Game 18, Tigers At Mariners

Dave · April 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Fister vs Coke, 7:10 pm.

We’ve said from day one that this season wouldn’t be about wins and losses, but about how the players that are actually important to the future develop. Chris Ray blowing a game in the 8th inning is, in the grand scheme of things, not all that relevant to this organization’s future. He won’t be here much longer anyway.

However, one guy who will be here for a while is Justin Smoak. After hitting another home run (to left field, at Safeco, in April) last night, he’s now up to .291/.403/.491 on the season. Most importantly, he’s cut the strikeouts down significantly from where they were last year, and has demonstrated the kind of approach at the plate that made him a top prospect to begin with. While we can nitpick about the fact that he only has two home runs, seven of his 16 hits have gone for extra bases, and he’s hit a bunch of balls on the screws.

It’s still early, but Smoak is looking like the player the M’s hoped they were getting last summer – a switch-hitter with power and patience who can hold his own in the middle of the batting order. The M’s might have lost last night, but with every good at-bat from Justin Smoak, they’re winning the long term war.

Comments

222 Responses to “Game 18, Tigers At Mariners”

1. Nate on April 19th, 2011 2:52 pm

As has been stated(Jeff talked about it too), I think this will be what the season is about. It’s kind of exciting to see what Smoak and Pineda might be shaping into. A little more of that from Saunders, and of course if Ackley can continue to improve as he climbs the ladder…

As much fun as it is to watch Cust take another BB, I’m glad to see some of the young’uns play well.

2. dnc on April 19th, 2011 2:55 pm

Great point Dave (and Nate). I keep wanting to get excited about Nick Franklin’s hot streak as well, but it’s all come in Adelanto so it’s hard to take anything from it.

I hate High Desert.

3. Borat4President on April 19th, 2011 2:57 pm

And Smoak is rewarded with a night on the bench, behind Gimenez!

4. Alec on April 19th, 2011 3:09 pm

Larry Stone reported that Smoak is likely headed to the bereavement list.

5. Thingray on April 19th, 2011 3:12 pm

Where did you see that? I can’t find it on his blog.

6. swoopy on April 19th, 2011 3:12 pm

Aren’t the High Desert concerns more valid when it is 95-degrees down there, not 70? Just curious.

7. robbbbbb on April 19th, 2011 3:15 pm

Eek. Sorry to hear that about Smoak. That’s bad news.

Every time I see Justin put a ball in play he seems to be hitting it right on the screws. His contact rates are up, too. At the beginning of the season I thought that the five most important development pieces were (in order of importance):

Ackley
    Smoak
    Pineda
    Saunders
    Moore

That’s two that are playing well in the majors and two that aren’t, plus one who’s still in the minors until mid-season. And it’s two of the three most important guys who are doing well.

8. Alec on April 19th, 2011 3:32 pm

It was reported via Twitter.

9. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 3:37 pm

Fister. Haha.

10. Dutch on April 19th, 2011 3:43 pm

Didn’t Lueke blow this one? Isn’t he part of the future too?

11. Alec on April 19th, 2011 3:44 pm

Relievers are much more replaceable than quality first basemen.

12. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah, the team is still trying to replace Bobby Ayala.

13. greski4job on April 19th, 2011 3:52 pm

according to kirby arnold, C.Peguero is at Safeco. Related to Smoak not in lineup?

14. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 4:03 pm

Yep, Smoak is officially going on the bereavement list (multiple sources reporting). Bummer. There goes his momentum– and a hard blow to his psyche, possibly.

It was also nice to see Vargas bounce back last night to pitching well again– despite the bullpen.

15. mkd on April 19th, 2011 4:11 pm

I hope Smoak is doing OK. He’s the best thing going on this team offensively and I’d like that to continue please.

16. Dave Spiwak on April 19th, 2011 4:18 pm

What is Smoak bereaving? The demise of another M’s season. M’s now proud owner’s of the worst record in MLB.

17. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 4:31 pm

Splwak-
    You say that so casually, but it’s NOT EASY losing in all the different ways we’ve lost so far this season. They deserve respect for that, alone. (Vargas was certainly impressed last night.)

18. joser on April 19th, 2011 4:36 pm

Smoak has had a death in the family apparently; some things are a little more important than a baseball team’s record. I haven’t seen anything more than that, and it doesn’t really matter, but if it was a lingering illness kind of thing that has been weighing on him, his “momentum” (if that’s even meaningful) might actually be better after he gets back. Who knows. Sometimes baseball is a solace, sometimes it’s just another source of misery.

19. Dave Spiwak on April 19th, 2011 4:41 pm

I’m just worried the M’s will bring up Tui and Dave C. will blow a gasket!

20. joser on April 19th, 2011 4:50 pm

Dave won’t blow a gasket over Tui: a couple-day call up isn’t worth that kind of steam. But if it is indeed Peguero — and we actually get to see him play a bit — that could be pretty interesting.

21. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 4:52 pm

Smoak apparently is about to lose his father.

I’ve been there, although I was in my 30s rather than my 20s. I really feel for the guy.

22. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 4:53 pm

Kennedy and Giminez will platoon at first, according to Stone. So no Tui.

23. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 4:56 pm

And to be more accurate – Stone only reports that Smoak’s father is ill. But since he’s going on the bereavement list, what I posted wasn’t too big a stretch.

24. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 4:59 pm

Man, Saunders in center with Milton in left AGAIN. I have been rather disappointed in how conventionally thinking Wedge has been with regard to his lineups.

25. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 5:01 pm

Westside – Would you rather want Langerhans in center and Saunders in left? What Wedge did today actually makes sense. It’ too early in the season (even though we all want it) to take Cust out of the DH role and Milton is swinging a hot bat right now so you need to keep him in the lineup. Bradley > Langerhans.

26. Dave Spiwak on April 19th, 2011 5:03 pm

M’s site says Peguero is the call up. Maybe he will hit a little and we can dump Warning Track Jack.

27. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 5:05 pm

Now if you want to talk about the batting order, then yes, Wedge screwed that up tonight.

28. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 5:19 pm

Hammy – I want Bradley to DH more often. If this year is really about seeing what we’ve got in our “kids”, Saunders should be playing more. We know what we’ve got in Langerhans (and he’s got three home runs, but come on he’s only got four hits total!), and Bradley is not part of our future.

Just my opinion. :-)

29. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 5:27 pm

Joser-
    Some things are definitely more important than baseball (hope my post didn’t come off sounding like I didn’t care– that was my point about his psyche). As someone who lost my father when I was 18, and then my mom and step father (car wreck) and sister (cancer) in a matter of two months in my 30′s, I would never want to sleight someone the importance of family.

I was just feeling bad for him, as he was doing so well, and now has to walk away to deal with real life struggles, that are incredibly final (assuming).

He’s a good kid (seemingly) and I want to see him succeed, and not have to go through tragedy and start over again when he gets back.

In that light, I wish him the best.

And you make a good point, often having a focused distraction– especially something you enjoy– can be an oasis away from the heavy emotions (re: Brett Favre’s record Monday Night performance the day after his father died- 4 TD’s, 399 yards, 73% completions, 154.9 QB rating). You never know how that stuff will translate to the field.

Time will tell, with Justin.

30. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 5:32 pm

Hammy-
    Yeah, but cut the guy some slack it’s not easy trying to figure out how to fill an entire batting order with a lead off guy, and then eight #6-#9 hitters (Bradley might be a #5… And Smoak is out).

I actually find it more relaxing when the game post DOESN’T list the lineup– they always seem to look like one of those M.C. Escher endless paintings, where my mind gets caught in a loop thinking “Wait, that can’t be right… where’s the #4 guy, and the #3 guy… Wait… Huh? (scratching head)… Oh, I get it… It’s not a real lineup… That’s tricky!”

31. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 5:34 pm

Fister vs Coke

Great, all we need is more off the field drama… Schick Shadel strikes again!

32. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 5:39 pm

re: M.C. Escher

Makes me want to make a spoof of his endless staircase, only by making it Safeco Field and the basepath never leads to home, it just goes around the field, around home plate, and back into the dugout. It’s impossible to get to home plate from the basepath.

33. spankystout on April 19th, 2011 5:42 pm

I can’t wait to see Peguero in CF. ;)

34. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 6:05 pm

According to Shannon:

Peguero has been primarily a centerfielder but here he will play left and dh.

35. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 6:18 pm

Maybe he will hit a little and we can dump Warning Track Jack.

For Cust to earn a nickname like that he has to get the ball OUT of the infield.

36. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 6:54 pm

What is the “batters eye” that Peguero hit a ball over in BP when he was with Tacoma?

Wilson and Gimenez look like twin elves.

37. EricL on April 19th, 2011 7:04 pm

I don’t know the exact dimensions (I’m sure someone will correct me) and I don’t know if it changed after the remodel, but the center field fence at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma used to be approximately 25 feet high, and about 410 feet away. It doubled as the batter’s background (instead of the background being behind the fence as in most stadiums.)

It is VERY hard to hit a ball over that.

38. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:06 pm

I thought they were talking about when the Rainiers took battting practice at Safeco, and Peguero hit a ball over the batter’s eye in Safeco.

But I didn’t see them actually show the place he hit it on TV.

39. EricL on April 19th, 2011 7:10 pm

I underestimated. (A bit of research always helps when spouting off random figures…) The batters’ eye/CF fence at Cheney is actually 29 feet high and 425 feet away.

I suspect it’s rather easier to hit a BP fastball over the batters’ eye at Safeco than to clear the Cheney CF fence during a game.

