WaPo report: M’s agree to trade Snelling, Fruto for Vidro

DMZ · December 13, 2006 at 5:14 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Article here.

The Washington Nationals took a major step toward freeing room on their future payroll and breaking loose a logjam in the middle infield, agreeing to trade second baseman Jose Vidro — who has spent his entire career with the Montreal-Washington organization — to the Seattle Mariners for a pair of prospects that could contribute to the 2007 team, Vidro said in a telephone interview tonight.

The trade — which is pending a physical for Vidro, expected to take place Thursday

I guess we hope Vidro blows that physical like a horse in Enumclaw, because this is crazy.

Chris Snelling is a 25-year old corner outfielder with an injury history and a plus arm who hit .250/.360/.427. Based on his PECOTA projections, he’s one of the best hitting prospects in baseball. He was the third or fourth-best hitter on the team last year (performance, not taking playing time into account).

Fruto’s a 22-year old reliever. He’s a big boy. He’s got a ridiculous change and through his whole career in the minors he was as stingy giving up the home run as you could possibly hope for.

Jose Vidro is a 31-yr old second baseman who hit .289/.348/.395 for the Nationals last year.

Does this bode ill for Jose Lopez? It does.

Nearly as important for Washington, however, is that Seattle has agreed to pay $12 million of the remaining $16 million left on Vidro’s contract for 2007 and ’08.

You don’t take that on if he’s going to sit.

The Mariners have traded two players, one finally healthy and tearing the cover off the ball who can play right or left, and a still younger, cheap, effective reliever in order to acquire a 31-year old passable hitter who plays a position where team has another cheap, effective player (if Hargrove would just stop telling him to ground out over and over).

I’ve tried to come up with a justification for this, and I can’t. There must be another deal waiting, which makes this hard to justify in isolation: at least one of Broussard/Lopez/Sexson is going to be booted.

But this move hurts the team. More than just next season: Snelling and Fruto were both the kind of players who could be parts of the next Mariner championship team. Snelling in particular could be one of the best hitters on any team (if he stays healthy, of course), and he’s under team control for years for very little money. Jose Vidro’s a declining, increasingly immobile player on the wrong side of his peak who’ll be paid an immense amount of money. Vidro will not help the M’s win a pennant. If it comes to be, this will be one of the worst trades the team’s ever made, even if Snelling never plays another game and Fruto doesn’t throw another strike.

This is ridiculous garbage.

Update: Geoff Baker at the Seattle Times writes

Another offensive upgrade for the Mariners is to be finalized later this week when Jose Vidro joins the team as its full-time designated hitter.

No, but whatever.

“I think this is the best deal for me,” Vidro said in a telephone interview tonight from his home in Puerto Rico. “By me becoming the DH it will give me the chance to focus exclusively on my hitting and not have to worry about all that other stuff.”

So DH it is, which means the team’ll be paying him a ton of money to be a below-average DH. Broussard’s then the obvious next move.

Update: the hot rumor is that this also involved picking up Vidro’s 2009 option, which is a dingleberry topping on the shit frosting on today’s shit cake. Whee.

Comments

209 Responses to “WaPo report: M’s agree to trade Snelling, Fruto for Vidro”

1. Adam on December 13th, 2006 5:16 pm

Server crash from overload of “WHAT THE ****!?” comments in at once… 5.. 4… 3… 2..

2. Jerry Pezzino on December 13th, 2006 5:16 pm

Pack it up. Throw out the tarp..let’s bring the bulldozers in here and turn this place into a parking lot.

3. David* on December 13th, 2006 5:17 pm

Why. Is there a reason why? Why. Someone tell me why.

4. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:17 pm

DJAFKJ;LAEIKFJE;LKAEW UT;LIJAERBG JWAMNEI;OTAPOIJEW ;ILFNJAEW JHEW~~~~ NOOOOO LETS KILLJ BAVASI

IM GETTIN A HIT MAN RIGHT NOW…

FUCK LETS BOMB THE DAMN SFAFE. ANEYTHING!!!! JJKLDJFA;EKJF;LAEJF;JAEKJF;LAKJEF;LA!!!!!!!

5. proncis on December 13th, 2006 5:18 pm

yeah, this is no good

6. Tak on December 13th, 2006 5:18 pm

just cuz

7. revbill on December 13th, 2006 5:19 pm

I can’t wait to see who Bavasi gets for Lopez!

8. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 5:19 pm

Vidro says this about the M’s:

I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to go to the American League and play for a team that has a pretty good shot. They have a legitimate lineup, and they’re going to sign some pitchers. It’s looking very good.

Some pitchers?

The same article describes Snelling as a “prospect”.

9. etowncoug on December 13th, 2006 5:19 pm

I’m not a huge fan of 2B who are over 30. This is looking more and more like Pat Gillick is at the helm…

10. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:19 pm

I seriously think Corco has lost it

11. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 5:19 pm

Derek, your thoughts on this trade.

12. Edgar For Pres on December 13th, 2006 5:20 pm

I need reasons. Come on, somebody smart who understands the M’s motives for this….What the heck is going on?

13. NextYear on December 13th, 2006 5:20 pm

This is even more incompetent than the Soriano trade. > My seven year-old could make better deals.

14. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:20 pm

OK. There has to be something rational. This can’t be right.

15. shirts on December 13th, 2006 5:21 pm

If this is really true…I quit.

16. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 5:21 pm

But hey, look on the bright side — the M’s only have to pay $12 million of the $16 million left on Vidro’s contract for the next two years.

17. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 5:21 pm

I seriously think Corco has lost it

Just be thankful he’s not drunk again. Or is he?

18. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:21 pm

Carl Everett is as good a DH as Vidro.

19. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:21 pm

Maybe Bill has a trade in the works that sends Sexson and Vidro to Ra in exchange for everlasting life.

That cad!

20. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 5:22 pm

Not drunk, just coked up.

21. bradderup on December 13th, 2006 5:22 pm

kill me

22. IdahoInvader on December 13th, 2006 5:22 pm

Wow…

They really are sticklers for that “no walks” policy for our batters

23. Zero Gravitas on December 13th, 2006 5:23 pm

I had a feeling they weren’t going to give Snelling playing time after the Bloomquist extension and the Jose Guillen signing. But I didn’t think they were stupid enough to actually trade him, for crying out loud. I hope he gets a lot of at-bats this year and feasts on that juicy NL pitching.

