Game 18, Mariners at Angels

DMZ · April 25, 2009 at 4:31 pm · Filed Under Mariners

6:05. FSN. Given Silva’s pitch-to-contact nature, this would be a fine time to go to the best possible defensive lineup.

Some pre-game thoughts for your consideration and discussion.

Players with 50 or more plate appearances and no walks:
Bengie Molina, C, SF
Yuniesky Betancourt, SS, Sea

Fielding percentage is nothing. The broadcast crew’s mentioned a couple times now that the M’s are having defensive problems. As a team, this is absolutely not true. And I rarely use italics.

Yes, they’re near the bottom in fielding percentage. But look closer. In terms of raw balls put into play turned into outs, the M’s are 10th in the majors. Last year they were 26th. Using an advanced defensive measure like UZR that looks at play by play, the M’s are the best defensive team in baseball right now… by five runs.

Now if you look at individual UZR, Betancourt is big problem, Ichiro’s below-average initially (but we’ve got every reason to have faith). But the two new outfielders are putting up world-beating numbers. We’ve liked using the example of the Winn-Cameron-Ichiro! outfield before to talk about how good these guys could be. And yeah, they’re that good. This is a stellar defensive outfield.

This is another example of how a story originating in the flaws of bad metrics gets repeated by people who have a public forum and ta da! everyone’s worried about the team’s defensive issues.

This is a team designed to play great defense, and they’re playing great defense. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comments

273 Responses to “Game 18, Mariners at Angels”

1. joser on April 25th, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, if the “bad defense” meme gets Betancourt to either continue to play the way he did yesterday, or get replaced by someone who consistently plays the way Betancourt did yesterday, it would be a good thing (as much as I hate to see the good defenders besmirched by ignorant “one size fits all” slander).

That’s the really frustrating thing about Betancourt: periodically he reminds us why we raved about him in his first year. But those teasing glimpses seem to be getting rarer and rarer, and as his offensive contribution falls back to earth it just makes it all the more annoying.

2. Dave on April 25th, 2009 5:12 pm

If you haven’t yet, go read Shannon Drayer’s piece about the Angels and how they’re dealing with the Adenhart situation.

Also, no Gutierrez tonight, which I’m actually okay with – he probably needs a day off, Balentien needs to get some at-bats, and better with Silva on the mound than Washburn tomorrow.

3. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 5:19 pm

Yeah, Drayer is so great.

4. msb on April 25th, 2009 5:27 pm

I think it was Hudler who was using errors to point out how bad defensively the M’s were as a team

5. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 5:34 pm

Derek – now that we have the edit function back (yay!!!!), was there any reason that we stopped numbering the comments and went to bullet points instead?

6. HamNasty on April 25th, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the link to the Drayer article. I live in Colorado so I miss stories like that.

Gutz did need a day off and as Dave said better today then another starters day. Here is to hoping we tee off on random minor league guy so defense doesn’t matter tonight!

7. Breadbaker on April 25th, 2009 5:37 pm

I’m not a math guy, but would the M’s improve by replacing Yuni with someone like how I remember Ray Oyler in ’68 or the young Omar, i.e., someone who can field everything at short but hits like a pitcher? My gut says that it might be about a wash, but that the team can’t quite afford having even more of an offensive sink given the dearth of plus offensive guys already. But I’d be interested if someone could show how it works mathematically.

8. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 5:38 pm

The Yankees/Red Sox game is crazy.

And it looks like the result is going to be a happy one.

9. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 5:38 pm

A run saved is as good as a run scored, right?

10. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 5:39 pm

Yes, there was a reason we dropped numbers.

11. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 5:43 pm

Both the Yankees and Red Sox are going to lose? Yesssssssssssss!!

12. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 5:49 pm

Yes, there was a reason we dropped numbers.

Oh ok.

13. Patrick517 on April 25th, 2009 5:56 pm

If this year’s team has problems with defense then I don’t want to know how they’d describe last year’s team. Chavez is light years better than Raul and anybody’s dog would do a better job than Richie Sexson at first.

14. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 6:00 pm

Keys to the game (from Blowers on radio pre-game show):

Silva has to keep the M’s in the game.
    And to do that he needs to throw first pitch strikes.

15. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 6:01 pm

They’ll be strikes all right. Isn’t that what a batting practice pitcher tosses?

16. Trademark on April 25th, 2009 6:01 pm

So I have mlb.tv for the month, and I just have to note that Rex Hudler sounds almost exactly like the creepy Santa on an LP I found in a thrift store.

TM

17. DLCheeZ on April 25th, 2009 6:06 pm

Some think that the M’s can’t hit big league pitching.

Welcome to the show, Anthony Ortega!

18. cgmonk on April 25th, 2009 6:08 pm

Shouldn’t the organization make the broadcast crew aware of other statistics?

19. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 6:10 pm

Shouldn’t the organization make the broadcast crew aware of other statistics?

1. That assumes the organization is aware of the other statistics.
    2. Only if those statistics show them in a positive light (so in this case, yes).

20. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 6:12 pm

I’m really dreading this game. I can’t think of a single game where the M’s have dominated a rookie pitcher.

21. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 6:13 pm

That’s not a bad start.

22. Mr. Egaas on April 25th, 2009 6:16 pm

Bunt!