40. spankystout on April 19th, 2011 7:10 pm

Peguero hit a bomb over the Safeco batters eye when he was with Tacoma, during some BP session. Gimenez bears witness to this monster blast.

41. Andrew34 on April 19th, 2011 7:11 pm

No, I believe they were saying he hit the ball over the SAFECO batters eye, which isn’t just hard to do, it’s most likely never been done before. If someone can do that, then they have some power. He was with Tacoma at the time, they had an open BP if I heard right. At my estimates (within 50 feet or so :) )it was probably close to 480 or maybe 500 feet. Possibly even more. And btw the batter’s eye is the big black wall in center to put that into context.

42. spankystout on April 19th, 2011 7:11 pm

Oops late post….Go Fister!

43. dingla on April 19th, 2011 7:12 pm

Carlos Peguerooo!

44. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks!

45. spankystout on April 19th, 2011 7:13 pm

For what its worth: I have never seen anyone even hit the batters eye during a game, or BP.

46. dingla on April 19th, 2011 7:17 pm

This got me thinking about the what ifs of Kingdome homers had they been hit in Safeco field. Reportedly, Mark McGwire’s homer off Randy Johnson, which hit the upper most left field wall in the Kingdome, would have sailed (assuming it didnt hit the flag poles or roof support and wheel structure) out of the stadium and potentially off the Exhibition Center :)

47. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:17 pm

Fister strikes out the first two hitters in the game.

Swine take wing.

48. texasmarinerfan on April 19th, 2011 7:18 pm

I agree that we shook support Smoke in this tough time for him, we can hope and pray that he will have a night like the one Brett Farve had after his father died.

However, I still think Cust will come through, and Milton is swinging a hot bat now.

It will be interesting to see how we fair against a pitcher who is in the middle of a scoreless inning streak.

49. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:26 pm

bases loaded.

We don’t have any other hitters in the lineup, do we?

50. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh, wait, Saunders is in there somewhere.

51. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 7:27 pm

Here comes the triple play. Or 3 strikeouts in a row. However you want to call it with the M’s.

52. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:27 pm

I sense we’ll immediately miss Smoak’s bat here.

The good news is Cust’s over-patience for once could get an RBI.

53. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 7:28 pm

However, I still think Cust will come through

You are quite possibly the most optimistic human being … ever!

54. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:28 pm

Cust does the thing he does best.

55. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 7:28 pm

A Cust walk actually was beneficial!

56. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:29 pm

You know Miguel is going to

Well I didn’t even get to finish the god damn sentence. But, hey, why tae a pitch or two when a guy can’t find the strike zone, right Miguel?

57. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 7:29 pm

We scored a run without getting a hit. Only the Mariners. Yikes.

58. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:29 pm

Tiger’s pitcher is completely flustered, no outs, 2 walks and an error, and the worst two guys in the lineup coming up…

Well, at least Cust can stand there and look big. One run at least.

Olivo, don’t freaking let the pitcher off the hook.

59. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 7:29 pm

Terrible at bat by Olivo. Man, he is stinking up the joint. He gave an another out away.

60. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:30 pm

Man, Olivo is dumb/worthless.

61. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:31 pm

I know these things don’t make a huge difference, but batting Brendan Ryan ahead of Saunders is pretty inexcusable.

62. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:31 pm

I was thinking that Ryan should have bunted, then he hit a bouncer that was just like a bunt.

63. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 7:32 pm

Probably a “handedness” issue … and then there is always the 4K game that Saunders had the other day (Saturday?) as another possibility.

64. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:35 pm

Probably a “handedness” issue … and then there is always the 4K game from Sunday as another possibility.

Oh yeah, because Ryan and Wilson mash lefties.

65. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:36 pm

batting Brendan Ryan ahead of Saunders is pretty inexcusable.

So how do you feel about Wilson and Gimenez?

Hey, Gimenez got a hit!

66. Hammy57 on April 19th, 2011 7:36 pm

That is why they are hitting ahead of Saunders. Apparently.

67. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:37 pm

Things went seriously down in hill in the catcher’s department after Kenji left. I mean, Kenji had good D, a great arm, and some pop in the bat.

He’s looking like an All Star now, compared to the dross we’ve had since then.
    We’ve had the pleasure of enduring RoJo who had a feeble bat and couldn’t even catch the ball (but had smooth “appealing to the brass” skills), and now Mr. Olivo who looks like one of the most clueless batters I’ve ever seen.

68. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:38 pm

Come on Saunders, I need a rousing use of confirmation bias.

69. SodoMojo on April 19th, 2011 7:39 pm

Look how badly he missed his target on that last pitch… Luckily for him it was down and in which Saunders looks like a 3rd grader swinging at.

70. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:40 pm

Sorry, I can’t even post right. That’s “downhill” not “down in hill”. Jeez.

