Game 79, Mariners at Padres

DMZ · June 27, 2008 at 6:10 pm · Filed Under Game Threads

7:05. Jarrod “The Bus” Washburn v Randy Wolf.

Randy Wolf signed a one year deal with the Padres for $4.75m, with some nice incentive clauses for games started and innings pitched. He was with the team before for $8m and the Padres declined his option and re-signed him for $4m less than he was due.

The M’s are paying Washburn $9.85m to suck this year and will pay him $10.35m to suck next year unless embarrassment spurs him to retires or something.

Actually — that’s too harsh. Washburn, for his terrible record and terrible outings, has overall been a more or less average pitcher with some bad luck. Sorry.

Washburn: 5.87 K/9, 3.05 BB/9, 1.06 HR/9, and a .344 BABIP
Wolf: 8.27 K/9, 3.04 BB/9, 1.05 HR/9 and a .305 BABIP (which is still a little unlucky)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeyup. Good thing we locked Washburn up to that long-term deal, because otherwise there’d be no way to replace him.

LINEUPS!
RF-L Ichiro!
2B-R Lopez
LF-L Ibanez
3B-R Beltre
1B-R Sexson
C-R Johjima
SS-R Betancourt
CF-R Willie “Evil in Spikes” Bloomquist
P-L Washburn

That’s at least… more defensible than most McLaren lineups towards the end.

Comments

129 Responses to “Game 79, Mariners at Padres”

1. praetor on June 27th, 2008 6:21 pm

out of the whole wonderful gang, who is the worst of all?

2. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 6:25 pm

Whats the over/under line tonight for:
    1.Washburn going over 3 innings.
    2.Washburn throwing 30+ pitches in any inning.
    3.Somebody on the radio describing/discussing Willy’s ‘scrappy’ play and/or ‘hustle’.

3. msb on June 27th, 2008 6:26 pm

speaking of pitching match-ups, KC is hitting around the Card’s pitcher Joel Pineiro, while KC’s Gil Meche is baffling the Cardinal hitters.

4. msb on June 27th, 2008 6:27 pm

Drayer’s medical report:

JJ throws 60 feet on flat ground sat., stilll not likely to be ready until after the AS break.

Felix has the boot off, and is not limping

AB is doing better, and Bedard’s back (and I assume Morrow’s as well) survived the flight home

5. pgreyy on June 27th, 2008 6:28 pm

…and in other news, the latest issue of Sports Illustrated indicates that his fellow MLBers (but not including his own teammates) find Raul Ibanez to be the third most underrated player in the game today.

Hooray?

6. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 6:30 pm

I’m rooting for the pitching staff to be nicknamed ‘Felix and the Bullpen Gang’ by the AS break. Maybe Bedard will fight his way back to be some kind of sidekick to Felix…

7. msb on June 27th, 2008 6:33 pm

his fellow MLBers (but not including his own teammates)

as players could not vote for a teammate…

8. scraps on June 27th, 2008 6:45 pm

Whats the over/under line tonight for:
    1.How many innings Washburn will pitch.
    2.How many pitches Washburn will throw in any inning.
    3.NJumber of times someone on the radio describes/discusses Willy’s ’scrappy’ play and/or ‘hustle’.

Fixed for you, to make “over/under” make sense.

9. Jack Howland on June 27th, 2008 6:50 pm

I’m a little nervous about tonight’s match up. Willie has a lifetime 362 slugging PCT against lefties, and an outfield of Gerut, Giles, and Headley might allow him to stretch one out.

The Willie Watch:

3. 2

over-under

11. smb on June 27th, 2008 6:53 pm

Over/under
    1. 4.2
    2. most pitches in any inning: 31
    3. 5, but that includes references to his super-utility guy status and natural speed as well.

12. DMZ on June 27th, 2008 7:02 pm

I think I’m going to write a massive trade value post during tonight’s game.

