Large Item Pickup Day

Dave · May 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm · Filed Under Mariners

The part of North Carolina that I live in is a pretty interesting mix. Wake Forest University is one of the more uppity schools in the country, and the combination of rich white college kids with the old money homes that surround the area make the town feel more well off than your traditional southern town. However, there are days when the area reminds me very quickly that I now live in the south. Today is one of those days.

It’s officially called “Large Item Pickup Day”. It’s my neighborhood’s turn to have the city come by and collect items that are too large for us to haul away, but that we don’t want around the house anymore. It’s a pretty nice service, actually. Between appliances and furniture, it seems like something big and heavy gets replaced every year, and not having to try to borrow a friend’s truck to take it to the dump is pretty convenient. You just hang onto whatever you don’t want until your neighborhood’s turn comes along, and then you put your large items by the curb and the city takes them away.

At least, in theory, the city comes by and takes stuff away. In reality, Large Item Pickup Weekend is one of the most hilarious, insane, can’t-believe-what-you’re-watching activities of the year. Before the cities trucks ever make it around to collect your items, people come to see what they can grab first. And by people, I mean the cast members of Deliverance. And by collect, I mean “grab as much useless junk as they can haul”. Generally, within 15 to 20 minutes of putting something out at your curb, a man in a truck (with a low probability of wearing a shirt and a very high probability of smoking) will have stopped, loaded up the whole pile, and driven away. Sometimes, he’ll have a partner who will pick through your junk, deciding which of the things you want to discard isn’t good enough for his home, but in the end, they usually take everything.

A few years ago, I was helping a friend by taking his stuff from his garage to his curb the day before Large Item Pickup Day, since he was under the weather. I took the first thing (a broken kiddie pool, I believe) to the curb, walked back to the garage, grabbed the second thing, and by the time I got back to the curb, the first thing was already gone. These people are like hawks. Hawks of trash.

Today, when observing the folks who deemed my crap nice enough to load up in their remarkably nice truck (perhaps if they spent a little less on their trucks they wouldn’t need my broken screen door?), I had an epiphany – the Mariners constructed their roster using the baseball version of Large Item Pickup Day.

The rest of baseball left Mike Sweeney, Milton Bradley, Ian Snell, Jesus Colome, Josh Wilson, Josh Bard, and Ryan Langerhans on the curb this winter. That’s 28 percent of the current active roster that no one else wanted, and we’re not even counting Griffey (who wouldn’t have gotten another job had the Mariners not brought him back), though we probably should. Essentially 1/3 of the roster the M’s are running out on a daily basis are rejects from other organizations who have either cleared waivers recently or would clear waivers without a problem. The Mariners, in their shiny new truck, went around the league and rounded out their roster with discards.

There can be value in things left at the curb. Today, I put out a bookshelf/armoire/dresser thing that my wife hated and we didn’t have room for, but it was in pretty good shape and I probably could have gotten $30 or $40 for it had I put it in on Craigslist. It has some value, and the fine (marginally clothed) people who took it got a good deal with that free piece of furniture. But they had to pick up a lot of crap to get to that relative diamond in the rough, and when they get home, they’re going to have to find places to put all their junk (and my armoire). There’s a pretty decent chance they’d have been better off just buying an armoire on craigslist and not have to sort through and store the rest of the crap they left with too.

And that’s kind of how dumpster diving in baseball works as well. You can do it effectively to fill out a couple of roster spots and take some gambles on guys – if it works, great, if not, you just dump them and try someone else. But when your starting catcher, starting shortstop, starting left-fielder, starting DH platoon, fifth man in the rotation, and your long reliever are all guys that you picked up on the curb, well, then you just have too much crap on the roster. And when you can’t cut bait on experiments gone wrong because it will upset the clubhouse or cause you bad P.R., then you have no business owning that particular large item in the first place.

If the Mariners want to make up the significant hole they’ve dug themselves, they’ll have to stop hoping to find a marginally useful free armoire, go to the store, and buy something that actually makes the place look nice. Or, in this roster’s case, buy a few somethings in a hurry, or you might as well starting preparing for the garage sale in July when you sell off everything that was too nice to leave at the curb.