And yeah Gimenez!

71. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 7:42 pm

Coming in late… so let’s see, the Tigers’ pitcher can’t throw strikes, our first four guys walk (ok Bradley hit a dribbler), then Olivo channels his inner J-Lo per usual and swings like he’s wringing in the new year.

And I saw it coming as soon as I saw Olivo on deck. :-(

72. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:43 pm

A 4 run first inning for the Mariners?
    Seems like an awfully unusual phenomenon.

Hope Fister pitches well with such a rare cushion.

73. texasmarinerfan on April 19th, 2011 7:44 pm

A hit with RISP, amazing it felt so strange

74. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:45 pm

And I saw it coming as soon as I saw Olivo on deck. :-(

Yes, makes one wish there was some sort of injection you could give these guys to make the stupidness go away.
    I mean they’re supposed to be professional ballplayers for gosh sakes.

75. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:46 pm

Yikes, looks like Fister doesn’t know what to do with this strange lead, and he seems determined to try to give it away.

76. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:46 pm

That underhand flip by Wilson almost was late.

But hey, double play!

77. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:47 pm

We needed that!

78. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 7:48 pm

Wilson!

79. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 7:50 pm

I love Ichiro, but I’m beginning to think he’s lost a step.

80. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 7:51 pm

Geesh-
    Go to dinner, ’cause we never start playing till the 7th or 8th, and suddenly we’re up 4 runs? Check that… 3 runs?

If I could afford it, I’d go out to dinner more often. (We tend to have really great innings when the other team hands us runs on a platter– wish it happened more often.)

81. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:52 pm

Ichiro!

82. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:52 pm

Please Mr. Coke, we’d like to sample one more round of what we had in the first, please.

83. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 7:52 pm

I retract my statement.

84. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:53 pm

And Ichiro starts it off with no help from Coke!

85. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:54 pm

Saw Ichiro’s hit coming, the pitcher was like one step too late coming off the mound.

86. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 7:55 pm

So, has it ever crossed ANYONE’s mind in the organization to sacrifice with Figgins when Ichiro is on base? The odds of doing something useful would go way up.

87. Carson on April 19th, 2011 7:56 pm

Safeco taketh.

88. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 7:56 pm

Man, I thought Bradley’s hit was going to be off the wall.

That was a Safeco out.

89. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 7:57 pm

Ah, April in Safeco… Air so thick you can shape it in your hands… (Thought that was gone when he hit it, or off the scoreboard)

90. samregens on April 19th, 2011 7:58 pm

A lot of people don’t like the bunt (because the WPA goes down yadayada), but we’re not talking about averages, we’re talking about Figgins.

I agree completely. And I also would like to see Luis Rodriguez in the 2-hole instead of Figgins.

91. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 8:02 pm

In the first inning, if Figgins had bunted, the Mariners would almost certainly have scored less than 4 runs.

Just sayin’.

92. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 8:07 pm

Ichiro!

Cannot say that enough.

Nice catch.

93. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 8:07 pm

Sam-
    Yeah, I know the downside of bunts too– and giving up outs, interesting read on that somewhere linked last year– but at some point, if we’re gonna give up an out anyways, I’ll take putting Ichiro on 2nd… Or better still, at least let Ichiro try to steal a base before swinging away, so a flyball or grounder to the right side puts him on 3rd.

I said the same thing about either L-Rod or Kennedy batting 2nd… They’re more traditional #2 hitters, utilitarian hitters– put the ball in play, hit behind the runner, bunt late in close games– the REAL small ball stuff.

Instead, we have a #2 guy who’s more of a “marquee” player (if only in his own mind) who views his role as the same as a leadoff hitter. And believes he has the same talents as our leadoff guy.

Figgins is more like a PERFECT #9 guy to me. That’s where a “second leadoff guy” becomes a bonus. With Ichiro moving him around. Can you imagine drag bunts from Ichiro with Figgins put in motion driving the infield NUTS?

But, we can’t insult Figgins, can we, in a rebuilding year where it doesn’t even matter if he’s PLAYING WELL.

94. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:08 pm

I’m beginning to think Ichiro must’ve read USSM between innings or something and decided to make me look bad.

GO ICHIRO!!

95. samregens on April 19th, 2011 8:09 pm

That’s true but on the other hand that seems like a mighty unusual occurrence (for the M’s) to bank on, when we also have Figgin’s making a lot of unproductive outs.

But that is just my impression on watching Figgy ply his craft, and we probably have to look more closely at his data.

Another context to be taken into account is that the M’s starting pitching has been pretty solid and getting a lead in the early innings would seem important. Rather than what they’ve usually been doing.

96. Paul B on April 19th, 2011 8:10 pm

Olivo’s ball was more of a line drive than Bradley’s, and the fielder didn’t have time to get back.

97. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 8:11 pm

Paul-
    Agreed, and first inning is a hard spot to bunt, and probably wouldn’t do it.

BUT then again- we’re not talking about a team where 4 runs is a common occurrence (or even a remote possibility). And, kind of hard to assume a walk.

It’s a way to try to get SOME sort of production out of your #2 hitter who’s a struggling “star”.

98. samregens on April 19th, 2011 8:11 pm

Man, the following is expressed so well:

we have a #2 guy who’s more of a “marquee” player (if only in his own mind)

99. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 8:11 pm

So nice to wake from a nap on the couch to a lead. Although I somehow knew it. I could hear the vaguely happy crowd sounds through the either.

Woke to Rizz saying his grandson is in Little League. Shuddered at the thought of him coming to games and that ‘hey-hey’ sort of chatter booming around the field.

And great, they’re called Olivo Miggy now. Figgy, Miggy, Ichi…

100. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 8:15 pm

Juneau-
    Maybe Ichiro can be “Itchy”? If he gets shingles? Poison Ivy?

101. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 8:20 pm

Figgins is worthless.

102. CarpCarter on April 19th, 2011 8:21 pm

Miggy?

Apparently now you get an endearing nickname for playing like crap.

How long until Custy?

103. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 8:26 pm

Yeah, let’s see what happens when they start calling Bradley Milty.

Well that’s a bummer, Saundy.

104. Carson on April 19th, 2011 8:27 pm

Ichiro is pissing all over Westside guy tonight.

105. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:28 pm

And, kind of hard to assume a walk.

When a pitcher is repeatedly having trouble finding the plate and has already walked two people – I take issue with this statement. I think, in that circumstance, you assume the trend is going to continue until proven wrong.

And basically that’s what Cust did, and it worked. (His only skill anymore…)

Miguel (I refuse to call him Miggy) didn’t do that, and he again did what he does so “well”.

106. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 8:29 pm

You dare to waken the demon, Westside.

Please do it more.

Oh crap, Figgy’s up.

107. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:30 pm

Ichiro is pissing all over Westside guy tonight.

I’ll take it, I deserve it…

108. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 8:30 pm

HAHA stealing third? it’s like he’s 10 years younger.

109. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 8:31 pm

Those expressions of the Tigers’ catcher are worthy of a .gif

I caught ‘Wow’ but not the second word. Perhaps ‘shit’?

110. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:32 pm

I’d try to pull the reverse mojo on Figgins, but rather than try harder I think he’d just scream and pout. Doubt he’d try going at Wedge, though…

111. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:34 pm

Seriously, these repeated speed demonstrations from Ichiro tonight are getting darn spooky!

FIGGINS!

112. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:35 pm

Figgins caught such a huge break – they had him dead to rights.

113. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 8:37 pm

Cust is our latest useless DH who either walks or hits singles, rots on the basepads or is the lead runner in a DP.

114. samregens on April 19th, 2011 8:38 pm

This has been an enjoyable game so far. (Even Figgins woke up a little–well he sure had the stage set thanks to Ichiro! and Westside’s reverse mojo may have got him also).

Man, I forgot this feeling (except for a couple innings with that unlikely comeback against the Jays).

And Ichiro is on fire. I love it!

115. pgreyy on April 19th, 2011 8:39 pm

I can’t tell if this is nice or cruel.

I mean, we’re seeing a glimpse of what we thought we could hope for…and yet, enough pessimism/realism has set in for us to realize that it is only a glimpse and it may not be repeated for ten games or more (if, in fact, we even “escape” with a win tonight…yes, the dark cloud is raining over the heads of every long suffering M’s fan this year.)

I’ll take it. Better an occasional game where we’re hitting, running and scoring than none–as it seems that I’ll be watching them all, regardless of whether anything good happening is even slightly possible…

116. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:55 pm

Wedge HAS to stop putting the slow guys in motion – it’s just not working.

So instead of no outs and two men on, there’s one out and one man on first.

117. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:57 pm

Aw, Michael.

118. Carson on April 19th, 2011 8:57 pm

I’m ok with the aggressive turn with a big lead. Plus, that was one hell of a friendly bounce.

119. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 8:59 pm

So, Blow, giving away all those outs is “going to pay off a little” huh?

How, exactly?

120. jordan on April 19th, 2011 8:59 pm

Like they are saying… sometimes when you are aggressive you will run into outs. that does not mean it was a bad idea. A lot had to go right for Kelly out there in right to get Michael.

121. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:00 pm

That didn’t bother me at all – the ball just happened to take a perfect bounce to the right fielder.

But it did bug me that sending Wilson cost an out AND ultimately a run. It’s the difference between aggressive and stupid.

122. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:01 pm

On the bright side – man, I am enjoying watching Ryan play short!

123. fallingceilingtiles on April 19th, 2011 9:03 pm

MB showing some love to ryan all the way from left field?

i dig that.

