My Thoughts on Dave

Dave · February 19, 2008 at 11:42 pm · Filed Under Mariners

So, since about Sunday evening, I’ve been laid out either in bed or on my couch, getting beaten down by a particularly nasty version of the flu. I haven’t been particularly plugged in to much of anything; just a reality consisting of the aches and pains that the flu drags along with it.

Then, at one point this afternoon, I rolled over and caught the ticker scrolling across the bottom of ESPNews; “Mariners announcer Dave Niehaus will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as winner of the Ford C. Frick award for 2008″. A rare smile crossed my face; my body was still chilly, but my heart was a little bit warmer.

Growing up, our family didn’t have a TV. I read books – every single Hardy Boy book ever published, in fact – and listened to the radio. My parents ran their own business, and often I’d go to work with them in lieu of having a babysitter. I wasn’t particularly interested in auto repair, so I’d find the radio. And in the radio, I found Dave Niehaus. He was usually welcoming me, along with all his other friends that were apparently listening, to a beautiful day out for baseball. It was always a beautiful day out for baseball. Listening to Dave string sentences together, I learned how to love baseball, even without seeing the game be played. His words painted a vivid enough picture for me.

I learned baseball from him. I learned that Jim Presley was terrible, Harold Reynolds was fast, that Alvin Davis was Mr. Mariner, and that the team didn’t have any pitching. They never had any pitching. Through Bill Swift, he taught me what a sinkerball was. Through Scott Bradley, he taught me that catchers could be left-handed. Through John Moses, he taught me that you can give anyone a nickname by just shortening their last name. And through Ivan Calderon, he taught me that hispanic players could have Russian first names.

Dave Niehaus taught me how to be annoyed by Bip Roberts, who seemingly killed us every March in spring training. I knew the games didn’t count, but listening to him call yet another hit for a guy named Bip just got my blood boiling. He taught me how to love Erik Hansen’s curveball, Mike Jackson’s slider, and Henry Cotto’s mustache. He made sure I never called Greg Briley anything but Pee-Wee, and reminded me that Ken Griffey’s real name was just Junior. I remember hearing Dave call Junior’s first at-bat in spring training of ’89, as well as his Opening Day double in Oakland. I didn’t see either of those things happen, but you can’t convince me of that, because the call is etched in my memory stronger than any picture I could stare at.

Dave was the voice of 1994, when the M’s made a furious charge to take the lead in a division race that would never finish. And he was the voice of 1995, when I realized I didn’t care about labor stoppages or player’s unions but just wanted baseball to come back again. He was there on May 26th, when I heard him call Kevin Bass’ shot in the gap that broke Junior’s wrist. He was there on August 24th, when Junior launched a walkoff HR against the invincible John Wetteland to start the miracle run. I have these dates memorized thanks in large part to the audio of Dave’s voice that runs through my head. I can’t separate those moments from his descriptions, not that I would ever want to.

I don’t know Dave Niehaus. I’ve met him once, but I don’t pretend that gives me insight into who he is. All I know is what I’ve seen and heard; the man likes Hawaiian shirts, Lou Piniella, and the squeeze play. But I feel like I know more about him than that. I grew up with him, and he’s involved in more of my childhood memories than anyone whose last name isn’t Cameron. For me, Dave Niehaus was like that cool Uncle who always brought you something fun. He just happened to bring me baseball.

Congratulations Dave – you deserve this. You deserve to know that you taught me, and thousands of people like me, how to love this game and this team, and you did it well. Enjoy Cooperstown; I’m sure July 27th will be a beautiful day out for baseball.

Comments

54 Responses to “My Thoughts on Dave”

1. lailaihei on February 19th, 2008 11:52 pm

I think Dave on Dave would have been a better title.

I agree with the sentiment, though, Niehaus will always be the voice of the Mariners to me.

2. Jerry Pezzino on February 19th, 2008 11:53 pm

Couldn’t have said it better.

3. Tom on February 20th, 2008 1:10 am

MY OH MY!!!

It’s about time!

