If not Sexson, who? Willie! Boom-Boom! Yes! That guy!

DMZ · May 7, 2008 at 10:06 pm · Filed Under Mariners

I said some unkind things about McLaren’s choice to start Cairo in Sexson’s stead tonight. But there really is no way to justify the decision. With Sexson lost, here’s who was available:
- WFB-R, plays a good first base, terrible hitter
- WFB Light-R, plays a bad first base, terrible hitter
- Turbo-B, plays a bad first base, terrible hitter so far but probably a good bet to do better than either of those two, offensively
- play someone out of position, either Clement, Ibanez, or someone else, like someone tall from the bullpen

Once you’ve eliminated that last one, you really only have two defensible choices: Vidro, because you want a guy who’ll take a walk and might get a hit, or Bloomquist, because as long as you’re punting offense you might as well get a good glove out there.

There is no reason to play Cairo. There’s no reason Cairo’s on the roster, frankly, but this is supposedly exactly the reason Cairo’s there — to allow them to use Bloomquist while still having a Bloomquist facsimile on the bench. Arrgghhh.

And then — to not pinch-hit for Cairo late in the game when they’re down but things are still close… why not? You in the world do you pinch hit for Clement, who can hit, with Bloomquist in the 9th and not Cairo in the 8th? Why — this is just crazy.

Comments

61 Responses to “If not Sexson, who? Willie! Boom-Boom! Yes! That guy!”

1. Sports on a Schtick on May 7th, 2008 10:14 pm

This team is unconscionable.

2. enazario on May 7th, 2008 10:15 pm

It is madness. Madness indeed.

3. strong silence on May 7th, 2008 10:15 pm

Clement does not have a clue right now. WFB had a better chance.

4. jspektor on May 7th, 2008 10:15 pm

DMZ -

It makes ‘Mariners’ sense to start Burke then Cairo back to back in the lineup.

It’s not like they are a combined 3 for 36 … oh wait. they are.

5. Mr. Egaas on May 7th, 2008 10:16 pm

It’s one thing if we were getting beat every given game but still making the right managerial decisions. This is just blasphemy.

6. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:16 pm

Totally agree. What a joke! There is absolutely no reason for that. My guess is Mac saw Cairo was 2-3 against Padilla and thought it would be a great idea.

7. DMZ on May 7th, 2008 10:16 pm

Clement can hit. Even if you want to argue that he’s hitting terribly right now, that’s Bloomquist’s normal mode of operation.

8. Bodhizefa on May 7th, 2008 10:17 pm

I’ve officially started tuning in to the Diamondback games. They’re much more interesting on both sides of the ball, and I just can’t take the M’s ineptitude any longer. I’m only planning on tuning in for Felix games for a while just to get a breath of fresh air. And Arizona IS that fresh air.

9. Sklyansky on May 7th, 2008 10:19 pm

Is it possible attendance could drop below 10,00 at some point if this continues? Is that what it will take before ownership finally steps up and does something? I fully expect Felix to be masterful tomorrow, and still lose 1-0.

10. JMHawkins on May 7th, 2008 10:19 pm

Post game show, everyone on the broadcast crew sounds down. Even Rizzs sounds like he just got done watching “Ol’ Yeller.”

This team is sinking fast.

11. msb on May 7th, 2008 10:19 pm

and they have that fiery manager :)

12. Sklyansky on May 7th, 2008 10:20 pm

Er, 10,000, not 10,00 (whatever that is). Although with the way their playing, 1,000 wouldn’t seem far off the mark.

13. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:20 pm

Why would you put Willie in there? Obviously we know the whole lefty v. lefty idea, but Clement can still tie the game with blast. Also, great message to send to Clement. Ah, we are going to pitch hit for you, and further, we are doing it with WFB! Nice call Mac or Rig.

14. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:22 pm

The Mariners have a season ticket holder base of 14,000 or so. Therefore, it will never get lower than that.

