Game 86, Tigers at Mariners

Dave · July 12, 2007 at 6:47 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Miller vs Hernandez, 7:05 pm.

Happy Felix Day. No, really, this might be the happiest Felix Day in a long time, because I can finally hang up the Mix Your Pitches soapbox and just enjoy the ballgame.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the kid the Tigers are throwing tonight, well, you could say I’m something of a fan. I wrote this report in March of 2006, and I then spent the next few months trying to convince anyone who would listen that Andrew Miller was a left-handed Roy Halladay, and clearly the best pitcher in the draft. The Mariners picked 5th overall and selected Brandon Morrow. The Tigers then proceeded to take Miller with the next pick. (There were extenuating circumstances surrounding the draft, covered here, so I’m not criticizing the scouting department for not selecting Miller.)

Of course, Morrow has since been turned into Matt Thornton 2.0, a hard-throwing reliever with no command or secondary pitches. Meanwhile, despite pitching issues of their own, the Tigers refused to alter Miller’s development plan, having him begin the year in A-ball while refining his overall game until he was ready to step into their rotation. A month ago, they made the call, and Miller’s solidified himself as a key member of their pitching staff, and a guy who will be counted on to start for them in October should the Tigers make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Brandon Morrow’s lost his job as the right-handed setup man to Chris Reitsma and Sean Green, and will now pitch the middle innings when the ability to throw the ball over the plate is not required.

Had some different decisions been made, the two guys taking the hill tonight could both be Mariners – the 21-year-old right-handed prodigy and the 23-year-old left-handed phenom. Andrew Miller could have been starting for the Mariners tomorrow night. On the brightside, if we need someone to come in and issue an intentional walk, we’re set for the next 15 years, so that worked out well too.

But you know what? As much as I like Andrew Miller, he’s not Felix. Let’s hope the ace the Mariners actually do have shows up the rookie tonight.

Comments

378 Responses to “Game 86, Tigers at Mariners”

1. Tek Jansen on July 12th, 2007 6:54 pm

You know, throughout all of the first half reviews offered up by radio shows and FSN, not one, at least not one that I saw, mentioned Green. He has clearly performed better than Reitsma and Morrow. Imagine, if he had pitched this well in ST, then maybe the M’s do send Morrow down to the minors.

2. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 6:54 pm

Dave, using your Future Forty system what numbers would you have given Miller?

3. Dave on July 12th, 2007 6:57 pm

He’d be a 10 reward, probably a 5 or 6 risk. His package of awesome sinking two-seamer, high velocity four seamer, knockout slider, and solid command from the left-side at 23-years-old makes him an elite young pitcher. I don’t call him a left-handed Roy Halladay lightly – this kid has the talent to be a dominant starter for a long time.

4. TheMsfan on July 12th, 2007 6:59 pm

Dave, do you think Morrow has no future? or are you saying that Morrow has no place on the major league roster now? or a combo of both good sir.

5. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks, I have heard about the sinking two seamer that dives into RH’s and am excited to watch him pitch for the first time.

6. fetish on July 12th, 2007 7:01 pm

Hmmm… this begs the question: are Morrows “command” issues fundamental to his character as a pitcher, or just another skill he’ll need to learn?

If we put him back to AAA or AA to work on it, who replaces him? Mateo?

7. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:01 pm

The line about the intentional walk is hyperbole and sarcasm. Morrow may become a major league pitcher someday – he’s not one now, though, and he’ll never be Andrew Miller. He really should be in West Tennessee right now, figuring out how to throw strikes and developing his secondary pitches.

It sucks that the politics of baseball conspired to keep the M’s from drafting Miller, because I don’t think any team in baseball could use him more than the Mariners right now.

8. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:01 pm

So have you decided Morrow’s no good or do you think he just desperately needs some time in the minors? I’m inclined to think the latter, but I’d be interested in what you have to say.

9. Rumpelstiltskin on July 12th, 2007 7:01 pm

Ichiro! followed by ‘designated hitter’ Vidro in the two hole. ‘left fielder’ Ibanez batting 3rd. Ugh…

/broken record

10. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:02 pm

Nevermind. You already answered. So here’s question number 2: If we were to trade Balentien, who do you think we could realistically get?

11. Norm Charlton Fan Club on July 12th, 2007 7:03 pm

I think I jumped the gun on Adam Jones by picking him up on my fantasy team on Tuesday.

12. boxc on July 12th, 2007 7:04 pm

Dave, I’m interested in your opinion of this,

He grades Morrow as the second best pick of the first round, mechanics wise. Is he a lost cause as far as the walks go, or can he still develop into a dominating starter/reliever?

13. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:06 pm

Fraid so, Norm. Even if they had called him up, it might be a little early to call him Hunter Pence II.

14. Allen Jacobs on July 12th, 2007 7:07 pm

Dave, can you elborate on your intent in stating “politics of baseball conspired to keep the M’s from drafting Miller”?

15. fetish on July 12th, 2007 7:07 pm

Is that Evil Rizzs making another appearance?

16. AK1984 on July 12th, 2007 7:07 pm

In light of Andrew Miller and Tim Lincecum’s success thus far throughout their respective careers, the selection of Brandon Morrow with the fourth pick in the 2006 MLB Draft is looking worse each and every day.

Since Morrow has a low variety of pitches and a piss-poor K:BB ratio of approximately 1 to 1, it currently appears that his future in MLB is that of a hard-throwing middle reliever.

I could easily be wrong about that, though.

17. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:09 pm

It’s in the second linked article in the post.

18. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 7:10 pm

Let us all have a Happy Felix Day and a good start to the 2nd half!

19. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:11 pm

I find Carlos’ work interesting, but I’m not qualified to have an opinion on pitching mechanics at his level.

I’m not writing Morrow off – he could turn into a good pitcher down the road. Don’t take this post as “Dave Hates Morrow”. He’s just not Andrew Miller.

20. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:12 pm

Anyone else freak out when the announcers started out by saying, “We have a roster change.” Alas, it was just about Dave having some time off.

They were talking about the Friday announcement and while they didn’t say it was official, I guess that’s pretty official.

21. boxc on July 12th, 2007 7:14 pm

[i]He’s just not Andrew Miller.[/i]

“Stiff, stiff, stiff. OK, so it looks like he has good movement on his pitches, and he’s tall and lefthanded. Takes the ball out of the glove too early for my liking. Leads with his front shoulder, which I don’t like. Just glides into foot plant. Just doesn’t use his body well to throw. No oomph with his body/legs. Again, he’s tall and a lefty, but I don’t understand the mega-hype. I’ve watched his video a number of times and I still don’t get it. I just don’t see him keeping his velocity throughout his career, as his shoulder just takes a beating. I hope I’m wrong because I’d love to have a Bonderman/Verlander/Zumaya/Miller/Robertson rotation myself in a few years.”

He thinks Miller is an injury concern. What is really interesting is that if Morrow was given Miller’s development time, we could be talking about Morrow as the slamdunk pick of the draft, I think.

22. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:15 pm

I don’t know want to talk about the fact that he threw nothing but fastballs in that at-bat…

23. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:15 pm

Hey Rick, how about looking at the umpire’s call.

24. boxc on July 12th, 2007 7:16 pm

There’s your breaking ball to Sheff, Dave.

25. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:16 pm

22 – first pitch change up there.

26. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:16 pm

First pitch curve – awesome. I’m going to shut up about this now.

27. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 7:16 pm

So is it his fault, Johjima’s fault, or the bench’s fault?

28. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 7:17 pm

If he didn’t throw Sheff a fastball all night I would be ok with that.

