Game 85, Mariners at Angels
Crafty left-hander Jamie Moyer versus sneering left hander Jarrod Washburn.
“I backed into your Prius? Heh.”
7:05 our time, FSN and KOMO.
This game GUARANTEED to feature Willie Bloomquist. You can’t keep this guy out of the lineup!
I also want to say that I don’t hate Bloomquist. I really don’t. Back when he was hanging around Tacoma, he came off badly, as a talentless coach’s pet and a preening lady-killer, but who cares — at that age, a minor league baseball player, there are far worse things.
And since then, I haven’t read an unkind word about him personally. While I don’t know him, by all accounts he’s matured into a pretty good guy I probably wouldn’t mind having a beer with (um, as long as he didn’t punch me out).
So there are conflicting feelings at work:
– He’s demonstrated in his major and minor league careers that he’s not a good player, and justifies a roster space for versatility, pinch-running, and whatever else, but not as a project or a future anything
– I hate that the Mariners have loved him so much for so long, as a symptom of their organizational blind spot for scrappy athletes (like Dobbs) who can’t hit but look like players
– I’m tired of the amazing near-worship I see from some fans who like to dog on useful, contributing players like Randy Winn, and I’m tired of being subjected to constant supplication to Bloomquist by the broadcast crew (“Bloomquist is the best centerfielder on the Mariners… — Dave Niehaus”)
– I’m so happy he’s been smoking the ball while I’m watching the game, because this team needs hiiiiits like mad, and yet…
– I worry this is going to be like the original September call-up, where a short super-hot streak justifies retaining him and fawning over him for the next five years.
Anyway, with a lefty on the mound, it’s almost certain he’ll start again. Good luck.