A Tribute To Dave

Dave · November 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Pretty cool idea by ESPN 710.

710 ESPN Seattle and News Talk 97.3 KIRO FM, the radio home of the Mariners, will broadcast game 5 of the 1995 American League Division Series in tribute to the Hall of Fame broadcaster Dave Niehaus Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 12noon.

“My Oh My – A Tribute to Dave Niehaus” recognizes him as one of the best and most exciting broadcasters in the game. This commercial free replay of a fan favorite game as the Seattle Mariners defeated the New York Yankees in an amazing divisional comeback will include memories and comments from former players and broadcasters including Ken Griffey Jr., Jay Buhner, Rick Rizzs, Harold Reynolds, Ron Fairly and more.

“Dave’s play-by-play speaks for itself, and stands the test of time,” said Carl Gardner, Bonneville Seattle Media Group Vice President and Market Manager. “We can think of no greater tribute to the man than to re-broadcast his master work – the greatest game of his exceptional career.”

Dave Niehaus, the voice of the Seattle Mariners since the team’s inception in 1977, passed away Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at the age of 75. For more information on the passing of Dave Niehaus and to hear an audio montage of his greatest calls, visit www.MyNorthwest.com.

Comments

53 Responses to “A Tribute To Dave”

1. imiz11 on November 11th, 2010 2:26 pm

What a great tribute..

Hope you are doing well up there Dave..

We MUST build a statue outside of safeco.. ASAP

2. Chris_From_Bothell on November 11th, 2010 2:47 pm

For once, I don’t mind 1995 nostalgia. This is cool.

3. DougMorgan on November 11th, 2010 2:55 pm

When you think of it, with the death earlier this year of Bob Blackburn, Dave was the last of the originai major league play by play roadcasters left in Seattle. As great as Ernie Harwell was with the Tigers, I remember Van Patrick and Harry Heilman in the booth. Before Dave, Bob and the late Pete Gross, there was no one.

4. EthanN on November 11th, 2010 2:59 pm

I tried playing Ken Griffey Jr. Slugfest this morning. It was just too haunting hearing his voice, knowing I would never hear it call a game ever again.

5. Westside guy on November 11th, 2010 3:12 pm

For once, I don’t mind 1995 nostalgia. This is cool.

^^^^
    Agreed.

6. dlukas on November 11th, 2010 3:48 pm

I may need to go drive somewhere so I can listed to that broadcast alone, cause I am for sure going to cry.

7. Breadbaker on November 11th, 2010 4:29 pm

That’s one of those “I can remember every detail of the day” days, where I was, when I stopped watching the national broadcast and turned on the radio, everything.

Great move, ESPN710 or whatever you’re called these days.

8. awestby51 on November 11th, 2010 4:51 pm

Nothing to be ashamed of brother. Kleenex should share the revenue with 710 to offset the lack of advertising. Mark me down for a couple boxes.

9. mironos on November 11th, 2010 4:56 pm

We MUST build a statue outside of safeco.. ASAP

Absolutely. M’s should make sure it’s in place for the start of the 2011 season.

10. GarForever on November 11th, 2010 5:14 pm
    For once, I don’t mind 1995 nostalgia. This is cool.

^^^^

Agreed.

Hear hear!

11. josh_h on November 11th, 2010 5:59 pm

Edgar got a street.

Dave Niehaus Field has a nice ring to it. There is not a more deserving individual to name a ballpark after (or anything sports related) in Seattle.

Of course… naming rights, $$$ – this is obviously just a dream, unfortunately.

12. henryv on November 11th, 2010 6:02 pm

“Safeco Field at Dave Neihaus Stadium” sounds right.

Something that I would think would be fitting is for FSN to run the first inning of the opening day game with no commentary or play-by-play.

“An inning of silence” because a moment simply isn’t long enough.

13. geofftoons on November 11th, 2010 7:43 pm

Actually, I started a Facebook page to rename 1st ave. South between Royal Brougham and Edgar Martinez Blvd. after Dave.

Here’s the page here…

Dave Niehaus Ave. Facebook pagea></
    I swear, I feel like I’ve lost my grandpa or something. I didn’t think I was going to take this as hard as I have, I never even met Dave, I can only imagine how hard it is for those that knew him.

