Game 145, Devil Rays at Mariners

DMZ · September 13, 2007 at 6:12 pm · Filed Under Game Threads

I’m glad to see a new opponent, that’s for sure. Jason Hammel, one of a bunch of more or less interchangable, cheap, back-of-the-rotation guys the Devil Rays have been juggling (and who I traded to Jason in our hyper-complicated keeper-league-of-keeper-leagues), faces off against Jeff Weaver, who’s been getting cuffed around since that pretty good August 12th game against a weak White Sox team.

Jeff Weaver, last 5 starts: 2-2, 7.62 ERA, 26 IP, 37 H, 6 BB, 15 K, 9 HR. Opponents: .346/.371/.664
season: 6-12 in 23 starts, 6.05 ERA, 125 IP, 164 H, 30 BB, 69 K, 19 HR. Opponents: .319/.358/.523

Jason Hammel, in 10 starts: 1-4, 6.75 ERA, 45.1 IP, 53 H, 19 BB, 27 K, 9 HR. Opponents: .293/.366/.547

Weaver makes approximately $8m more than Hammel.

Not playing: Adam Jones. Apparently, there is no way to play yourself into the lineup under McLaren: there’s no playing time to be had if you don’t perform up to an undefined standard, and spectacular performances are only rewarded with continued playing time if you’re a veteran.

How is this supposed to motivate anyone?

Comments

283 Responses to “Game 145, Devil Rays at Mariners”

1. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:17 pm

This is almost seems like a good night for Hammel to throw a 3 hit shutout in that case since he’s playing the Mariners. Hope I’m wrong. . .

2. msb on September 13th, 2007 6:21 pm

“The Seattle Mariners are vying for a playoff spot while the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are likely headed for another 90-loss season. Still, there’s no question which team has been better lately.”

sigh.

3. fetish on September 13th, 2007 6:22 pm

The real question is “Does Adam Jones earn a lineup spot”.

As much as I favor veterans and don’t really see a great future for Adam Jones, it’s been known that struggling, really-should-be-sitting veterans have earned a spot in a game with one swing of the bat. Does the same rule apply to Jones?

If he’s not playing, I would take it as “a sign” if I were Jones.

4. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:24 pm

Some people just sometimes forget that once upon a time these “veterans” you see know were rookies trying to find their way like Adam Jones. And those rookies certainly didn’t get a chance to become better by being bench warmers.

Poor Adam, I hope he’s up here playing 3 times a week next year under Joe Girardi.

5. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:25 pm

now*

6. msb on September 13th, 2007 6:25 pm

#1– let’s see.

a young righthander they have never seen vs. the pitcher who has since his last win has “surrendered 15 earned runs and 25 hits in three starts over 12 1-3 innings”

7. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:28 pm

#6: Yup. Another reason not to watch, so sad. Four irrevelant Septembers in a row under Bill Bavasi.

Please don’t tell me that’s good enough to warrant an extension.

8. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:28 pm

*irrelevant

Ack, bad spelling, sorry.

9. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 6:31 pm

Please, would you maybe consider proofing your comments before submitting, given that you’re running a 50% correction rate?

10. Dave on September 13th, 2007 6:34 pm

Adam Jones, last 17 plate appearances: .400/.438/.867, 3 of his 6 hits have been for extra bases, plus a walk and only two strikeouts.

By Geoff Baker’s definition, Adam Jones is too hot to take out of the line-up for another week or two before we’re completely sure he’s cooled off. Oh, wait, apparently that only applies to crappy guys over 30.

11. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 6:37 pm

As the resident Rays fan (yes, we do exist), I thought I’d chime in on Hammel. Basically, if he keeps the ball low in the zone, he’s good. If he doesn’t, he’s bad. Unfortunately, he’s done the former more this season and it’s hurt him. He does have good stuff, though, and the talent to be a quality MLB pitcher. He throws in the low-90s and can get it into the mid-90s, with an average slider and above average curve, but doesn’t locate them well most of the time.

As for the team itself, they definitely have played better lately, although they could of very easily swept Boston at Fenway, and managed to blow the final two games. What’s amazing is that, as bad as the Rays have been record wise, they have two studs at the top of the rotation in Kazmir in Shields. Both sport 12-8 records, both have excellent peripherals, and both maintain excellent ratios (for the most part). The team has a ton of young talent, and they’ve just recently started to play consistently to their ability. It won’t be long before the team is a respectable major league franchise, and they are going to surprise some people in the upcoming years.

JMHO, of course. Good luck tonight. I’ll occasionally chime in during the game.

12. msb on September 13th, 2007 6:39 pm

wasn’t it Shields that Dave thought would be a good pick-up?

13. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:43 pm

#9: haha, I type fast, that’s the problem. . .

14. kenshabby on September 13th, 2007 6:44 pm

Remind me, to whom should we direct correspondence regarding our, ahem, “unhappiness” with McLaren?

12 – No, it was J.P. Howell. I was an advocate of picking up Shields, but Dave said that Shields is completely off-limits.

15. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 6:44 pm

Maybe he was talking about Scot Shields? Tampa would never trade James Shields. He’s a strike throwing, innings eating machine. And his changeup is godly.

16. chimera on September 13th, 2007 6:46 pm

What Dave said in #10. Damn straight.

17. chimera on September 13th, 2007 6:49 pm

I’m not going to bother watching this game. I can do other things. The season is over. Why not get players like AJ in ??? … at least *then* there would be a reason to watch.

18. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 6:54 pm

Good god, I didn’t even notice the Rays lineup tonight. Velandia, Guzman, Casanova, and Norton? That’s pathetic.

19. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:54 pm

I read in Geoff Baker’s blog they are letting Bavasi come back next year as of now. . .

Time to pack it in for ’08, as of now.

20. jefffrane on September 13th, 2007 6:54 pm

And on another note: the Yankees finally managed to lose a game.

21. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:58 pm

#18: That lineup would be bad even in 1999 when every one of them except Guzman were up in the big leagues.

22. Tom on September 13th, 2007 6:59 pm

#10: Bat Adam lead-off next year!!!

23. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 7:00 pm

And Guzman has more holes in his swing than swiss cheese. Not to mention, his defense can’t hold a candle to Iwamura’s. That lineup is just awful.

