Game 64, Mariners at Padres

DMZ · June 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Felix Day! Yayyyy! Against our hated natural rivals the Extremely Boring San Diego Padres. During the draft, I was bugging Dave (because he didn’t have enough to do and I was watching my super-fortified version of USSM do pretty well against the unwashed internet hordes (you)), and we both kept cracking up when Harold Reynolds would go off on the Padres, who he insisted needed to draft an athlete because they were boring.

Because
a) draft coverage is amazingly hilarious (why do they have charts if all the players are off the charts? Can’t they just get larger charts? of course the guy just drafted is a ballplayer, that’s why they don’t draft mascots, though that might help the boring Padres)
b) he was totally right. You think the M’s are boring? The Padres are super-boring. They’re the unwatchable Mariner teams of recent years boring except they don’t have Ichiro, who I guess is a clubhouse cancer after all now that the team’s swooning, though he wasn’t holding them back when they were doing well… I’m confused again. Anyway.

It’s interesting that the Padres hit a little better than the M’s, but the M’s play vastly better defense and have better pitching. Imagine the 2004-2005 Mariners with one more hitter and two fewer pitchers. Actually don’t, it’ll only hurt your brain. So Betancourt’s back in the lineup too, which is… behind Lopez? And Gutierrez is eighth?

I don’t understand. If anyone can explain why Gutierrez, who with no bat is still somehow hitting better than our middle infielders, doesn’t get moved up the order, can you please let the rest of us in on the secret?

Comments

94 Responses to “Game 64, Mariners at Padres”

1. Spanky on June 16th, 2009 6:17 pm

You know the old coaching/broadcaster cliche…you have to put a fast runner with an average bat at the bottom of the order so that he can be like a 2nd lead-off hitter at the bottom of the lineup.

Uummm…yeah right!

2. joser on June 16th, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow, that was one of the most meandering, digressive, amusingly stream-of-conciousness posts ever at USSM. (And that’s saying something). I don’t know if we need to start having drug tests around here, but I’m pretty sure you left a parentheses open (which means the light is still on in the subordinator and the aside is going to spoil).

3. joser on June 16th, 2009 6:19 pm

And then have the pitcher bunt him over? So that Ichiro can bat with a guy on 2nd and one out? And Branyan to clean up?

4. msb on June 16th, 2009 6:41 pm

But, it’s 11.

Oh no! did I miss something!? I thought he was still ok, because (as Lash Larue tells us) he is happy again.

5. DMZ on June 16th, 2009 6:49 pm

I guess it depends on which reliable, professional source of information you rely on, which is crazy, because I thought the whole point of having professional sources of information is that their access and insight produced verifiable truth but holy crap if they disagree with each other (kaboooooom)

Or maybe Ichiro is now a clubhouse cancer because he’s happy and interacting with people and we’ve had him wrong this whole time and it’s the distant Ichiro that puts teammates off and sabotages the team but that can’t be true because then (kabooooooom)

6. joser on June 16th, 2009 6:52 pm

Can I just say I’m happy the M’s drafted the one North Carolina player smart enough to wear a real batting helmet because apparently a lot of the Tar Heels do things, uh, a little differently.

7. msb on June 16th, 2009 6:59 pm

apparently a lot of the Tar Heels do things, uh, a little differently.

and it isn’t even the bullpen.

8. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 7:01 pm

Considering this lineup, Felix could probably hit sixth or seventh. With his eyes closed.

9. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:01 pm
  10. Jeff Nye on June 16th, 2009 7:06 pm

SHUT UP BILL KREUGER NO ONE IS GOING TO CALL FELIX “BIG CAT”

11. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:06 pm

Felix must hate the approach of interleague play this year. Every PA is going to diminish his perfect 1.000 / 1.000 / 4.000 line from last year.

12. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:07 pm

We could start calling Kreuger somethinglike “Big AssCat,” though.

13. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 7:08 pm

What’s with the “Big Cat” stuff anyway? That name is already taken.

14. homi on June 16th, 2009 7:08 pm

It’s funny i was thinking the same thing about Gutz, and the only thing i can figure is that they needed some type of bottom of the line up security and with his speed it could make for a great duo with Ichiro at the top of the line up… i don’t know it’s the best i could come up with.

15. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:14 pm

SSS of course, but Felix’ career OPS is higher than all the starters except Beltre, Ichiro, Branyan, and Griffey.

16. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 7:16 pm

Is anyone there? Creepy how empty it is. Wow, I’ve never seen Beltre run that fast! Has he been reading my ragging about how crappy/slow he runs?

I couldn’t even read that article about Ichiro=cancer, or for that matter journalist=real thing/blogger=makin’ shit up, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to find all the bits of my brain after my head blew up.

17. cgmonk on June 16th, 2009 7:19 pm

Did Felix get hosed on that first at bat? The tracker showed all the pitched in the strike zone.

18. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:20 pm

Don’t look now, but the Texas bats have woken up again.
    Bottom of the 1st: I. Kinsler homered to deep left
    Bottom of the 2nd: I. Kinsler homered to deep left

And he’s their leadoff guy.

19. Scottdids on June 16th, 2009 7:21 pm

Something surreal about seeing ‘Tony Gwynn’ pop up on the screen in a Padres uniform.

20. msb on June 16th, 2009 7:22 pm

SHUT UP BILL KREUGER NO ONE IS GOING TO CALL FELIX “BIG CAT”

Angie has been beating the drum for Felix the Cat again.

21. msb on June 16th, 2009 7:23 pm

imagine 2014 when “Griffey” returns to the line-up.

22. Scottdids on June 16th, 2009 7:27 pm

I think it would be hard enough to be a major league player with a father who is a legend, let alone playing in the same city where dad is adored.

23. cgmonk on June 16th, 2009 7:29 pm

A Boone sighting!

24. DMZ on June 16th, 2009 7:31 pm

Boone, serious analyst of franchise fortunes.

25. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 7:33 pm

And he mentioned a son in Little League, so there’s more Boones to come there.

26. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:36 pm

So I was reading this rather good piece about Pujols over at Deadspin, and I got to musing about that post-2011 world. “Mets, yeah, I could see it,” thinks I, “Or the Red Sox, definitely. Man, it must really suck to be in either of the East divisions, knowing that the biggest bats are going to show up there eventually. Boy, am I glad the M’s are in the AL West. It’s not like there’s a big market team that could…. oh, shit.”

Yeah, I know it’s years away. Yeah, I know Pujols might not still be Pujols by then. Yeah, I know that even though the only contract running through 2012 the Angels have now is Hunter, they’ll be on the hook for more by then. I know. But welcome to my personal little nightmare of the day: It’s 2012, the world hasn’t ended, the A’s are still stuck in the coliseum in Oakland, but the revamped M’s are facing a Pujols-enhanced Halos team….

But hey, maybe by then the M’s and the Angels will be the Yankees/Bosox-like powerhouse rivalry of the AL West, with terrifyingly good rotations, stacked lineups, smart management, deep pockets, brutal head-to-head games, and down-to-the-wire pennant races every year. Wouldn’t that be fun?

27. Jeff Nye on June 16th, 2009 7:38 pm

At least he doesn’t have that stupid frosted hair anymore.

28. ndrfx on June 16th, 2009 7:42 pm

He needs to shut up.

29. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 7:42 pm

So just when we have our chemistry issues all tidied up, Boone has to show up again?

30. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 7:42 pm

Frankie’s homeruns are always so weird. They don’t look like they’re going to go out, and then, gone.

Okay, can we hire Boonie for the on-air job, and get rid of one of these annoying voices like Blowers?

31. robbbbbb on June 16th, 2009 7:47 pm

I know there are some folks who are annoyed at Boonie, but I just don’t get it. Yeah, he’s arrogant, but it’s all done with a wink and a smile. It’s like he’s letting you in on the joke, while still being the typical jock who thinks the world of himself.

It’s a better act than the false humility that so many of ‘em put on.

32. joser on June 16th, 2009 7:47 pm

Gutierrez: Speak softly. Carry big stick. Kill flying things.

33. ScottBrowne on June 16th, 2009 7:49 pm

I hate you, David Eckstein. With your stupid batting stance and your being all short.

34. msb on June 16th, 2009 7:49 pm

And Boone was actually the last guy who could make Ichiro smile.

35. diderot on June 16th, 2009 7:52 pm

I never thought I’d be saying this, but lately I’m missing Gil Meche a lot.

36. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 7:53 pm

God, I’ve not been paying attention. Is Eckstein on the Padres? I hate him so much, it’d be good to have him off an AL team so I don’t have to look at the world’s oldest Little Leaguer.

37. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 7:59 pm

And Boone was actually the last guy who could make Ichiro smile.

He must have had magic fingers.

38. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 8:19 pm

God, this is going to be a boring series. Good thing we have the lead and are technically winning.

39. DLCheeZ on June 16th, 2009 8:22 pm

I don’t like seeing Felix half-ass his way halfway down the line. Gotta run that out. Or hit a home run.

40. bilbo27 on June 16th, 2009 8:23 pm

Reportedly Griffey makes Ichiro laugh about every day by sneaking up on him with an “attack of the tickle monster”. Drayer says he often does it when Ichiro is in some crazy contorted stretch and she feels Griffey is going to end up hurting Ichiro. ;-)

41. ndrfx on June 16th, 2009 8:26 pm

I love watching Felix half ass it down the line. That way he won’t get hurt trying to put his foot on a base.

42. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 8:27 pm

And Boone was actually the last guy who could make Ichiro smile.

Maybe, but if you actually subscribe to the clubhouse chemistry stuff, then it’s his jealousy of Ichiro that set us on the path to last year’s implosion.

43. Carson on June 16th, 2009 8:35 pm

BELTRED

44. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 8:37 pm

Yay Beltre!!! This game has an outside chance of clocking in under two hours.

45. Lauren, token chick on June 16th, 2009 8:41 pm

Alright, just back from the gym and have to read back through the comments but… I feel like I noticed a lot of offspeed stuff while sweating. Yay!

46. cgmonk on June 16th, 2009 8:44 pm

Death to Flying Things!

47. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 8:44 pm

Was that a groin pull wince from Frankie??? I swear it looked as though he caught that ball behind his back before the slow-mo replay showed otherwise.

48. Lauren, token chick on June 16th, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey! NO discussion of all those curve balls and whatnot from Felix?!

49. DMZ on June 16th, 2009 8:46 pm

I feel like I noticed a lot of offspeed stuff while sweating.

Umm…

50. Lauren, token chick on June 16th, 2009 8:46 pm

“Matinee idol looks”!!! Hee.

51. SequimRealEstate on June 16th, 2009 8:48 pm

Easy now Lauren. It was a catch of beauty though.

52. ndrfx on June 16th, 2009 8:49 pm

He’s been able to throw his curveball for first pitch strikes and knockout punches. Thrown some really nice sliders, and he is locating his fastball. Really a great performance.

53. cgmonk on June 16th, 2009 8:49 pm

Blowers just brought up the RZR for Gutierrez during the broadcast.

54. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 8:53 pm

Sorry Lauren, as you can see we were wrapped up in a critical discussion on the all-important topic of chemistry.

55. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 8:54 pm

Griffey’s still in the game???

56. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 8:57 pm

Probably in case he bats in the ninth. If we don’t see Chavez out there in the bottom of the ninth, it’s a black mark against Wakamatsu.

57. Breadbaker on June 16th, 2009 8:59 pm

I hope he gets up, gets on, gets pinch run for, so it’s not so much of “hard decision” for the manager. But either way, Griffey’s day in the outfield is over.

58. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 8:59 pm

Will Felix obey his manager? So far…0-2…and no!

59. NoStars on June 16th, 2009 9:00 pm

Ackley had two more hits than SD and the M’s combined so far today/tonight.

60. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 9:01 pm

Get a walk, Felix! Run those bases!

61. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 9:02 pm

HAHAHAH! Felix!!!

62. Lauren, token chick on June 16th, 2009 9:03 pm

OK, that was awesome. I love watching our pitchers hit regardless, but that was awesome.

63. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 9:03 pm

Now, that’s humiliating. Your pitcher walks and you strike out.

64. naviomelo on June 16th, 2009 9:04 pm

No way that was strike three.

65. ndrfx on June 16th, 2009 9:06 pm

Is Felix throwing phantom pitches at 1B?

66. bilbo27 on June 16th, 2009 9:06 pm

How much you want to bet that if Felix struggles in the bottom of the ninth, Blowers/Dave S. will say it’s because he “had to run the bases”?

67. juneau_fan on June 16th, 2009 9:06 pm

What was a fast game has slowed to a slug’s pace…although is oddly humorous now.

68. DEO on June 16th, 2009 9:10 pm

There are few things that make me happier than watching that little jerk make an error.

69. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 9:10 pm

Hehehehe what a wacky inning so far.

