Game 70, Reds at Mariners

Dave · June 22, 2007 at 6:21 pm · Filed Under Game Threads

Harang vs Feierabend, 7:05 pm.

For a lot of people, tonight is a big deal. Ken Griffey Jr returns to Seattle for the first time since he was traded to the Reds, and the M’s are rolling out the welcome mat. They’re having a welcome back pre-game ceremony, had him autograph 1,000 commemorative “Griffey returns” baseballs, and have been pushing this series as a must see event all year. It’s Junior coming back to where it all started and the city is basking in nostalgia.

And I know it’s weird, but I don’t care. I tried to, but I don’t. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of fond memories of Griffey as a Mariner. I am the target audience for this kind of thing. I was nine years old when Jr made his major league debut, and he was the star of the show as I learned how to fall in love with baseball. I had the Upper Deck rookie card and the candy bar. I loved the home run swing, the leaping catches, the backward hat, and everything that went along with The Kid. When he broke his wrist catching the Kevin Bass flyball in 1995, I remember a hopeful season being flushed down the drain. And I remember where I was when he took John Wetteland yard for a game winning home run three months later to ignite the amazing comeback. I jumped up and down when he raced around the bases to beat the Yankees just like everyone else, and I cried when the Indians ended the dream a week later.

Junior was a huge part of my childhood. But he was never the player that I admired. For me, that guy was Alvin Davis, then Dave Valle, Erik Hanson, Bill Swift, Dave Fleming, Brian Turang, Darren Bragg, Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, Mike Jackson, Mike Cameron, Chris Snelling, and now, Felix.

Those were the guys that I loved, that I adopted as my own. Why? I don’t know, honestly. I can explain some of them, but others, they’re inexplicable. And it’s okay, because they’re emotional attachments, which aren’t the most rational thing on earth to begin with.

But Junior never cracked that group. He was always the great player, the franchise, the most talented player I’d ever seen. But I rooted for him because he was a Mariner and admired him for his abilities, but the deep emotional attachment that others are remembering? I don’t have that with Junior. I never did.

I don’t begrudge anyone their nostalgia, and for a lot of people, I’m sure tonight is going to be a lifelong memory. That’s awesome. I hope you have a great time.

When they do a welcome back for Brian Turang, call me. I’ll be fired up for that.

Comments

208 Responses to “Game 70, Reds at Mariners”

1. Ninja Jordan on June 22nd, 2007 6:34 pm

Brian Turang didn’t save baseball in this town. Junior did.

2. Dave on June 22nd, 2007 6:43 pm

Let’s make a deal – I’m totally cool with your emotional attachment to Junior, and you can be totally cool with my lack of one, okay?

3. Gomez on June 22nd, 2007 6:43 pm

Junior was an icon, but he did not save baseball in Seattle.

Read “Out of Left Field” by Art Thiel, the chronicle of the Mariners from the dog days to Safeco’s construction, to see who was really responsible for saving baseball in Seattle. You’ll be surprised how relatively small the team’s and fanbase’s role was in saving baseball in Seattle.

4. Jeff Sullivan on June 22nd, 2007 6:44 pm

Turang lit the world on fire in 1993 and 1994. One year after feeding off of his inspiration, the Mariners had the most magical season in franchise history, all but saving baseball in Seattle. Coincidence? I don’t see how you can think so.

5. katal on June 22nd, 2007 6:44 pm

I forgot all about Brian Turang! I don’t remember anything about him, but I do recall liking him for one reason or another.

6. Jeff Nye on June 22nd, 2007 6:44 pm

I am totally cool with your lack of emotional attachment to Junior.

I wasn’t here in ’95 so I don’t have much attachment to him either.

Having this much adulation for a member of the opposing team, though, is suspect and I’m hoping it slows down a bit, at least, when the game starts.

7. Sammy on June 22nd, 2007 6:46 pm

Let’s please not make this thread into a flame war between Junior-lovers and Junior-haters (or Junior-indifferents). That said… Dave, we’re a lot closer in age than I thought we were, and I think you’re a weirdo.

8. dw on June 22nd, 2007 6:47 pm

My first M’s game was the one where he broke his wrist.

My second? The tiebreaker game.

Even then, it took me until Ichiro to finally convert from a Rockies fan to a Mariners fan.

Junior was great. But the endless whining to (and about) the press just wore me down.

I’ll be part of the standing O tomorrow, but honestly, he was never my favorite, either.

9. The Unknown Comic on June 22nd, 2007 6:48 pm

My childhood Mariners heros were Bruce Bochte, Julio Cruz, and Dan Meyer.

10. gag harbor on June 22nd, 2007 6:49 pm

The fans saved baseball in this town, they just finally got to watch some players do some remarkable things that happen in sports from time to time. Those votes to spend all that money on a stadium did the trick but it was nice to see an organization that lost for so long finally get a player in the draft that could be a star for the national media to idolize.

11. Dave on June 22nd, 2007 6:50 pm

I’ll file this with the comment/compliment I got at a USSM feed a couple of years ago: “You’re a lot more fun in person than I expected.”

12. The Unknown Comic on June 22nd, 2007 6:50 pm

Dan Meyer used to always used to try and work the kinks out of his neck constantly like he had a permanent stiff neck or something.

13. gag harbor on June 22nd, 2007 6:53 pm

Man, this blog would suck without said “weirdo”.

14. JR Ewing on June 22nd, 2007 6:53 pm

gomez,
    i think you miss the point. baseball did not matter in this city until #24 arrived on the scene, hard core fans were there, but the hometown fans were not. junior became a reason for the casual fan to care about baseball in seattle. soon those fans discovered what the rest of already knew (regarding the game of baseball). without the support of those casual fans, the team does not get sold to the current owners, lou never comes to seattle etc etc etc. is he solely responsible, of course not, but he singlehandedly set the whole thing into motion. without him, the mariners exist elsewhere, not in seattle.

15. gag harbor on June 22nd, 2007 6:54 pm

Didn’t Dan Meyer have like 9 rbi’s in a single game once?

16. dw on June 22nd, 2007 6:55 pm

Does Lincoln own a frame store we don’t know about? They’re always giving out “framed mementos.”

17. Sammy on June 22nd, 2007 6:56 pm

JR,

I’m as much a Griffey lover as anyone, but to be honest, neither you nor I have read the book in question, so it doesn’t make much sense to debate Gomez on the topic. That said, whether he did or didn’t save baseball in Seattle means not one iota to me; he’ll be my favorite athlete till the day I die.

18. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 6:57 pm

Dave, you’re a few months older than me, and it sounds like our childhoods were remarkably similar.

That said, my Junior attachment was as strong as said mancrush could be.

His return is bittersweet for me, but he’ll always have a special place in my heart.

Thanks for understanding, even if you don’t share the feelings. :)

19. Gomez on June 22nd, 2007 6:57 pm

11. LOL, that was me.

14. What sammy said in #7. And trust me, give Thiel’s book a read if you haven’t yet, as you’ll learn tons. I’m not saying Junior’s iconic status isn’t deserved, because I was as huge a fan of Junior as anybody growing up and I agree… but the topic of how baseball was saved in Seattle is honestly a separate and partially relevant issue.

20. joser on June 22nd, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah, for me it kind of went Julio Cruz….Ichiro. I essentially checked ouf of baseball entirely for the entire decade of the 90s, and I mostly blame the 80s Mariners for that. Well, that and I was out of the country (I missed the whole ’95 thing entirely — I saw the “dogpile” picture in a hand-me-down newspaper as I got on a plane in Phnom Penh — so the I don’t really have any nostalgia for ARod or Griffey or any of that crew). It took Ichiro to woo me back to watching baseball games again. He’s the guy who saved baseball in Seattle for me.

But you folks go get your nostalgia on, and have fun.

21. dw on June 22nd, 2007 6:59 pm

Also, does Buhner have a job? He’s like Kramer as a baseball player.

22. JR Ewing on June 22nd, 2007 7:01 pm

sammy,

i read art thiel’s book. i would consider myself much closer in opinion to the author of this thread than not. i respected junior and his talent. but i am no more choked up over tonight than he is. it’s a good baseball moment to me, not much else. in addition, i respect those who are choked up over tonight. that’s one of the things that makes baseball great.

23. Sammy on June 22nd, 2007 7:03 pm

22.
    My bad. Thought you were just as ignorant as I am.

24. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:03 pm

I don’t care what anyone says. I grew up with Griffey and he will always be my favorite player. Mostly I’m just kind of sad so many people in the Mariners’ blogsphere could care less about him.

25. joser on June 22nd, 2007 7:03 pm

Well, Buhner has endorsement deals (with GI Joe’s) and he’s got a minority interest in the Aquasox.

26. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:04 pm

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect most to care who weren’t old enough to be regular fans BEFORE KGJr was here. This isn’t a shot against anyone, just my honest opinion.

But let me tell you, it was a MUCH different franchise in those dark, pre-Junior days. MUCH different.

Its not like the M’s were a playoff team right away, but at least people outside of Seattle cared a little about what went on in the Kingdome during baseball season. I’m not sure ESPN even knew the M’s were a franchise until then.

He’s not my favorite player of all time, like some, but I sure appreciate what his contributions were and how much better the Seattle Mariners franchise was for him being there.

27. Mr. C on June 22nd, 2007 7:05 pm

his career in Seattle was basically spanned my childhood. He was a rookie when I was in Kindergarten and I was a senior in HS when they traded him.

I was tired of his complaints at the end but that faded much faster than my displeasure at RJ or Alex.

Its a little misty at my house right now.

28. joser on June 22nd, 2007 7:06 pm

Actually most people could care less but don’t, just like you. A few of us couldn’t care less, but we didn’t grow up with him or, like Dave, had other attachments. Not everybody is alike, fortunately, or we’d all want to sleep with your wife.

29. jefffrane on June 22nd, 2007 7:08 pm

I’m late to the bus, so I never really understood Jr’s impact, but what I want to know is, how weird is this? How often is an active player greeted like this when returning to play against his former team? I’ve seen some get a nice round of applause (Mike Cameron, for example) and others get nothing but boos (obvious example deleted). But a huge special ceremony, with the front office and framed mementos?

Is it just me, or is this totally weird?

30. The Unknown Comic on June 22nd, 2007 7:11 pm

Personally I kind of enjoyed the utter hoplessness of the Pre-Griffey days. The Kingdome was a big tomb and I really enjoyed hanging out there and getting batting practice balls.

31. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:11 pm

It really is strange.

But then again, how often does the player who had the biggest impact on a franchise, come back to play against them?

Like I said, you would’ve had to be a big fan BEFORE he came to really understand.

32. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:12 pm

#28, was that directed at me?

#29, I’m sure it is extremely odd for those who either didn’t pay attention or didn’t grow up for him but for a decade he was the best player in baseball and he played for a team that before him was the lowest on the ladder of baseball.

33. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 7:12 pm

29 – definitely weird, and totally appropriate.

34. Phoenician Todd on June 22nd, 2007 7:12 pm

Griffey’s swing is so nice, having only seen highlights in slow motion in recent years really made me forget how fast it was back in the 90s. That said, Dave listed nearly all of my favorite Mariners of all time and while I got choked up a little bit watching the video montage, I was most excited seeing Edgar and Jay back on a baseball field.

35. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:12 pm

Amen! Like a dungeon I always thought.

Ahhhh…the good ol’ days of Langston, Davis, Reynolds, Moore, Swift, both Bradley’s, and even Presley

36. Dave on June 22nd, 2007 7:14 pm

Idaho,

Let’s just not get into why people hold certain attachments to players, okay? I don’t want this thread to get into an “I’m a better fan than you” kind of thing.

37. dw on June 22nd, 2007 7:14 pm

For those of us who grew up in the Mid-South-West, this was the first confirmation there was even a team in Seattle.

I remember my little brother had MLB bedsheets from Sears back around 1979-80, with the 26 MLB team logos on them. Seattle and Toronto we only knew by their logos. OTOH, the Royals, Cards, Astros, Rangers, Braves, Cubs, they were on cable, and the Yankees and Dodgers and Pirates and A’s and Phils were on the NBC Game Of The Week.

The idea that Seattle even had a major league team was just a logo to most of us before 1989 UD #1.

38. Gomez on June 22nd, 2007 7:14 pm

29 – I’d like to hear of any other teams that have done this, and when.

39. MedicineHat on June 22nd, 2007 7:14 pm

I have a hard time getting excited for a guy who demanded a trade, then limitd it to one team and, for as much good as he did Seattle, totally screwed them upon his exit. I have much more respect for a guy who just becomes a free agent and leaves for the sole purpose of more money. At least we know that person isn’t two-faced liar. I hate Ken Griffey Jr.