24. Tom on September 13th, 2007 7:01 pm

#23: Which means Weaver will give up about 4 runs on 10 hits and 3 BB through 6+ innings.

25. davepaisley on September 13th, 2007 7:05 pm

We only need Tom to start giving us traffic reports in McCall, ID to complete the Corco cloning experiment.

26. john on September 13th, 2007 7:08 pm

#3

“As much as I favor veterans and don’t really see a great future for Adam Jones”

Please just pack it up. If I wanted to read tripe, I would read the PI Blog…

27. john on September 13th, 2007 7:13 pm

Earth to the Mariner ownership –

The people that you hire to run your organization hire like minded people. Thats the way businesses work. McClaren, who doesn’t understand how to effectively manage (successful managing doesn’t involve creating friendships with subordinates, it involves demanding respect from them – respect that is earned through competent decisions and success, both of which aren’t occuring now), is a subordinate of Bavasi, who in turn is of Lincoln and Armstrong.

Don’t look now but your apple is rotten at the core and your profits won’t taste so delicious in the near future.

28. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:14 pm

OMG!!! Hammel went to South Kitsap!!!! OMGYG2BK!!!!!

29. kmsandrbs on September 13th, 2007 7:15 pm

I know that BA is NOT a good indicator of whether a player is a good hitter or not …

but just for fun, the Mariners ENTIRE line-up tonight does not sport one person batting under .280 for the season.

30. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:18 pm

[Sims]

31. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:19 pm

If the M’s don’t beat a tired D-Rays team, I don’t know how they can still spin a “we are still in it” line to the press and fans.

32. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow, Carlos Pena has 39 HRs.

33. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 7:23 pm

Entering this season, who would you have rather had: Carlos Pena or Hee Seop Choi? They were ranked about equal (as in “equally undesirable”) … funny how one exploded and one disappeared.

34. davepaisley on September 13th, 2007 7:24 pm

#30 – a lot of the lineup? I thought it was just Sexson still hurt, so Broussard at first, Lopez still in the doghouse, so WFB at second.

Resting who, exactly?

35. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:25 pm

#31– well, match the way they hit vs a non-tired Hammels…

36. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 7:25 pm

Interesting how Tampa Bay has decided not to worry about Delmon Young’s power shortcomings and just leave him alone. A lot of teams could learn from that.

37. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:26 pm

#34 — The D-Rays are the ones who are resting, and still able to score on Weaver in the 1st.

38. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 7:28 pm

Looks like tonight may be a vintage Weaver night. We all better pray for the offense.

39. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:28 pm

20 pitches for Weaver. Is it possible for an M’s pitcher, particularly a starter, to get out of an inning without using over 15 pitches?

40. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 7:29 pm

Delmon will hit for more power as soon as he stops being so aggressive at the plate. His power is phenomenal, but it’s hard to get good swings on the ball when you swing at every thing.

41. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 7:29 pm

Looks like tonight may be a vintage Weaver night. We all better pray for some offense.

And yea, I have no idea why AJ isn’t be in the line up. My god Mac is a SFB.

42. Dave on September 13th, 2007 7:29 pm

If you’ll recall, a couple of years ago, at our Safeco Q&A with Bavasi, I asked him about why he chose Carl Everett over guys like Carlos Pena who was a younger, cheaper, similar type of hitter with upside.

Bavasi talked about how Pena couldn’t hit in the middle of an order and Carl Everett could.

That was fun.

43. pumpkinhead on September 13th, 2007 7:29 pm

Ichiro’s throw was… “Just a bit outside”. Was pretty far off the mark on the play at home.

44. timc on September 13th, 2007 7:31 pm

Did Ichiro just swing at two balls 2 inches off the ground? Gameday says yes.

45. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 7:31 pm

Dave – I am sure Bavasi is regretting that decision now…and for some reason FO still hasn’t figured out that playing people with talent rather than crappy veterans is how to win games.

46. eponymous coward on September 13th, 2007 7:31 pm

But Mac IS giving chances! Look, he started Willie! Because he HUSTLES!

47. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:32 pm

apparently, Hammel is yet another Mariner ‘draft and follow’ pitcher

48. gk91 on September 13th, 2007 7:34 pm

34 The Rays are resting. They got in at 4am, although maybe the Ms were out celebrating their ‘playoff like’ win until 4 also.

49. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:34 pm

#46– I thought he was starting Willie B because everyone know those Port Orchard hitters just kill Port Orchard pitchers.

50. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:35 pm

Despite Guillen’s single, I still have no idea why he bats fourth against a righty.

51. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 7:35 pm

Dave and Rick were just explaining why JMac is
    such a genius and it’s working out just great
    to never play the young ones, ever, ever, ever.

Because “you never know what can happen” and
    you “have to ride the ones that got them here”
    etc. etc. etc.

I want to beat my head against a wall.

52. Tek Jansen on September 13th, 2007 7:36 pm

MLB.com gameday took away the strikezone box around homeplate and the batter. Did umps complain about called strikes and balls that did not align with the Gameday version of the strikezone?

53. davepaisley on September 13th, 2007 7:37 pm

#37 – my bad. It’s easy to lose track of who’s traveling where when you’re in Hawaii :)

Interesting to see that coolstandings.com has the AL all stitched up (all top 4 teams have playoff percentages over 95%) and Detroit, the 5th team is at a mere 6.9%, while the NL still has 8 teams with double digit chances (down to LA at 10%).

So the M’s announcers are till scoreboard watching? They must be excited that NYY and LAA both lost today.

54. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 7:38 pm

Per usual with Hammel, if he locates well, he’s good, if he doesn’t, he gets hit hard.

55. VaughnStreet on September 13th, 2007 7:40 pm

I’m sure the Ms announcers have been told to pretend the team is still in the pennant race.

56. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:40 pm

sadly, watching Blow illustrate pitches is more interesting than watching Weaver pitch.

57. joser on September 13th, 2007 7:41 pm

I just dropped in here to ask a question, as I stopped following games when Rick White stepped onto the field in Cleveland — and that’s from someone who watched or at least listened to games right through the end of September the past three years. I’m still reading the “post season” posts, but the game threads… ugh. But it’s the only way I can ask an off-topic question… and it actually relates to that game in Cleveland as well as last night — the two games where Jones hit HRs. My understanding is that both of them were to right, or right center. Now, is that Jones being smart (and skilled)? Or is that luck and small samples? What did his scatter look like with the Rainiers (is that data available for MiLB?) I don’t think it matters much which way you hit the ball in Jacobs Field, but obviously in Safeco if you can tailor your swing to hit to right you’re going to have much more success with slugging.

58. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:41 pm

do you think anyone tells Neihaus to do anything?

59. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 7:44 pm

Oh my God — Dave: How many seams on a baseball?

60. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 7:44 pm

I have a question, who do you think will have a brighter future, Wladimir Balentien or Adam Jones? My friend thinks Wlad will and Jones will just be mediorce, but i disagree and think Jones will be better?

61. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 7:45 pm

On the other hand, the leave-him-alone-and-don’t-worry-about-him approach hasn’t really worked with Edwin Jackson. If you guys are running the club, do you see something in Jackson worth trying to salvage at this point?

62. theraven on September 13th, 2007 7:47 pm

I wonder if opposing hitters look at their upcoming schedule and say “yay, we’re playing the Mariners next and can pad our stats a little bit.”

63. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 7:47 pm

Who foresaw Brendan Harris as a worthy reclamation project? I honestly thought he was a Bloomquist at best.

64. timc on September 13th, 2007 7:48 pm

Now that the M’s are out of the race, I have no problems with seeing Weaver get pummeled, thereby decreasing the chances that the M’s re-sign him.

65. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 7:48 pm

Greg Norton = Tampa’s Nick Punto. If that.

66. theraven on September 13th, 2007 7:48 pm

I can hear the postgame comments by McLaren already, “He really didn’t pitch bad, just a ground ball here and there that got through. He’s no Horacio Ramirez, but as terms of athletic ability, Weaver is 100x better than Adam Jones.”

67. Joe on September 13th, 2007 7:49 pm

Did you listen to the “John MacLaren Show” pre-game? Dave N asked, and I think this is an exact quote: “At this point are you going to accept the inevitable and play the kids more?”

I just about drove off the road, jaw agape. I couldn’t believe he said that. MacLaren came back with the old “We’re not out of it yet and I think you have to play the guys that brought you to where you are — they earned it. We’re working with the kids, we work with them every day, and they’re getting acclimated to the whole major league life, and I think there’s some value to that…” and blah blah blah.

Dave came back and apologized for using the word “inevitable” — I expect he was getting some furious looks from other people in the studio. But he definitely used it. And he definitely was asking hopefully if we would see more of the rookies.

So essentially, everybody knows the season is over but they can’t admit it lest there be some deluded soul left at Safeco who will only stop coming when they actually come out and say they have no chance. I don’t think that person exists, personally, and I think they might attract a little more interest at this point by playing the kids and talking up their stories. If nothing else it would give the announcers some new material to cover when the bullpen is giving up grand slams and the game is long past being in doubt. But hey, I’m not in sports marketing.

68. pumpkinhead on September 13th, 2007 7:49 pm

I would expect nothing less from Weaver.

69. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:49 pm

do I have to post the Official Mariner Cartoon again???

70. pumpkinhead on September 13th, 2007 7:50 pm

Maybe he can underhand it in for a strike.

71. chief on September 13th, 2007 7:51 pm

#62 Naw, they say they can pad their stats a lot!

72. theraven on September 13th, 2007 7:51 pm

Willie tells Weaver “Throw a strike or I’ll grit you.”

73. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 7:52 pm

67 – But during the game Dave N went right back to mouthing the company line and backing up JMac as the managerial genius he is.

WFB with wise words of wisdom for Weaver. . .

74. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 7:53 pm

I love Blowers’ defense of MacLaren, too, when he said “blah blah blah gotta go with the guys who are grinding it out…”

Dude, they suck. They’ve been dropping games left and right. They’re not grinding anything out.

75. theraven on September 13th, 2007 7:54 pm

I’m starting to think we should just start relievers instead of the starters. Ramirez at least got 5 outs, right? Or was it 4 as well?

76. fetish on September 13th, 2007 7:54 pm

Well, no Jones.

Like I mentioned before, I don’t think Jones is any great shakes. I think Mike Cameron is his potential. Cameron was a fine player, but he’s wasn’t a perennial all-star. And like Cameron, I think that Jones will probably find modest success with some other ballclub.

But even given that assessment, we’re essentially giving his playing time to Willie Bloomquist. Now, Willie Bloomquist isn’t nearly as good as Jones, and nor is he “hot”. The difference between his and Vidro’s defense (or sitting Vidro, resting him up for next year or some other excuse) isn’t as important as Jones getting his shot to play a full week or two worth of baseball.

77. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 7:55 pm

I must say, Mothership Wit is an excellent Witbier. Thank you, New Belgium!

78. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 7:55 pm

They’re grinding something out but it’s not pretty.
    Turd sausage, maybe?

79. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:55 pm

what’s Boras going to put in Jeff Weaver’s off-season Sales Portfolio?

80. eponymous coward on September 13th, 2007 7:57 pm

Wow, Jeff, way to improve your free agent value.

81. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 7:57 pm

“I think they might attract a little more interest at this point by playing the kids and talking up their stories. If nothing else it would give the announcers some new material to cover when the bullpen is giving up grand slams and the game is long past being in doubt. But hey, I’m not in sports marketing.”

Remember Bucky? Felix? Sometimes the kids get incredible press – as long as you play them.

82. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 7:57 pm

LOL this has got to be the season low point.

83. pumpkinhead on September 13th, 2007 7:57 pm

I don’t recall a worse display of pitching abilities.

84. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 7:58 pm

Delmon really pisses me off sometimes. Soooooo godamn aggressive. Take a pitch, son.

85. theraven on September 13th, 2007 7:58 pm

There we go, we were just walking the players that weren’t a good matchup. We wanted that double play ball and were going to keep walking guys until we found the right guy to hit it.

86. Flowin on September 13th, 2007 7:59 pm

Weavers Line:

1.1 IP
    5 ER
    6 H
    2 BB
    1 K

87. msb on September 13th, 2007 7:59 pm

sadly, I don’t think ‘play the ones who brung ya’ is the company line– you hear the same think out of former players who don’t have an affiliation with the team

88. Dave on September 13th, 2007 7:59 pm

If you think Mike Cameron is Adam Jones’ absolute upside, then no one should really care what you think.

89. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 8:00 pm

w/r/t Jones — even if Jones has Cameron’s career, we should be overjoyed. That’d be great to have that kind of defense with Cameron’s peak offense while he’s under team control. That’s exactly the kind of premium young player you can build a core around.

90. kenshabby on September 13th, 2007 8:01 pm

79 – 2006 World Series hero. 2007: struggled with injuries for most of season and was unusually ineffective. Will bounce back great for 2008.

91. timc on September 13th, 2007 8:01 pm

I was kinda hoping for another walk for a walking grand slam.

I’ve wondered why, with the expanded rosters, the team doesn’t try having 3-4 guys go max effort for the Weaver and HoRam starts.

92. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:02 pm

mentioning cartoons reminded me that I hadn’t looked at Choi Hoon’s baseball cartoons this year … and there is this one from when the Ms were still in the race (you know, two weeks ago)

I never know what the darned things say, but you can usually tell what they mean.

93. john on September 13th, 2007 8:02 pm

And Ibanez, Vidro, Broussard, Sexson, Etc. are better than a young Mike Cameron?

Wow. Just wow.

Go Vets!

94. lailaihei on September 13th, 2007 8:02 pm

Actually, he did get all of that one. Unfortunately all of a ball from Vidro aint much.

95. pumpkinhead on September 13th, 2007 8:02 pm

Woah!! Vidro actually has power. Didn’t exactly direct that power the right way, but still.

Astounding.

96. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:03 pm

Can someone tell me where the “staff of aces” are on this team?

97. eponymous coward on September 13th, 2007 8:05 pm

95- Maybe someone has a pack of playing cards in his back pocket?

98. Dave on September 13th, 2007 8:07 pm

Also, just for fun, David Wells has thrown three scoreless innings so far tonight giving him a 3.15 ERA since joining the Dodgers.

Clearly, he has nothing left to offer to a major league team, and when we suggested picking him up, we were showing our ignorance.

99. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 8:08 pm

We’re on the internet, and thus without insight or credibility.

100. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:09 pm

Will you guys be quiet so we can watch the veteran guys who got us here grind this one out?

101. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 8:10 pm

No lie … people think “New York Vinnie” is a serious baseball analyst. Because he’s always had a conventional media platform for his blather.

102. kenshabby on September 13th, 2007 8:10 pm

This has quickly degenerated from a “break out the champagne” season to a “stumble down to the corner AM/PM and pick up another half-rack of Pabst Blue Ribbon” season.

103. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:10 pm

#95– here?

104. Thom Jimsen on September 13th, 2007 8:11 pm

Anybody think Elijah Dukes will make it back?

The upside to bringing him back: His kids will inflate Tropicana attendance figures by at least 10 percent.

105. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:12 pm

101… I can never make out his commentary between his swallowing of entire “Alfy’s” pizzas.

106. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:14 pm

We’re on the internet, and thus without insight or credibility.

well duh, Derek. why, most every morning I am told by the radio that the only safe place to go on the internet for Mariner information is Baker, because he is actually with the team every day.

107. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:14 pm

Tropicana attendance will go up once the Rays put a halfway competitive team on the field. The city of Tampa has good fans, and it’s a terrific baseball area, but when the team isn’t ever worth a damn, it’s hard to get excited over the team.

And Dukes should of been outright released a long time ago. I don’t care what ‘upside’ he has, the kid’s a total head case.

108. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:14 pm

BJ Upton is from my hometown. Go BJ!

109. Dave on September 13th, 2007 8:14 pm

Niehaus: “B.J. Upton, also a pretty good shortstop.”

Actually, he was diastrously bad at shortstop – so bad that he hasn’t played an inning there this year. He was probably the worst defensive second baseman in baseball before they finally gave up and stuck him in center field.

110. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:15 pm

BJ Upton looks like he has an entire chewed up hamburger in his mouth.

111. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:16 pm

DAMMIT, MIKE, DON’T ASK DAVE QUESTIONS!

112. vern on September 13th, 2007 8:16 pm

I love the history lesson from Dave.

113. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:17 pm

Upton should of been put in CF a long time ago, he’s a natural out there. It’s also cleared his head offensively and helped him out tremendously at the plate.

That’s Tampa management’s fault that he was stuck in the IF for such a long time. He had terrible footwork and mechanics, and he doesn’t have to worry about such things in the OF.

114. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:18 pm

Abner Doubleday also founded Doubleday books.

115. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:18 pm

I bet they have a hat full of wacky anecdotes that they pull out and force Dave to read so that he wont say crazy sh$t like playing Adam Jones is “inevitable”.

116. kenshabby on September 13th, 2007 8:18 pm

Weaver’s season has been the very definition of bell curve. Or, maybe more like spike curve.

117. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:20 pm

Abner Doubleday also split the atom, invented Wonder Bread and founded the Tour de France.

118. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:20 pm

you know, you combine the end of a season with terrible games and that young pup Mike in the booth, and it becomes going to a baseball game with garrulous Grandpa Dave.

119. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:22 pm

Jorge Velandia, he of the .151 career ML average, is killing you guys. Sorry about that.

120. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:23 pm

#116– more like a spike in the head.

121. Teej on September 13th, 2007 8:25 pm

Not that it matters in our evaluation of how he might have helped the Mariners, but he’s also 2-for-2 with a double. I love David Wells.

122. Teej on September 13th, 2007 8:25 pm

Oops, missed a tag. My bad.

123. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:27 pm

[Sims]

124. jlc on September 13th, 2007 8:28 pm

Did Blowers just say Weaver had it early in the game?

125. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:30 pm

Wow this Weaver guy Blowers speaks of sounds good.
    Blowers says he is a veteran too.
    Can we re-sign him at say 13 million a year for 3-4 years?

126. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:30 pm

Abner Doubleday also, of course, invented Doublemint Gum.

127. jlc on September 13th, 2007 8:31 pm

Abner Doubleday is the godfather of the Double Play Twins.

128. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:33 pm

I think he said one of his pitches was there early in the game.

Hoon’s take on the AL impact & disappointing players– Pena & Sexson are both featured. Dang, I wish I read Korean.

