Game 123, Mariners at Twins

Dave · August 21, 2007 at 3:56 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Washburn vs Baker, 5:10 pm.

I’m throwing the game thread up before the line-up gets announced so that I don’t have any chance to react on the off chance that Kenji’s playing center field and hitting leadoff today or something. Because, for this thread, I want to put down my analyst hat for a second.

The Mariners are hosting something called Lolla-Blue-Za on Monday – the M’s are attempting to leverage the first playoff run we’ve seen in years into some city wide fan excitement, and are asking everyone to wear blue to to the Mariners-Angels series next Monday-Wednesday.

The name is ridiculously corny, but that doesn’t matter – I’m on board. The M’s are winning, there’s a pennant race in Seattle, and some of the best memories of my life were made at the Kingdome during the summer months of 1995. There’s something legitimately exciting about being at the ballpark in a game that means something, cheering on every two strike pitch, and demanding curtain calls from the players who hit monumental home runs.

So, if you’re going to the M’s-Angels series next week, wear blue and yell a lot. It’s been a long time since games at Safeco mattered as much as those three games will. We can talk about sustainability of performances all day long, but in the end, we all just want the team to win. So go nuts next week rooting for a sweep.

Comments

330 Responses to “Game 123, Mariners at Twins”

1. dgarnett on August 21st, 2007 4:00 pm

And to rain on dave’s parade… standard lineup :(

Ichiro!
    vidro
    guillen
    ibanez
    beltre
    sexson
    jo
    lopez
    yuni

2. batura on August 21st, 2007 4:03 pm

I heard about this on KJR this morning and at first I definitely had the typical smart-fan reaction, but then I thought about it and decided that this town needs years like this and stupid fan days like next Monday. I will be strutting my authentic home-alternate “King Felix” jersey with pride because I haven’t had a team to look up to in too long. I am also going to be at all three games and have a fairly loud voice, so I plan on fully doing my part.

3. lailaihei on August 21st, 2007 4:04 pm

I’ve got tickets to the last game in the series, I’ll make sure to wear massive blue and yell at everything.

4. ConorGlassey on August 21st, 2007 4:12 pm

Wow – that name is horrible. Plus, it’s pathetic that they have to ask. People should *want* to wear M’s clothing/colors to the games – but, instead, Safeco Field is so quiet/casual. People shouldn’t turn around and look at you like you’re crazy if you cheer w/o a prompt from the scoreboard. So annoying…

5. Mike Honcho on August 21st, 2007 4:13 pm

I picked a great week to see my only Mariners games of the year. I’ll be there for all three, baby!!!

6. batura on August 21st, 2007 4:14 pm

Well, the point is for people to wear their Mariners gear all over Seattle, not just to the game.

7. Sec 108 on August 21st, 2007 4:14 pm

I’ll be there Monday and Wednesday and will be hoarse by Thursday.

8. Mike Honcho on August 21st, 2007 4:16 pm

And by the way – glad to see that Mac is keeping his word and giving the guys time off during this streak of 44 games in 45 days. Good on ya’ Mac!!

At this rate, Jones and Broussard are going to get A LOT of ABs…

9. terry on August 21st, 2007 4:17 pm

I’m absolutely on board with the Ms latest promotion. In fact I’ve been advocating their participation in a September playoff race for several years now.

10. Jeff Nye on August 21st, 2007 4:19 pm

None of us would devote time and energy to being a part of this community if we didn’t want the team to win.

I’ll have to check the closet to see how much blue I have, though!

Go M’s!

11. fetish on August 21st, 2007 4:23 pm

Oh, i get it. Lolla-Buh-Loo-Za.

12. fetish on August 21st, 2007 4:23 pm

Where’s Bumberbluesht?

13. Tropics iRE on August 21st, 2007 4:23 pm

i just bought 4 tixx for the wednesday day game on the 29th (3rd of 3 angels games) I guess i will have to get some blue body paint or something ;)

-Ti

14. mitmouse20 on August 21st, 2007 4:26 pm

It’s always good to see a promotion trying to build team unity. However, I gotta question the color. Why not white instead? The main point of everybody wearing the same color is so that it’ll stick out when you look in the stands. Blue simply won’t do that really because of the dark greens that are throughout the stadium. White on the other hand would create nice contrast to the color of the stands. Oh well, I guess I really can’t complain as long as the promotion brings some extra excitement to the average M’s fan…

15. bigdad03 on August 21st, 2007 4:26 pm

I love the name because it IS corny. I guess this thread is the one I’ve been waiting to say publicly what I’ve been saying privately since June.

I think that THIS team is one of the top two teams we’ve ever had in Seattle and it may be the BEST team we’ve ever had. Yes, even better than the 116 win team.

Before anyone goes off on me, step back and really look at the 95 team and the 116 win team and compare them to this team. This year’s team has the best bullpen we’ve ever had in Seattle.

Our starting pitching is as good as either of those other two teams and is getting better as the race heats up.

Our offense is spread throughout the entire lineup and doesn’t depend upon two or three guys (Martinez, Griffey, Buhner, for example).

Defensively this team is solid. If they continue to play inspired baseball like they did last night…whoa, look out.

Bottom line for me is this, if they make it to the playoffs they’ll have earned it. Most of our remaining games, at least the ones over the next three weeks, are on the road. To date we’ve been a .500 team on the road, so if the M’s expect to make the post season they’ll have to become ROAD WARRIORS from here on out.

Personally I think they can do it.

I watched the game between the Angels and Yanks last night (one of the most exciting games I’ve seen in a while) and we have our work cut out for us, make no mistake about it. Both those teams are really, really good.

This is going to be a FUN six weeks!! Go M’s!!!

16. JI on August 21st, 2007 4:28 pm

I thought our colors were navy…

17. Tropics iRE on August 21st, 2007 4:34 pm

I just had an AWSOME Flashback!!

Does anyone remember how when the 116 win year we went to the playoffs … the Tukwilla (Southcenter Mall) team store had people running accross the parking lot to get in line to buy tickets for playoff games??

that was such a rush jumping over moving cars and fallen people… only to get near the front of the line and have a massive wave of people crashing down on me almost pushing me through the department store window… i got quite the headache from that window, but it was worh it… i ended up (with some help from another fleet footed friend) going to all the playoff games that post season….

i hope to do it all over again :)

-Ti

18. Tek Jansen on August 21st, 2007 4:35 pm

What about those teal uniforms from the mid-90s? Do those count?

19. MarinersPlayoffs on August 21st, 2007 4:35 pm

So they finally talked about the Mariner’s on ESPN. Basically saying they have a good shot at making the playoffs and how they cant believe we are still winning. They still think we wont do it though because of the road trip coming up. Personally I love it how ESPN doesn’t believe in are Mariners.

20. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 4:43 pm

Our Mariners are mariners.

21. fetish on August 21st, 2007 4:45 pm

Woah. you’re about to get jumped on #14

Comparison:

F Garcia (18-6, 138 ERA+) v F Hernandez (107) Edge: Garcia
    J Moyer (123) v J Washburn (102) Edge: Moyer
    A Sele (117) v M Batista (102) Edge: Sele
    P Abbott (99) v J Weaver (76) Edge: Abbott
    J Halama + J Piniero v H Ramirez + C Seung Baek + R Feierabend (70?) Edge: Halama/Piniero

Every starter in every slot was better than what we have now.

