Game 65, Mariners at Cardinals

Dave · June 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Rowland-Smith vs Suppan, 5:05 pm.

Believe it or not, RRS has a better ERA than his opponent by over a full run. Yeah, this isn’t exactly a stellar pitching match-up. Both Suppan (5.06 xFIP) and Hyphen (5.82 xFIP) are better than their ERA, but that’s kind of like saying that an enema is better than kidney stones. This is an ugly match-up.

In not-surprising-at-all news, Ian Snell was designated for assignment today, and the Mariners purchased the contract of Brian Sweeney to take his spot in the bullpen. Sweeney’s not any kind of prospect, but he does one thing that Snell does not do, and that’s throw strikes. His stuff isn’t great, but he pounds the zone, and that will at least endear him to the coaching staff more than the guy he’s replacing.

Ichiro, RF
Figgins, 2B
Gutierrez, CF
Lopez, 3B
Bradley, LF
Josh Wilson, SS
Kotchman, 1B
Johnson, C
Rowland-Smith, P

Comments

65 Responses to “Game 65, Mariners at Cardinals”

1. Nate on June 15th, 2010 1:29 pm

Let’s go ENEMA!!

2. Keo on June 15th, 2010 1:30 pm

Was Ian Snell really being paid 4.4 million?

Did our pocket book just get a whole lot lighter?

3. Dave on June 15th, 2010 1:32 pm

He was being paid $4.4 million whether he was pitching for the M’s or not. This doesn’t change their budget at all.

4. pgreyy on June 15th, 2010 1:40 pm

What are the chances of Snell clearing waivers and taking the Tacoma assignment?

5. gloo on June 15th, 2010 1:43 pm

I’ve not had either, but given the choice, I’d rather go for an enema. People don’t pay to get kidney stones, but enemas were quite popular a few years ago I recall.

And if I were RRS, I’d rather be called a Kidney stone than an enema…

So a small victory already in the books for Hyphen!

6. jephdood on June 15th, 2010 1:48 pm

Do we have someone NOT born in the 1970′s that can come up here and throw strikes? This team isn’t going anywhere this year.. shouldn’t they be evaluating some youngER players up here that actually might have a future with this organization?

7. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 2:02 pm

Or, to borrow a line from the late, great Ronnie Van Zant, “Oooh, oooh…that Snell!”

8. Dennisss on June 15th, 2010 2:19 pm

Ian Snell was designated for assignment today

And there was much rejoicing.

9. Westside guy on June 15th, 2010 2:23 pm

We might be able to work a trade for Jamie Moyer – he wasn’t born in the 1970s.

10. EthanN on June 15th, 2010 2:29 pm

Is JZ throwing in the towel on this season yet?

11. GarForever on June 15th, 2010 2:38 pm

Do we have someone NOT born in the 1970’s that can come up here and throw strikes? This team isn’t going anywhere this year.. shouldn’t they be evaluating some youngER players up here that actually might have a future with this organization?

Understand the frustration, jephdood, but I think for the very short term this move makes sense. Right now, the M’s bullpen looks like Berlin c. 1945, and they need someone first and foremost who can stabilize it. Sweeney’s no prospect, as Dave says, but he has pitched with some success at the major league level before and his peripherals at Tacoma are pretty terrific, even after one recent rough-ish outing skewed his stats some. I think the last thing the team would want to do at this very minute is call up someone with a real future on the team and put him in the middle of that demoralized mess. Let’s steady the ship a bit, and then — hopefully — we’ll still have plenty of season left to see what some of the kids can do.

12. Dave Spiwak on June 15th, 2010 2:50 pm

Can we count Brian as our token Sweeney and get rid of Mr. Get a Hit and Throw my Back Out.

13. msfanmike on June 15th, 2010 3:26 pm

Great news on Snell being DFA’d

… and Sean White just officially started shaking in his shoes. He has got to be next.

Casey Kotchman and Tui demotions and/or trades (if not flat out “DFA’s”) when Wilson and Sweeney come back … then Sweeney to follow the same “path of exodus” shortly thereafter.

Adam Moore looks like he is serious about wanting to get his job back soon (based on his early returns with AAA rehab numbers)

Moore has to get it done (or at least be given a chance to see if he can get it done before any final trade decisions are made). Ditto Saunders and Carp.

We are going to get pummelled (maybe even more than we have been) with the younger guys playing consistently, but keep in mind; Griffey, Edgar and Jay took their fair share of beat-downs early in their careers too.

Make sure the revolving door is well maintained for the remainder of the season … it is going to be used a lot.

14. gloo on June 15th, 2010 3:37 pm

Halman’s on the 40 man roster, when can we expect to see him?

15. BleedsPurple_74 on June 15th, 2010 3:38 pm

Could someone please tell me why Rob Johnson is in the lineup? He can’t hit. He can’t catch. He can’t call a good game. He’s terrible. What happened to Alfonzo? Does anyone really believe Johnson has a better chance of getting on base and driving in runs than Alfonzo? They’re both righties facing a righty (Suppan) tonight. I’ve defended Wak a lot this year to my buddies and on other Mariners forums, but this constant playing of Johnson makes him look awful as a manager.