Comments

65 Responses to “Large Item Pickup Day”

1. dingla on May 23rd, 2010 10:47 pm

2. low on May 23rd, 2010 10:50 pm

Free agent dumpster divers: your 2010 Mariners!

Should Z sign Carlos Delgado, Jermaine Dye, or ask the Mets what they want for Gary Matthews Jr.?

3. juneau_fan on May 23rd, 2010 10:58 pm

5, 4, 3…until the first Adrian Gonzalez fanboying…

I see we already have Jermaine Dye, so that’s one off the checklist of tired old dogs already roundly dismissed in a previous post.

4. Koala on May 23rd, 2010 11:08 pm

ROFL this is the best post I’ve read on here since I started reading this blog

5. NBarnes on May 23rd, 2010 11:17 pm

Eh. I’d tend to think that effective dumpster diving is an effective skill for a MLB GM to have. I mean, of the guys you list, Langerhans, Bard, Bradley, and Colome are absolutely MLB-quality baseball players. And if you can get such a beast for free, that’s useful. Josh Wilson and Snell are less clearly useful, but hardly wastes of roster space (with the word on Snell being ‘upside’).

It’s not working out as well for us this year as we’d like, but last year’s efforts were awesome. I’m sure I don’t need to remind people that Branyan and Aarsdma were similar bargain bin finds.

I’m simply going to have to disagree with Dave here; the problem isn’t that the Mariners are unwilling to spend on real solutions to their roster needs. Almost everybody liked the Figgins signing, including me, and this season would be going better if he weren’t OPS+ing 60 (I’m trying not to hate on Figgins, whom I don’t dislike, but his horrible season to date has hurt the team). The season would be going better if Lopez hadn’t forgotten how to hit over the offseason. But the real problem, the one I think that motivates this post, is simply that Ken Griffey has no business on a major league roster and Z and Wak don’t seem to notice or care.

6. DAMellen on May 23rd, 2010 11:24 pm

Hey, come on. Bradley, Langerhans, and Bard look like totally worthwhile players to me. And we didn’t get Bradley for free. We got him in exchange for a terrible investment. That’s different. Or at least differentish. Snell might not be a total waste as a 5. Sweeney can swing…lately. And Griffey and Colome…

7. Dave on May 23rd, 2010 11:25 pm

There’s a big difference between “no one else wants them” and “undervalued”.

Aardsma wasn’t free – we had to trade for him, because he wouldn’t have cleared waivers. Branyan wasn’t free – he cost over $1 million to sign as a free agent, and his incentives pushed the total paycheck over $2 million.

These guys are not that. The Mariners simply have too many players that aren’t major league quality. They were on the curb for a reason. They’re not good enough to play at this level (or, in the case of Bradley/Snell, their contracts make them negative assets).

8. pinball1973 on May 23rd, 2010 11:28 pm

Perhaps my last comment about the team this season: You really sold your fans a pile of manure and had us believing there was a pony somewhere.

Ichiro! It’s time to move on.

9. low on May 23rd, 2010 11:39 pm

When is Jack Wilson coming back? Where has his glove been this year? Has he been playing hurt this whole time?

Interesting subplot: Lopez’s reinvention as a solid third baseman with power (in the right park). I’m sure he is among the top players who will be on the block for the M’s during trading season. He has a favorable contract. The question is who would want him?

Also: bat Ichiro! at cleanup? I realize this is not even a remote possibility. But he’s pretty much the only Mariner hitting right now (besides SSS) and it would be nice for there to always be a possibility of runners on base when he does. Right?

10. Liam on May 23rd, 2010 11:45 pm

Jack Wilson had a setback during his rehab.

11. spankystout on May 23rd, 2010 11:49 pm

Hilarious, and correct.

Once again we have Bavasi to thank. He left a depleted system, with serious top-heavy contracts. Jack Z is trying to plug holes from single-A all the way to the MLB. He definetly needs to pull the trigger on a Cliff Lee deal. This organization needs more than one bat, and Lee should fetch at least two solid players. If there are takers on Aardsma, trade him also. Those two guys should have a return of 2-4 bodies. If possible, and done right those two trades could net a nice rebuild package.

Jack Wilson is having a rough time returning. Bedard had a second ‘uncomfortable’ session. Griffey is toast. Sweeney is pseudo-injured, Josh Wilson isn’t an answer, Tui struggles everywhere, catchers not catching, hitters not hitting, etc……..