40. jephdood on June 22nd, 2007 7:15 pm

Shit. I missed recording the pre-game stuff. Was it cool? Hopefully they’ll replay it later..

41. jefffrane on June 22nd, 2007 7:15 pm

That is a beautiful swing. I just hope I don’t see it any time soon –like the next three days.

42. Paul B on June 22nd, 2007 7:15 pm

I always thought that Randy was the person that did the most to get the M’s in the postseason a couple of times, moreso than Junior.

Junior is a great player, he put up some amazing hitting stats (just look at who he has been passing on the all time homer list this year), but I sort of think the frequently made statements like “Junior saved baseball in Seattle” and “Junior built Safeco” are somewhat overblown and really are a slight to Randy.

43. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:17 pm

I don’t think of it as “better” (your word, not mine) just pointing out how some find it easier to understand why they’re making such a big deal out of tonight.

As clearly some by their own admission don’t.

But I do agree that it wouldn’t be appropriate to think of some fans as “worse” or “better.” I think some have just been around longer, which gives them a different perspective, that’s all.

44. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:19 pm

#38, How many teams had a concert during a game with the “Who let the dogs out” guys?

45. MedicineHat on June 22nd, 2007 7:20 pm

Freakin Ridiculous. I’m somewhat ok with them cheering for Griffey, but don’t bleepin boo our pitcher. Stupid Northwest fans.

46. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 7:20 pm

39 – Junior never demanded a trade. He used his no-trade clause – a clause he had earned – and limited the teams he COULD be dealt to, if the M’s so chose.

Junior was well within his rights.

47. David Corcoran on June 22nd, 2007 7:20 pm

Way to support your team, fans.

48. Paul B on June 22nd, 2007 7:20 pm

Anyone know why Junior wears #3 now?

49. jefffrane on June 22nd, 2007 7:20 pm

OK, that’s not weird, that’s creepy. A stadium filled with fans booing their own pitcher for throwing over, and cheering for the opposing batter?

50. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:21 pm

All this being said, I still think its ridiculous to boo our pitcher for throwing to first and I hope we don’t let him (or any Red’s batter) kill us tonight. We need a W!

51. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:21 pm

Sexson’s effort is underwhelming already this game.

52. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:21 pm

It probably helps that he will be the first player inducted into the Hall with a Seattle cap on his head.

53. dw on June 22nd, 2007 7:21 pm

Jeff Conine is still playing?

54. Rain Delay on June 22nd, 2007 7:22 pm

48- To honor his 3 kids.

55. Thom Jimsen on June 22nd, 2007 7:22 pm

I miss Bob Ayrault. I’m willing to rent out a Herfy’s somewhere and throw him a welcome-back party.

56. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:22 pm

Doesn’t he wear #3 because of either how many kids he has or because his son is named “Trey?”

57. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:22 pm

And I agree… you don’t boo our guys.

58. Thom Jimsen on June 22nd, 2007 7:22 pm

And Gig Harbor’s Scott Hatteberg is nowhere to be seen in the lineup.

59. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:23 pm

Ayrault, lol…I think Jason Davis comes to mind for some reason

60. MedicineHat on June 22nd, 2007 7:23 pm

46 – symantics. “I will impose my no trade clause unless you trade me to Cincy.” It’s still holding the team hostage. You’ll never convince me otherwise, so you’d be wasting your typing fingers. All you had to do was be around hee and listen to his agent talk at the time to know it was absolutely ridiculous.

61. Sammy on June 22nd, 2007 7:24 pm

Is it true that Griffey ware #24 because he wanted to be greater than Jordan? Or did is that something stupid my brother and I made up?

62. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 7:24 pm

52 – that is an interesting point. I suppose Randy goes in as a Diamondback. ARod, who knows? We know it won’t be Texas. But if he exercises his escape clause after this year and leaves the Yankees, I’d think the M’s have as strong of a claim to him as anybody, pending future results.

Edgar would obviously go in as an M, but I just don’t see him making it unless there’s a saber-revolution amongs the voters.

63. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:25 pm

really? griffey has numbers?

64. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 7:25 pm

60 – it’s not “symantics”. Junior never demanded to be traded, period.

65. Sammy on June 22nd, 2007 7:27 pm

64. That’s just revisionist history.

66. Rock Hardball on June 22nd, 2007 7:27 pm

If Sexson was traded straight up for Dunn, would anyone notice?

67. dw on June 22nd, 2007 7:28 pm

Not exactly similar to tonight, but the White Sox retired Harold Baines’ number right after they traded him to the Rangers in 1989 (aka the Sosa deal). I believe they held the ceremony the next day.

68. Thom Jimsen on June 22nd, 2007 7:28 pm

I bet I could get Shawn Boskie here for well drinks and pretzels.

69. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:28 pm

Back to the game…

WHERE on earth was that pitch to Dunn? I’m sure he has an eagle eye from those nearly 200 k’s per year (eyes rolling)

70. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:29 pm

maybe gameday is prone to some inaccuracies, but it shows 2 of those “balls” to Dunn as pretty much down the middle

71. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:29 pm

I know someone mentioned the special cameras that record the pitches, placement, and velocity at Safeco. Is the FSN Tracer gizmo based on that data, or is it someone manually entering in where the pitch looked to have crossed the plate?

72. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:31 pm

Sure looked that way on the ol’ tube from here

73. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:32 pm

pumpkinhead…think Burke will have his eye on another game tomorrow?

74. joser on June 22nd, 2007 7:32 pm

I wonder what the record is for most pitches thrown in an inning without giving up a run.

75. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:33 pm

No way Gonzalez walks

76. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:33 pm

allow me to jump the gun and say it’ll sure suck to lose because of those (non) strike calls on Dunn.

77. joser on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

Good thing the bullpen got a rest the last couple of nights because they’re going to be busy tonight. Ugh. Can somebody tell Feierabend that despite all the hooplah, this is the worst team in baseball?

78. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

Ibanez makes us wish he did though

Effin’ pathetic.

Is it a bad thing if your LF has rigamortis?

79. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

Ibanez true to form. Man does he look awkward this year in LF.

80. IMissBenDavis on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

34 pitches, 4-0, and inning isnt even over. Might tune out now.

81. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

Poor Dave N. Poor Ibanez. Poor Mariners.

82. Thom Jimsen on June 22nd, 2007 7:34 pm

“rigor mortis”

83. Christopher Michael on June 22nd, 2007 7:35 pm

So about that outfielder in the minors…

84. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:35 pm

Burke? Tomorrow isn’t a day game I don’t believe.