Anyway – why in hell would we need a second baseman? I cant imagine what goes on in Bavasi’s head. How will they even attempt to explain this as improving the team? I know it’s been said before already, but seriously – WHAT THE F***?!?

All we can hope for now is to lose so many games in April and May that the whole management crew is fired before the all-star break.

24. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:24 pm

Ah yes, Corco you dog. Hitting the nose candy again before jumping on the keyboard to trade cannonballs with the U.S.S. Mariner eh?

I wish I’d thought of that.

Seriously though, fuck Bill Bavasi

25. fosio on December 13th, 2006 5:25 pm

HUH?!? The reasoning behind this being?!? No trust in Betancourt and/or Lopez? Another deal in the works? Maybe Beltre? Needed the additional 3rd (and apparently EXPENSIVE) infielder to replace someone who will soon be departing? Any concerns that Betancourt may be deported or something?

Can 1 of Lopez, Betancourt or Vidro play 3rd?

This is baffling. As has been the rest of the recent moves this off-season. I don’t understand it.

26. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 5:25 pm

Although Vidro has an excellent career avg. for a second baseman and a pretty good OBP. Hmmmm. I must think about this.

27. ChrisK on December 13th, 2006 5:26 pm

Can’t wait for the spin on this one:

Vidro: Former All-Star! Can tutor Lopez. Former All-Star!
    Snelling: Too injury prone, clears OF logjam w/ Bloomquist & Morse
    Fruto: Sucked during his call-up; we have too many relievers anyway

28. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:26 pm

OK. I’ve calmed down a little bit. That said, I still really want to kill something.

29. Ralph on December 13th, 2006 5:26 pm

Hopefully Vidro will just split time with Broussard at DH, and this isn’t a sign of an impending Lopez trade.

None of these moves are shocking me this offseason. You have to consider who the “trigger puller” is.

30. Josh on December 13th, 2006 5:28 pm

Think this has something to do with the Betancourt news?

I’m not saying it does, but I don’t know why else they would even have interest in Vidro.

Time to move to the other Washington…

31. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:28 pm

Go Nats.

32. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:30 pm

Now I’m really sad. I just, I’m sad. I’m sad that there are people in our society as stupid as Bill Bavasi.

33. shaunmc on December 13th, 2006 5:30 pm

A wine-drunk hobo with mild retardation and no working knowledge of major league baseball could make a better trade than this. It’s unfathomable. This HAS GOT to be part of a series of deals. It just don’t make any sense otherwise.

Then again, neither did the Soriano deal.

34. The Ancient Mariner on December 13th, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, if this move to Scottsdale goes through, I think I just root for the D-Backs until somebody with a brain is running the M’s.

Please, somebody, go bribe the team physician . . .

35. terry on December 13th, 2006 5:30 pm

I’m numb to the Ms……

36. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:31 pm

who is gonna start up firebillbavasi.com?

37. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:32 pm

never mind, it’s already up

38. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:33 pm

I don’t know. I can’t be a fan anymore. But I have to be. Thanks for putting me in this shitty place, Bill.

39. jaysbaseballfan on December 13th, 2006 5:33 pm

The talent going the otherway isn’t that bad…but what are they gonna do with Vidro? Don’t they already have Jose Lopez? Neither will play short, right? And Vidro better not be DH….you can get Carlos Pena or something for like 1.5 million to be a better DH.

40. F-Rod on December 13th, 2006 5:35 pm

Snelling has done nothing to show he will be a great player for anyone in the future…I think he could probably be an ok dh but don’t think he will ever stay healthy enough to be a real good of asset. He is a pretty good walker but doesn’t have plus power… Would you sign Jose Vidro to a 2 yr free agent contract? I would… I need to wait and see what the other shoe is to drop (Lopez/Sexson blockbuster?)before I pass judgement.

41. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:35 pm

I bet money Vidro is the DH. And that’s the problem.

And the talent was too much. It’s not even that Snelling is in the deal. I’d be pissed if we swapped Fruto straight up for Vidro.

Vidro is PTBNL material, especially if we’re taking on salary.

42. jaysbaseballfan on December 13th, 2006 5:36 pm

At least you guys don’t have the Orioles management.

43. atait on December 13th, 2006 5:36 pm

You would sign Vidro to a 2-year contract? Really?

Really?

44. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 5:36 pm

I say, emergency USSM feed. Talk about ways to blackmail or get Bill out of his job because he’s ruining this team!

45. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:36 pm

Jose Vidro is not a good baseball player.

46. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:36 pm

maybe bill just wants to have his players go up the ladder of pay roll?

One guy for 1 million one for 2 million etc.

Well he already has 10, 14 and 12 in the hopper.

47. terry on December 13th, 2006 5:37 pm

I’m afraid, very afraid of the next 48 hrs….

This is shit that is still felt five years into the future….

48. NBarnes on December 13th, 2006 5:37 pm

Wow.

Just… wow.

You know what I wish? I wish that great baseball writers and bloggers like the three of you here and Jeff over at Lookout Landing were all… in Oakland. Or Boston. Or Milwaukee (well, I don’t wish Milwaukee on you lot). But your talents and fandom are wasted here in Seattle. I love this city, but… wow.

Wow.

49. bradderup on December 13th, 2006 5:38 pm

Didn’t Vidro play a little at first at some point in his career?

50. cougs129 on December 13th, 2006 5:38 pm

ridiculous… I don’t even know what to say right now… Vidro doesn’t help us out in the present of future… Snelling if not in the present would of definately helped us out in the future… A totally dumb trade… I am also afraid to see what trade is coming up next

51. DKCecil on December 13th, 2006 5:38 pm

These are the times when you don’t know whether to kick something or cry, and are therefore stuck in-between emotions. It’s a weird feeling.