129. jlc on September 13th, 2007 8:35 pm

msb, thanks for the correction. I still have trouble with the concept of “early in the game” in this situation.

130. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:39 pm

Vets: “I thought we were going to see Matlock!”

131. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:40 pm

#129– hey, how much earlier can you get than the 1st inning? :)

well, apparently the Ms were doomed this year–

any one know anyone who reads Korean?

132. Karen on September 13th, 2007 8:40 pm

Yeah, I wish we had preview boxes…

133. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:41 pm

Delmon is such a hacker.

134. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:42 pm

131 – Cant help you, but it looks like Bavasi really ticked off Super Mario.

135. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:43 pm

And Sean White is shutting us down. I know the lineup tonight blows and all, but c’mon.

136. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:44 pm

I didn’t know the Devil Rays had fans.

137. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:44 pm

The Rays have lots of fans.

138. JMHawkins on September 13th, 2007 8:45 pm

And yet they’re being shut out by a guy with a 6.75 ERA

139. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:46 pm

Do the Rays have more fans than I have fingers?

140. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:46 pm

D’oh!

141. jlc on September 13th, 2007 8:47 pm

I’m a Rays fan when they play the Yankees.

142. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:48 pm

I don’t know, Georgia, I’d of asked the same of Mariners fans before 1995.

143. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:49 pm

How about those Bucaneers? How have they been doing lately?

144. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:51 pm

They stink, but then again, this isn’t about the Bucs. It’s about people unfairly criticizing Rays fans for not supporting a franchise that’s never given them a reason to cheer for them.

As a native of Seattle, and a former M’s fan myself, I can safely say that the Trop is a lot like the Kingdome was before the M’s started winning.

145. rcc on September 13th, 2007 8:51 pm

Sims just said that Willie has his 39th start of the season in this game….so how many has Adam Jones had this year? McLaren is an idiot.

Are the other young guys brought up in the September call up here so they can get a good seat in the dugout to watch the game or will McLaren actually play them at some point this month?

146. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 8:52 pm

I’d really like to know what this one is about.

147. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 8:53 pm

I have never criticized Rays fans. I didn’t know there were any.

And why would you abandon the M’s? I live in NYC but would never
    be caught dead rooting for the teams out here.

148. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:55 pm

I see that at the start of the year, Hoon thought the Angels would take the West, and also that some organizations produce pitchers. I like the drawing of Jamie…

149. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:58 pm

I left Seattle in 1984 and I haven’t lived there for years. Over time, I drifted away from them, not because I didn’t like watching them anymore, but because the Bay Area was so far away from Seattle, and it was hard to keep up with teams back then that were located across the country.

I guess as a Rays fan, I see a lot of what the M’s used to be like.

150. msb on September 13th, 2007 8:58 pm

#146– damfino, but apparently the Ms have no superheroes.

151. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 8:58 pm

BTW, nice sarcasm with the ‘I didn’t know they had fans’ comment. It is what it is.

152. Brian-No-Relation-To-Matt-Thornton on September 13th, 2007 9:00 pm

Did anyone else catch Neihaus going on and on about Abner Doubleday? He got it right how Doubleday didn’t invent baseball, but then turns around and mentions almost off-handedly that Doubleday WAS in command at Ft. Sumter in Charleston Habor when the Civil War started.

I’ll bet that would have been news to Major Robert Anderson, the US Army officer who was *actually* in command of Ft. Sumter when the South Carolina militia opened fire on the fort.

*sigh*

153. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:00 pm

Lord, the Rays are wasting opportunities in this game.

154. Lauren, token chick on September 13th, 2007 9:02 pm

The thing about Betancourts… they bounce!

155. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:03 pm

this would be a fun game if they weren’t 5 in the hole by the end of the 2nd.

156. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:03 pm

never mind.

157. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 9:04 pm

Abner Doubleday also invented German chocolate cake.

158. naviomelo on September 13th, 2007 9:04 pm

153 – Aren’t there any Rays blogs out there with game threads?

159. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:06 pm

Sure are, thus why I’m posting at both USSM and raysbb.com.

FWIW, I’m not trying to start an argument here. I just get tired of all the ‘the Rays don’t have any fans’ posts.

160. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:07 pm

mmm. cake.

161. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:08 pm

Few know that Abner Doubleday also defeated Alexander the Great, wrote Beethoven’s 9th Symphony and in his senile final days, claimed to be a devotee of a great new force to come, the “Saytanne Raies Near Forte Lauderdayle”.

162. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:11 pm

there you go. out of [Sims]‘ mouth: “the Mariners are still mathematically in it, but you have to be the greatest optimist to think … “

163. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 9:11 pm

“Li’l Abner” Doubleday was quite the man.

164. lailaihei on September 13th, 2007 9:11 pm

The Rays have fans. But knowing that you never have a chance for playoffs must suck…

165. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:11 pm

We’re waaaaay past that. It’s Thunderbird time (perhaps the City of Seattle saw this coming when they banned the sale of “fortified” libations in the area near Safeco). It’s unfortunate the Big Time Brewery discontinued their “Ave Rat” malt liquor right before the M’s went into their death spiral.

166. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:12 pm

2007 – Attendance — Tampa Bay, 30 of 30

30 Tampa Bay 75 1,221,640 16,288

167. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:15 pm

The Rays have more prospects than the M’s ever did through most of the Kingdome days. With decent ownership (which they might now have), a better home stadium, and some smart marketing, they could go far. Alas, they’re in the AL East.

168. sankthetank on September 13th, 2007 9:16 pm

#166: give it up. There’s few (if any) markets who would draw at all with the success Tampa has had and their stadium. It’s apples and oranges, dude.

169. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:16 pm

And the Mariners before 1995 had a lot of years when they were last or second to last in attendance. Again, you expect fans to show up when the franchise have never given you any hope?

And I don’t buy the argument that the Rays can’t compete in the AL East. The Sox and Yankees will have down years, and sooner than you think.

170. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:18 pm
  171. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:18 pm

God awful night by Delmon. He’s just up there hacking at anything.

172. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 9:19 pm

Again with the Mac defense. We get it, we get it.

173. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 9:21 pm

The thing about that particular defense, which talked about how we will get to see the kids (when? when if not now?) is that they went on and on about Broussard… who is playing because Sexson can’t.

