Where to get the annual, which is awesome

DMZ · March 9, 2010 at 7:57 am · Filed Under Mariners

(and which makes us no money)

We’ve been getting a steady stream of emails on where you can buy the Maple Street Press annual edited by Dave and featuring the finest batch of yearly M’s-related content you’ll find anywhere.

to quote Dave:

7/11, Safeway, Target, Walgreens, Fred Meyer, QFC, Costco, Winco, Wal-Mart, K-Mart… if you have one of these near you in either WA/OR, it should be there.

Additionally, all Borders in WA should have it, as well as all Barnes and Noble in WA/OR/ID/MT/HI/AK. It looks like a few locals (First and Pike, Eastside Daily Planet, J&S Broadway) should have it too.

Really, though, it’s pretty much everywhere: the newsstand at Crossroads Mall in Bellevue has it, and I’ve seen it wherever I looked in Seattle.

And if you don’t see it at your local retailer, ask. They should be able to get it.

Comments

53 Responses to “Where to get the annual, which is awesome”

1. Carson on March 9th, 2010 8:55 am

I couldn’t find one anywhere (including those stores) in the south end. Luckily, I’m in Seattle every weekend. So I finally snagged mine at a QFC in Lake City.

So far, it’s just amazing. I can’t wait until I get a couple hour block of free time to knock it out.

I love the player profiles. I’m likely going to wear that section out during the season.

2. dw on March 9th, 2010 9:00 am

The University Bookstore in the U District has about a dozen on its newsstand.

3. Kunkoh on March 9th, 2010 9:45 am

The QFC in Ballard has them… but one less now. Very good read.

4. Paseman on March 9th, 2010 9:56 am

Is there anywhere online to purchase it? I’m stuck down in San Antonio, TX, and I doubt I’ll be able to find it at my local retailer (HEB).

5. Liam on March 9th, 2010 10:00 am

You can order it online here.

6. Arron on March 9th, 2010 10:12 am

I got mine online and it is awesome. I’m reading it with gentle hands as I plan on framing it and hanging it on the wall in my Mariners decorated basement. I know I’m a dork.

7. Paseman on March 9th, 2010 10:13 am

Perfect! Thank you very much

8. Scott on March 9th, 2010 10:14 am

I found one last Monday at Borders while passing through SeaTac. It is a fantastic publication.

9. Christopher Michael on March 9th, 2010 10:32 am

Walgreens in AZ seems to have it as well. At least the El Mirage one did. Much to my pleasant surprise!

10. beadyeyes123 on March 9th, 2010 11:01 am

I tweeted Dave that I found my copy at a Target in Peoria AZ when I was down there. One of the best publications I’ve read on baseball (especially M’s baseball) in quite some time.

11. Dobbs on March 9th, 2010 12:22 pm

Are there are people out there that have a problem with the fine folks of USS Mariner making money for the valuable insight they provide on a daily basis?

12. profmac on March 9th, 2010 12:31 pm

I was buying a couple magazines at the Haggen up the street when my eyes caught view of the true beauty that is this annual I’ve heard so much. Can’t wait to read it! :)

Thanks for putting that together, Dave!

13. Benne on March 9th, 2010 12:44 pm

I just picked up my copy at Walmart a few days ago. Actually, I bought two–one for myself, and one to keep in the break room at my workplace, in the hopes that my co-workers will read it too. It’s amazing.

14. MKT on March 9th, 2010 1:31 pm

Indeed. I don’t know (and quite possibly Dave et al don’t know) how Maple Street Press is making out on the Mariners’Annual, but it may be a big win for MSP. Which is fine, but even better would be a little more revenue-sharing with the laborers who produce the creative content. From Dave and Derek’s posts it sounds like after costs are paid, all revenue goes to MSP.

Maybe next year, Dave and his authors can find another publisher who, seeing how much money can be made from the Annual, will be willing to share a slice of the revenue pie with them. Or maybe they can negotiate a different contract with MSP.

15. Liam on March 9th, 2010 2:04 pm

From Dave back on February 14th,

The Mariners 2010 Annual is now the bestselling item in the Maple Street Press online store – they’ve released dozens of magazines over the last few years, and the M’s annual has outsold all of them in direct sales before it’s even released. Thank you.

16. Jim_H on March 9th, 2010 3:21 pm

I just picked up a copy at the Fred Meyers in Bothell. There was a pile of a dozen or so on the shelf at the bottom of the magazine rack in the sports section.

Gonna peruse it this evening when I’m supposed to be working!

17. jgemonic on March 9th, 2010 3:32 pm

If you’re on the north end, you can find a copy at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park.

18. seattlecougar on March 9th, 2010 3:48 pm

It had stellar placement at the downtown Bellevue Safeway. 2 stacks at top/eye level, next to the 4 self-checkout aisles.