Adiós Cliff Lee. I wish we could have kept you but you are just too damn good for us. Damn you, and your awesomeness.

12. Marinersdude83 on May 23rd, 2010 11:56 pm

The Series agianst the Padres has to sum up the season. The M’s just can’t be consistent with the players they have.

13. scott19 on May 24th, 2010 12:01 am

A very good (not to mention, quite amusing) post, Dave!

Instead of the “golf course” ad this season, maybe they should’ve done one where Z and Wak are cruising around town in an old beat-up F-150 picking up other people’s throwaways. :)

14. wabbles on May 24th, 2010 12:02 am

OK, I don’t agree with that entire post but it does raise an interesting question. Who is the MLB equivalent of “the cast of Deliverance” who will come along to haul off our crap? The Padres?

15. JMHawkins on May 24th, 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, Bradley was a swap. We traded our own Large Larger Item for him. We gave the Cubs a 30 cu ft freezer that had stopped working a year and a half ago, but they seem to have gotten it going again. In exchange, we got an industrial strength buzz saw that shorted out and melted a few wires. I’m still optimistic we have the saw going again, but we don’t have enough lumber to make it really useful.

Plus our manager keeps trying to use it as a belt sander.

16. Breadbaker on May 24th, 2010 12:05 am

The Royals.

17. scott19 on May 24th, 2010 12:10 am

My vote goes to the Pirates — given both their ineptitude over the past 18 years as well as their proximity to West Virginia.

18. PackBob on May 24th, 2010 12:15 am

Good analogy, but when you also have the non-curbside players such as Figgens and Lopez hitting so poorly, it highlights the ineffectiveness of the add-ons. These guys were expected to “step up” and haven’t done so.

A few hot hitters can carry a team, but when Gutierrez cooled off from his hot start, Ichiro has been the only guy hitting on a consistent basis. You can’t win with just one guy hitting.

Griffey has crippled this team from the start. The guys who were expected to perform haven’t done so. The number of bit players just makes it worse.

19. tmac9311 on May 24th, 2010 12:16 am

My problem isn’t really with the players, as much as it is they are starting. We may be able to trade Tui for something and Josh Wilson for nothing, but Josh is more valuable to this team than Tui. Saunders should be starting left and Bradley should be starting DH. Sweeney has no business on the team, even with his hot bat. Bard is no better or no worse than Rob or Moore I think, so I don’t have much of an issue with him. We have 3 catchers than can’t hit or catch a ball in the dirt. Bard was a junk on the side of the road, but he just got put next to the equally useless catchers we already had in the garage. Snell has the upside, although he isn’t offering much of it.

but the post is still awesome and serves it’s purpose. I realize a humorous post can’t be 100% factual and true. Hopefully we can talk the Royals into trading us their truck for all our large items.

20. Aletheia on May 24th, 2010 12:27 am

Heh… parts of Winston are so like this though…

It’s just sad that the analogy works so well…

Dang it, I thought I left the 336 behind, but seriously… showing up in my baseball team. That just sucks

21. low on May 24th, 2010 12:34 am

Hey, don’t hate on Josh Bard. He is far better than Rob Johnson and has the experience to teach Adam Moore how to, you know, catch the ball.

I wonder if Rob Johnson is gone when Moore gets off the DL?

22. Westside guy on May 24th, 2010 12:43 am

We have those same people up here in the Pacific Northwest. I used to watch them when our area first started curbside recycling – they’d drive along and stop at each house, stealing the aluminum cans.

Fortunately they usually wear shirts up here, though, because the weather’s just not conducive to going without.

23. Westside guy on May 24th, 2010 12:45 am

I wonder if Rob Johnson is gone when Moore gets off the DL?

RoJo is on the good side of Wak’s belief system, and (in my opinion) it’s pretty obvious Moore is not. I’m betting Moore will be sent down to “get at bats”, while Johnson will be given the opportunity to work through his issues up here. Unfortunately lack of talent isn’t something most people can work through…

24. Evoxx on May 24th, 2010 1:01 am

Z should pull a rabbit out of his hat by signing Lee and then this off season do a Bavasi impersonation by bidding hard for Pena and Crawford. Nintendo is one of the few companies to do extremely well the past five years, why not go bull and leave the dumpster diving to Oakland?