13. don52656 on June 27th, 2008 7:06 pm

Over/under:

1. 6.1
    2. Most pitches in any inning = 21 (this is the Padres)
    3. 2 (I predict no hits for Willie tonight, but if he does get one, he’ll try to stretch it to a double and be thrown out at 2nd)

M’s have a good chance tonight, because they don’t get XBH’s, but no one else does at Petco, either.

14. crazyray7391 on June 27th, 2008 7:07 pm

I think I’m going to write a massive trade value post during tonight’s game.

Great idea, but won’t it get depressing writing “absolutely none” for about 19 of the players?

15. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:07 pm

At least Vidro isn’t in the lineup.

I wish Clement was, though.

16. Jack Howland on June 27th, 2008 7:08 pm

Does anyone know where Gerut was in 2006 and 2007?

17. AZ Ms Fan on June 27th, 2008 7:09 pm

nice! “welcome to gameday 3d” anyone else have this?

18. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:11 pm

You know, I might be alone here, but I think the M’s should go back to the trident logo… and some variation of the old uni’s. I’m getting sick of the current ones.

Is it just me?

19. Sports on a Schtick on June 27th, 2008 7:12 pm

I’m baffled Sexson is still on this team. Nobody wants him. Let him go. Let’s move on.

20. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:14 pm

Omigod. Somehow I’ve missed the Mariners ‘new’ uniforms, whenever and wherever they first showed up. With all that powder blue plus the obligatory gold chains, they look like refugees from a Florida retirement community.

21. praetor on June 27th, 2008 7:15 pm

richie time! sigh…

22. MattThompson on June 27th, 2008 7:16 pm

I think IÂ’m going to write a massive trade value post during tonightÂ’s game.

Let me guess:

1 Felix
    2 Ichiro
    3 Bedard

22 WFB
    23 Sexson
    24 Vidro
    25 Washburn or Batista

23. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:17 pm

I think IÂ’m going to write a massive trade value post during tonightÂ’s game.

I’m trying to imagine how it’s going to be “massive”.

24. absolutsyd on June 27th, 2008 7:18 pm

I rather like the Padres old unis as well.

25. crazyray7391 on June 27th, 2008 7:19 pm

I’m trying to imagine how it’s going to be “massive”.

Really big font?

26. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:21 pm

It’s some kind of turn the clock back to 1978 night in San Diego.

Dave N. said he thought those uniforms looked good. In 1978.

27. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 7:22 pm

#8, delayed thank-you. Radio game tonight, but #20 just described the team better than Neihaus ever has. over/under 4.1, 28(padres), no hits for Willy, but 1 walk and a really scrappy 9 pitch ab.

28. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:22 pm

22: How can you not have Silva on the list? His deal is more than Wash or Batista and it ends in like the second Jenna Bush administration.

29. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:24 pm

1978, eh? That would explain the leisure suit appearance.

30. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:25 pm

Is there like 12 people in the stands in San Diego?

If you schedule a special event and only a few people show up, why bother?

31. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:25 pm

Both these sets of uniforms should never have seen the light of day again. What’s next? The ChiSox unis with shorts?

32. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:26 pm

That was an Ibanez single.

How can professional baseball people look at that and not see what all of us can see? Is it just that we were tipped off by looking at actual statistics?

33. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:27 pm

My, our (lack of) range is being tested tonight.

34. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:27 pm

Uh, boys? Just because you are wearing uniforms from 1978 doesn’t mean you have to play like the 1978 Mariners.

35. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:27 pm

70′s night, Padres: No big deal.

70′s night, M’s: Huge frickin’ promo. Like, biggest of the year. No joke.

I think this tells us something about the fans: Padre fans, having seen their team in the postseason recently, have no reason to want to relive the past…

M’s fans, on the other hand…

36. Steve T on June 27th, 2008 7:29 pm

How much of Washburn’s “bad luck” is terrible defense, do you think? Wash may be a jerk, but he may have some legitimate reasons, what with Raul out there shagging flies like he’s trying to stamp out a campfire.

37. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:30 pm

Did the Mariners bat twice that inning??

38. praetor on June 27th, 2008 7:30 pm

how long before sexson is sent packing, if it’s when his average goes below 200, then it will only be 17 more at bats

39. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:30 pm

The Mariners would ban that camera angle if somebody tried to set it up at Safeco.

40. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:31 pm

DMZ pointed out his BABIP was .344. Some of that is lack of fielding range, I’m sure.

41. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:34 pm

Willie Bloomquist: (s)craptastic.

42. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:35 pm

Gritty walk.

43. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:35 pm

40: I suspect more of it is because the difference between fastball and “change” has all but disappeared.

44. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:35 pm

Washburn bunts like he pitches.

45. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:36 pm

Ichiro looks like he’s playing for the Orix Blue Wave (and he probably wishes he was).

46. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:36 pm

Seeing-eye single for sure.

47. Paul B on June 27th, 2008 7:37 pm

If Washburn had gotten the bunt down, the M’s would have a run.

48. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:37 pm

Probably not, since they’re the Orix Buffaloes now.

49. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:38 pm

Sure seems like the Padres have got some nice camera locations set up for the broadcasts. I really like those aerial views of the play developing from the high outfield perspective.

50. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:41 pm

So, what’s the record for most bases-loaded situations in a game without scoring a run?

51. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 7:41 pm

Bases loaded, so what?

52. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:41 pm

If the Padres had Raul, three runs would have scored on that one.

53. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 7:42 pm

I actually kinda like the Padres design… what I think is lame (and doesn’t surprise me considering it’s the M’s) is that the Padres have the proper batting helmets. I would think for all the money this team makes they could at the very least come up with some matching batting helmets.

54. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 7:42 pm

erm… the Padres have proper helmets and we don’t. Sorry bout that.

55. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:42 pm

Nice arm, that Beltre.

56. scraps on June 27th, 2008 7:43 pm

Probably not, since they’re the Orix Buffaloes now.

Also, they’re a half game out of last place right now, and finished in last place last year.

57. argh on June 27th, 2008 7:47 pm

matching batting helmets

They tried but the powder blue hats made them look like a bunch of PanAm flight attendants. This wasn’t so bad, considering they’ve been playing like flight attendants but the killer was it made them look like PanAm flight attendants from the 1960′s and that just would have spoiled the whole promotion.

58. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 7:48 pm

Ron. Freaking. Fairly. It really is turn back the clock night.

Record for most LOB in one game: 20.

59. Phightin Phils on June 27th, 2008 7:49 pm

Before this series ends, teams’ combined losses will be over 100. In June.

60. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 7:49 pm

Ron’s key to the game? Keep the ball down.

61. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 7:49 pm

57: Plus, they’d have looked like extras from “Catch Me If You Can.”

62. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 7:51 pm

Trivia: The Orix Buffaloes’ pitching coach is Marcel Lachemann, Rene’s brother.

63. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 7:53 pm

Yeah, except the helmets for the road were the same as the home games. The same blue that is on their helmets.

64. Benne on June 27th, 2008 7:54 pm

For those using Gameday, what do you think of the new 3-D mode? I think it’s kinda cool, even though it slows down the action at times. I’m okay with the tradeoff, though.

65. oac001 on June 27th, 2008 7:55 pm

lmao did anyone just hear what the Padres’ announcer said about Seattle utilizing their DH spot well?

66. msb on June 27th, 2008 7:55 pm

such a burning question– which will break through first? the terrible pitching on both sides or the terrible hitting on both sides?

67. scott19 on June 27th, 2008 7:56 pm

Probably not, since they’re the Orix Buffaloes now.

Wonder if they’re the great blue Buffaloes these days?

68. scott19 on June 27th, 2008 7:57 pm

That’s now 8 LOB in three innings…way to go M’s!

69. tgf on June 27th, 2008 8:00 pm

I like it. It’s not really slowing the game action for me.

70. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 8:00 pm

I know that guy! He tried to get me to sign a petition outside Trader Joes!

71. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 8:06 pm

Yeesh, a halfway decent baseball team would be up by at least three by now.

Anyone else think Lopez looks like he’s wearing a giant set of pajamas? He would be if the M’s used the period correct elastic band pants instead of the the belted pants their using tonight.

72. Jeff Nye on June 27th, 2008 8:06 pm

I really wish this whole “throwback uniform” thing would go away.

There’s a reason neither team wears these hideous uniforms anymore.

73. scott19 on June 27th, 2008 8:07 pm

I’m predicting a 1-0 win for the Friars…as Washout gets burned on a solo HR from somebody.

Meanwhile, a nifty 14 H, 8 BB shutout for Wolf.

74. don52656 on June 27th, 2008 8:07 pm

Actually, I miss Ron Fairly.

75. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 8:11 pm

Ron’s key to the game? Keep the ball down.

Best thing about Ron, he’ll still be talking about that in the 8th inning.

76. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 8:12 pm

Meanwhile, a nifty 14 H, 8 BB shutout for Wolf.

Jinx

77. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 8:12 pm

Crap, first time I quote anybody, I knew I’d screw that up.

78. scott19 on June 27th, 2008 8:14 pm

Wow…guess that prediction didn’t last long — which is good.

79. Breadbaker on June 27th, 2008 8:16 pm

Actually, I miss Ron Fairly.

You can have him. He treated the entire audience like it was listening to its first baseball game.

80. don52656 on June 27th, 2008 8:19 pm

I’ll take Fairly, you can have Sims.

81. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 8:21 pm

80 – Sad, but I actually agree with you…

82. msb on June 27th, 2008 8:22 pm

gee, I wonder why they’ve never brought back the “Turn ahead the clock” unis?

One of the few ground-breaking innovations actually created by the Mariners….

83. don52656 on June 27th, 2008 8:25 pm

81, they didn’t let him do it much, but Fairly was actually a good play-by-play guy. And even if he wasn’t the best color guy, he didn’t take himself seriously and seemed to have fun calling the game. And he wasn’t a homer, which I appreciated.

84. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 8:25 pm

There’s a youtube link somewhere of the Sportscenter anchors just making all sorts of fun about the turn ahead the clock unis. Pretty funny.

85. Benne on June 27th, 2008 8:29 pm

gee, I wonder why they’ve never brought back the “Turn ahead the clock” unis?

One of the few ground-breaking innovations actually created by the Mariners….

Those unis were a slight against God. Absolutely hideous.

86. scott19 on June 27th, 2008 8:32 pm

Those “Turn Ahead the Clock” unis were actually kinda cool…the only thing is, the last (only?) time I remember that promotion, it was against the Twins and Gil Meche wound up getting his rear end handed to him in that game.

87. hincandenza on June 27th, 2008 8:34 pm

This is the the TATC link…

88. Phightin Phils on June 27th, 2008 8:35 pm

Ha! Speaking of not being a homer…I think I just heard Dave Niehaus joke with Fairly that Ron’s last year’s numbers look better than a lot of the current Mariners!

89. msb on June 27th, 2008 8:36 pm

over on the radio side Red was tweaking Dave for messing up Brian Giles’ name (“Warren Giles? I thought you were going to introduce me as Carl Fairly”) and when talking about his half-a-season stats in ’78, Dave pointed out that his 1/2 season numbers looked really good when you looked at the numbers they’ve been seeing all season …

90. pumpkinhead on June 27th, 2008 8:39 pm

I’m liking this Vidroless lineup thing…

Ichiro! 3/4!

91. hincandenza on June 27th, 2008 8:47 pm

Didn’t someone say the LOB record was 20? Whoohoo! With 4 more half-innings to go, there’s no way the Mariners don’t add another notch to their season of record-breakers!

92. msb on June 27th, 2008 8:59 pm

they did it first in ’98 vs KC, and then the next year (when everbody else joined in) they played the Twins.