Hitters

D Wilson (91 OPS+) v Johjima (106) Edge: Johjima
    Olerud (137) v Sexson (doesn’t matter) Edge: Olerud
    Boone (154) v Lopez (77 – YIKES! That’s worse than Sexson) Edge: Boone
    Bell (93) v Beltre (116) Edge: Beltre
    C Guillen (88) v Betancourt (101) Edge: Betancourt
    A Martin + S Javier (~100) v Ibanez (117) Edge: Ibanez
    M Cameron (124) v I Suzuki (125) Edge: Even
    Ichiro (127) v J Guillen (119) Edge: Ichiro

The 2001 team had an OPS+ of 119, compared to 2007′s 107. It seems pretty clear that 2001 hit and pitched better then than now.

Let’s not forget that Ichiro + Mike Cameron is a better outfield than whatever we throw out know, even including Adam Jones. Also remember that Boone and Olerud were regarded as excellent defenders, so they probably had a fielding edge as well.

Myth Busted.

22. MarinersPlayoffs on August 21st, 2007 4:45 pm

sorry

23. Tek Jansen on August 21st, 2007 4:50 pm

#19 — There is not an ESPN contributor who has actually watched a Mariners game this year. In fact, most national writers haven’t watched a single Mariners game. A baseball writer from USA Today was on XM earlier, and when speaking about the strength of the M’s bullpen, struggled to come up with the names of Putz and Morrow. Solid journalism.

24. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 4:51 pm

Uhhhh…no. Starting rotations:

The 95 Mariners had Randy at 18-2. That Randy and 4 HoRams would be a better rotation than we’ve got this year (OK, maybe not, but still…)

The 2001 Mariners rotation was:
    Moyer (20-6, 3.43)
    Garcia (18-6, 3.05)
    Sele (15-5, 3.60)
    Abbott (17-4, 4.25)
    Halama (10-7, 4.73)/Pineiro (6-2, 2.03)

Love your optimism. But you can’t tell me this year’s rotation is anywhere near as good as that. No how, no way.

25. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 4:53 pm

Sorry fetish — you beat me to it and did it better.

26. JI on August 21st, 2007 4:57 pm

The 2001 rotation was greatly aided by the defense behind them, not so much with this years staff. Still, 01SP > 07SP.

27. hafner on August 21st, 2007 4:58 pm

In #21, fetish, you only compared eight hitters – the ninth would have really bolstered your already-strong argument.

DH – Jose Vidro (110 OPS+) vs. Edgar Martinez (161 OPS+)

That’s a pretty resounding win for the 2001 team.

28. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 5:00 pm

How soon Edgar is forgotten.

29. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 5:02 pm

McLaren: “Tonight was a case when we’re playing well, so [I] ran the same group out there,” he said. “But some of my thoughts coming into the series was with the [artificial] turf here, a day game here on Wednesday and the heat in Texas; put it all in a ball of wax and we’re going to have to mix some guys in there.

“You hate to break up winning combinations, but again, you hate to put it to a point where even though they are hot, they might not have the bat speed. And we have to keep our bench players sharp. There are a lot of things we are thinking about.”

Put it all in a ball of wax indeed.

30. Tropics iRE on August 21st, 2007 5:02 pm

so if you take the # of games already won this year and add them to the # of games left this year… you get 109… and i am pretty shure that the mariners will not win out the rest of the season.

that alone tells me that the 2001 team was maybe not better, but the had more… here it comes… CHEMISTRY!

-T1

oh yeah… and they (as a team) were on a unsustainable streak ;)

31. Adam S on August 21st, 2007 5:03 pm

Basically saying (the Mariners) have a good shot at making the playoffs and how they cant believe we are still winning. They still think we wont do it though because of the road trip coming up. Personally I love it how ESPN doesn’t believe in (our) Mariners.
    Baseball Prospectus says the Mariners have ~40% chance to make the playoffs and the Angels are a 4:1 favorite to win the division. I happen to agree with them and ESPN — I hope this team wins but with the gaping holes in the rotation, lineup and defense and management I expect they win between 18 and 20 games the rest of the season and that’s not enough. At the same time, I’m keeping the calendar clear in October.

Does that make us non-believers? Perhaps, but I choose to call it realism. (Going to look for a blue shirt now…)

32. Evan on August 21st, 2007 5:04 pm

Edgar and Boone alone make 2001 the better team, even ignoring pitching.

33. wallywwu on August 21st, 2007 5:07 pm

Yeah, I still think Boone should have been the MVP over Ichiro in 2001, he just had an unbelivable offensive season, not to mention gold glove caliber ‘D’

34. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 5:12 pm

I heard Boone worked really hard that offseason to get stronger.

35. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 5:15 pm

The Twins announcers hoping to get drilled…

36. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 5:15 pm

So…why can’t I figure out what’s going on with the Twin’s logo? Are they moving to Chicago?

37. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:18 pm

Holy Vidro!

38. lailaihei on August 21st, 2007 5:18 pm

Vidro again.

39. Joof on August 21st, 2007 5:18 pm

36: TC for Twin Cities.

40. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 5:18 pm

Turbo Power, he got a hold of that one!

41. krb on August 21st, 2007 5:18 pm

I’ll be at the game on Wed. wearing blue and screaming.

42. Mike Honcho on August 21st, 2007 5:21 pm

Was Vidro’s hit a LD?

43. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 5:21 pm

39 Thanks. “Twin Cities”! I feel foolish for not figuring that one out.

44. C. Cheetah on August 21st, 2007 5:22 pm

Is Ichiro hurt?
    He has really been slumping the last week or so, and he is really has had a tough time squaring up any of the Twins pitchers….

45. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:22 pm

#42

Not it was a seeing eye grounder up the middle that would only be a hit on astroturf.

46. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:31 pm

SWUNG ON AND BELTRED!!!

47. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 5:31 pm

I’m serious, trade stadiums with the Twins for September. We’d win the west easily.

48. krb on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

FUNK BLAST!

49. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

Beltre! I bet Red is going crazy!

50. SpokaneMsFan on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

Best third baseman in baseball? (counting D of course)

51. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

Like I said…

52. Lauren, token chick on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

Holy smokes!

Yippee!

53. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 5:32 pm

I love me some Beltre

54. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 5:33 pm

I would gather that this does not bode well for the Twins starter.

55. rango6 on August 21st, 2007 5:33 pm

back to back HR. This is fun to watch

56. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 5:33 pm

Sexson! I am confused, is he hot now too?

Back to Back Funkiness!

57. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 5:35 pm

44 He did have a pretty good night a few games ago

58. krb on August 21st, 2007 5:36 pm

Haha nice dive.

59. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 5:36 pm

Worse. Slide. Ever.

Nice Double J-Lo.

60. Joof on August 21st, 2007 5:36 pm

What a painful looking slide by Lopez. >_>

61. Leroy on August 21st, 2007 5:36 pm

That slide was hilarious

62. Dave on August 21st, 2007 5:37 pm

That was the best moment of the season.

63. Lauren, token chick on August 21st, 2007 5:41 pm

Did he end up with the corner in his groin? I missed the details.

Wow, I can’t believe Ichiro’s hitting .338 in August. It seems like he hasn’t been hitting in eons.

64. argh on August 21st, 2007 5:43 pm

Vidro would have brought in that run.

65. msb on August 21st, 2007 5:44 pm

any sense of what hung Jose up on the ground en route to the bag? his pulchritude?

People should *want* to wear M’s clothing/colors to the games

see, when I first heard it, I took it as wear your blue Mariner gear (vs the whites)

66. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 5:45 pm

Just like he did last night!

67. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:46 pm

#63

Ichiro is being overshadowed by Vidro, Ibanez, and Sexson. You almost don’t even notice the little guy anymore. :)

68. brian_sun on August 21st, 2007 5:47 pm

Washburn looks really good. Let’s tag on some runs.

69. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 5:49 pm

Has any team ever had 9 players with 50+ home runs each? That’s one team with 450 home runs, at least.

70. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:49 pm

I don’t even worry about Washburn anymore until Mac leaves him in too long in the 7th inning.

71. krb on August 21st, 2007 5:51 pm

Now that was a good slide.

72. Norm Charlton Fan Club on August 21st, 2007 5:51 pm

I love how Guillen tries to crush the guy at 2nd everytime there’s a possible DP

73. Rumpelstiltskin on August 21st, 2007 5:52 pm

Will the Comcast housemates be wearing blue on their rock tour in Canada?

74. Dave on August 21st, 2007 5:53 pm

Guillen made no effort to go for the bag – that’s interference and not legal. He’s got to at least swipe the bag with his hand.

75. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 5:54 pm

I am starting to think Vidro can hit .400 for the rest of the season.

76. VaughnStreet on August 21st, 2007 5:55 pm

(Expletive) — Mariners set the MLB team home run record with 264 in 1997.

77. msb on August 21st, 2007 5:55 pm

the former third baseman thought it was a clean slide, I think because he could reach the bag if he’d wanted to :)

78. argh on August 21st, 2007 5:56 pm

Kind of like the guy ‘touching’ second for the force out.

79. terry on August 21st, 2007 5:56 pm

Vidro’s trade value will never be higher….hint, hint….

80. argh on August 21st, 2007 5:58 pm

Vidro’s trade value will never be higher

Sure, but who will we get to carry Ichiro then?

81. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:01 pm

“It’s Lutheran Night here”

Now that cracked me up — or could, possibly, I have misheard? Talk about Garrison Keillor country: covered dish basball games.

82. loki on August 21st, 2007 6:02 pm

If we traded Vidro, who would do that endearing knuckle-handshake-hopping thing with Putz after each win/save?

83. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:03 pm

No question about it: Vidro’s carrying a heavy load for this team.

84. krb on August 21st, 2007 6:04 pm

Oh a replay of that slide. Nice.

85. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:04 pm

“The Romanian judge gave him a 2.4″

Now that was funny.

86. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 6:07 pm

Sims is really growing on me. That Romanian judge crack was awesome. Nearly as good as Valle’s “Oops, sniper got him…”

87. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:12 pm

Alexi Castilla just broke up a no hitter

88. Ralph Malph on August 21st, 2007 6:16 pm

Thank you Mr. Smartypants.

89. krb on August 21st, 2007 6:17 pm

Strike em out, throw em out!

90. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:18 pm

WOOO!! Love me some Mariners baseball!

91. Bernoulli on August 21st, 2007 6:18 pm

I don’t know for sure because I’m at at work, but on Gamecast it really looks like the umpire is squeezing out both pitchers.

92. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 6:18 pm

Tsk, tsk, 3rd out at 3rd base.

93. Teej on August 21st, 2007 6:18 pm

So badass. Dumb move by the Twins trying to take third with two outs.

94. Teej on August 21st, 2007 6:19 pm

I mean one out. But then it was two. Whatever, you know what I mean.

95. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:21 pm

Nice bag shot by Guillen.

96. vern on August 21st, 2007 6:22 pm

I’m falling in love with Guillen. He hits, he wears the high socks, and he’s homicidally crazy.

97. johnb on August 21st, 2007 6:22 pm

Guillen is an animal.

98. carcinogen on August 21st, 2007 6:23 pm

that sucked a little…

99. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 6:24 pm

Other than Raul’s (non-RBI) single the M’s are o-fer with RISP. Need more than 2 runs guys!

100. terry on August 21st, 2007 6:24 pm

Why wasn’t Guillen ruled safe? It’s clearly illegal to impede a runner’s path to a base…

101. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:25 pm

#96

There is no getting around it. Guillen is a badass.

102. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:25 pm

so amid the confusion of who to root for in the ny/la series, who are we rooting for in the det/cle series? they’re only a half game apart in the central, who would you rather we were competing with for the Wild Card? Also, Do we want Boston to keep winning to keep their lead over the Yankees?

Personally, I’d rather see us win the division than the wild card. I really hate Anaheim and I’d like to see the Yankees beat them in this series and then have Boston take care of business in future series’ vs. NY. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy but if they can help us win the division I’m going to root for them, if only for these next two games.

103. Swungonandbelted on August 21st, 2007 6:26 pm

nice AB Sexson

104. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:26 pm

woo time for funk slam!

105. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:26 pm

ouch

106. krb on August 21st, 2007 6:27 pm

A Kenji DP.. that’s new.

107. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:27 pm

#102

I just want to get into the playoffs one way or another.

108. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:27 pm

Johjima needs to cut that GIDP shit out now…

109. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:27 pm

If I get to pick, I want the Division.

110. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 6:28 pm

This looks like a game we lose by one or two runs due to terrible situational hitting.

111. Alex on August 21st, 2007 6:28 pm

I hate a DP on the first pitch with the bases loaded right after a guy walks. Can’t you just take the first pitch to see if the guy can throw a strike? Maybe he’ll throw it in the dirt.

112. PJudt on August 21st, 2007 6:29 pm

Please school me. Why would you swing at the first pitch when the guy before you just walked? This sounds like something they should teach in little league.

113. msb on August 21st, 2007 6:29 pm

may I just say argh.

the batter before you worked a walk, could you please take a pitch? please?

114. Kingfelix34 on August 21st, 2007 6:29 pm

absolutely terrible…..how do we fail to push that 3rd run across? Gotta get the job done.

115. Kingfelix34 on August 21st, 2007 6:30 pm

Kenji….3 groundouts to the left side tonight.

116. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:30 pm

My theory is McLaren is telling them to swing at the first pitch so the use less energy and the bench players can stay on the bench the rest of the season. Sounds like McLaren to me.

117. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:30 pm

#112

My boss told me the theory is the pitcher doesn’t want to walk the next guy after giving up a walk so they throw a pitch right over the plate but I am with you.

118. rango6 on August 21st, 2007 6:32 pm

Ms have 18 LOB so far this game. The score should’ve been 7-0.

119. msb on August 21st, 2007 6:33 pm

good to know all the umps are paying close attention like that.

120. MedicineHat on August 21st, 2007 6:34 pm

we all know he got hit, but he went around…that’s a strike!

121. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:34 pm

to someone who’s watching on TV, how does JW look? He seems to not have much control

122. MedicineHat on August 21st, 2007 6:34 pm

118: 18 LOB in 5 innings? Methinks that’s impossible!

123. PJudt on August 21st, 2007 6:35 pm

Even if he didn’t go around, don’t you have to make some attempt to get out of the way of the pitch? I don’t think a 3/4 swing is attempting to get out of the way.

124. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:36 pm

Washburn has looked pretty good to me.

125. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:37 pm

118 – Gameday tracks LOB as every time a hitter doesn’t drive in a run when there is a man on base. Traditionally LOB is runners left on at the end of the inning, and by that measure they’ve left 8 on. That’s still bad, but not as impossibly bad :)

126. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:37 pm

121- To me he has looked pretty good.

127. Kingfelix34 on August 21st, 2007 6:38 pm

Washburn is pitching solid thus far.

128. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:38 pm

Like I say the only time I worry about Washburn anymore is when he starts to run into trouble in the 7th inning and Mac waits too long before he brings in relief.

129. MedicineHat on August 21st, 2007 6:39 pm

123: that’s one of those things that is never implemented. I mean, technically, he moved his hips back at the last second. So he did make an attempt to get out of the way.