70. xxtinynickxx on June 16th, 2009 9:10 pm

wow i was about to get up and walk away from the game but holy crap griffey with Basesloaded!

71. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 9:10 pm

So that’s why Griffey stayed in.

72. xxtinynickxx on June 16th, 2009 9:11 pm

Its a Wakka Inning!

73. msb on June 16th, 2009 9:11 pm

If I am reading a Mariners clubhouse story, I’ll buy Larry Stone on the subject over Tracy Ringolsby

74. Breadbaker on June 16th, 2009 9:12 pm

You’re welcome.

75. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 9:13 pm

Okay, now the rest of you M’s get out and let’s finish this in style.

76. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 9:14 pm

Indeed, Breadbaker, nicely done.

77. Go Felix on June 16th, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes yes, excellent.

78. SequimRealEstate on June 16th, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeh Felix! Curves, sliders, chage ups, and a fastball. Yes!

79. Go Felix on June 16th, 2009 9:25 pm

80. Breadbaker on June 16th, 2009 9:25 pm

Felix was superb; he always saves his best for the hated Padres.

81. Sports on a Schtick on June 16th, 2009 9:25 pm

Huzzah! Two-hit shutout!

82. Jeff Nye on June 16th, 2009 9:29 pm

Angie Mentink needs to stop trying to make jokes.

Also, if I see one headline about “Griffey has 2 RBIs in Mariners’ victory”, someone’s getting strangled.

83. Axtell on June 16th, 2009 9:30 pm

Wow, great performance by Felix tonight. I’m curious (and too lazy to look it up), when’s the last time the M’s had a pitcher throw a CG SO?

84. Carson on June 16th, 2009 9:33 pm

Felix is good.

85. MattThompson on June 16th, 2009 9:34 pm

That was a thing of beauty, what Felix did tonight.

86. SequimRealEstate on June 16th, 2009 9:35 pm

Bill Kroger is such a ass! Angie without the clevage is hard to take as well.

87. msb on June 16th, 2009 9:37 pm

Looks like Washburn, June 2007

88. msb on June 16th, 2009 9:52 pm

“Felix Day” shout-out to USSM from Pittman

89. Breadbaker on June 16th, 2009 10:21 pm

The Associated Press it ain’t what it used to be:

Seattle won its ninth straight game at Petco Park but its first interleague win of the season after being swept over the weekend in a three-game set at Colorado.

So the wins over the Giants? Just in my imagination?

90. Mike Snow on June 16th, 2009 10:27 pm

I’m going to guess the reporter was confused after counting up the Padres’ interleague losing streak, because San Diego was in the sole NL-only series during that initial round back in May.

91. bakomariner on June 16th, 2009 10:35 pm

Just got back to my hotel…awesome, awesome game by Felix…nobody, I mean NOBODY in my section knew who the hell he was…I heard, “Who the hell is this guy,” more times than I can count…they know now…

Griffey was getting nothing but love from the crowd…that was cool…

I got a great photo of the first homer…was explaining the rules of baseball to Irish tourists went Beltre went deep…

Great, great game…I’m hoping for more of the same tomorrow night…

92. JerBear on June 16th, 2009 11:03 pm

I just got home as well… that was a pretty sweet game. Felix was dealing. It was my 10 month old son’s first game, so I was kind of glad it was relatively short.

After the game though some guy in an Orioles polo behind us said he had to thank us for sending Adam Jones over… jerk. :)

Almost got Mike Sweeney’s autograph afterwards… just cause he was the only one out signing. But then his wife and kids showed up and he stopped. Oh well.

93. scott19 on June 16th, 2009 11:55 pm

when’s the last time the M’s had a pitcher throw a CG SO?

Actually, it was in August of ’07 when Weaver (in one of his three decent starts) blanked the White Sox on five hits.

Darn…I was so tempted to say it was Felix’s brilliant one-hitter against the Red Sox from earlier that year, too — maybe ’cause tonight’s game was just about on par with that one.

Great job tonight, Felix! :)

94. LefebvreBelebvre on June 17th, 2009 1:36 pm

I disagree wholeheartedly about the insinuation of the M’s/Padres “natural” rivalry being boring. Sure, the games haven’t meant much in terms of relevance to playoff pushes, etc., but the series has been very competetive — and last night was a great indication of that.

Am I the only one who enjoys this matchup?