Jr decided the unis looked better (so to speak) with backwards hats, and without the t-shirt sleeves hanging out of the pixie-vests, so he cut the sleeves off of his undershirt– a lot of the guys followed suit, and it was like a lot of Ted Kluszewskis out there

93. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 9:02 pm

Washburn last 28 days: 3.13 ERA

Hopefully teams see that, like it, and offer us something for him. That is, if they don’t look at his other stats.

94. pgreyy on June 27th, 2008 9:04 pm

I LOVED the ’98 Marniers TATC uniforms…

…not so much the ’99 efforts.

Hell, how can you not love a uniform that makes Rob Ducey look cool?!?!

95. AZ Ms Fan on June 27th, 2008 9:05 pm

Intentionally walking willie, theres something you wont see everyday.

96. Mariners121212 on June 27th, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow! how can you possibly want to intentionally walk bloomquist

I would much rather pitch to him than Washburn.

97. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:06 pm

in ’02 they went through an amazing LOB streak the 2nd half — I actually started noting it down on the game log. Their high that year was 18 vs Texas in about the 2nd from the last week of the year …

98. Benne on June 27th, 2008 9:07 pm

7 walks? Who are these guys, and what have they done with the Mariners?

99. pumpkinhead on June 27th, 2008 9:07 pm

How many baserunners on third do you think have stolen home during an intentional walk? Surely it has happened in the past?

100. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:09 pm

This is the the TATC link…

dang, I wish I could watch video on this pea-brained machine.

101. Mariners121212 on June 27th, 2008 9:10 pm

AL

New York [vs Boston]

09-21-1956

A new record was just made.

102. housedjbo on June 27th, 2008 9:10 pm

is it just me or does the powder blue make the Mariners look fat?

103. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 9:13 pm

is it just me or does the powder blue make the Mariners look fat?

Nah, that’s just Carlos Silva.

104. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:16 pm

nothing makes Ichiro! look fat.

105. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 9:21 pm

Nice, Dave. You just said 1870 throwback night.

106. pumpkinhead on June 27th, 2008 9:22 pm

I think the uniforms make them look like little kids, wearing over-sized onesies that you see on toddlers.

107. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 9:24 pm

Ah, there’s Wash, I thought we’d lost him there for about 6 innings.

108. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:26 pm

Chase Headley was on the phone to the Beavers broadcast booth last night during the PCL game broadcast, talking about how exciting it has been to have been called up to the bigs

109. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 9:38 pm

I REALLY wish they would make the jerseys ‘True’ throwbacks and make them cut like the originals as well and not just look like them.

In fact, that was the original plan until they had Silva try on the original style cut. The marketing staff went blind and changes were promptly made.

Now if only I could figure out why my girlfriend has this obsession with what she calls ‘poop brown’ Padres jerseys…

110. jlc on June 27th, 2008 9:38 pm

In my zombie-like devotion (addiction? insanity?) I’m still watching all the Mariner games, but these guys are draining my love of baseball. I can’t decide whether I prefer watching them get their asses kicked by a good team that plays good baseball, or watching them in a close game where nobody plays good baseball.

Please, baseball gods, give me something besides Ichiro! every night and Felix every fifth game. I know I can’t get a healthy Beltre’ this season, but what about a Lopez that can consistently catch a routine grounder? Just some little surprise to remind me of how wonderful the game is.

111. NJ Ms on June 27th, 2008 9:44 pm

wash is a much better NL pitcher, someone has to want him in the NL

112. killer_ewok18 on June 27th, 2008 9:44 pm

I wonder what the record for skinniest manager is… Riggleman is up there…

113. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:45 pm

you know, this is like watching an NBA “Turn back the clock to 1978″ night if the players elected to wear long baggy shorts instead of the classic short-shorts.

114. NJ Ms on June 27th, 2008 9:46 pm

yea kenji is the problem wash…last 2 games he has caught when you pitched and you did well against the nl teams but if he or anyone catches you against a al team look out….do you think it may be the DH that is your problem?

