Last night’s game notes
I went to last night’s game, and I have a couple of random thoughts. Some of these are in the game thread, but–
– Pineiro’s done. I’m sure if you watched on TV you got even better looks at it, but the impression is impossible to deny: he looks like he’s just heaving stuff out there and hoping for good results. I saw one good-quality pitch all start. I don’t know if he needs rest or a minor-league stint or what, but the guy headed out to the mound every couple days looks horrible.
– Groundskeeper dancing is tired. Scale it back, please.
– Ichiro rocks.
– For all my complaining about Ibanez’s Dora-the-Explorer routes to fly balls (and when you have the wide persepctive of being there, it’s even worse), that was a really sweet catch.
– They went crazy with the music during the ninth. It’s a little ridiculous.
– I heard the radio feed when Reed was up, and in it, Niehaus and Fairly discussed pinch-hitting for Reed with Perez: You play Bloomquist in center. If they bring the right-hander in, you can even pinch-hit for Perez with Petagine and then play Bloomquist in center.
Consider that for a second: Niehaus and Fairly were able to think three steps ahead of the guy in the dugout in a couple of seconds.
– If Sexson’s turning it around and Beltre keeps hitting in the #2 spot, the M’s will have the best infield in baseball.
– It’s funny that as much as people say they admire baseball for being a team sport, they’ll argue on the way out over who the hero was (in this case, it was Ichiro v Ibanez, both players having made critical contributions to the win)
At the start of the year, we thought the Mariners were about a .500 team, and they certainly took a painful way to get there, but it’s hard to describe how great it was to be there yesterday, with 30k+ people out to see the Rockies and the Mariners contending. Two years, some of it amazingly hard to watch, and now there’s a bit of the buzz back, the people smiling on the concourses as they walk out, and that makes me really happy.
Also, the M’s are 9-3 since I turned in my resignation. I’m not a particularly superstitious man, but this might be a good time for the M’s to make sure my mortgage payments (and so forth) are taken care of so I can continue being a bum and they can continue winning 3/4ths of their games.