Unethical!!!!!!!

DMZ · October 13, 2006 at 11:34 am · Filed Under Off-topic ranting

Provided for your off-day horror/amusement, an email conversation on the feed between someone from Boeing and me, as I work through the Feed queue.

SFB:

Where on Capitol Hill is the pizza feed?
I assume its all-you-can-eat for $22!

Thanks

I had two thoughts: first, for whatever reason, I decided not to give out the location in the announcements. Second, I’m concerned that in ensuring that they get all-you-can-eat, we’re looking at someone more interested in attending to get a lot of pizza for their money, rather than someone who wants to go to a USSM event and hang out. I have visions of someone showing up with the intention of eating all of the top-shelf pizzas as the other 49 people look on in horror.

Plus, I’ve been on the internet a long time, I’ve written for places where you immediately get 100 emails the instant the article goes up, so I’ve developed a fairly good sense for when trouble’s ahead, and it’s telling me this is bad news.

Still –

I wouldn’t say it’s all-you-can-eat, but there’s going to be a ton of pizza.

You want to RSVP then?

SFB:

What is the location of the feed? There are several pizza places I do not
like quality of food. Thus my participation is bsed on quality of place
since teh fee charge is $22.

While this is reasonable, I’d argue $22 for an event is pretty good (I mean really, we paid a ton of money for the Safeco Feeds, and that catering was poor), and again, I’m wary. I set it aside to ponder.

SFB grows impatient quickly:

What is wrong with this group? I previously asked a question about the
location and name of pizza feed and my question was ignored in thereply
email.

I commented but the a—u-can-eat pizza comment posted on the message board
and then the reply states this is not necessarily true!

why is the communication so poor in trying to answer people?

And he quotes us:

Friday, October 13th, ~6pm-8pm+, Capitol Hill, Seattle. About 50 people
total. No announced special guests, just me, Jeff, Dave, you and a good four
dozen or so other Mariner fans. We’ll probably do some Q&A, I’ll have some
Q&A for everyone… good times. We may podcast any Q&A we do – Jeff’s
considering how we’d pull this off.

$22 includes all the pizza you can eat (many varieties, lots of it), salad,
soda, and a tip. If you want to order beer, we’ll talk about that at the
feed but it’s not included in that $22. The food’s going to be great.

Okay.

I’m a busy guy. Sorry.

DMZ

SFB:

You still are so impolite you continue to refuse to answer the questions
below. It’s almost like you work fro Bavassi as he is the most incompetent
baseball trader in the big leagues today!

You can guess my reaction to that.

I’d argue that Bavasi’s actually a pretty good trader compared to his peers. His biggest weakness is free agent signings.

Thanks for writing,

DMZ

SFB:

1. You are incorrect as every trade he has made shows no value!
2. Anyone can OVERPAY for a free agent and get a decent palyer. Bavassi
works with 95 million dollar budget and is a failure producing a quality
with a “human rain delay” personality manager!
3. You faield to address the pizza location
4. You have change the intention of the meeting to all-u-can-eat…too
almost

Are you sure you don’t run a small chinese grocery store with outdated items
on the shelf?

Pretty sure, yeah.

That’s just not true, though. He got outstanding value for Garcia, for instance. And my point, and I guess I wasn’t clear about this, was that he does not do a good job with his free agent choices.

Thanks.

SFB:

Three damn times you ignore questions.
Unethical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>3. You faield to address the pizza location
>>4. You have change the intention of the meeting to all-u-can-eat…too

As for Garcia he has NOTHING to show for it has his tupidity to trade for
one catcher resulted in multiple transactions to get another catcher who was
again overpaid

They were going to lose Garcia in free agency anyway. I think you’re neglecting that Jeremy Reed and Mike Morse came over as well. Also, if you’re saying that Johjima is overpaid, you might want to compare his salary with other free agent catchers. He’s quite the bargain, relatively.

SFB:

Look I do not care about you Mariner diatrine!

Answer teh ONLY questions I asked:
1) where is pizza feed located and name of rest?
2) Why do you advertise all-u-can-eat then change you story?

Your repeated emails are disturbing and if more people are like you and
cannot listen or answer emails competently then it’s worthless to join the
event!

And I reply:

Thanks for your interest in the Feed. Unfortunately, we stopped taking RSVPs yesterday, when we turned in our final head count and food order. Sorry.

DMZ

SFB:

MA ,
You are an ASSHOLE!

For 3 days I try to get answers out fo you and all you do is blab!

Next time I see Q13 sports announcer DeVoe I will tell him your a jerk!

Comments

68 Responses to “Unethical!!!!!!!”

1. The Ancient Mariner on October 13th, 2006 11:44 am

Ohh, my . . . Sounds like someone you didn’t want there anyway. (After all, if this guy’s primary concern is who’s making the pizza, hasn’t he rather missed the point?)