4. wrob4343 on February 20th, 2008 2:04 am

Let’s hope the M’s don’t find a way to get rid of him now that he’s won an award….but seriously Dave Niehaus shaped my love of baseball the same way. I vividly remember his calls during the ’95 miracle season and at ten that was the greatest thing for me and at 22 it still is now.

5. Breadbaker on February 20th, 2008 3:45 am

Remember the first night at Safeco, when ownership wanted to bring out the intensely unpopular Slade Gorton to throw out the first pitch, but Slade declined because, whatever else he’d done for the Mariners he knew he’d be booed? Then suddenly we realized it wasn’t going to be Slade, it was going to be Dave, and there was a collective sigh of relief from the capacity crowd: the one man in Mariner history on whose contribution to the franchise everyone could agree was getting this great honor.

On a Thursday night against Kansas City, miles from the pennant race and while some rookie pitcher with an 8.90 ERA was making mincemeat of our lineup, Dave never tried to pull one over on the fans. The two phrases I would most regret hearing were, “here come the” [usually the A's or Angels] and “that man”, denoting someone who was going to beat our brains out. But Dave was rarely wrong about that; a decade or more of watching losing from the best seat in the house will do that for you. The M’s were about to blow the lead to the team he announced with “here come” and “that man” was going to deliver the big hit (usually after Erik Hanson or Mike Moore had walked the guy in front of him). He took great joy in Mariner comebacks and Mariner holds (I think he admires JJ greatly as the first closer we’ve had who just blows people away instead of putting the tying runs on base and making it close–I’m talking to you, Kaz), but he didn’t overstate that the Thursday night win in August against Kansas City meant more than that our team–and his–had won a game.

Dave makes baseball beautiful; he is the sound of baseball to me.

6. 116in01 on February 20th, 2008 4:05 am

Well said.

7. mpriest13 on February 20th, 2008 5:28 am

Perfect!

8. Jar on February 20th, 2008 6:00 am

you took the words out of my head.

well, I mean, you arranged them a lot better then I could but you get the idea….

9. Spanky on February 20th, 2008 6:21 am

Funnest Grand Slam call in the history of the game: “Bring out the Rye Bread and Mustard Grandma…it’s a Grand Salami time!!” It resonated with the “kid” inside all of us!

10. matthew on February 20th, 2008 6:43 am

This is why I love this website. Thanks Dave :)

11. TumwaterMike on February 20th, 2008 6:53 am

I spent 20 years in the United States Air Force, 10 of it overseas. There were always 2 icons that I always looked forward to, to know I was back in the Pacific Northwest, Mt. Rainier and the voice of Dave Niehaus. They were my comfort food. The baritonic belts of Dave’s “Fly, fly away,” may have have only been surpassed by the actual homerun belts of junior himself. I am extremely glad and humble that the great man is now in the Hall of Fame. Nice guys do finish first. Way to go Dave.

12. TumwaterMike on February 20th, 2008 7:04 am

Your “Dave on Dave” was eloquently written and paid tribute to the one “Hoosier” who is truly a “Washingtonian.” I thought your pice on Niehause was perfect. Thank-you for sharing.

13. Spanky on February 20th, 2008 7:08 am

Oh…and don’t forget…it was Dave at the mic for the most memorable moment in Mariner history when Edgar ripped the double down the line scoring Junior: “…AND HERE COMES JUNIOR…THEY’RE GOING TO WAIVE HIM AROUND THIRD…” That play and his voice is etched in my memory!!

14. Mere Tantalisers on February 20th, 2008 7:09 am

Nice post. I came to love baseball in a similar way, though I was a bit older. I grew up on the wrong side of the iron curtain and was not exposed to baseball until an exceptionally boring M’s game in 1996.

I did not care for the sport at all until I started working nights at a used bookstore in the U-District. One of the regulars was a charismatic and uncharacteristically exuberant English expat of about 60 who loved baseball more than life itself. He would come in and wax eloquent about Junior’s swing, Kaz Sasaki’s mound presence, the ambience at the ballpark… He got me hooked.

For years, almost all my nights were spent in the dusty calm of the Magus with the drone of the crowd and Niehaus’ voice in the background. Everything I know about the game I learned from him. Except what I read about here. I’d say its about even, actually, and I’m very grateful to both him and you guys for it.