52. bat guano on December 13th, 2006 5:39 pm

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Vidro and Guillen are good buddies and they’re gonna take up the leadership slack in the clubhouse left after the departure of C-Rex? Cause I’m afraid that’s the way these Mariner “baseball minds” are thinking. Nothing like a little veteran leadership, and who needs young players anyway? They just make mistakes……

53. mln on December 13th, 2006 5:39 pm

This has got to be a joke. Are the Mariners now going to move Lopez, their young All-Star shortstop with upside, to play the 31-year old injury prone Vidro?

Just when you thought that Bavasi couldn’t do anything stupider than the Soriano trade, he tops himself.

Bavasi is obviously making desperation moves in order to save his own job. If he blows up the Mariners in the process, so be it.

Bill Bavasi is definitely teh suck.

Maybe, USS Mariner should change it name to … USS Titantic.

54. 88fingerslukee on December 13th, 2006 5:39 pm

how are they wasted?

55. mln on December 13th, 2006 5:41 pm

correction: should be USS Titanic.

56. lokiforever on December 13th, 2006 5:41 pm

I predict that Asdrubal Cabrera, Chris Snelling and, wait for it, Gil Meche have break-out seasons in 2007 (Maybe 2008 for Cabrera)

Just wait and see

57. CCW on December 13th, 2006 5:42 pm

No fucking way.

58. gwangung on December 13th, 2006 5:44 pm

That’s Hargrove-think.

You don’t need greatness; you need goodness that’s cheap. And his OBP and above average slugging (not star level) was both good and cheap.

His health is a question, but that wouldn’t dictate a trade.

59. cougs129 on December 13th, 2006 5:44 pm

I can’t figure out why this trade makes any sense… Sure Snelling is injury prone but so is Vidro… No wonder we are always stuck looking for left handed pop it’s cause we trade all of it away… Who can Vidro help us this season? Play 2nd no thanks rather have Lopez… DH? No thanks Broussard is very capable of handling the job, just as Snelling would have been… Maybe Vidro is that platoon player they were looking to platoon with Broussard at DH this move just makes zero sense everyway you look at it… Plus just added 12 mil to payroll for the next 2 years… Thanks Bill for ruining this organization

60. jaysbaseballfan on December 13th, 2006 5:45 pm

i take that back about the talent. fruto has some upside.

61. F-Rod on December 13th, 2006 5:45 pm

Vidro might be a DH/2b/1b/3b guy..with most ab’s at DH, saving his legs…this is probably a plus for the 2007 M’s…maybe not the future though….How in the world is Vidro not a good baseball player? He might be trending down but his career line is 301/363/459 that is pretty awesome for any player.

62. ChrisK on December 13th, 2006 5:45 pm

Mr. Bavasi, a Mr. Billy Beane is on the other line. Wants to talk about that Jeremy Reed guy. He says he’s got some players you’re REALLY going to love…

63. jjb on December 13th, 2006 5:46 pm

This isn’t true. The Washington Post is not a reliable media source!

Um, right?

64. JMHawkins on December 13th, 2006 5:46 pm

Clearly someone has stolen Bavasi’s logon creds for MLBs real-life version of Sportsline’s fantasy commissioner software.

logged in as: BaldBill37

You have pending trade offers for review.
    Nats (BigBowie14) offers: Vidro, Jose for Snelling, Chris and Fruto, E.

Do you want to?
    -Accept
    -Reject
    -Evaluate

65. stoyboy on December 13th, 2006 5:47 pm

This is definitely a prelude to a major trade(Sexson or Beltre) with the last piece needed being Lopez. Look for a + starter and a slugging outfielder coming our way.

66. msb on December 13th, 2006 5:48 pm

see, now, my mental headline was Fuckfuckfuckityfuck.

Glasgow on KOMO mentioned that this report was coming from Vidro, and could only assume that Vidro was to be the DH due to his collapsing knees.

67. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 5:49 pm

I just can’t believe that. I truly think he’s our DH next year.

68. cougs129 on December 13th, 2006 5:51 pm

So we got Vidro so Broussard can sit on the bench? What makes bonehead bob think Vidro will be more productive then Broussard this year or that Snelling would have been… Also, with the trading of Soriano I am sure Fruto would of been a decent piece for the bullpen this year… He really is digging this organization deeper and deeper into misery

69. F-Rod on December 13th, 2006 5:51 pm

Since 1999 Vidro’s worst combined stats and best combined stats (any year mismatched)
    Worst 275/339/395
    Best 330/397/540

How does this guy suck….that is a bizarre non-sensical statemnt!

70. msb on December 13th, 2006 5:52 pm

Glasgow vamped for the news with talk of a trade rumor, and I was happily thinking finally, Sexson. Feh.

(btw, I was also having an additional minor coronary as I couldn’t get the laptop to turn back on so that I could vent due to ‘fan error’. anyone have a reliable laptop repair guy?)

71. Mat on December 13th, 2006 5:52 pm

Attempt to rationalize:

Fruto’s got enough control problems that he might not be an asset in the ‘pen even if he costs the minimum.

Snelling is such an injury risk that you can’t expect more than 100 AB out of him in any given season.

Vidro provides depth in the middle infield?

Now, suspending reality for a second and pretending that I believe these things (which I don’t), I still don’t see how this makes sense. Didn’t anyone in the Mariners’ organization notice last year when Jose Lopez was on the freakin’ All-Star team? Now granted, I don’t think that he’s the best second baseman in the AL, and he had a pretty bad second half, but still–for the minimum, he was carrying his weight and his first half showed his potential to be a very useful player. Lopez wasn’t/isn’t in need of replacement. Vidro has no place on this team. Just on that alone–there wouldn’t really be any reason to pick up his current contract even if you didn’t give up any players to do so.

There have to be more moves. No one is this silly. Dave has said before that when the Mariners do something that initially seems very confusing there almost always turns out to be a very good reason behind it. I guess I’ll hope for that.

72. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 5:54 pm

#2 on Jose Vidro’s list of most comparable batters through age 31: Jeff Cirillo. #1 is Carlos Baerga, #3 is Bill Madlock. I hope he turns into Bill Madlock and not Cirillo.

73. DMZ on December 13th, 2006 5:54 pm

Well, time to start drinking. Heavily.

