2010 Opening Day Roster Set

Jay Yencich · April 4, 2010 at 11:01 am · Filed Under Mariners

Official press release, with some official misspellings.

That means your 2010 Mariners are as follows:

RHP David Aardsma
RHP Shawn Kelley
RHP Brandon League
RHP Mark Lowe
RHP Kanekoa Texeira
RHP Sean White

The Mariners will start the season with Erik Bedard, Cliff Lee, and Jack Hannahan on the DL.

The big loser in this is probably Jesus Colome, who impressed this spring by walking three and striking out twelve in 12.1 innings, when the usual mark for him might be something like six walks and eight Ks. I’d say that this is indicative of the fact that the M’s are willing to exercise restraint and not take spring training results at face value, but then again, Sweeney. If things don’t go so well, expect to see a lot of Kelley, Texeira, and White, who were so thoughtfully stretched out beforehand.

The runner-up for big loser (loser of the year?) is probably Josh Wilson, as the M’s opted for the offensive potential of Tui over a more proficient glove. Of course, once Hannahan comes back, we could see things get rearranged.

Also, MLB.com is televising the final spring training game for free, if you can’t make it until tomorrow.

Comments

66 Responses to “2010 Opening Day Roster Set”

1. Dennisss on April 4th, 2010 11:32 am

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Felix pitch left-handed.

2. Liam on April 4th, 2010 11:34 am

Is the free preview subject to blackout restrictions?

3. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 11:41 am

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Felix pitch left-handed.

Sorry, I was copying off of my version of the ragball roster.

[Yes, I know that's not entirely accurate either. Shush.]

4. Liam on April 4th, 2010 12:05 pm

Oh well, I’m finding mlb.tv impossible to register for.

5. Kid_A on April 4th, 2010 12:11 pm
  6. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 12:12 pm

All you really need is a MLB.com log-in, which you may not have previously had a need for, but I haven’t used mine in probably five years and it still worked.

Being on the East Coast (and too poor to afford a normal MLB.TV subscription), this is the first game that I’ve watched!

7. joser on April 4th, 2010 12:18 pm

And Jack Cust was DFA’d, making Eric Chavez the A’s full-time DH. The M’s may not have the worst DH in baseball afterall.

This predictably, and hilariously, has already generated almost one thousand comments over at Athletic’s Nation.

Oh well, I’m finding mlb.tv impossible to register for.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Eventually I figured out that — even though there’s no indication of this, and the error message is misleading — for “username” you have to supply an email address (this is why there’s that checkmark about sending you email). Once you do that, you’ll be happily registered and they’ll stop giving you bogus error messages about your password.

With the rate of unemployment in this country, that the UI designer for MLB still has a job is the blackest of jokes.

8. Liam on April 4th, 2010 12:24 pm

Yeah, it kept giving me the error message saying my password had to be at least 6 characters and the same in both boxes. I found an alternate link to register and it’s working now.

9. joser on April 4th, 2010 12:26 pm

Felix’s body contains so much awesome he’d probably be above average pitching as a lefty too. Speaking of which, I really want this guy and his 6 finger glove to make it to the majors.

I know this is not supposed to be a game thread, and I know this is just one game against the #5 starter of a mediocre NL team, but I sure like what the upgraded-OBA M’s lineup is doing in the first inning today. “Mo’ Powah!” is not the only way to score runs.

10. MedicineHat on April 4th, 2010 12:26 pm

Unfortunately I think this looks like a sub .500 lineup to me. Assuming a healthy Lee, there are two Aces and three 5th starters. the defense isn’t as good as last year and the bullpen is a question. We all know the offense is going to struggle to score.

11. joser on April 4th, 2010 12:32 pm

I have to say having the Pitch FX data pop up on the TV broadcast is cool. I look forward to game where Tony Blengino visits the booth to explain what negative numbers on the vertical break mean and why the spin RPM matters, immediately followed by the toupee-muffled whump! sound of Rizzs’ head exploding.

12. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 12:33 pm

It’s not intended as a game thread and I meant it to be more of a roster construction post, but realistically, we’ve hashed and rehashed what’s happened as the news has come in, and I invited some game discussion by mentioning the MLB.TV freebie.