130. mr.smartypants on August 21st, 2007 6:39 pm

just can’t tell if he’s making good pitches or if the twins are just hacking and getting themselves out. He’s only thrown 43 strikes on 73 pitches, after all.

131. brian_sun on August 21st, 2007 6:40 pm

128: With a 2 run lead and we only used 1 guy last night out of the pen in Ho’s start, Mac shouldn’t leave Washburn in too long.

132. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:40 pm

Another first pitch swing. Of course Lopez has the discipline of a 4 year old with an ice cream cone.

133. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 6:41 pm

Ibanez: “I got it!!”

Betancourt: “Mine!”

(Ibanez does sommersault while Betancourt makes catch)

Ibanez: “That was totally my ball…I’m the outfielder!”

Betancourt: “sort of…”

Ibanez: “What?!”

Betancourt: …

Ibanez: “What did you say?”

Betancourt: “You yell better than you run that’s all I’m saying”

Ibanez “But I’m the veteran outfielder and I called you off. My ball!”

Betancourt: “My bad, next time I’ll let you throw the ball to second after the bloop single.”

Ibanez: *fumes*

134. terry on August 21st, 2007 6:42 pm

I wonder if Ichiro feels the POWWA….

135. FrayLo on August 21st, 2007 6:43 pm

did sims just say “a one hand job”?

136. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:43 pm

It’s not nice to mock the afflicted, particularly when they’re hitting home runs.

137. thowe1 on August 21st, 2007 6:43 pm

And anyone watching the MLB telecast – I present to you your average Minnesota Twins fan. DID YOU GET A LOAD OF THAT GUY !?!?!

Man, I am glad we have people like Dave on our side. Please, keep the rally fries, they are much better than being “circled”…. are you kidding me?

138. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

You can only hope to contain him.

139. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

This Vidro guy is a god. That’s all I’m sayin’.

140. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

Ha! If you can’t hit with RISP, hit doubles with runners on first!

141. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

Holy Vidro!!

142. terry on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

Ichiro is the MAN!!!!!!!!!!

143. brian_sun on August 21st, 2007 6:44 pm

Turbo!

144. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 6:45 pm

Turbo’s regression to the mean delayed yet another day.

145. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:45 pm

137- Its Lutheran night… not sure if that is an excuse though. Loved how them cut him off from talking.

146. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 6:47 pm

I wonder if the Presbyterians are pissed for being left out

147. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 6:48 pm

If it takes you 12 hits to get 3 runs, that is pretty bad. It is a lot like that game in Chicago against the Cubs that began one of the losing streaks. The M’s almost won despite Weaver giving up hard hit pitches all game because somehow these guys just weren’t scoring, and having more runs than hits for much of the game.

148. pygmalion on August 21st, 2007 6:49 pm

My post was a little Vague. The Cubs just weren’t scoring, whereas the M’s had more runs than hits.

149. JJD on August 21st, 2007 6:49 pm

I know this goes against this month’s theme of “don’t look at the M’s sucky guys’ stats because they are sucky”, but since Sexson got benched on the 4th and 5th he’s hit in 12 of 13 games at a .314/.352/.627-clip, up to the minute. *crossing fingers*

150. Sidi on August 21st, 2007 6:50 pm

Since on bobblehead nights you give out bobbleheads, and dollar beer nights you sell beer…does that mean Lutheran night involves thousands of crates full of fundamentalists piled up somewhere in the stadium?

151. thowe1 on August 21st, 2007 6:50 pm

HamNasty, tell me it didn’t look like it was the first time out of the cave (or off the commune) in about 20 years for that dude.

God, please take mercy on the knucklehead in the upper deck of the Metrodome, and if you have any time left over, could you toss a couple of hallelujahs to Johnny Mac and have him mix in AJ a little more?

152. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 6:50 pm

This does have the feel of a game where missed opportunities could come back to bite us.

153. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:52 pm

It says the Twins have 2 LOB, but they really had 2 runners get the last out on the base paths. So after the 3rd out of each inning they have had zero base runners. Are they really LOB or is it a game day flaw?

154. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 6:54 pm

You can hear the cheese clogging their throats when the fans talk.

155. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 6:58 pm

131, you were very much right on.

156. argh on August 21st, 2007 6:59 pm

The 7th inning appears to have snuck in a little early for Washburn.

157. _David_ on August 21st, 2007 6:59 pm

By what logic did McLaren conclude that bringing in Morrow with the bases loaded was a good idea? One of his really recent appearances was also entering the game with the bases loaded. Isn’t absolutely maximizing the effect of greatest, most obvious weakness of a pitcher something a manager, especially one with a deep bullpen, should try to avoid?

158. Lauren, token chick on August 21st, 2007 7:00 pm

Holy bejeezus. That was a narrow escape. We’re still going to win, though.

159. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:03 pm

I share Lauren’s sentiment. All the LOB and I knew the Twins were not going to get shut out, it still feels like a W is coming our way.

160. argh on August 21st, 2007 7:04 pm

One of these days we’re gonna have to play a team that can actually play baseball and we may be in for a rude awakening.

161. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:10 pm

Lopez, we need a RISP base hit! A good one cause Sexson runs like one of those trees in Lord of the Rings.

162. scottg02 on August 21st, 2007 7:10 pm

160- Like when we swept the Bosox or took two of three from the Angels earlier this year?

163. Oly Rainiers Fan on August 21st, 2007 7:11 pm

150: Outstanding comment. Simply, well, outstanding.

How much would a crateload of fundamentalists go for on eBay these days? Harder to store and care for than the bobbleheads, to be sure.

164. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 7:13 pm

Yay? Brandon Morrow?

165. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 7:14 pm

If McLaren understood situational substitution he’d have had Bloomy at second and Broussard at the plate there. Bloomy goes to 2b and Broussard to first.

166. TomC on August 21st, 2007 7:14 pm

OK. It’s the 7th inning and Washburn barely got out of the 6th with a lead. Time for Johnny Mac to call the bullpen before the Twinkies jump ahead.

167. Sidi on August 21st, 2007 7:15 pm

163: I think the shipping would kill the deal. Better to raise your own.

168. argh on August 21st, 2007 7:18 pm

Better to raise your own.

Pretty much grow wild around here.

169. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:19 pm

“Assuming you are a woman and will be one tomorrow …”

The Twins announcers are pretty solid. I’m enjoying them.

170. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 7:19 pm

Wow, Ichiro!

I cracked the screen on my laptop tonight; I can only post while I’m backing up my files.

171. argh on August 21st, 2007 7:21 pm

Is there a site where we can track player’s averages over the season on a daily basis? I’m curious to know when Richie was last hitting over .211.

172. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:22 pm

Look at his Yahoo player page.

173. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:23 pm

July 2nd on Sexson, he was hitting .212. Yahoo fantasy sports has a season log.

174. Lauren, token chick on August 21st, 2007 7:24 pm

Wait, since when are Lutherans fundies? I thought they were known for like church buffets and general whitebreadism.

175. VaughnStreet on August 21st, 2007 7:25 pm

150 –Just bobblehead Martin Luthers

176. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 7:28 pm

Guillen takin’ one for the team.

177. Grayfox on August 21st, 2007 7:28 pm

add one more to the HBP

178. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:28 pm

Guillen doesn’t even feel it anymore.

179. argh on August 21st, 2007 7:28 pm

173 – thanks.

180. argh on August 21st, 2007 7:28 pm

And 172, of course.

181. Sidi on August 21st, 2007 7:29 pm

173: Bah, I hate you. I just came to that conclusion by tediously looking through game logs. He then doesn’t play for two days and is at .210 on the fifth.

182. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 7:30 pm

Where are the Fargo jokes? I am sorely disappointed.

183. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:30 pm

I can only wish for an Adam Jones pinch hit. It would be hard to double him up and it would counter Gardenire’s move. The defensive sub is going to be made in an inning anyways, should be made now.

184. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:30 pm

I can only wish for an Adam Jones pinch hit. It would be hard to double him up and it would counter Gardenhire’s move. The defensive sub is going to be made in an inning anyways, should be made now.

185. Norm Charlton Fan Club on August 21st, 2007 7:31 pm

GUILLEN!!!!

186. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 7:31 pm

Turbo hustles in from second!??!!

187. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:31 pm

Way to break up the DP! I love good old-fashioned hard nosed BB!

188. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:32 pm
  189. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:32 pm

If I were Gardenhire, I’d be out there screaming at the ump. That’s twice that Guillen has slid illegally in this game. But I’ll take it!

190. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 7:33 pm

Guillen is a freakin’ warrior. I’m growing to love the guy.

191. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:33 pm

Lauren–I’m no expert, but I think there’s at least 2 branches of Lutheranism, maybe more, and some are more fundy than others. Me, I go to an Episcopalian church–now there’s some white bread for you. But they’re very nice people.

192. LA M's Fan on August 21st, 2007 7:34 pm

I love when Guillen plays dirty–for us. BTW, those two RBI should be credited to him on that.

Also, Adam Jones sighting.

193. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 7:34 pm

What’s the rule on sliding because that was just plain dirty by Guillen. He didn’t even slide in the direction of the bag, he slid right into Punto who was off of the bag.

194. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:34 pm

Finally, a hit with RISP. Beltre!!!!

195. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:35 pm

And yes, I know the preceding comment had absolutely nothing to do with the M’s 5-2 lead, the impact on the pennant race, the demise of the Twins–DOUBLE OFF THE WALL!–etc. We now return you to our regularly scheduled M’s love.

196. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:35 pm

ADAM JONES! Look at those wheels, even though Ibanez could have scored I think.

197. LA M's Fan on August 21st, 2007 7:36 pm

That heckling fan on the FSN North Broadcast is awesome.

“I don’t care if he got a hit last time. This guy is hitting two-thirteen!”

198. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 7:36 pm

Someone has a pretty loud voice.

199. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:36 pm

The Metrodome reminds me of the sad old Kingdome. Nobody there. Fake grass. Things hanging from the cieling.

200. Glen on August 21st, 2007 7:36 pm

2 – 1 Angels in the 2nd

201. ahhruff on August 21st, 2007 7:37 pm

191

Two major divisions.

ELCA & the Missouri Synod. The MS is more fundy than the ELCA.

Back to baseball…

202. scottg02 on August 21st, 2007 7:37 pm

Man this lineup is on fire.

203. Sidi on August 21st, 2007 7:38 pm

Also, Lutherans tend to follow some of the biblical rules that many of the other Protestant churches have abandoned. Luther founded the church as a response to what he felt was the Roman Catholic church changing Christianity from the original form for profit, so they tend to be pretty strict about matters.

But the one Lutheran I know (that I know of) is a very nice girl, so I’m not trying to condemn the church here.

204. msb on August 21st, 2007 7:39 pm

well, of course, as Lutherans they wouldn’t want to get too full of themselves, or too prideful, and really, it is better to suffer a little in this life, isn’t it.

205. msb on August 21st, 2007 7:40 pm

I see Chris Guccione is endearing himself to yet another crowd & team.

206. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:40 pm

201–That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to make a fool of myself–anymore than usual anyway. And 200, where are you getting your info? The MLB website has the NYY-LAA game at 0-0.

207. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 7:40 pm

I know Guillen was wide of th bag on that slide, but how exactly is that rule worded/interpreted? He wasn’t reaching for the base, but I think that he could have reached it with his hand if he wanted to.

208. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:40 pm

Dunk hit! Dunk hit!

209. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:40 pm

In a race between Richie, Raul, and Vidro, who would finish last?

210. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:41 pm

Richie, he has to be one of the slowest 5 guys in MLB if you don’t count catchers.

211. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:41 pm

Morrow could get a save here.

212. msb on August 21st, 2007 7:41 pm

Olerud.

213. G-Man on August 21st, 2007 7:41 pm

I’m glad I didn’t pick up Neshek for my fantasy team. He was nails earlier this year.

214. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 7:42 pm

Morrow went out for dinner and a movie between innings.

215. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 7:42 pm
  216. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:42 pm

209–Maybe the M’s could set that up. Sort of a Seattle version of the Brewers’ sausage races, with equally embarrassing results.

217. Rick L on August 21st, 2007 7:42 pm

Even Blowers thinks Neshek has been getting squeezed.

218. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:43 pm

211-How is Morrow eligible for a save? It’s a 5-run lead.

219. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 7:43 pm

Arod homer scores the Yanks run…

220. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:44 pm

218- If he works the last 3 innings.

221. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:44 pm

It’s a good thing we’re winning, since that 13-4 disparity in LOB would otherwise be unbearable.

222. thowe1 on August 21st, 2007 7:45 pm

Someone needs to give that fan a job… That dude is loud, man.

“Do not walk this guy again!!!!”

Classic, drunk Lutherans. I love it.

223. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:45 pm

220–I didn’t realize Morrow had been in the game that long, I wasn’t paying close attention until the last inning. Thanks for the clarification.

224. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 7:45 pm

Does anybody here the fan in the background screaming and yelling the entire inning. Funny stuff

225. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 7:47 pm

He doesn’t quite have the lungs of that guy in Tampa Bay, though.

226. LA M's Fan on August 21st, 2007 7:47 pm

We need two to reach in the 9th so AJ gets an AB.

227. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:47 pm

211-How is Morrow eligible for a save? It’s a 5-run lead.

It was a one-run lead when he came in, so it’s a save opportunity.

And no, he doesn’t have to pitch three innings.

228. (Expletive) Dave Samson on August 21st, 2007 7:47 pm

Who is louder, this guy or the guy in Oakland?

229. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 7:48 pm

Morrow doesn’t look nearly sharp as his last outing.

230. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:49 pm

Well, yes, he will have to pitch three innings to get a save in this situation, but it’s not a requirement to get the save because he came in with a one-run lead.

231. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 7:50 pm

223 – regarding the save – Morrow came into the game with a one run lead. Even without the three innings he could get a save. The save situation is determined when the pitcher enters the game.

However, if he doesn’t finish the game, whoever replaces him will not be eligible for a save (unless there are 2 guys on base).

232. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:50 pm

227- Right, but to get the save you have to be the last pitcher which would require him to pitch the 7,8,9 innings.

233. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 7:51 pm

Like now – if a new pitcher comes in, with the potential tying run in the hole, it’s a save situation.

234. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:51 pm

227–ok, ok, Morrow’s eligible for a save 2 ways. I’m sorry I asked. (I actually do know the save rules, just didn’t understand how they applied to this game.) And unfortunately the Angels are winning 2-1, but it’s early. Let’s hope for another extra inning game, the better to wear them both out and mess up their pitching staffs!

235. Teej on August 21st, 2007 7:51 pm

232: Yeah, I hear you. For some reason I thought it was the ninth already.

236. VaughnStreet on August 21st, 2007 7:51 pm

Angels 4-1

237. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 7:52 pm

Classic “too much rest between innings” probelm

238. _David_ on August 21st, 2007 7:52 pm

I’m seriously kind of scared about this: Where is Adam Jones going to play next year?

239. Notor on August 21st, 2007 7:53 pm

224 -

Yeah I really wish I could make out what he’s yelling about, he’s definitely a man with somethin’ to say to someone. My guess is it’s something really hilarious.