25. NBarnes on May 24th, 2010 1:05 am

I distrust Carlos Pena. He’s good, but he’ll be 33 and has OBP’d over 377 exactly once and SLG’d over 500 exactly twice. He’s not the kind of elite 1b talent that’s worth locking up. I’m comfortable going year-to-year at first.

And he’s sucking in 2010, to date. Which doesn’t make me covet his services.

26. maqman on May 24th, 2010 1:42 am

Great piece Dave, I might disagree with some of your stuff sometimes but you are a fine writer.

27. Leroy Stanton on May 24th, 2010 2:28 am

I loved this one, Dave. Poignant and very funny.

28. The_Waco_Kid on May 24th, 2010 2:33 am

I think the point that the M’s are too unwilling to give up on failing experiments is right on. I think the judgements of which players are worthless are more questionable. Certainly we are limited, but I doubt we can make a good trade anytime soon, so I think (for now) playing time is a far bigger issue than roster spots.

29. okinawadave on May 24th, 2010 6:18 am

Dave, you’re awesome.

30. KimCinAZ on May 24th, 2010 6:52 am

All these names and somehow the biggest WASTE of money and prospects, a guy who NO ONE wanted in the off-season is nowhere to be found — Bedard.

31. Dennisss on May 24th, 2010 7:50 am

This little metaphor really captures the mistakes of this season. The Mariners did some big things right — Cliff Lee, Gutierrez, Felix, Figgins (?) — but they engaged in too much wishful thinking when it came to the back of the roster, and they gave way too much playing time to lost causes.

Every Roster Spot Counts — that should be the mantra for the front office going forward.

Then we can work on Every Managerial Decision Counts.

32. firova2 on May 24th, 2010 7:52 am

One of the better posts here. Thinking about Griffey: for all the incompetence Bavasi showed over the years, he did DFA two very popular Mariners–members of the 2001 squad to boot: John Olerud and Brett Boone in the middle of the season. He even pulled the plug on one of his own, Richie Sexson, though that was in the context of saving his own hide, perhaps. It should be done with Griffey. At least a “knee-related” DL stint is in order.

33. msb on May 24th, 2010 8:00 am

But an armoire give you lots of space to store the other valuable curbside finds.

34. eponymous coward on May 24th, 2010 8:48 am

If you want to expand the dumpster-diving metaphor a bit bigger, you can add Jack Hannahan, Future Backup Shortstop to that mix.

It’s also worth noting that Casey Kotchman is on his fourth organization, though he doesn’t meet the Large Item Pickup Standard. He’s more the $40 bookshelf/dresser you pick up used on Craigslist that your wife ends up hating because it doesn’t match the decor.

35. Adam B. on May 24th, 2010 9:01 am

So when do we get to see a post on Cliff Lee’s potential return? It may be a bit early for that, but it’s definitely getting late for the M’s.

I would assume Sabathia to the Brewers is a reasonable comparison?

36. hans on May 24th, 2010 9:23 am

Don’t the rest of you have “Large item pick up day” in your neighborhoods? It is alive and well in Berkeley and Oakland. However; the folks that come by to pick things up never had a part in “Deliverance”. It’s more the “student/young-professional-living-with-a-roommate” set. And they tend to be a little bit more selective.

37. kinbote on May 24th, 2010 9:29 am

This was brilliant, btw.

38. Jay R. on May 24th, 2010 9:45 am

Good stuff, Dave. First half was hilarious, while the second half made me want to beat my head against my desk.

The sooner CA retires, the better. In fact, I would just as soon have everyone who was around in 1995 out of decision-making positions at this point. There is no recapturing that magic; they need someone neutral who will build a good baseball team. Hopefully JackZ ends up being that guy.

39. brianc1279 on May 24th, 2010 9:53 am

So…what do you feel that we could pick up for a Cliff Lee? I realize we could get prospects at the ends of the season but it certainly seems better to build around Ichiro, Felix and Guti with some guys that will be ready to play next year. Cincinnati looks like a good trade partner as they could run away with their division if they added Lee.

40. brianc1279 on May 24th, 2010 9:53 am

So…what do you feel that we could pick up for a Cliff Lee? I realize we could get prospects at the end of the season but it certainly seems better to build around Ichiro, Felix and Guti with some guys that will be ready to play next year. Cincinnati looks like a good trade partner as they could run away with their division if they added Lee.