85. Jay R. on June 22nd, 2007 7:38 pm

Dear God. Gets squeezed to death, then gives up a fly ball that 28 starting left fielders run down without a problem (I don’t think Manny gets there either).

BRING ON ADAM JONES.

86. The Unknown Comic on June 22nd, 2007 7:38 pm

My newfound Stockholm syndrome like loyalty to Hargrove, Vidro, and Bloomquist is beginning to wear off.

87. killa3312 on June 22nd, 2007 7:40 pm

Josh Hamilton, as a Tampa fan, brings a tear to my eye. What a tremendous talent. Shame he couldn’t keep from sniffing the grass.

88. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:40 pm

So much for a consistant strike zone.

Boy that pisses me off.

89. pumpkinhead on June 22nd, 2007 7:41 pm

consistent

90. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:41 pm

I guess my spelling is about as good as Raul’s routes to the ball

So Dunn gets TWO bogus calls, but Ichie isn’t “worthy” of a borderline one

91. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:42 pm

Adrian was thinking about it…

92. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:44 pm

Froemming wakes up just in time to guess he went around.

Probably day dreaming about the box of doughnuts he gutted between innings

93. Mariner Fan in CO Exile on June 22nd, 2007 7:44 pm

Dave,

For some reason I thought you were like 23 or something. Good to know I only have a year or two on you.

And I was glad to see Bill Swift on your list. I don’t usually admit it, but I had a total non-sexual man crush on Bill Swift. He was my favorite Mariner growing up, and I have no rational explanation as to why. He and, for 2 misguided years, Mickey Brantley. Yeah, don’t ask.

And I picked up the Griffey candy bars too, but I ate them. I put my faith in him when other players who didn’t deserve to be chasing home run records were “saving baseball.” I never thought of him as a favorite player. I think I tend toward the underdogs . . . Holy crap . . . does that mean I should like Jeff Weaver? Felix and Ichiro have become two of my favorite players, however. Ichiro mostly because I took Japanese for a number of years and totally get his wacky sense of humor.

94. bdunn02 on June 22nd, 2007 7:48 pm

90: that wasn’t borderline, it was just outside.

95. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:49 pm

this is kind of funny, actually

96. Lucky Number on June 22nd, 2007 7:53 pm

Griffey isn’t the only one to return to Seattle… he brought his “curse” with him and it’s looking for some payback!

97. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 7:53 pm

Hargrove couldn’t stand to watch the rest of the game. I’m sure that strikeout of Ibanez had a little bit to do with his anger.

98. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 7:53 pm

85 – Manny would have gotten there, though at the cost of all his energy, his cap, and his hair-protector.

Between Jr, A-Rod, and Randy leaving the one I regret losing the most has to be Randy.

99. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 7:53 pm

Doesn’t this team still have something to play for?

100. David Corcoran on June 22nd, 2007 7:54 pm

Stop booing your team, fans.

101. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 7:55 pm

The best thing about Brian Turang was the song they played when he came to bat – the main lyric sounded just like “Turang, Turang”. Ah, the ’93 season. I must’ve gone to 10 games that year.

102. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 7:55 pm

#98, I miss Randy’s intensity. Is there anyone that gets as fired up as he does? Does anyone else remember when he got thrown out of the game for throwing at Lofton? His first pitch was a slider inside and Lofton got upset to which RJ yelled back “That was a slider, if I wanted to hit you I’d throw a fastball.” Next pitch? Fastball up and way in.

103. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 7:57 pm

I think the return of Griffey has put an extra little hop in Niehaus’ step.

104. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 7:57 pm

A few things:

1. As an Alaskan, the M’s have always been “my” team. However I didn’t really follow them until I moved to Seattle last summer. As a relatively new Mariner die-hard I was surprised at how emotional I got at pre game. Yeah, a little teary, I’m man enough to admit it.

2. This isn’t entirely Fierabend’s fault. Some of those calls by the home plate ump were borderline irresponsible.

3. I am now officially calling for a replacement to Yuni. The errors are just rediculous.

105. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 7:58 pm

By the way, I don’t remember Brian Turang at all. What was it that everybody liked about him? Checking his stats he only had 252 ABs and appears to have been a much worse batter than Willie B.

106. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 7:59 pm

Blowers just stated, “Apparently Harang is getting a little different strike zone than Ryan”

Uh yeah…as it has been for the whole game, not just now.

107. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 8:00 pm

Is Harang and detritus for Jose Guillen the worst trade in Billy Beane’s tenure? Harang is almost the ideal #2.

108. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 8:01 pm

Getting off of the nostalgia tangent… WTF happened? I just came in at the second out of the top of the second. 6 runs already?

109. dnc on June 22nd, 2007 8:01 pm

Turang’s song was something from the 50′s or 60′s. Went like “(name that sounded like Turang, might have been Do Lang) (4 times). He’s so fine…wish he was mine.”

110. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 8:02 pm

105 – I just liked the song they played when he came to bat. That’s the extent of the nostalgia for me.

111. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 8:03 pm

What a coincidence. As the M’s are losing 6-0, the Angels happen to be losing 4-0 (to the Buccos, no less).

112. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 8:04 pm

Maybe this ump will screw over Guillen and we’ll have some real entertainment.

113. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 8:05 pm

Man, that clip of Griffey is just a beaut. Total joy.

114. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:09 pm

I rarely swear here, but that was a fucking strike.

115. MedicineHat on June 22nd, 2007 8:10 pm

The Mariner fans at this game completely & totally deserve to be watching a game like this.

116. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 8:10 pm

Well, we may be down 8-0, but we’ve only allowed 5 hits at least.

117. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 8:10 pm

So, I take it we should’ve had Baek start today instead?

118. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 8:11 pm

Our hitting will likely continue to resemble the Pirates from the last two days as impatient as we are going to be vs Harang (and anyone else)

119. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 8:12 pm

Did someone grab the ball or was that a legit home run?

120. IMissBenDavis on June 22nd, 2007 8:12 pm

“WTF happened? I just came in at the second out of the top of the second. 6 runs already?”

….make that 8 runs already.

I’d love the Mariners to re-sign Ichiro, but at this point if I were him I would look around and say, “is this team REALLY trying to win a World Series anytime soon?” and probably find a suitor who contends more regularly. You heard it here first, he will go to the Boston Red Sox.

121. gomer_kyle on June 22nd, 2007 8:13 pm

Can’t really blame Fierabend. Getting booed by your own fans in the first inning following all of the hoopla has to get you off your game a little bit.