74. Calderon on December 13th, 2006 5:54 pm

I’ve felt for a long time that Bavasi was the best GM Lincoln might hire (and I mean that in the nicest way to Bavasi possible), and that in a lot of ways, we’ve been lucky to get him, because the organization as a whole is a lot better off today than it was a couple years ago.-Derek Zumsteg

Mr. Zumsteg, please reconsider your stance on Bavasi. There’s no Pat Gillick to blame this time around to blame. Jose Vidro sure isn’t a local boy from the Pacific Northwest. Which leaves us to draw the most intelligent conclusion that Bavasi is a madman. He’s an incompetent stupid General Manager and his detractors were right all along.

75. JeffS on December 13th, 2006 5:54 pm

WHAT THE??? Vidro isn’t a bad option at 2nd, but we could’ve signed Giles and gotten a similar player. That is if we needed a 2nd baseman :)

76. Gregor on December 13th, 2006 5:55 pm

However, I believe Dave said this before the Soriano trade.

Sigh.

77. terry on December 13th, 2006 5:56 pm

Yep guillen was a great signing…. I give you Snelling’s ticket out of town…

Instead of aging, expensive farts, these are the kinds of players I’d be stockpiling:

2007: .314/.390/.529 EqA: .310
    2008: .311/.389/.524 EqA: .309
    2009: .309/.391/.527 EqA: .311
    2010: .313/.394/.539 EqA: .315

If only the Ms had just one guy who was major league ready and might be expected to do that for cheap…. People need to chill. We’re being too hard on Bavasi-where is he supposed to get mythical guys like someone who could do the above?

78. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 5:57 pm

Hey we are stockpiling talent for now people!! 117 wins here we come!!!!**

**Over the next 3 years

79. DMZ on December 13th, 2006 5:58 pm

Here’s part of why you can’t go through Vidro’s career and randomly pick out some lines: he’s not that player any more. He’s got bum knees and his hamstring started to slow him seriously last year. He’s not the same hitter he was at 27 when he put up that sweet .315/.378/.490 line and he’s not the same defender either.

80. hub on December 13th, 2006 5:58 pm

This is the type of deal that should cause Bavasi to double-lock all his doors at night, and hire a couple bodyguards to watch his back.

81. tgf on December 13th, 2006 5:58 pm

That’s it. No longer following this team. I’ve had it.

82. DKCecil on December 13th, 2006 5:59 pm

77, how are we being too hard on him? We traded a useful player and a potential decent bullpen arm for a guy who, while hitting well a few years prior, is in a bit of a decline and has injury problems. And plays the same position as one of our few young, good players. Meaning he’ll either DH (where we have similar, cheaper options) or Lopez is gone. Are either of those good scenarios, really?

83. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 5:59 pm

No one said Vidro sucks. But we’re paying him $6 million a year to replace 2 cheap players — Snelling and Lopez — each of whom is a better hitter than Vidro. I don’t understand the logic to that.

Vidro used to have power, but it seems to be gone. He has never had speed. He used to be a very high OBP guy but it has declined substantially the last couple years (probably because of injuries). An awful lot of his OBP is batting average because he doesn’t walk that much. He is not a great glove man at 2B.

From 1999 to 2004 he was a very productive hitter, but now he’s just average. Nothing special.

84. msb on December 13th, 2006 5:59 pm

#73–Well, time to start drinking. Heavily.

I just cracked the first post-implant alcohol.

and I want my Chris Antonetti t-shirt for opening day.

85. Mat on December 13th, 2006 6:00 pm

No, no it’s not. AL average at DH last year: .264/.349/.469. So Vidro maybe gives you slightly more OBP, but you lose a lot of power to get that OBP. At best, Vidro is an average DH. Snelling hit .250/.360/.427 last season and was forecasted by PECOTA at .305/.384/.503. If Vidro and Snelling were both sitting on the end of the bench, Snelling would be the better choice at DH. But to completely give up Snelling and Fruto just to pick Vidro over Snelling? Which way to the bar again?

86. Matthew Carruth on December 13th, 2006 6:01 pm

70, msb. Holy shit. I have the EXACT same problem with my laptop. started 2 days ago. Let me know what you plan on doing about it. BTW, mines an IBM thinkpad.

87. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 6:02 pm

Career average means nothing with Vidro, because he’s on the downslide of that career. His best years are behind him and he’s almost certain to underperform his career average.

88. Wsumojo on December 13th, 2006 6:03 pm

Maybe this free’s up Jose Lopez to trade for a RP like Mike Stanton to take over Soriano’s hole in the bullpen?

89. ChrisK on December 13th, 2006 6:03 pm

Lopez for…?

90. bradderup on December 13th, 2006 6:05 pm

I think 75 brings up a good point, why not pick up a younger Giles for half the cost, and keep Snelling and Fruto, when the only big difference between Vidro and Giles is their BA

91. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:05 pm

88: Normally I’d laugh my *** off but dont say those things…could actually happen

92. IP on December 13th, 2006 6:06 pm

There is not one fucking rationalization anyone can construct that makes this deal make sense.

No. Just fucking no.

93. Ralph Malph on December 13th, 2006 6:06 pm

If it’s not Mike Stanton, I have a feeling one of Royce Clayton, Matthew Lecroy, or Wiki Gonzalez might be coming our way.

94. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:07 pm

Hey! We got to pick up Vidro’s 09 option too!

95. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:08 pm

All ex-Nat free agents?

96. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:08 pm

Anyone else having the problem of saying appropriate things right now on this board…so the cops don’t show up at your door for threatening someone with the name that rhymes with Mavasi?

97. alfredo on December 13th, 2006 6:08 pm

It’s like watching someone you love being slowly tortured to death in front of your eyes, and there’s not a god damned thing you can do about it. Fuck Bill Bavasi!

98. cougs129 on December 13th, 2006 6:10 pm

sooo anybody meet me at seatac tomorrow? make it so vidro can’t pass physical?

99. VaBeachMarinersFan on December 13th, 2006 6:10 pm

Sweet. 3 years instead of 2. Its like getting kicked in the nuts twice by a guy wearing sneakers, then he puts on a steel toe boot and kicks a third time.

I just don’t grok what has happened in the past two weeks. Seriously. WTF Bill.

100. hub on December 13th, 2006 6:10 pm

Mr. Bill must have been watching those Old Navy ‘Fleece’ commercials. ‘Cause that’s just what happened. What a joke of a GM he’s turned out to be.

