Game 84, Padres at Mariners

marc w · July 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Blake Beavan makes his MLB debut today in perhaps the best situation a rookie fly-ball hurler could ask for: facing the Padres at Safeco Field.
The 6’7″ 240-250lb righty faces a line-up that doesn’t hit for a lot of power; keep fastballs away from Anthony Rizzo and Chase Headley, and he can hopefully keep out of trouble. His recent velo increase has helped make his change-up a bit more of a viable pitch, and he mixes in a slider as well. The M’s made two moves to get Beavan on the roster. First, they moved Chris Gimenez to the 60-day DL to open a 40 man spot. Then, they optioned Mike Carp to Tacoma to make room on the 25 man roster. Welcome to the show, Blake.
The M’s face Mat Latos, who’s in the unusual position of being smaller than the pitcher he’s facing. Latos has had a disappointing year that started with a shoulder injury and a DL stint.

The line-up:
1: Ichiro
2: Ryan
3: Kennedy (3B)
4: Smoak
5: Ackley
6: Halman (LF)
7: Peguero (DH)
8: Gutierrez (CF)
9: Bard

*Update to a previous story: The M’s now say that they don’t have a deal in place with Helsin Martinez. Bob Engle spoke to Ben Badler of BA early this morning disputing the published reports (from BA and elsewhere) that the M’s had inked Martinez to a $2m deal. Here’s Larry Stone’s post on the controversy.

Comments

53 Responses to “Game 84, Padres at Mariners”

1. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 12:39 pm

I was worried Wedge would sit Halman today, but I’m glad to see that he’s in at LF. Peggy at DH is fine with me, that’s the only position I want to see him at right now.

Ackley has returned! Hoorah!

2. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 12:53 pm

I think Guti needs to go back on the DL. He does not look like he is 100% with the way he is swinging. If he is healthy he needs to put some weight back on and get his strength back. In the long run it would help the team. We could us Halman in CF and *gasp* Peguero in LF for the time Guti is gone. It would also be a shorter time because of the AS break. If we are rebuilding we need to look for next year and beyond. Let Guti

3. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 12:53 pm

4. Sports on a Schtick on July 3rd, 2011 12:54 pm

Absolutely. Halman deserves his shot to sink or swim. And kick some ass Beavan!

5. Westside guy on July 3rd, 2011 12:54 pm

I feel sorry for Carp. He only got 35 ABs, and has now been demoted. Meanwhile, Wedge’s fascination with Jose Lopez 2.0 Peguero continues…

6. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 12:55 pm

Sorry my comp is screwing up I did not mean to post that, until I was done, and not twice. I never hit the button to post. To finish what I was writing, Let Guti get well.

7. Westside guy on July 3rd, 2011 12:56 pm

I am happy to see Halman in LF again, though.

I agree w/ Auggeydog about Guti – he obviously isn’t over the stomach issues.

Oh, and Ackley!!

8. xsacred24x on July 3rd, 2011 12:59 pm

Peguero has shown pop though in his short time Carp really didn’t show alot to Wedge warrant more playing time. Im most excited to see Halman get an opportunity though hes been on the bench more then the other 2 but he has shown the most imo.

9. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 1:04 pm

Any computer Geeks know why when I type my cursor will jump into the middle of the text or completely disappear? It also will just post a coment without me hitting the post button. I have been working with Dell since I bought it, and keep getting the run around. Typing this it has happened 5 times. I even spent $400 to put the max memorey in it because that was supposed to help. The only thing it did, was get her sales up. I have used malware and ccleaner. I just defragged the comp. It was an expensive comp and I can’t afford to replace it right now.

10. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 1:12 pm

@Auggey

I’d try Googleing the problem since the majority of tech support gets their answers from Google anyway. I’m unsure as to why it’s doing that, but try cleaning the keyboard. There might be some dust and crap in there that is making keys like Tab and Enter go off when you don’t want them to. Otherwise I don’t know what to tell you except don’t buy a Dell next time :p

Ooooo Beaven looked good out there.

11. groundzero55 on July 3rd, 2011 1:14 pm

I don’t think Carp did anything badly on the major league club other than not show much pop. He strikes me as a trade piece. I don’t think he will stick around.

12. jordan on July 3rd, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah, dont buy dell.. go lenovo.

Anyway, nice inning for Beavan. I just realized he was a first round pick. What are people saying his potential is? Mid rotation starter? He is only 22 so he has a lot of time to get better.

13. Westside guy on July 3rd, 2011 1:17 pm

Auggeydog – is it a desktop or a laptop? If it’s a laptop I’d expect it’s a trackpad issue. There’s usually a setting something akin to “ignore accidental trackpad input while typing” – I forget the exact wording on Windows (I’m on a Mac).

14. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 1:19 pm

^ Also, if none of the above works Auggey, try updating your drivers. Every once in a while unupdated drivers will cause weird stuff like that to happen.

