Calm Down

Dave · April 6, 2008 at 5:57 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Yes, the Mariners have lost three in a row to the Orioles. But man, reading through the comments, you’d think McLaren attacked Felix with a knife in his sleep. Can we inject a little sanity into this process?

Look, no one’s been more critical of the job the organization in building the 2008 Mariners than I have. All winter, I talked about my concerns about how the team was going to score runs, play defense, and win on days when Felix and Bedard aren’t pitching. This roster has problems – we’ve known it for months, and it’s not a big surprise.

But really, the team has scored 23 runs and allowed 24 in six games. That is not cause for panic. It’s just not. Nothing (besides Putz’s injury) that has happened since opening day should have changed your opinion about this team one ounce. If you weren’t freaking out a week ago, you shouldn’t be freaking out now.

This isn’t to say there aren’t valid criticisms of the roster or the way it’s being handled. There are, obviously. But one of the main criticisms of the blog (fairly or not) is that we don’t get particularly excited about the team doing well when it’s not sustainable. The flip side of that should also be true – there’s no reason to freak out when the team loses a one run game. It’s not proof that this team is terrible; it’s proof that one run games can go either way.

We call out the organization and the local writers when they do things that aren’t up to the standard we expect. In turn, we need to hold ourselves to a standard above firing the manager because the team is 2-4 in six games. Rationality works both ways.

Comments

69 Responses to “Calm Down”

1. OppositeField on April 6th, 2008 6:13 pm

I hear ya, but most of us probably would have pulled all of our hair out by now if we didn’t have this blog to vent on. Seeing a beautiful outing by my favorite player in baseball squandered away the way it was today was just particularly tough to stomach, and in the thread for that game it’s hard to resist hyperbole. Taking a step back, all of us would agree nothing has changed since last week, but that’s perhaps the MOST frustrating aspect of all this. We’ve spent the entire winter worried about how things will play out, and now we have to actually watch it happen. If you made a big picture blog post, there would undoubtedly be far less hysteria in the comments section. For these game threads, though, I don’t think a bit of ranting is necessarily such a bad thing.

2. Dave on April 6th, 2008 6:15 pm

Game Threads don’t count – I didn’t even read it, and I expect real time reactions to be based far more on emotion than logic.

3. DAMellen on April 6th, 2008 6:27 pm

Okay, but what if we’ve thought Bavasi and McLaren should’ve been fired since last season? We’re allowed to still think they should be fired, right? You know, if it’s got nothing to do with the 2-4 start?

4. avideo on April 6th, 2008 6:31 pm

Dave – Many thanks for injecting a bit of reality into the Mariners current losing streak. Let’s all keep in mind that most MLB teams are considered to be doing well if they win .500 of their road games.
    The Mariners still have dates in Tampa and we’ll see how they do there. Oh – and it’s a LONG,LONG grind until September like 151 games……….

5. Dave on April 6th, 2008 6:34 pm

Obviously, I’ve been calling for organizational changes for years. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that the team is doing things the wrong way. But I just don’t want this to turn into a place where the comments turn into “FIRE BAVAZI MCLAREN IS A MORON”, and the recent comments haven’t been that far away from that.

6. confess on April 6th, 2008 6:38 pm

At least we aren’t Detroit fans. Imagine the disappointment that group must be feeling right now. Most of us that follow this site entered the season with tempered expectations, but the Tiger fans were hearing this crazy 1000-runs stuff.

7. kentroyals5 on April 6th, 2008 6:42 pm

I think our reaction to the loss today and 2-4 record is the same reaction we have for Richie. Richie sucks..its early..but we all know what happened last year, so its not just a small sample size.

So when we see the Mariners managed the way they are, and remember last year, its like a continuum.

Everyone hates losing, but I hate to see us continually lose with bad management, even if that wasn’t the cause of the loss.

RRS needs more work and our bench NEEDS to be used when the game is on the line and you have defensive replacements better than those on the field.

8. argh on April 6th, 2008 6:43 pm

Now you’re making me wish I hadn’t shot my television.

9. OppositeField on April 6th, 2008 6:51 pm

The point is definitely taken. The crowd on USS Mariner is smarter than the average bear…we should always try to act like it.