19. Paul on March 9th, 2010 4:34 pm

The Read All About It newsstand, AKA First and Pike News has them. As far as I know it is the last real newsstand in Seattle. A great place to spend your periodical dollars.

20. Breadbaker on March 9th, 2010 5:34 pm

It’s hard to decide which of the articles is “best” because they’re all pretty amazing. I’ve been re-reading the one on park effects because it explains the details of how Safeco works better than any explanation I’ve ever seen, and it entirely comports with my experience of seeing a couple hundred games there.

21. kozmo on March 9th, 2010 6:21 pm

It’s not at the UW Bookstore.

22. henryv on March 9th, 2010 7:43 pm

COSTCO!*

*It should be noted that if Costco started a religion, I would join.

23. SonOfZavaras on March 9th, 2010 8:25 pm

I bought it two days ago at a Walgreen’s near my house.

Capital work, fellas. Capital. It’s worth every single dime I paid. Kudos to EVERYONE who worked on it.

I do have a suggestion for if there is a second edition next year (please, I hope), regarding prospects…for Jay Yencich.

If you could have a section on guys who are not technically prospects right now (for lack of a track record, mostly) but COULD be- guys like Diego Mina, Francisco Valdivia and Guillermo Pimentel come to mind- and call it something along the lines of “They MAY Have A Future” or “Years Down The Line Buuuuut”…well, I’d go from roundly pleased to downright ecstatic.

But I’m a happy fan of all the scribes therein, regardless.

24. marc w on March 9th, 2010 8:46 pm

A good idea, SoZ… we tried to get at that in the roundtable thing, but that’s not a bad idea for the annual.

25. chuckfromeverett on March 9th, 2010 9:33 pm

On Page 75 of the MSP Annual there is a sidebar listing the fair territory in square feet of five major league ballparks. Does anyone know where I can find this same data for all major league parks?
    Thanks.

26. Jay Yencich on March 9th, 2010 9:43 pm

SoZ, I would love to do such a thing and go really into obscure names and point to various possible prospects, but then The Man would have the last reason he needs to lock my crazy self up. I have guys that I want to talk about who aren’t even going to make the Future Forty for me.

That and I tend not to rank int’l prospects until a year or two in. So many hopes have been dashed on the promise of velocity never delivered, athleticism never turned to skill (each spring training, I pour one out for Rayon Lampe).

27. Marinersmanjk on March 9th, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh my god DMZ is back!!!! Can’t wait to get the annual though, as soon as I get to the bookstore I’ll pick up a copy.

28. Liam on March 9th, 2010 10:21 pm

Has anyone deciphered what the “Alone No More” on the front cover means?

I also liked the player profiles, very lively.

29. joser on March 10th, 2010 1:35 am

Well done, everyone.

There are, and they show up to bitch about it (which makes zero sense, but those who want to elevate their dudgeon have to do so by frequenting the things that upset them the most, apparently). And while I’ve never seen it, I’m sure Dave and Co get some facepalming email of this sort as well.

As far as I know it is the last real newsstand in Seattle.

Could be, at least in the sense of “open air stand” (there used to be one on 3rd Ave as I recall, but like so many other things on that street it got wiped out by the bus tunnel construction in the 80s — cut-and-cover, just say no). There still are “newsstands” in the sense of “store that sells only magazines” (as opposed to stores that primarily sell books or groceries and have an area with periodicals); but those places have walls and a door. I bought my annual today at such a place — Bulldog News on Capitol Hill, which is relocated but hanging on. (I was planning to support my local independent bookstore, but Baily/Coy is gone and Elliot Bay is not scheduled to open until April 12… and I couldn’t wait that long. Heck, that’s a couple of weeks into the season!)

High point in the annual, IMO: the picture of Julio Cruz. Julio Cruz! To appreciate where you are and where you’re going you have to understand where you came from, so… Julio Cruz!

Has anyone deciphered what the “Alone No More” on the front cover means?

Hint: who is pictured on the cover?

(I’m not sure it’s the caption I would pick to put on the cover, at least not so prominently, but it’s not that cryptic I don’t think.)

Oh my god DMZ is back!!!!

I don’t think he left, really. He just fades in and out like Obi Wan Kenobi.

30. msb on March 10th, 2010 8:04 am

It’s not at the UW Bookstore.

ask them for it!

did you also check Bulldog?

31. tgf on March 10th, 2010 8:09 am

The shipping from MSP wasn’t that much. If it’s not convenient to get to any of the places above, I’d just order it online.

Edit: I’d also like to add — it’s really good. I especially liked the interview with Wak and the piece on how Safeco affects hitters. Also, Ichiro!