41. G-Man on May 24th, 2010 10:26 am

This putting out large items is somewhat similar to waiving, releasing, or maybe DFA’ing someone. You want to get rid of it/him, and if someone else really wants it/him, this is their chance.

They used to have some sort of free pickup days in some neighborhoods in the City of Seattle, but they quit it because people from other places would haul over their junk and toss it on the curb. Beacon Ave was a giant junkyard.

42. msb on May 24th, 2010 11:08 am

In my neighborhood, folks still just dump things on the corner when they move … and amazingly, it usually disappears.

43. Chris_From_Bothell on May 24th, 2010 11:31 am

I thought you guys liked Bradley and Langerhans? The rest of that list I understand, though.

I didn’t hear too much jumping up and down about settling for the LIPD guys when they were picked up in the offseason or prior season, apart from Sweeney. I suppose Z might have been given a pass on this past spring considering what he found with guys like Aardsma before. Or that even the best of the rest weren’t much better than who the Ms settled for, and not even throwing money around would have gotten the Ms much better.

But the next couple of seasons of free agents should be pretty good, and I suspect this fall Z won’t be given as much benefit of the doubt, so that filling out the rest of the roster on the cheap won’t cut it anymore.

Same for not being willing to pay up for the bigger free agents, the way they didn’t stay involved with Bay or Holliday this past offseason.

44. z24lax on May 24th, 2010 11:45 am

Casey kotchman is the armoir that was bought new for $100, but then you broke bringing into the house, then it got sold on craigslist for $80 bucks, that guy saw it was broken and cut his losses and sold it for $40 bucks, that guy treid to fix it, but it ended up a little more messed up than before, so that guy found a third fool who he sold it too for $50 bucks who swore he could fix it and make it worth at least $80 again, but its actual value is about $20.

That is Casey Kotchman, and the mariners are that third fool

45. wh33ls on May 24th, 2010 11:49 am

Dave, I like this post a lot.

46. Shizane on May 24th, 2010 11:53 am

Let’s hope the M’s don’t end up on an episode of Hoarders.

“When our film crew arrived, they could barely make it through the living room, which was overflowing with Jesus Colomes, Ian Snells, and the like.”

“I just can’t convince myself to throw them away; they can still be useful in some way”, says chronic hoarder Jack Z.

47. Leroy Stanton on May 24th, 2010 11:54 am

It’s hard to believe that Eric Byrnes hasn’t been mentioned yet.

48. Goody on May 24th, 2010 12:32 pm

Last year the FO got very lucky by picking up undervalued pieces. Perhaps they thought too highly of their ability to coax something out of something that everyone else sees as worthless. Blow it up. Start over.

49. joser on May 24th, 2010 12:37 pm

The Royals.

Impossible now to think “Dayton Moore” without hearing the opening to “Dueling Banjos” in my head.
    (Who is playing the other banjo? Omar Minaya?)

50. joser on May 24th, 2010 12:42 pm

Last year the FO got very lucky by picking up undervalued pieces.

Gambles are gambles, and winning them shouldn’t make you forget that. Last year some of those dumpster finds turned out to be diamonds, the bullpen got lucky, and the team won a lot of one-run games. This year, not so much on all of the above. Even smart gamblers who know the odds and make only the best bets lose on occasion. (Of course, doing dumb things with inflexible rosters doesn’t help.)

51. mln on May 24th, 2010 1:23 pm

The Mariners as dumpster divers. LoL.

Next time, they should probably stick to shopping on Craigslist or eBay.

52. georgmi on May 24th, 2010 1:35 pm

They’re shopping on eBay, but they keep getting sniped.

53. jking12 on May 24th, 2010 2:33 pm

Dave,

Have you ever been to a Wake basketball game?

54. Diehard on May 24th, 2010 2:35 pm

GMZ went cheap on the offense and took gambles on a bunch of guys and none have worked out this year. Hope he learns from this and starts getting come quality guys to anchor this lineup before he goes looking for bargains at the curb in the future.

55. scott19 on May 24th, 2010 3:09 pm

It’s hard to believe that Eric Byrnes hasn’t been mentioned yet.