10. fermorules on April 6th, 2008 6:57 pm

No, the sky isn’t falling….

But when a team absolutely blows a game, naturally some of us are going to be a little bit upset about certain things. Especially after the Mariners had already lost the first two games of a series against a team projected to finish nowhere….

Moreover, it isn’t just that the Mariners lost a game, or that they’ve started the season 2-4. It’s a long season, yes, and six games doesn’t make a week, let alone a season. We’re hip! We can dig it!

It’s just that some alarming things are already happening on the field, in the dugout and in the GM’s office. This team does not look sharp, the manager appears lost and the GM’s 25-man roster seems ill-conceived.

You’re right, six games isn’t a fair amount of time to judge this club, but this team is giving many of us bad vibes. I hope to goodness we’re all wrong, and that as punishment we’ll write mea culpas on Memorial Day.

11. Sentinel on April 6th, 2008 6:59 pm

You make a point, Dave. I think I might just take a step back for a bit and try to enjoy some baseball. I’ll save my good scathing remarks for later, just in case things don’t improve.

12. jlc on April 6th, 2008 7:04 pm

The reaction is funny in a philosophic way. The anti-saber posters on some other sites keep saying that we “pessimists” would rather see the team lose and be right than have them play well. Here’s a whole group of us who are essentially seeing some of what has us skeptical about the team and there’s just as much angst here as among “we thought they were going to win 90 and go to the playoff” crowd. Lowered expectations don’t really help when you have to watch it.

13. Sports on a Schtick on April 6th, 2008 7:06 pm

Okay I can somewhat understand why the pitching moves happened the way they did today. But why weren’t any defensive substitutions made in the ninth? Having Jimerson in left probably wouldn’t have made a difference in this game, but the larger question is “does John McLaren put his team in the best position to win?” And the answer is reason for concern.

14. Sentinel on April 6th, 2008 7:10 pm

Plus, I’m sure a lot of this angst has been building in a lot of the posters on this site for a few years now. You have to admit, they haven’t been the most productive as far as the roster has been concerned. It seems that this year has been the last straw for some.

Maybe some of us just need to make a trip to Safeco, have some fries and a beer, and enjoy a game without trying to read too much into it. I’m going to try it. Who’s with me?

15. doededoe on April 6th, 2008 7:10 pm

Dave, I know you aren’t into veteran savvy, but I would have much preferred Rhodes than Eric O today. Any word on if he’s ready?

16. joser on April 6th, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, it’s worth looking at the standings and asking yourself how many teams right now are anywhere close to where they’re likely to be at the end of the season. The Red Sox are at the bottom of the AL East — and Baltimore is at the top. The Royals are at the top of the AL Central — and the Tigers are at the bottom. The Rockies are already twice as many games out of first place in their division as the Mariners are in theirs. It’s still early.

Then again, the current AL West standings are disturbingly close to the order predicted by several of the simulations done at the Replacement Level weblog.

17. joser on April 6th, 2008 7:13 pm

Of course, the RA/RS numbers suggest a .500, 81-win team. Which is an improvement to where they are now, and about what a lot of us expected, but a step back from that over-achieving ’07 team.

18. matthew on April 6th, 2008 7:17 pm

We all knew that Box of Rocks Part II was going to be a problem for us. We all knew the Mariners did nothing to improve the offense. We all know that the Bedard trade was awful. I don’t think it’s freaking out as much as this is a place to vent. Rather than freaking out, I just type “a1.” The Mariners did some good things before the season started. But Dave and Derek did their best to point out during the offseason that the Mariners weren’t a team that was going to finish in 1st or 2nd place. Some of us listened. Others clearly didn’t.

19. msb on April 6th, 2008 7:34 pm

pshaw. next thing you’ll be saying is that it’s not a race but a marathon :)

20. doug on April 6th, 2008 8:19 pm

I agree, but aren’t Texas and Baltimore 2 of the teams that are in a rebuilding stage. All I can say if April continues, May is really going to be painful with the Yanks and the BoSox.

21. enazario on April 6th, 2008 8:19 pm

It could be worse. You could be a Tiger’s fan. They just got killed by the Sox.

