When Statistics Are Not Helpful

Dave · July 25, 2011 at 5:00 am · Filed Under Mariners

Here on USSM, we talk a lot about probability and likely outcomes. When making a decision, we think it’s generally wise to understand historical precedent, and to learn from history rather than repeat it.

But, there are times in life that you’re not making a decision, and knowledge of the probability of outcomes just doesn’t help at all. You are just rooting for one specific result, even if you don’t have any control over whether it occurs or not.

I’m now in one of those situations. Last week, I was informed that I have Acute Myeloid Leukemia, a particularly nasty member of the cancer family. History has given my doctors all kinds of data about cure rates and life expectancy, and statistical analysis is helping them decide just what kind of chemotherapy I’ll be taking in a few hours, which I’m really thankful for.

But really, those numbers do nothing for me. I’m not going to be making very many decisions over the next few months. I’m just going to be rooting like crazy for the drugs to work. I need reasons for hope, and I won’t find much of that in the harshness of raw data.

Data isn’t always what is needed. If you’re a Pirates fan right now, does it help you at all to know that your team probably won’t keep this up? You’re not going to be making any decisions that will change the outcome anyway, so why not root for the outcome you want, even if it isn’t statistically probable?

Thats what I’m going to spend the next few months (and years, in reality) doing. Save the odds for the doctors; I’m planning on living a long time. I’m planning on beating this thing. I’m planning on watching the Mariners win a game, and at this rate, that might take years. I want to be around to see it, though, and I just don’t care what the odds say is likely.

For the rest of 2011, I’m unsure of what my involvement here will be. You probably noticed that Derek has returned – I asked him to come help when I found out I had leukemia. The hospital has wi-fi, so if I feel good, I might write ten posts a day. If the chemo sucks, you might not hear from me for a few weeks. At this point, I just don’t know what is going to happen, but I know the outcome I want, and the fact that the data suggests it may not happen is irrelevant to me.

Statistics can be powerful, useful tools, and at times, they can be critical to understanding what to do. Other times, though, they’re useless, and so, for this situation, I say screw the data; I choose hope instead.

I know many of you are going to want to know how you can help. For now, I’ll just ask that you strongly consider donating both blood and platelets to the Red Cross – they have a critically low supply of both at the moment. Thankfully, my wife is an oncology PA; we have great health insurance and are in the trusted care of her friends and coworkers, so financial assistance isn’t needed at this time. If that changes, I’ll let everyone know, but for now, send prayers in lieu of cash.

See you all when I can. Don’t get too used to not having me around.

Comments

254 Responses to “When Statistics Are Not Helpful”

1. GBeck15 on July 25th, 2011 5:09 am

Dave, I credit you for my full-time embrace of progressive thinking when it comes to baseball statistics, and for helping me refine my overall approach to my favorite sport. I’m from Chicago, and a White Sox fan, but I read this blog daily. Your writing style is fantastic, and I’m very appreciative of all your work. You really have to go beat this one; we need more of you, and much less of the idiots (Phil Rogers?) writing about baseball. Best of luck.

2. wtnuke on July 25th, 2011 5:10 am

This is when a 15-game losing streak has no meaning at all. Get well soon Dave, we’re all pulling for you.

3. imissbluewave on July 25th, 2011 5:25 am

I’ll be rooting and praying for your full recovery, Dave.

4. EnglishMariner on July 25th, 2011 5:27 am

Rooting for you Mr Cameron. x

5. gej on July 25th, 2011 5:30 am

Get well very soon, Dave.

6. matthew on July 25th, 2011 5:31 am

wtnuke wrote:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. If there’s anything we can do for you Dave, please let us know.

7. glenchristie18 on July 25th, 2011 5:36 am

Your work is every day reading for this Mariner stranded 8 time zones away in Scotland, and I’m just gutted to hear the news.

I know you’ll kick it in the ass though Dave, we’ve all got your back.

8. Bodhizefa on July 25th, 2011 5:36 am

Dave, if there’s ever anything you need from us, don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll certainly be praying for you. Please get well soon.

9. weasleman42 on July 25th, 2011 5:38 am

Rooting for a swift recovery, Dave.

10. tgf on July 25th, 2011 5:40 am

Get well soon Dave.

11. staymotivated on July 25th, 2011 5:42 am

Wishing you a rapid recovery. We are all behind you.

12. TomG on July 25th, 2011 5:48 am

Good luck and stay strong, Dave. Our thoughts are with you on a speedy recovery.

13. bilbo27 on July 25th, 2011 5:49 am

Holy crap, I had to read “Last week, I was informed that I have Acute Myeloid Leukemia” line several times; I couldn’t believe it. You’re too young and too awesome for such life threatening illnesses. Good luck with your treatment. We’re all pulling for you.

14. BJ on July 25th, 2011 5:57 am

Godspeed you Dave

15. built2crash on July 25th, 2011 5:58 am

Dave,
    I wish you well! I along with everyone else will be rooting for you.