16. GOB Bluth on June 15th, 2010 3:42 pm

I am so happy to see Snell get the axe. I know the season is over but that doesn’t mean that we have to keep running out completly broken players. I would have prefered seeing a younger player getting called up instead of Sweeney but at least we aren’t keeping the players around that you know aren’t going to produce (I can only hope that White is next).

17. BleedsPurple_74 on June 15th, 2010 3:47 pm

Actually, I’m hoping Kotchman is next.

18. gloo on June 15th, 2010 3:49 pm

At this point BleedsPurp, I actually enjoy watching the show RoJo puts on. I’m just worried he may linger as a backup/personal catcher to Felix next year.

19. Diehard on June 15th, 2010 3:53 pm

Glad they got rid of Snell, he was dead weight and I never liked his attitude.

20. Wallingfjord on June 15th, 2010 4:24 pm

Glad they got rid of Snell, he was dead weight and I never liked his attitude.

What was his attitude as you perceived it? Just curious…

21. jephdood on June 15th, 2010 4:47 pm

Setting the over/under on hits for 7,8,9 today at one. And I’ll still go under.

7. Kotchman, 1B
    8. Johnson, C
    9. Rowland-Smith, P

22. Diehard on June 15th, 2010 4:51 pm

What was his attitude as you perceived it? Just curious…

He seriously is a sore loser. When everything goes wrong he blames others and just implodes. I’m sure Snell is a good guy but seriously, he came off as a little bitch when he went off on the comments Wak made a about his start a couple weeks back.

23. gloo on June 15th, 2010 4:53 pm

Snell and Figgins both. I think they followed Jr’s example.

24. DMZ on June 15th, 2010 5:13 pm

Really?

Snell heard, from people asking him questions at his locker, what he thought about Wak’s comments about him having a bad tempo. He’d just been rocked. We have no idea how those comments were represented to him, exactly. He takes exception to them, gets angry — and again, he’s just been shelled, in the middle of a crappy run in which he knows his job is on the line — and then later, talks to Wak and they work it out.

If you can’t summon some kind of sympathy or at least manage apathy for Snell in that situation, I hope you get that heart transplant soon because you’re about already indistinguishable from the dead.

25. SODOMOJO360 on June 15th, 2010 5:15 pm

Why Kotch, see what Carp can do over an extended period of playing time.

26. gloo on June 15th, 2010 5:17 pm

I feel for Snell, but my angst is aimed at Jr.

27. nvn8vbryce on June 15th, 2010 5:17 pm

I don’t know what’s more annoying: RoJo or the STL announcers saying “Itchy-row”

28. DMZ on June 15th, 2010 5:18 pm
  29. SODOMOJO360 on June 15th, 2010 5:31 pm

Whats your point DMZ? Anything is better than Kotch right?

30. MariLOLs on June 15th, 2010 5:32 pm

Snell always struck me as being oblivious to his own ineptitude. The occasional shots of him in the dugout he almost looked like he hadnt stunk it up on the field five minutes before.

And ANOTHER bases loaded situation that produced zero runs. Granted, there were two down, but how many bases loaded sitches have the M’s blown this week alone?

31. EthanN on June 15th, 2010 5:32 pm

I used to be the ultimate defender of RRS, but wow, he’s lost it. Doesn’t appear to be finding it anytime soon either.

Hopefully he can turn it around today, but I’m not holding my breath…

32. SODOMOJO360 on June 15th, 2010 5:33 pm

WOW, the Hyphen got through an inning!

33. lalo on June 15th, 2010 5:37 pm

Awesome, Hyphen not allow a HR in the first inning!!!

34. lalo on June 15th, 2010 5:39 pm

Awesome, Kotch not hit a grounder!!

35. SODOMOJO360 on June 15th, 2010 5:40 pm

wow, my 13 year old cousin can bunt better than that

36. EthanN on June 15th, 2010 5:42 pm

As much as I can’t stand the guy, its nice to see RoJo finally starting to hit the ball a little bit. That’s one less hitter batting in the .100′s

37. lalo on June 15th, 2010 5:46 pm

As much as I can’t stand the guy, its nice to see RoJo finally starting to hit the ball a little bit. That’s one less hitter batting in the .100’s

Ok, but is vs Jeff Suppan, and their average is 215, like a National League pitcher, without any quality defensive

38. Idaho M on June 15th, 2010 5:50 pm

How can any major league team bat Josh Wilson 6th and have Rowland-Smith in the rotation? Its an absolute joke. I would say Jack Z and Wak have one more year to put together a team that can at least compete. If we are sitting here next year running this crap out on the field, they both should be fired.

39. gloo on June 15th, 2010 5:53 pm

Are you angry with the results or the process? If you are angry with the process, I’d like to hear where they should improve.

The results are what they are, and who would you replace Hyphen with?

40. Hopmacker on June 15th, 2010 6:01 pm

I agree with gloo. The correct process is in place. While it is frustrating to see the current on the field results, given time, good processes will yield good results.