15. Mr. Egaas on February 20th, 2008 7:26 am

I always remember Dave’s descriptions getting that much more intense during the late innings of a tight game.

“Junior stepping in, waving that black-stained bat, once, twice, three times…”

16. eternal on February 20th, 2008 7:27 am

Nicely put.

17. Paul B on February 20th, 2008 8:40 am

The other quote, in the line of “it just continues” during that crazy ’95 season, was after the M’s won and advanced, Dave said something like: “you always think it will happen again, but sometimes it never does”.

If I had to sum up the history of the Mariners, in one phrase, I’d use “sometimes it never does”.

18. Mariner Fan in CO Exile on February 20th, 2008 8:50 am

Very well said, Dave.

I have a lot of the same memories. It also didn’t matter too much that you didn’t have a t.v. In the old days a lot of games weren’t on t.v., and we all got to listen to a large portion of our games on the radio.

I remember many nights sitting on my bed staring at the ceiling and listening to Dave call the games. Sometimes, I’d fall asleep listening to a late game during the summer, but it was the best way to drift off. I remember listening to games sitting in the rear-facing seat of our old beat up station wagon with my brother. My dad was good enough to put the games on when we’d drive, even though my mom and sisters probably couldn’t have cared less. I eagerly checked the pocket schedule for when the games would be on, just so I’d be sure to be close to a radio, if possible.

Dave made the plays and the players come alive (and still does). Dave is like that favorite well-worn mitt, that has seen more seasons of baseball than anyone can remember, but the familiar feel makes you excited for the game no matter how old it may be. He knows how to capture a moment in time, and describe it in such vivid detail that, as you say, the pictures of those games are there, even if we’ve never saw them.

Dave deserves this honor. I think it is probably a bit overdue, in fact. I hope I get many more summers of listening to him call games. I hope my kids get to hear him too, even if for just a few years.

19. Desmond on February 20th, 2008 8:54 am

September 12, 1995 (the start of my Senior year of High School), my family had a house fire that destroyed absolutely everything. For the next month or so, we lived in a cheep hotel room, living off of Denny’s gift certificates given to us from the Red Cross. We would usually order out and take a drive listening to Dave call the most exciting games of Mariners history.

Up to that point, I was generally just a baseball fan. My family moved around a lot, so I never really had the opportunity to cling to a certain team; but ever since that ’95 season I have absolutely loved the M’s. When Griffey came back to Seattle last June, and the whole city reflected on that magical season, I too reflected. For the first time I realized the impact the M’s had on my family. We lost everything, yet we had each other, and we had Mariners Baseball. And to Dave Niehaus I’m forever grateful for delivering it in such spectacular fashion.

Thanks Dave.

20. PositivePaul on February 20th, 2008 9:38 am

Admit it, you were named after him…

;-)

Thanks for sharing these thoughts — I’m certain you’re not alone. You just happen to be able to express them a lot more eloquently than a lot of us…

21. Broadcast James on February 20th, 2008 9:59 am

It’s amazing how mant fond memories we have after just one year of Dave Sims….

Seriously though, Mr. Niehaus truly deserves this honor. Dave reminds us of why we love the game of baseball. He helps us forget our frustrations with management and by doing so allows us (or at least me) to get past own own cynicism, if only for a moment, and to once again enjoy the game that we love. With Dave, hope springs eternal.

You Gotta Love This Guy.

22. sass on February 20th, 2008 10:03 am

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Dave. My dad had an old radio that only got the Mariners, and we would listen to the game and work in the garden, or build fence, and it would always stop what we were doing to listen to a “big moment” (which there really weren’t any back then, but Dave made it seem so). It was interesting that you compared Dave to an uncle, because I have made that exact same comparison. I love baseball on the radio better than on TV thanks to Dave, his calls, especially late in the game, built so much tension and excitement that I felt like I was there. I especially loved the way he called Johnson in the single-game playoff with the Angels, “Branding iron hot…And the big man looks to the sky, which is covered by the dome…” Still brings tears to my eyes. Seriously. Congrats Dave, you will always be the Voice of the Mariners.

