A few quick notes

Dave · August 29, 2007 at 10:42 am · Filed Under Mariners

Okay, a couple of items, two even baseball related, that I need to get up before the game thread.

1. A friend of mine is starting a non-profit and needs some immediate help from an experienced web designer. If you’re interested in helping fix some code and get the site live, and can offer some assistance in the next couple of days, drop us a line.

2. John Hickey reports that Jose Guillen and the M’s are close to a three year contract extension. These negotiations haven’t been any kind of secret, and it’s been known for a while now that this was probably going to happen. It will get its own post when it becomes official, but I’m guessing it’s coming in around 3 years and $30 million, and if so, I’m on board – Guillen’s a quality player that the M’s should be interested in retaining.

3. I’m proud to have never watched one second of Dancing With The Stars, but that might change this fall – my cousin, Josie Maran, is part of the new cast. No, I have no idea how she and I came from the same gene pool, but she obviously hogged all the good looking genes. Go Josie.

4. Happy Felix Day.

Comments

57 Responses to “A few quick notes”

1. gwangung on August 29th, 2007 10:51 am

Good God. Close cousin?

(No matter. Your coolness quotient goes up anyway, with absolutely no effort, just for being related).

2. lailaihei on August 29th, 2007 10:55 am

Happy Felix day indeed! I sent you an email about the web design portion…
    Where is the first place to get game lineups? I want to know if AJ is starting before I head down to the game.

3. PositivePaul on August 29th, 2007 10:55 am

Wow, I’m sorta surprised you’re on the Guillen extension bandwagon. While I agree he’s not the worst player you could give such an extension to, I’m a bit surprised that you’re not advocating digging into the same scrap heap they found Guillen in for next season, if they decide they need a veteran outfielder.

4. Dave on August 29th, 2007 11:00 am

Close cousin?.

First cousin. Mom’s sister’s daughter.

Right-hander on the hill – no way.

I’m a bit surprised that you’re not advocating digging into the same scrap heap they found Guillen in for next season…

I was pro-Guillen last winter and I don’t think his performance this year is out of line with what we should have expected. Even if you don’t plan on keeping him for the full three year term, he’s a valuable enough asset that he’s worth keeping around, and a 3/30 type deal isn’t the kind of anchor contract that becomes an albatross.

5. scraps on August 29th, 2007 11:01 am

I am surprised about Guillen, too. I’ll try to leave my dislike of him at the door, and leave character issues out of it: He seems to me to be a poor fielder and an average hitter, aging, and not cheap. He’s not bad, but what does he offer that Balentien doesn’t? The only advantage I can see is that it keeps Bavasi from making a rotten free agent signing.

6. scraps on August 29th, 2007 11:02 am

Hadn’t seen Dave’s comment 4 when I posted that.

7. Mat on August 29th, 2007 11:03 am

Well, you write about sports, and she has appeared in Sports Illustrated, so that must be how you are related.

8. scraps on August 29th, 2007 11:03 am

Or, to put it another way, since the team is unlikely to sit either Ibanez or Vidro, what does Guillen offer that Adam Jones doesn’t? Doesn’t an extension to Guillen cement another year of Jones on the bench?

9. Dave on August 29th, 2007 11:07 am

Ibanez to first base is a strong possibility for 2008.

10. PositivePaul on August 29th, 2007 11:10 am

Definitely not dogging Guillen. He’s been a huge asset on this team, both with his performance and in the clubhouse. Someone mentioned that, along with Beltre, he’s the heart of the team, and I wouldn’t disagree.

While there are other, better measurements, Guillen’s ~25 HRs, 100+ RBIs as a righty in Safeco are certainly nothing to scoff at. He’s got a solid bat, and I don’t think it’ll fall off too far in three years (he’d turn 34 in year 3 of the contract). I’d be more worried about his range disappearing than his bat or his arm.

I’m a Guillen fan, too.

11. hans on August 29th, 2007 11:13 am

Speaking of new contracts for players…
    any update on the pitcher situation? I liked the idea of Wells, but unfortunately it didn’t pan out. I like the idea of Tomko. The San Francisco Chronicle suggested that Loaiza is available. Any news?

12. brian_sun on August 29th, 2007 11:14 am

Dave: if Ibanez goes to 1B, you are basically saying we will be able to move Big Sexy this off season, right?

13. etowncoug on August 29th, 2007 11:17 am

#12 Well teams tried to claim Richie Sexson off waivers, so teams are interested in paying him to play 1B for them.