15. lalo on July 3rd, 2011 1:22 pm

Kennedy!!

16. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 1:22 pm

Mariners: Hooray, we’ve already scored!

Fister: I hate all of you.

17. juneau_fan on July 3rd, 2011 1:37 pm

Yes, but they left two men on. I guess we should be pleased that it was actual men on base, but still…

18. kimalanus on July 3rd, 2011 1:41 pm

@Auggeydog – is your computer a laptop? This is going to sound dumb, but after years of computer support, one thing I know is how often it turns out that it’s the dumb stuff that is the answer…. When you are typing, make sure that all the parts of your hand are clear of the touch pad, including the heel of your palm and, when using the touch pad, only one point is touching it, including keeping your other fingers clear. It sounds like superfluous advice, but it is all too common a problem when the cursor is bouncing around randomly on a laptop.

19. Breadbaker on July 3rd, 2011 1:52 pm

Sims apparently isn’t using his counter today, because when the Padres scored he said, “And the Padres take the lead, 1-0.”

20. stevemotivateir on July 3rd, 2011 1:56 pm

Wonder when the experiment with Smoak in the clean-up spot will end. He tore it up in the 5 hole. With Ackley swinging the bat like a cross between Edgar and Olerud, I think it’s worth having a look at him there. Halman would be worth a look there as well.

21. stevemotivateir on July 3rd, 2011 1:58 pm

I hope he make my comment sound silly right now!

22. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 2:00 pm

Oh man. So close. So, so close.

23. The_Waco_Kid on July 3rd, 2011 2:02 pm

I’m sorry to see Carp go. He’s working hard and never got a a real chance. Still, I’m glad to see the Carp/Cust/Peguero/Halman situation finally end.

24. xsacred24x on July 3rd, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh man. So close. So, so close.

Would have loved a HR there but ill take a SAC Fly Smoak has been struggling in that situation.

25. Sports on a Schtick on July 3rd, 2011 2:14 pm

Woo, Maybin looked safe but I’ll take it!

26. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 2:30 pm

Oh hey it’s Harold Reynolds on something other than MLB Network.

27. Breadbaker on July 3rd, 2011 2:32 pm

Apparently, you can block second base.

28. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys I will try the ignore accidental track pad. All the others have been mentioned or tried. My kids have Dell and love them. I think I have an electrical output that screws up computers and the like. They never work like they should. I paid extra for the US support team, got tired of not being able to understand the help. I also buy a Dell because I can get great financing when I buy one. Have bought 4 for family memebers.

Why is Harold on the show? He has no love for the M’s is always saying crap about us. I used to love him, but he pisses me off with the crap he says.

I was busy and came in late, but Beavin looks like he is dealing pretty good. Could be another great piece for the rotation. Could Bedard be on DL and them looking at Beavin to see if he can replace him? The knee injury sounded a little funny, but I see Bedard going someplace.

29. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 2:42 pm

Breadbaker if the ball is imminent to be or in your control you can block any base. That was a great play. Tough for Ryan.

30. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 2:43 pm

As I think about it after hearing Harold, maybe he is so hard on the M’s so it does not look like he is partial. Why can’t any of them treat the Yankees like that?

31. lamlor on July 3rd, 2011 2:54 pm

I know this may sound wrong, but if Ryan slides straight in with cleats first, 2B/SS doesn’t block the bag again for a long, long time. It is part of baseball.

32. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 2:59 pm

Peggy with another shoestring base hit.

33. juneau_fan on July 3rd, 2011 3:14 pm

Pauley, don’t make my Sunday go in the crapper. Thanks.

Oh goodie, here comes Jamie Wright. *head, desk*

34. Breadbaker on July 3rd, 2011 3:15 pm

According to Gameday, he got terribly squeezed there.

35. Ichirolling51 on July 3rd, 2011 3:29 pm

Should we switch to a 6 man rotation, once Bedard returns? It makes perfect sense for this team. It would help to preserve Pineda longer into the season. And we can still keep Felix on his normal routine of every 5th day. The Yankees are thinking of doing the same thing. The way Beavan pitched today, I think it would be better in the long run moving forward, at least for this season anyways.

36. Ibuprofen on July 3rd, 2011 3:32 pm

We win! Champions!

37. Breadbaker on July 3rd, 2011 3:37 pm

Take that, Dastardly San Diegan Scum! Nothing beats the I-5 Rivalry!

38. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 3:39 pm

Beavin is the replaement for Bedard after the trade. I think this knee injury was a way to get a look at him and give Bedard a rest until after the AS break. Or maybe a team was interested in Beavin and was a way to get him up. There has to be something in the works, Trader Jack can’t sit still for so long.