16. Mustard on July 25th, 2011 6:02 am

Dave, my thoughts, prayers and hope go out to you. Your extended Mariner family is here if you need anything.

17. charliebrown on July 25th, 2011 6:09 am

Dave, get well soon.

18. oNeiRiC232 on July 25th, 2011 6:09 am

My thoughts, prayers, giant foam finger, cowbell, and rally fries are with you Dave. Show me where I can buy the jersey and I’m in. Beat this!!!

19. matthew on July 25th, 2011 6:13 am

For anyone that hasn’t donated blood before, I recommend reading this. I’ve been donating since 9/11 and the process has changed a lot in ten years — for the better.

The Puget Sound Blood Center has multiple locations and some of them are even open on weekends.

It doesn’t cost a thing, takes very little time, and you could be saving many lives with just one donation of whole blood. You can donate more often if you donate platelets, and at their central location (9th & Terry) they even have movies you can watch while making your donation. I’m guessing this is the case at other donation locations.

20. davesmith1983 on July 25th, 2011 6:18 am

Happy thoughts are being sent your way! You can do it, man.

21. LMF on July 25th, 2011 6:23 am

Prayers and positive thoughts from a survivor. Chin up, you’ll get through it.

22. sass on July 25th, 2011 6:34 am

Get well soon, Dave. We’re praying for you.

23. Willmore2000 on July 25th, 2011 6:36 am

I’ll be rooting like hell too.

And you damn well better beat this too, because rooting for one losing team is miserable enough.

So when the M’s eventually win the WS in 2054, I expect to be reading your holo-blog post about it.

24. kmsandrbs on July 25th, 2011 6:48 am

Our prayers will be with you. Hope you knock this one out of the park!

25. nuin on July 25th, 2011 6:49 am

Good luck with everything, all the best in the treatment and wishes of a full recovery. If you need any help, drop me a note, we’re basic cancer researchers and we can help you with some information.

26. z24lax on July 25th, 2011 6:54 am

Dave, get well soon and have an easy and speedy recovery

27. ChrisHatch52 on July 25th, 2011 6:56 am

That is the perfect attitude.
    At a certain point all you can do is hope, pray, and try to be strong. Just remember Dave there’s always hope even on your worst days. I hope for you, your family, and your USSM family that your medical professionals take phenomenal care in treating this.

Best of luck Dave. I know we’re all pulling for remission.

28. pnewman on July 25th, 2011 7:04 am

Get well soon Dave. You are in our thoughts.

29. westcoastbias on July 25th, 2011 7:13 am

We’re with you. Get well soon Dave

30. SF Mariner on July 25th, 2011 7:28 am

Get well soon Dave. You have the perfect attitude and a community behind you.

31. bill1410 on July 25th, 2011 7:31 am

Hoping for the best Dave. Don’t know what else to say but I’m definitely expecting nothing less than a full recovery if only so I can selfishly continue reading your wonderful writing.

32. sgreen13 on July 25th, 2011 7:31 am

Dave,

Take it from someone who is just recovering from an agressive form of malignant osteochondroma (bone tumor) that even when things are tough they are bearable. If you need anything, please dont hesitate ask. Having been through it recently I can tell you that friends are the best medicine. For everyone here I took a lot of comfort from being able to connect and read the articles posted at USSM. In fact I looked several times a day to see if there were new posts. Since it was such a help for me I feel that if there is anything I can do to return the favor please let me know.

-S

33. robbbbbb on July 25th, 2011 7:50 am

Good luck, Dave. We’ll be praying for you. And we hope to see you at the next USSM event.

34. floydr on July 25th, 2011 7:52 am

You have more words to write, more managers and players to excoriate or praise. I know it’s sappy to say so, but apply all your passion to getting well. Good luck, good living.

35. mfan on July 25th, 2011 7:52 am

Hoping you beat this thing.

36. Dennisss on July 25th, 2011 7:54 am

Best of luck Dave. You have a lot of people pulling for you.

37. Ryan22 on July 25th, 2011 7:55 am

Dave,

Never posted on here, but i read your work (and the work of the other USSM writers) daily. Good luck in beating this, best wishes to you.

38. ams5661 on July 25th, 2011 8:19 am

i’ve enjoyed your writing for a long time. you’re in my thoughts!

39. Chris_From_Bothell on July 25th, 2011 8:27 am

I don’t have prayers, but if I did, you would be in them. Good luck to you, sir.

40. 83problems on July 25th, 2011 8:28 am

Me and all my old-lady friends are praying for you! Your blog makes being a fan possible through these hard times. Thank you, and keep the faith.

41. ivan on July 25th, 2011 8:29 am

I’d rather root for you than root for the Mariners any day, Dave. But none of our best wishes will mean a thing compared to the strength of your will to live.

My first sports editor at the Seattle Times, the late Georg N. Meyers, lost his wife Dallas to cancer, but only after she battled that cancer for twenty-four years. That is the strength of a will to live that I am talking about. Make it yours and we will all be with you in spirit.

42. studes on July 25th, 2011 8:29 am

Dave, best of luck. I hope your voice stays strong a long, long time. Please let us know if we can help.