2. BrianV on October 13th, 2006 11:44 am

Indeed, all you do is blab!

3. Benno on October 13th, 2006 11:45 am

Wow, you are so unethical. I’ll be sure to include a link to this site for my upcoming ethics paper.

Thanks, I needed a chuckle.

BEN

4. Coach Owens on October 13th, 2006 11:45 am

Hey, Derek you should have ridiculed him for his spelling/grammar. that would have really made him mad.

5. PositivePaul on October 13th, 2006 11:53 am

Another classic. Comes close to being:

[Rizzs]

[Pineiro]

[Piniella]

I know this is off topic, but [deleted, off-topic]

all rolled into one.

Nice.

Next thing ya know, SFB will wonder why the beer isn’t included.

6. frenchonion on October 13th, 2006 11:55 am

Well, it does say:

“$22 includes all the pizza you can eat (many varieties, lots of it)..”

You can see where the guy might have thought the feed was “all you can eat”, he interpreted that line literally.

The thread is a good example of why I don’t host blogs/games anymore. People tend to think if they’re involved on any level they have some “ownership.” (Or at the very least, tend to feel like you owe them some level of customer service.) At least I realize the blog/organization belongs to you guys, I’m just hanging around. I’m surprised that’s not par for the course.

7. JMB on October 13th, 2006 11:55 am

Ahhh… good times.

8. shaunmc on October 13th, 2006 12:02 pm

When I think of this character telling Dan Devone about what DMZ’s done to him, the only scenario I can possibly imagine in my head is of Devone angrily shouting “STAAAAATHEEEEAAADDS!!!!” a la Wrath of Khan.

It’s not a pretty image.

9. hans on October 13th, 2006 12:02 pm

Wasn’t Boeing going to leave town for Chicago?

10. tomr on October 13th, 2006 12:11 pm

I am suprised that you guys never thought it was WFB looking to eat all of the food after you folks ripped him to shreads all season.

11. EnglishMariner on October 13th, 2006 12:11 pm

Maybe you should have brought him along, you know, as the ‘unannounced special guest’?

12. Mr. Egaas on October 13th, 2006 12:11 pm

I never thought we’d see Bavasi spelled incorrectly. I stand mistaken.

13. robbbbbb on October 13th, 2006 12:12 pm

I used to work for Boeing. I can totally imagine this. The place is full of people just like that.

I’d suggest that it was Charles Bofferding, Union President. He’s got the same kind of “you owe me” mentality. However, the writing is better and he shows more general intelligence.

14. EnglishMariner on October 13th, 2006 12:13 pm

No.10 … hehe, no wonder DMZ hasn’t given out the address in the blog/ emails. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Hargrove, WFB and Bad Beltre come along to extract some revenge.

15. JMB on October 13th, 2006 12:18 pm

How much pizza is there going to be?

STATHEADS! ANYONE!

16. tomr on October 13th, 2006 12:18 pm

No. 14 Now that would be a real butt kicking. Real baseball players vs. wantabees and stat heads.

17. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 12:23 pm

This guy apparently thinks being rude and impatient will get him what he wants.

Imagine that guy having to wait to grab a slice of pizza at the feed? I’m guessing you’re better off without him there no matter what.

18. robbbbbb on October 13th, 2006 12:24 pm

17: And you’re better off not telling everyone where the feed is at. Someone like that might just show up and crash the party, unpaid, unannounced, and uninvited.

19. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 12:26 pm

I assumed that was why the location wasn’t given out, to prevent people who didn’t RSVP from showing up.

I’m bummed I couldn’t go, but the sponsor for my softball team is throwing us an “end of season” party tonight.

20. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 12:27 pm

Plus I’m not sure I’m stat-savvy enough to attend!

21. Jed C on October 13th, 2006 12:29 pm

The sample size for the pizza will be adequate to fully analyze the statistics generated and the quality will be above replacement level. VORP = value over replacement pizza.

22. gwangung on October 13th, 2006 12:31 pm

Bring ‘em on! Let’s RUMBLE!

23. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 12:31 pm

#21: Hilarious! I just about spit water all over my desk!

24. Mat on October 13th, 2006 12:33 pm

Honestly, I’m surprised that you stuck with the conversation for that long. It was pretty amusing to read this, though.

25. FrayLo on October 13th, 2006 12:36 pm

Yep. I deal with people like that here at Boeing all the time. It’s scary.

26. terry on October 13th, 2006 12:41 pm

I have a question….you do provide doggy bags at the all you ca eat feed right?