240. Notor on August 21st, 2007 7:54 pm

238-

Here, we’ve got him locked for several more years.

241. _David_ on August 21st, 2007 7:55 pm

240: That’s not what I’m asking. How do we know the Mariners aren’t just going to decide put Raul in left again. And Guillen in right.

242. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 7:56 pm

Would the announcers please shut up so I can hear the guy in the stands? I know he has more important stuff to say.

243. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 7:57 pm

Dugout shot on FSN–they look relaxed, almost bored. Good attitude for a team with a lot of games still to play.

244. joser on August 21st, 2007 7:57 pm

Let me just quote from the first inning:
    Is Ichiro hurt?

Uh, yeah.

245. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 7:58 pm

239: He’s mainly been ragging on Twins pitchers for walking Richie Sexson, heh.

246. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 7:58 pm

6-1 Angels now.

247. msb on August 21st, 2007 7:58 pm

seeing them on the bench reminds me, there was a very entertaining AJ note in the Trib this morning

248. robbbbbb on August 21st, 2007 7:59 pm

Hey, look, Turbo DP. Raise your hand if you’re shocked.

249. Notor on August 21st, 2007 7:59 pm

Shit, no AB for Jones, again.

250. Oly Rainiers Fan on August 21st, 2007 7:59 pm

204: recovering Catholic here (and native Minnesotan), we like to suffer A LOT.

serious, thanks for the laughs on this little subthread. the comment about shipping versus growing your own made me laugh out loud (with nearby pets looking at me, alarmed).

for those that didn’t know, Jeff Clement hit a grand slam in the 1st inning in the Tacoma game today. on his 24th birthday, and with both Bavasi and Pelekoudas in attendance. Baek is pitching on Thursday or Friday in Tacoma, with Sean White pitching the day before. Barring total disaster, Baek will certainly be on the Sept callup list.

Oh wait, the really important news. Nick Lachey will be taking BP with the Rainiers Sat nite, and throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. Oh, the excitement.

251. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 7:59 pm

No save after all.

252. zzyzx on August 21st, 2007 8:01 pm

7-1 now. Mussina chased after 1 2/3.

253. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 8:02 pm

Ok, now we’ve got the low-stress, confidence-builder appearance for Sherrill that I was asking for yesterday. Better late than never, and all that.

254. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 8:02 pm

Nice effort there by AJ. He can definitely fly.

255. Shizane on August 21st, 2007 8:03 pm

Why not bring in Parrish if you want a LHP? You’re up by 5 runs and he has not pitched in awhile……seems like Sherrill is in every day.

256. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 8:03 pm

How come Mussina didn’t pitch like that against the M’s in the 1997 playoffs? Maybe because he was at the height of his career then….

257. enazario on August 21st, 2007 8:03 pm

I’m not going to say he should have gotten that but I believe that AJ will make those plays in the future. Metrodome is hard though -you can’t take your eyes off the ball otherwise you lose it in the gray ceiling.

258. thowe1 on August 21st, 2007 8:04 pm

254 – second that…. We haven’t seen wheels like that in months. Raul would still be watching it drop from the warning track, tying his laces.

259. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 8:04 pm

255–That’s a point. Though I’m still trying to figure out what possessed the FO to acquire Parrish in the first place.

260. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:05 pm

so, after all the Alex to LA articles this morning, is the Angel offense trying to prove they don’t really need ARod, or trying to lure him to join in their fun?

261. Shizane on August 21st, 2007 8:05 pm

Is it wrong of me to want the twins to score 5 runs here so AJ can get an AB?

262. beckya57 on August 21st, 2007 8:05 pm

Nice going, George!

263. enazario on August 21st, 2007 8:06 pm

261 – Bite your f’ing tongue. No threading the needle!

264. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 8:07 pm

Good game, at this rate let the Angels sweep the Yanks to get a bigger lead for us. We need it with this road trip and the Yankee joke called a schedule in September.

265. Shizane on August 21st, 2007 8:07 pm

too late now….I’ll take the win instead

let’s go yanks!

266. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:08 pm

crap.

here I was watching a stupid Mariner win when I could have been listening to The Steve Kelley Show on KJR!

[forehead slap]

267. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 8:08 pm

255 & 259 Duh! They picked up Parrish so that Putz would get more save opportunities.

268. Notor on August 21st, 2007 8:09 pm

As much as it pains me to say it, go Yankees!

Yankees fans are gonna be tearing their hair out if they lose tonight. 2 1/2 back of us, can you believe it?

269. HamNasty on August 21st, 2007 8:10 pm

Wow, not only did every starter get a hit, they all had more then 1 besides Ral and Yuni.

Yes, he is still Ral to me. I said he needed 1 good month to get a U back and he is on his way to that.

270. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 8:10 pm

Seems like it didn’t take long for Johjima to bond with this pitching staff. I always take pleasure in watching him smile, congratulate, and conversate with the pitchers after the final out.

271. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:10 pm

Who is Mickey York, and why is he pretending he either knows or cares what has happened to the Ms the last few years?

272. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:12 pm

oh. okay.

followed by Cara asking Beltre who he’d want to win the Angels/NY game, like any ballplayer is going to answer that question.

273. joser on August 21st, 2007 8:14 pm

Guillen (on the aftergame show on the radio) talking about his agressive baserunning just mentioned Lopez’s slide “I hate to see a slide like that he bust his face” (I think that’s what he said, anyway)

274. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 8:17 pm

Yankees are coming back in the third. 7-5 now. I’m rooting for the Yanks myself, even though that makes me ill. I’d rather win the division, though.

275. joser on August 21st, 2007 8:18 pm

Fundamentalism requires passion (usually in the form of sublimated sexual terror). “Lutheran” is in the dictionary as one of the antonyms of “passion.” (Along with “Minnesotan” and “Northwesterner”)

276. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 8:21 pm

Wait – the Yankees game isn’t on ESPN!!!!

What happened?

277. VaughnStreet on August 21st, 2007 8:21 pm

Rooting for the Yankees to win isn’t the same as rooting for the Angels to lose. And it’s easier on the conscience. Lose, Angels, Lose!!

278. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 8:24 pm

Well anyone rooting for both teams to use a lot of pitching is getting what they want.

279. frankb. on August 21st, 2007 8:29 pm

I don’t think either Guillen slide at second was illegal or dirty. It’s only interference if the runner makes contact with a fielder fielding a batted ball, or if he goes outside the three feet allowed on either side of a straight line between the runned and the base he’s going for. Rule 7.09 says nothing about “making an effort to touch the base.” I also think Punto never had control of the throw on the second attempt. Guillen should have been safe. Breaking up the DP is one of the “gritty” things that good players do. I’ll take a player who plays like that.

280. scottg02 on August 21st, 2007 8:37 pm

I bet the Yankees and their fans are getting sick of us winning. I love it.

281. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:37 pm

hey, the M’s have announced that the Indians make-up doubleheader in Sept will be a traditional double-header

“The first game is scheduled to begin at 4:05 p.m., and the second game will begin approximately 30 minutes after the end of game one. A single ticket will be good for admission to both games. Gates will open at 2:05 p.m. Because the first game is actually a makeup of one of the four snowed out games at Cleveland in April, the Indians will be designated the home team and bat last.”

282. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 8:39 pm

Ron Villone comes back to haunt us. Bases-loaded walk puts the Angels up by 3.

283. AuburnM on August 21st, 2007 8:40 pm

Been out all day so this is very late: Thank you Dave. It is indeed time to drop any and all cynicism and discord and do one thing – CHEER LIKE CRAZY.

