On the depressing nature of being an M’s fan these days
It’s a measure of how beaten-down we are that we look at transactions like “Frank Thomas to the A’s” and the thought process runs
– That’s fine, what the team really needed was a decent outfielder or two so Ibanez could DH
– Except they think his defense is fine, so we can rule out them shopping for left fielder
– Which means we have to limit ourselves to hoping they realize Vidro stinks
– Except McLaren just moved him up in the batting order, so they must not realize that
– Is their mistaken belief in Ibanez greater than their mistaken belief in Vidro?
– Probably, yeah.
– Then we have to hope that they’ll sign an upgrade DH.
– Except they had a chance at Frank Thomas and didn’t get him.
– And he’s now playing for the A’s for major league minimum.
– Which means Vidro’s even more likely to make his 400 plate appearances and vest his option for next year.
– I’m going to go get an early start on my drinking ahead of tonight’s game.