#28 with a bullet

DMZ · October 26, 2006 at 8:30 am · Filed Under Off-topic ranting

My upcoming book “The Cheater’s Guide to Baseball” ($11! You can’t lose!) is currently ranked ~#10,000 overall, making it, to my great delight, #28 (among, uh, Baseball Bestsellers) Baseball Prospectus 2006, which is now a full season old, is #32, but Tim McCarver’s “Baseball for Brain Surgeons and Other Fans” is #49. Yeah! Take that, Tim McCarver!

Hee hee hee. So if you pre-ordered yesterday, thanks. If you haven’t, there’s still time! Hurry! Or.. it might come out! And you don’t have to use Amazon — you should be able to go to your local independent and get them to order it.

Update! #11, just ahead of Game of Shadows! HA! And just behind Seth Mnookin’s Red Sox book which, unless I’m mistaken, is BP’s “Mind Game” with a different title and cover, released much later. Yes, I’m talking trash about other baseball books now.

19 Responses to “#28 with a bullet”

1. waldo rojas on October 26th, 2006 10:45 am

#26 now.

Only seven more rungs to climb before you beat out Derek Jeter’s Life Lessons. One more puts you ahead of the hot chicks in swimsuits.

2. dan@jackson on October 26th, 2006 11:05 am

Yes, your independent bookstore will be very happy to pre-order it for you.

3. Coach Owens on October 26th, 2006 11:05 am

Number #11 now. Congrats Derek.

4. Evan on October 26th, 2006 11:11 am

#11. I’m impressed. Moneyball here you come.

Soon you could have Joe Morgan claiming Kenny Rogers wrote your book.

5. patl on October 26th, 2006 11:14 am

You’re welcome 🙂

6. PositivePaul on October 26th, 2006 12:17 pm

Isn’t it fitting that, just like reported cheater-extraordinaire, you just past The Babe…

7. LB on October 26th, 2006 12:18 pm

… Seth Mnookin’s Red Sox book which, unless I’m mistaken, is BP’s “Mind Game” with a different title and cover, released much later.

Very, very mistaken, unless Bob Woodward wrote Mind Game.

8. mark s. on October 26th, 2006 1:07 pm

I had an idea:
    Why don’t you email “Mike and Mike in the Morning” at ESPN in hope of getting your book mentioned on the air. A book with the title “The Cheater’s Guide to Baseball” would fit the topic of Ken Roger’s dirty hand.

9. Grubbie on October 26th, 2006 1:08 pm

Up to #9 for baseball and #45 for all sports. I will help the cause and preorder it tonight and see how high(or low depending on how you view it) it can go.

10. Mat on October 26th, 2006 1:17 pm

What’s crazy to me is that years after its release, Moneyball currently holds the #2 and #14 spots on that list.

11. DMZ on October 26th, 2006 1:57 pm

Yeah, Billy Beane’s made a lot of money off his book. (ducking)

12. JI on October 26th, 2006 3:29 pm

#7 now, WOOT!!!

Soon, when my crappy bank, which shall be nameless (-COUGH- Bank of America -COUGH-) mails me my new debit card, I’ll buy a copy. Its going on a month now.

13. dan@jackson on October 26th, 2006 3:33 pm

Actually a friend of mine gave me an autographed copy of “Moneyball”.Signed by Michael Lewis? Nope. By Billy hisownself.

14. phildopip1 on October 26th, 2006 3:59 pm

I preordered it this afternoon. Woohoo!!!!

15. docmwj on October 26th, 2006 5:24 pm

Me too!!!
    Can’t wait for the read..mj

16. DMZ on October 26th, 2006 7:29 pm

I will point out that sales rank doesn’t mean a whole ton of sales. I was surprised to learn that estimates are that if you’re at #1,000 you might only be selling a couple dozen books a week.

17. dan@jackson on October 27th, 2006 1:07 pm

Amazon rankings are problematical. Although units sold have a great deal of weight in the manner in which rankings are calculated, there are other factors Amazon uses as well. Some sort of forumla I don’t have much information about.

18. Evan on October 27th, 2006 3:11 pm

Somehow I started on the page for Derek’s book and ended up at How to Survive a Robot Uprising.

Well, now I know.

19. mark s. on October 27th, 2006 3:19 pm

Hey, DMZ just wanted to let you know I pre-ordered 3 copys of the book last night, one for me, my gf and a friend of mine. If I think of anyone else that would like a copy of the book I’ll add them to the list.