14. bakomariner on August 29th, 2007 11:18 am

sexson can be moved…the Ms will pay for his salary and get prospects in return…he’ll probably go back to the NL where he fared better in years past…

15. scraps on August 29th, 2007 11:18 am

I’m not very interested in the “heart of the team” clubhouse-asset arguments; I avoided mentioning his history of being a clubhouse problem. If he’s an asset this year, I think you can argue that it’s certainly subject to quick change depending on circumstance.

We’re better off sticking to arguments about performance.

16. abender20 on August 29th, 2007 11:19 am

So now that the Dodgers have officially claimed Loaiza… Why did bavasi not pick him up? I’m pretty certain Rick White could be DFA’d and no one would shed a tear.

17. bakomariner on August 29th, 2007 11:19 am

along the same lines, if raul is at first, then there is no reason to have broussard on the squad at all really…so he’ll be moved as well…

18. bakomariner on August 29th, 2007 11:20 am

more than anything, i love guillen’s fire…his hustle on the bases and his breaking up double plays have been a joy to watch…i’m glad they are inking him long term…jones, ichiro, guillen will be deadly next year…three of the best arms in all of baseball…

19. Evan on August 29th, 2007 11:23 am

Re: Josie Maran

I can’t say that I see any family resemblance…

Re: Jose Guillen

I’d be a bigger fan of the extension if I thought the team understood platoon splits better, but I agree it’s not a bad deal.

Though this probably means we’re moving Balentien, does it?

20. etowncoug on August 29th, 2007 11:24 am

The Jose Guillen contract will probably be market value so I’m not disappointed about that. I’m bummed that the M’s are going to probably give away Broussard and maybe even eat a good portion of Sexson’s salary in order to make this deal work.

Hopefully a team shows interest in Jose Vidro this offseason and we can unload him. Terry Ryan, I’m looking in your general direction.

21. ivan on August 29th, 2007 11:24 am

Guillen should be allowed to walk. He is blocking Jones and Wlad, who both have a higher upside. There’s little to no difference between this contract and the contract they gave Ibanez, Dave, and if you think there is, I wish you’d enlighten me.

22. Evan on August 29th, 2007 11:27 am

Actually, it’s been more than a year since I’ve seen Dave. There might be some resemblance there.

23. brian_sun on August 29th, 2007 11:33 am

#21: Well, the big difference between Ibanez’s contract and Guillen’s contract is money & years. Raul got a 2 years extension at 5.5M/year, Guillen will get 3 at about 10M/year. But Guillen just turned 30, so 3 years isn’t too bad.

Bavasi has made it cleart that he’s not going to break in Jones & Balentin at the same time in 2008. If Ibanez can move to 1B, I see this signing as a pretty good move. Raul & Vidro’s contracts are both up after 2008, so Balentin can come in and be the 4th out fielder in 2008 and move to a full time DH/1B position in 09.

24. rsrobinson on August 29th, 2007 11:35 am

I’d never heard of Josie Maran so I googled her. Holey Moley! I’d never miss a family reunion if she was a cousin.

As for Jose Guillen, he’s definitely won me over this year so I’m on board with keep him here.

25. carcinogen on August 29th, 2007 11:35 am

Dave,

“all the good looking genes” is probably an understatement. It may have been divine intervention.

26. etowncoug on August 29th, 2007 11:37 am

#25

Dude, that’s Daves cousin. He doesn’t want to see that… Then again he moved to NC so maybe he does, but probably not.

27. Jeff Sullivan on August 29th, 2007 11:37 am

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m pretty sure Dave doesn’t want this to turn into a thread of people drooling over his cousin.

28. davepaisley on August 29th, 2007 11:40 am

Maybe Josie will be paired with notable dance master Harry Canary?

Wouldn’t that be something worth watching!

29. The Unknown Comic on August 29th, 2007 11:41 am

#27

Fair enough but the subject was mentioned in the topic and a google search does make your eyes pop out.

30. gk91 on August 29th, 2007 11:42 am

In favor if more folks get on the “Hogie” nickname bandwagon.

31. bakomariner on August 29th, 2007 11:42 am

wlad will be the 4th outfielder next year…not too bad…we are set in the OF for the next three years…let’s just fix the rotation and we can really be cooking next year…

32. brian_sun on August 29th, 2007 11:43 am

Perhaps the good looking gene pools are different, but maybe not so much on the character side. This is from the wiki page Dave linked on this post:

Maran was quoted as saying on Jimmy Kimmel Live, August 12, 2004 “I don’t believe in marriage. I just don’t think it’s necessary in this day and age. I just think if you need to get married, then you’re already distrusting the person. Why do you have to sign something to show your love? You just love, everyday.” Maran talked about quitting modeling and acting to live in Hawaii and teach children, on Jimmy Kimmel Live, 24 October 2005. She reported to have also started yoga, eating organic foods, and trying to quit smoking.