23. fiftyone on April 25th, 2009 6:16 pm

If “M’s defense sucks” means “let’s no longer play Jamie Burke at first, Balentien in the OF, or YuniE6sky at short,” then yes, sign me up.

24. CougJustin on April 25th, 2009 6:22 pm

Branyan!!! Welcome back.

25. zvazda on April 25th, 2009 6:23 pm

Boy, I’m glad he’s back.

26. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 6:23 pm

My reverse curse works!

27. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 6:23 pm

If Silva comes out of this with a decent line, it will be credited to having early offensive support.

28. cgmonk on April 25th, 2009 6:23 pm

By the way Niehaus called that home run I thought it was going to be a fly ball to end the inning.

29. zzyzx on April 25th, 2009 6:23 pm

This Branyan signing just might have been a good idea.

30. kyoko on April 25th, 2009 6:24 pm

Russ Branyan is a sex god.

31. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 6:25 pm

That looked like a check swing and he knocked it out of the park. He’s got crazy power.

32. Mr. Egaas on April 25th, 2009 6:26 pm

But, it’s going to allow him to “attack” the strike zone with an arsenal of junker balling.

Pew pew pew!

33. natebracy on April 25th, 2009 6:26 pm

Jeez, I hate the three run homer. It’s such a rally killer. Runners keep the pressure on.

34. themedia on April 25th, 2009 6:26 pm

I. Love. Russell. Branyan. Love him.

35. fiftyone on April 25th, 2009 6:26 pm

Welcome to the bigs, Ortega.

36. CougJustin on April 25th, 2009 6:28 pm

Silva really needs to have a quick inning here so the offense can get back the welcoming Ortega.

37. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 6:30 pm

If you want to follow the game on the cool pitchfx tool, here’s the link

38. truntle on April 25th, 2009 6:30 pm

A 1-2-3 inning by Silva, do my eyes deceive me?

39. msb on April 25th, 2009 6:30 pm

Does Silva look heavier than he did just a week ago?

Maybe it’s the road uni.

40. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 6:35 pm

As someone who used to work on the road, msb, I fully expect to watch Silva return to last year’s form–the form of a panda bear, that is–because it’s much harder to control your food intake under time pressures, living in hotels.

41. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 6:36 pm

Silva looks fine so far, as I expected to… I know is early but I liked what I saw

42. kyoko on April 25th, 2009 6:36 pm

Can’t believe how slow Torii looks out there.

43. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 6:36 pm

I think that most MLB teams can control this if they choose to. Waka Waka needs to pull the trigger on this panda bear’s food…

44. truntle on April 25th, 2009 6:37 pm

Will Yuni ever get a walk? I just wanna know. The guy needs to take a few pitches.

45. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 6:37 pm

Where the hell was Hunter on that one?

46. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 6:37 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, your professional hitter, Yunieski Betancourt.

47. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 6:42 pm

1. That assumes the organization is aware of the other statistics.
    2. Only if those statistics show them in a positive light (so in this case, ye
    s).

So you’re implying that they wouldn’t have wanted to show them last season?( Actually, the last 3 seasons or so) Why would that be?

48. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 6:42 pm

Is that a serious question?

49. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 6:44 pm

Slimmer guy still make them look for something, that´s good

50. hark on April 25th, 2009 6:45 pm

I don’t care how long you’ve been in the league, but at some point you have to see results for a lot of the hard work. And he’s put it in. And to do that you have to win games. –Mike Blowers, BOT 2

…hard work–>results, which are shown by “wins.” ‘Cause wins are a reliable metric for measuring a pitcher’s talent, and hard work is as valuable as talent. I was a Blowers fan when he was playing, but he is a horrendous color commentator.

51. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 6:46 pm

Richie Sexson has 306 career HR

52. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 6:47 pm

Is that a serious question?

Sorry Derek. I was being facetious. Feeble attempt at humor. I’ll try to do better next time.

53. hark on April 25th, 2009 6:47 pm

Trivia answer: Richie Sexson. Wow.

54. zzyzx on April 25th, 2009 6:50 pm

What the heck is Beltre arguing about about the appeal?

55. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 6:51 pm

Damn, it hurts me to see Beltre and Griffey below the Mendoza line as of this game… is Ortega’s stuff that good, or are our hitters that bad this year?

56. hark on April 25th, 2009 6:51 pm

zzyzx–

Maybe that he didn’t get the appeal because the home plate ump ruled that he swung without help from first?

57. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 6:52 pm

Derek misspelled a player’s name, Derek misspelled a player’s name… (in post).

:>

58. hark on April 25th, 2009 6:54 pm

Dear God, did you see how high Ichiro! got on that wall? Granted, he didn’t catch it, but he isn’t human. He’s Spider-Man!

59. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 6:54 pm

I still have faith in slimmer and replay

60. fiftyone on April 25th, 2009 6:55 pm

And faith in the dude wearing the M’s cap.

61. hark on April 25th, 2009 6:56 pm

I still have faith in slimmer and replay

If you have faith in Slimmer, you’re beyond hope. If you have faith in replay…well, okay, but this time it’s a home run. And replay will say as much. I was wrong. I’m an idiot

62. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 6:57 pm

What the heck is Beltre arguing about about the appeal?

He might have been concerned about the pitcher coming up…

Well, our leading hitter is Chavez. Granted, it’s early, but still…

Give it some time though. Things will work out.