23. Anna11 on February 20th, 2008 10:11 am

I got to interview Dave Niehaus over the phone for my bachelor’s thesis on Mariners fan culture. (Gotta love liberal arts colleges, right?) I saved the tape. The man has an incredible baseball memory — he was recounting Mariners games from 10, 20 years back. I got the chance to tell Dave that I grew up listening to his voice.

Listening to Dave, I not only hear about great Mariners’ players and plays, but I also get informed about the other team. When I’m at Safeco Field, sometimes I talk to fans of the other team about their players, and they are always surprised by how much Mariners fans know about players on other teams. I think we have Dave Niehaus to thank for that. Sure, he gets more excited when the M’s do something good, but I love how his love of the game comes out by his description of good plays made by our opponents, too.

Thanks, Dave. Congratulations!

24. Derek (not DMZ, but nearly as awesome) on February 20th, 2008 10:40 am

My sister today shared a great Niehaus story she wrote in May 2000. She tells it better than I ever could.

The other part of our loyalty, however, was in group solidarity, expressed no better than through The Voice of the Mariners since The Beginning, Dave Niehaus, a superstar of sports commentary. Niehaus had always been at once a friend as well as a loud and boisterous preacher, able to wax simple philosophic over the state of the team, bear prophetic insight into a player’s performance, and jump and scream ‘til red in the face with excitement better than any of the rest of us. Nothing could get your heart pumping more than when you heard his voice over the FM dial jump instinctively away from the microphone as he yelled, “MY OH MY!” or “IT’S GRAND SALAMI TIME!”

My Oh My!

25. Pete on February 20th, 2008 11:44 am

If you haven’t done it already, or didn’t see it live, I highly recommend watching Dave’s press conference from yesterday over on the Mariners home page. Well worth the 26 minutes.

26. smb on February 20th, 2008 12:11 pm

I’d just like to salute Kevin Cremen as well. Every superstar sportscaster needs a super producer!

27. DMZ on February 20th, 2008 12:21 pm

Isn’t that producer-engineer?

28. smb on February 20th, 2008 12:34 pm

Touche, good call. For a season I was a “runner” for ballpark ops, and one of my jobs was to get the guys in the booth food and drinks from the press cafeteria…just to stand in the booth and watch them all work, listen to the things they say between innings, can’t really put a price on those memories. Sometimes I’d have to get a player for the postgame interview, and I’d have Cremen’s cell phone and be waiting by the dugout, and he’d call and tell me who to get, then as soon as the third out was recorded I’d jump onto the field and get ignored by everyone but Dan Wilson. Ahh, memories. I hate Chuck Knoblauch to this day because of that job.

29. D Truth on February 20th, 2008 12:55 pm

13 – “Swung on AND A LINE DRIVE DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE FOR A BASE HIT!”

“Here comes Joey. HERE COMES JUNIOR TO THIRD BASE! THEY’RE GOING TO WAVE HIM IN!”

“The throw to the plate … will … be … LATE!”

“AND THE MARINERS ARE GOING TO PLAY … FOR THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP! I DON’T BELIEVE IT!”

“IT JUST CONTINUES! MY OH MY!”

30. Logger on February 20th, 2008 1:07 pm

29 – I can’t help getting goose bumps every time I read or hear that.

31. Beniitec on February 20th, 2008 1:49 pm

It is truly an honor that we have had Dave Niehaus for as long as we have. He’s one of a kind. I think we all feel the same way about him. Some of us grew up with a transistor radio under our pillows as we listened to the games after bedtime. I still remember twisting that thing every which way to try and get a better signal…and when I couldn’t hear it anymore I was very disappointed. But I’d leave it on, just in case something happened. Because when Dave would get excited, somehow the radio would start blaring again…and I would know that something had happened. I can’t imagine my childhood, or my love of baseball without Dave’s voice in it. He brought Junior, Arod, Johnson, Edgar, Joey, Buhner, Langston, Presley, Reynolds, Davis, Moses, Henderson, the Bradley’s, Brantley, Quiniones, Tartarbull, Phelps, Hanson, McLemore, Hernandez, Betancourt, Lopez, Ichiro, Sasaki, Doyle, Sexon, Bosio, and many, many more Mariner players to life with his voice. It’s his voice that truly signals that baseball is back for me every year. The blogs are great…but until I hear that voice, it’s still the “offseason”. There’s so many things to say…but it all comes back to the same thing. Dave Niehaus deserves the recognition, and we are blessed to have had him broadcasting M’s games this long. Thanks Dave!