115. msb on June 27th, 2008 9:47 pm

I wonder what the record for skinniest manager is… Riggleman is up there

Riggleman looks in shape, though– unlike the scrawny Jimmy Leyland

116. JerBear on June 27th, 2008 9:53 pm

Anyone in SD going to the game tomorrow night?

117. NJ Ms on June 27th, 2008 9:56 pm

scrappy willie even get the calls he was out

118. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 9:56 pm

Here it comes…..YES! ‘outstanding hustle out of the box’, i love Rizz, always comes through in the clutch.

119. Jeff Nye on June 27th, 2008 10:01 pm

I missed commenting on it earlier, but…

What is your reaction as a pitcher when you’re instructed to intentionally walk Willie Bloomquist?

I’m not sure I wouldn’t ask for a trade on the spot.

120. PaulMolitorCocktail on June 27th, 2008 10:02 pm

I want to see Guevara throw a sinker to Castro.

121. NJ Ms on June 27th, 2008 10:08 pm

not a bad stroke from Morrow…why is it that our young pitchers are better hitters then the people we have playing 1B and DH?

122. Sports on a Schtick on June 27th, 2008 10:09 pm

Wow. I am totally digging the new 3-D Gameday.

123. dingdangdo on June 27th, 2008 10:14 pm

[ot]
    Wow, Wash is looking good lately, I feel like such a jerk for doubting him today, but then it is the Padres.

124. Sports on a Schtick on June 27th, 2008 10:17 pm

Every M’s fan should hope Washburn pitches well. Then maybe the team can trick a GM into trading for him.

125. astroboy on June 27th, 2008 10:22 pm

As ‘less than pretty’ as the Columbia Blues may be, if the M’s play like this wearing these I’m all for them playing in these unis for awhile.

What was uglier though, these baby blue or Colorado’s all black vests from last year?

126. scraps on June 27th, 2008 10:50 pm

Riggleman looks in shape, though– unlike the scrawny Jimmy Leyland

Well, Leyland is 63.

127. msb on June 27th, 2008 11:28 pm

Shannon said that she thought when Joh went out to talk with Washburn before facing A. Gonzalez at the end of the game that they looked relaxed talking — she waited until the other media walked away to ask Wash if that was the case, giving him the option to not answer.

He said that he did want to answer, and when asked “more on the same page?” said (this is my hasty transcribing of a long ramble) “yeah, very much, when Roger [Hansen] was brought in and spoke to Joh, we knew that communication was an issue, Joh and I have done a lot of work behind the scenes to get better, Roger must have said something that made it click, because the communication is better, I’ve said before, I love Joh, he’s a great guy”

Drayer reminds us that Hansen spent 3 years in Japan, with the same team that Joh later played for

128. Breadbaker on June 28th, 2008 12:36 am

M’s had someone steal home against them on a walk, but not an intentional one, the Indians I think.

129. pgreyy on June 28th, 2008 1:25 am

We left too many guys on base, to be sure…but I think I could manage accepting a Mariners team where, for the rest of the year, Washburn gives up 2 runs over 7 2/3rds and we score enough runs to win.

If it means losing the running jokes about Washburn not getting along with Johjima, I’ll take it. If it means accepting WFB as our singles hitting platoon CF, I’ll take it. If it means accepting Raul as our LF and not our DH, I’ll take it. If it means accepting Brandon Morrow as a lights out closer and not the starter he might become, I’ll take it.

I have no illusions that this team isn’t the trainwreck it’s proven itself to be so far…and winning a few games shouldn’t change anyone’s mind…but it can make the rest of this season more bearable…and I’ll take it.

To me, the thing I took from this game is that it sure seems like Richie has already lost his patience for his new “I’ve adjusted and now I’m a slap hitting singles guy” approach and has gone back to swinging and missing mightily… Is there any point in letting this particular farce go on?