Bitching and arguing may resume in the off season.

284. msb on August 21st, 2007 8:44 pm

oh, AuburnM, if you’d seen some of the at-bats & GIDPs tonight, you’d still let us bitch occasionally this season.

285. shortbus on August 21st, 2007 8:58 pm

Man, the Yanks are going to be running Joe Torre out to pitch by the ninth inning.

286. AuburnM on August 21st, 2007 8:59 pm

#284 (and others)

If you aren’t a happy fan now you are incapable of being happy.

GO Ms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

287. The Unknown Comic on August 21st, 2007 9:11 pm

Nice team chemistry tonight. No doubt about it.

288. davepaisley on August 21st, 2007 9:31 pm

Yeah, but team chemistry is streaky. We just can’t tell when it’ll take a nosedive.

289. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 9:44 pm

Garrett Anderson has 10 RBIs. And it’s only the sixth inning.

290. DizzleChizzle on August 21st, 2007 9:49 pm

If you’re a Yankee fan at that game you better be sneaking out the exits right now. Embarrassing

291. Lauren, token chick on August 21st, 2007 9:53 pm

18-5?! TEN RBI? Good lord.

292. Slippery Elmer on August 21st, 2007 10:07 pm

That’s right, Anderson. Use all that mojo in one game so you’ll be all spent and limp when you visit Safeco…

293. joser on August 21st, 2007 10:07 pm

Hilarious note by Drayer in the postgame. The scene: late night at the hotel in the Twin Cities, M’s have just arrived and are checking in. Lot of milling around and waiting. Adam Jones has nothing better to do, so he walks up to Rick Rizzs and asks “Hey, Rizzs, why are you baffled so often?”

Now, Drayer says this was in reference to the “Baffle the Broadcaster” thing (I guess Jones knows he isn’t getting in the game so he’s watching it on TV or listening to the radio). But I’d like to think AJ was actually making a larger, more metaphorical/philosophical point.

294. joser on August 21st, 2007 10:11 pm

Most of the Yankees fans are back on the east coast, and they’ve turned it off and gone to bed a while ago (they already stayed up late last night for extra innings, only to see a loss). Yeah, this is looking like that 22-whatever shellacking Cleveland put on the Yanks a couple of years ago.

Though, speaking of games against Cleveland, wouldn’t it be awesome if the Angels sat their regulars and the Yanks came roaring back and took it into extra innings, depleting the Angels bullpen as well?

Also, if you’re a fan of the sweetest form of schadenfreude, there is no better reading than the yankees blogs for the past few nights. They’re even being haunted by memories of Bloomquist (no lie!)

295. rsrobinson on August 21st, 2007 10:12 pm

It looks like the Yankees pulled some peanut vendors out of the stands, put uniforms on them and pointed them to the mound. Anderson hasn’t seen this many fat pitches since he won the homerun derby.

296. joser on August 21st, 2007 10:22 pm

That sets a new club record for LAA. The previous record was 9, Vladimir Guerrero vs. Boston 6/2/04

The MLB record for RBI in a game by a single player is 12, held by Jim Bottomley (STL, September 24, 1924) and Mark Whiten (STL, September 7, 1993). Only nine other players have had 10+ in a game.

The M’s record is 8, held by Alvin Davis, Mike Blowers, and Mike Cameron.

And may Anderson not get another all season.

297. panman on August 21st, 2007 10:23 pm

Amen Dave….best of all worlds; the Angels bury the Yankees and the M’s swepp the Angels….

298. loki on August 21st, 2007 10:23 pm

Yahoo boxscore says Chone Figgins left the game with a sprained wrist. Weren’t people just talking about wrist injuries affecting hitters in the hot streak thread…

Did anyone see what happened / how badly he might be injured? Not to wish injury on anyone, but he’s been huge for the Angels this year, so if he does happent o be injured it seems like that would hurt their offense a bit.

299. Dave S. on August 21st, 2007 10:24 pm

Holy frak the Angels are destroying the Yankees pen… If the Yanks don’t make the playoffs, it’ll be because of that bullpen.

300. joser on August 21st, 2007 10:38 pm

The Yankees have had a questionable bullpen (except for Rivera, of course) all year. What has been getting them through this hot streak has been their starting pitching. When their starters don’t go at least six innings, that shakey pen gets exposed (unless their offense can bail them out against the other guy’s pen). In this case, Mussina didn’t last two, and the results speak for themselves.

301. smb on August 21st, 2007 10:44 pm

I still have a lot of issues with how our club is run, and I haven’t found a hole to be poked in any of the excellent analysis found on this most excellent site, despite the fact that (almost) none of the strategic improvements Dave points out make their way to the product on the field, but I, too, am ready to put aside my inner curmudgeon as this team makes a solid charge at the playoffs. After the last few years, this situation is a great reminder of how good the life of a baseball fan can be when the bats are working and the pitching is keeping us in games. Perhaps most of all, this growing community of passionate and knowledge-hungry M’s fans is adding a dimension to my personal experience that elevates the joy of fandom to a whole new level. Thanks to Dave, Derek and the rest of the gang for providing us with an awesome place on the web to call our Mariner home. Thanks, too, to all of the excellent regulars, people I’ve never met but that I feel a growing kinship with. When this team finally brings home that first World Series trophy, we are going to have a party for the ages! Huzzah, W00T, and all that!

302. smb on August 21st, 2007 10:47 pm

10 RBIs for Garrett Anderson tonight?! If he were ever going to accomplish that, I would have bet it would have come against us. Against the Yanks, it’s oh-so-sweet!

303. Dan W on August 21st, 2007 10:59 pm

279 – I don’t think so. 7.09 (d):

Ibanez could have been called out for Guillen’s interference had it been ruled as such, and no runs would have scored.

304. panman on August 21st, 2007 11:01 pm

The M’s had more hits than the Angels tonight… and Anderson increased his RBI total by 25% in one game! Hard to do in August……

305. Rumpelstiltskin on August 21st, 2007 11:02 pm

Anderson had a chance to break the RBI record. He came up with 2 out and runners at the corners in the 8th and grounded out. A homerun would’ve given him 13 RBI! Had there not been 2 out, he probably would’ve gotten one more RBI…

306. joser on August 21st, 2007 11:15 pm

Figgens is listed as day-to-day and will be examined on Weds. Unfortunately, Colon is throwing simulated games and is working up to getting off the DL.

307. Ralph_Malph on August 21st, 2007 11:32 pm

Coolstandings:

M’s win expectancy is 90.9
    Yankees win expectancy is 90.6

M’s playoff percentage 53.5% (14.9/38.6)
    Yankees 49.8% (6.0/43.8)

Nothing like losing 18-9 to bring down your pythag.

308. frankb. on August 21st, 2007 11:43 pm

303- I’ve been wrong before, but If you just applied part (d) a runner could NEVER break up a double play. I don’t think that’s possible. At MLB.com they add a comment to part (d):
    “7.09(d) Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate;
    Rule 7.09(d) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues to advance after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.” I think that means a runner sliding into a fielder and whacking the ball away or getting up from the ground and chasing a fielder would be guilty of interference. I think it also means that if the runner is continuing to advance [within the 3 feet allowed on either side of the direct line] that act alone isn’t considered “confusing, hindering, or impeding.”
    Baseball Almanac.com has a little more detail but they refer to the subsection as part (f)
    Thanks for the respectful discussion.

309. Russ on August 21st, 2007 11:46 pm

OK…Lutherans can be a pretty dry bunch. However, speaking for myself only, my draw to to Luther is not the fundamentalism but rather the richness of the theology. There is a rightousness (think funk, not religion) to the whole thing Martin Luther started.