32. Tony2B on February 20th, 2008 1:55 pm

The first three people I heard call games were Dave, Dick Enberg and Vin Scully. (You can imagine how difficult this makes it to listed to “Rico.”) I moved to Seattle as an adult and am a full-fledged Mariners fan now. I love listening to Dave, even though he’s slipped a bit in the last few years. He is still one of the best.

33. Carson on February 20th, 2008 2:09 pm

30 – I’m with you there. I watched the video last night and did indeed get goosebumps.

It’s almost like I’m still waiting for the 1995 World Series to start. Losing to the Indians is not how Cinderella stories are supposed to end..

34. Eleven11 on February 20th, 2008 2:15 pm

“…the sun dappled field on this warm day with the shadows just beginning to lengthen…”, Me knee deep in muck with a shovel. I could picture the field, the players, everything. One sentence. Niehaus is baseball to me.

35. Wilder83 on February 20th, 2008 2:16 pm

24 – Your sister must be an eloquent speaker. However, her writing is not very readable. She almost tries too hard. But if that is the way she speaks, then she a very eloquent person.

As for Dave’s description, we have all been fortunate to be educated by such a great man as Niehaus.

36. OppositeField on February 20th, 2008 2:19 pm

I wish I could find a video of that game 5 online somewhere. I have the tape at my house back in Seattle, but stupidly neglected to bring it to school with me.

37. Philly M's fan on February 20th, 2008 2:28 pm

How about the Feb 5th, 1996 SI issue that talks about the great run that saved baseball in Seattle? People at a wedding reception on Sept 24th were in their cars listening to Dave Niehaus say ” heres comes the pitch to Tino.. swung on and belted!…Deep to right field..and it will be Flying away! The Mariners win it 9-8 in perhaps the most incredible game in their history! and 46,000 fans are losing their minds in Seattle! Tonight, I guarantee you, it will be sleepless in Seattle for everybody who was here today, including me!” Thanks Hall of Fame Dave!

38. Doc Baseball on February 20th, 2008 2:40 pm

A couple ofgreat Niehaus radio clips in an ESPN Caple story, including The Double, Ichiro’s throw, and Grandma….

39. derubino on February 20th, 2008 2:42 pm

You put it perfect, Dave. My fondest memories are listening to Dave announce the Mariners with my little radio while I was camping. I’d sit there with a tennis ball throwing it against the tree pretending to be Brian Holman, Erik Hanson, Greg Briley, Omar Vizquel, Edgar, and Junior. This is like having my grandpa being inducted into the hall.

40. Mister on February 20th, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Dave for that beautifully written tribute.

It’s not his trademark calls that I think fondly on. It’s the descriptions of Kansas City barbecue on a September Sunday afternoon with the M’s 30 games back. It’s his familiar cadence: “Coming around to score is Edgar, right behind him is Blowers and he will score, (voice raises) and digging around third is Amaral and HE will score…” It was his absolute exasperation when Steve Trout couldn’t throw a strike or Milt Wilcox couldn’t get anyone out.

It’s “lashed foul,” “big tow-headed lefthander,” and my favorite, laying in bed as a kid listening to the bottom of the ninth, two on/two out, 2-2 pitch, his baritone dropping down to match the call as would draw out a “loooowwwwwwww…ball three.”

Dave was the a constant during the ups and downs of growing up, and I’ll always think of him like family, even though I, like Dave, have only met him once, near a Kingdome gate when he signed my ball when I was 14. He took a moment to ask me who my favorite player was (ScrapIron Stinson)…and that summarizes Dave Niehaus. This is a great honoring for a deserving man.