32. sodomojo_1 on March 10th, 2010 8:11 am

Got mine at m local Safeway a week ago, I was really suprised to see it there. It’s an awesome product, the scouting reports on each player with spray charts and strike zones are sweet

33. azfred on March 10th, 2010 8:24 am

It’s even at the Walgreens on the corner of Central and Thomas in downtown Phoenix. I saw 4 of them on the shelf the other day (and nothing related to the Diamondbacks).

34. Willmore2000 on March 10th, 2010 9:29 am

Stopped by a 7/11, they had it. Got my copy.

35. superkid20 on March 10th, 2010 11:25 am

I was psyched to find the annual at my Barnes & Noble here in Montana. Way to go, it looks great.

36. Paul B on March 10th, 2010 11:35 am

I went to my two local grocery stores, and then the Rite Aid, no joy. So I ended up driving to Barnes & Noble to buy my copy.

I’m deciphering some of the data on the individual players… I think I know what it all means.

I noticed that B&N had two editions, they also had the one for the Yankees next to the Mariners one on the shelf. I did not buy the Yankees issue.

37. Toddk on March 10th, 2010 12:57 pm

Costco has them for $9.09 per copy.

38. SonOfZavaras on March 10th, 2010 12:57 pm

Another victory for good taste and sound judgment! Boo, hiss, Yanks.

39. superkid20 on March 10th, 2010 2:19 pm

I didn’t even know Costco sold those kinds of things…

40. jld on March 10th, 2010 2:47 pm

I went out of my way to go by Elliot Bay Books. Sadly they didn’t have it.

41. Liam on March 10th, 2010 2:49 pm

Hopefully the awesome will be an annual event.

42. LanceWWU on March 10th, 2010 3:43 pm

I wouldn’t mind if they added some advertisements in there as long as they could drop the price a couple bucks, possibly to $9.99

43. Robo Ape on March 10th, 2010 4:11 pm

As of right now, there are several copies available at the Bulldog News on University Ave in the U District.

44. IHaveALittleProject on March 10th, 2010 7:06 pm

I too was skeptical about the price for a magazine, but after ponying up the cash and diving in, I was thrilled. It costs a book price because it has a book worth of information, and I really enjoyed reading it as such, with no ads.

45. LanceWWU on March 11th, 2010 1:07 am

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t worth the price tag, I was just saying that I don’t mind ads, and if they threw some in it would be cheaper.

46. Jake N. on March 11th, 2010 6:58 am

Awesome, Just purchased my copy at the fred Meyer here in Portland OR. What a difference a year makes.

47. DMZ on March 11th, 2010 9:18 am

if they threw some in it would be cheaper.

You have no idea if that is the case.

48. joser on March 11th, 2010 10:02 am

It may be the same size as a magazine, but you want to think of it as a soft-cover book. With much bigger pages than you usually get in anything but a coffee-table art book. (And have you seen what those cost these days?)

You have no idea if that is the case.

Especially since it’s right at 128 pages. Things may have changed since i was last involved with publishing, but due to the way the sheets get folded to form signatures 128 is (or was) kind of a magical value. They’d either have to stay with that page count and reduce content to make room for the ads (dropping the price but giving you less for your dollar) or they’d have to take on higher costs to go beyond 128, meaning they’d either have to sell a lot of ads to actually lower the price, or they’d keep it at the same price with the same content, just with more ads.

Probably. Like I said, it’s been a long time and I have no idea about the workings of Maple Street Press.

49. mvp814 on March 11th, 2010 10:19 am

Got mine at Walgreens here in Bellingham. Awesome job guys. This will definitely live by my side for the next 8 months.

50. fiftyone on March 11th, 2010 9:28 pm

Finally bought one. (QFC on 124th in Kirkland.) Wanted to delay gratification until a week before Opening Day to avoid finishing it too early and going insane with anticipation. That didn’t work.
    Immensely enjoyed the Chone story by Jeff S., not because I learned anything new, but because it gave me pleasure to imagine the “mo’ powah” crowd receiving an education in a player’s overall value.
    Thank you for making my month.

51. Kris on March 11th, 2010 9:44 pm

Just got my copy this evening. Awesome job. This is great.

52. Liam on March 16th, 2010 1:38 pm

Rob Neyer has a story up today on the effect that a defense has on pitchers.

But you’ve also saved the pitcher 3.2 pitches (or whatever). Do those saved pitches make our pitcher more effective later in the inning? Later in the game? Do those saved pitches allow our manager to replace our starter in the seventh inning with our third-best reliever rather than in the sixth inning with our fourth-best reliever.

I had to smile when I saw this because there’s an article in the annual by Vince Gennaro on the questions he is asking.

53. keltic on March 16th, 2010 9:16 pm

I live in Victoria BC and could hardly believe my eyes when I saw some copies in a local grocery store… I thought I would have to wait until I headed down for some games this summer.