14. smb on November 12th, 2010 12:35 am

I had the pleasure on many occasions over a few year span and I can assure you that whatever you think of him not having met him in person, he would only have reinforced or surpassed your expectations had you so much as ridden the elevator with him once. For once I think Rizzs actually put it best… “Dave Niehaus was the Mariners, as far as I’m concerned.”

15. stevenboise on November 12th, 2010 1:46 am

Any one have any idea how one might convince KIRO to release a mp3 disc of that entire game? I’m in Boise and won’t be able to hear it or tape it. Well, unless KIRO has an internet feed….I’ll have to check on that. None-the-less, I would love to have a copy of that game from the radio. I hope they do the post game clubhouse interviews too. Wow, what a treat for you in Seattle!

16. Luke on November 12th, 2010 5:43 am

Got the news yesterday here in Beijing and am still quite sad about Dave’s death.

I’m 100% behind the “Safeco Field at Dave Niehaus Stadium” suggestion. A statue is the least they could do.

Who was the announcer who sat in for Dave when he was being inducted into the Hall? He was great to listen to, and I think they said he had formerly been part of the M’s broadcasting team? Anyway, I’d love it if they brought him back.

17. sgreen13 on November 12th, 2010 7:33 am

I remember being a 13 year old kid in 1995 and listening to Dave every afternoon. I remember the ball getting stuck under the bullpen as everyone rounded the bases to give them Mariners the AL West division in the playoff with the Angels. But for me, the moment that I will always love Dave for was in Game 2 of the ALDS against the Yankees and those extra innings. I had to be in bed before the game ended so I wasnt going to see the last few outs… I went to my bedroom and turned on the radio very quietly and listened. It was like that kid sneaking cookies, or candy. I was sneaking the M’s. I remember his calls, the last out of that game, and his concern/hope that it would all be ok. I remmeber hating the Yankees for ruining our season, only to have it all come back and be amazing over the next 3 games. He made it come alive…

He brought so many memories to life. For 20 years I remember him in my summers. Like a sunny day I took for granted his voice being a background to my childhood, and now in my adult life I look back and long for just one more season, just one more victory for Dave. Even if FSN/710 try to have an announcer that first inning (maybe the first game for me) will be muted so that I can bring his voice from my memories and honor a truely great man who loved and honored his craft. It will never be the same without Dave. I hope that when the M’s do finally win it all that they will have a ring made for Dave and given to his family. Without him they may never have been.

I see those photos of his grandchildren and think of how much he lit up when talking to them. My condolences to his family, and friends. Our prayers are with you all.

18. bongo on November 12th, 2010 9:17 am

The Mariners have announced an open house at Safeco on Saturday noon to 3 PM, in Dave’s memory:

19. Chris_From_Bothell on November 12th, 2010 9:21 am

XM Radio will be replaying their interview with Dave Niehaus a couple times this weekend. And MLB network will be replaying Game 5 of the ALDS this weekend as well.

I’m torn about going to the open house… I don’t think my 6-yr-old son will understand that we’re not there to run the bases or do fanfest kinds of things… but on the other hand, I’m compelled to go… on the other other hand, that’s going to be a bit of a mob scene, I expect, and a lot of crying goin on…

Do we know if any of the Ms family will be on hand? Other broadcasters, etc.? It’d be good to pass on condolences to them too, in addition to Dave’s family.

20. Carson on November 12th, 2010 12:06 pm

CFB, it sounds like it’s going to be a totally informal thing. Walk in, sign a book, stare around and then leave.

They say a more formal event is coming, but they don’t say when. I’d expect that means an opening day tribute or bobblehead night or something.

21. ZVAZDA on November 12th, 2010 6:02 pm

I can’t decide whether to listen to the game or go to the open house… Do we think they’ll be playing the game at the stadium?

22. henryv on November 12th, 2010 6:19 pm

I probably won’t be showing up on Saturday, but I will be there when they have the memorial service, for sure.

23. RRS for Prez on November 12th, 2010 8:28 pm

I absolutely LOVE the inning of silence idea!!!

24. Mariners2620 on November 12th, 2010 10:03 pm

This does not pertain to Neihaus, although I am deeply saddened by the loss. This has to do with the Mariners up coming off season. Things they should have done, and thing I would like for them to do. First of all, WHY DIDN’T WE PICK UP EDWIN ENCARNACION!????? ok, so I am obviously a bit frustrated. Is there something I do not know. I understand he is by no means a phenomenal hitter, but he produces a hell of a lot more then 90% of our roster.