9-0 time to find something else to do.

122. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 8:14 pm

Boston? I could see him ending up in New York. You know Steinnbrenner will want him, and Ichiro loves the big stage. I don’t necesarily think it’d be a great fit, but I could see it happening.

123. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:14 pm

115. And why is that?

124. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 8:15 pm

Alas, I can watch no more of this. Time to go play catch outside.

125. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 8:15 pm

Is Jason Davis a long reliever?

126. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:16 pm

oh please! the booing when Fierabend threw to first while Jr. was at the plate was completely different, it was playfull and totally recognizable as such.

127. geofftoons on June 22nd, 2007 8:21 pm

I’m one of the biggest Mariners optimists out there, but this team is going nowhere until they solidify their rotaion.

Feierabend I think needs some more time in AAA… he got lit up like Gas Can Mateo by the frikkin’ Reds!

So much for the rested bullpen.

128. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:24 pm

I am rarely an “it’s the official’s fault!” guy, but tonight? It is the official’s fault.

129. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 8:26 pm

The official + shoddy defense.

130. theraven on June 22nd, 2007 8:26 pm

Living outside of Seattle, and only having been able to watch MLB.TV a little bit over the last couple years, can someone explain to me why Niehaus only announces half the game? I noticed this has been the normal practice for at least the last couple of hours, but it just seems strange.

131. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:27 pm

He and Dave Simms swap radio for tv at the top of the fourth.

132. geofftoons on June 22nd, 2007 8:27 pm

Actually, I will amend my statement to agree with you thewyrm, Feierabend did get shafted on quite a few of those calls.

133. cgmonk on June 22nd, 2007 8:27 pm

130:

Niehaus splits his time between TV and radio, so both sides get a little bit of him.

134. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 8:28 pm

I heard we’re going to trade Ichiro for Junior.

135. IMissBenDavis on June 22nd, 2007 8:30 pm

I take it back. I would want to see him go to Boston just to see the Yankees lose more, but in looking at the rosters the Yankees might want to upgrade Abreu more than the BoSox might want to upgrade Crisp. I also had a gut feeling he might enjoy playing with Daisuke more than Hideki, but who knows.

136. geofftoons on June 22nd, 2007 8:37 pm

Wow, this umpire REALLY sucks. That was a horrible call on Raul!

137. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:40 pm

It is time to start playing the bench.

138. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 8:44 pm

137

You mean these are our starters sinking it up so bad?

;-)

139. Beniitec on June 22nd, 2007 8:44 pm

[deleted, useless author attack]

140. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 8:47 pm

they’re fucking booing strike calls against the opponent

141. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 8:50 pm

My favorite Mariners:

Dave Henderson, Alvin Davis, Mark Langston, Phil Bradley, Dave Valle, Jack Perconte, Griffey, Greg Briley, Buhner, Mike Jackson, Edgar Edgar Edgar, Mike Cameron, John Olerud, Ichiro, Johjima, R. Soriano, Felix.

142. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 8:54 pm

What would a useful author attack look like?

143. Beniitec on June 22nd, 2007 8:56 pm

read it again… there’s no attack in there.

144. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:57 pm

140. The only time I have noticed that was when Jr was at the plate. He will never really be an “opponant.”

145. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:58 pm

Rally Time!!!

146. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 8:59 pm

I have always found sarcastic applause much more fun than booing my team.

147. Beniitec on June 22nd, 2007 9:00 pm

FWIW, Alvin Davis, Jim Presley, Mark Langston, Joey Cora, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Mike Blowers, Brett Boone, and Ken Griffey Jr.

I’d say more…however authors may think it’s an attack.

148. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 9:01 pm

Hey Jr haters! the crowd is cahnting Ich-I-Ro! See, they still are rooting for the M’s!

/sarcasm off

149. Beniitec on June 22nd, 2007 9:04 pm

Wouldn’t it be fun if the M’s came back and won? What are the odds…or whatever that stat is that you guys check all the time?

150. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 9:07 pm

I’ll always have a soft spot for Kenny Phelps, Scott Bankhead, and Henry Cotto. When I was in high school I met Henry Cotto and he seemed like a real swell guy.

151. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 9:08 pm

gritty

152. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 9:11 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, Your Seattle Slump Busters… uh, I mean Mariners.

153. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 9:12 pm

what’re the odds that 15 Reds runs include no Griffey/Dunn homers?

154. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 9:13 pm

Brandon Phillips crushes it.

I’m not even angry anymore, just curious.

155. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 9:14 pm

Okay. At this point we leave Davis in all game and save the bullpen.

156. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 9:15 pm

Good thing Encarnacion is on one of my two fantasy teams or the score would be about a three touchdown difference.

Obviously Davis was stretched out far too much…but who cares

157. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 9:16 pm

Henry Cotto is a great call. Mark Lowe, in his brief time (may he return) is also way up there.

158. dislocated on June 22nd, 2007 9:17 pm

ZOMG…. so I get home from work, do some yard work, finish some random projects around the house… and THIS is what I turn on MLB tv for? I turn it on and we’re down 10-0, bases loaded, ok… we’ll get a couple back. Folded some laundry, and then get a glimpse of 16-1???? For the sake of the Mariners I will never lift a finger around the house again!

159. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 9:17 pm

So who hasn’t hit a home run yet?

160. _David_ on June 22nd, 2007 9:18 pm

I can’t find anything good in this game. I just can’t. Except that must be pretty sweet for R R-S.

161. dislocated on June 22nd, 2007 9:18 pm

#158
    Anyone in a home jersey?

162. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 9:21 pm

160… oh SMACK!

163. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 9:26 pm

Even if we only counted their hr’s and our hits…we’d still have an unreachable deficit

164. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 9:26 pm

Let’s see if we can get that team ERA above 5.00 by the end of this game.

165. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 9:28 pm

Wait, when was Rowland-Smith brought up?

166. jack_per_conte on June 22nd, 2007 9:28 pm

Someone should dress up Ibanez in a wig, throw him in a small house with some dwarfs and a picture frame, and then give Elijah Dukes directions to the house.

167. Beniitec on June 22nd, 2007 9:29 pm

Bring up the kid Adam Jones. I already feel bad for Raul.

168. thenatural on June 22nd, 2007 9:30 pm

164: when Baek got put on the DL

169. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 9:33 pm

166

Completely inappropriate, yet totally funny. Snow White likely does have more range in LF though

Two hits, two errors, and lots of runs given up. Mariners baseball…ya gotta love these guys.