124. AssumedName on April 19th, 2011 9:05 pm

Is Fister throwing a cutter? He seems to be looking pretty good out there.

125. jordan on April 19th, 2011 9:07 pm

Assumedname… I was thinking the same thing. That last 87 mph pitch to end that inning had a Mariano Rivera type of movement to it.

126. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:07 pm

Rizz is freaking me out with his black leather jacket and Fonzie talk.

127. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:07 pm

Figgins!! Tonight, at least, he’s been looking good at the plate.

128. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:08 pm

It is nice to see the M’s get some hits off scrub pitchers instead of their usual ‘We’re up against Cy Young!’ performance.

129. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:09 pm

Rizz is freaking me out with his black leather jacket and Fonzie talk.

Rizz is the last guy who should be playing “The Fonz”. He’s Potsie if he’s anyone.

130. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:10 pm

Cust, please don’t hit a weak groundball.

131. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 9:11 pm

They’re not even letting him earn the walk!

132. Carson on April 19th, 2011 9:11 pm

This IBB should pan out beautifully.

133. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:11 pm

Hahaha, I can’t believe they’re walking Cust.

I know they’re “setting up the double play”, but Cust being at the plate is more or less setting up the double play.

134. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:14 pm

Damn! I was laughing so hard that they are IBB Cust that everyone posted before me. Haha I stil think it’s hilarious.
    Btw did you see the name of the new pitcher? Al Alburquerque? I feel sorry for him, musta been hell as a kid

135. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:14 pm

Oh, crap, I forgot Olivo bats after Cust.

136. Kazinski on April 19th, 2011 9:14 pm

Figgins!! Tonight, at least, he’s been looking good at the plate.

Look at Figgins’s and some of the other’s BABIP, I think Baker pointed this out a few days ago:

Ryan Langerhans.067
    Chone Figgins .148
    Jack Wilson .207
    Michael Saunders .217
    Ichiro Suzuki .273

Ichiro’s isn’t that bad, but it’s 75 points below his career average, so it is likely to come up too.

They won’t be good, but they aren’t as bad as they’ve been looking. Imagine if Langerhans had a .300 BABIP, his ops is a decent .744.

137. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:15 pm

Al Alburquerque

Wha’?

138. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:17 pm

Olivo.

139. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:19 pm

I have to say I hope they play Peguero evey game he is up. I really want to see him succeed. I mean this is supposed to be a youth movement so why not see what he can do while he’s up here and give him the most amount of at bats as possible?

140. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:20 pm

Their plan worked perfectly with Miggy.

141. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:20 pm

It’s really too bad his last name wasn’t just “Burquerque”.

142. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:22 pm

It’s really too bad his last name wasn’t just “Burquerque”.

That’s awesome. Made my night Westy

143. davepaisley on April 19th, 2011 9:24 pm

They won’t be good, but they aren’t as bad as they’ve been looking.

2010 called and says it wants its catchphrase back.

144. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok, here we go. Triple play.

145. Paul L on April 19th, 2011 9:25 pm

Sad news that Smoak’s father has passed away. Age 54.

146. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:28 pm

Please Wedge, don’t put the bullpen in

147. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:28 pm

*sigh* at game.

Awful about Smoak’s Dad. That’s going to be tough for a young man.

148. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:30 pm

I hope Justin made it back there before his dad passed away. Poor kid.

149. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:32 pm

Sad news that Smoak’s father has passed away. Age 54.

Damn that sucks. My dad is 60 and I couldn’t imagine that happening to him right now. I hope he knows that all Mariners fans will be there to support him when he gets back.

150. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:34 pm

2010 called and says it wants its catchphrase back.

BTW I loved this.

And oh crap, our turn to walk a guy in.

151. jordan on April 19th, 2011 9:36 pm

I think Wedge is on crack

152. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:36 pm

Paul L-
    Sad news, indeed. Young too (relatively).

Cancer is a strange bird. Your own body going mutant and attacking itself.

Thoughts go out to Smoak and the rest of his family.

153. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 9:37 pm

Who is this young Jamey Wright kid, anyway?

154. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:37 pm

WOO!!

155. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:38 pm

OK, how the heck is Jamey Wright this good this year? Wasn’t he the butt of most bullpen jokes last year?

156. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:39 pm

MsFanMike-
    The same old Jamey Wright with a really really good makeup artist (and evidently on a new undetectable performance enhancing drug).

157. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:45 pm

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. With a massive clunk.

158. jordan on April 19th, 2011 9:46 pm

So are we getting all these walks this year because we get lucky and run into pitching staffs on a bad day, or are we actually getting good at working counts and developing better batter eyes?

159. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:48 pm

Jordan-
    Tough question… It’s certainly not because pitchers are afraid of our lineup and nibbling at the corners. But there have definitely been a LOT of walks this year.

160. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:49 pm

161. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 9:49 pm

I think it would make sense to let Peguero get an at bat tonight and get some of the nervousness out of his system prior to giving him a start tomorrow? I would do it. There is nothing to lose and whatever he does tonight will allow him to at least be a bit more relaxed tomorrow. I am glad he got called up, but like everyone else – disenchanted by the circumstances. He isn’t quite ready, but he may do something awe inspiring and find a way to stick around for a bit.

162. Carson on April 19th, 2011 9:50 pm

Ichiro’s whizfest on Westside guy continues.

163. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:50 pm

HAHAHAHA!! Condor!

164. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:50 pm

Despite his record, I think it bears pointing out that Fister has pitched really really well this year. He’s sort of the quiet guy in the corner who never raises his hand, yet aces all the quizzes.

165. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:51 pm

Ichiro’s whizfest on Westside guy continues.

It’s nice to have things to laugh about tonight!

166. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 9:52 pm

Ichiro’s whizfest on Westside guy continues.

Have you noticed anybody else losing a step on the basepaths or any velocity on their fastball, Westy? This team could use a boost.

167. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 9:52 pm

That’s a great way to put it. Though I would say that he’s getting B plusses or A- all the time. He ain’t the Einstein that Felix is.

168. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:52 pm

I thought Saunders was going to run over the top of Gimenez!

169. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:53 pm

Your Player of the Game: (What’s his name anyways? The little short guy who plays 3rd… I don’t think I’ve seen him play before… New guys? Seems pretty good.)

170. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:53 pm

Can they score double-digits tonight?

171. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:53 pm

It does seem like – excepting Olivo – Jack Z prefers guys who’ll take a walk. Especially when the other team is trying to hand them out by the bucketful.

172. djw on April 19th, 2011 9:54 pm

How the hell was Saunders already only 10 feet behind Giminez as soon as Figgins hit that? That was weird…

173. Carson on April 19th, 2011 9:55 pm

10 runs. lolwat

174. msfanmike on April 19th, 2011 9:55 pm

Actually, my dad asked me (today) if I thought Ichiro was “losing it.” I told him, “no – typical April for Ichiro, and that his speed is still there.” I then went on to say that we would need to score 7 runs tonight to give Fister a chance to win … and that there was no way we would score 7 runs tonight” … so I will share some of the reverse “credit” mojo with you Westy. Whatever it takes … and yes, it is nice tohave things to laugh about tonight. Very nice.

175. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 9:55 pm

Anybody see the sign on the jumbotron? “My Oh Milton.” *shudder*

176. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 9:56 pm

Not actually keeping track, but pretty sure that’s the first time this season the #1-#2-#3 batters have gotten hits at the same time.

177. Carson on April 19th, 2011 9:57 pm

So, doesn’t this seem like a great time to hand the kid his first at-bat?

178. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:57 pm

Well I can’t take credit for Figgins, I already said it wouldn’t work.

Hmm… maybe saying THAT worked… hmm…

It’s too bad Olivo is such a slow tub of goo that couldn’t take a walk even if you dropped him in the middle of a crosswalk.

It’s too bad Cust lost all his power.

Um. Umm…

It’s too bad Ryan doesn’t have the power to get the ball over the left-field wall at Safeco…

179. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 9:58 pm

Gimmy (this is fun!) was looking behind him for the ball all the way, and Saunders wasn’t. He’s a fast runner too, and his legs are about twice as long as Gimmy’s!

The first out! Good god! How is the M’s batting?

180. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 9:59 pm

“no – typical April for Ichiro, and that his speed is still there.”

I will never doubt Ichiro! again.

181. Sports on a Schtick on April 19th, 2011 9:59 pm

10 runs on 12 hits (10 singles) and 10 walks.

The M’s are tickling the Tigers into submission.

182. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:00 pm

So if Saunders passes Gimmy, it’s an out obviously – but what if Saunders were to pick Gimmy up, hold him in front of him while running and cross the plate? ;-)

183. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:00 pm

Westside-
    How much does it cost to get you to offer up a “It’s too bad Chris Ray is painfully, horribly awful…” (Might be too late for him, but worth a try.)

184. samregens on April 19th, 2011 10:00 pm

Wow, this is really a “blind squirrel finds a nut” day for Figgins.

Let’s hope he doesn’t get back to sucking tomorrow.

Today it seems he’s been mainly piling on and I hope when the going gets leaner, he won’t slink back into his cozy rut again.

In any case, today I’ll take it!

185. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:01 pm

I think we can call him “Figgy!” tonight.

186. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:02 pm

Then they have to move the broadcast to a different channel on cable– with parental control.

187. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:02 pm

Sorry, I missed him.

It’s really too bad Chris Ray has no business coming within 10 feet of a pitcher’s mound anymore…

188. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:03 pm

I say they put Ray in tonight. No sense wasting a good pitcher on this lead.

