USSM Goes To Safeco

Dave · June 11, 2009 at 8:04 am · Filed Under Mariners

We’ve told you to hold the date a couple of times, but here are the details of the next USSM event.

Saturday, August 8th, 5 pm, Safeco Field. We have reserved 300 seats in sections 321/323 for a USSM group outing to Safeco Field for the Mariners-Rays game that evening. In addition, when you purchase a ticket to join our group for the game, you’re also invited to join us for a pre-game Q&A with the Mariners front office and your local blogging community (Derek, myself, Jeff Sullivan, Matthew Carruth, and Graham MacAree will all be there). One week after the trade deadline, the guys who run the baseball club will be spending a good portion of time talking to us and answering your questions. After that, we’ll all head upstairs and watch the game together.

The total cost for the event, including your ticket to the game, is $25. This is, quite frankly, a steal. You get to watch the M’s play the defending American League champs and get a chance to talk to the decision makers of the ballclub for the price of a normal ticket. We’re happy to partner with the Mariners to provide this opportunity for you guys.

To buy tickets to the game/event, go here and follow these instructions:

2. Select “Find Tickets” then enter USSMARINER as your promo code and click “Verify” (ignore the “e-mail address” option).

3. You will need to use the “Create an Account” option on the right side of the following page. This is a Seattle Mariners Group Account (NOT a Ticketmaster account) and will consist of your e-mail address and a unique password that will enable you to order tickets for future Mariners events. Note: If you have previously purchased through this system and already have an account created, please proceed with your existing account information.

4. You will be able to locate your seating, purchase your tickets, and print your tickets instantly- all from your home or office computer!

5. Join us for a pre-game event from 5:15-6:45pm in the Ellis Pavilion! Please enter through the door along 1st Avenue located next to the Third Base Entry. Entry into this pre-game event is limited so purchase your tickets early!

6. To order more than 25 tickets or if you require wheelchair seating, please call Yoko McCann at (206) 346-4505

Your tickets will have a special marking on them which will allow you entrance to the pregame Q&A. The room where we’re having the pregame Q&A can only hold 300 chairs, so we’re going to have to restrict entrance to the Q&A to people who have purchased tickets through our group event. If you’re a season ticket holder and already have tickets for that game, my advice would be to sell them and just buy a ticket to come hang out with us. We’ll be more fun, even if your seat might not be as good.

Once you’ve purchased a ticket for the event, you’re almost done. In order to be able to communicate with everyone and keep a firm head count for the chair setup, we’re going to ask that you fill out the form below with your name and email address for each person you buy a ticket for. If you’re bringing someone but don’t know who yet, just add a “Your Name’s Guest” entry, so that we can know that your contact information accounts for more than one person. If you’re bringing multiple unknown guests, just number them “Your Name’s Guest 1″, “Your Name’s Guest 2″, etc…

Finally, when you’ve done that, and you have a ticket in hand and have let us know you’re coming, we’d like to ask you to consider potentially kicking in a few dollars via paypal to help cover our costs for the event. When we do these, we add our overhead into the cost of the event, but since we’re having you pay through ticketmaster this time, that’s not an option. I’m forking out a decent amount of cash to fly out to Seattle, and Derek, Jeff, Matthew, Graham, and myself are all paying our way into the event just like the rest of you. If you feel like you want to send $5 our way to help defray some of our costs for this, that’d be great. We love hosting events like this, and we think you enjoy them too, so it will be easier for us to keep doing them if we don’t go in the red in order to pull them off.

So, that’s the USSM event in August. Pregame Q&A with the M’s front office and a ticket to watch to the M’s-Rays game with 300 other USSM readers for $25, plus suggested $5 donation to help offset our costs, and don’t forget to fill out the form so that know how many to plan for and can communicate with you guys if need be.

See you all in August!

Comments

51 Responses to “USSM Goes To Safeco”

1. Mustard on June 11th, 2009 8:13 am

This sounds awesome, and I look forward to someday making it to one of these events. Living in Ontario, Canada…the price is a little steep for a trip like that.

I guess thats the downfall of being a Mariners fan and living so far away.

I hope you all have a blast!

2. Dave on June 11th, 2009 8:16 am

To preemptively answer the questions about who the “M’s Front Office” is that will be joining us, we’re avoiding making any promises that Zduriencik will be there because a GMs schedule is always in flux. Tony Blengino is confirmed for the event, and while everyone hopes that Jack will be able to make it, do not buy a ticket for the event and then get mad at us if he can’t stop by. Odds are pretty good he’ll be there, but we can’t make any promises.

Those of you who attended the event at the library know that he does a pretty good of making it up to us when he can’t make it, though. Everyone’s hopeful he’ll be there, but it’s going to be a good time regardless.