15. msb on May 7th, 2008 10:23 pm

wonder if Chuck Stark still thinks Willie is getting a raw deal from the Ms and the cyberfans ….

16. msb on May 7th, 2008 10:28 pm

according to Mac, Vidro is out with back spasms, so it was Willie or Joh.

17. enazario on May 7th, 2008 10:29 pm

Vidro would have been a better choice than Bloomquist. And if he got on base then you can use Willie for pinch running.

18. DAMellen on May 7th, 2008 10:30 pm

It’s really a shame that we don’t have someone like…oh I don’t know Brad Wilkerson or maybe Grego Norton to fill in when Sexson’s not feeling well. I’m not really sure how well either of them play the field, but they’ve both spent a lot of time at first and offensively, I’d take either of them ahead Bloomquist, Cairo, or Vidro if the pitcher is a righty.

19. enazario on May 7th, 2008 10:31 pm

Of course they real problem is that we should have Norton here, not Cairo.

20. JMHawkins on May 7th, 2008 10:33 pm

Vidro was apparently out with back spasms.

21. jspektor on May 7th, 2008 10:33 pm

I am going to get and bed and cry myself to sleep while listening to the 95 Playoff track on the ’20 years of Mariner Baseball’ CD

wahhh

22. juneau_fan on May 7th, 2008 10:33 pm

according to Mac, Vidro is out with back spasms…

From what? Oh wait, when I sit for long periods of time, my back hurts too.

23. enazario on May 7th, 2008 10:34 pm

Bedard is such an ass with the press. Not exactly a likable fellow.

24. jspektor on May 7th, 2008 10:38 pm

23 – What did he say?

25. PositivePaul on May 7th, 2008 10:38 pm

Well, the ump had to have thrown out McLaren not for arguing balls and strikes, but rather for the crazy lineup card.

It’s obvious this guy has some learning to do…

26. msb on May 7th, 2008 10:38 pm

Bedard is such an ass with the press. Not exactly a likable fellow.

did you hear those questions? what would you answer? ‘yes, I pitched well, but of course my team stinks and I got no run support. Again’.

27. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:38 pm

I think I may check myself into Shick Shadel after this loss!

28. enazario on May 7th, 2008 10:39 pm

I know that the questions can be inane. But he is difficult. There is no way around that.

29. forte40 on May 7th, 2008 10:41 pm

Madness? This is…

your right, it just doesn’t make logical sense.

30. JMHawkins on May 7th, 2008 10:41 pm

Bedard is such an ass with the press. Not exactly a likable fellow

Oh c’mon. Did you hear the questions? I’d be looking for a bat to beat the reporters over the head with. Bedard did fine.

31. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:41 pm

Bedard cracks me up. Did it bother you, the lack of run support? No Did Bradley get all of it? Yeah Was it a change-up? Yeah

32. CC03 on May 7th, 2008 10:43 pm

Bedard’s a prick…but he’s our prick. Only through next year though.

33. JMHawkins on May 7th, 2008 10:43 pm

Current caller to the post-game show (Jeff in Moses Lake):

(paraphrasing): “We left some guys on base tonight. That’s an improvement. It means we got guys on base.”

34. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:44 pm

He does come accross to the average fan on an interview like that as being a jerk. I don’t care, but it is definately not mojo-esque or PC by Mariner standards.

35. rcc on May 7th, 2008 10:45 pm

Just when you think it can’t get any worse….it does! Norton coulda, shoulda been the choice to be on the roster instead of Cairo. Bloomquist pinch hitting….hilarious.

The M’s are in sharp contrast to the A’s. The A’s were supposed to suck. They got rid of almost all of their name players, some of whom are doing well right now like Bradley and Kotsay, and replaced them with nobodies…and those nobodies are now tied with the Angels for first place.

Stick a fork in the M’s they are done….the best they can hope for is to contend for third place.

36. msb on May 7th, 2008 10:45 pm

my favorite was ‘it looked like your curveball was working; do you think it was working?’

37. jspektor on May 7th, 2008 10:50 pm

36 – was that shannon drayer?