My father used to fondly remember a football goal line play where a large lineman would pick up a small running back who had the ball and would toss him over the pile. Sadly, this is no longer allowed, but I know I’d pay money to see it.

189. Carson on April 19th, 2011 10:04 pm

Tonight’s comment thread word cloud.

You rally shouldn’t be so quiet, Westside.

190. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:04 pm

Hehe, MrZ.

191. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:05 pm

hahahahaha.

192. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:09 pm

No doubt about it– this game cements the whole problem to our season. It’s a simple solution really. Quick fix to an obvious dilemma.

RETIRE THE TEAL JERSEYS!!!!!!!! (Maybe they can wear them on “turn back the clock day”)

193. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:09 pm

Hehe, MrZ

Nothing says a good game thread like wandering into gay porn territory.

194. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:10 pm

Well, that and tell Chris Ray the address of the stadium has changed to Oklahoma City.

195. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:11 pm

juneau-
    It’s true. Gotta be in good spirits to brave those (john) waters. (In his latter days)

196. Kevin Rudolph on April 19th, 2011 10:11 pm

Saw Aardsma got hit a bit tonight in Tacoma. 2 runs on 2 hits, 2 walks 1 HR. But at least he was able to get into a game.

Very sad about Smoak’s dad. I too hope he made it there in time. I went through that with my dad just over a year ago. Tough stuff.

197. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear that Kevin.

198. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:18 pm

Juneau-
    On a positive note, nobody has mentioned yet anything about Detroit getting Fistered… (Oh wait… Sorry.)

199. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:20 pm

Kevin-
    Yeah, tough stuff… Went through it with my sis. Kinda feel guilty when something inside me gets a little sad/angry when I see specials about cancer survivors… “Why NOT my sister?”

200. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:21 pm

CONDOR!!!

201. Edgar4Hall on April 19th, 2011 10:21 pm

WOW. I forgot how much fun offense can be. Saunders!!!

202. jordan on April 19th, 2011 10:22 pm

Ahhh, Ichiro!

203. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:22 pm

Saundy has his revenge!

And Ichi is now crapping on your head, Westie, sorry.

204. sniper61 on April 19th, 2011 10:22 pm

HOW is Ichiro doing this well tonight?

205. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:22 pm

Oh man Ichiro, I publicly abase myself in front of you…

206. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:23 pm

Wow-
    So let me get this straight– all we needed to do to improve our offense was send away our best hitter (Smoak)?

I think, by definition (of giving up 12 runs to Seattle), we now know who has the worst pitching staff in all of baseball, and perhaps a bullpen worse than our’s?

207. jordan on April 19th, 2011 10:24 pm

This is all the M’s run for the rest of the year ladies and gentleman. Enjoy it.

208. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:25 pm

Westside-
    Or in Japanese (baseball) tradition– you must now commit “Harry Caray” to make amends

209. jordan on April 19th, 2011 10:27 pm

Why is Cust going up? Put Peguero in!

210. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:29 pm

These Tiger pitchers are reminding me of some of our worst pitching performances, where one guy after another gets up there and just can’t find the strike zone.

211. MrZDevotee on April 19th, 2011 10:30 pm

Double digit runs, double digit hits… Nobody wake me up– this is one heck of a Mariner dream I’m having…

212. Carson on April 19th, 2011 10:32 pm

Are you kidding? Put him in the field? Come on. Why not let the kid get an at-bat?

See, we can always find something to complain about!

213. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:32 pm

Rizz just said what I’m thinking. And the ball will go straight to Peguero.

Not right him, but close enough.

He doesn’t look like he’s breathing, poor kid.

214. Dave Spiwak on April 19th, 2011 10:34 pm

Austin Jackson. Is there any other major leaguer named after two state capitals?

215. Westside guy on April 19th, 2011 10:35 pm

216. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:35 pm

Poor Peguero didn’t even have time to dig a divet in the outfield!

217. jordan on April 19th, 2011 10:38 pm

I have a quick question. Everything I read about Peguero is that he is pretty good. Why isn’t he considered one of our top prospects? What is his big flaw, because at age 24, he still has some time to work them out.

218. juneau_fan on April 19th, 2011 10:53 pm

Jordan, there’s a post up, in case you haven’t seen it.

219. kenshabby on April 20th, 2011 12:13 am

So Tiger pitching still hasn’t given up a home run in what, 80+ innings?

Looking for an obscure ESPN-procured stat on the most BBs given up in a single game by a pitching staff without allowing a single longball…

220. ejb770 on April 20th, 2011 2:08 am

M’s had 2 homers on Monday (Milton and Smoak)

221. samregens on April 20th, 2011 7:44 am

You can say that again. The navy is so much better and solid than the quirky teal.

222. nvn8vbryce on April 20th, 2011 12:38 pm