22. notsohaole on April 6th, 2008 8:26 pm

You guys gotta admit, regardless of what the M’s do, it’s great to see the MLB season back in action!

Go healthy M’s!

23. scott19 on April 6th, 2008 9:02 pm

May is really going to be painful with the Yanks and the BoSox

Then again, it’s entirely possible that the M’s could temporarily be stuck in “a Philadelphia” — where what should be isn’t and vice-versa.

By that rationale, we should get red-hot around the time we face the Yanks/Red Sox/Tigers next month! :)

24. NODO Dweller on April 6th, 2008 9:13 pm

…and by red hot I assume you mean the Ms get just good enough to lose by 1 run to them as well? ;)

25. Russ on April 6th, 2008 9:18 pm

Dave, fair analysis.

However I have been panicking for the last two week so I reserve the right to be bitter.

26. Mr. Egaas on April 6th, 2008 9:33 pm

I think this pretty much sums it up:

Boo Sexson and Wilkerson
    Yay Lopez and Betancourt
    Felix is Felix and Ichiro is Ichiro
    @@#%@!#$%#$ Bedard and Putz are hurt
    WTF Vidro has 2 homers?
    We actually miss Mike Hargrove and Jose Guillen.

27. eponymous coward on April 6th, 2008 10:00 pm

The problem I have is: 23 runs in 6 games against Texas and Baltimore? This isn’t exactly refuting the sabremetric projections of the Mariner offense being a huge pile of suck this year (~700 runs, comparable to 2004-2005).

This isn’t panic so much as “uh-oh”.

28. OppositeField on April 6th, 2008 10:11 pm

Geoff Baker annoys the holy hell out of me.

29. Dave on April 6th, 2008 10:12 pm

It’s April – have you looked at the other teams in the A.L.? The league as a whole is scoring just over four runs per game. Heading into today, the M’s had a better than league average OPS.

And remember, I’m one of the people who projected this offense to suck. I just don’t think there’s any reason to believe that six games proves anything.

30. lailaihei on April 6th, 2008 10:27 pm

Except that any meaningful bounceback from Sexson is unlikely, given his ugly plate approach.

31. Ballfour on April 6th, 2008 10:57 pm

Hey Geoff Baker – Stop using this wonderful site as a basis for your work and be original will you? Of course, now I’ll eat my words and say the only thing that made any sense on his blog was a comment that Howard Lincoln should be fired – something I try to convey in my all(few) of my posts here. This guy should have been forced out by someone years ago. Most of the problems are a result of bad management decisions. Lincoln’s ego is driving this organization into the ground. Yes it’s frustrating now, but lets give this team 30 games to prove to us where they’re really going to finish. Me? I need another bottle of Jack!

32. 300ZXNA on April 6th, 2008 11:35 pm

thanks for the call to return to reality . . . however for those that still have irrational rage to vent, head on over to lookoutlanding . . . they have the people frothing at the mouth holding pitchforks and hot metal instruments over there.

33. JMHawkins on April 6th, 2008 11:44 pm

Well, we’re on track for our 81 wins (plus or minus three or four). No great surprise. The big question for me is how long the team sticks to the “win now” plan, and what additional damage they do to the future in foolish pursuit of a miraage. I’m a little nervous about the problems in the pen causing Bavasi to trade a prospect for a setup guy, but then again, Bill’s MO is to trade away setup guys, not trade for them, so maybe we’re safe on that count. Maybe the worst that will happen is we’ll dump some cash and high leverage innings on a 2008 version of Rick White (hopefully without the DayGlo whiskbroom on his chin).

I guess as long as the M’s continue to bat Sexson 4th and refuse to platoon Raul, we know they’re sticking to their plan. At this point, I’d be most comfortable with that. If they start making wild gyrations, I’m going to be nervous, because i’ll assume they’re panicking.

34. joser on April 7th, 2008 12:14 am

Man, the fangraph for that game is just brutal.

35. mln on April 7th, 2008 1:05 am

Remember, Steve Phillips has predicted the Mariners will make the World Series!

I mean that’s got to be a cause for hope and optimism, right?