The one thing I think about right now is what my Grandfather used to say to me RIP:

“The Mariners are in first place if you turn the paper upside down” :)

38. justinh on May 7th, 2008 10:51 pm

That was classic!!! Yeah, it was working.

39. Tom on May 7th, 2008 10:54 pm

I hate to say it, but it’s May and I’m looking more forward to WSU basketball than the Mariners at this point.

40. don52656 on May 7th, 2008 11:16 pm

Worst record in the AL, worst offense in the AL, second-worst defense in the AL, Kingdome-like attendance. Bavasi’s days are numbered. I wonder if he’ll be GM long enough to see Cairo’s first 2008 hit?

41. BlazerD on May 7th, 2008 11:30 pm

#39 – Tom, there is still great basketball in the Northwest. You just have to come down to Portland. :)

42. Benne on May 7th, 2008 11:47 pm

I love Bedard’s interviews. For those that think he’s an ass, I’d be irritated too if I pitched a gem but lost anyway because my offense sucks, and then had to deal with asinine questions like “was your curveball working? Did he hit that ball really hard?”

It amazes me how sycophantic our local media can get.

43. Tom on May 8th, 2008 12:17 am

#41: Hahahaha, no no. It’s not what you think. I gave up on the Sonics and the NBA long ago. College basketball is ten times better than a league run by David Stern.

44. Typical Idiot Fan on May 8th, 2008 1:49 am

Y’know… I know why the media gives him guff (because it’s their job to not like and, thus, slander and blackball, anybody who doesn’t pander to their every idiotic question like a good little puppet), but why are we giving him guff?

I love the dude. I love a guy who gives the media the proverbial bird. It’s times like these where you’re supposed to realize not that the people are bad people, but that it’s the media that’s FULL OF SHIT…

45. scott19 on May 8th, 2008 1:58 am

Of course they real problem is that we should have Norton here, not Cairo.

Ironically, Norton pinch-hit the go-ahead RBI in his first at-bat for the Braves tonight.

Sigh.

46. Rumpelstiltskin on May 8th, 2008 2:36 am

I haven’t been hanging out over here this season. In fact, I haven’t even really been watching the games this season. I didn’t like the Bedard deal, but I think it was the Wilkerson signing that pushed me over the top. It’s just too painful to try to be a fan of this fucking organization.

Anyways, I again didn’t watch the game tonight, but I glanced at the box score and saw Cairo playing 1B and batting 9th-WTF? Then I saw that Bloomquist pinch hit for Clement and with further research learned that Clement and the rest of the bench were not injured/ejected-double WTF?

Anyways, this is what brought me back here just to be sure I wasn’t losing my mind or missing something obvious. It’s nice to know that even after watching no more than a handful of innings this season, I’m pretty sure I could still manage the roster better than McLaren or whoever the hell was in charge after he got tossed.

Good luck with the rest of this season. Is there anything wrong with just rooting for a team like the A’s instead? Honestly, I’d probably rather see them win a world series than this bunch of M’s. I mean if we somehow hit a million to one shot and lucked our way to a championship, would that mean we’d have to put up with the Bavasi/McLaren/Bloomquist trinity in perpetuity? I’d rather just see them lose 100+ games so we can clean house and start over like we should’ve done in any of the last 3 offseasons…

47. terry on May 8th, 2008 4:13 am

There really isn’t much reason to give two hoots about the Ms right now. Wake me up when there is some news.

48. ivan on May 8th, 2008 6:25 am

When I saw Willie in the on-deck circle I really wanted to turn the TV off, but I’m too perverse. I had to watch Wilson stick his dick in the dirt.

I was sorry to see Norton go when it should have been Cairo. The M’s could really use a switch-hitter with some pop, who could play first and third. When you have a player like that, you keep him around if at all possible. But the M’s have had two such players now, and given them both away for nothing.

What? Two, you say? Yep. The first was Carlos Guillen. That one ranks right up there with the Soriano giveaway.