33. G-Man on August 29th, 2007 11:43 am

This organization has done terribly in moving a player that they really wanted to move. Look at what we got for Carlos Guillen.

34. Mariner Fan in CO Exile on August 29th, 2007 11:44 am

Dave, even though there is nothing you did to merit your relation to a good looking super model, I still somehow hold you in even higher esteem. Funny that, no?

On Guillen, I actually voted no on the LL poll on giving him an extension. However, I am squarely in the undecided category now. He clearly has the kind of drive I like to see in a player, he’s rebounded nicely this year performance-wise, and if healthy, if he has even just a year or so more of quality play, some team like the M’s will be willing to give him a shot and take over part of the contract given his “track record” even if his real stats indicate he’s on the down turn. That said, I’d really like to see a youth movement in the corner positions. I don’t have any other names besides Jones – you indicated Wlad is unlikely for ’08 – but I suppose we aren’t precluded in doing that in year two or three. I don’t know. I’d be interested in hearing more about his skillset in the contract post you put up before I jump on this bandwagon.

35. YoEleven on August 29th, 2007 11:45 am

A modest proposal for Dave: I install Antonetti as GM (and never mind how); you cough up Josie’s digits. Everybody wins!

Well, except Josie, probably, but sacrifices must be made.

36. terry on August 29th, 2007 11:46 am

Dave: You don’t view Guillen’s defense as a problem?

37. HamNasty on August 29th, 2007 11:49 am

Glad she isn’t my cousin! If she ever showeed up to a USSM event the numbers would triple!

I am also on board with the Guillen deal.

38. Jeff Sullivan on August 29th, 2007 11:52 am

(Speaking for Dave)

Guillen’s not a plus defender, but a lot of his early problems were caused by ankle trouble that’ve since fallen by the wayside.

39. Dan W on August 29th, 2007 11:54 am

Josie Maran? I am impressed. She was definitely the hottest of Dracula’s three wives in “Van Helsing”.

40. davepaisley on August 29th, 2007 11:55 am

32 – so she got the looks, Dave got the brains?

41. Sammy on August 29th, 2007 11:57 am

Is 3/10 really what we should be expecting, especially in light of the Byrnes contract? I’d expect Guillen to come in a bit pricier…

42. Jeff Nye on August 29th, 2007 11:59 am

This thread got really creepy in a hurry.

43. Sec 108 on August 29th, 2007 12:01 pm

From a selfish perspective I want Guillen gone from RF. My seats are right behind him and I cannot stand watching him play defense. His arm, while strong, is rarely on target. Part of the fun for me as a fan is the feeling that I may be up close and personal to an occasional amazing play. Guillen has had ZERO of those plays this year reducing the bang for my entertainment dollar.

44. davepaisley on August 29th, 2007 12:04 pm

39 – you know, I’ve never helsed a van. Sounds dangerous, though.

45. Mike Snow on August 29th, 2007 12:09 pm

I’d consider taking Ramon Santiago back if a team was willing to take on Sexson’s salary.

46. F-Rod on August 29th, 2007 12:11 pm

21-
    Are you stating that the Ibanez contract was a bad deal? or bad idea? Despite his average performance this year its extremely hard to argue with the value of the Ibanez deal considering his performance last year. I like the move, love watching Guillen plays, he is one heck of a baserunner.

47. rcc on August 29th, 2007 12:14 pm

Two surprises on this thread….that Dave’s first cousin is a real honest to goodness grade A Hottie! A first round draft pick for sure!

Three years @ $10 million per years seems very steep for Guillen. Dave has always advocated for obtaining cheaper, just as good options when it comes to player/roster selection. Outfielders for $10 million….Alex? Who is Jose Guillen?

48. F-Rod on August 29th, 2007 12:17 pm

Byrnes and Dye got very similar deals. All three are good players that help teams win, its debatable which will be the best of the three but at least two will probably have successfull deals. Lets not forget that there is no salary cap in baseball and spending a couple extra million on a solid player as opposed rolling the dice on a riskier player is no big deal. $10 mill is not “thaaaat” much in this era.

49. westfried on August 29th, 2007 12:17 pm

A deal for Guillen,in isolation, is good. The problem comes when you look at the team as a whole. Whatever we think of Ibanez/Vidro, the team is very happy with them, so they’re here next year.

It’d be nice to think we’ll see AJ in left, so the ONLY way a Guillen extension works is if we see one of Vidro/Ibanez move to 1st, and the other move to DH. Which gives us limited power and bad 1B defense. Then, you’ve still got Richie and Broussard to consider.