36. wabbles on April 7th, 2008 1:10 am

Well, speaking for myself (and I suspect a lot of others), I would say that the reason we’re all freaking out is because we’ve had our reservations about this team and some of the worst of our possible scenarios are coming true. One of the beat writers (or was it a TV reporter?) refused to venture a guess as to how this team would finish given all the unknowns. A lot of us knew how this team very well COULD finish and now it just looks like we’re right and AAAAHHHH!!!! So, yes, I’m going to calm down. But if Sexson doesn’t start hitting. If McLaren doesn’t start managing. If…you get the idea.

37. drewringo on April 7th, 2008 1:11 am

Dave… thanks for the dose of reality and therapist like advice. Invoice me.

38. cody on April 7th, 2008 7:43 am

If there’s anything we should be panicking about, its the bullpen. Sure McLaren has been misusing it, but it has still been horrible. It has screwed up a lead for us two out of the last three days. I don’t that’s good.

39. Go Felix on April 7th, 2008 8:16 am

I’ll calm down when I’m ready to calm down. Ok, I’ll calm down now. Ponies for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Gomez on April 7th, 2008 8:35 am

I’m glad somebody else isn’t taking this too hard. I was really unhappy about the M’s play this weekend, but this is hardly the end of the season. We’re only 6 games in!

41. msb on April 7th, 2008 8:37 am

quote of the day:

“Two runs are not going to get it done. You need more than two runs.”

42. msb on April 7th, 2008 8:43 am

I’m actually feeling better, now, if for no other reason than that well-known baseball guy Mitch (say, did you know Mark Lowe had TJ surgery last year?) is convinced that the entire bullpen is ‘a real, real concern’ even when JJ is back, because EOF is ‘a certifiable disaster’.

43. bakomariner on April 7th, 2008 8:48 am

I’m just pissed at HOW they lost…terrible defense…terrible managing…and injuries (which cannot be avoided)…

They should be 6-0 right now…and we need every win we can get to win the division…

And if Bedard was really ready to go yesterday, why isn’t he pitching today? Is he intentionally avoiding pitching in Baltimore?

44. docmarsh on April 7th, 2008 8:52 am

Despite the awful management of the pitchers in the 9th (nothing like setting people up to fail) and the unfortunately spiked fastball…I think I’ll go to my grave never understanding why the outfield was playing in with 2 outs…the ball that hit the ground in right-center field was easily catchable if the outfield was playing at normal depth…why manage to not lose? The only way you lose the game is if they get a hit…why increase their odds by playing in?

45. msb on April 7th, 2008 8:58 am

And if Bedard was really ready to go yesterday, why isn’t he pitching today?

because it isn’t his call?

46. Evan on April 7th, 2008 9:02 am

2-4 isn’t so bad. We could be Detroit.

47. Colm on April 7th, 2008 9:06 am

Calm down? Hear hear.

But it’s hard for me to hear that without imagining a Scouse accent, a Terry McDermott perm.:

48. eponymous coward on April 7th, 2008 9:08 am

Right, but the entire league isn’t playing against Baltimore and Texas’s pitching, which doesn’t appear to me to be dramatically better than last year’s (when both teams were near the bottom of the AL).

Like I said, I’m not panicking. It’s more like “Huh, looks like those projections where the M’s offense is a big problem might be right. That’s going to be a serious problem going forward.”

49. bakomariner on April 7th, 2008 9:23 am

msb-

Then again, this shows Mac’s flawed planning…if Bedard is healthy to pitch today, he should…

50. Jeff Nye on April 7th, 2008 9:24 am

Not presuming to speak for Dave, but I think this post is more about tone and timing than it is about the actual substance of the complaints.

I think we’re all aware that this team has some pretty serious flaws. And yes, we might be seeing some evidence of those flaws in these few games.

But Dave’s right; some of the posts lately have shaded a little towards the lynch-mob mentality, and that’s really unjustified, especially at this early stage of the season, because while it’s not LIKELY, the things we’re seeing could just be small sample size theater.

So let’s relax, take a deep breath, and advocate for a smarter organization in a more responsible and less histrionic manner.