3. gwangung on June 11th, 2009 8:20 am

Aweeeeesommmmme!

4. KDC88 on June 11th, 2009 8:40 am

Dang it! Why must I have to be taking summer classes???

5. Carson on June 11th, 2009 8:52 am

I’m in for sure.

I had a few too many beers at a game and my buddy talked me into buying an authentic jersey with my name on it. So, I won’t require a name tag which should save you two cents.

6. Shizane on June 11th, 2009 8:54 am

I am frantically trying to find flights from Newark…nothing cheap though. Road trip from NJ, anyone?

7. Mike G. on June 11th, 2009 8:55 am

It might be worth flying down from Anchorage for this. After last year’s almost AK meet-up I’ve been looking forward to something like this.

8. Lauren, token chick on June 11th, 2009 9:05 am

Hmm, maybe I’ll show up this time in spite of the fact that I feel like I’d be letting my gender down by not being just as much of a stathead as the boys.

9. msb on June 11th, 2009 9:06 am

Well, that was pretty painless!

10. scraps on June 11th, 2009 9:06 am

Argh, I will be in Seattle for this, but I will be camping with my siblings for three days! Have fun!

11. fiftyone on June 11th, 2009 9:08 am

Dave, Derek, others-thanks for putting this together. Sounds incredibly cool. See you there.

12. Benne on June 11th, 2009 9:12 am

I’m going to HAVE to come to this. Just as soon as I get some money on my card, of course.

13. msb on June 11th, 2009 9:24 am

ah, they’d never notice if you “got lost in the woods” for an afternoon…

14. JerBear on June 11th, 2009 9:27 am

Is anyone thinking of driving to/from Spokane for this?

I live in San Diego, but finances permitting I might be flying up to Spokane/Coeur d’Alene for a wedding on August 9th… it would actually save me some dough if I could fly to Seattle and then split gas costs to drive to Spokane the morning after the game…

Dave, Derek, et all – regardless if I make it, I appreciate you guys putting this type of event together… I’m sure it’s a lot of work, but it’s frickin awesome and I know it will be appreciated.

15. Mike Snow on June 11th, 2009 9:27 am

Not all of us are statheads, some of us come for the intelligent discussion and mostly nod along at the math that goes with it.

16. JerBear on June 11th, 2009 9:29 am

yeah, unfortunately that pretty much describes me.

17. Carson on June 11th, 2009 9:30 am

Whoa, wait a minute. scraps?

Maybe I haven’t been paying very good attention, but how long have you been back around? Good to see you’re back in good health and commenting!

18. Scottdids on June 11th, 2009 9:34 am

Derek/Dave – My girlfriend bought me tickets to this game last month so I’m already at the game. What do I do if I want to attend?

19. Scottdids on June 11th, 2009 9:37 am

Oops..delete last question, I’ve read the whole post now. That said, my girlfriend will never let me trade these, she paid a hefty price right behind the M’s dugout.

20. Dave on June 11th, 2009 9:39 am

Scott,

Send us an email with a cell phone number that you can be reached at while you’re in Seattle. If we have a last minute cancellation that opens up a couple chairs for the Q&A, we’ll see what we can do.

21. SequimRealEstate on June 11th, 2009 9:43 am

Mike G. Hope you make it. You will see other Alaskans there even if we are transplanted. I use to fly down and take in a three game series and fly back. These events are better that a good ball game, several in fact. You will remember them longer for both insightful comments and some not so great. Greg Bentz

22. SeasonTix on June 11th, 2009 10:00 am

I already have tickets to the game, can I still come to the pre-game Q&A with the M’s FO guys?

I went to the USSM event in January and it was AWESOME!

This one should be even better now that they have had time to watch the team in action for a few months.

BTW, if anybody is worried that Jack Z won’t be there, I guarantee you will be very happy with Tony Blengino. He is Jack’s right hand man and he really knows his stuff!

23. Ike Clanton on June 11th, 2009 10:16 am

I will be using my wife’s last free Southwest ticket to fly up from KC Saturday morning. Anyone think they could pick me up at Sea-Tac?

24. gwangung on June 11th, 2009 10:19 am

I’d like to say…

Donate early. Donate often.

That has nothing to do with this event, but I just think it’s a nice thing to do anyway.

25. EnglishMariner on June 11th, 2009 10:44 am

The only way this could get any cooler is if Ichiro! was to attend. Or Jr. Or Felix. This is an awesome lineup and USSM/LL have provided a great service again, bravo!

26. Dave on June 11th, 2009 11:00 am

Sell your tickets, use the money to buy seats in our section.

27. Luc on June 11th, 2009 11:20 am

I’m definitely in for this. I already had tickets to this game as well, 10 rows up from the home dugout. But I’ll just sell ‘em. I’ll be donating for sure. Thanks guys!