Hey, at least no one was paying attention to this one.

170. dislocated on June 22nd, 2007 9:34 pm

So if we can bat around… twice…. we’re right back in this one!!!

171. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 9:35 pm

Mariners Baseball: Hey now!

172. kenshabby on June 22nd, 2007 9:37 pm

Back when that “You gotta love these guys!” slogan was getting stale and utterly unsuitable I made a bumper sticker (ok, I wrote it on a strip of paper with a Sharpie and taped it to my back window) that read “You gotta be getting pretty #$!?!@! sick of these guys.” Though not many people could read it because my car had such dark tinting on the windows.

173. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on June 22nd, 2007 9:45 pm

What was the slogan right after “Sodo Mojo”? “Viva el Mojo” or something like that?

174. fetish on June 22nd, 2007 9:48 pm

Wow, what a beating.

That was just as bad as anything Weaver has thrown up there. I mean, I thought Firebrand or whatever would live up to his name.

My only explanation for how the Mariners have played is that, after winning 5 straight, they thought “phew, we’re out from behind the eight-ball. We’re actually a good team. Wow!” and then let up. I know the statheads will eat that up; but I firmly believe that baseball – a game of precision – requires essentially non-stop mental focus in order for a player – and teams – to be at the top of their game. There’s a million things that need to be done right to succeed, and without being on that edge, it’s difficult. Talent alone gets players the least far of our major sports, IMHO. Whatever the story is, the team has definitely lost their edge and confidence.

175. IdahoInvader on June 22nd, 2007 9:52 pm

Jason Ellison batting = opposition’s victory cigar

176. dislocated on June 22nd, 2007 9:53 pm

I think that we(as the fans, and desparately searching) saw the win streak and all of those 1 run games as a turning of the corner. Unfortunately, as Dave pointed out, winning 1 run games is not causation for a winning record, and we are all forced to see the same Mariners. As much as I believe in the concentration aspect (look at yuni…) I am also forced to listen to the little voice in my head that says, “Hey, your team isn’t that good… look at the numbers”

177. msb on June 22nd, 2007 9:59 pm

sigh. it was a lot of fun down there, until the game started :)

I finally decided that, in the spirit of nostalgia, they decided to replicate the Mariner Games Of Yore — a starting pitcher who can’t throw a strike, a left-fielder who can’t cover left-field, a hacktastic bunch of hitters, and a manager getting himself tossed so he doesn’t have to watch it all unfold.

178. johnb on June 22nd, 2007 10:03 pm

I enjoyed Griffey while he was in Seattle, was sad to see him go, and would also like to see him finish his career here if there is any mutual interest. Still like Alex, and Randy, he didn’t make many friends on the way out the door. This weeks visit is the first time he has been back even though his wife is from the area, that is kind of strange. I guess I have mixed emotions about Junior.

179. msb on June 22nd, 2007 10:07 pm

Turang’s song was something from the 50’s or 60’s. Went like “(name that sounded like Turang, might have been Do Lang) (4 times). He’s so fine…wish he was mine.”

the Chiffons, “He’s so fine” with the random background vocals of ‘doo lang doo lang doo lang’

180. Jordan of Boise on June 22nd, 2007 10:29 pm

Well that was a pretty impressive performance. I’m glad I had the sense to turn it off when the M’s couldn’t answer at 6-0.

Now that the lovefest is over and the Bizarro Cheer section is gone, can we get a Vengeance Win tomorrow? I’ll settle for nothing less than Guillen breaking his bat over the catcher’s head – emotionally.

181. thewyrm on June 22nd, 2007 10:31 pm

I have to admit, Jr taking a little smack about A-Rod during the postgame was pretty funny.

182. JR Ewing on June 22nd, 2007 10:34 pm

179.
    didn’t george harrison get popped for copying that song, when he released “my sweet lord”

183. mln on June 22nd, 2007 11:48 pm

What a way to welcome Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle.

The Mariners allow the Reds to pound them in a 16-1 loss, resulting in one of the most lopsided home losses ever.

You can’t say that the Mariners are not gracious hosts.

Welcome back, Junior!

184. Thom Jimsen on June 22nd, 2007 11:58 pm

From an Aug. 16, 2005 episode of NBC-TV”s “Meet Mister Mom”:

This episode is in California. The Sharpe family in San Diego and the Turang family in Corona. Leon Sharpe works in construction, Brian Turang (former baseball player) works in a car dealership and they each have five children. Carrie Turang and Kathy Sharpe get the messages telling them what they have to do, and again the families seem to be completely unaware that they have signed up to be on a reality show.

The Turangs start by attending one of the girls’ track meet. The Sharpes go to the beach. The Sharpe boys are admiring an attractive blonde woman, who surprises them with their first task massage, telling them both families need to have a garage sale. While the moms are settled in at La Costa Spa & Resort, we begin to get the idea that Brice Turang is an undisciplined brat, or as his father says (a handful).

Both families find a cow and some chickens in their yards to take care of. Both fathers are already wanting their wives back. They next make signs, and decide on costumes (costume?) for the garage sale. Brian brags about the nutritional meal he purchased at KFC and Leon falls asleep on the living room floor. Both dads seem to be okay on the cleaning. The Sharpes get farm costumes, with Leon kitted out as a two legged cow. The Turangs seem to be a bit better advertising their garage sale. The Sharpes look kind of crazy in their farm clothes, and maybe scare more people away than attracting customers. The Turangs are having a Hawaiian themed garage sale, and have managed to get the entire neighborhood out to buy stuff.

Brice T. climbs up on a fence, when his father tells him to get down, he leans forward and falls off flat on his face. The child doesn’t seem to be all there, which should be worth bonus points for his dad. Luckily his four sisters seem to have a better grip on reality and understand spoken instruction. The Sharpes only made $31 while the Turangs ran out of things to sell.

Next they are to get ready for a “back to school” fashion show, with Dad picking out the clothes for the kids to wear, and MCing the performance. Both families only have a few hours to shop, and head to J.C.Pennys. Leon Sharpe nearly misses the exit and chooses to cross several lanes of freeway traffic rather than get off at the next exit. The Turangs also have trouble shopping, as Brice has apparently never been in a retail store before, and runs wild, pulling things off of shelves.

The moms go deep sea fishing. Not just any fishing, but shark fishing, catching a five foot long shark.

