A Great Day

Dave · October 4, 2009 at 6:34 pm · Filed Under Mariners

One year ago, I got married. It was the best decision of my life. Today, I celebrated our first anniversary with my wife. We ate at the place we had our first date, exchanged gifts, did some alphabet photography, and watched The Amazing Race together. It was a great day.

Sitting here, watching the Mariners close out their season (on replay, of course – Amy > baseball) with an on-field hugging session and seeing the emotion as the players realize that the 2009 Mariners aren’t going to be a team tomorrow, I’m not the only one celebrating the completion of a great year with someone I love. That kind of celebration can’t be contrived. There’s no way that people who don’t genuinely care for each other have that kind of reaction to a baseball season that concludes on October 4th.

Beltre and Felix. Griffey being carried off by his teammates. Silva (!) carrying Ichiro on his shoulders. It was really amazing to watch.

The M’s have had the kind-of-hokey “You Gotta Love These Guys” slogan for years, as they appeal to soccer moms everywhere with the cuddliness of the people on the team. Except, we didn’t have to. They weren’t that much fun to root for. We wanted most of them to go away.

This group? It’s actually true. We might be numbers-crunching nerds who quantify everything and lack souls (depending who you talk to, anyway), but even I could appreciate the tremendous amount of emotion that was conveyed in that postgame hug-a-thon. That team loved each other, and it was pretty obvious.

The 2009 season is over. It didn’t end with a World Series title, but it was the most fun year to be a Mariner fan that I’ve had since ’95. It was a team worth loving.

Comments

54 Responses to “A Great Day”

1. Lauren, token chick on October 4th, 2009 6:45 pm

*sniff* I’m feeling a little verklempt. That WAS a darn good year. And even if “chemistry” didn’t make the team better, it sure as hell didn’t make them worse. I heart happy Ichiro even more than the standard model.

2. Chris_From_Bothell on October 4th, 2009 6:50 pm

Happy anniversary, Dave. My wife and I just celebrated ours on Thursday, and I capped off a 4-day weekend by having her, me and our son going to the game today.

I’m always a bit maudlin at the end of the baseball season, but today was indescribable. I’ll never forget seeing that team walk around the field @ the end of the game. Or Felix cheerfully waving his cap to the crowd when he was done. Or the first and last Griffey at-bats.

Also, happy to say I got to say goodbye to Eddie Guadardo before the game. He was in the Texas bullpen talking with a couple of fans (through the bullpen fence, obviously). Fist-bumped with him at the fence and congratulated him on a good career.

3. Mariner Melee on October 4th, 2009 6:54 pm

Such an amazing game, and atmosphere. I would have rather been no where else but SafeCo Field today.

I am going to miss Beltre so much! I am going to miss Griffey so much! This was a great send off if it is truly goodbye.

4. Liam on October 4th, 2009 6:55 pm

What a way to go out. 85 wins and a third place finish never felt so good.

5. jld on October 4th, 2009 6:58 pm

This was my first full year as a Mariner fan, and the team has U.S.S. Mariner to thank.

I moved to Seattle in 2000 and attended 1 game a year for 8 years. 2009 has found me at Safeco 18 times.

Thanks for making a great year USSM, and just a warning: my girlfriend hates you for making me a year round sports fan.

6. kenshabby on October 4th, 2009 7:02 pm

Despite the weak ending, I’d have to rank 2001 higher than this season, but 2009 has been pretty cool. Amazingly the M’s won both games I attended this year, and against the Red Sox and Yanks no less. I was also a huge critic of those cheesy ad campaigns of seasons past–though I did genuinely love this year’s team.

7. rsrobinson on October 4th, 2009 7:07 pm

My job led me to move to Arlington, TX this year (of all places) which meant I had to do my rooting from afar except when the M’s were in town to play the Rangers. I still watched nearly every game on TV and this was one of my favorite M’s teams of all time. Here’s hoping that this year is just the beginning of better things to come.

Grats on your first anniversay, Dave.

8. justme on October 4th, 2009 7:10 pm

The entire fan base seems to have been soothed this year. I didn’t even have one negative thing to say to you Soulless Devils over here this season. And I’m on my 6th screen name, all others having been banned. So Ha! ;)

9. Adam B. on October 4th, 2009 7:17 pm

I hope it’s not out of place for me to say I’ve been waiting for the last day of the season since around late July when it was clear the Mariners were playing for 2010.

