Quick game notes
I was never a big believer in karma, but I kinda think after the seats I had tonight that the universe is finally creaking around to making up for my 1988-1992. I was in pretty bad shape for a while there and was glad I managed to rally in time to drag myself into town for the game.
In the spirit of Dave’s notes earlier this week:
- I saw an extremely drunk woman come in before the game and fall over on the steps to her seat.
- She kept yelling “Get a job! Get a fucking job!” at A’s players. I have no idea why.
- They cut her off in middle of the third inning. The third inning.
- They pulled her out of her seat before the fourth for a chat with the cops and she didn’t come back for about an hour.
- Johjima does a lot of infield positioning.
- Johjima is one mobile dude back there. He’s such an amazing upgrade over last year it’s amazing.
- I was psyched about the Johjima signing, and now I’m rapidly turning into a raving fan.
- Billy the ballboy is about the same weight and only slightly smaller then Ichiro.
- This aggressive baserunning thing is great and all, except when they’re getting picked off and generally acting badly. I’ll have to write a whole thing on the breakeven now, but man, Reed seems to not be cut out for this philosophy.
- Meche is Meche. From up close, about 50-75% of his pitches in any inning look like minor-league stuff you’d expect to see from some random AAAA pitcher (like Andrew Lorraine, no offense intended to Lorraine).
- Chavez cranked that ball. That it was only measured at 12 feet longer than the Everett home run is a testament to the unreliability of the metric. I’ve rarely seen balls that well-hit.