13. Liam on April 4th, 2010 12:35 pm

I wouldn’t be upset if they just canceled the game right now.

Opening day is tonight (or tomorrow for everyone else), it’s raining, they’re playing in front of ~1000 people and the Giants have to fly out to Houston.

14. jordan on April 4th, 2010 12:38 pm

That was encouraging, Lopez.

/sarcasm

15. henryv on April 4th, 2010 12:43 pm

RR-S certainly isn’t a “5th starter” any more.

And I don’t know that Bedard is going to be that either.

The defense isn’t going to be as good as last year, because it would be on the verge of impossible to have a better defense.

However, we have replaced Yuni and Branyan with significantly better fielders. Kotchman has a great glove. And Figgins is going to give the 3 and 4 hitters a TON of chances to drive in runs.

Sub-.500 would probably mean that Lee doesn’t return for a long time, Bedard is worthless, and Milton Bradley doesn’t hit.

And if all 3 of those happen, this team might still hover around .500.

16. duzer13 on April 4th, 2010 12:46 pm

Niehaus just said that Lee and Bedard threw in the bullpen this morning.

17. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 12:48 pm

Dave says that Pineda might be pitching after Vargas. That would make my day.

18. tmac9311 on April 4th, 2010 12:49 pm

* and # mean what???

After an awesome winter, this lineup is more than a little discouraging. I was honestly [psyched] to watch Garko play 1 to 2 times a week. Don’t ask me why.

I’m not fond of trying to add some pop on the bench after going all out defense. Tui+Sweeney does not equal a Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez. Hopefully this team survives, and If they opt Sweeney down for Hannahan the line up already looks a hell of a lot better. Having both Langerhauns and Brynes is encouraging that Bradley will DH more frequently than we originally thought with Sweeney making the roster.

I really like the Bullpen how it is setup, and once the team is healthy I think the rotation will be stacked. King-Lee-Bedard-RRS-Snell seems pretty good, though I’m not to high on Snell, he seems to have lost it. But plug in Fister or Vargas for Snell and the roster doesn’t take much of a hit at all. Even King-Lee-RRS-Fister-Vargas is a good looking rotation I think.

So the team is kind of a downer right now, but after plugging in the hurt guys, I like the setup a lot more. Hopefully Snell gets it together, or I say we just move him for whatever we can get.

19. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 12:55 pm

* and # mean what???

Traditionally, * designates left-handed hitter and # indicates switch.

20. jordan on April 4th, 2010 12:55 pm

I really like the patience I am seeing out of the lineup.. If someone even shows a hint of struggle, then they will make them work… like we are seeing now..

And YES, I hope this game goes long enough to see Pineda!!!!

21. Jon S. on April 4th, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone know why Johnson is the starter and not Moore? Moore is talked about as a prospect while Johnson (though younger than I realized) isn’t. I feel like Moore should have a shot at regular playing time so he can continue to develop. He needs PAs and innings. This is the exact reason why I’m a fan of Langerhans making the team while Saunders starts in Tacoma. No use having a prospect warm the bench until late august (playoff roster cutoff time).

22. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:00 pm

The Felix/Kendry MLB2K10 commercial is pretty entertaining on first viewing. But man, the in-game player model for Kenry just looks messed up with a head that doesn’t fit on his shoulders (whereas they somehow managed to capture the Felix scowl despite the model not really looking like him otherwise).

23. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:01 pm

Wak has said that Johnson and Moore will be splitting time about evenly. The only reason I put Johnson as the starter was because I expect him to catch Felix in the opener.

24. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:07 pm

Going back to how often the 3 and 4 hitters are going to get the chance to hit with runners on.

Ichiro is projected to have an OBP of .368 (by ZIPs), and Figgins about .373.

That means that you can expect at least one of them on 60.4%, with two of them on (or one already in) 14% of the time, without them recording an out.

I mean, in all seriousness, we could score a lot of runs early in the games, with just mediocre hitting from the 3 and 4 hitters. And I don’t think Guti or Bradley will be mediocre. I just hope that Kotchman figures it out. I really think that Bradley and Kotchman are the keys, since if they have a good year, you really can see this lineup come together very nicely.

25. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:08 pm

And if at the end of the week they both have 3 starts each, or 4 and 2, will your concerns remain? Felix is the opening day pitcher, and he likes pitching to Johnson (who was his exclusive catcher last year, though they made a point of having Moore catch a Felix start in ST).

Moore and Johnson are going to be “co-starters,” especially at the start of the season with Johnson still recovering from all his surgeries. Moore should have lots of playing time and every opportunity to take the “starting” job away from Johnson.

Only one catcher can be the opening day starter, and if they give that ceremonial distinction to Johnson you shouldn’t read too much into it.

26. jordan on April 4th, 2010 1:09 pm

Yeah, and can you imagine if Bradley duplicated the year he had with the Rangers 2 years ago?

27. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:13 pm

As far as the Fister-Vargas-Snell combo, when Lee comes back is it going to be the pitcher with the worst April that ends up getting sent down or sent away?

Or does one of these guys have the spot locked up (at least until Bedard returns)?

28. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:16 pm

It may skewed towards sparing Vargas his final option year unless they absolutely need to. Snell is going to be set probably, as he’s out of options. I’d say Fister is the most likely to be sent to Tacoma if it comes to it. He would be somewhat redundant in the pen.

29. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:22 pm

I realize this isn’t a game thread…

But did you guys just see the catch by the poncho?

Ichiro! is that you?

30. Jon S. on April 4th, 2010 1:25 pm

@Jay: I’d heard that Wak said that, but I also thought that this was info from the Ms press release. I was worried that Moore getting lots of playing time was one of those things that Wak says, but just won’t happen (like Bradley starting everyday in LF). Johnson being officially listed as our everyday starting catcher would make me a very sad panda.

31. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:27 pm

Josh Wilson continuing to make the case for why I hope he doesn’t get plucked off waivers. This team needs an option if the other Wilson is out for a couple of weeks at a stretch, and Tui isn’t it.

32. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:28 pm

I am going to go on the record right now and say Aardsma worries me more than just about any other pitcher on the staff. He was more than a little lucky last year (4% HR/FB rate vs 8% for his career, .271 BABAIP vs .311 career) and he seemed shaky in all his appearances in ST. With what looks like yet another year of close games in the offing, I sure hope he stays lucky and gets his other issues sorted out. I have no worry that Wak will stick with him as he blows save after save, but with the division race looking to be so close, we can’t really afford any while he figures it out.

33. Jeff Nye on April 4th, 2010 1:31 pm

I haven’t had any confidence in Aardsma for a while now.

34. Liam on April 4th, 2010 1:33 pm

Josh Wilson doesn’t go on waivers unless he is brought up and sent back down, right?

35. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:34 pm

The press release also announces Griffey is the starting DH. Do you think that means Wak is writing him into the lineup for 162 games (minus however many interleague games are in NL parks)?

It’s entirely possible that Johnson will get more games than we’d like (in fact, given the sentiment around here that any games started by Johnson are too many, that’s quite likely). But given everything the team has said about Moore, last year and during the offseason and in spring training, I don’t think we have to worry about him mouldering on the bench to the point where we’re wishing he was getting regular work in Tacoma.

(And as I write this, Moore makes a great play throwing out a good bunt).

36. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:35 pm

I’m continually in awe of how much Moore’s defense has improved since he was drafted.

37. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:36 pm

I am 100% behind this statement.

Is Lowe or League the closer-in-waiting?

Is Fields still a year away from that role?

38. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:38 pm

Oh, please, Moore, become our catcher of the present… I am tired of “catchers of the future”.

39. Marinersmanjk on April 4th, 2010 1:38 pm

Being how our bullpen led the majors in blown saves last year, (28) and how shaky Aardsma has been. What are the chances of switching up the roles and putting Lowe as the closer if Aardsma doesn’t perform in April. As joser said, we can’t wait for him to figure it out.
    Is there any news on Rafael DePaula? It was reported a couple weeks ago that he would sign with either the M’s or Yankees. From a couple videos I’ve seen he looks pretty good. Some control problems, but that’s expected from a young kid like him.