That said, this team has been something that no other team has been since 2001. Fun to watch.

I think every member of this team should congratulate themselves on a job well done, take some time to be with family and friends, and appreciate what this year meant for a franchise that only a year ago seemed broken beyond repair.

Here’s to 2009 boys, now lets make 2010 better.

10. Dennisss on October 4th, 2009 7:37 pm

I would go along with “best year since 2001″, which was the most incredible year following for one team I have ever seen. And, like Linda Hamilton at the end of Terminator 2, I now go forward with hope.

11. Marinerguy on October 4th, 2009 7:43 pm

What a great finish to a superb season! For my 70th birthday last June, my sister presented me with a ticket in the Terrace Club secion for today’s game. Our seats were in Row 2 between third and home – the best I’ve had at my many games at Safeco.

I’m pleased to say that I have been a die-hard fan of the M’s since the team’s inception in 1977 and have been to over 1,500 games. I have a little competition with myself to see if I can be in attendance at all M’s opening season games and closing season games before the Lord calls me Home in the unforeseen future. So far I’m a perfect sixty-six for sixty-six! (Thirty three openers and thirty-three closers.) My fondest baseball dream is that one day, the season closing game at Safeco will be a World Series Game Seven win by the M’s!

12. Auggeydog on October 4th, 2009 7:57 pm

Congrats on the 1st year, here is to many more. I know this is not popular with many here, but I hope if Griffey comes back. I like what he does with the team. On the flip side I do not think we have the room for him and Sweeney. NY Vinnie was saying he would bring back both the otherday. Nope, Griffey if he wants to, but no Sweeney. Griffey is Seattle M’s baseball, Sweeney not.

This team was fun to watch, they are a few players short of being pretty good. I can’t wait to see what Z and Wak can do in the off season. If they can improve the team next year as much as this year it will be really fun.

Marinerguy, that is awesome, I am jealous. Hopefully you get to see many more games, and a WS Pennant.

13. PositivePaul on October 4th, 2009 7:59 pm

Hey Dave – remember that lens I dropped at your friends wedding we shot together?

It still works: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmarshphotography/3981848439/

14. jsa on October 4th, 2009 8:12 pm

JR was in tears after the game.

I think his decision has been made.

I think it was obvious.

15. Willmore2000 on October 4th, 2009 8:13 pm

2009 Mariners Pyth W-L: 75-86.

Who knows, maybe there actually is something to this team chemistry doohickey.

16. Willmore2000 on October 4th, 2009 8:15 pm

PS: I was at the game, it was fantastic. Made me forget the 3 qtrs of the Hawks game I managed to force down my eyeballs.

17. harry on October 4th, 2009 8:23 pm

Best season since 2001. The Bad May cast as bad a shadow as it could, and it was pretty bad, but this team was a lot of fun to watch, and there were a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the future.

18. msb on October 4th, 2009 8:30 pm

thanks for the link Paul, I always like the chance to look at your shots from Safeco. LL’s section331 has some of her video and photos from the game up, as well.

19. Breadbaker on October 4th, 2009 8:31 pm

It’s always good to remember that the joy of watching and playing baseball precedes, and indeed allows for, the love of crunching numbers related to baseball performance.

What amazed me most about this team was that they were the anti-2004 team, i.e., the team was transformed before our eyes as the season progressed (it actually took me awhile to remember Erik Bedard’s name yesterday), yet hung together as a cohesive unit. Except for a really bad patch in the middle of the spring, they played pretty consistent ball all year while that transformation was taking place. That bespeaks good management, good leadership and a sense of confidence by the players in that management. No matter what you do for a living, it’s nice to go to work with a sense that the people who control your working environment have a brain in their heads and the ultimate success of the organization at heart.

My favorite moment of 2009 is still hearing Jack Zduriencik say that he will measure the success of his tenure here in world’s championships.

20. msb on October 4th, 2009 8:53 pm

Watching the 7th inning on the FSN replay– I’d love to know what Wak said to Felix that got him off the mound with a huge smile on his face

21. Willmore2000 on October 4th, 2009 8:55 pm

Well look what you did, you fucked up all your Cy Young chances with this shit of an outing, now get off the mound and sulk in shame.