101. Bigfoot Hunter on December 13th, 2006 6:10 pm

I’m going to boo Vidro whenever he gets up to bat.

102. Mat on December 13th, 2006 6:10 pm

I was trying to give Vidro the benefit of the doubt. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, and suppose that he can hit for his career average next year, this looks bad. More “fun”:

.273/.344/.396 — Vidro’s PECOTA weighted mean forecast for 2006
    .289/.348/.395 — Vidro’s actual 2006
    .272/.346/.393 — Vidro’s 2007 line from last year’s PECOTA

103. DC_Mariner on December 13th, 2006 6:11 pm

For what it’s worth:
    I was an intern at a local TV station in DC this summer, and I spent a lot of time in the Nationals locker room after games. I know baseball players usually do not have the most defined bodies, but seeing Jose Vidro almost made me laugh. The man’s body is not just out of shape, he had man-boobs. I couldn’t believe it, he didn’t seem like he could be a good professional athlete. And before you start the rumors, I am straight. You just notice when someone you aspire towards totally changes your preconceptions.

104. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:11 pm

you don;t have to trade for someone like Stanton.

#86– mine as well. it doesn’t do it if I leave it on constantly :) I’ve never had to deal with something like this before, which is why I was hoping someone knew someone who’d take a look and not act like it was a Ford transmission getting ready to die …

105. mln on December 13th, 2006 6:12 pm

Bill Bavasi is obviously trying his hardest to earn the title of “Dumbest GM in Baseball.”

This about says it all:

Jim Bowden > Bill Bavasi

You go, Bill!

106. A Series of Tubes on December 13th, 2006 6:12 pm

Well my 2 friends, who are at my house, just happen to be huge Mariners/Doyle fans.

and they also happen to have a massive quantity of cheap cheap wine.

I think I might have a plan…

107. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:13 pm

#103– how can you not notice man-boobs?

108. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:13 pm

I wish they announced Bill Bavasi when the do the lineups…then at least we could boo the guy…I guess 40 signs against management hanging around Safeco will be fun too

109. hub on December 13th, 2006 6:15 pm

I’m stuck down here in Florida ATM, but I’m giving a BIG (I’m talking case here) toast to Doyle. I hope he excels, and becomes the topic of discussion on ESPN for the next 10 years everytime ‘Dumb Trades’ comes up.

110. AlvinDavisRocks on December 13th, 2006 6:15 pm

Well, no one can complain that they’re not adding salary.

So THIS is what it feels like to be owned by Jim Bowden.

111. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:16 pm

hmm. on the next KOMO sports update Glasgow doesn’t sound like he gets this one either, and the way he’s stressing it, he’s hoping for Vidro to fail the physical.

112. DC_Mariner on December 13th, 2006 6:16 pm

I was just trying to cover my bases. But seriously, with his body, I’m not surprised he has had knee problems. I think we would all agree that as an athlete ages his physical condition becomes more important (see: Julio Franco), and it just seems to me that Vidro’s condition is going to hamper him even more.

113. cgmonk on December 13th, 2006 6:16 pm

Omar Vizquel for the save!

One can only hope on that physical.

114. lokiforever on December 13th, 2006 6:17 pm

Wow – 113+ comments in the hour this has been up

115. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:17 pm

Take me out to the barn shed…take me out with a bat

Buy me a taser and pellet gun, I promise you a certain GM wont be back

For its root root root for a new GM…Because the M’s wont win cause of him

So its One (SMACK), two (ZZZT), three (POP) strikes you’re gone thanks to the USSM angry fans!!

116. adamt on December 13th, 2006 6:18 pm

Someone stop the bleeding before the Mariners flatline.

__^__^__^_____________

117. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:19 pm

Between Vidro and Snelling, our odds of the physical failing have got to be pretty high.

118. Mat on December 13th, 2006 6:20 pm

So, in less than the space of a year, Jim Bowden has been able to turn Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, and Jose Vidro into Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez, Chris Snelling, and Emiliano Fruto. That’s impressive.

119. Jared on December 13th, 2006 6:21 pm

Are modeling ourselves after the San Francisco Giants?

(man boobs?)

120. dw on December 13th, 2006 6:21 pm

You know what surprises me? Jim Bowden did this deal. JIM BOWDEN.

Someone please convince me our GM wasn’t killed sometime last year and replaced with Cam Bonifay in a Bill Bavasi suit.

121. Jeff Nye on December 13th, 2006 6:24 pm

So, what team should I start rooting for?

122. Pete on December 13th, 2006 6:24 pm

What’s the M’s fan response e-mail address again? Let’s fill that shit up.

123. terry on December 13th, 2006 6:24 pm

well if you can’t sign an arm for the rotation with street cred, why not plug the gaping hole in your middle infield by trading for a position player with street cred?

Its an awesome move too….the Ms didn’t lose out on the hired guns because they didn’t want to spend…this proves it, they’re willing to take on payroll…

we should be overjoyed…. chill people….chill….woohooo….

124. shirts on December 13th, 2006 6:24 pm

Maybe Bavasi knows he is out at the end of the year anyway, so he’s doing everything he can to blow up anything and everything good about this team. Jim Bowden is outsmarting Bavasi? What is going on here?

125. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:25 pm

121: I’m liking the Nats, actually.

126. alfredo on December 13th, 2006 6:25 pm

Let’s say that we have a deal on the table that would allow us to move Lopez for some young stud pitcher, let’s just assume that. It still doesn’t make a damn lick of sense to make this deal, you can go out and pick up Marcus Giles for a hell of a lot less money, or some retread of the heap to play 2nd and keep Snelling and Fruto. Instead you sink how many millions down the hole that is Vidro. Why? Because we need an “established” 2nd baseman?

WTF!

127. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:25 pm

Rotoworld:

Can’t someone fire Bill Bavasi before he does anymore damage? The Mariners are taking on $12 million of the $16 million Vidro is owed over the next two years, which would be reasonable if Vidro still happened to be a quality defensive second baseman. As is, the Mariners figure to DH him and keep Jose Lopez at second base. Vidro’s OPS has dropped four straight seasons, falling to 763 in 2005 and 744 last season. Also, he hasn’t remained healthy enough to get 500 at-bats since 2003. Snelling certainly had a realistic chance of being a better DH, and Fruto has a fair amount of upside as either a starter or a reliever. Amazingly enough, this is another winner for Nats GM Jim Bowden.