40. henryv on April 4th, 2010 1:40 pm

Everyone ground out fast so that we can watch Pineda pitch.

NO! STOP GETTING HITS!

41. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:46 pm

Yeah, now that I look at it, he’s not on the 40 man (whereas Tui was, and still has options, which probably made a ton of difference). So yeah, if I understand it correctly he’s safely stashed in Tacoma right now and they only have to pass him through waivers if they bring him up as an injury replacement and then try to send him down again.

Geoff Baker seems to have it laid out.

(And as I write this, Tui continues to make his case for staying with the team — though that may or may not have gone out at Safeco, which is 30 or 40 feet deeper at that spot)

42. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:47 pm

Is Lowe or League the closer-in-waiting?

Is Fields still a year away from that role?

Both are realistic possibilities. Fields has been uneven, in part due to a strained left oblique during last season which led to some mechanical issues. He needs to straighten out and regain confidence before we really start talking about him. It could be a half year, it could be a year before that happens.

Nothing new for two weeks or so, though all reports have it down to those two teams. The M’s were also pursuing a Taiwanese RHP, Min-tzu Chen, and sent three scouts to watch him recently, but for one thing, he’s only a recent convert to pitching, for another, he only hit 88 on the gun in his outing, and for a third, he’s asking for $300-500k, so I’m not so hot on that deal getting done soon. For reference, we’ve given about $500k to younger pitchers with more experience and better stuff in the past.

43. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:48 pm

Everyone ground out fast so that we can watch Pineda pitch.

I fully endorse this comment. Heck, let’s just see him warming up in the bullpen.

However, Tommy Everidge running is just entertaining in itself.

44. Marinersmanjk on April 4th, 2010 1:51 pm

What’s the deal with Everidge? Will he accept a demotion to AAA or will he have to clear waivers?

45. Liam on April 4th, 2010 1:54 pm

Since you can blow multiple saves in one game, the stat can be misleading.

League should be next in line for the closer role if Aardsma struggles.

46. Liam on April 4th, 2010 1:56 pm

Tommy Everidge already cleared waivers back in January, he’ll start the year in AAA.

47. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:56 pm

I love James Jones. He looks 12 years old in that Great Gazoo batting helmet (seen here with Sweeney and Tommy Everidge on the left).

48. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:56 pm

Everidge wasn’t on the 40-man. The NRI list is completely distinct w/r/t rules from the normal 40-man. There are no waivers, no designation, and the only way a player can opt out is if their contract stipulates that they can.

I wish Jones hadn’t flown out to end that inning, but I’m excited about Pineda.

49. Chris_From_Bothell on April 4th, 2010 1:57 pm

Not worried about Aardsma at all now that we have League. I have faith that Wak and company will not let Aardsma flail for too long if he looks to be more than just regressing slightly from last year.

50. joser on April 4th, 2010 1:58 pm

Annnnnnd…. it’s Pineda Colada time. (Please, no “walks in the rain” today)

51. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 1:59 pm

I <3 Pineda.

All fastballs, 91-95, then on a 3-2 count, drops in a 80 mph slider for a K.

52. Marinersmanjk on April 4th, 2010 2:02 pm

League does seem to have the closer stuff, but his knack for giving up homeruns is a bit concerning. Plus, seeing as how long Lowe has been here and how good he was last year, I’d have to see him getting some consideration for the closer spot if Aardsma struggles.

53. Liam on April 4th, 2010 2:05 pm

And that’s a wrap! Like others, I have been waiting for Spring training to just end already.

54. joser on April 4th, 2010 2:07 pm

Well, crap. Though I guess striking out the pitcher wouldn’t be all that impressive anyway.

55. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 2:08 pm

I love James Jones. He looks 12 years old in that Great Gazoo batting helmet

I don’t know if he could top Elpidio Guzman in spring training back in 2004. That kid’s helmet was several sizes too big, but alas, I can’t find pictures of him.

56. Liam on April 4th, 2010 2:12 pm

If you look at Mark Lowe’s splits, he struggles against lefties. Brandon League is effective against both left/right and gets more ground ball outs.