Both fathers seem stumped on the “picking out the clothes” segment. Brian is shocked when his daughter points out they will need socks, and Leon is having trouble buying his daughters underwear.

The two families meet head-to-head in a fashion show. The kids look good; Leon has experience at street preaching and is comfortable addressing the crowd. Brian is nervous, but the Sharpes set the bar high, and he does a good job as MC, although he could have used pointers on describing the clothes. Of course, Brice isn’t ready to come out on time, and has to be coaxed out, forcing Brian to ad lib on stage. The Sharpes unanimously seem to think the Turangs won easily, but win by a score of 93 to 89.

Both families decorate the house for mom’s return. The Sharpes do a tropical island theme (because Kathy Sharpe is from Guam).

Scores:
    Time management: “A-” each
    Nutrition: “A-” Sharpe, “B-” Turang
    Parenting: “B+” Sharpe, “A-” Turang
    Housekeeping: “A” Sharpe, “A-” Turang
    Final: Sharpes win “A-” to Turang’s “B+”

185. gk91 on June 23rd, 2007 7:08 am

What no Little O love? Or Rupert Jones?

186. terry on June 23rd, 2007 7:32 am

I’m just wondering where is the love for Jerry Narron? You know he made a triumphant return last night too….

187. firova2 on June 23rd, 2007 8:25 am

185. That’s Ruppert “Two-P” Jones, if you will recall the old line from the late 70s. Still may be my favorite Mariner.

188. f2aler on June 23rd, 2007 8:25 am

I think I am a little older than Dave. My first memory of going to a Mariner’s game consists of two things. One is the home plate umpire had an exterior chest protector and two is Richie Zisk struck out to end the game.

My first favorite Mariner was Zisk. My favorite all time game from the 80s was when Phil Bradley hit a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth against the Twins in 1985.

Those were the days when my dad and I could leave our house in Normandy Park, and be at the Dome in 15 minutes….

189. joser on June 23rd, 2007 10:25 am

That really was a blast from the past. Huge home run outburst. Mariners playing embarrassingly bad and getting blown out with little more than whimper. The only thing that didn’t take this back to the 80s is the lack of two things: bad but (relatively) cheap Kingbeer and a mostly-empty Kingdome for those homerun balls to bounce around in.

But you know, if the team wanted a showcase game to demonstrate to as many casual fans as possible that there is no reason to watch another game this season, they succeeded in spades.

Imagine: Griffey might not just get credit for “saving baseball” / “building Safeco” but also for setting the stage for getting Bavasi and or Hargrove fired. When will the kid stop giving back to this city?

190. vitalogist on June 23rd, 2007 10:40 am

Did anyone who was at the game catch which (rookie?) mariner reliever got caught carrying the pink backpack across the outfield just as the anthem started? He set it down and started distancing himself from it – priceless… anyway who was it?

191. joser on June 23rd, 2007 12:16 pm

Well, I wasn’t at the parl but Ryan Rowland-Smith got called up (Baek went on the 15 day) and made his MLB debut in the game, so if anyone had the pink backpack of shame I imagein it was him (I think Morrow had it previously, unless some other rookie slipped in and out of the musical bullpen chairs during the road trip). RRS also struck out Griffey, so if the backpack helped with that I hope he continues to wear it.

192. earinc on June 23rd, 2007 1:42 pm

I was at the game last night and, aside from the pre-game ceremony, had a miserable time. This was for a variety of reasons:

1) The game. It sucked. Tie between the M’s and umpires as to who sucked worse.

2) The fans. I sat and watched the first inning from my view reserve seat and in that 45 minutes or hour, I saw several people leave their seats and go get food or beer two or three times, and not between innings. The vast majority had no concern for who was batting or whose view was being obstructed by their repeated standing and sitting. To most people there, it was just a scene. One guy stood up at no point to make a cell phone call. A guy a couple rows backed yelled, “Sit DOWN!” and the guy turned around and said “Oh, RELAX!” There were also way more infants and toddlers than usual. I watched one woman, in a jersey with the name “AMYBEAR” who was sitting near the top row of the third level, take her fidgety baby daughter up and down the stairs at least five times in five innings, never between innings, obstructing views all along the way and oblivious to the game. It was just a scene, not a game. Even when Junior was batting, people were walking up and down, oblivious to who was batting, even though it was the guy they paid to purportedly come watch. It was a drag. We left after six innings not because the M’s were losing, but because my fellow fans were horrible. The drunks on the bus home were way more tolerable.

3) The radio coverage. Why is it that every fan and dj on talk radio has to celebrate Junior by tearing down someone else, usually Ichiro. “That was a REAL superstar out there today, man, the fans who weren’t around then don’t get it when they talk about Ichiro being a superstar.” I heard a variation like this several times on KJR after the game.

4) The traffic! Holy crap, this was the worst game-related gridlock in ages. My wife and I took the bus in ballard, hit complete gridlock in belltown, and got out and walked to the stadium faster than the busses. We left at 5:15 and almost missed the pre-game ceremony.

All of this said, it was worth it for the pre-game. As someone who was at all of those playoff games in 1995, and a chunk of the regular season, and another game a year or two before were Junior hit three homers in a game, I remain a huge Junior fan, and the ceremony was touching. Edgar still looks like a stud.

193. BLYKMYK44 on June 23rd, 2007 1:59 pm

I had to say that it gets a little tedious hearing all the “real fans” complain about all the other “fake fans” at Safeco.

I’m not sure what the desperate attempt is to differentiate one side from the other…and when I attend the game I watch the game and enjoy it. Will every fan be as into the game as the readers of USSMariner? No, of course not. However, there are many more of those people and those people are a much bigger part of the money that is used to run the organization…so lets quit complaining about the girls in the pink jerseys, the hydroplane races, etc. etc.

Its annoying.

194. BLYKMYK44 on June 23rd, 2007 2:01 pm

“I agree with those who say that the impact of Griffey cannot be accurately measured unless the experience of following this team closely in the years before his arrival had been endured first. From 1977-88, this team was an abysmal failure, and cheering for it has probably marked me psychologically for life. But I loved the team, and when Griffey arrived (along with some other talented people like Martinez, Buhner, Johnson) there was hope.”

- I don’t see how that can be true at all. Much like Dave, Griffey came up just as I started watching baseball and I became one of his biggest fans. In fact, I would probably argue the converse of what you are saying. The people who enjoy and appreciate Jr. are the ones who never knew what baseball was until he came along and made them change their minds.