29. boxc on July 12th, 2007 7:17 pm

Where was Lopez?

30. fetish on July 12th, 2007 7:18 pm

unfortunate… was Lopez feinting at second base on that hit?

31. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:18 pm

That’s just bad defensive alignment. That ball was hit right to where Lopez should have been. They were way too worried about Granderson at second.

32. KW on July 12th, 2007 7:18 pm

100mph on gameday…he’s dialing it up tonight.

33. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:21 pm

Darn, unlucky inning. We could have had dp’s on two of those hits, if the Tigers hadn’t been all run-run-running.

Oh well.

34. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 7:22 pm

33 – Still not as bas as it could have been…

35. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:23 pm

That’s actually a pretty terrific first inning for Felix. Ignoring the Granderson at-bat for a second, he got a whole bunch of ground balls, all of which would have been easy double-plays in a normal circumstance. The Tigers did a good job of avoiding the DP by sending Granderson and Sheffield, and the M’s gave away an out with Lopez’s positioning on Sheffield’s hit, so that run had very little to do with Felix’s pitching.

Agains this line-up, you’ll take that kind of pitching every day. That’s Good Felix, even though they scored a run.

36. Dylan on July 12th, 2007 7:23 pm

Kenji has only thrown out 29 percent of those trying to steal? I’ll admit I haven’t really paid attention to it, but that’s Piazza territory, no?

37. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:24 pm

Cool! Dave backed up my analysis!

38. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 7:24 pm

Vidro…

39. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:25 pm

Piazza territory is 5-7%. 32% is league average. Kenji’s fine.

40. John in L.A. on July 12th, 2007 7:25 pm

You are more forgiving of the Morrow pick than I was.

What really bugs me about that kind of unofficial commissioner interference is that it simply punishes the teams who decide to follow “the rules.”

I mean, what happened to Detroit? Bare bottom spankings? Worse seats at the all star game for the owner?

So here we are now and Detroit has Miller and we have freaking Morrow and Detroit suffers no apparent damage from Bud’s big stick. Humbug.

41. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 7:25 pm

We don’t care Vidro, just go sit on the bench so we can watch AJ hit doubles!

42. Lucky Number on July 12th, 2007 7:25 pm

Turbo once again silences his critics…

43. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 7:25 pm

Dave, what’s your view on Granderson as a player? Do you think he has a chance to be one of the better players in the league in the next couple of years?

44. msb on July 12th, 2007 7:27 pm

and as I have to remind myself, these are the Good Tigers, not the Patsy Tigers.

and if Mike Winters continues with this interesting strike zone …

45. ameslakemike on July 12th, 2007 7:27 pm

Ken Levine, who was a Mariner’s broadcaster sometime back in the 90′s and these days broadcasts only sporadically when he’s not writing comedy for television, is on the radio solo tonight. He’s a funny guy but might be in just a little over his head. I really like Ken, hope he has a great series. His blog is at kenlevine.blogspot.com.

46. zzyzx on July 12th, 2007 7:27 pm

See, Morrow wouldn’t have done that ;)

Great pick!

47. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:27 pm

Granderson’s a lot of fun to root for, but he’s a bit over his head right now. His SLG% is being inflated by an unsustainable triples rate. I think he can be a .280/.350/.460 guy for most of his career, and when combined with his defense in center, that makes him a very good player.

48. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 7:28 pm

He is a Tigers pitcher! Maybe that is why we didn’t draft him.

49. msb on July 12th, 2007 7:29 pm

is Sims off, too? odd for him to be off during Dave’s annual midseason vacation.

50. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 7:31 pm

Sexson displaying his power…

At least he didn’t strike out, not that it really matters.

51. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 7:31 pm

Sims was reported to be “under the weather” — hence, Rizzs on TV.

52. ameslakemike on July 12th, 2007 7:33 pm

Ken’s best line of the night so far,, when Felix turned and faked a throw to second: “Maybe one of the most exciting plays in baseball…the spin around.”

53. msb on July 12th, 2007 7:34 pm

I’d heard Levine was coming in, and my thought at the time was that it would be good to hear him with Neihaus again. ah, well.

54. Bodhizefa on July 12th, 2007 7:35 pm

I would absolutely love to hear what the actual ramifications are for a team paying above slot (as per post #40). Detroit is making a KILLING year after year in the draft because they seemingly don’t care about this slot money craziness. Note to MLB: Make a rule official with official penalties or shut your frakking mouth about it!

55. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:35 pm

Looking pretty good so far (I don’t care about the run they got on one hard hit ball). Has Felix turned a corner? Can we expect a stronger Felix from here on out?

56. johnb on July 12th, 2007 7:35 pm

I love Miller, but the guy I would have picked if I couldn’t take Miller was Linnecum. Nothing against Morrow because he hasn’t had the chance to develop, but I always thought Tim would be able to step in and take a spot in the rotation.

57. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 7:37 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizzs (and Blowers and Sims) in the press box at Sunday’s game in Oakland. I must say, they were all great guys and very gracious. I enjoyed it very much.

58. msb on July 12th, 2007 7:37 pm

speaking of lines, I did enjoy (how odd to say this) Ted Miller’s note today about Marlin’s president David Samson:

“Samson, by the way, got his job because he’s owner Jeff Loria’s stepson. Loria, once voted one of the top 10 greediest owners in sports by ESPN.com, is best known for being a terrible owner and firing manager Joe Girardi in 2006 because Girardi had the audacity to tell Loria to stop heckling the umpires during a game. The terminated Girardi went on to win NL Manager of the Year. “

59. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:41 pm

Bad glove by Casey. He should make that play.

60. fetish on July 12th, 2007 7:41 pm

For all the Sexson trash talk… we could have Sean Casey.

61. mpriest13 on July 12th, 2007 7:42 pm

Anyone know how much both Miller and Morrow ended up signing for?

62. The Unknown Comic on July 12th, 2007 7:43 pm

Glad I picked this Miller kid up for my fantasy team yesterday.

63. msb on July 12th, 2007 7:43 pm

oh, yay. Batista will draw Froemming behind the plate on saturday. I assume he won’t be drawing any days off for the tossing in Oakland :)

64. Karen on July 12th, 2007 7:45 pm

You get the feeling MLB makes up the rules as they go along…

At a glacial pace, no less.

65. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 7:45 pm

At least they made Miller work that inning. 33 pitches through 2.

66. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:46 pm

Looking back on your original scouting report, Dave, you had Miller listed as a ground ball machine. He’s certainly showed that tonight.

67. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 7:47 pm

Granderson can flat out rake.

68. johnb on July 12th, 2007 7:48 pm

65…that is the way you beat the Tigers, knock the pitcher out and get to the bullpen.

69. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:49 pm

Not only can Granderson rake, but he’s a damn fine baserunner. That was a slick move, heading down to third.

70. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:51 pm

Dave, has Felix stopped throwing his two-seamer? It seems like his fastballs always clock in around 95-96 now, and he doesn’t have that 92-94 two-seamer making an appearance.

71. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 7:51 pm

A ground ball pitcher against the hacktastic Mariner hitters. Unless I missed something, no fly balls by the M’s in the first two innings.

72. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 7:52 pm

70 – I ‘m seeing his pitches hit 98-100 on gameday and 96-98 on tv. right now…

73. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:53 pm

Crap. Felix throws the pitch he wants, gets the batter to swing, gets crappy contact, and it bounces off the plate for a run-scoring single.

74. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 7:55 pm

OK, sorry to bother everyone, but I am listening to the radio and however funny Levine may be, he cannot do play by play. What happened on the Ordonez at bat, which Levine said first was a bloop to Beltre and then a single off the plate?

75. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:55 pm

Despite the five hits and two runs, I think Felix is throwing well. He’s had some bad luck.

76. Karen on July 12th, 2007 7:56 pm

#58. Samson’s as much an idiot as Buster Olney is. Samson said Ichiro’s “led his team to zero?”

What about Ichiro’s first year in MLB? Seems to me the Mariners won 116 games that year and beat Cleveland in the division series, and got beat by the Yanks in the ALCS (who went on to lose themselves in the WS).

And this year is a fine example of what happens when a premier player has an outstanding year for a less than productive team, and said premier player cannot pull said team out of their doldrums (see: NY Yankees). The same thing happened to the Mariners the last couple of years.

77. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 7:56 pm

74 – It was a high chopper off the plate.

78. Dave on July 12th, 2007 7:56 pm

Felix’s velocity has jumped back up to pre-injury levels tonight. The four-seamer is 94-99, the two-seamer is 94-95.

79. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 7:57 pm

#77
    Thanks. Levine enjoys his own stories too much.

80. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 7:58 pm

Did anyone see this?

Is ESPN ripping Dave off?

81. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 7:58 pm

Vidro, hitting like he’s on the hot-seat

82. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 7:58 pm

I honestly can’t see the difference between the four-seamer and the sinker. I think that’s why I watch the games on TV, instead of sitting in the dugout.

Well, that, and a whole bunch of other reasons.

83. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:00 pm

If you think our guys on FSN NW are bad. You should listen to FSN Detroit which I am watching now. Not very good at all.

84. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 8:00 pm

Why is Ibanez in the 3 hole against Miller when he already has enough problems against lefties.

85. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 8:00 pm

81. And sadly, this is the best he can do.

I like Valle’s line: He’s not trying to do too much there…

No, I think that’s the simply the best he can do. He’s still go the eye, but he has no power. So he puts the bat out there and the ball goes for a single.

86. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:01 pm

Oooh, the announcers are starting to talk up Adam Jones. I think the organization’s priming the fan base for a move.

I hope the organization’s priming the fan base for a move.

87. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:01 pm

Announcer: The reason Ichiro gets so many infield hits is because the dirt around the plate is so hard. Verbatim.

88. fetish on July 12th, 2007 8:02 pm

You know, part of me dreads to bring this up, but…

USSM crew have commented on occasion that Bloomquist has stuck with the team because he’s a local white kid. Is it possible that Jones isn’t already up because he’s black?

89. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 8:03 pm

And now here’s Richie again with 2 on and 2 outs…

90. ameslakemike on July 12th, 2007 8:04 pm

When I was a kid growing up in Michigan, it was George Kell and Al Kaline on TV and Ernie Harwell on the radio. Greatness.

And I lived halfway between Detroit and Chicago so I could also listen to Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau do the Cubs on radio with Jack Brickhouse on TV. Its hard for a kid not to be a fan when they put the love of the game they had into it.

91. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:04 pm

88 — Please stop. That is absurd.

92. lotus eater on July 12th, 2007 8:04 pm

Just to address the (Dave supplied) reason why the Mariners didn’t draft Andrew Miller -

Miller’s signing bonus was $3.55 million, which was only $1 million more than the recommended slot bonus.

The Mariners probably sell about a million dollars in garlic fries in a week…

93. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:04 pm

Would be a good time to start his second half surge.

Unless he’s just going to suck it up the second half as well.

94. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:05 pm

Jones’ color has nothing to do with it.

95. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 8:05 pm

89. Yes, it does seem as though we always have two outs when we have men on. And…there he goes: OUT.

96. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:06 pm

88: Don’t ascribe malice to that which can be attributed as incompetence. :-)

I used to have my doubts about the mariners circa 2002 when they got rid of most of their “brown” players like Freddy and Carlos Guillen. The club became pretty white then. It’s hard to make that claim now however.

97. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:06 pm

Miller’s total package was worth just over $6 million. The signing bonus was only part of his deal. The Tigers went way over slot to sign him.

98. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 8:07 pm

Every time Carlos Guillen comes up to bat against us, it is like a wound. Of course, when I think of the hitters around the league who used to be with us, I feel like William Holden at the end of The Wild Bunch.

99. Karen on July 12th, 2007 8:08 pm

88. See Jason Ellison, local kid (So. Kitsap High).

100. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 8:08 pm

Looks like all the breaks are going for the Tigers today…

101. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 8:09 pm

I dunno. If you’re going to claim that Bloomquist is on the club because he is a local white boy, it’s not such a reach to say someone else might have gotten to the club faster if he’d BEEN a local white boy.

Anyway. Fuck. Guillen, you NEEDED to get that back in.

102. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:10 pm

Jesus. Comon now.

Guillen looks like he’s even managed to get some chew on his shirt. Way to go.

103. Allen Jacobs on July 12th, 2007 8:10 pm

Tigers are willing to make the moves to win. After all their ultimate accountability is not to Bud Selig. M’s ownership isn’t that bold so they only have themselves to blame.

104. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 8:10 pm

Karen: So it’s easier for local black boys to get on the club, but they’re permanent bench dwellers? :>

YESSSS lopez!

105. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:11 pm

I have tickets to tomorrow’s Bonderman-Washburn matchup. Go or sell tickets?

106. LH sock puppet on July 12th, 2007 8:11 pm

#86–

Sorry to have to break this to you. I listened to the pregame. The manager interview is quite instructive. Tonight, Mac said this (paraphrasing):
    Adam Jones is terrific. He’s in Tacoma to get at bats and continue to learn pitch recognition. He’ll be up one day. But for now, the team is doing very well.

Yes, folks, we have ourselves another don’t rock the boat manager.

107. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:12 pm

103: I agree. Trying to appease the commish is nice. Trying to win is better. Andrew Miller would be a big step up from Horacio Ramirez. Wonder if having Andrew Miller means we could’ve kept Rafael Soriano…

108. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:13 pm

Valle says: “Little breaking ball.”

No, that was a nasty, hard, 90 MPH slider. Yech.

109. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:13 pm

106: I wonder how much this is Mac vs the organization. Strictly speaking this is not his decision.

110. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 8:14 pm

#106
    Well, he is an interim manager. What is he going to do under the circumstances? Say the GM is wrong in an interview?

111. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:15 pm

Listening to some of you people, you’d think the Imperial Wizard of the Klan is the Mariners’ GM. Then again, Bavasi does have kind of a skin head.

112. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:15 pm

Felix shook Joh off on that strikeout. I think Joh may have called for a fast ball.

113. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 8:16 pm

Wow. Was Rizzs right, was that a curve ball? Interesting to see Felix shake Johjima off before throwing that last pitch (although at 91 mph, wouldn’t that be more likely to be a two-seamer?)

In spite of years of watching baseball on TV, I can barely recognize one pitch from another. I need an online course or something.

114. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 8:17 pm

MD: Geez. Way to overreact to extremely hesitant speculation.

115. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:17 pm

Wow, Felix showed great composure there. He sure does pitch like a much more mature pitcher. Doesn’t seem to get too emotional, except after he gets out of a stressful inning.

116. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:17 pm

I think the 90-91 pitch is his slider. The mid-80s is his curve. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

My general rule of thumb for Felix: 95ish is fastball. 90ish is slider. Mid-80s is curve or change. Usually, you can tell the change ‘cuz it tails away from a lefty, and I don’t think he throws it much to righties.

117. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 8:18 pm

Rally Fish and Chips? Can we handout some fries just in case?