People can blame shit like this on Bavasi or Gillick all they want. I blame it on Lincoln and Armstrong. This team will never be *shit* as long as those two incompetents are running it.

49. galaxieboi on May 8th, 2008 8:13 am

I’m disappointed in the team’s performance this year, to understate the matter. That said, I suffered through 15 years of absolute ineptitude at the Kingdome so this isn’t the end of the world.

50. LewLegend on May 8th, 2008 9:11 am

It’s the bottom of the 9th, down by 2, one man on…

“May I have your attention please…now batting for the Mariners, Willie Bloomquist.”

I was shocked. Willie frocking Broomstick.

Okay, enough rant.

51. msb on May 8th, 2008 9:25 am

36 – was that shannon drayer?

no, she doesn’t ask questions like that. She was off last night; I assume it was one of the big-hair gals who work for Fox

52. WhyOWhy on May 8th, 2008 9:28 am

According to Baker today,

Sexson was gone for a family issue.
    Vidro had back spasms.
    McLaren was tossed in the 2nd.

So it doesn’t seem quite as bad a decision as all that.

53. CCW on May 8th, 2008 10:12 am

I, for one, get less upset about the managerial decisions than the FO decisions. Yes, the managerial decisions tend to suck, and Mclaren simply does not have what it takes to be a MLB manager, but the FO decisions are even worse. Give days, weeks, even months, to ponder the situation, we still have Cairo and Vidro on the roster and Norton was *released*, for gawd’s sake. I don’t even know how to begin to justify the series of “decisions” that led us here. Even when I try to think like the Mariner FO (i.e. I’m running a baseball team in 1975), I can’t figure it out.

54. scott19 on May 8th, 2008 10:33 am

I blame it on Lincoln and Armstrong.

Ah, but it’s always been their mission to put together, as Howie says, a “com-pe-ti-tive team” for the fans.

Um, yeah.

55. opiate82 on May 8th, 2008 10:53 am

or someone else, like someone tall from the bullpen

This… if you aren’t going to win you might as well entertain us.

56. joser on May 8th, 2008 11:03 am

someone tall from the bullpen

How about the Moose?

57. joser on May 8th, 2008 11:11 am

Bedard clearly doesn’t suffer fools gladly. I realize that might rub some people the wrong way; after all, this country is so willing to suffer fools that it elected GW Bush. Twice.

58. AK4Sea on May 8th, 2008 11:14 am

My understanding is that Bedard doesn’t really care for baseball that much – to him, it’s a job, just like any other.

As long as he’s giving 100% in the field (and he is), why should we care if he doesn’t want to jump through the rest of the hoops? We have Miguel Batista to give cryptic and soulful quotes to the press, and Bedard to actually, you know, not suck.

59. wabbles on May 8th, 2008 1:21 pm

I’ve been kicking this around in my head for a while and I think it’s finally time to verbalize it. Bring back Woody Woodward. There, I said it. OK, the Indians called to offer David Bell straight up for Joey Cora and he had to CALL THEM BACK rather than jumping at it before they came to their senses. But he did stockpile pitchers in the minors and he did build and keep that young core (Griffey, Buhner, Martinez, Martinez, Blowers, Rodriquez, Wilson, Nelson)instead of constantly trading them away for veterans. He did a lot of that with less notable minor leaguers but not anything like what we’ve seen lately. Maybe I’m seeing the past through rose-colored glasses but that’s how bad things have become. I’m longing for the days of Woody Woodward. ‘heavy sigh’

60. Sentinel on May 8th, 2008 3:30 pm

Who really cares, though. I don’t give two shits if the media likes the guy. I only hope that he wins games. This is the reason why I’m all for signing Bonds. Do I hate him? Yes. Will he improve the lineup by leaps and bounds? I believe so.

61. joser on May 8th, 2008 6:27 pm

Actually, having the media — this media, the local sports media — hate him might be a point in his favor, considering their general contempt for USSM (as well as things for like facts, analysis, independent thinking, and intelligence).