I’ve been tinkering with Mariner sim seasons in preperation for my traditional giant post on the topic, and some interesting things have emerged.
– If you don’t think Betancourt’s going to play decent defense, Ronny Cedeno doesn’t look so bad. The difference in their offense isn’t projected to be so great that you’d tolerate more than a couple runs drop defensively, and Betancourt’s defense needs to come way, way back for it to be close
– I totally dig the potential Shelton/Branyan platoon. It’s just awesome.
– Griffey essentially resolves the question of whether you want to carry a third catcher (no) but the choice between Burke and Rob Johnson’s interesting.
– Here’s the rotation I’ve been using, in the interests of realism: Felix, Bedard, Morrow, Jarrod, Silva.
– Here’s the rotation I’ve been using when I want to win: Felix, Bedard, Morrow, Jarrod, Rowland-Smith.
– Bullpen’s like picking names out of a hat, really. In real life, it’s awesome that the only Mariner pitchers not to issue a walk are Shawn Kelley and Randy Freaking Messenger. And, I guess, the Newer Slimmer Carlos Silva.
– When I play the season out game-by-game, it’s remarkably more fun than last year’s version
– Especially when Felix, Morrow, or Bedard starts.
So what else is going on?
Johjima got ejected in Japan’s WBC loss to Korea. Ejected! Johjima! And tomorrow we get Japan v Cuba @ 8pm and US vs Venezuela at… four? And if you think you’ve seen incoherent internet commentary, I’d like to point you to the comments sections on those game posts.
WOW! I love this. Red Sox fans and Yankee fans TEAMING UP ON SOME PUERTO RICO FREAKIN Azz!! Think if Yankee fans Merged with Red Sox fans in the same stadium rooting for team USA… They would make the other country cry because we were so loud haha
Or how about
japan got luck in the previous game with Cuba, but this time, they’ll never get a luck again i think. Korea and Cuba will likely in semi. japanese showed a typical loser today. they have no power to recover. btw, who got the biggest luck in the 1st WBC? neddless to say it was japan
Of course it’s all fixed so the US will win (allowing the WBC to survive), but it’s good to see people worked up about baseball.
Spring training game at 6, when the M’s play a split squad game against their road squad from 2007… wait, that’s the Royals!
I’m sick and tired of Dave’s East Coast bias. I’m sure in his continuing Fangraphs series he’ll rate the M’s #16 or something because he hates us so much. Have you noticed that so far only one east coast team (the Nationals) appears in the bottom half? Unless you want to count the Reds or the Marlins, pfffft.
First day without the PI.
Can’t Alex Rodriguez afford handlers who run in arms waving to interrupt, for example, staggeringly embarrassing photo shoots? Or afterwards get the photos back before they’re distributed? I just… wow. What was the photographer saying to get him to do that?
This is going to make some portion of you immediately spend $50. After finally breaking down and buying one after years of gadget envy, I found out that Amazon’s got the Leatherman Skeletool CX for $50. Fifty bucks. With free shipping! You could resell them on eBay and clear $10 each.