27. Grizz on October 13th, 2006 12:41 pm

I’d pay $22 to see a battle royale between the USSM “Statheads!”, Hargrove, Bad Beltre, and WFB. No pizza needed.

I’d put my money on the scrappy USSM guys — Hargrove’s “aggressiveness” strategy would backfire due to his age; Bad Beltre would wear himself out from all the swinging and missing; and everyone knows that Bloomquist is defenseless against righthanders.

28. Spencer B on October 13th, 2006 12:43 pm

Now if he’d have brought up the Carlos Guillen trade….

29. Karen on October 13th, 2006 12:45 pm

I wonder what the Boeing Guy’s mindset is NOW, after reading this thread… :)

And if I weren’t so sure he’s reading it at this very minute, I’d suggest to you, DMZ, that you e-mail him a fake address for the feed, and have him show up at Izzy’s in Everett…

30. SoulofaCitizen on October 13th, 2006 12:46 pm

Not to stereotype all Boeing people since lots of my friends and neighbors work there, but there’s a wonderful St Louis restaurant/bar called Riddler’s Penultimate that makes some of the best food I’ve ever eaten and whose owner does not like George Bush and makes that clear in some posters he puts up.

The head of outsourcing for Boeing St Louis (from when they bought McDonnell Douglas) was going to bring some people to eat there, then saw the posters, flippedout and told him very nastily that he should stick to making food and now she wouldn’t. The owner quoted Dwight Eisenhower back to him on every American being a citizen and asked whether she didn’t prefera society where citizens spoke their minds than one where they don’t. He even offered to buy the group the first round of beers and come over to talk with them. But he never heard back. I thought her being the head of outsourcing was quite appropriate..

Enjoy the feed. I’d love to attend, even with mediocre pizza, but am speaking in chilly Duluth MN this week

31. DMZ on October 13th, 2006 12:47 pm

Yes, because all statheads are short, really fat guys who aren’t in any way athletic. Wheeee!

32. Xteve X on October 13th, 2006 12:50 pm

Wow. That guy was determined to get himself some pizza come hell or high water.

The only thing missing from his diatribe was a nice hearty PINERO IS TEH SUXOR!!!!!!!!!1

33. CCW on October 13th, 2006 12:51 pm

At what point did you realize that your conversation had evolved from annoying exchange to hilarious exchange worthy of posting? If you really went through with all that just be nice… wow, you’ve got more patience than me, that’s for sure.

34. A Series of Tubes on October 13th, 2006 12:53 pm

Wow I am an idiot.

All this time, I thought the “feed” referred to like…feeding information or something. Like a news feed, but geared towards the Mariners.

35. jtopps on October 13th, 2006 1:01 pm

I was originally disappointed that you didn’t post the location, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to be there in time for pizza, but was hoping to sort of crash it later in hopes of just getting to meet some of you.

Now I see why you did it the way you did. Besides not paying would be “unethical”.

In regards to the chinese grocery store owner reference — WTF?

36. scraps on October 13th, 2006 1:05 pm

Thank you, that made my day.

37. manzell on October 13th, 2006 1:16 pm

Wait, I thought it was assumed that the feed would be at Piecora’s.

38. DMZ on October 13th, 2006 1:25 pm

Nope, I never said that. This is why there were the weird multi-stage RSVP instructions.

39. colm on October 13th, 2006 1:27 pm

Shaunmc

How can you use the words “Dan Devone” and “not pretty” in the same post? If Dan Devone were not pretty what would be the point of putting him on TV?

40. David J. Corcoran I on October 13th, 2006 1:28 pm

There’s like 20 pizza places on Capitol Hill, and like 6 with rooms big enough for 50 people. I figured this out while trying to figure out where it was at when determining if I’d be able to go or not.

41. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 1:41 pm

I’m hungry, I think USSM should bring me some pizza for lunch, right now! LOL!

As for Dan Devone, I won’t comment on his looks, but I think he has voice modulation disorder. It seems like he’s yelling constantly during the Seahawks post-game show. Plus you have Chad Eaton there screaming his fool head off.

It’s as bad as listening to Chris Berman.

42. Evan on October 13th, 2006 1:46 pm

The all-you-can-eat question was dumb. The event was advertised as sporting “all the pizza you can eat (many varieties, lots of it)”, so by asking for the all-you-can-eat status to be confirmed, he basically telegraphed his “I’m here for the pizza” intentions.

43. EnglishMariner on October 13th, 2006 1:56 pm

The way Harden is pitching he might still have time to get to the feed, because he certainly won’t be pitching into the 9th on this display.

44. Thingray on October 13th, 2006 2:08 pm

Never mind on the pizza, I have Jack in the Box now.

I thought he made it pretty clear that he was only interested in the pizza by having such concern over the “all you can eat” status, and the quality of the pizza.