It’s possible the Mariners want Vidro to play second base over Jose Lopez, but it doesn’t seem very likely. Vidro would have a better chance of bouncing back offensively as a DH, and he’s a weaker defender than Lopez at this point of his career. The Orioles have inquired about Broussard and still could acquire him, though the Mariners may not have any interest in Rodrigo Lopez.

Not only are the Mariners taking on $12 million of Jose Vidro’s $16 million salary for the next two years, they’re also going to give him a vesting option for 2009 to make up for him waiving his no-trade clause. It just keeps getting better. At least the Mariners didn’t give up talent when they brought in Carl Everett to DH last season. The trade sending Vidro to Seattle for Chris Snelling and Emiliano Fruto is set to be officially announced on Thursday.

128. Pete on December 13th, 2006 6:25 pm

I’m not sure what to do. This kind of thing is just breaking my heart. Why not run the future of the team into the ground for no reason at all? Why do we need Vidro anyway? We already have an infield.

129. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:29 pm

Marcus Giles> Jose Vidro
    Marcus Giles has had more playoff appearances than Jose Vidro.

130. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:29 pm

does Bill maybe know that he is going to get the GM job in DC in ’08?

131. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:29 pm

FWIW…the deal was done during the Winter Meetings but just got announced because Vidro had to ‘ok’ it..that makes me wonder even more now…this was an ‘old’ deal..didnt just happen today

132. junior sabernomist on December 13th, 2006 6:29 pm

I think this might be the last straw. Snelling and Lopez were most of the reason I was interested in watching the Mariners next year. I mean, I can put up with Hargrove for another year, fine. But trading away or benching all the promising young players on the team in exchange for aging, mediocre veterans?

Ugh.

Talk to me in 2012 or so. Maybe they’ll get a decent GM, tear down, and be getting fun to watch again by then…

133. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:32 pm

I forget..the taxpayers built Safeco right? If so, lets take it back..kinda like taking a toy away from a kid for abusing it

134. chetmasters1985 on December 13th, 2006 6:32 pm

OK I AM GOING TO TRY AND REMAIN CALM….. OK IT ISNT GOING TO WORK. Does anyone know where Bavasi lives? I know my way around the Seattle area pretty well…. anyone got a truck and some rope. This just doesn’t make sense. why? i dont understand. Is this a joke like when we tried trading Carlos straight across for Omar (even though that would have turned out better than what eventually happened). I don’t want to live.

135. Jim Thomsen on December 13th, 2006 6:33 pm

I am in physical pain. Seriously. Why do I allow myself to care so much?

136. Dave in Palo Alto on December 13th, 2006 6:33 pm

Jose Vidro? Why not Jose Offerman?

It’s ugly clear that, like the Angels, the M’s will never rise until Bavasi packs his bags.

137. sonicez on December 13th, 2006 6:35 pm

Can’t we just accept reality? We’re that team. You know, the one that everyone laughs at behind their back and just hopes they can get into trade talks with. It has to somebody. And right, now, its us.

138. Jonah Keri on December 13th, 2006 6:36 pm

Vidro was a really excellent player when the Expos were still in Montreal. The problem is his health. His knees just won’t allow him to stay in the lineup, and his body as a whole is breaking down. He might get a bit of a boost not having to turn the pivot, but yeah, tough to project him to be more than an adequate DH at this point.

He’s not a bad egg like Crazy Carl btw. Crappy trade, but Vidro’s not the villain here. The guy worked his ass off to go from being a non-prospect in the low minors to an eventual All-Star.

139. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:37 pm

oh, we’re not making Jose the villain.

140. LB on December 13th, 2006 6:37 pm

Dave, DMZ, JMB, et. al. (PDQ),

Serious question: supposing the USSM wet dream comes true and Antonetti takes the reins after 2007. Assuming the talent level among the AL West stays relatively constant, how many years does it take to pull this franchise out of the toilet? Are we looking at 2010 before the team is a playoff contender, or is that too pessimistic?

141. shirts on December 13th, 2006 6:39 pm

It’s not Jose. It’s Bavasi giving away the future.

142. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:39 pm

it’s going to longer & longer if they keep shipping away the talent.

143. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:40 pm

I like Jose Vidro. He’d be a neat guy to bring in on a cheap incentive laden one year deal to be the utility infielder/bench bat.

144. dw on December 13th, 2006 6:40 pm

WHAT gaping hole? Lopez is a decent glove with pop in his bat. Vidro WAS a good glove with a little bit of pop, now he’s in decline. Lopez cost about $400K. Vidro will cost 20 times that.

Again, WHAT gaping hole? The gaping hole is in the #2 starter spot.

they’re willing to take on payroll…

They’re willing to be a payroll SINK. Like the Rockies have been with countless players over the last ten years (Charles Johnson anyone?) You don’t win this way.

EC, you were right, I was wrong. Bavasi should have been drop-kicked last summer.

145. Pete on December 13th, 2006 6:42 pm

This is just really strange. I don’t get it – I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of a trade that literally didn’t make any sense whatsoever. It just really doesn’t. I can’t think of any reason for the trade. None. At least the Carlos Guillen trade had that BS “he parties too much” excuse. At least there was something.

The Mariners are giving up two promising prospects to DOWNGRADE a position that is filled with an established, promising player. An young All-Star.

I’m just boggled.

Gonna go lift to blow off steam. Holy crap. I haven’t been so worked up on a trade in since Tom Chambers was traded.

146. SoulofaCitizen on December 13th, 2006 6:43 pm

I just called the Mariners season ticket hotline and just lamented for a while (206) 346-4287 Didn’t make me feel a whole lot better, but a little bit. This is a great site, but the team is breaking my heart.