As if playing Broussard somehow makes up… ARRGGHH

174. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:21 pm

Those Hoon toons are great. I could print them out and run across the street to ask the guy in the convenience store to translate them (Seriously. There’s a convenience store across the street and the family that runs it is Korean. I think I’ve even heard the M’s game on the radio when I’ve been in there).

But maybe it would be more fun to go all MST3K on them and make up our own English translations?

175. JR Ewing on September 13th, 2007 9:21 pm

152, 161 you gonna lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

176. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:22 pm

Don’t get mad at the numbers!

If the Rays have the least fans, they have the least fans.
    I’m just pointing out they are a rare and exotic species.

Wow Blowers is showing more passion about Ben Broussard playing over any young guy than anything else all game. He sounded morose and comatose until he just started yelling about that.

177. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:23 pm

Dave, has Delmon’s season discouraged you about his future at all? I know you loved him down in the minors, but he’s had kind of a ‘meh’ rookie season. He’s got a lot of hits, but has a pretty empty average, and he hacks at everything. His arm in the OF has been a weapon, but I knew you were a fan of his, so I wanted to get what you thought of him.

178. Paul L on September 13th, 2007 9:24 pm

WRT the Mac defense, in general when you hear people being that defensive over something it’s because they know they’re defending the indefensible and try to make up for it by repeating the same argument over and over and over

The funny thing is that the example Blowers used with him and Chavez supports playing the youngsters, not benching them.

179. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:24 pm

The Rays have more fans than you think, they just disguise themselves in Yankees and Sox gear. Lots of front runners in the Tampa area.

We’ll just drop it and move on. It’s not a huge deal, and I’m overreacting about it.

180. VaughnStreet on September 13th, 2007 9:24 pm

Gee I wonder what it would be like to lose four games in a row to the worst team in baseball. At this point a losing season (80-82? 79-83? 76-86?) is a distinct possibility. So much for Veteran Experience. I’m guessing Bumblevasi keeps his job, but McLosin’ is gone.

181. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:24 pm

ah. and Manny

182. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:26 pm

Note: Dave did not say playing Adam Jones was “inevitable” — the way he posed the question, he was saying that missing the postseason was “inevitable” and, given that, he asked if we would see the kids play. And MacLaren basically answered that until the M’s are mathematically eliminated, he would play the veterans. So really, at this point, you almost want the M’s to lose and the Yankees to win just so we can get this over with asap and see some new and interesting faces. I wonder if MacLaren realizes that’s where his “strategy” is leading us?

183. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:26 pm

even the ‘worst team in baseball’ can play well, and the Rays came in with a better recent record than the Ms. I think everyone has a better record than the Ms of late.

184. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:27 pm

Hold the presses, Blowers “thinks we’re going to see some changes in the rotation”.

No, really?

185. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:28 pm

#182– which is what Blowers was saying, too, that until they are officially out, you can’t ask the vets to step aside (and that the vets shouldn’t want to step aside)

do two Aussies outweigh two Kitsapians?

186. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:29 pm

Rule book double, not ground rule. Sigh.

187. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 9:30 pm

Here’s the thing: I know that the broadcast crew’s job is to promote the team. I get it. And I might argue that there are better ways to do it, but whatever. The rare moments where they challenge the team that show any kind of independent thought are to be treasured.

But it doesn’t have to be sooooo ridiculous. It’s fine to gloss this over. But don’t insult us.

188. Lauren, token chick on September 13th, 2007 9:30 pm

That’s my boy!

189. Paul L on September 13th, 2007 9:30 pm

You know what’s funny? I feel like they’re talking to this blog :)

190. Lauren, token chick on September 13th, 2007 9:32 pm

Thank Whoever for the existence of Ichiro, who almost singlehandedly keeps me interested in the death throes.

191. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:33 pm

That’s what happens when you walk the awfulness that is Willie Blumquist. After two straight nights of big leads being blown, I don’t need anymore of this.

192. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:36 pm

If the broadcast crew is talking to this blog, they’re being absurdly condescending. They talk as if there audience were 8 year olds who have paid no attention to the Mariners over the last couple years.

193. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:36 pm

well, that was not good.

194. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:37 pm

I know Ichiro doesn’t get two hits every game, it just seems like it. And he does have those cold Aprils. But sheesh, once the guy gets going it’s seriously ridiculous. Facing a guy with league-leading ERA? Two hits. Crazy rookies he’s never seen before? Two hits. Aussie reliever, killer closer, any reliever at all? Two hits.

195. VaughnStreet on September 13th, 2007 9:37 pm

It really makes me stand up and cheer to see the Mariners come back from six down against the worst team in baseball, and now we’re only down by four!! And… double play.

196. fetish on September 13th, 2007 9:38 pm

Interesting off-season?

for whom? Except for the A-Rod paper-chase, I don’t even sniff any nice trades going down. It’s going to take major creativity and chutzpah to make the ’08 Mariners look any different from the ’07 Mariners. Even with the mediocrity of the available FA pitchers – they’re decisive upgrades over Weaver and Ramirez, likely upgrades over Batista (who is at least serviceable) and perhaps a marginal upgrade over Washburn (who is at least left-handed and serviceable).

197. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:38 pm

That was a big DP. Balfour has been awful lately after looking pretty damn good since the Rays acquired him.

198. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 9:38 pm

It must be Star Wars Appreciation Night. There’s a wookie with an I (heart) Beltre sign in attendance.

199. lailaihei on September 13th, 2007 9:40 pm

198: Red! I haven’t even noticed him yet tonight…

200. theraven on September 13th, 2007 9:40 pm

#195, According to the ESPN.com preview the Ms had a 52% chance of winning; which, considering they’re playing at home against the Devil Rays, is pretty pathetic. Of course, it also said Richie had a 21% chance of hitting a home run and I’m pretty sure he won’t be playing at all the next 9 games or so.

201. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:40 pm

What would make the offseason interesting is to get Weaver to bulk up and pull an Ankiel — transform him into a power-hitting DH!

202. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:41 pm

did Simms say that Red had brought the Beltre Bobblehead again?

203. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:42 pm

That “Manny Being Manny” cartoon is fantasic. It even references “The Greatest Play of All Time. But I really, seriously want to know what is being said in the panel where it appears Ortiz is talking to Manny while Manny is sitting on the toilet with a roll of toilet paper.

204. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:42 pm

I liked the drawing of Weaver in the #131 cartoon.

205. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:46 pm

you know, if you pretend Weaver isn’t in the rotation, then we are watching a 3-2 game with some cool defense and more Ichiro! hits …

206. jlc on September 13th, 2007 9:49 pm

msb – Now you’ve got it. You’re thinkin’ like a Mariner manager!

207. theraven on September 13th, 2007 9:50 pm

#205 You know, if you pretend that Weaver and Ramirez aren’t in the rotation, and McLaren isn’t the manager, then we’re leading the Wild Card race!

208. Joe on September 13th, 2007 9:50 pm

Who does the Tampa pitcher think he is — Brandon Morrow?

209. theraven on September 13th, 2007 9:51 pm

Do I hear a little Kashmir playing at the stadium?

210. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 9:51 pm

And clearly, the Rays are intent on blowing a third straight game in which they had a comfortable lead.

211. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:53 pm

ah, Seattle. Home of Bad Dancing.

212. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 9:54 pm

killa, the Mariners have not been up to the task of receiving gifts from anyone lately. If I were you, I wouldn’t sweat it.

213. jlc on September 13th, 2007 9:55 pm

I love Sims’ popular culture references. Time seems to have stopped for him in the 1970s.

214. davepaisley on September 13th, 2007 9:56 pm

Sure the Rays have fans. There’s that guy that shouts weird stuff all the time that we can hear on Mariners road games there. Of course, you can hear him easily because of the echo and general lack of competitive noise.

And I have one word that could dramatically improve Tropicana – I-M-P-L-O-S-I-O-N

215. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 9:59 pm

Mister DP…

216. msb on September 13th, 2007 9:59 pm

speaking of shouting, what is with the sudden loud voice yelling next to the booth this inning? he was exhorting Ben to hit a home run when the inning started…

217. theraven on September 13th, 2007 10:00 pm

As only a veteran could do!

218. abender20 on September 13th, 2007 10:01 pm

Is it wrong that as of today I’m rooting with the mariners to lose because I want to make sure Bavasi and Maclaren are canned?

And how is Horacio still starting. I’m sure someone in the minors or RR-S would be just as good and most likely better… where is the hope for the future?

219. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 10:01 pm

Loud voice was yelling at Ben to hit a grad slam. With only 2 men on base, that would have been impressive.

220. lailaihei on September 13th, 2007 10:01 pm

Is it just me or is Kenji hitting the ball oppo field more?

221. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:02 pm

when did Jeremy Reed become the pinch hitter of choice?

222. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:02 pm

218: Yes it is wrong.

223. abender20 on September 13th, 2007 10:02 pm

221 – When Adam Jones started hitting and therefore cant possibly merit playing time.

224. theraven on September 13th, 2007 10:03 pm

#221, I don’t know but it appears that he’s attained semi-veteran status in McLaren’s book.

225. VaughnStreet on September 13th, 2007 10:03 pm

There’s no better time to suck than the present, apparently.

226. abender20 on September 13th, 2007 10:03 pm

Well it may be wrong, but as far as the future of the franchise, how can we accept management and leadership of this variety?

227. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:04 pm

“You take the win”
    “No, I don’t want it, you take it!”
    “What would I do with a win? You need it more than I do”
    “Well, maybe so, but that’s no reason for me to take it away from you”
    “No, seriously….”

228. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:05 pm

ok, JoseL, pay attention!

229. jlc on September 13th, 2007 10:05 pm

218 – I still haven’t seen anything to convince me that one result leads to the other.

230. Lauren, token chick on September 13th, 2007 10:06 pm

YUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuni!

Here, take these U’s that Raul’s not using!

231. theraven on September 13th, 2007 10:06 pm

Wow, that was impressive. I thought Reed was going to be out for sure.

232. Sports on a Schtick on September 13th, 2007 10:06 pm

Yuni strikes again.

233. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:07 pm

226: I didn’t say it wasn’t understandable…go Yuni!

234. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 10:07 pm

Wow good job Betan-clutch!! or whatever the nickname was?

235. G-Man on September 13th, 2007 10:07 pm

I wa wondering why Jimerson or Jones was not the pinch runner of choice, but no matter.

236. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:07 pm

And that hit, with the one last night, probably helps Yuni win… a gold glove. Isn’t that how it works?

237. theraven on September 13th, 2007 10:08 pm

Why is Yuni still batting #9? I haven’t understood that for some time.

238. G-Man on September 13th, 2007 10:08 pm

236, yep, that’s why A-Rod will steal it from Beltre at 3B.

239. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 10:08 pm

Wow.

240. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:08 pm

There’s Red!

241. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:10 pm

Man, check out the crazy Fangraph. TB is coug’ing it.

242. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:10 pm

sorry killa3312. you knew of which you spoke.

243. Reign on September 13th, 2007 10:11 pm

236 – Could Jeter possibly still win it? That would be so ridiculous it might be worth it.

244. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:11 pm

Well, to be fair, A-Rod is doing his job and half of Jeter’s too. Beltre has it easy by comparison. Even if he could out-throw ARod while falling backwards into the dugout.

245. Sports on a Schtick on September 13th, 2007 10:12 pm

Is Dan Wheeler the Devil Ray version of Rick White?

246. George_Argyros_Lives on September 13th, 2007 10:12 pm

I honestly dont believe this. I know it’s too late, but still. Wow!

247. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:12 pm

A-Rod’s got it nailed this year I’m afraid.

248. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:13 pm

#243– oh, of course he could. after all, the GG voters gave it to Palmiero when he was a DH.

249. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 10:13 pm

This bullpen is freakin’ awful.

8-1 lead… gone
    4-0 lead… gone
    7-1 lead… gone

All in consecutive nights.

250. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:13 pm

Cue the AC-DC.

251. davepaisley on September 13th, 2007 10:14 pm

So THAT’S what a sucky bullpen looks like.

252. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:14 pm

Queue?

253. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:15 pm

Why is Yuni still batting #9? I haven’t understood that for some time.

There’s an argument for having speed on the basepaths ahead of Ichiro (you can’t bat him behind Ichiro because he hacks too much). And 9th doesn’t necessarily mean “worst” — some NL teams actually have had the pitcher bat 8th, to put a Betancourt-like hitter in the 9 slot for the same reason.

254. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:15 pm

Cue.

255. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 10:16 pm

You knew when that ball took that ridiculous hop on Harris, something like this would happen. I hate this team sometimes. The bullpen holds them back so much.

256. thefin190 on September 13th, 2007 10:17 pm

131 – Any chance anyone knows what that comics says with Weaver. I am really curious to know, even though I am sure its parodying his Weaverly performances.

257. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:17 pm

Cue was right. Unless you were stacking it up behind other tracks on your iPod.

Putz on two nights back to back. This must feel strange for him. Like some kind of happy memory from long, long ago.

258. DMZ on September 13th, 2007 10:21 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

259. killa3312 on September 13th, 2007 10:22 pm

Pathetic… good night all.

260. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:23 pm

aaaand, the DoublePlay Twins ad

261. 116in01 on September 13th, 2007 10:24 pm

Meaningless or not it’s still good to see them win.

262. theraven on September 13th, 2007 10:24 pm

I dare say, if we win 16 of our next 17 we may have a shot. Umm, yeah, not happening. After tonight’s win you can rest assured that you won’t see Adam Jones get more than 3 ABs for the rest of the year.

263. msb on September 13th, 2007 10:24 pm

nice to hear RRS on the radio, but dang I still miss Snelly.

264. (Expletive) Dave Samson on September 13th, 2007 10:30 pm

Krueger is suggesting that RRS pitch instead of Weaver next time.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

265. Joe on September 13th, 2007 10:45 pm

Well, he can certainly go as many innings as the M’s starters have been managing lately. And if he can’t give a quality start, there’s always RRS in the bullpen to eat up innnings…. oh, wait.

266. Colm on September 13th, 2007 10:47 pm

Every time I see HoRam start I wonder how bad of a pitcher Willie Bloomquist could be. Weaver made me think that tonight too.

267. earinc on September 13th, 2007 10:59 pm

Given how many game-winning hits Yuni’s had in the 9th hole, I’m not sure I’d argue with it. Would he really have any more elsewhere?

268. WardP on September 13th, 2007 11:22 pm

Ichiro has earned a chance to start a game on the mound for this team.

269. Colm on September 13th, 2007 11:23 pm

batting higher than 9th = more at bats
    more at bats = more chances of a game winning hit

Why would you think otherwise?

270. msb on September 13th, 2007 11:23 pm

per JJ, not realizing it was RRS’s first win, he gave away the game-winning baseball and so had to get the ball back from the kid (trading him another ball, and a Beltre-donated bat), then he missed his chance to pie Ryan during his radio interview, and so (alerted by EOF) was forced to race out in his skivvies to catch RRS during the FSN stand-up. It’s a hard job being the closer.

271. kenshabby on September 13th, 2007 11:24 pm

Anyone recall that song “Never Surrender” that was in some Van Damme movie back in the late 80s or early 90s? That song should be played at the end of every M’s home game, even after they’ve been mathematically eliminated.

272. Sports on a Schtick on September 13th, 2007 11:27 pm

I would think “The Final Countdown” would be more appropriate for this squad.

273. earinc on September 13th, 2007 11:41 pm

269: I see your point, but I guess my answer is because nothing about Yuni’s stats indicate that he’d be good in a high-rbi slot (which is where you’d otherwise want you’re game-winning RBI guys to be), and he’s been great in the ninth hole so why change it. But I do see your point, and now that I think about it, I could see Yuni batting a couple slots up. Or even 2nd if he’d stop popping up so much.

By the way, I haven’t read the thread much tonight except for the later posts, and I only saw a few innings of the game, but what do folks think about tonihgt’s lineup? Aside from Willie, and aside from the fact that Jones should have started, and aside from Yuni batting ninth, and aside from the fact that the lineup sucked through much of the game, I liked it. I like sliding Vidro down to six and Beltre at two.

Ichiro and Beltre are the only two M’s regulars I truly enjoy watching hit these days. But now I’m also excited about catching glimpses of Jones, Clement, Balentin, etc.

274. earinc on September 13th, 2007 11:44 pm

“I would think ‘The Final Countdown’ would be more appropriate for this squad.”

I would think the Benny Hill theme would be more appropriate at this point (tonight aside).

275. kenshabby on September 14th, 2007 12:24 am

I just thought “Never Surrender” would be a nice bit o’ sarcasm that some fans would appreciate. Though Beck’s “Loser” might be more appropriate.

276. thefin190 on September 14th, 2007 12:30 am

131 – Nevermind, i translated it on my own…

277. thefin190 on September 14th, 2007 12:31 am

sorry let me try that again

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x188/thefin190/Weaverly.jpg[/IMG]

278. thefin190 on September 14th, 2007 12:31 am

Ok just one more time, sorry.

279. thefin190 on September 14th, 2007 12:33 am

Ok, sorry for wasting comment space, but clearly it seems i can’t post images directly here, sorry guys.

here is a link, worked on it for like an hour and a half, hope you like it

280. joser on September 14th, 2007 12:45 am

You know… Jones had a 3-3 record with a 2.71 ERA as a pitcher in his senior season at high school.

Though Beck’s “Loser” might be more appropriate.
    Tom Petty: “Free Falling”
    Nine Inch Nails: “The Downward Spiral”
    Dreamgirls Soundtrack: “It’s All Over”
    And for the fans… Joan Jett: “I Hate Myself (for Loving You)”

281. mr.smartypants on September 14th, 2007 1:21 am

From the stands, RRS looked really, really good tonight, though it was probably the Rays hacking lineup combined with watching Weave and White before him. Regardless, he threw 94 at times and struck out 5 in just 2.1. Might he be a good starter someday?

282. Karen on September 14th, 2007 2:19 am

#162 msb said “out of [Sims]’ mouth: ‘the Mariners are still mathematically in it, but you have to be the greatest optimist to think …’ “

The “magic number” (elimination number) for the M’s is 9 for the division title, and 12 for the wild card. 17 games to go, 4 head to head with LAA, 10 in Safeco, all on the West Coast.

It’d be nice to see more results from the NYYs like last night, with Toronto basically doing the same thing the M’s did. For the WC, Detroit is 3.5 games back, the M’s 5.5 games back.

Go Red Sox!! :)