63. fiftyone on April 25th, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeah baby. My faith beat up your faith.

64. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 6:58 pm

Oh joy, a replay. Argh.

I’m not a math guy, but would the M’s improve by replacing Yuni with someone like how I remember Ray Oyler in ‘68 or the young Omar, i.e., someone who can field everything at short but hits like a pitcher?

Yuni, as things stand now, is just about a replacement level player.

65. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 6:58 pm

And faith in the dude wearing the M’s cap.

Didn’t know Jeffrey Maier was a Mariners fan these days. :)

66. egreenlaw9 on April 25th, 2009 6:59 pm

If Silva comes out of this with a poor line, it will be because he had to wait for the not-so-instant replay on that call.

67. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 6:59 pm

And we have our first Scioscia arguing a call…

I haven’t had a ball come at me when I’ve been in outfield seats, but why, in all that is holy, does a hometown fan reach for a ball in the field of play? Is it a reflex that you can’t control? Does the urge for a souvenir overcome your need for your team to win?

68. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 7:01 pm

I was wondering why it didn’t seem like the (douchey) Mariners fan was ejected. Is it less wrong to reach for a homer than for a ball down the line?

69. cgmonk on April 25th, 2009 7:01 pm

Niehaus on the trivia answer of Richie Sexson, “He’s probably watching.”

70. egreenlaw9 on April 25th, 2009 7:02 pm

Ha ha!

Niehaus – “Richie’s probably watching tonight…”

71. BiC on April 25th, 2009 7:03 pm

I’ve gotten into trouble a couple times for appearing contrary on this site; let me use this to state that I agree completely. DMZ nails it. Not just his specific argument, but the overall theme of the bully pulpit in baseball.

72. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 7:03 pm

Silva’s sinker looks crappy, just like it usually looks. He hasn’t gotten a decent break on a pitch yet.

73. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:04 pm

And after the wait for that instant replay, Silva suddenly can’t throw strikes. –Dave Niehaus

It’s not the wait, Dave. It’s Silva’s actual talent level catching up with him.

74. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 7:05 pm

(on consideration, I shouldn’t hotlink that as it’s a live-updated image)

75. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 7:06 pm

So, we should have let them have the homerun? Just so Silva didn’t lose his mojo?

76. Diehard on April 25th, 2009 7:07 pm

Great the trainer just brought out a few mini sirloin burgers for Silva…..

77. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:08 pm

True and false, respectively.

Having faith in any incarnation of the chef is a lot like believivng that The Monkeys are going to have a reunion tour.

Replay is too new to really have anything negative to say. But it does, so far, seem to be reliable. Initial gut feeling is still reasonable.

78. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 7:08 pm

The wheels on the bus are falling off… c’mon Seattle offense, we need to cook up some more offense for the chef!

79. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:10 pm

oish, a changeup to out his oldmate

80. kyoko on April 25th, 2009 7:10 pm

Great chart DMZ. I’ve never seen a pitcher with less movement on their pitches.

81. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:13 pm

Well, as it turns out, Branyan’s HR proved to be kryptonite for Silva — since, for some reason, he just can’t stand pitching with a lead.

82. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:13 pm

They really need to fix this endless “instant” replay wander-off-the-field crap. Add one more official to the crew (the ump union will be happy) who sits up in the booth with an engineer who can get him any replay from any camera. Give him a secure radio link to a bud in the ear of the crew chief, or the home plate ump, or whatever. All he has to do is sit and watch the coverage, requesting replays as needed, and whispering in the ears of the on-field guys “everybody watching at home knows you just blew that call” whenever necessary. They could even extend it to calls beyond home run calls — the umpires already have conferences to get calls right, and nobody has to know if it was the eyes on the field or the eyes in the booth that got it right.

83. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:14 pm

Balentien justifying his start.

84. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:14 pm

WLAD!

85. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:14 pm

Balentien! Nice swat.

86. crazyray7391 on April 25th, 2009 7:14 pm

Good for Wlad, but now we get to hear people talking about how he should start over Gutz because of his power.

87. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 7:14 pm

Wladdy!

88. msb on April 25th, 2009 7:15 pm

The wheels on the bus are falling off…

I thought that was tomorrow’s song….

Hah! didn’t fool him THAT time.

89. egreenlaw9 on April 25th, 2009 7:15 pm

Joser – that’s a great idea.

90. Diehard on April 25th, 2009 7:15 pm

Wow a WLAD BLAST! He actually hit a breaking ball granted it was hanging like crazy.

91. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 7:17 pm

Ha ha ha. WTF Blowers?

huuuuuuuuuuuge jump

92. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 7:18 pm

I thought that was tomorrow song….

It applies to both Wash and Silva now!

93. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:18 pm

silva is pretty ok abouy movement, what about location for now?

94. NLhamster on April 25th, 2009 7:19 pm

The umps on scene don’t make the replay call, They’ve got supervisors in NYC with all feeds, and they make the call.

95. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 7:19 pm

Ooh! Ooh! Walk, Yuni, walk!

96. Steve T on April 25th, 2009 7:19 pm

I love that Sims and Blowers and a large number of Seattle fans think Branyan is going to hit 30+ dingers — something he’s never come close to

97. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 7:19 pm

OK never mind, that’s better.