22. ScottBrowne on October 4th, 2009 8:56 pm

I have never had so much fun at a Mariners game before… and on my 24th birthday no less. Easily the best birthday I’ve ever had. Seeing Griffey getting what may be his last career hit is a moment I will never forget.

23. SeabassP on October 4th, 2009 9:07 pm

You forgot to mention that Jack Z read your fangraphs article and mentioned it on air…also you forgot to mention that Felix unprovoked said “I want to play here my entire career” From the Griffey hit on today I had chills and was teary eyed…great experience and I am so glad MLB.tv left it on (Even they knew it was a special moment!)

24. SpokaneDan on October 4th, 2009 9:24 pm

I am getting tears in my eyes watching the replay again. What a great day and a great season. So upset that I couldn’t make it to today’s game because of I-90 being closed. Thanks to USSM for making the year even better.

25. Rboyle0628 on October 4th, 2009 9:29 pm

The 2009 Mariners were a pleasure. Unlike Marinerguy, I’ve only been a fan since I started playing baseball in 1998. And to top that, I live on the east coast stuck in the middle of Yankee territory (gag). Every game I was able to see this year was a pleasure. It seemed like no matter what happened these guys looked forward to going to work everyday. Especially as the season progressed, it was a joy to see the team Jack Z put on the field and I cannot describe the optimism I feel towards the future. I can’t wait for the day that they win a world championship, and I can sit here on the east coast and smile and giggle to myself while Boston and NY’s players are home playing golf.

26. bongo on October 4th, 2009 10:04 pm

When I sat down to watch this game, I didn’t expect to be moved, just sad about the end of the season.

Yet, this game seemed to encapsulate the season and underline the reasons why the 2009 Mariners found its way into our hearts. Jr. getting perhaps his final hit. Felix getting his 19th win. Aardsma closing it out. All of this reminded us once again how much we have enjoyed watching the 2009 Mariners.

“You gotta love these guys” — this year it’s not just a slogan.

This was a team that played up to (and maybe beyond) its potential and gave Seattle a reason to enjoy baseball again. We now have a Mariners GM and Manager that are worthy of respect, and give us hope for the future. And we have a team that, even if they did not reach the playoffs, respects the game, each other, and the fans.

27. Paul L on October 4th, 2009 10:18 pm

I think another important thing is that we’re no longer a place players want to avoid.

I’m not talking about “chemistry” either. It’s pretty clear that the organization is resurgent, and players are happy. That will get around the league, and with any luck that will result in guys wanting to come here.

Signing Felix would only make it better.

28. kenshabby on October 4th, 2009 10:20 pm

I also realized that today might’ve been the Big Unit’s last game. Glad he ended it with a strike out. It’s cool that Griffey and RJ have most likely ended their careers on the same day; too bad it couldn’t have been in the same game.

29. SonOfZavaras on October 4th, 2009 10:22 pm

Happy Anniversary, Dave!… and here’s hoping you have dozens and dozens more!

I, too, have unbridled optimism for the future.

Ichiro said something earlier this season to the effect of “I know it’s impossible to come back next year with the exact same team”. To me, That paraphrasing spoke volumes about how special this group is and now, was.

I really do believe Ichiro had more fun playing Major League baseball this year than he had in years. I counted scores more smiles from him in the dugout this year than in any other year…and little bits of him obviously being in shenanigans for like, the first time ever.

I was one of those who howled when Mike Sweeney was on the Opening Day roster. By the sheer, cold and true numbers, it was utter nonsense for him to be here.

Now I’m glad he was. Without him around, does that hug-a-thon parade at the end of this game happen? With such honesty?

I wish the season wasn’t over. I wish it even more fervently than what I usually do.

I wish also that I could have made any one USSMariner event this year. In 2010, I want to rectify that.

For me, personally? I’ve found a place with the great people here in USSMariner that I feel very grateful for- a place where virtually everyone is quite informed, insightful, sardonic, witty, and just plain awesome to read, day after day.

It took me a while to really find my voice in here, and I got myself in arguments and hot water more than once….but I’ve been really, really enjoying it and the interaction with such a bunch of obviously committed and intelligent Mariner fans.