He saw a terrible thing that the church was proprogating, i.e. paying for salvation and edited discernment of scripture, so he spoke out to say we all deserve to decide for ourselves and the only way to decide was to be knowledgeable. He began to translate scripture so that everyone could read the words of the bible for themselves vs. the church’s editied education. What followed was his proclamation that the catholic church was not the only way. He felt that a person’s relationship with Jesus triumphed over any ‘organized’ church.

310. Catherwood on August 22nd, 2007 12:12 am

Woo.

The game’s been over for hours, and I just now got a chance to scroll through all the remarks; you people are FUNNY. My wife had to come check on me: I was laughing so hard she thought I was choking.

“Sexson runs like one of those trees in ‘Lord of the Rings’” was the one that really set me off.

It’s like watching the game with a hundred or so friends who all pay attention. You guys rock.

As for the starting pitching, I’m kind of mystified. Weaver has gone through an Oedipus-like fall and rise here, HoRam says he’s fixed his mechanics (and here I thought mechanics fixed things), Felix is, if not overpowering, at least pretty darn good, and Jarrod is doing okay. So is it good? Shaky? Bad? Or what?

Regardless, I don’t think I’d want to be a team with the Mariners coming into town for a series right about now.

311. jeffinfremont on August 22nd, 2007 12:47 am

Fark the stats. I will repeat, FARK the stats. This team is deadly right now. It is wonderful to watch. This is a great team and I will take great joy watching them in the playoffs.

312. smb on August 22nd, 2007 1:21 am

Jeff,

Easy to say when we’re playing like the ’01 team…we simply can do no wrong at the moment, and yes, it’s an absolute joy to be a fan of the M’s right now. The problem is this hot streak can disappear overnight, and we still have plenty of time to choke our way out of this race. I’d be happier if the Angels were losing, but they’re not. With the way we’re playing, it’s slightly disappointing we haven’t taken the div lead yet. I’m keeping my fingers crossed on that, and I hope you are too.

313. kyoko on August 22nd, 2007 2:03 am

309 – He also said he wanted to pave the road to the sea with the skulls of jews

314. Dan W on August 22nd, 2007 7:01 am

frankb – If I remember correctly from a few LL umpire clinics, I think it boils down to interference basically being a judgement call. The way that play is usually called in the majors is there’s no interference, even on a hard slide, if the umpire sees the base in reach of the runner. Guillen had no chance to reach the base on that slide.

By the way, the ‘out of the baseline’ call wouldn’t matter there, I don’t think, since that’s generally only applicable when a runner is avoiding a tag, which was not the case on that play.

Anyway, I’m certainly glad that the umpire agreed with you, and not with me. This is great stuff.

315. The Ancient Mariner on August 22nd, 2007 8:04 am

#313: Citation? (Inflammatory quotes should always be cited chapter and verse; there are too many fake ones floating around. Luther certainly was far from perfect when it came to the Jews, but that one sounds iffy.)

316. The Ancient Mariner on August 22nd, 2007 8:07 am

Oh, and the comment I meant to make on Guillen is that, imho, the interference non-call is balanced by the fact that Guillen was never actually tagged — it’s the old “phantom tag” thing on a DP where you just pretend that the fielder touched the base. If you’re going to be sticky about interference, you have to be sticky about the fact that aside from the interference, Guillen shouldn’t be out at all. As such, calling him out but letting the rest of the play go forward sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

317. msb on August 22nd, 2007 8:14 am

say, wasn’t Garret Anderson supposed to be ‘done’? :)

318. vj on August 22nd, 2007 8:42 am

“The Mariner Moose and Navigators (Mariners Street Team) will be out on Monday and Tuesday in Seattle”

Coco Crisp recommends to watch out for the ATV!

319. Dan W on August 22nd, 2007 8:55 am

Ancient – I agree with you on that and would not be surprised if the umpire factored that into his call. The only point I was trying to make is that there was alot of leeway for the call to go in favor of the Twins on that play.

320. dirk on August 22nd, 2007 9:29 am

Bloomquist @ 2nd, Broussard @ DH for today’s game.

321. joser on August 22nd, 2007 9:33 am

In the aftergame MacLaren said he was going to “give the regulars some rest” so that’s not unexpected. We may even see it during the Texas games (given the way the heat and humidity can sap you, I should certainly hope so). But Joh is playing?

322. lailaihei on August 22nd, 2007 9:36 am

Broussard moved to first and Burke catching plz so we can have a killer B infield >_>

323. Lauren, token chick on August 22nd, 2007 9:36 am

As always, I heart you guys. One Lutheran comment and a whole discussion resulting. The skull thing (nice imagery!) caused me to hunt around the web and find this:

DAMN. I had no idea Luther was such a raving anti-Semite. Not that I know that much about him… he’s a bit after my period of study.

324. davepaisley on August 22nd, 2007 9:40 am

No Burke on a day game after a night game? Even Mauer gets a few games at DH.

Even when he’s trying, McLaren can’t buy a clue.

325. Mike Honcho on August 22nd, 2007 9:47 am

Bloomquist @ 2nd, Broussard @ DH for today’s game

Mac playing the “hot streak” w/Sexson again.

326. The Ancient Mariner on August 22nd, 2007 9:57 am

Actually, it’s a bit simplistic to call Luther an anti-Semite; later in his career, he said some very harsh things against the Jews, but it wasn’t actually anti-Semitism that motivated him, it was other things. Which is a conversation for somewhere else, because it would take a while to explain (that period, as it happens, is my period of study) . . .

. . . and coming back on topic, Dan W, I certainly realize that the ump could have done a number of different things. I just notice that umps generally don’t call the rules as written, but according to a set of unwritten emendations, of which the “phantom tag” is usually one; but if the “phantom tag” is going to be allowed, then to call interference strictly would give the fielders an unfair advantage. As such, I suspect that in cases where the middle infielder is trying to turn a phantom DP, there’s a pretty strong tendency to let the runner go beyond the letter of the rulebook to try to break it up. As there should be, really — either hold both sides to the letter or neither, but don’t play favorites.

327. joser on August 22nd, 2007 10:00 am

Uh, Lauren, before you go taking anything on that site as (ahem) gospel, you might look at what else is on there.

I’m not sure who Brent Herbert of 119 lochrie cres, Saskatoon, is (other than the owner/admin of the site) but here presumably the same guy writes “On the story page linked to above I discuss the luminescent craft I witnessed at Banff National Park when I was fifteen, and then a few months later I received my driver’s licence…. You will notice the ’6 6 6′ on the licence number.”

I’m not saying Luther didn’t write what page claims he wrote, or wasn’t an anti-semite (which afterall was pretty much the default attitude at the time); I’m just saying I’d look for a more authoritative citation. Anybody can have a webpage, and most nutcases do.

328. joser on August 22nd, 2007 10:01 am

Also, game thread is up.

329. Lauren, token chick on August 22nd, 2007 10:31 am

Joser: Yeah, I saw the book cited in a number of places. Obviously I didn’t check to make sure that the site owner didn’t adulterate the text with alien references, but it looks like the real thing.

Ancient M: Yes, those pages are quite a compendium of “harsh things.” It seems a bit like splitting hairs to say he wasn’t an anti-Semite. At least in the sense that word has come to be used today. But I’ll bow to your presumed expertise…

330. Lauren, token chick on August 22nd, 2007 10:36 am

P.S.: The extremely comprehensive Wikipedia page discusses varying scholastic opinions on whether Luther in his later life was opposed to Jews’ religion or their race. It seems there are viable arguments for both.