get Jason Giambi to be our veteran bat? Or maybe we can see if we can go out and get another washed up pitcher and try and revive his career. OR, better yet, let’s go out and get “diamond in the rough” players who no one expects to be successful and have them help us to another top 10 placing in the draft order.

So freaking disappointing. This team pulled up all these young guys… but none the less Brendan Ryan and Miguel Olivo continue to see consistent playing time. Three cheers for our brilliant management!

34. seattlesonsofbaseball on October 1st, 2012 8:25 pm

Trout isn’t helping his team get to the playoffs… Cabrera pretty much single handedly is. That is the epitome of MVP, isn’t it???

35. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:26 pm

Funny thing about the whole MVP thing, though, is to listen to the Detroit fans that swear the dude is a good defender – he and Fielder are the worst corner duo in the majors (defensively I mean).

36. stevemotivateir on October 1st, 2012 8:26 pm

I seriously hope I don’t see anymore of Robinson.

37. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:27 pm

Over the past nine games, Cabrera has stunk (.603 OPS). He’s hit worse than Olivo – so I don’t think you can say he’s single-handedly carrying Detroit into the playoffs.

Overall for the last month, he and Fielder have both been great. Cabrera has outhit Prince (168 RC+ versus 155 RC+). Two other Detroit hitters are over 100 though.

You can’t say Miggy’s doing it by himself.

38. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:32 pm

In August, Miggy was better than in September – 190 wRC+. But Fielder was even better than that, with 206 wRC+.

39. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 8:32 pm

No baseball player can single-handedly carry a baseball team. 1 out of 9 at bats can only do so much.. And if you do want to argue team success the Angels have a better record.. Cabrera is having a phenomenal year hitting, but when you take into account defense and baserunning, I’d pick Trout.

40. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:36 pm

Basically Miggy and Prince have both been monsters at the plate.

Austin Jackson and Andy Dirks have also been pretty darn good too.

41. Sports on a Shtick on October 1st, 2012 8:39 pm

Yet another Felix loss against the Angels *sigh*

Too bad the Montero-to-1st experiment never got going this month. Don’t think the M’s really considered it and it could have revealed more options going into 2013.

42. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:39 pm

Trout lapped the field and considering him as the MVP might have gotten blasé for some. His team has a better record than Cabrera’s. Detroit plays in a bad Division. Thats not Trout’s fault. However, the triple crown will probably say it all. Trout will win ROY by a gazillion miles and voters will be hesitant to give him both. WAR is still a “what is it good for” proposition with a lot of voters. And the defensive metrics used within it ate either not very well understood or are unreliable. Or both. In most voting circles.

How can you really complain either way, though. Whoever wins it, deserved it.

43. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:40 pm

I still don’t like Prince’s contract, but they sure can’t complain about either guy’s performance or durability this year. They’ve both played pretty much every game.

44. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:42 pm

Come on Iannetta. You gotta catch the ball. At least deflect it, dummy.

45. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:43 pm

“They’ve both played pretty much every game”

Thereby substantiating the fact that you can’t pull fat.

46. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:45 pm

So why did umps stop wearing those big old external pads? If it were me, that’s what I’d be wearing.

47. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 8:52 pm

The last couple games it seems like the Mariners have multiple runners on every inning and never score runs..

48. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:52 pm

Not an option. Both leagues abandoned them, many years ago. Old timers who had used them were grandfathered in, so they stuck around past the decision date. It’s harder to work with a balloon, but if you only have one base to cover with 4-man mechanics, it is not a big issue. You can work a bit lower with the inside protector, so the high strike eventually disappeared. Not that it was all that high in majors – for many many years. You get hit/hurt a lot less. But, safety is not a priority for umps. I used my dads for several years – especially in hot weather. Much much cooler.

49. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 8:56 pm

How many guys have gotten 4 hits vs Felix?

Steal home, kid. What a talent!

50. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 8:56 pm

Nope, Felix isn’t getting the Cy Young this year.

51. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 8:58 pm

I hate you Angels, guess what, you will be done with the season in 2 days just like us :P

52. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:01 pm

I’m rooting for Oakland to beat Texas tonight so the Angels are eliminated before tomorrow’s game. :-D

53. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 9:02 pm

Oakland is about to pull within a game of the division lead tonight. Amazing.

54. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:02 pm

Pujols with a very pedestrian 80 XBH’s this season.

He will probably “bounce back,” though.

55. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:05 pm

Jumping back a bit – I expect Cabrera is going to win the MVP. And he’ll be a deserving winner – we’re picking at nits in debating him or Trout.

56. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 9:07 pm

I’m at least 90% sure Cabrera will win, judging by how the baseball voters do things.

57. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 9:07 pm

I expect so, too, and “Cabrera MVP” will replace “Jim Rice Hall of Fame” as the sabermetrician’s favorite bete noir. Everyone needs someone to complain to.

58. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:10 pm

I hope (for their sake) that Carp, Liddi, Peguero, Thames etc etc etc are only renting, cuz rosters are tight and Miggy and Figgy will be back.

Etc.

59. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:12 pm

I’m still not over Raffy Palmiero’s Gold Glove, Breadbaker.

60. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 9:13 pm

I have to say that keeping Figgy on next year’s roster makes me think less of Zduriencik. If he doesn’t understand the theory of sunk costs, this should have taught it to him.

61. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 9:14 pm

Different voters. Gold Glove is managers and coaches. MVP and HoF are writers.

62. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:17 pm

Figgy’s locker should be kept completely lined with press clippings about Nishioka’s walking away from his final year contract.

If he removes them, someone should put up new ones.

63. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:19 pm

Was that the Palmeiro over David Segui GG award debacle – or some other debacle?

Two PED guys – chasing the gold glove award. I loved Segui, but I hate what he did.

64. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:20 pm

I was talking about the year Palmiero won the Gold Glove having started all of 21 games at first base. He was mainly a DH that year, and he hit really well – so they gave him a GG.

He must’ve had a really amazing 21 games.

65. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:23 pm

I think he “won it” over Segui that season – if memory serves. 21 games, though … What a joke. Why not, Jeter won a GG a couple years ago.

66. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:29 pm

Wells!

67. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 9:32 pm

I’m just hoping Ryan wins it this year.

68. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:37 pm

I mis-reported… it was 28 games, not 21. Makes all the difference in the world. (yes that was sarcasm)

Segui was our main guy that year until we traded him. Raul got a lot of ABs at first, too.

69. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 9:42 pm

I can pretty much guarantee Ryan doesn’t get close to winning the gold glove.. It is a shame..

70. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:43 pm

Great job going the other way, by Smoak.

Good Time for #20, Michael.

71. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:45 pm

Man, Bourjos is fast too!

72. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh boy, we broke the “1 run scored when Felix pitches” rule.

73. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey, forgot about this. It’s pre-Olivo 2.0, but his 1.0 performance turned out to be predictive – surprise, surprise.

Mariners Catchers Throughout the Years

74. Breadbaker on October 1st, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, he should. Per Fangraphs UZR he is on another planet. Jhonny Peralta is second at 12.0. Ryan is at 18.2.

75. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 9:52 pm

All right guys!

Of course we have to score more runs AND stop the Angels from scoring – but still.

Brendan Ryan absolutely should get the Gold Glove. I have no idea if he will, though.

76. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 9:54 pm

After they recently voted Jeter for Gold Glove, I wouldn’t expect them to get it right.

And I don’t get why the Angels always move Trout to left. He should never leave CF in my opinion.

77. msfanmike on October 1st, 2012 9:59 pm

Bad break for Triunfel. I assume there will be no outrage over Wedge wasting Thames’ game appearance.

He’s still got Jaso available for later. Allegedly

78. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:11 pm

A’S WIN!!

ANGELS ARE OUT!!

79. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:13 pm

The Mariners PA announcer should do something classless now, a la the Angels’ “Congrats to the Seattle Sonics” slap.

Maybe “Congratulations to the Oakland Athletics” or something similar.

80. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 10:16 pm

What was the “Congrats to the Seattle Sonics” thing? I missed that.

81. georgmi on October 1st, 2012 10:17 pm

Please tell me they did. I only logged into the game thread to ask.

82. georgmi on October 1st, 2012 10:18 pm

When the OKC Thunder made the NBA Finals earlier this season, the M’s were playing in Anaheim and the PA announcer congratulated the “Seattle Sonics” on the feat.

83. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 10:20 pm

Wow, very classless.

84. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:20 pm

Yeah, it was a really class-less slap at Seattle.

85. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:21 pm

Now there was some qual’ty defendin’!

86. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:23 pm

Or – even better – the PA guy should wish the Angels a safe flight home at the end of the series.

87. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:26 pm

Hehe, just saw this old comment (on mlb.com) about the Anaheim class act:

“Isn’t their logo appropriate? A big “A” and a hole.”

88. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:28 pm

Number 20 NOW, Michael.

89. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 10:30 pm

Whelp, I feel better. Thanks Oakland!

90. californiamariner on October 1st, 2012 10:31 pm

There we go Mariners, secure that top 10 draft pick!

91. The_Waco_Kid on October 1st, 2012 11:04 pm

This was my third and final attempt to see one last win this season.

92. Westside guy on October 1st, 2012 11:27 pm

Sorry, Waco. I doubt anyone expected Felix to be that off…

93. Sowulo on October 1st, 2012 11:45 pm

It’s after runs like these last five starts (4 bad starts and one so-so start) that I’m tempted to go ahead and pull the plug on a big Felix for a couple of studs that can help the team through offense on a daily basis trade.

94. stevemotivateir on October 2nd, 2012 8:21 am

^Right, because he’s proven to be so inconsistent throughout this year?

Despite September not going so well, his overall numbers for the season were real impressive. There’s no reason to pull the plug on him. Especially when the rotation already has question marks for next year and the biggest hole(s), the outfield, can likely be filled via free-agency.

95. Sowulo on October 2nd, 2012 7:55 pm

Until Ackley, Montero, & Smoak show that they can be consistent, big-league hitters, I will consider their positions pretty big holes as well.

Felix had two extended slumps this year. It’s not that I’ve given up on him though. The point is that he has the value that could bring two or more players that can do more to help the team win the other 137 games where Felix wasn’t pitching well or at all.

While I’m end-of-the-year venting, Ackley and Montero are my two biggest disappointments this year. I’ve not seen anything from them to make me feel real confident that they will improve next year. They both swing at far too many bad pitches. Ackley is particularly adept at taking strikes and swinging at balls. Seager and Saunders have both done things to make me believe they can climb another notch on the ladder next year. But I’m not at all certain 1 or 2 new outfielders will be enough to significantly lift the outcomes over this year.