Bill Bavasi has painted himself into a corner. Last offseason, it seemed crazy that a team as bad as the Ms had been was basically “set” going into the offseason/spring training. It’s going to be the same this year – every position is either filled or logjammed. How can we improve the position players? Answer is, we can’t. (well, we could give up on Lopez, and trade him for Biggio, I suppose…)

How I wish one of AJ/Wlad were left-handed, then we’d have a chance. Assuming they develop as their skillsets say they could (big if, I know), the best Ms outfield would be AJ/Ichiro/Wlad. Then, some combination of Broussard/Ibanez/Vidro/Sexson/LH_Free_Agent at 1B/DH.

Guillen is doing far better than I’d expected this year, and has certainly been an asset. I just worry about clogging up the team with a “veteran” who won’t sit, and can’t hit righties…

50. Adam S on August 29th, 2007 12:20 pm

I have to disagree on the Guillen signing. I don’t think 3/30 is so bad in terms of $ vs. expected output, though I have some doubts about his usefulness in 2010. But I think this is terrible for roster construction.

We HAVE to trade Sexson and every team knows it. We won’t get much, but we’ll get even less. But even after trading Sexson, we’re now locked into Jones, Ichiro, Guillen, Vidro, and Ibanez for 2008 and all but Ibanez for 2009 (assuming the team doesn’t extend him again and Vidro vests). That doesn’t leave a place to get Balentin playing time or more importantly to even look at options on the free agent market of via trade. If we want to acquire a bat at the trading deadline, we don’t have a place to put him.

I’d rather let Guillen walk or just take the one-year option and have some flexibility going forward. I expect we can find a player who’s half as good for 1/3 the price. Or perhaps, using platoons can get just as much value for 1/2 the price.

51. Gomez on August 29th, 2007 12:31 pm

Guillen’s been productive, and it’s nice to know you’ll have a productive MOTO bat for sure during the next 3 years… instead of taking your chances with two talented but unproven kids, one of which has Wily Mo Peña tools.

We all want Wlad and AJ to be monster MLB bats, but none of us know exactly how much they can give this team now or in 2008. But we’re pretty sure of what Guillen gives us, and not in the HoRam sense of ‘sure’.

That’s a lot of money, but for a team that brings in a lot of money and has a lot of talented, inexpensive kids in a lot of roster spots, that’s not too a big deal.

Also, it must be mentioned that extending Guillen is also a goodwill gesture. He performed and the team rewarded him with a nice contract extension. That reflects well on the org to others and may be seen as an encouraging sign by future free agents that could motivate good talent to sign here.

52. DAMellen on August 29th, 2007 12:31 pm

So then are we expecting to see Balentien traded? And if Ibanez moves to first, are we saying Ben and Rich are gonna be dumped?

53. Tom C on August 29th, 2007 12:31 pm

Awesome revelation about Dave’s close relation being a supermodel. Wow.
    Hope she does well in the competition.
    Re the genes comments: I’ve never met Dave in person but from the photos that I remember of the recent get-together (which Jeff from LL also joined) it doesn’t seem a crazy stretch in terms of type.

3 years 30 million sounds a reasonable deal for Guillen in this market. He delivered the goods after so many acquisitions shrivelled up and died after coming to the Safe. And furthermore, there seems to be no sign that he’s holding back some pent up craziness to be unleashed once the contract’s signed.

54. westfried on August 29th, 2007 12:39 pm

Interesting point on the goodwill gesture. Bavasi, for all his his faults, does have a reputation for being a “good guy” who takes care of his players.

55. joser on August 29th, 2007 12:39 pm

You know, I was all set to go to the game today — Felix pitching, sunshine, 80 degree weather… But after the last two nights, I just have no stomach for it. I may not even listen on the radio. Sigh.

56. The Unknown Comic on August 29th, 2007 12:45 pm

#55

I haven’t given up hope yet. Still think there is a small chance they can back their way into the wildcard but I wouldn’t bet on it.

57. eponymous coward on August 29th, 2007 1:23 pm

I could live with this if I could be convinced Bavasi won’t somehow screw up getting Sexson off the roster, and could net fungible rotation talent for Wlad.

Of course, if Antonetti’s the GM come October, I have a lot more confidence in that.

It’s not ideal to see the Mariners ride over-30 veterans until they suck, rather than ditch them a year early, but it’s defensible given that you don’t want Raul anywhere near the OF, and sticking in TWO RHB rookies in the OF in a park that’s DOOOOOOM TO RIGHTIES is probably pushing it. Guillen’s a useful player, and the contract’s not awful.