This is really the best sports-team site I can find in the blogosphere, for any team, any sport. It’s not even close. It makes me happy and proud to be a tiny part of it.

Now I have 4-5 months to salivate over Spring Training 2010.

But at least, I’ll have the fun of coming here during the off-season and talk baseball.

30. SeasonTix on October 4th, 2009 10:29 pm

My buddy and I stayed at Safeco to watch the team celebrate and walk around the field. A woman right in front of me snagged an equipment bag that was thrown into the stands. Damn!

It was very impressive and reminded me of the playoff series wins in the past, when the crowd didn’t want to leave the stadium because they wanted to soak in every aspect of the moment.

I just watched it again on HD TV and it was great to see the close-ups of the players, you could really see that Junior was literally crying, we could not see that from the stands.

Great day, great win, great season.

Can’t wait to see what Jack Z does to make 2010 even better!

BTW, I am 99% certain that Griffey wants to come back and the only question is whether Jack Z thinks he fits into the team’s future. From a pure baseball standpoint that may not make sense, but it’s obvious that the other players on the team love him and he brings a lot of fun and enthusiasm to the team, so that alone may be reason enough to bring him back.

Whether he comes back or not, it was awesome watching the team carry Jr. and Ichiro off the field today. :-)

31. Paul L on October 4th, 2009 10:42 pm

Welcome to the Mariners Online Hug-a-thon!

Now that we don’t have to worry about stats, WAR, etc., I just wanted to add that it’s totally obvious that Mike Sweeney is a class individual. I wish we could have had him here when he was in his prime; what a waste having those be in KC, at least for everyone outside of KC itself.

32. Drew on October 4th, 2009 10:47 pm

Is there anyway we can sign Sweeney as some sort of hybrid bench coach/mascot? He’d be perfect for that role. I don’t like his #’s, but I love his character and wish that every player or person had his personal qualities.

33. TomTuttle on October 4th, 2009 10:50 pm

Two more years until the coming out party.

But still can’t wait for April to roll around again. :)

Finally, baseball was FUN again this year.

34. Knuckles on October 4th, 2009 10:50 pm

You know, I was at the game where Felix pitched a complete game against the Yankees and Ichiro hit the 2 run shot in the bottom of the ninth to win it. The crowd in that game was more energized and more into it than I have seen since the playoffs of 2001. It really was incredibly gratifying to have that kind of feeling back in Safeco Field.

Welcome back, Mariners, I’ve missed you terribly.

35. Rboyle0628 on October 4th, 2009 11:13 pm

I don’t post very often on here. But I gotta say that the articles and comments from everyone has made more than one boring college class pass with ease. The intelligence of many of the posters still gets me. I love baseball, probably more than anything.

I try to keep up with all the stats and formula’s but boy oh boy, sometimes you guys make my head spin. I read a lot, and read a lot of other sites also to see whats going on around MLB and some of the sites just make my hair stand. Not only is there intelligence here, but it seems that mostly everyone has a grip on reality.

As a former player, I’ve played on different kinds of teams, some winners, some losers. I gotta say though, I’d of give anything to play for the 2009 Mariners. I’ve never seen a bunch of guys enjoy playing a game so much. Whether it be the hug-a-thon or a happy Ichiro! I came into 2009 wondering what to expect. I saw the signings of Sweeney and Griffey as a nice gesture, add some veterans to a team that probably wasn’t going to do much.

All in all, I want to thank everyone here and especially the M’s. I want to thank you for making me remember how much I loved baseball and how much I loved rooting for the Mariners even after how down I felt after 2008. And Dave Congrats on the Anniv, many more happy ones to you and your wife.

So many thoughts running through my head. I feel kinda like a little kid on Christmas morning, so much excitement so much anticipation yet. Is it Spring Training yet?

36. joser on October 5th, 2009 1:17 am

2009 Mariners Pyth W-L: 75-86.

That’s first order. Second and third order (as calculated by BP)are a much better approximation of the real talent level. M’s 3rd order W-L prior to today: 82-79. It’s not a chemistry-enhanced mirage; this team is about as good as its record indicates (even if its record in 1-run games is rather insane).