147. Tak on December 13th, 2006 6:43 pm

Since none of the moves made by Seattle has made any sense so far, I am just hoping that this is all a build-up to some big nice surprise… but again, thats being waaaaaay to optimistic

148. Stuck-In-Chicago on December 13th, 2006 6:43 pm

Sigh. Tomorrow I’m removing my “Seattle Mariners” license plate frames from my car. I wouldn’t want Cubs and Sox fans to start laughing and cause an accident.

149. Eleven11 on December 13th, 2006 6:44 pm

OK, here is the reason…simple really. #1 rule of pro baseball, never trust your future to a rookie. Sweet Lou, Grover and Billy Bavasi all believe in the Rule. Snelling may be superior, he may be the future but Grover and Billy B have no future, ergo, drop kick Doyle (and God bless him getting to start and hit .340 next year) and get…wait for it….”Gritty Veteran”. Simple and that’s all their is to it. (What ever I misspelled is the fault of a certain Mr. James Beam.)

150. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:46 pm

Whats ther over/under on Vidro landing on the DL next season?

151. jamier on December 13th, 2006 6:48 pm

does anyone else REALLY wish we just re-signed gil meche for 5 yrs/$55mil and called in an offseason?

152. LB on December 13th, 2006 6:49 pm

#150: Do you know what “over/under” means?

153. jamier on December 13th, 2006 6:49 pm

heck, maybe i’d take joel pineiro for 4 yrs/$67mil too.

154. mln on December 13th, 2006 6:50 pm

Here’s fun activity for Mariner fans. You can rank all the GMs in baseball from 1 to 30 on ESPN.

I wonder where Bavasi will rank.

155. David J. Corcoran I on December 13th, 2006 6:51 pm

154: I don’t like that one. Bavasi is about the 39th best GM in Major League baseball.

156. LB on December 13th, 2006 6:51 pm

#148: I wouldn’t want Cubs and Sox fans to start laughing and cause an accident.

Too late, they’ve already started. Quote from SoSH: I was wondering why USS Mariner wasn’t loading. We crash over Matsuzka and they crash over Vidro. I like being a Sox fan.

157. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 6:51 pm

At least I’ll wake up from this terrible nightmare soon… it is a nightmare right?

158. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:52 pm

152: yes….I say 60 games

159. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:53 pm

156: they think we are happy about Vidro?

160. LB on December 13th, 2006 6:53 pm

#158: You can have an over/under for the number of games Mr. Vidro plays. You cannot have an over/under for “Vidro landing on the DL next season.”

161. LB on December 13th, 2006 6:55 pm

#159: The point would be, they crash their server over good news.

162. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:55 pm

What game Vidro lands on the DL…whatever…you get the point..roll with it…don’t be a “bavasi”…ooh, thats a new one..I should start using that

163. Safeco Hobo on December 13th, 2006 6:55 pm

Ok Ok, after that terrible Soriano trade I’m just now waking up from my alcohol induced coma…Have i missed anything?

164. msb on December 13th, 2006 6:55 pm

I emailed. I am waiting in breathless anticipation of the same ‘thank you for your email’ letter I got last year.

165. kentroyals5 on December 13th, 2006 6:55 pm

161: Thats so sad…but true

166. IdahoInvader on December 13th, 2006 6:56 pm

Not saying signing Zito would be the best move necessarily, especially with the Prince of Darkness as his agent. But if you’re going to spend 15 or so million, wouldn’t it be better served on Barry than Batista and Vidro?

167. jamier on December 13th, 2006 7:00 pm

Detailed analysis of this trade over at Baseball Prospectus’ new blog:

168. Jeff Nye on December 13th, 2006 7:00 pm

I can’t wait to see how they even ATTEMPT to justify this trade.

169. hansk on December 13th, 2006 7:01 pm

hey now, come on. lets see the glass as half full. lets take a look at the positives here:

170. Lance on December 13th, 2006 7:01 pm

This deal must be to make the switch-hitting Vidro a fulltime DH. My guess is Broussard gets moved for a starting pitcher. That’s why they tendered him. My guess, admittedly a shot in the dark, is he goes to Baltimore for 22-yo righthander Hayden Penn.

171. eponymous coward on December 13th, 2006 7:01 pm

Hey, dw? You know our ongioing argument about Bavasi?

This isn’t how I wanted to win it.

172. SCL on December 13th, 2006 7:29 pm

I am starting to miss Gillick.

173. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 7:35 pm

Bavasi=Gillick?

174. PositivePaul on December 13th, 2006 7:36 pm

Gillick>Bavasi.

I think Bavasi’s really trying to hamstring this club in preparation for his next job.

175. Arigato, Roboto Clemente on December 13th, 2006 7:38 pm

Motherfucking goddamnit.

“Hey Bill, wanna trade Felix for Mark Redman?”
    “Well…”
    “Mark IS an All-Star.”
    “Hmmmm… ok, I’ll throw in Betancourt, too. Will that work?”
    “Sure, thanks Bill!”

176. Choo on December 13th, 2006 7:39 pm

Bill Bavasi just called. He said he punched a hole through my chest. I looked down and sure enough . . . *thud*

177. Choska on December 13th, 2006 7:43 pm

#169: the silver lining is that every move Bavasi is making ensures we will suck next year, and that the Ms will have a new GM by this time next year.

The other GMs must have been falling all over themselves to take Bavasi out for drinks in Orlando. What a complete and utter fool.

The only question now is, to paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi, ‘Who is more foolish? The fool or the man who follows him?’

On that note, fellas, I’m off the bus. See you over at the SOSH blog.

178. Choo on December 13th, 2006 7:46 pm

#177: The rusty lining is that we were predicting the exact same thing last season.

179. Bender on December 13th, 2006 7:47 pm

I’m dumbstruck. I feel gut-punched. Why Snelling? Why?

180. ikeepitreal on December 13th, 2006 7:55 pm

Ok, I’ll bite. Is it possible Bavasi is spending this entire offseason tailoring to GB pitchers?

Vidro *might* be the intended defensive upgrade at 1st, pending a Sexon/Tim Hudson deal.

That would leave us with 4 GB pitchers and a lights out infield. Vidro is a plus at 1B, no? Is there any way that makes the 2007 M’s a contender?