98. burlyqueen on April 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

Rob Johnson must have a “Night of the Lepus” size rabbit’s foot in his pocket.

99. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

…that was a good at bat. By YUNI. (Lauren, your powers are amazing.)

100. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

Joser. That’s probably the best idea I have seen regarding replay. Have you sent it to the league?

Nice hit there.

101. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

Joser,

That is a great idea and it’s insane that neither baseball nor football does replay that way.

I have a theory why.

Their goal isn’t to get the call right. It’s to make fans think they care about getting the call right. It’s like the TSA going through their elaborate shoe-sniffing routine, rummaging through your underwear, patting down the super models, etc. Doesn’t do much for security, but the rubes think they’re serious.

102. msb on April 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

Does Gary Matthews really still “have wheels”?

103. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:21 pm

i mean ok as not good

104. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:21 pm

Yuni…clutching out!

That’s something you don’t see every day…

105. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 7:22 pm

yeah, that dugout shot of Silva shows a nice fat roll developing on the back of his neck….

Every time I see Gary Matthews being ordinary, I remember the HUGE fuss over who was going to be the lucky winner of his contract.

So naturally, Matthews gives me a big fuck you.

106. kyoko on April 25th, 2009 7:22 pm

This Angels outfield is terrible. it’s like having three Rauls out there. It’s great.

107. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:22 pm

Waka Waka needs to pull the trigger on this panda bear’s food…

Waka Waka? Is this the M’s manager?
    So is this the GM? (With one of his mad experiments.)

108. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:23 pm

Boo Gary Matthews, Jr.! Boo!

109. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:23 pm

Did slimmer have put his ball at least in good location?

110. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:26 pm

Carlos Silva. Ugh.

111. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:26 pm

Great, now we’re going to be watching through smoke for the next 10 minutes.

112. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:26 pm

Go Silva!

*puking*

113. DMZ on April 25th, 2009 7:26 pm

Silva, determined to keep this competitive

114. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:28 pm

Niehaus, quite appropriately, noted that Morales’ blast was “up on the rocks”.

Yes…just like the Chef’s game will be shortly.

115. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:28 pm

That’s was metrics question so far, but whatever forget it…

116. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:29 pm

Did slimmer have put his ball at least in good location?

If you’re talking about the home run ball, well, it WAS good for someone…

117. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:29 pm

wow that surprised me

118. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 7:29 pm

I love getting USSM Twitter updates on my phone. They make me smile even when Silva is on the mound.

119. egreenlaw9 on April 25th, 2009 7:30 pm

I like to DVR the games Silva pitches, start watching it about 45 minutes after the game starts – that way I can FF through Silva’s half of the inning.

Trust me, it makes watching him far less painful.

120. fallingceilingtiles on April 25th, 2009 7:30 pm

silva looked weirdly smooth starting that DP. is he at all known as a decent fielding pitcher?

121. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:31 pm

lol scott19.

“will be”??? seriously? More like “is” and “has been” can’t be too far off either.

122. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:32 pm

I mean graphics a about location of the flat pitch

123. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:34 pm

just like the Chef’s game will be shortly already is

There, I fixed it.

124. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:34 pm

Carlos Silva in charge right now! –David Sims, TOP 5

This broadcast team (with the exception of Niehaus) makes me waffle between laughing and getting depressed when I realize their stupidity, asking myself “Are they serious?”

125. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:36 pm

In charge of what, though? The snack bar, perhaps?

126. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 7:36 pm

I must be the only person who likes Sims and Blowers in the booth. Especially when Sims says something that goes way over Blowers head and there’s about a 10 second long awkward silence.

127. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:36 pm

Hark,

I feel ya brother. Especially with mr “happy totals”

128. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:37 pm

lerasso–

That graphic was pulled from Brooks Baseball’s Pitch F/X. You can see normalized strike zone plots (and RH/LH splits) by going to there, which DMZ already linked to. If, however, you need someone else to do it for you…click here.

129. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:37 pm

I know. That’s part of the reason it takes so long. I think my proposal would be better, and actually more in keeping with the traditions of the game.

There’s undoubtedly something to that. Officiating theater makes as much sense as security theater, and for many of the same reasons. Any human system that is lacking in tight feedback loops is prone to people going through the motions, emphasizing the appearance of work rather than the effectiveness of it — as any bureaucracy or large office demonstrates.

But I think there’s also a sort of institutional blindness. Baseball already had a system in place to review disputed calls after the fact, based out of their offices in New York. As is so often the case with new technology, they just automated the system they already had, rather than trying to exploit the technology to do the job better.

And no, I’ve never proposed it to MLB. When was the last time anyone in baseball listened to anything a fan had to say? (Felix reading Dave’s blog post doesn’t count ;) )

130. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:39 pm

In charge of what, though? The snack bar, perhaps?

Oyster bar, Desert bar, Omelet bar… as long as it doesn’t start with “salad” it probably applies.

131. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:40 pm

Sims should stick to football. Blowers should stick to his wife’s horse ranch in Spanaway.

132. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 7:40 pm
  133. smatbte51 on April 25th, 2009 7:41 pm

Betancourt range up the middle? What…………?

134. hark on April 25th, 2009 7:41 pm

ZOMG, Yuni range! It exists!

135. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:43 pm

Well, I figure if Silva really decides to send this game sideways in a hurry, the Sounders-San Jose game is just starting…as well as the Sharks-Ducks NHL playoff game…so, at least there’ll be something else on worth watching.

136. Mike Snow on April 25th, 2009 7:44 pm

Go, go, Geoff Baker.

Yes, that was pretty impressive on-the-spot reporting.

137. Paul B on April 25th, 2009 7:45 pm

I’m new to that pitch site, but if I read the graphs right it looks like Silva basically has two pitches tonight. An 88 mph pitch that breaks (horizontally, but only a little vertically), and a 80 mph pitch that doesn’t.

The system tries to assign about 4 different names to those pitches, but it looks like there really is only two.

138. nvn8vbryce on April 25th, 2009 7:46 pm

Waka Waka? Is this the M’s manager?
    So is this the GM? (With one of his mad experiments.)

LOL Joser… I have to look up Wakamatsu in order to spell it correctly, so I thought that Waka Waka would be appropriate.. In regards to Z, yes, that is his experiment. Its name? Carlos Silva. That’s why it was an experiment… sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t.

139. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:47 pm

Branyan…on a tear once again!

140. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:49 pm

One thing I will say in Sims defense: sometimes he will just shut up and sit and let the sounds of the game come through. Rizzs never stops talking. If there isn’t something on the field for him to talk about he’ll start reminiscing about the south side of Chicago or plugging his Infiniti (“Say, friends…”). He just never, ever, shuts up. I don’t know if Sims just needs to take a breath or drink some water or simply isn’t capable of Rizzsian levels of verbal diarrhea, but sometimes he gives the game a little room to breathe. (Of course, if he’s sharing the booth with Rizzs, that oxygen is immediately consumed).

141. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:50 pm

Yes, that was pretty impressive on-the-spot reporting.

No kidding Mike. I’m having a tough time reigning in my enthusiasm. Maybe one day I’ll figure out how…

142. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes, that was pretty impressive on-the-spot reporting.

I agree. That’s old media doing new media reportage at its finest.

143. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:53 pm

wlad again!

144. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:53 pm

Is Branyan actually faster than he looks? Or has he just been really, really lucky?

145. Paul B on April 25th, 2009 7:53 pm

That was a scary slide by Branyan at third.

146. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 7:53 pm

That might be the first breaking ball I’ve ever seen Wlad hit.

147. msb on April 25th, 2009 7:54 pm

I wish Branyan would stop trying to mess up his back. I like it when he is actually hitting in the line-up.

148. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 7:54 pm

hark-
    I went to that site several days ago (because of you, thanks is pretty good) but in tends to see in your analysis that movement is the fact that make a pitcher effective. I’m not talking about silva, nor anybody, but the first rule as pitcher whatever stuff you have is location, location and location.

149. terry on April 25th, 2009 7:55 pm

How encouraging is it to see Wlad do that?

150. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:56 pm

Sweet. Branyan might be my new hero

151. joser on April 25th, 2009 7:56 pm

That might be the first breaking ball I’ve ever seen Wlad hit.

In which case he may be even more surprised than we are. Blind squirrels and nuts, or skills development?

152. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 7:57 pm

Again, the blazing speed of Branyan comes through…

153. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 7:58 pm

The former, I’d imagine. Wlad’s had lots of time to try to learn to hit breaking pitches, and it’s unlikely that he’s suddenly figured something out.

154. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 7:59 pm

If it were the latter, don’t you think that betancourt would have at least 1 walk so far?

155. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:00 pm

Rizzs never stops talking. If there isn’t something on the field for him to talk about he’ll start reminiscing about the south side of Chicago or plugging his Infiniti (”Say, friends…”).

Or, the ’95 or ’01 seasons…over and over again!

156. Paul B on April 25th, 2009 8:00 pm

So this is Batista’s purpose!

We were all wondering.

157. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 8:01 pm

Batista has wheels.

158. hark on April 25th, 2009 8:01 pm

So this is Batista’s purpose!

Well, y’know, Silva wasn’t doing a good enough job at trying to give it away. So we have Miggy.

159. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:02 pm

Silva and Batista are a one/two combination, only in the same game.

160. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:04 pm

Wow! 1-2-3 inning by Batista.

161. themedia on April 25th, 2009 8:04 pm

I think Wak is testing some theory that he can use only awful pitchers and still win.

162. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:06 pm

Wow! 1-2-3 inning by Batista.

Yet another example of the aforementioned “squirrel and nut” theory. :)

163. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:10 pm

I think Wak got the Chef out of there as some sort of confidence booster (i.e. so as to not to be on the hook for a change).

164. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 8:10 pm

I’m going to like this one, because my came true and and freaking slimmer is the game winner so far

165. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 8:11 pm

lerasso: I think you need a beta reader.

166. Benne on April 25th, 2009 8:12 pm

So this is what it feels like to have an offense that actually scores.

167. msb on April 25th, 2009 8:12 pm

If he keep this up, they’ll have to invent a new title for Griffey’s position.

Yay! a hit!

168. themedia on April 25th, 2009 8:13 pm

I know it’s early in the season, but what a difference a year makes—it’s surreal. Like night and day. I guess when you replace a few black holes it makes the whole lineup better.

169. Benne on April 25th, 2009 8:13 pm

Sweet! Beltre got a lucky break!

170. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:13 pm

Way to go, Beltre!

171. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:13 pm

How fickle, msb. Heh!

Dare I dream that we could win this game?

172. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:17 pm

BRANYAN!!!

173. Benne on April 25th, 2009 8:17 pm

BRANYAN!!!

174. lerasso on April 25th, 2009 8:18 pm

Lauren, Im ok with that, seriously i’m just happy for slimmer.

175. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:18 pm

I remember being sort of shocked that Branyan was available cheap.

Now I cackle like a fiend.

176. ScottBrowne on April 25th, 2009 8:18 pm

Go Branyan!

177. Diehard on April 25th, 2009 8:18 pm

Wow the rout is on!!! Branyan has given this lineup a HUGE boost!

178. enazario on April 25th, 2009 8:19 pm

It’s a singles parade!

179. TJ Dirk on April 25th, 2009 8:20 pm

I’m new here so give a bit a of a break (still wrapping my head around UZR, etc.). But doesn’t JJ Putz’s criticism seem a bit out of place now? Was it lack of leadership that caused the M’s to lose last year? No, probably just bad performance by 3/4s of the team.

180. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:21 pm

I’m just thrilled to see the team score in multiple innings.

181. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:23 pm

I remember being sort of shocked that Branyan was available cheap.

Yeah. Now if he could only hit… ;o)

182. themedia on April 25th, 2009 8:25 pm

Nice catch, Rob the catcher.

183. Rick L on April 25th, 2009 8:26 pm

Going into tonight’s game, Branyan has a 1.030 OPS

184. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:26 pm

wow, another ‘wild pitch.’

185. hark on April 25th, 2009 8:27 pm

“Wild pitch.” –Dave Sims

Passed ball.

186. vern on April 25th, 2009 8:28 pm

Yeah, but he tracked it down like a linebacker. Hot.

187. tgf on April 25th, 2009 8:28 pm

No it was that selfish Ichiro getting 213 hits. Or something.

188. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:29 pm

TJ,

Last year was a combination of Bill Bavasi and bad luck.

To the best of my knowledge and, I would surmise, most other folks who frequent this site, Bavasi has no idea what sabermetrics are. Let alone that they apply to his profession.

The rest of it was the domino effect.

189. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:32 pm

This is more like the Batista we love. Men on, dink and dunk to some runs.

Man, Dusty Baker has scarred me for life. Every time I hear an announcer mournfully saying, Player is 0-3 tonight, I think, watch out, he’s DUE! He’ll get a hit for sure!

190. gwangung on April 25th, 2009 8:34 pm

Oh,he know WHAT they were…just didn’t understand WHY they were. Didn’t understand or trust them.

191. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:34 pm

Holy shit! Go Lopez!!!

192. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 8:34 pm

Wow! Awesome catch, J Lo! Lookin’ good.

193. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 8:34 pm

So who’s up for the Bret Michaels show?

194. msb on April 25th, 2009 8:35 pm

I remember being sort of shocked that Branyan was available cheap.

I’d forgotten the love-fest article when he signed.

195. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 8:37 pm

So who’s up for the Bret Michaels show?

I’m surprised he’s not getting ready for Rock Of Love 4: Rusted-Out Station Wagon of Love!

196. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:37 pm

Ah… Riding a horse as opposed to that newfangled automobile thing. Can’t trust it just because ya don’t understand it.

197. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:39 pm

Not looking at the screen, but when I heard Sims say, “And flailing away at the ball,” I knew it would be Yuni when I looked up. And it was. Strike three, flailing.

ETA for Lauren. I had a moment, since I spell by ‘does it look right?’ and then I said, beat him, beat him like a rented mule! and it looked right.

198. Breadbaker on April 25th, 2009 8:39 pm

I’m imagining a meeting for position players only. In comes Sweeney with a note from Wak. He tears it up and throws it on the floor. “Gentlemen, the manager has decreed that Silva and Batista are the only pitchers available for this game. Do I have to tell you what that means?”

Slowly, each player nods. Then Griffey and Ichiro start a chant. “Everybody hits! Everybody hits!” And the rest of the players take it up.

As they pass into the dugout, they each look at Burger Chef and wink at each other. Just as they take the field, Branyan whispers in Ichiro’s ear, “Everybody hits!” Ichiro cracks up and replies, “全員安打”

199. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:39 pm

Now that’s FUNNY!

200. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 8:39 pm

Let me be the first to say that that was an absolute crap at-bat by my beloved Yuni.

P.S. juneau: Flailing. A flaying is what we’re giving him.

201. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:40 pm

Ichiro!

is that 3 for 4?

202. gwangung on April 25th, 2009 8:40 pm

That’s why I always used the Stone Age tools metaphor; Bavasi (and Armstrong) always preferred the chipped flint arrowheads while others were using machined stainless steel tools. (Dave and Derek have their own preferred metaphors, of course, but I’m oafish enough to use my own).

203. Paul L on April 25th, 2009 8:41 pm

From Baker’s blog:

By the way, we’re told Carlos Silva left the game with a mild stiff right shoulder.

204. hark on April 25th, 2009 8:41 pm

TranquilPsychosis–

3 for 5

205. TJ Dirk on April 25th, 2009 8:43 pm

Isn’t stiff definitive? Either it is or it isn’t stiff. How the hell can it be “mild stiff”?

206. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:44 pm

All hall of famers have at least 1 bad AB in their career…

I must say though that he’s doing a bit better defensively the last 2 games. I hope he keeps it up.

207. Steve T on April 25th, 2009 8:44 pm

I would be more eager to jump on lerasso’s sometimes shaky verb tenses if I wasn’t myself trying to learn Spanish. I will never make fun of a foreign speaker again — this is HARD!

208. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:44 pm

thanks hark

209. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:45 pm

So who’s up for the Bret Michaels show?

Nah, actually I’m waiting around for the REO Speedwagon/Night Ranger/.38 Special “Geezers of Rock” tour later this summer.

210. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:48 pm

Either he was fantasizing about the after game buffet or he mistakenly took half a “blue pill” thinking it was a crumb from his blueberry waffles from whatever breakfast house he’s frequenting these days.

211. Paul L on April 25th, 2009 8:50 pm

When you hit middle age mild stiff becomes the goal.

212. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:52 pm

Oh, no…now Niehaus just mentioned how “oustanding” Rob Johnson has been in Kenji’s absence.

That Johnson love bug that was going around the booth last night apparently is contagious.

213. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 8:53 pm

When you hit middle age mild stiff becomes the goal.

Define “mild stiff”. I’m 43 and am not having any issues being mild.

214. Breadbaker on April 25th, 2009 8:55 pm

Lowe is not having a good game.

215. ppl on April 25th, 2009 8:56 pm

I hope the M’s and Angels don’t start imitating the Yankees and Red Sox.

216. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 8:57 pm

…Whoa.

217. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 8:58 pm

Well, the two guys you think probably won’t keep you in the game (Silva, Batista) at least keep the Angels in check…then, the guy you use as a go-to (Lowe) craps his pants.

Wonder what the over/under is on that?

218. Rick L on April 25th, 2009 8:58 pm

Morrow has a chance for a save now. Think they’ll bring him in?

219. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 8:58 pm

Wlad is jealous of all of Endy Chavez’s playing time.

220. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 8:59 pm

Whoa Nellie! is more like it.

221. Nettle on April 25th, 2009 9:00 pm

Loving this new and improved defense. Even the “B” team is fun to watch. Great catch, Wlad.

222. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:01 pm

Actually I don’t mind if the Mariners imitate the Yankees/Red Sox game today, double digit runs scored.

223. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 9:02 pm

Wlad is jealous of all of Endy Chavez’s playing time.

Well, if wlad was hitting .358 with that type of defense, he might get a few more games.

224. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:04 pm

Good thing the M’s have the lead, Arredondo is scary.

225. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 9:05 pm

aardsma? wierd.

226. MarinerDan on April 25th, 2009 9:07 pm

Any word on why Morrow isn’t coming in?

227. Lauren, token chick on April 25th, 2009 9:09 pm

They’re choosing closers in alphabetical order today?

228. Rick L on April 25th, 2009 9:09 pm

The only reliever we have who can find the strike zone is Kelley. And they just took him out.

229. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:10 pm

Lead-off batter on, maybe they can double up Abreu.

230. enazario on April 25th, 2009 9:10 pm

Hang on to your knickers.

231. leon0112 on April 25th, 2009 9:12 pm

Could someone please throw a first pitch strike?

232. vern on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Oy.

233. Carson on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Argh… why is Aardsma in?

234. hark on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Morrow? Please?

235. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Well it wouldn’t be the 2009 edition of the Mariner Bullpen without drama, would it?

236. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Any word on why Morrow isn’t coming in?

Maybe we’ll see him now? *hoping*

237. djw on April 25th, 2009 9:13 pm

Crap. Aardsma’s smoke and mirrors routine was going to crumble eventually.

238. enazario on April 25th, 2009 9:15 pm

It’s not smoke and mirrors. It’s just fastballs.

239. juneau_fan on April 25th, 2009 9:15 pm

*whimper*

240. leon0112 on April 25th, 2009 9:15 pm

That was close.

241. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:16 pm

When I said I hope this doesn’t mimic the Yankee-Red Sox game today, I was only joking.

242. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 9:16 pm

Of course, Niehaus mentioned at the beginning of this inning how Aardsma hadn’t been scored on yet all year…grrr!

243. TranquilPsychosis on April 25th, 2009 9:17 pm

Wow! that was scary.

244. Nettle on April 25th, 2009 9:17 pm

That got a little too interesting — but I’ll take it.

245. Rick L on April 25th, 2009 9:17 pm

Aardsma with a Senor Smoke type of save. Our fourth consecutive win in one-run games.

246. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 9:17 pm

Catching up with a way earlier comment:

The dude had 12 HRs in 132 PA last year. He is certainly capable of hitting 30+ if he plays regularly.

247. egreenlaw9 on April 25th, 2009 9:19 pm

Silva get’s his first win in a 9-8 game.

Sounds about right.

248. zzyzx on April 25th, 2009 9:19 pm

Wow, that got a little scary at the end there. I had switched over to the Sounders but I had to go back for the end. A W is still a W though.

249. TJ Dirk on April 25th, 2009 9:20 pm

Ugly save. In fact they need to rewrite the save rule to not include giving up 2 runs in the ninth as a “save”….