37. DaveValleDrinkNight on October 5th, 2009 3:01 am

I had seen Griff hit a Homerun in person every year of his career in an M’s Jersey, except this one.

Then, Saturday night, when he eeked one over the RF Wall at my buddies B-Day Party.

I was there with my Fiance who had never seen the man in person but has listened to me drone on and on about his past exploits.

She busted me, kindly, for getting misty after this Game.

38. GarForever on October 5th, 2009 5:44 am

I left Seattle nine years ago, and though I have missed it dearly ever since, at no time did I feel the distance more acutely than I did this year. Living in the Chicago area, where neither of the teams is in my opinion particularly likable, I still remember what it was like in my first two summers in Seattle, ’94 and ’95, and falling in love with Mariners baseball. Despite the time and distance, that love has never faded, though at times I felt like I had committed myself to an abusive relationship.

No longer; I just wish I could have been in town to catch a few games in person and to root on the boys, especially if this was it for Junior. But from afar, it was nice to know that checking the box score first thing in the morning wasn’t necessarily going to ruin my day approximately 100 times. This was easily the most fun I’ve ever had rooting for a third place team! Much love to Jack Z, Wak, and the players themselves for making Seattle baseball fun again and for giving us some hope for the future.

Now, where are we going to find 10 wins…? :)

39. Mid80sRighty on October 5th, 2009 8:01 am

I know this is not popular with many here, but I hope if Griffey comes back.

I don’t think that’d be unpopular at all…I don’t think anyone would have a problem with him coming back as a bench coach. :)

40. wescottr on October 5th, 2009 9:24 am

I don’t think I’m alone in just wishing there were more games to play. Baseball season is so long, but when it’s gone there is just an emptiness. I’m sitting in a coffee shop this morning and there are guys all around me talking about the M’s…I can’t ever remember that happening. I called Mariners Customer Service today just to tell them how much I enjoyed the season and can’t wait for the next one.

41. SeasonTix on October 5th, 2009 9:27 am

I just realized something else that is so great about the end of this season …

Last year at this time I was dreading that the M’s FO might F-up the selection of the new GM … and then when they picked Jack Z (much to the consternation of many people here, at first) I was dreading who he would pick as the new manager (Joey Cora?!).

Now, we know that everything turned out better than most people had expected. And this offseason
    I am totally relaxed knowing that Jack Z, Tony B and the rest of the M’s FO will make smart moves to make the M’s better in 2010.

What a difference a year makes!

42. Pete Livengood on October 5th, 2009 9:33 am

Dave, hearty congratualtions on your anniversary. Reading about your happiness made a happy day even happier.

@SonOfZavaras – the feeling is mutual. Anybody whose screen name invokes Clint Zavaras can’t be all bad. [Man, this is becoming the blog equivalent of the Mariners' group hug yesterday.]

@ kenshabby – Great call on RJ. I hadn’t really thought of that, but his career (as a Mariner and otherwise) is definitely worthy of celebration and gratitude as well.

I’ve been reading things about Griffey often being called things like “the greatest Mariner ever” and I don’t really feel that way. Griff, Edgar, RJ, Ichiro, even A-Rod during his youthful innocence here, were all great in their on way and I choose not to grade greatness. But I will say this: Griffey is, unquestionably, the most “special.” He was the first, he was literally a kid growing up before our eyes, sometimes mischeivous, sometimes moody petulant, often happy and radiant in that way that only the young can. And what’s b great about this year is that Griffey has recaptured that – after almost a decade where the weight of the world and maturation seemed to kill the joy he once displayed playing this game.

I’m one of the guys who has been dead set against either Griffey or Sweeney coming back, because I think DH is the most likely spot where you are going to those 10 wins. But Griffey (and Sweeney) have been breaking me down. They’ve clearly had an effect on this team beyond what they’ve done on the field, and I’m not sure this team is ready to move forward in the same spirit without (at least one of) them. I guess I would just say, it can’t come at the expense of a roster spot that needs to go to a pitcher or a productive bat – and I can’t imagine how that won’t be true in some respects, unless the Griffey/Sweeney spot is much more productive that it has been this year. I just can’t see that happening. I also think we saw a perfect ending yesterday, and I wouldn’t want that jeopardized.