I understand that this year will come with a HUGE youth movement (most likely), but I also feel as if Dave (Cameron), did not come up with an accurate prediction for the 2011 roster. With the roster that was put together, any kind of surprise would be great haha. As for things that I would like to see this off season (some realistic and some not), here they are:

Give the Royals a serious call about Greinke (relatively unrealistic seeing as how our prospect situation is not that great)
    2. Give the Marlins a call about Ricky Nolasco (Not that unrealistic)
    3. Give the Chi Sox a call about Carlos Quentin (probably out of reach, due to lack of prospects to offer, but could possibly come to fruition)
    4. Give the Rays a call about Jason Bartlett and Ben Zobrist (Bartlett was an atrocious defender last year and quite honestly, has not been that great throughout his career. I believe he posted a -10 plus some change UZR. He does give his team quality at bats for the most part) (As for Zobrist, he is still pretty young, is a switch hitter and walks a TON. Plus he brings a little pop with him.)
    5. Look into Victor Martinez, do not throw tons of cash to him, but talk to either he or his agent. Just get a feel for what he wants. (Mine as well, we can offer him everything he wants except for a contending team haha)

That is pretty much all I would like to see, when it comes to acquisitions. Obviously, we cannot afford to follow through with every one of my dreams, albeit money or prospects, but one or possibly two would be phenomenal. Can’t wait to see what Jack Z is going to do with this AAAA team.

25. qwerty on November 13th, 2010 7:58 am

What is THAT I just read? How’d that get by the screeners?

26. eadlew on November 13th, 2010 9:44 am

This is wonderful idea, although I wish they used game 4. Game 4 and 5 are among the most the important moments of my life because my wife went into labor during game 5 with my daughter. Dave Niehaus and his voice are central to our life and family. Although I now live in England, I still listen occasionally to my recording of Game 4 because Edgar’s homerun and my daughter are intrinsically linked.

27. Matt the Dragon on November 13th, 2010 11:35 am

You forgot 6: Trade a bag of balls for Albert Pujols.

28. King.Dome on November 13th, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow, listening to this game is amazing. I was at the game, so I never heard the call. If next season starts sucking again, maybe they can just play old games with Dave on the call. Thanks KIRO for replaying this. Go Ms!

29. 3cardmonty on November 13th, 2010 12:23 pm

Loving this.

30. Westside guy on November 13th, 2010 1:19 pm

Mariners2620, there are several recent threads that would be more appropriate places for your comment. They’re right on the USSMariner front page – it’s not difficult to locate them. You just have to take a few seconds and look past the top article.

31. robbbbbb on November 13th, 2010 1:25 pm

The difference between Dave’s voice in the 2010 season and the ’95 ALDS is substantial. His voice got deeper and more mellow as the game went on. I love this call, but this isn’t the same Niehaus I remember. It’s subtly different.

It’s Dave at the height of his powers. I can smell the Astroturf.

32. analogkid on November 13th, 2010 2:10 pm

Dang; I was sort of hoping for a retro game thread. My 14 year old son and I are listening. He’s lovin’ it!

33. Fritz on November 13th, 2010 2:50 pm

I don’t care if it has been done. I don’t care what else they have in mind. Next season’s tag line should be “My Oh My”.

34. 3cardmonty on November 13th, 2010 2:54 pm

So epic.

35. BLYKMYK44 on November 13th, 2010 2:55 pm

I was kind of hoping for a retro game thread as well. Like the poster above I was at the game and don’t think I’ve ever heard the entire game.

The biggest thing I remember about that game was after the game when everyone was cheering the entire crowd turned and looked to Dave. This is the only baseball team I’ve ever followed, so I don’t know if caring for your announcer is so normal…but I always got a kick out of that happening.

36. Fritz on November 13th, 2010 3:21 pm

Crap, the Yankees took the lead…

37. Fritz on November 13th, 2010 3:31 pm

ED-GAR… ED-GAR… ED-GAR…

38. BLYKMYK44 on November 13th, 2010 3:35 pm

damn…im gonna miss that guy…

39. 300ZXNA on November 13th, 2010 3:39 pm

Man. What a great broadcast. The way they segued into the HOF speech after “The Double” got me. Crying now.