This is what is a struggle in the corporate world. No matter how fugged up things are, people expect immediate and positive change. Mostly people that have little or no clue as to what is really happening.

41. Idaho M on June 15th, 2010 6:04 pm

I dont think sympathy is necessary for someone whose W-2 this year is going to say 4,400,000 in the gross earnings box.

42. EthanN on June 15th, 2010 6:12 pm

Milton!!!!!

43. gloo on June 15th, 2010 6:16 pm

He may earn lots of $ but he is a pitcher in the MLB, or soon to be an ex-pitcher for the MLB, which I would believe would be more important for him.

I hear you Idaho M, but like they all say, ball players think differently than us.

44. EthanN on June 15th, 2010 6:27 pm

I think our pitchers don’t like pitching with leads

45. MarinersDiehard on June 15th, 2010 6:30 pm

What’s up with their pitchers doubling off of us?

46. IwearMsHats on June 15th, 2010 6:32 pm

How about that, Tony LaRusa putting the pitcher in the 8 hole and Holliday in the 2 hole, how about that, Tony LaRusa putting the pitcher in the 8 hole and Holliday in the 2 hole, how about that.

47. Swungonandbelted on June 15th, 2010 6:55 pm

Toss Kelley another ‘tater, because that sucker is gone!!!!!

48. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 7:02 pm

With “Paperboys” like Josh, it’s no wonder the P-I is web-only these days…

Also, I heard some guy who does sports radio in St. Louis yesterday being interviewed on the radio here and mentioning he didn’t think Pujols was doing too hot so far this year.

Ah, yes…it must be nice to cover a good team.

49. nvn8vbryce on June 15th, 2010 7:19 pm

Gosh, I don’t know what’s deadder: a steak in front of a large dog or this game thread

50. IwearMsHats on June 15th, 2010 7:32 pm

Yet another awful game by the M’s…I don’t remember it being this bad in 2008.

51. gloo on June 15th, 2010 7:33 pm

Would a live steak look similar to the money you can save with Geico?

I pictured a slab of steak with googly eyes filled with fear.

52. r-gordon-7 on June 15th, 2010 7:46 pm

Yeah, it’s feeling a lot like the 1980′s all over again… back when we heard the team called “The Hapless Mariners” almost more often than “the Seattle Mariners”… Can hardly wait until August… :-(

53. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, it’s feeling a lot like the 1980’s all over again

And tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 1989!

…Ahh, not.

54. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 8:02 pm

Strangely enough, I think that might be the first HR allowed by Ryan Franklin so far this year…

Remember that year he allowed, like, a zillion home runs — and the M’s still won a few games that he started?

Yeah…2003. Good times.

55. ndrfx on June 15th, 2010 8:07 pm

Wait…did that guy with greasy hair just say Carp should hit behind Bradley instead of Wilson so Bradley gets walked less? Er.

56. TomTuttle on June 15th, 2010 8:09 pm

Hey Chuck and Howie,

Why don’t you just GIVE UP AND LEAVE ALREADY?

Because a REAL ownership group wouldn’t put up with this SHIT.

57. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 8:11 pm

Thank you, Tom. My sentiments exactly!

58. scott19 on June 15th, 2010 8:15 pm

More absolutely brilliant post-game analysis from Count Krueger, I presume.

59. kenshabby on June 15th, 2010 8:34 pm

Go Rays!

60. nvn8vbryce on June 15th, 2010 9:46 pm

Tom, I think they must think that the Seattle Mariners = MLB 2K9 on the Wii.

61. jrosco3 on June 15th, 2010 10:03 pm

So Figg-i goes 0-5, Kotch-i goes 0-4, but on the “bright” side, Lop-i goes 2-4 — course, he didn’t get any RBI’s …

62. MrZDevotee on June 16th, 2010 7:33 am

Derek (DMZ)-
    Isn’t that cool, Carp has almost EXACTLY the same line as Adrian Gonzalez’s six years in the minors:

Six Years of Adrian Gonzalez

Of course, Carp has more HR’s and RBI’s, in about 100 more AB’s…

Looks like we’ve got ourselves an All-Star 1B! Sweet… (Or maybe a straight up trade…?)

63. MrZDevotee on June 16th, 2010 7:40 am

Oops… More HR’s, fewer RBI’s. But it’s close.

64. LongDistance on June 16th, 2010 9:43 am

It’s almost getting suspicious. Someone should do some soil samples on the field… Maybe they’re being slowly poisoned by field crew hit men.

Or… the fix is in. They know it’s over, and are all taking a dive to position for the off.

nah… they wouldn’t do that, would they?

65. bongo on June 16th, 2010 9:51 am

Just checked the statistics on Mariner bullpen. Their performance is so bad that it’s hard not to conclude that they deserve a good portion of the blame for this wasted season. Looking at Colome, Aardsma, Snell, RRS, and Sean White, put together they have given up 123 runs in 155 2/3 innings. The numbers are so bad, I had to double check the math. If these players had performed at replacement level, we wouldn’t have the second worst record in the AL. The good news is that the bullpen performance is so bad that it’s pretty easy to improve upon.