I guess I’d still want Griffey and/or Sweeney in Spring Training and see what happens, if that is what he/they want, but the club can’t really be expected to be in a PR position of having to “cut” Griffey. I think if Griffey is going to come back, he has to commit to bowing out gracefully if the signs show he can’t be better and more productive than he was this year.

43. Pete Livengood on October 5th, 2009 9:36 am

Man, I really need to proof read before I hit “submit”… That’s just awful.

44. dchappelle on October 5th, 2009 9:50 am

2009 Mariners Pyth W-L: 75-86.

Good point Joser. For those who don’t know what he was talking about, a quick primer is
    Here

45. Pete Livengood on October 5th, 2009 10:41 am

Does anybody know what the Mariners’ third order win expectancy was in 2007? I couldn’t find historical data on BP or in a quick Google search.

My guess is that the 2007 team still way over-performed, much more so than the 2009 team did. I still think there are cautionary tales to be learned from 2007-2008 and not getting too excited about an 85-77 record and thinking we’re “a player away” or something.

46. ClaytonMiles on October 5th, 2009 10:43 am

I was at the game yesterday. It was awesome. I told the ticket attendant I wanted to get seats as close to Ichiro as possible. Of course he didn’t disappoint with that amazing foul ball catch in the stands. I enjoyed this season more than any other as a baseball fan.
    I’d like to thank the authors of this blog for dedicating so much time and energy. Your work has made me enjoy the game, and the Ms, so much more.
    Maybe next year I will have money to contribute.

47. jsa on October 5th, 2009 11:18 am

Second order wins definition on the link posted above by dchappelle, lost me entirely at:

“second-order wins, the number of wins a team deserves based on the number of runs they should have scored”

“Deserves” ?!

“Should have scored” ?!

They really meant the number of wins predicted by the currently in vogue prediction models.

48. eponymous coward on October 5th, 2009 11:34 am

The Mariners were 13th out of 14 MLB teams in DH OPS, similar to their rankings at SS (13 out of 14), C (14 out of 14), LF (14 out of 14), and 3B (13 out of 14).

That’s not a player away, in my book. That’s 2-3, at least.

49. Graham on October 5th, 2009 11:36 am

Way to be totally contemptuous of something you said you don’t understand, jsa. Bonus points for use of ‘?!’

50. Dave Clapper on October 5th, 2009 12:16 pm

It’s not often that a group of people feels this strongly about one another. It’s rarer still for such a group to be in the public eye. Seeing that yesterday meant more to me than a win/loss percentage. I’ve watched, followed, loved baseball for a hair over 35 years now. This year’s Mariners are my favorite team in all that time.

51. Pete Livengood on October 5th, 2009 12:25 pm

Giving jsa the benefit of the doubt, “deserves” and “should have” are somewhat loaded words. Simply saying the following might have been better.

By plugging . . . expected runs scored and allowed [as figured by a runs created-type equation (the most accurate at the team level being Base Runs)] into the pythagorean formula, one can generate second-order wins, the number of wins a team would have scored and allowed given their component offensive and defensive statistics.”

Still, that’s pretty nit-picky. It isn’t that hard to understand what is going on with second (and third) order wins. The wiki-explanation is pretty damn good. To me, the money line is “These formulas result in the team’s expected number of runs given their total singles, doubles, walks, etc., which helps to eliminate the luck factor of the order in which the team’s hits and walks came within an inning” and “Second- and third-order winning percentage has been shown to predict future actual team winning percentage better than both actual winning percentage and first-order winning percentage.” Whether you like the “prediction model” used or not, if it correlates better with future performance than either actual or first-order expected winning %, what’s not useful about that?

52. merlin on October 5th, 2009 3:33 pm

rsrobinson. You say we need a LF. Have you forgot about Endy Chavez?

53. Pete Livengood on October 5th, 2009 9:19 pm

Endy Chavez is not only probably out until the AS break, he is due to be a free agent.

54. dmojr on October 6th, 2009 1:20 pm

I could not believe what took place on the field. Our record wasn’t horrible, but seeing the players/coaches show that much emotion for each other was truly inspirational. My schedule for the past 6 months revolved around making sure i caught each game; this will be a tough/long off-season after seeing that display.