195. terry on June 23rd, 2007 2:13 pm

Griffey was to the Mariners like Tiger is to golf. The diehards watched the Ms no matter what because they were passionate about baseball just like people watched golf on tv before Tiger. But Jr made alot of other people with perhaps less passion than the diehards take notice and watch the Ms much like I watch the final Sunday of the Masters because I want to see Tiger in the back 9 even though I only golf maybe twice a year and then only to spend time with my Dad.

196. areacode206 on June 23rd, 2007 2:16 pm

Like many on this site, I, too grew up watching the likes of Tom Paciorek, Dan Meyer, Julio and Todd Cruz, Bruce Bochte, Jeff Burroughs, etc..I still have game programs with Maury Wills on the cover if you can believe.

But M’s were never the “in” thing back then until Junior got here. Without him, I seriously doubt baseball would’ve survived here. If you recollect Argyros and later Sumylan tried several times to move the team and who can blame them with average attendance hovering around 15K on most nights. It wasn’t until “The Kid” arrived that started to change.

It still gives me goosebumps whenever I see replays of his playing days here in the old concrete mausoleum..and makes me wonder what could have been if they were able to somehow keep the team of 95 intact little longer.

Anyway, no matter how much of a prima donna or crass he was..he will forever be known as the main cog that saved baseball in Seattle. Period. And I was very happy to be there last night to see him playing on the field that he helped build.

197. brucebochte on June 23rd, 2007 2:17 pm

I wonder if any M’s reporters asked M’s players why they laid down that game last night. I would have been pissed as a player in M’s uniform to see the organization mark this day as the biggest this season (except Edgar’s day), then see Griffey get his reception. I can see ballplayers cursing Junior under their breath, wondering when the fans will get over the past and embrace this team. Don’t think it’s going to happen with current ownership, management or players though.

198. true_slicky on June 23rd, 2007 3:33 pm

Jeff Smulyan tried, in vain, to move the Mariners to Indianapolis while Griffey was on the team. That kind of pokes a hole in the “Griffey saved baseball in Seattle” talk. It was the 1995 team in total- including even Bob Wolcott- that saved baseball in the Emerald City. As Junior himself said last night, if the M’s ownership hadn’t surrounded him with the likes of Edgar & Jay (and Tino and Blowers, etc. etc.) but had KGJ smack in the middle of the sub-replacement level types that were fielded throughout the 80s, you’d have to drive thrity miles south on I-5 to get your baseball fix.

Oh, and some Mariners faves from the past that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Brian Holman (traded with Randy, throw a 26-man perfect game… and disappear from baseball? really?)
    Gorman Thomas
    Steve Balboni
    the “pitchfork” logo…

199. msb on June 23rd, 2007 5:16 pm

well, as players on both teams were hanging over the rail watching the ceremony (and at least one of the Reds was taping it) it would seem they all got why it might be important … and most of the players now playing were growing up when Griffey was the ‘best player in baseball’

200. msb on June 23rd, 2007 5:22 pm

[snort]

guess whose column accompanies this headline?

“M’s should bring Griffey home to stay”

201. Karen on June 23rd, 2007 5:41 pm

I thought Junior and his son Trey looked more emotional and affected by all the adulation than his wife, who’s apparently a native of the area. She just looked pissed until she came up and stood alongside of him for pictures.

I’d heard she didn’t like living here, but from the look on her face you’d think people had treated her like Red Sox fans treated Clemens’ wife when he became a Blue Jay/Yankee.

38. Gomez Says: 29 – I’d like to hear of any other teams that have done this, and when.

About 8 years ago Carlton Fisk retired a White Sox, but was inducted into the Red Sox HOF and got this kind of ceremony for his years of service as a Red Sox in the 70s and beginning of the 80s.

39. MedicineHat Says: I have a hard time getting excited for a guy who demanded a trade, then limitd it to one team and, for as much good as he did Seattle, totally screwed them upon his exit. I have much more respect for a guy who just becomes a free agent and leaves for the sole purpose of more money. At least we know that person isn’t two-faced liar.

I wouldn’t say the players the M’s received for Griffey were a case of them being “screwed”. And Griffey didn’t lie one iota. He said what he wanted, and he was within his 10-5 and no-trade-clause rights, as someone else said. It was ARod who lied straightfaced while leaving “for the sole purpose of more money” (yada, yada, yada).

48. Paul B Says: Anyone know why Junior wears #3 now?
    I think they said during the broadcast that he wears #3 to honor his father, who wore the number. And he wore #24 because that was Willie Mays’ number.

202. Karen on June 23rd, 2007 5:42 pm

(wait a minute, it was more than 8 years ago — it was 1995 –that Carlton Fisk retired… :) boy, how time flies)

203. msb on June 23rd, 2007 5:50 pm

Melissa often looked pissy (you could easily see the family section in the mostly empty Kingdome and sometimes it was more entertaining than the game)– I think it may just be her general expression; dunno if it actually mirrors her feelings ….

Paul B Says: Anyone know why Junior wears #3 now?

Tony Perez’ 24 was retired, so he chose 30 for his dad, and when he decided he needed a change, he took 3 for the three kids.

204. Rain Delay on June 23rd, 2007 5:55 pm

201- He wore #30 to honor his dad, and when his dad left the Reds, he changed to #3 to honor his 3 kids.

205. Rain Delay on June 23rd, 2007 5:55 pm

ooop, msb beat me to it.

206. terry on June 23rd, 2007 6:24 pm

#210: I saw her wiping tears from her eyes a couple of times.

207. earinc on June 23rd, 2007 10:38 pm

193: the difference isn’t whether you read USSM or not. The difference is, I paid $20 for my seat and couldn’t see home plate without looking right across an aisle. I was on the very left end of section 320 in right field. I couldn’t see home plate any time someone walked down that aisle in front of me. And wouldn’t you know, there was someone walking down that aisle right in front of me more often than not, and I had to crane my neck to see anything. And I couldn’t help but notice that most of these people keeping me from watching the game clearly couldn’t give a shit as to what was going on in the game. So yes, I was frustrated. But not because I’m a better fan than them, but because they were keeping me from enjoying what I paid for.

208. Wishhiker on June 24th, 2007 2:37 am

Griffey had #24 because, like me, he was a huge fan of Henderson. He grew up around Henderson quite a bit. He played Basketball and catch with him among other things beginning when his father was teammates with Rickey in NY. It’s accurate to say that it’s because it was Mays’ number, because that’s why Henderson wore it…