250. TomTuttle on April 25th, 2009 9:22 pm

Dear god, that was harder than it should’ve been!

I need more Shawn Kelly and less Lowe, Batista and Aardsma.

251. leon0112 on April 25th, 2009 9:22 pm

That was close.

252. Benne on April 25th, 2009 9:23 pm

At least we won. But for the sake of my blood pressure, please hold on to the 6-run lead next time, guys.

253. pinball1973 on April 25th, 2009 9:25 pm

To quote Yum-Yum: Thank Goodness THAT’S over!!!

It’s in the books for good, finally. Ichiro! had three hits and two runs, and Branyan looks to be something far better than hoped.

Less drama suits me better, though, M’s.

254. TJ Dirk on April 25th, 2009 9:26 pm

I agree a W is a W (and don’t get me wrong I’m thrilled with the win) but the save rule sucks. A guy comes in with a three run lead in the ninth, gives up two runs and is credited with “saving” the game? Ugghh.

255. scott19 on April 25th, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeah, but then Jose Mesa would never have had a major league career if that were the case.

256. ppl on April 25th, 2009 9:38 pm

Bettencourt didn’t walk, but Molina didn’t either, so atleast he still has company in that category. Alfonso Soriano has nine, I-Rod has three, Garret Anderson in limited playing time has managed to get one. So are Benji and Yuni competing for the King of free swing?

257. smatbte51 on April 25th, 2009 9:39 pm

I have extra innings on comcast so I got the Angels announcers last night and tonight. Hudler really doesn’t know what he is talking about. To me is seems like he doesn’t really prepare for the game but just talks about baseball stories or whatever pops into his head. When Aarsdma came into the game he refered to him as Seattle’s closer. He didn’t even mention Morrow at all.

I would prefer the M’s announcers but it is kind of funny to listen to the Angels guys when they try to figure our how Seattle is off to such a good start.

258. MarinerDan on April 25th, 2009 9:40 pm

Was there any explanation for why Morrow wasn’t given the save opportunity? He didn’t pitch yesterday. Are we officially in a “co-closer” situation? (For the sake of my fantasy team, I sure as hell hope not.)

259. Mike Snow on April 25th, 2009 9:40 pm

I actually think we should be happy Wakamatsu knows you don’t have to use your ace reliever to hold a three-run lead for one inning, anybody should be able to do it. Assuming this wasn’t just because Morrow’s arm is sore or something.

260. Steve T on April 25th, 2009 9:42 pm

JMHawkins, you mean like, um, when? Branyan has had 400 PA once in his career, and 300 twice – a decade ago. You could just as easily say “if Griffey gets ahold of them, he could hit 400 HR this year”.

261. cgmonk on April 25th, 2009 9:43 pm

Wakamatsu said Morrow was not available tonight, I think it was back stiffness.

262. MarinerDan on April 25th, 2009 9:47 pm

Wakamatsu said Morrow was not available tonight, I think it was back stiffness.

Ah, that explains it. I hope it is nothing major.

263. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 9:55 pm

It is within the realm of possibility for Branyan to have 500 PAs this year. Your counter-example about Griffey is absurd. Perhaps you’d like to try using a less, shall we say, asnine line of argument? Or should I just ignore you?

264. MarinerDan on April 25th, 2009 9:59 pm

The absurd part of this argument is that it suggests Branyan won’t get 500+ PAs this year just because he hasn’t in the past. GMZ’s whole point in acquiring Branyan was to give him his first shot as an everyday player to see what he could do. He has never had that opportunity before. Now, he does. And the results so far are promising.

265. Jeff Nye on April 25th, 2009 10:02 pm

I can’t even figure out what you guys are arguing about.

266. Nate on April 25th, 2009 10:02 pm

that’s another series win!
    we’re 4-1-1 in our 6 series this year. it’s been a while since we did that. sure feels good. love that defense.

267. marinerfaninpdx on April 25th, 2009 10:07 pm

I must be starting to buy into the chance of a good season a little too much because I was totally miserable during the 8th and 9th…

Last year I would have…oh, let’s just not bring up last year.

268. gwangung on April 25th, 2009 10:17 pm

Hee hee hee…..Gotta be be having fun….

269. JMHawkins on April 25th, 2009 10:21 pm

I can’t even figure out what you guys are arguing about.

I can’t either. We won and have a chance at a sweep. I should be happy.

270. Breadbaker on April 26th, 2009 12:22 am

I saw the M’s beat Detroit at Comerica in 2002, the last day that year they were in first place alone. I don’t think I’ve been this happy as an M’s fan since that day.

271. lerasso on April 26th, 2009 4:57 am

Lets go!!!

272. joser on April 26th, 2009 7:31 am

Arredondo. That guy worries me. I hope the M’s don’t see any more of him. (And how the hell did he get 10 wins in 61 IP last year?)

273. joser on April 26th, 2009 10:39 am

BTW, the usually-entertaining HH game summary comic is sadly lacking in humor, at least to my eyes (though the final frame makes it worth viewing). If they’re already having trouble finding humor in their losses in April, this is going to be one sad sack fan base by the end of the season (and yeah, I know they have plenty of reasons to be sad already, but the comics have been fun so far all the same). It’s like watching the 2008 M’s fans with the colors flipped from blue to red. Man, you just don’t expect the karmic baseball wheel to turn so fast, or grind so fine.