Personally, I would have been going to meet the people, and hear the Q&A. If there was decent pizza, that woould have just been a bonus.

45. Otto on October 13th, 2006 2:08 pm

#27 Thanks I needed that LOL

46. JK on October 13th, 2006 2:20 pm

Had the passing notion that this was actually a very clever and entertaining bit of fiction, but truth is truly stranger, especially on the net.

47. Roger on October 13th, 2006 3:07 pm

Ah, quantity over quality. I think the emailer MIGHT be Carl Everett.

48. Sports on a Schtick on October 13th, 2006 3:10 pm

Couldn’t the dude just order $22 worth of pizza and eat them by himself in his basement? $22 gets what, 2 larges? That’s enough for a person isn’t it?

I think he wanted to go for the salads. Are the salads all-you-can-eat?

49. 88fingerslukee on October 13th, 2006 3:55 pm

Seriously, how much can one dude eat? This guy MUST be Carl Everett.

50. Gomez on October 13th, 2006 4:23 pm

Good call keeping that guy at arm’s length. He clearly was somewhat off.

Also, good call keeping the location a secret. You don’t want ANY random fool walking in and ruining the whole thing.

51. Karen on October 13th, 2006 4:43 pm

Good call keeping that guy at arm’s length. He clearly was somewhat off.

Now that I’ve had a chance to think about it, I sure hope that guy isn’t on the 747 line or is anywhere close to aircraft assembly. What’s the Boeing equivalent of “going postal”?

I already don’t like flying, but Wednesday, and today’s email exchange give me the shivers.

52. Karen on October 13th, 2006 4:45 pm

And in other news, ARod’s plane skids off runway…

Aaaaaak!

53. Gomez on October 13th, 2006 4:53 pm

51. He’s not mad at aircraft or the world, just DMZ. And his beef is really just about pizza, rather than some deep seated anger at the world. So I think the world of air travel remains relatively safe.

54. sankthetank on October 13th, 2006 5:04 pm

As someone who works for Boeing (granted on satellites and in El Segundo, CA, respectively) all I can say is:
    1) this conversation was funny as hell!
    2) you Boeing guys in Seattle work with people like that? So much for my idea of transferring to BCA at some point…
    3) Alan Mulally does have a short temper at times…just saying!

55. NBarnes on October 13th, 2006 5:20 pm

Actually, I wanted to know if the pizza was gonna be any good, too, but I’m an amazing pizza snob. And it’s not why I wasn’t able to make it in any case, so I didn’t feel the need to ritually harass DMZ about it. >_>

56. Mike Hargrove's Cameltoe on October 13th, 2006 6:01 pm

You forgot balding.

57. Steve T on October 13th, 2006 6:31 pm

Hey, I’m not balding.

58. mln on October 13th, 2006 7:20 pm

“SFB” is actually you-know-who: WFB.

If Willie wants to come to the feed, sit in the back of the room, and snarf down all the pizza while everybody else talks about sabermetrics, why not let him? ;)

And I like how that conversation hops from talking about pizza to the merits of Bill Bavasi’s player acquisitions and then soon degenerates into namecalling.

Can’t We All Just Get Along?

59. feingarden on October 13th, 2006 7:43 pm

#56: As a short, really fat, non-balding, totally non-athletic guy I’m offended that you would associate me with statheads. ;)

60. Luke on October 13th, 2006 8:12 pm

I’m surprised he didn’t mail you back offering to still attend the feed if you’d give him a discounted rate.

61. JMHawkins on October 13th, 2006 11:04 pm

real baseball players vs. statheads

DMZ is right, not every, ahem, stathead, is either fat, balding and wimpy, or a pencil-necked geek.

But all the same, I’d just as soon not get into a scrape with J.J. Putz.

62. terry on October 14th, 2006 4:29 am

#56: yes but atleast during the steroid era, statheads had bigger stones…..

63. John in NV on October 14th, 2006 11:35 am

Derek — Thanks for the laugh. No way you want that guy there. Hope all have a great time and wish I could attend. Best wishes and thanks for the site, as always.

64. IP on October 14th, 2006 11:58 am

OK, that was funny.

I’m a busy guy. Sorry

Pure comedy gold.

65. JI on October 14th, 2006 12:22 pm

I think he was just playing a joke. He *repeatedly* misspelled the easy-to-spell words over and over again. As far as trolling goes, I give it a B-.

66. carcinogen on October 14th, 2006 1:46 pm

That guy has a job, and I don’t…the world is a just and fair place.

67. Jimmie the Geek on October 16th, 2006 12:40 pm

I was just wondering whatever became of Mike “now pitching” Ipscone. Thanks for clearing that up for me, DMZ!

Jimmie