40. 3cardmonty on November 13th, 2010 3:39 pm

They should replay every game from the last six weeks of ’95.

41. ManageWA on November 13th, 2010 3:47 pm

man, let the tears flow. That was amazing to listen to.

42. littlesongs on November 13th, 2010 3:56 pm

It is strange to have a heavy heart listening to a voice that has always brought me joy.

43. King.Dome on November 13th, 2010 5:44 pm

I totally forgot that Benes walked 6, that Cone struck out 9, and that Dion James was their left fielder.

44. Mariners2620 on November 14th, 2010 8:11 am

Westside guy,

I had no clue. There are other threads on this site????? Are you serious? I am not trying to be a sarcastic a-hole, but I was rubbed in the wrong way when I read your comment to me. I am not trying to disrespect Dave by commenting on this particular thread. I understand how much he meant to this city, and is is not to be taken lightly. This is an extremely important subject and historical date for the Mariners community. At the same time, you need to relax. It did not harm anyone, that I placed a comment referring to a few moves in which I would like the Mariners to look into. I acknowledged Dave and his passing before I ranted about this off season. Please relax.

45. gwangung on November 14th, 2010 3:38 pm

I had no clue.

I’m glad you admit it.

Generally, the hosts prefer that threads stay on topic. Regular denizens know that. New folks should not mind being corrected.

46. qwerty on November 14th, 2010 6:53 pm

Is it too early to recommend John Miller as Neihaus’s replacement?

47. Axtell on November 15th, 2010 12:35 am

Great tribute, was amazing to listen to.

And mariners2620, there are plenty of other threads to rant about offseason moves, you should have placed them there. Please show more respect in the future.

48. Carson on November 15th, 2010 8:28 am

Is it too early to recommend John Miller as Neihaus’s replacement?

As far as I know, he was only dropped from ESPN. He’s still the PBP guy for the Giants.

49. SeasonTix on November 15th, 2010 12:27 pm

I was channel surfing on the radio on Saturday and came across the rebroadcast of Game 5 of the Yankees series by accident.

It was especially cool for me because I had never heard the broadcast before since I was actually at the game in person.

Greatest baseball game I ever saw!

And it was really cool to hear Dave’s description of it on the radio.

His loss will really sink in when the M’s season starts next Spring and we won’t have Dave’s comforting voice to share it with us.

50. JE on November 15th, 2010 2:17 pm

I have lived over half my life listening to the Mariniers every year. I think that alot of times that we just take people and things for granted. I for one would also line to see the park renamed. I don’t think that anyone would argrue against it. It is too bad, although I believe that the passed can see what is happening, that we did not do it sooner when Dave would have been around to describe it to us. I bet it would have been the biggest “MY OH MY” ever. I cannot even imagine how proud he would have been about naming the park after him. You can see the vast amount of joy in his face on the video of him throwing out the first pitch at Safeco.

You don’t treasure what you have until it is gone.

51. Mariners2620 on November 15th, 2010 4:27 pm

gwangung,

I am not new to this site. There have been numerous, and I mean numerous occasions, in which I have run into a comment section (on this very site) with comments not pertaining to the thread itself. I am not trying to make this out to be such a huge deal, but I will abide by the encouraged “rules”. It is for this very reason, that I take my comments to sodomojo. They are not well known, but do a fine job, and are not as uptight as certain people. I have been on this site for 2 years.

52. Mariners2620 on November 15th, 2010 4:32 pm

Dave’s loss is nothing to take lightly, but you guys are absurd. I have been mourning myself, but it is a Mariners Blog! There is absolutely no need to harp on me for placing a comment in this particular section. I happen to always place whatever is on my mind, in the most recent thread. There is no point in placing it else where, seeing as how no one replies to a comment that is two weeks old. I hope to find one day, a blog that simply provides entertaining and up to date stories (which this one most certainly does), but at the same time answers questions. Even if that section has to be organized in a different area within the site.

53. gwangung on November 15th, 2010 5:24 pm

I am not new to this site

The guidelines are not difficult to follow.

More to hand…I like a media suggestion: assign a jersey number to Niehaus. Then retire it. Make Niehaus the first member of the Mariners Hall of Fame.