41. Breadbaker on February 20th, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks for that link, Doc. I’d never heard the Gaylord call because I was at the game. It brought back the feel of that day (certainly the first historically significant game the M’s had ever played), and the sense of how young Dave’s voice sounded. I was a lot younger then, too, and the person whom I went to the game with has been dead for 20 years, but it’s amazing how evocative 46 seconds of Dave’s voice can be.

42. FarFrom206 on February 20th, 2008 5:04 pm

I didn’t have television growing up, just newspaper articles and Dave Niehaus on the radio. Now his voice is as familiar to me as a family member, and I’m spoiled for life listening to just about any other announcer.

The best thing about Dave is that he cares without being an obnoxious homer. Now I cover baseball for a living and I learned a lot about how to write about the game from listening to Dave talk about it.

43. brjp on February 20th, 2008 5:05 pm

I used to work for the M’s with helping setup the KIRO postgame interview. I have great memories of dave covering the mic when Ayala was coming in and he would let out a long line of curses, then get composed and say “that pitch is hiiiiggggh and outside”. That, plus the big pitcher of beer in the back that would be down to near empty. Good guy, M’s baseball wouldn’t be the same without him.

44. msb on February 20th, 2008 5:31 pm

sounds like it is milk these days. nothing like bypass surgery …

45. abun24 on February 20th, 2008 7:19 pm

29 – I started reading that passage to my wife. I couldn’t finish, too choked up.

USS Dave, thanks for including the rest of us in the end there. Its nice to know that Niehaus is getting an idea of what he has meant to us northwest natives and transplants.

I haven’t lived in the Seattle area for 10 years, but I blast Niehaus over my computer in the summer. Now if the neighbors complain, I can claim that its a hall of fame voice (at least every other inning or so). Its good to have the best on your side.

My favorite memory is riding around in my dad’s red Ford truck and dave calling an AD homerun in his first game back from injury. They probably lost 90 games that year, but I know they one that game on AD’s shot.

46. seadiv88 on February 20th, 2008 7:44 pm

Pee-Wee’s first name was Greg??? lol. We must be the same age!

Thanks Dave. Despite my M’s not being the most successful team, I have always enjoyed listening to Niehaus’ voice. Without him, I would think baseball is boring.

47. JerBear on February 20th, 2008 10:55 pm

So this post has finally lured me from lurker status, as I find myself compelled to post my support and congratulations to Mr. Niehaus – the best in the biz.

USSM Dave, you said quite eloquently most of the thoughts on my mind. I’m most likely a bit younger than many of you, so I don’t have some of the early memories that you have. I remember becoming truly hooked in 1995. I was 12 years old then. I remember that somewhere deep inside you just kept expecting it to end – and of course it eventually did with the Indians – but not before we were given one of the most magical and thrilling rides that baseball can offer. I remember my sister had a crush on Little Joey Cora, and then later on A-rod. My dad used to always joke that my mom had a crush on Edgar. People always remember the players, but more than any player in M’s history, it is Dave Niehaus that is inseparably tied to each and every moment of Mariner’s baseball. Watching the video of The Double, and hearing Dave call it, I too get choked up. I too enjoy the way his voice crescendos with the play and fluctuates with the location of the pitch. I appreciate his love of the game and his class. I appreciate the way he compliments the other team – even getting a bit excited when they make an exceptional play against us. Dave’s voice has been a constant through many summers of good times and bad times – through good baseball, and lots of bad baseball.

I grew up around Coeur d’Alene, ID, but my wife and I live in San Diego now. I listen to as much of Dave as I can on the internet, and come June 28 when the play the Padres in SD, I plan on being at the ballpark – sign in hand – to show my thanks and support.

Congratulations Dave, you deserve it.

48. J.L. White on February 21st, 2008 12:37 am

So, I was riding on the bus home from school in early October in 1995, and listening to the one-game playoff against the Angels on my walkman, since the powers-that-be decided to start the game in the early afternoon. I got lousy reception on it and had busted headphones, but I struggled to hear every single word that Dave said during that paramount encounter.

