Stupidity Never Goes Out Of Style

Dave · October 15, 2007 at 11:49 am · Filed Under Mariners 

Joel Pineiro re-signs with St. Louis – 2 years, $13 million.

Proving that you don’t even have to have a General Manager in place to make bad decisions.


54 Responses to “Stupidity Never Goes Out Of Style”

  1. Matthew Carruth on October 15th, 2007 6:26 pm

    So I went into my 07 DB and pulled out Pineiro’s pitches and sepreated them before and after the trade.

    I think we’ve pretty well established that Pineiro’s nice ERA in StL is the result of 2 things:
    1. LOB% of 79.6%.
    2. Cut his walk rate in half, down to 1.22% of BF.

    Is anyone going to argue that point 1 is anything but a total fluke? His career norm is under 70% and it’s very close to a non-repeatable skill (you have to regress it like 90% and the other 10% basically comes from a pitcher’s K rate, which for Joel, sucks).

    So really, the theory that Joel Pineiro made *any* sort of improvement in St. Louis rests on his reduced walk rate right?

    *Pitches called a ball*
    Joel Pineiro in Boston: 35.04%
    Joel Pineiro in St.Louis: 35.87%

    Guess what that likely means for his walk rate going forward?

  2. JI on October 15th, 2007 7:46 pm

    How many decades before St. Louis is competitive again?

  3. joser on October 15th, 2007 8:17 pm

    Who cares, this generation got their ring. There’s several other teams just in the NL Central who deserve their turns.

  4. galaxieboi on October 16th, 2007 9:33 am

    The way the NL Central has been playing the last several years I’m not sure any of them ‘deserve’ anything.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.