51. msb on April 7th, 2008 9:27 am

how is it “flawed planning” for the manager, the pitching coach and the trainer to make sure he is healthy by having a throw day, and then putting him back on his regular schedule after the throw day is a success?

52. joser on April 7th, 2008 9:54 am

Is he intentionally avoiding pitching in Baltimore?

I love the conspiracy theories and wild-eyed armchair psychoanalysis. I’m not really sure how Bedard automatically lost the benefit of the doubt so soon in his career here in Seattle (what, because he didn’t feel like answwering yet another round of the same inane questions from the reporters? So suddenly we’re on the side of the media we’re always complaining about?) But let’s give it a rest. We really have no basis for speculating in such a scurrilous manner, and we have ample evidence from his career so far that he’s fragile and misses a lot of innings (one more reason a lot of people, including me, objected to the trade — I’m still betting he won’t pitch 180 innings this year). Then again, we had idiots “fans” who suggested Felix didn’t like the way that Twins game was going so he “faked” his forearm injury last year, so I guess there’s an undercurrent of this no matter who is involved.

53. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 10:01 am

Bavasi unwisely weakened the bullpen two consecutive years, by trading two of the top setup men in MLB. The first was Soriano for Horramible. Soriano is currently the closer for Atlanta, and the recipient of a well-deserved $ 9 million, two year contract. Horramible was cut.

The second trade was the inclusion of Sherrill in the Jones/Bedard trade. Most of us were not privy to the actual discussions, but have a hard time believing the Orioles would have walked away if Bavasi had refused to include Sherrill. Sherrill is currently the closer for the Orioles, and has proven effective in that role. The Mariners certainly could use him with Putz on the DL. Could Bavasi have predicted Putz’s injury? No, but Putz threw a lot of innings in 2007.

Because of these questionable trades, Bavasi arguably merits the lion’s share of the blame for the late collapse of the bullpen in 2007, the failure to develop Morrow as a starter, and the current bullpen woes of 2008.

McLaren deserves blame for sitting the hottest bat in the lineup, Morse, even when obvious pinch-hitting situations arose in Seattle. It is inevitable that Morse will make several horrid defensive plays this year, but it is fair to point out that he has played a solid RF to date, including showing the strong arm he possesses (it was so sweet seeing Roberts get nailed at the plate).

While Lopez missed a critical play yesterday, Beltre, Betancourt and Sexson have made critical errors as well. Moreover, Lopez has been solid defensively, not to mention the fact that his bat has been one of the M’s hottest.

It is early, but the M’s needed a hot start against inferior teams.

54. JMHawkins on April 7th, 2008 10:02 am

It’s not flawed planning. It’s just a damned high level of frustration that the Ace we traded for has only given us five innings so far, and we’ve already lost two games due to not having one of the guys (Sherrill) we gave up for him. A week into the season and we’re already -2 on the trade. It’s part of the general panic. Mac is doing the right thing with Bedard, but we gave up a lot for the guy and people want to see him on the mound.

55. VaughnStreet on April 7th, 2008 10:13 am

I agree that now is not the time to panic. But I do detect some panic in McLaren. So, to me, that gives us reason to panic. I fear the Ms are going to do something real stupid — on a level of hiring Rick White — as they continue to value things other than skill and fail to correctly assess talent. We shall see.

Remember, this is an organization that gave away Soriano for a steaming pile of crap, grossly overpaid for Bedard and continues to retain the services of Bavasi and McLaren. What will they do to us next?

56. Jeff Nye on April 7th, 2008 10:14 am

Ugh. I can’t wait until Morse gets his “chance” that people keep clamoring for, so that he can be demonstrated as exactly the mediocre player that his entire history shows him to be and people will (hopefully) stop wishcasting based on a month of meaningless spring training games.

Mike Morse is not the answer to any question you should be asking.

57. DMZ on April 7th, 2008 10:25 am

Please. Bloomquist got many chances, and that didn’t do anything to dispel his hold on his followers.

58. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 10:29 am

It is more probable than not that Morse would have performed better than Wilkerson has to date.

59. Jeff Nye on April 7th, 2008 10:39 am

Maybe it’s me that’s wishcasting, then! Thanks Derek. :)

I just don’t get it, though. At least Bloomquist is somewhat likable (when not griping about his playing time), local kid with a good story, etc.