What I remember most from that game is the Luis Sojo inside-the-park grand slam, of course, and both Dave and I were equally (it seemed) overwhelmed by what just happened. I practically yelled to everyone on the half-empty bus what happened, with some mild interest, and I gave sporadic updates to the interested parties until I got off. The funny thing is, because of the poor hearing quality, I wasn’t able to hear the entire turn of events that Dave was yelling. In my minds eye, to this day, I still think of that ball rolling underneath the 3rd base bullpen bench, even though I’ve seen it correctly on replays dozens of times since. Thanks to Dave I made a mental image of that awesome, playoff clinching play and there is no way the facts are going to get in the way.

49. hawgdriver on February 21st, 2008 8:43 am

Dave, I don’t think I’m going to touch this dial any time soon. Thank you both for paying it forward in kind.

50. sass on February 21st, 2008 8:46 am

Yeah, 48, I was watching that on TV, so I heard Rico’s (right?) “Everybody Scores!” call. It was fine, but I’d like to hear what Dave had to say about it. On another note, contrasting this board with Baker’s blog’s commenters’ about Mr. Niehaus really shows how much class the readership of this site has. I’m glad I’m not the only Mariner fan to realize how great Dave has been and still is.

51. north on February 21st, 2008 1:11 pm

This award is well deserved. Dave Niehaus is, even today, one of the best announcers in the game. Many of these posts harken to childhood memories. I cannot do that because I did not encounter Dave Niehaus until well into adulthood.

Instead, I will try and pinpoint some reasons why Dave N is such a great announcer. As a neutral fan (my team no longer exists, so my allegiance is to well played and exciting baseball – wherever), I have listened to at least a few innings of every baseball announcing crew in the league. Dave N. stands out because …

i) he relays the atmosphere. He’ll go beyond the boxscore in his descriptions. He’ll mention that the on-deck hitter is tying his shoes or that the hitter is scratching his nose or somesuch. The art is that he does this without overwhelming the listener with details. Many play by play announcers are limited to reciting the box score and give the listener little feel for the ambiance.

ii) he is of the home team without alienating the neutral or opposing team’s fans. Opposing players and coaches are treated with respect and their accomplishments are called with equanimity. Too many announcing teams are destroyed by their homerism*. Over time I have become somewhat of a Mariners fan thanks to Dave Niehaus.

Kudos to Dave Niehaus.

* Probably the most grievous example is the team that covers the Cubs – excruciating.

52. Buhnerboy on February 21st, 2008 3:23 pm

Nothing says Dave Niehouse to me like the following:

“…and enjoy yourself a nice, cold, Budweiserrrrrrrr. Imported from Olymmmmmmmpia.”

53. cody on February 22nd, 2008 7:25 am

Dave Niehaus-My oh My!

54. Lootmeister on March 5th, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi All,

I’ve got one that will never be forgotten as well. It was the late eighties. The M’s had worked hard to fight vs. one of the best closers in the game at the time, Ron Davis of the Minnesota Twins. He was FLAT NASTY back then.

So, the M’s had clawed to get the game to 7-4. The sacks were jammed and Phil Bradley was coming up to the plate. I’ll tell it how I recall it. Please advise if I am wrong but it went a little something like this…

“This place is going bonkers right now…..Ron Davis, staring down, goes to the stretch… The pitch to Phil Bradley, the fastball, BELTED deep to left field, back goes hatcher, this one will fly, fly, fly away and the mariners win it 8 to 7, I don’t believe it! MY OH MY!”

To this day, other than seeing my first son born, I cannot think of anything that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Dave got me through a lot of rough teenage years. There was NOTHING better than sneaking the radio to bed past bedtime listening to the M’s through his voice.

Lastly, before I go, somebody noted how horrible Jim Presley was. Jimmy wasn’t horrible. Especially the night he went yard to tie a game in the 9th and then come back and go deep in the 10th to win it.

Jimmy, like many other unforgettable role players will always carry a place in my heart.

Thanks Dave, I don’t know if you’ll ever read this but I am not embarassed to say that as a full grown man, more than once have you brought a tear to my eye. We love you man.

Kevin in the Gorge