118. Norm Charlton Fan Club on July 12th, 2007 8:19 pm

Why the hell is he calling for a sign from the ump on a possible strike 3 instead of running???

119. cgmonk on July 12th, 2007 8:19 pm

Beltre checking his swing on the strikeout!

120. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:19 pm

The 88-92 breaking ball is a slider – the curve is 80-84.

121. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:20 pm

114 — I would say it was absurd speculation that made no sense. But whatever.

122. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:21 pm

Pudge getting ejected is a very good thing for the M’s.

123. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:22 pm

Hit the showers, Pudge.

124. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:22 pm

117. Don’t knock it. it’s working.

125. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:22 pm

What the heck did Pudge say? That didn’t take long.

126. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:23 pm

Pudge had a case, there. He just got a little too animated expressing it.

127. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:23 pm

125. He bumped the ump.

128. bhsmarine on July 12th, 2007 8:23 pm

He bumped him at some point, looked accidental but still did it.

129. G-Man on July 12th, 2007 8:24 pm

Chips=fries

Overshadowed was the silly-looking slide into third by Beltre.

130. Sparhawk2k on July 12th, 2007 8:24 pm

Looked like he did it twice. He ignored the first one but by that time he was so animated he wasn’t going to ignore it again.

131. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:25 pm

Pudge is totally right – Betancourt completely interfered with Rodriguez’s path to throw. Pudge shouldn’t have bumped the ump, but he’s dead on about the ump blowing this call.

132. burlyqueen on July 12th, 2007 8:25 pm

Yuni’s massive overswing works in our favor this time.

133. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:25 pm

Dear Lord, we didn’t need that pop up.

134. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:26 pm

What’s the penalty for the obstruction? Runner returns to first, batter called out?

(Incidentally, the scene that ran through my head was Crash Davis getting thrown out at home plate in Bull Durham.)

135. fetish on July 12th, 2007 8:27 pm

interesting ESPN Gameday bug – it counted Beltre’s strikeout as an out.

136. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:28 pm

Andrew Miller has been everything he was advertised to be tonight. Wow. The kid’s got dynamic stuff.

137. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:28 pm

This kid can pitch.

138. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:29 pm

I would prefer to see him look terrific against another team.

139. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:30 pm

75 pitches for Miller now.

140. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:31 pm

The bright side: Miller’s thrown 75 pitches through four. The M’s are going to see the Detroit bullpen here, sooner or later.

141. Kunkoh on July 12th, 2007 8:31 pm

It looked like he [Pudge] bumped him, while bending over to point at YuBet’s foot print. Completely incidental contact. Unlucky for Pudge, but lucky for us.

142. dislocated on July 12th, 2007 8:32 pm

He’s been great, but as Rick L. pointed out above, 75 through 4 innings means we are actually making him work. It seems as if wnen the M’s prepare themselves for a challenge like Miller, they are much more “professional” (not chasing early) hitters. It’s been said before, we struggle much more against AAA talent pitchers…

143. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:33 pm

Sure would be nice to give the King some run support to show your appreciation.

144. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:34 pm

That last strikeout, made more likely by Kenji framing the pitch, is one of the reasons it is hard to quantify the contribution of the catcher to a team.

145. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:34 pm

How could Rick Rizzs watch this game and then compliment Felix’s fastball command?

146. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 8:34 pm

I don’t know if anybody else is listenting to this, but I am listening to a borscht belt comedian, not to a baseball game. Levine had absolutely no details about what Pudge did.

147. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:34 pm

It’s amazing how quick Gary’s bat is. Ugh.

148. Dave on July 12th, 2007 8:35 pm

Framing is a myth. If you’re going to credit Kenji for that one, are you going to blame him for all the ones the ump misses?

149. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:35 pm

The Tigers bullpen isn’t strong. Miller’s throwing a lot of pitches. I don’t think the M’s are getting shut out tonight.

150. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:36 pm

145: Cuz our announcers are overly positive morons. I’ve never heard them say anything negative about any of players beyond “He’s struggling right now, but you know he’s about to turn it around.”

151. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:36 pm

Did Valle just say “Not paying attention to Sheffield at first base?”

152. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 8:38 pm

151. Yes, after Sheff stole second.

153. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:39 pm

I was about to get annoyed at ‘em for walking Guillen, and then I heard that Rabelo was next. 240/293/320 looks a lot better than 325/393/576.

154. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:39 pm

Woo! After all that bad luck, I thought that might get through.

155. Jordan of Boise on July 12th, 2007 8:40 pm

Hey Dave! Sexson couldn’t have made that play if he was four feet tall!!! =)

156. burlyqueen on July 12th, 2007 8:40 pm

Felix tossed to first two times at least in the Sheffield at bat and framing is for people watching television.

157. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:41 pm

151: Technically he’s right -he wasn’t paying attention to him on first base.

158. Des71 on July 12th, 2007 8:42 pm

My Oh My! Where did they find this Ken guy?

159. fetish on July 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

Ichiro is OPSing .000 since the All-Star Break. Looks like he got that contract extension and started loafing already.

160. mstaples on July 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

Who is Al Levine? I could have asked my own accountant with a nasal, snively voice to call the game if I knew that was needed.

161. David* on July 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

3 for 3! Sign him to an extension!

162. mstaples on July 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

Er, Ken Levine. Whoever he is, I’m about to put this on mute.

163. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

Turbo playing for his job…

164. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:44 pm

This is going to add fuel to Corcoran’s dad’s fire.

165. SpokaneMsFan on July 12th, 2007 8:44 pm

Does anyone else find it comical that Turbo keeps on hitting singles among all this speculation?

166. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:44 pm

Touche, 157.

167. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:44 pm

Maybe Pinky and the Brain weren’t so bad afterall.

168. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 8:46 pm

Ken Levine is an Emmy winning writer/director/producer/major league baseball announcer. In a career that has spanned over 30 years Ken has worked on MASH, CHEERS, FRASIER, THE SIMPSONS, WINGS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, BECKER, DHARMA & GREG, and has co-created his own series including ALMOST PERFECT starring Nancy Travis.

169. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:46 pm

Ken Levine was great in “Arli$$” too.

170. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:47 pm

“Self serving program note: I will be broadcasting tonight’s Seattle Mariners game on both radio (KOMO Seattle, XM, and MLB.com) and on television (FSN Northwest). I will do this without the benefit of Eric Brynes and his dog in a kayak outside the stadium in the bay. Wish me luck. ”

Nice touch there.

171. enazario on July 12th, 2007 8:47 pm

169: Arli$$. Ugh. “Pinch my nose”

172. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:48 pm

Wow, Levine and Valle. The M’s announcers have hit new lows.

173. Des71 on July 12th, 2007 8:49 pm

Dance Polecat?!? Mike Parker (OSU) would have been a much better choice as a fill in announcer.

174. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:49 pm

Third time’s the charm? I hope…

175. Norm Charlton Fan Club on July 12th, 2007 8:49 pm

Chalk up 2 more LOBs to Sexson here

176. David* on July 12th, 2007 8:50 pm

I could use some funk right about now…..

177. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:50 pm

Richie, do me a favor and take this pitch. Okay?

178. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:50 pm

Thank you.

179. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:50 pm

Nice, Beltre with the sacks drunk.

180. Corey on July 12th, 2007 8:51 pm

He is different, but I actually recall enjoying his color commentary back in the 90′s.

Didn’t this guy write for the Simpson’s for years? (Or still does)

Anyway, it’s kind of memory lane with him back on the tube. Last time he called a game with the M’s, Griffey and Edgar wore the uniform.

181. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:51 pm

Come on, Adrian. Maybe fantasy team needs this. Also, the Mariners.