28. Russ on June 11th, 2009 11:20 am

Is anyone thinking of driving to/from Spokane for this?

I have a bought a ticket and plan on coming from Spokane. My life is always in flux and there is a possibility that I won’t make it and I’ll have to donate the ticket/space.

This is a long way around to saying that you are welcome to ride back with me. If someone else is FOR SURE going and offers a ride, I’d suggest you take the sure ride. I’m amazingly flighty and fickle. I’m also more likely then not to head home after the game instead of staying overnight.

29. henryv on June 11th, 2009 11:41 am

I would LOVE to go… But my first child is due August 2nd, and I don’t think the boss would be too cool with me saying, “Okay, honey, going to a baseball game, see you later!”

However, in the family tradition of going to M’s games much too young (I went to my first M’s game when I was 33 days old), I’m taking my son to his first game in early October.

30. JH on June 11th, 2009 11:44 am

Wow! I actually may be able to go to this one, for the first time since the first Bavasi event.

I won’t know for another couple weeks what my schedule’s like in early August. Is there a hard deadline on buying tickets?

31. Dave on June 11th, 2009 11:46 am

August 4th.

32. cdowley on June 11th, 2009 11:59 am

Grr… I hope a few tickets last till next Friday, since I won’t be able to buy them till then (if even then)… Hope I’m there to meet you guys face to face!

I’ll try to donate a few bucks either way, in appreciation if nothing else.

33. 2outsbottomofthe9th on June 11th, 2009 12:36 pm

Ah man, I live 20 minutes from Safeco and wouldn’t you know it…I’m getting married that day. Anyone in for a swap? Must be 6’3″, pasty white, slender, glasses, and have a moderate to above average sense of humor. Let me know…

34. Evan on June 11th, 2009 12:54 pm

Grooms are late to weddiings all the time. Come anyway.

35. fiftyone on June 11th, 2009 12:55 pm

My guess, 2outs, is that describes half the commenters.

36. Breadbaker on June 11th, 2009 1:06 pm

Never plan a wedding for the date of a home game.

37. Lauren, token chick on June 11th, 2009 1:07 pm

Alright, bought my ticket. I couldn’t be you anyway, 2outs, I’m only 5’5″.

38. Jeff Nye on June 11th, 2009 1:17 pm

We’ll just get you some platform shoes.

39. msb on June 11th, 2009 1:19 pm

I only can do the pasty white & glasses.

40. JerBear on June 11th, 2009 1:49 pm

We’ll just get you some platform shoes.

I’m sure she already has plenty of these in her closet… :)

Russ – thanks for the offer. I’ll keep working on things from my end and see if I can make it up. I’ll hunt you back down here if things start coming together…

41. joser on June 11th, 2009 3:09 pm

In other words, a lot of us boys know how to “fake it” too.

42. murphy_dog on June 11th, 2009 3:18 pm

“Pasty white” in Seattle, please, that’s the easiest characteristic to meet…. Or, move the wedding to the parking lot. Reception to be held at Safeco! Then she can always brag about having thousands of people come to her wedding.

And how can Ichiro come? He’s much too selfish, absorbed in pregame stretching, batting practice, meditation, etc.

43. insidetheparker on June 11th, 2009 4:12 pm

I entered two names into the name field and two emails into the email field for my guest and I…. is that what I was supposed to do?

44. MedicineHat on June 11th, 2009 4:56 pm

I think the best thing to do is….buy yourself 200 tickets to the event. Fill in the form 200 times with + guest….then notify everyone the wedding location has changed.

45. section331 on June 11th, 2009 6:25 pm

I’m so stoked about this – I was actually wondering earlier this morning if there would be another one anytime soon. It’s like you can READ MINDS!

46. decatur7 on June 11th, 2009 7:24 pm

Awesome. I bought three tickets and threw in a tip for DMZ. I can’t wait to see who Dave, DMZ, and the Sexy People bring to the event. Thanks for all your amazing work!

47. scraps on June 11th, 2009 7:39 pm

Carson, I’ve been around all year, but rarely comment. But I read, every post.

48. msb on June 12th, 2009 11:58 am

Good to know you are there!

49. Paul B on June 15th, 2009 8:48 am

I bought tickets and printed them out.

I wonder whether the tickets have the indication that will allow me into the special session? What should be on the ticket? Or is it embedded in the bar code?

50. Paul B on June 15th, 2009 12:21 pm

Never mind, I noticed at the bottom of the ticket it says USS Mariner.

51. Ike Clanton on June 17th, 2009 3:51 pm

Yoko freaking rocks!

I managed to convince my wife to go, a week after I bought my tickets. Yoko was able to swap seats and get us together and mailed the new tickets off to Kansas. She was incredibly helpful and insanely nice. Hopefully the rest of the trip goes this smoothly.