You’ll find him these days down at Play It Again Sports right next to all the softball gear! :)

56. MKT on May 24th, 2010 3:09 pm

Great post.

In most Los Angeles area neighborhoods and towns, every week is LIPD: you simply call in advance and tell them that in addition to your usual trash, you have a large item, and the Bureau of Sanitation or whoever picks it up.

Recycling is also we-do-it-all-for-you. After experimenting with pre-sorted recycling, the way most cities do it, most LA-area towns now simply say dump all your recyclables (not including electronics) into a single container. All the stuff gets put onto a conveyor belt where employees (I suspect these are unskilled workers making minimum wage, of whom there are plenty in LA) do the sorting.

Given that California is as tax-averse as most other states, I’m a bit surprised at the high level of service provided by the trash and recycling departments. Quite possibly, they discovered that Southern Californians are incompetent at sorting their own recyclables, and dump stuff on the curb regardless, so the towns realized they better provide the service.

Back to baseball: the once-a-year LIPD is like the baseball off-season, where you know that every year there will be a chance to pick up cheap free agents cast off by other teams. LA’s year-round LIP is more like the search for international free agents. You don’t know when and where you’ll find them, you just have to go scouting all over the place to find the 17-year old fireballing pitcher, or the 17-year old armoire.

57. StankeyGrammasBroglio on May 24th, 2010 3:57 pm

Wak and Z aren’t dummies. They do not elect, as a matter of choice, to sit in the hotseat for weeks while something named Junior stinks in their clubhouse. My conspiracy theory says that they are forced to keep him by the Nippon-Seattle ownership.
    By the way, this was a very well written and pleasureful post. Thanks.

58. Shanfan on May 24th, 2010 4:38 pm

Excellent, hilarious writing, Dave, and a good analogy. God bless the cooters for their contribution to recycling. Z needs to make sure he’s cruising the nicer neighborhoods when picking up large items and stay away from the ghettos of Washington, Oakland, San Diego, Pittsburgh, etc. But that’s still better than Bavasi, who would put nice pieces out on the curb and then go pay somebody else for their crap.

59. droppedrod on May 24th, 2010 4:54 pm

Excellent analogy and a great post . . .

It doesn’t happen only in North Carolina though. I once put 25 bags of cement mix I had left over from an ill-conceived home improvement project on the curb in Ballard with a free sign. They had been in the rain for 10 months and half were solid blocks. None the less, someone took them within 30 minutes.

Why do I mention this? Because sometimes the only utility is that something is cheap or free. Z got a little too enamored with his success on some dumpster diving last year and this year’s roster is the result. Hopefully he has learned that some things are on the curb for a reason.

60. peterp16 on May 24th, 2010 6:17 pm

Living in a nice part of Tacoma (yes, they do exist), I don’t have the equivalent of LIPD. I found something that works as well, and doesn’t even require a special day. I can put something out on a well-traveled corner a half-block away with a “free” sign on it, just in case anyone had any hesitation whatsoever, and the item would vanish within a few hours. My last drop-off included some overgrown plants from the yard, rootballs and all. Hmmm — maybe if the Ms attached a sign to the backs of a couple of unproductive players and left ‘em on Edgar Martinez Drive it would work the same way — gone before the end of the homestand. Why wait until July 31st to do something…

61. badperson_ny on May 24th, 2010 8:26 pm

I’m sure this has been covered before, but in looking at the upcoming schedule…two series with the Angels, one with the twins, one with texas…if the m’s don’t turn it on now through the first week of june or so, they’re done, right?
    bp

62. Rick L on May 25th, 2010 6:37 am

buy something that actually makes the place look nice.

Like who?

63. rcc on May 25th, 2010 11:18 am

Great read Dave. I chuckled at the imagery you created. Speaking of pick ups….whatever happened to Chris Doyle Snelling? If he is still playing what about picking him up?

64. ferocious_gentleman on May 25th, 2010 1:02 pm

So does the city actually end up collecting anything, or does periodically lifting the ban on curbside junk sort of work itself out without sending out the truck(s)? Are there verified sightings of the official collection vehicle(s)?

65. MKT on August 9th, 2010 1:17 pm

A late addendum: Winston-Salem, NC’s “bulky item pickup day” makes it way into the New York Times.