182. fetish on July 12th, 2007 8:51 pm

Levine is (was) great. Don’t you remember him as the M’s color guy in ’92? Bandwagon fans, all of you!

I mean, Levine just got called out of retirement for this game. It’s like when Kevin Collabro called a few games in like 02 or 03 (can anyone remember that).

183. apunetid on July 12th, 2007 8:51 pm

It’s all up to Adrian “2 Ks so far put hopefully not another one” Beltre.

184. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 8:51 pm

Here is where Pudge would be key for the young guy…Im calling a Grannie

185. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 8:52 pm

Yes, the two old ladies have almost finished that bottle of scotch.

Bottom of the fifth and the bags are loaded.

186. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

171: I had never seen Arli$$ until I was away this weekend and they were showing it on “ESPN Classic.” My friend said “Oh, you’ll enjoy this!”

Uh, yeah.

187. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

I liked Calabro as the announcer during those games. He called it straight, and did a nice job of keeping on top of the action.

188. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

Kevin Collabro called baseball games?

189. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

hell yes

190. David* on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

BELTRE!!!!!!

191. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

Nice slide. By Guillen…not by…what?

192. LH sock puppet on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

Good Adrian!!!

No tag!!!!

193. cgmonk on July 12th, 2007 8:53 pm

HOLY CRAP BELTRE! What was that?!

194. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

That was the wildest play I’ve seen down at second base.

195. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

When did the Keystone Cops take over the infield?

196. mstaples on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

I wonder how much it cost to buy the guys in blue for tonight’s game. This is awesome.

197. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

what the crap?

198. Norm Charlton Fan Club on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

No f’in way

199. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

holy crap! that was awesome!

200. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:54 pm

Wow, we are getting a lot of breaks tonight.

201. Jordan of Boise on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Nice Barry Sanders impersonation by the Beltre! Freeze tag in an elevator indeed!

202. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

I think he got him with the last tag

203. agingfan on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

[Rizzs]

204. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Oh man. I’m glad we got rid of that guy. Can’t tag to save his life.

205. Bozo on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Is that enough funk ?

206. ahhruff on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Bud is letting the Tigers know why you don’t sign draft picks for more than the recommended slot amount.

207. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

And we do the hokey-pokey and we turn ourselves around…

208. David* on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

WHAT THE TRUCK??????????????

209. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Tie game.

210. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

LOL!!!! And the wackiness continues!

211. Rick L on July 12th, 2007 8:55 pm

Until then.

212. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 8:56 pm

That is bullshit. He touched the bag!

213. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:56 pm

okay, so he was safe when he was called out and was out when he was called safe

214. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, I thought that was a couple bad calls.

215. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 8:57 pm

did they just call him out again? wtf?

216. apunetid on July 12th, 2007 8:57 pm

Gameday isn’t saying anything. What’s happening?

217. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 8:57 pm

Make up call by Froemming to call Beltre out for never touching the base.

218. gwangung on July 12th, 2007 8:58 pm

Oh, man. Gotta say…I have seen some ENTERTAINING baseball this season…

219. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 8:58 pm

Is this the Hidden Umpire Trick? DMZ, you out there?

220. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 8:58 pm

# 206: HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, post of the year

That was a horrible Blue job all around

221. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:00 pm

News coming in… Beltre was safe after all! We have to go back.

222. Des71 on July 12th, 2007 9:00 pm

Umm, Sportscenter is on ESPN, Mr. Levine.

223. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 9:02 pm

216:

Beltre singles into right, two runs score. Throw to the plate to get Guillen, who slides around it. Runners try to advance to second and third. Catcher throws down to second to get Beltre. Beltre slides around the tag but overslides the bag. Guillen misses the tag.

They do the hokey pokey around second base, and Guillen looks like he gets the tag between second and third. Sexson takes off for home plate, Guillen loses his handle on the ball. Sexson scores, Beltre slides into third.

Then they appeal, and Beltre is called out for never touching second. (The tape shows that he clearly touched second.) Mariners score three.

224. Sports on a Schtick on July 12th, 2007 9:05 pm

Can’t wait to see this on Baseball Tonight…

225. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 9:05 pm

It broke Yahoo anyway.

BTW, check out this great post on Levine’s blog about bad announcing gigs:

226. MedicineHat on July 12th, 2007 9:05 pm

First Froeming got the call right….saying he was not tagged (he was pretty well blocked from seeing Beltre touch the bag by the strange position of Guillen). Then he got the call wrong by not calling Beltre out when Guillen tagged him on the elbow on the third attempt. Then he got the call wrong saying beltre never touched the bag. Again, he was blocked from seeing that and the announcers saying he “ruled him safe which means he thought he touched the bag” are full of crap. The safe sign and the “no tag” sign are exactly the same. He could easily have been signaling no tag. It’s a verbal communication. Which would be why Guillen continued to pursue Beltre.

So, he got two wrong and one right. The key though is that the “appeal” of Beltre is just that…an Appeal play. So, the run counts that scored from third on that fiasco. Had he been called out on the tag on the elbow, the runner would not have crossed the plate. Ao, all in all, we came out WAY ahead on that deal.

227. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:05 pm

Ken Levine…Kenny Maine…kayak…Dog…What?

228. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:07 pm

Dear Mr. Levine,

Shut up.

Your pal,

Joe

229. apunetid on July 12th, 2007 9:08 pm

223: Thanks. Even with the (eventual) Gameday explanation, I couldn’t even begin to figure it out.

230. planB on July 12th, 2007 9:09 pm

Ken Levine sounds like a videogame baseball announcer.

231. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:11 pm

I guess I still don’t understand why the Sexson run scored. If Beltre was out for not touching the bag, surely Richie was still at third? Or wandering around, trying to figure out what to do?

Not that I’m complaining….

232. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:11 pm

I can see Dave Sims reading this board and chuckling. “Make fun of me, will you? Well, I may have to call in sick again tomorrow…”

233. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 9:12 pm

231: Since it’s not a force play, if the run scores before the out is recorded, then the run counts.

Think of it this way: Single, runner scores from third. The runner gets thrown out trying to stretch to a double. Run still counts, right? Same kind of play.

234. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:13 pm

231 – because it wasn’t a force play, that’s why Sexson’s run counts…almost Beltre…almost

235. johnb on July 12th, 2007 9:13 pm

So we get Miller out of the game and get into the bullpen down two runs….that is how you beat the Tigers, by the way Vidro is 3-3 tonight.

236. thowe1 on July 12th, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah, this is great… we get this clown two nights in a row. You know he was dying to drop that Kenny Mayne joke since he had the same freakin’ one on his website.

237. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:15 pm

I know im going to get killed for this, but i like him…

238. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:17 pm

That baseball article is PDF.

“Then I decided to mess with Bob (who was a GREAT guy by the way and a good friend). Every time he called a pitch a fast ball I called it a curve. Every time he called a slider I called it a change up. Listeners don’t believe announcers can accurately call pitches anyway. This just confirmed it.”

As Homer Simpson would say, it’s funny because it’s true.

239. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 9:19 pm

Shweet.

240. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 9:19 pm

Wow — great job by Green.

241. johnb on July 12th, 2007 9:19 pm

Levine is a treat…he is a great second banana, but running the show is tough. The thing I like about Ken is he keeps putting in the effort to be better. You guy’s all realize that he was the lead writer for Cheer’s, and Frazier, he is a pretty smart, multi talented guy.

242. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 9:20 pm

27, it is a reference to the all star game announcers.

243. johnb on July 12th, 2007 9:20 pm

Our bullpen is like 13 deep.

244. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:21 pm

233, 234. I’m still somewhat foggy, but I think I understand. Still, if we win by this score, it’s gonna be a sneaky sort of win.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

245. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:21 pm

Nice pitching…do we keep him in???

246. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 9:21 pm

Since Levine posted before the ASG that he was coming to Seattle for Thursday and Friday, I think Sims illness must have been pre-planned.

And I like Levine anyway. Throwback to the early nineties…

247. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:22 pm

241 – I hated both those shows…but he does put in the effort, don’t hate the guy, just find certain comments he makes rather amusing, I like him better then Sims…

248. planB on July 12th, 2007 9:22 pm

Kids who drink alcohol are three times as likely to gamble.

249. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:22 pm

Wow, Levine did a voice in the Simpson’s “Baseball” episode.

250. thowe1 on July 12th, 2007 9:22 pm

Hey, I fancy myself a great accountant, but you’re not going to see me attempting to be an executive at one of Atlanta’s finer establishments. It takes a certain level of talent to do play by play, talent that’s absent from this dude’s arsenal.

251. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:23 pm

244 – No, it’s a win the M’s earned, nothing sneaky at all, but can’t make it clearer than 233′s post.

252. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

Ok, they have officially ran out of shit to give out huh?

253. apunetid on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

Ichiro’s power display at the All-Star game seems to have ruined his swing.

254. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

Vidro stole Ichiro’s mojo for the night…damn him

255. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

If Vidro goes 4fer and Ichi goes Ohfer…. well, that’s just crazy talk.

256. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

248: And ice cream consumption correlates highly with swimming pool deaths.

257. planB on July 12th, 2007 9:25 pm

244: In other words, Adrian wasn’t out until he was tagged at third.

258. kyoko on July 12th, 2007 9:26 pm

So has Green suddenly got good – or is he just having a lucky streak? When I saw him pitch last year he looked very aversge.

259. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 9:27 pm

So much for getting all over the bullpen.

260. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 9:28 pm

Wow, too bad the M’s got into the Tiger bullpen.

261. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:29 pm

257 – yup, but he was only out because Froeming said he didn’t touch second base, which he clearly did. Now since it wasn’t a force out, when Richie scored it counts, because Richie scored before Beltre was tagged, now if Beltre was tagged before richie touched home, he would’ve been out. If it was a 3rd out force out, than regardless of Richie touching home before the out was recorded, the run won’t count. Don’t know if that makes any sense.

262. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 9:30 pm

My wife (the piano teacher/professor) says: “Dave Sims must subscribe to my theory of substitutes. Pick someone who’s really terrible, so when you come back everyone says, ‘Wow, you’re so great.’”

263. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 9:31 pm

Oh, oh, it’s Reitsma.

264. planB on July 12th, 2007 9:31 pm

Argh why is GS52 only facing one batter.

265. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 9:31 pm

Idiotic. Let George stay in — he’s not a LOOGY, for God’s sake!

266. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 9:31 pm

I don’t like that. I’d rather see Sherill against a rightie than Reitsma ever against anyone.

267. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:31 pm

261 – I meant “because Richie scored before Beltre was tagged, now if Beltre was tagged before richie touched home, the run doesn’t count.”

268. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:35 pm

Okay, I’ll take the run and not think about it too hard.

And sneaky is probably the wrong word. Wacky? Weird? I thought Beltre touched second, so I didn’t think he was out, so I don’t feel like the run was stolen off Detroit, but since it happened on this crazy, disputed play, it feels…I’ll go wacky.

And I have no problem accepting it. It’s a long season; those kinds of wins happen.

AH! Krazy Ken just said because the appeal came after the scoring run, it counts. Or…maybe not. *holding head*

269. David* on July 12th, 2007 9:35 pm

Reitsma woooooo???

270. DizzleChizzle on July 12th, 2007 9:36 pm

Reitsma’s still a Mariner?

271. TRW on July 12th, 2007 9:36 pm

I remember evine being hilarious way back in the day. I’d like to see him call some games with Dave, Neihaus always cracked up when he was in the booth. Remember Levine’s law? “A leadoff walk always comes around to score. Except when it doesn’t.” Granted I was about 10 at the time, but that was gold!

272. TRW on July 12th, 2007 9:37 pm

*Levine

sorry

273. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:38 pm

Fact check: Diamond, not triangle…

274. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 9:38 pm

270, he just came off the DL, and they DFA’d Davis.

275. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 9:39 pm

it’s just a four sided triange :P

276. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:40 pm

I wonder if JJ’s mad at Leyland for pulling him in the ASG even Roberts blew the final out?

277. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:40 pm

275- Glad someone picked up on that. I don’t want to be the “special” poster.

278. JR Ewing on July 12th, 2007 9:42 pm

i thought the “no tag” signal by an umpire was “nothing”, no motion whatsoever.

279. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:44 pm

Maybe the ump heard Bob Eucker shouting “He missed the tag!”?

280. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:45 pm

Sexson, Guillen, one of those guys.

281. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 9:46 pm

I can see how you’d confused Guillen and Sexson… uhg.

282. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:46 pm

I wish Ken was paired up with Jay Buhner. That would be most amusing.

283. Tek Jansen on July 12th, 2007 9:46 pm

Does Detroit have any fat guys that Ellison can shove around?

284. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:46 pm

So how much money will you guys give me when Ellison gets thrown out by Pudge’s replacement?

285. DKCecil on July 12th, 2007 9:47 pm

Placido Polanco has a really fat head, does that work?

286. Tek Jansen on July 12th, 2007 9:48 pm

It’s not quite the same.

287. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 9:48 pm

He just called Weaver a stoner!

288. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 9:48 pm

Who is the damn announcer? He’s freaking horrible. His voice makes me want to stab my ear drums with my severed toes.

289. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:48 pm

The guy from “Fast Times At Ridgemont High” will be pitching on Sunday?

Good, because he’d be better than Weaver.

290. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:48 pm

Polanco’s head disturbs me.

And “Battle of the Titans” is not what I’m thinking when I hear Verlander vs Weaver.

291. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:49 pm

Did u just start watching or just notice it 288?

292. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:49 pm

286… I hear Dave Sims will be returning shortly.

293. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 9:49 pm

It seems like Valle just doesn’t know what to say in response to Ken’s bizarre comments. So he says nothing. But he thinks, “Jeez, I wish Rick was here.”

294. DAMellen on July 12th, 2007 9:49 pm

#287
    What? Who?

295. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 9:50 pm

I’ve been watching the game muted.

296. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:50 pm

290 – More like the battle of David vs. Goliath

297. David* on July 12th, 2007 9:50 pm

I bet Carlos Guillen can’t wait to get back to Pioneer Square tonight

298. Tek Jansen on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

I do like reading Levine when he writes on Huffingtonpost.

And considering the fact that he didn’t know he would be announcing until sometime today, I will give him a pass.

299. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

294 — Levine said Jeff Weaver looked just like Jeff Spicoli, the noted stoner.

300. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

Beltre with a great jump? I guess… he does tend to jump at inside pitches.

301. DKCecil on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

This guy hasn’t gotten a player right all game

302. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

Damn, I wanted to predict something right!

303. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

My god, this is worse than when the kid’s in the booth.

Ellison’s the runner, you moron!

304. robbbbbb on July 12th, 2007 9:51 pm

I think Levine might be better off calling the teams from Abbott and Costello’s famous skit. “Who?” “Exactly.”

305. Paul B on July 12th, 2007 9:52 pm

Ah, quit complaining about Levine. He’s funny. Yes, he doesn’t have a typical voice you’d hear doing something like, say, announcing new contestents on a game show. But it’s only for a couple of games, and things could certainly be worse.

306. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:52 pm

I guess the Tigers don’t want to try and tag Beltre anymore. He is sneaky fast.

307. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:52 pm

297… and driving on 520.

308. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 9:52 pm

Polanco grimaces worse than the old cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

309. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:53 pm

Someone deserves a Rally Beer.

310. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:53 pm

Guillen’s missing his binging buddy in Garcia though…The good old days, when Freddy was obviously recovering from the night before and was pouring with sweat before he even threw a pitch in the not so warm weather of Seattle.

311. joser on July 12th, 2007 9:53 pm

How much will you give us now that he wasn’t. On a pitch-out.

Glad someone picked up on that. I don’t want to be the “special” poster.

Too late. But it’s ok. We’re all special. Each in our own way. Like snowflakes. Very, very dull snowflakes. Well, that’s me anyway.

312. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 9:54 pm

296. I thought about David vs. Goliath, but that would mean our guy is the good guy. I want Weaver to win with an irrational passion, but something tells me he doesn’t have God on his side; I say he’s made a deal with the Devil.

313. Tek Jansen on July 12th, 2007 9:54 pm

You need to order those Rally Beers prior to the bottom of the 7th.

314. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 9:55 pm

#305 – I think we need Rod Roddy announcing the Mariners

“Willie Bloomquist COME ON DOWN!!!!”

315. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 9:55 pm

312… how about Bruce Campbell versus his hand?

316. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 9:56 pm

Need a soccer announcer for baseball. Pitcher gets the sign…shakes it…shakes it…SHAKES IT…SHAKES IT….throws to first base.

317. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 9:57 pm

I have my doubts about Putz after the all-star game :( His confidence is probably crap!

318. SequimRealEstate on July 12th, 2007 9:57 pm

I am going to the game on Friday with the best tickets I will have all year. A few rows from the home team dug out. So I want Weaver to win. Yes! Thank you Brown from the Sequim Gazette for the tickets. Yes!

319. JMB on July 12th, 2007 9:57 pm

“That’s a tough play for a catcher.”

“I don’t think so.”

Hilarious!

320. huhwhat on July 12th, 2007 9:57 pm

Yuni…

321. DKCecil on July 12th, 2007 9:58 pm

Yeah 317, an exhibition game will kill the confidence he had built up all this season. Just like what happened to Gagne a couple of years ago.

322. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 9:58 pm

Whoever that’s at the game…I see you….

323. fishiam on July 12th, 2007 10:00 pm

Levine: Here comes “Pootz”, where I believe the correct pronunciation is “Putz” with an “uh” in the middle. Anyway, I’m late to the blog this evening but I have hugely positive memories of Levine when he was here – I believe it was during the time when Rizzs was auditioning to replace ERNIE HARWELL. Gawd, the very thought used to regularly make me throw up in my mouth (I grew up in Detroit in the 60s/70s). Levine was a very funny guy who wasn’t perfect but said things you remembered the next day. Those of you whining about him this evening … take a deep breath and look forward to him tomorrow.

324. SebPruiti on July 12th, 2007 10:00 pm

Thank god we keep Granderson off the bases.

325. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 10:01 pm

Joe Bag: Kindly do not jinx Newly Good Weaver with your rude jabs!

326. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 10:01 pm

298: Posted by Levine Monday July 9:

“And then tomorrow I fly up to Seattle to announce for the Mariners Thursday and Friday nights. (New posts will continue. I understand they have the internet in Seattle.)”

Sims ill? Yeah, right.

327. bakomariner on July 12th, 2007 10:01 pm

not even jones gets that…

328. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 10:02 pm

crap crap crap

329. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 10:03 pm

Sheff scares me.

330. Lauren, token chick on July 12th, 2007 10:03 pm

I have to confess that I’m a bit nervous here. Sheffield and Ordonez. Aigh.

331. DizzleChizzle on July 12th, 2007 10:03 pm

Shef hasn’t struck out since June 25th. Think he’s due one?

332. MarinerDan on July 12th, 2007 10:03 pm

JJ be the man!

333. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 10:03 pm

I have a feeling Levine is going to bust out “spin-o-rama” if Putz keeps doing the spin move.

334. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 10:04 pm

315. Sadly, I don’t get any Bruce Campbell references. I needed to be told he was the fat jerk in the new Old Spice ads.

I don’t know if I can survive another batter in this puddle of sweat.

And why is Levine obsessed with aging? “There’s Leyland, growing old.”

335. DizzleChizzle on July 12th, 2007 10:04 pm

correction June 24th

336. pumpkinhead on July 12th, 2007 10:04 pm

what’s wrong with walking him?

337. JR Ewing on July 12th, 2007 10:04 pm

wasn’t levine in seattle to replaced neihaus, meaning he was in town to help on the radio side. sims’ illness prevented him from calling tv, so someone had to do it.

338. fishiam on July 12th, 2007 10:05 pm

Remember Putz vs. Bonds last year? Same thing, only a hell of a lot more relevant and important.

339. joser on July 12th, 2007 10:07 pm

JJ’s performance in the ASG was just a stratagem to lull Leyland and the Tigers into underestimating him.

340. ndrfx on July 12th, 2007 10:07 pm

I knew he could do it, I was just saying that stuff to get a rise out of you guys! Yah!

341. LH sock puppet on July 12th, 2007 10:08 pm

And the Mighty Maglie had struck out.

342. apunetid on July 12th, 2007 10:13 pm

M’s win!

343. carlls007 on July 12th, 2007 10:15 pm

Yeah, M’s win, A’s lose, Angel’s not playin – a good day to be a Mariners fan

344. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 10:16 pm

What a great pitch. Magglio looked particularly foolish going after it, since Joh had nearly stood all the way up to take it.

345. AuburnM on July 12th, 2007 10:17 pm

Good Felix
    Great bullpen
    Just enough offense

I love this team

346. bakomariner on July 12th, 2007 10:18 pm

gained ground…ichiro is signing…awwww…the good life…

347. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 10:20 pm

337 – so even if he switched from radio to TV, he would have been prepped for play by play either way.

348. earinc on July 12th, 2007 10:23 pm

According to coolstandings, the A’s have about as much a chance of making the postseason as Boston has of missing it (4-5%). And that was before tonight. Meanwhile, the Ms are probably over 40% after tonight. And JJ stayed right on track. Pinch me!

349. msb on July 12th, 2007 10:27 pm

#337– yup. which is why he was thrust into doing play by play, when they asked him to come back to do color.

#334–

jerk?? ahem.

me, I’ve sure been enjoying watching Brisco County again.

350. planB on July 12th, 2007 10:27 pm

Yeah. What struck me about that was that immediately after throwing the ball, Pudge was pointing at Betancourt’s foot over the plate. One of a couple good breaks for the Ms… it sort of seems like Guillen tagged Beltre on the third (or so) swipe (which was before Sexson went home). Oh well, mark it down!

351. Chris on July 12th, 2007 10:29 pm

Favorite Levine quote of the night from his radio broadcast “Cleveland is breathing down Detroit’s throat.” Quite an image he created with that one.

352. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 10:30 pm

349. I’m sure he’s a delight; I hear that’s his cult appeal.

In the Old Spice ad, he *plays* a fat jerk–or at least, that’s my interpretation of the ad. Frankly, I can’t figure out who’s the audience. It seems to be playing off some ridiculous idea that a cologne will make chicks love even some old dude singing off key…but that’s what the ad’s selling. I just don’t get it. (What did I just see, that we lose our joke comprehension as we age?)

353. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 10:32 pm

350 – the 3rd base camera showed clearly that Guillen missed ALL the tags.

354. davepaisley on July 12th, 2007 10:33 pm

349

msb, if he was supposed to replace Niehaus, then he would have been doing pbp anyway, no?

355. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 10:34 pm

352… Bruce is mugging it up for the camera.

If you haven’t, go forth and rent “Bubba Hotep.” Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK (“they dyed me!”) Classic film.

356. planB on July 12th, 2007 10:35 pm

Ergh, that’s not a good introduction to Bruce Campbell. Army of Darkness!

357. 88fingerslukee on July 12th, 2007 10:37 pm

353 – I don’t know about that. The third tag was not visible from that point of view. It was being mad running down the line from 2nd to 3rd. There is no way that angle could definitively tell if he tagged him or not. Froemming had the best angle.

Was Yuni really interfering? His swing took him across the box. Is that illegal?

358. planB on July 12th, 2007 10:37 pm

353: Ah, okay. Wonder why they kept showing the other angle.

359. Joe Bag o' Doughnuts on July 12th, 2007 10:38 pm

356… Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

360. juneau_fan on July 12th, 2007 10:51 pm

See? The dude’s a cult.

Uh, with all this talking about tagging and who did what…they can’t take the win away, can they?

361. gwangung on July 12th, 2007 10:59 pm

Yeah. Certainly impeded Pudge.

But it wasn’t as clearcut as other interference calls. Wouldn’t have been surprised if interference was called.

362. shortbus on July 12th, 2007 11:25 pm

Clearly Guillen tagged Beltre and the ump made a lousy call. He made up for it by calling Beltre out on the appeal. The ump knew Beltre tagged second or he wouldn’t have called him safe. A really lucky call for the M’s.

I don’t know about Betancourt’s interference…doesn’t it have to be intentional? He was swinging for an outstide pitch on the hit-and-run and his momentum carried him over the plate.

363. Mr. Egaas on July 12th, 2007 11:55 pm

Lucked into another win. I’ll take it!

Good performance by Felix and the Pen though, absolutely.

364. ndrfx on July 13th, 2007 12:16 am

Well, even if Beltre was out it the game still would have been tied and we’d have gone extra innings. So we only lucked out…uh, 50%? Haha.

365. Lauren, token chick on July 13th, 2007 12:16 am

Ha! Has anyone looked at JJ’s page on ESPN.com lately?

He used to pitch for us, but was acquired by the American League recently.

366. DizzleChizzle on July 13th, 2007 12:49 am

Maybe some can help me visualize it, but not having watched the game myself and relying only on the internet did Felix really pitch that good of a game? Seems to me that the Tigers were hitting him pretty well tonight and Felix was just lucky to get out of some of those innings.

367. planB on July 13th, 2007 1:36 am

He was okay. He got into trouble early, but I wouldn’t say he was “just lucky”… he pitched himself out of some tough spots.

368. naviomelo on July 13th, 2007 3:19 am

I thought he was pretty good. He had all his velocity back today, I saw him hit 100 on several occasions. Detroit got a number of hits that couldn’t entirely be attributed to hitter skill. I thought he really bore down on them after he got into that jam in the 4th.

369. zzyzx on July 13th, 2007 6:29 am

I was at a concert last night and I kept trying to get updates on the game from my phone. It was stuck on that 2-2 count for over 10 minutes. That was frustrating, but when I got home it made sense.

370. msb on July 13th, 2007 6:30 am

#362– according to Valle, it doesn’t have to be intentional to be be catcher’s interference.

371. sodomojojojo on July 13th, 2007 8:30 am

Does anyone besides me want to hear Levine say “InconCEIVable” or “…never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha”?

372. 88fingerslukee on July 13th, 2007 8:47 am

Are you talking the Princess Bride?!? Brilliant!!

373. sodomojojojo on July 13th, 2007 9:21 am

I am, thank you. He just has the slightly annoying lispy thing going on.

And IMHO the second “Evil Dead” movie is the one Bruce Campbell to start with, followed by the Briscoe County series and then Bubba Hotep as dessert.

374. msb on July 13th, 2007 9:37 am

#373– and there are some fine moments to be found, if one cherry-picks the Herc and Xena series. I can also happily recommend his book, “If chins could kill: confessions of a B movie actor”

375. joser on July 13th, 2007 12:06 pm

But even though Betancourt was out of the box, over the plate, he ducked to give Pudge a clearer throw. Which isn’t something he has to do when he’s in the box; when he’s out over the plate like he was, purely unintentionally because he was off balance, it’s the least — and the most — he can do. If he hadn’t done that, I think Pudge would’ve had a much better case (and in fact wouldn’t have been able to get the throw off at all). I think the ump was cognizant of all of those factors — that Betancourt wasn’t intentionally interfering, and was trying to stay out of the way — and so declined calling interference. I think that’s reasonable. If Betancourt hadn’t ducked, and the ump called an out on interference, I would have been ok with that too. It’s understandable Pudge got upset, but going completely ballistic was absurd. He needs to remember his noodle arm wasn’t going to throw out the runner at 2nd even under the best of circumstances.

As for Beltre — we Tivo’d the replays and watched them carefully. Beltre obviously grabbed second base: no doubt there. And Guillen definitely missed him on the initial tag. Guillen also missed him on the second tag, as Beltre let go of the bag and started to scramble. But on the third try he tagged him on the arm as he was running to third. There are three camera angles in the replays, and one of them shows this pretty clearly; you can also see Guillen stop chasing Beltre at that point because he knows he got him. But Sexson broke for home while that was going on, and he crossed the plate before that third tag attempt was successful. So Beltre was out on the play, and the run did score. In other words, in spite of a blown call and a bogus make-up call, they got the situation right in the end. It’s not often you see umps make two bad calls on the same play and end up with everything the way it’s supposed to be, but that’s what happened.

I’m sure Detroit is pissed, and they probably don’t see it that way, but it looks to me that in spite of everything the game was decided by the play on the field, and not the umps. Of course, Pudge could’ve not got himself thrown out and given his team another chance to win at the plate; then again, had he been behind the plate on the Beltre play his inevitably weak throw to 2nd might’ve given Beltre more time to overslide 2nd and get safely all the way to 3rd, extending the rally.

376. joser on July 13th, 2007 12:13 pm

Heck, even Beltre thinks that’s what happened

Second base umpire Bruce Froemming signaled safe twice as shortstop Carlos Guillen missed tags before and after Beltre slid thru the bag. He tried to go back to second and Guillen missed again.

Or did he?

“He might have tagged me,” Beltre said, smiling.

I do like giving this play the moniker “The Great Escape.” It may not rank up there with The Catch and The Throw, but take note: if the M’s end up taking the Wild Card by one game from Detroit, this is that game.

377. joser on July 13th, 2007 12:14 pm

Also, I like this:

“You just hope you make good pitches … and that Sheffield doesn’t take your head off,” Putz said.

378. KenLevine on July 15th, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks to all of you who commented on my fill-on stint broadcasting for the M’s this week. Even the negative comments.

It was a crazy situation, especially being thrown onto the telecast and then that crazy play, but I had a great time, I love the Mariners, and although I was a little rusty and my voice is my voice, I think I conveyed the joy I felt being there and covering the M’s. And I think you could follow what was going on.

In any event, this is a terrific blog. And I learn more about the team from you guys than from anywhere else.

If anyone is interested, I have a blog as well. It’s more humor oriented. But for those who do enjoy my act, I invite you to check it out. Today I have posted my travelogue on my Seattle trip.

Thanks again.