57. Jon S. on April 4th, 2010 3:07 pm

If Moore gets something at least resembling regular playing time, I have no doubt that he will force his way into the lineup most every day. My worry was that Wak didn’t intend to play Moore as often as he said, denying Moore the chance to show consistency and keeping him from developing a feel for playing at a high level. The sabermetrically inclined among us know that bench players and part-time players perform at a lower level than thier true talent level. I don’t want Moore to be sold short for lack of playing time like Branyan was all his career. I like how the Ms are willing to give Kotchman a long, hard look as an everyday player. I just want them to do the same for Moore.

58. SonOfZavaras on April 4th, 2010 3:42 pm

One question, Jay (and hope you are able to read it with the game being over for over an hour now)-

Who’s Jesus Colume? (J/K!!)

No, it’s about Pineda. I don’t remember his physical description being THIS massive (6’5″ 225 yes- but the kid I saw on the mound looked over 6’6″, and had to be about 245 of mostly-butt and legs).

Did the guy grow? And add about 4 MPH to his fastball (I remember reports that he topped out at 91 MPH.)? And should we be as excited as what Dave Niehaus, Dave Sims and crew were?

Spring Training over, Opening Day is imminent! Yay! Bring on all 578 of Dave Sims’ funky hats, I’m ready!!!

59. henryv on April 4th, 2010 4:03 pm

No, it’s about Pineda. I don’t remember his physical description being THIS massive (6?5? 225 yes- but the kid I saw on the mound looked over 6?6?, and had to be about 245 of mostly-butt and legs).

On the broadcast they listed him at 6’8″. No idea if it’s true. But, man, does that kid have a pitcher’s build.

A question for Jay, or someone more in the know: Is there any chance, or any reason, that Pineda would end up in Tacoma, so we can see him pitch locally this year?

60. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 4:05 pm

This is a good set of questions. Pineda has been listed at 6’5 the past two years in the states, and was 180 around the time of his signing. As to velocity, he was throwing 88-92 mph and rarely touching around 95 when he was in Wisconsin, so he’s definitely throwing a great deal harder than he used to with same command. He’s gone from a guy who signed for beans, really, in the DSL to the best starting prospect in the system, arm willing.

61. scott19 on April 4th, 2010 4:05 pm

Bring on all 578 of Dave Sims’ funky hats, I’m ready!!!

As far as professional sportscasters go, Dave Sims is to hats as Don Cherry is to sportcoats. :)

62. Jay Yencich on April 4th, 2010 4:07 pm

West Tenn starting out. He may move up later as performance dictates, but the M’s have not been overly aggressive with their promotions since Zduriencik took over and it’s probably ambitious enough for them that he end up in double-A, considering he threw less than 50 innings total in advanced-A. The broadcasters talked as though he could break camp with the M’s next year, but I’m less certain about that. He will be added to the 40-man in the fall though.

63. Adam S on April 4th, 2010 6:00 pm

However, we have replaced Yuni and Branyan with significantly better fielders.
    I’m amused that people assert the former while stating the latter. Is Bradley THAT terrible? I guess our team UZR is unlikely to match that of last year because last year was so extreme. Still Lopez, Gutierrez, Ichiro and catcher are as good as they were last year. A full season of Figgins is an upgrade from 1/2 season of Beltre plus others. And as noted we’ve upgraded Bryan et al and the half season of Yuni. Bradley seems average. Is the fall off simply regression to the mean?

Since you can blow multiple saves in one game, the stat can be misleading.
    The last time this “blown saves” stat was quoted, I ran an analysis of the game logs and posted it. There weren’t any games where the M’s blew multiple saves. IIRC, most of the blown saves were in the 7th and 8th innings, NOT in the 9th inning. I can try to dig up the data if anyone cares.

64. Matt the Dragon on April 4th, 2010 6:42 pm

Is the fall off simply regression to the mean?

Basically, yes.

65. Kazinski on April 4th, 2010 6:43 pm

I like Lowe and all, but you do know that he led the AL in blown saves last year with 10, right? I think blown saves, is right there with walk off home runs at the apex of small sample size stats, but you do tend to remember almost every one.

66. nathaniel dawson on April 4th, 2010 8:38 pm

Adam, can you also look at how many of those blown saves ended up as Mariner losses?