181. JMB on December 13th, 2006 7:56 pm

182. TomC on December 13th, 2006 7:56 pm

I feel great sadness. Rooting for a sports team is inherently a frivolous emotional investment. We do it knowing that it won’t, in the end, really matter in our lives. We do, however, want to have hope in something. We want to anticipate the beginning of next season. We want to dream of greater glory to come.

Bill Bavasi has become the destroyer of hope. He mocks our dreams and
    leaves us with bitter disappointment.

I have only one small spark of hope left – that the faceless people of the ownership group replace Bavasi sone day. Bavasi cannot crush this hope. So long as he is GM there is always the possibility he will be fired.

I will wait for this cold bleak Mariner winter to end and Bavasi to be gone. I will wait, and hope.

183. Bender on December 13th, 2006 7:57 pm

I’d seriously like to see some positive out of the off season, but I really don’t think there is much anymore.

184. Steve T on December 13th, 2006 7:57 pm

F. F. F. F. F. F YOU MARINERS. F.

Ironically, in the paper today there was a chart showing BA’s ranking of organizations. We were 29th. The Nationals were 30th and last. I’ll bet those are swapped today.

GOD DAMN IT ALL TO HELL.

What a garbage ****bag of a piece of *** ****ing **** of a team this is.

I’ll bet we lose 100 games at least two of the next five seasons.

185. Rick L on December 13th, 2006 7:57 pm

172. Gillick brought us a 116 win team. Bavasi keeps trading plaers for lesser players or for nothing at all (as in the case of Randy Winn.)

186. ikeepitreal on December 13th, 2006 7:58 pm

FYI, not endorsing the deal. Just trying to make some sense.

187. ikeepitreal on December 13th, 2006 7:58 pm

FYI, I’m not endorsing the deal. Just trying to make some sense.

188. Arigato, Roboto Clemente on December 13th, 2006 8:00 pm

Maybe this is like Ozymandias’ plan in “Watchmen”, trying to get the world united against a common enemy – in this case, Mariners GM Bill Bavasi.

189. wabbles on December 13th, 2006 8:01 pm

Ya know, when I complained that cutting Joel loose gave us $6.5 million to sign Julio Franco or Gaylord Perry to a three-year deal, I WAS KIDDING, FUCKING KIDDING, OKAY BILL? And we didn’t even get Franco, we got his evil injury-prone, out-of-shape twin.

190. Steve T on December 13th, 2006 8:02 pm

Bavasi won’t stop until we are the Royals.

191. NBarnes on December 13th, 2006 8:10 pm

You see what Randy Winn did in SF in 2006?

Neither did anybody else.

Winn for Foppert and Torrealba was a fine trade. This and the RamirezSoriano trade are just foolishness.

192. Arigato, Roboto Clemente on December 13th, 2006 8:10 pm

I hear John Franco is available. He’d be a terrific long arm in the bullpen, or even a setup man.

193. wabbles on December 13th, 2006 8:12 pm

RE 177: I believe the quote was, “Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?”

194. Shwa on December 13th, 2006 8:16 pm

all i can say is..

ugh…sigh…

195. Coach Owens on December 13th, 2006 8:20 pm

Here’s a hypothetical question: if for some reason Hargrove and Bavasi were in a fight to the death who would you root for?

196. restin on December 13th, 2006 8:24 pm

Folks lets take a swag and bet that Vidro never sets foot in Safeco, my bet is he ends up in Atlanta, LaRoche ends up in Seattle and our old 1st baseman ends up netting a starting pitcher. We end up trading Snelling and Fruto for LaRoche and Sexson for hopefully a young stud arm (ie: one of SF’s youg’ins)

197. SCL on December 13th, 2006 8:29 pm

#195 – I root for Bavasi because I think Hargrove has been more consistantly senseless in his tenure here. But Bavasi’s last few moves has quickly closed the gap.

198. JMB on December 13th, 2006 8:38 pm

I’d like to point out the new and improved campaign button on the left nav bar. Enjoy it while it lasts!

199. restin on December 13th, 2006 8:38 pm

In other words Soriano, Snelling and Fruto for LaRoche and HoRam. Soriano for HoRam a bad deal for us, Vidro for LaRoche not great for Atlanta, blend it and I’m okay.

200. Johan on December 13th, 2006 8:48 pm

Over/under;
    how many games will Vidro make it into the season before getting DFA’d?
    My guess, 80…

201. revbill on December 13th, 2006 8:57 pm

The article in the Times mentions that Vidro waived his no-trade clause to come here to DH, so I think you can stop wishing for another trade to happen, and start wishing for a failed physical.

202. dw on December 13th, 2006 9:00 pm

Hey, dw? You know our ongioing argument about Bavasi?

This isn’t how I wanted to win it.

I feel like Lindbergh upon hearing the news of Pearl Harbor.

203. JI on December 13th, 2006 9:01 pm

Fucking Hell.

204. Arigato, Roboto Clemente on December 13th, 2006 9:05 pm

BillBavasi.com

I RULE.

205. Typical Idiot Fan on December 13th, 2006 9:08 pm

I have no words.

206. Typical Idiot Fan on December 13th, 2006 9:09 pm

Yeah I do.

Last week I was knocking the overreaction that everybody had for the Soriano / Ramirez trade. I still think that trade wasn’t worth all the damn misery. I wasn’t defending Bavasi, I was just trying to push back the absurd from the Cliffs of Insanity.

But this? I can’t even contain my own grief. Soriano I was iffy on for injury reasons, but Doyle AND Fruto? I can’t comprehend this. Jose Vidro? I just don’t GET IT.

207. F-Rod on December 13th, 2006 9:27 pm

Sure Snelling could be good…maybe but the guy might do nothing in his career….the amount of unabashed love for him on this site is very odd. Yes he has walked a lot in his career which every one should like, but he was a solid gap hitter in the minors, who gets injured a ton….Snelling might be good or he might be losing it (98 k’s in 338 ab’s last year) and be one of hundreds of failed prospects.

208. msb on December 13th, 2006 9:27 pm

#198. ok, I want that on a t-shirt for opening day.

209. Phoenician Todd on December 13th, 2006 9:28 pm

Oh my god! Yes, I’m late to the party. And here I am, able to go to more than a handful of games for the first time in almost 10 years and now I don’t want to. motherfucker is the only phrase that comes to mind.