Mike Morse doesn’t have any of that going for him. I don’t get his appeal.

60. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 10:54 am

Now I don’t get it. Mike Morse is by most accounts a likable kid, with a good story.

Bloomquist? Ugh. Drafted twice by Seattle (8th Round, 3rd Round).

BTW, I also liked the use of “wish casting” in your response.

61. Dave on April 7th, 2008 11:01 am

A good story? Guy uses ‘roids, gets suspended, compares himself to A-Rod, and ends up as a marginal reserve. Sounds like a tearjerker to me.

62. msb on April 7th, 2008 11:06 am

FWIW, “they say” (you know, “they”) that he has grown up a lot in the last year; he certainly seems determined to turn himself in to a clone of Ibanez, and even if he never has the baseball career, he could do worse than model his personal life after Raul.

63. Jeff Nye on April 7th, 2008 11:19 am

I’m sorry if my use of the term wishcasting offends you, but that’s exactly what all the Morse love amounts to.

This organization does a lot of things wrong, but keeping Morse on the bench is not one of them. It’s exactly where he belongs, if you have him in your organization at all.

64. Red Apple on April 7th, 2008 11:38 am

So Felix says he wanted to be pulled after 8 innings because he wasn’t 100 percent, and he had faith in O’Flaherty getting lefties out. I’m glad he’s thinking long term.

Yes, the O’s got some hits off of O’Flaherty, and Lowe looked like he was a little overly pumped, but they’re good pitchers, and these games just happen sometimes. It sucks, but it’s only one loss.

Better that Felix stays healthy.

65. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 11:41 am

What is wrong with a kid patterning himself after A-Rod, especially since they are physically similar and both are from Florida? Yep, that really bothered A-Rod, who bought Mike and his friend’s dinner one afternoon, shortly after Morse was drafted. It is also worth noting that Cal Ripken took the time to see Morse play on two occasions, after they met in Wilmington, Delaware.

Morse rises in the White Sox organization as a SS prospect. Morse is then named as the third player for Freddy Garcia/Ben Davis (instead of Borchard).

Admits steroid use and apologizes, in contrast to several MLB players.

Serves suspension, changes positions, suffers torn meniscus/surgery (2006), wrist surgery (2007), breaks a legend’s spring training record (Edgar), demonstrates a strong work ethic, and puts up better stats in MLB than he does in the minors. Morse surprisingly makes the 2008 Mariner squad as a platoon player, with the other guy being a former #1 pick, Brad Wilkerson, who is making $ 3 million.

It is also likely that Morse is going to be the last remaining player Seattle received for Garcia.

66. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 11:44 am

Jeff,

I spoke plain English when I stated I liked your use of the word. I am sorry you took it the wrong way.

67. kentroyals5 on April 7th, 2008 2:51 pm

You may need another “Calm Down” post…thanks to more Mac retarded-ness. His decision making isn’t going away.

68. eponymous coward on April 7th, 2008 3:57 pm

Morse’s projection according to ZiPS: .275/.329/.411
    Wilkerson’s: .228/.325/.416
    Sexson’s: .234/.323/.441

Basically, they’re all pretty interchangeable levels of replacement-level performance offensively ( you can find .325/.425 corner outfielders/corner infielders/DHs all through the majors/minors as essentially “free” talent). Morse just gives you a superficially better batting average to disguise the level of suck involved in his skillset.

Morse MIGHT make sense if he was part of a DH platoon with Ibanez (who really IS that awful against LHP) and 1B backup, since he’s just not a very good defensive player… but the problem is that management wouldn’t dream of platooning Face of the Franchise(tm), and the M’s specialize in collecting overpaid and mediocre to bad DHs (Vidro, Sexson) to go along with the annual Veteran Impact Bat (Wlikerson).

69. currcoug on April 7th, 2008 4:43 pm

In regards to Morse’s projections compared to Sexson and Wilkerson…Morse is making less than $ 400,000.00 thousand, while Sexson and Wilkerson are making $ 14 million $ 3 million respectively. That money would have been better spent on the bullpen.

The quip about Ibanez is hilarious.