39. Auggeydog on July 3rd, 2011 3:46 pm

lamior, there is a lot of respect for the opposing player, because what you do to my teammate will be returned 10 fold. Going in with cleats up is dirty and players do not last long in the majors anymore. I agree with playing hard, but not dirty. Remember when A Fraud yelled at the SS who was under a pop out? Also when he tried to slap teh ball out of the 1st base mans glove? These are not physically dirty, but still dirty. The backlash was swift and loud from around the league, many players did not like it. If a players go into another player that looks like they are trying to hurt another, opposing teams might repay the crime. Rememeber these guys do this for a living, how would you like it if someone purposely got you fired for no reason? That is how they wold take what you are talking about. Hustle and play hard within the rules, no place for sheap shots like that. IMHO

40. henryv on July 3rd, 2011 3:54 pm

Auggey,

I think you should read Derek’s (DMZ’s) book.

Baseball has a proud and ignoble tradition of cheaters, liars, and hooligans.

Cheater’s Guide to Baseball

It’s great.

41. griffin on July 3rd, 2011 4:03 pm

Ichirolling51:
    Should we switch to a 6 man rotation, once Bedard returns?

That is tough. It goes both ways for the argument. Lets say we make a move to get better offensively, you look at two ways..
    1. Going to a 6 man rotation (assuming Bedard is still on the team?) gives everyone, especially Pineda, an extra game played off. If Beavan or whoever were to step in could do alright, then it makes sense.
    2. It does just put us at risk for a loss more often if we throw in an unexperienced/less confident guy every 6th start.

These are all options that Z and the crew has gone over I’m sure though.

42. Ichirolling51 on July 3rd, 2011 4:05 pm

If we didn’t sign Helsin Martinez then who did? Or is he still unsigned, and if so, are we still in the running?

43. xsacred24x on July 3rd, 2011 4:28 pm

Don’t know but apparently we are the favourites to land Victor Sanchez a RHP who is the 3rd best prospect according to BA IFA rankings.

44. lamlor on July 3rd, 2011 5:05 pm

Ryan sliding straight into the base would not be dirty in any way. He slid to the outside of the bag because of the defenders foot covering the bag. The actual rule is that you can’t block in base/plate until you have the ball in hand. He blocked it and Ryan tried to slide around instead straight at it. No different than a play at the plate when catcher blocks plate and runner goes straight in. Not saying he should raise his leg. That would be dirty. Slide straight in and defender knows he was wrong and won’t do it a second time. Way different than playing dirty or cheap.

45. lamlor on July 3rd, 2011 5:07 pm

Should we switch to a 6 man rotation, once Bedard returns?

I say go to a 5 man lineup. That is what we need.

Ichiro
    Ackley
    Smoak
    Kennedy
    Olivo

46. SODOMOJO360 on July 3rd, 2011 7:42 pm

anddd Carp hits a HR in his first AB with Tacoma. He should have got regular AB’s over Peguero and Cust in the big show.

47. Westside guy on July 3rd, 2011 8:12 pm

Agreed. I know I’ve ragged on his chances, but he was given exactly 35 ABs while he was with the club.

If they’re going to call somebody up, they need to give him a decent shot to show what he has or doesn’t have. Otherwise, they’re basically just jerking him around.

48. xsacred24x on July 3rd, 2011 8:22 pm

Just because a guy is mashing Triple A pitching does not mean he is a MLB player take Brandon Wood for example for the Angels he was killing the ball down there he got called up and stunk big time for them he was a 1st round pick to. Halman has barely seen any playing time but he has made the most of it seemed like Carp got more then him could be wrong though don’t really keep track of that.

49. Westside guy on July 3rd, 2011 9:37 pm

My point was that 35 major league at bats is simply not enough with which to make that determination. Heck, when people like to argue for Peguero, they like to point out how his June numbers are significantly better than his May numbers. Well, in May alone, Carlos had 51 at bats. If you’re a Peguero supporter, should we have decided his fate halfway through May?

I’m totally in agreement with you regarding Halman, BTW – I want to see more of him, and not just platooned.

50. nvn8vbryce on July 3rd, 2011 10:43 pm

I have a question regarding the Giminez DL transfer… was it more or less the best option of freeing a spot on the 40 man roster? The local news stations in Reno (Giminez used to play for the University of Nevada, Reno where I am a student) seemed to imply that this was a “cheap” move on the part of the M’s.

51. G-Man on July 3rd, 2011 10:46 pm

The roster moves make me worry how Olivo is. I was sure they’d DFA or option Jose Yepez, because Olivo’s progress sounded like he was good enough to be the backup today. Instead, they both demote Carp and lose Giminez for 60 days. Maybe Giminez is in worse shape than I thought.

Edit: nv, I think they still pay him MLB salary, so it wouldn’t be to save money.

52. nvn8vbryce on July 3rd, 2011 11:28 pm

By cheap I meant that he didn’t need to go to the 60 day… not cost wise. I knew that he would get his full salary no matter what…

53. jephdood on July 4th, 2011 3:29 am

Whether you forecast Carp is a major league player or not, the M’s are really treating him poorly. Calling him up and letting him get 4 AB’s every 5th day is not a legitimate ‘shot’, IMO.