43. dsmiley on July 25th, 2011 8:31 am

Best of luck, Dave! Everyone orbiting the world of the Seattle Mariners is rooting for you!

44. vj on July 25th, 2011 8:32 am

Here’s hoping you beat the odds, however good or bad they may be. Wishing you a swift and full recovery.

45. r-gordon-7 on July 25th, 2011 8:33 am

Somewhere there must be a statistic showing that the non-statistical intangibles – will, determination, spirit, heart, support – are indeed huge, and that with all these going for you, odds improve dramatically. Many more people than you know are rooting for you…

46. Thom Jimsen on July 25th, 2011 8:34 am

This just isn’t fair, dammit. You’re one of the finest people and finest writers I’ve ever known. The world can’t afford to have you on the 60-day disabled list.

I believe I can shake the rust off my childhood prayer muscles and exercise them again on your behalf.

I do expect you to use your downtime to coin a WIns Over Replacement Platelets metric, however.

47. Westside guy on July 25th, 2011 8:35 am

I’m praying for you man. Take care of yourself, and get well.

48. wibnrml on July 25th, 2011 8:38 am

When one deals with daily events and stress, losing streaks and life in general. Then reading something like this that’s happening to someone whether you personally know them or not, can really put thing in perspective.
    I hope you pull through this completely and with minimal discomfort.
    God be with you.

49. msb on July 25th, 2011 8:38 am

Ryan Divish has written a kind and thoughtful blog entry about Dave this morning.

50. banestar on July 25th, 2011 8:40 am

Best of luck, Dave. I’m sure you can beat this thing.

I’m running in the Hartford half marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in October, and now I’ve got even more motivation to run and to raise more money to help find a cure.

51. mkd on July 25th, 2011 8:40 am

We’re with you whatever you need.

52. niterunner on July 25th, 2011 8:44 am

Dave, wishing you a quick and complete recovery.

53. B.W.Marx on July 25th, 2011 8:45 am

Similarly to the first post, the pursuit of this base of knowledge was first encountered through you all and this writing space.

Our mother, brother is also a unhealthily avid reader, was diagnosed with the chronic form of the same disease about 10 years ago. To recite the struggle that you will about to encounter would probably be redundant at this point as you’ve now read anything about this change in blood chemistry that has occurred. My hope is that it was caught early enough (to those who don’t know, the acute form of the disease has higher rates of complications, but also a greater likeliness of remission if found in the early stages) to put you into a statistical category that doctors smile in reference to. The only other thing that we have to offer is how thankful we are to have been introduced to a person, whose writing is just the link to the personality, who has made us question, challenge, despise, and appreciate this game. I certainly won’t be surprised if 4 months from now your doctors are checking fangraphs on lunch breaks.

While I know you have said that great support will be a constant, if you would ever like to talk to someone who has been through it all, my mother is a spry wordsmith with a penchant for dictating outcomes…like someone I’ve come to know.

54. Garrrrr on July 25th, 2011 8:48 am

Best wishes, Dave.

55. Swungonandbelted on July 25th, 2011 8:48 am

Needless to say reading this was a shock when I popped on here this morning…

You stay strong brother, and I’ll be sending thoughts and prayers your direction.

56. cjones on July 25th, 2011 8:48 am

Dave, thanks for making your life situation known to the USSM fans like this. I hope that you find tremendous support as a result. I am praying for you.

57. Zero Gravitas on July 25th, 2011 8:50 am

Best wishes – I’ll be rooting for you as well.

58. stevemotivateir on July 25th, 2011 8:52 am

You definitely have the right view on all this! Keep thinking positive and push forward! Wishing you all the best.

59. StatisticallyInsignificant on July 25th, 2011 8:53 am

Refuse to Lose Dave! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

60. zeebfan on July 25th, 2011 8:56 am

I will be praying for your recovery. Being strong and young are both positive signs for a good outcome. Please ask for the help you need.

61. davepaisley on July 25th, 2011 8:58 am

First, let me say that you and your team will be in my prayers. Second, thank you so much for sharing this. It’s so much easier to support you in whatever way we can when we know what’s going on.

And I’d be happy to give blood and platelets if it wasn’t for that damn Mad Cow disease… :/

All the best…
    dave

62. IHaveALittleProject on July 25th, 2011 8:59 am

Best of luck Dave. You’re right, better to be lucky and hopeful than to worry about any stats here…small sample size! Only need one success.

63. Colorado Mariner Fan on July 25th, 2011 8:59 am

Dave – That’s indeed concerning news. My wife and I are saying a prayer as we speak. Stay tough and tenacious – it’ll all work out. Thx to Derek for stepping back in.

64. maqman on July 25th, 2011 8:59 am

You are an exceptional human being Dave, if anyone can beat this you can. If a prayer every day will help I’m in.

65. Klatz on July 25th, 2011 9:00 am

Best wishes for you and your family. Sometimes life is a pile of crap.

66. zzyzx on July 25th, 2011 9:02 am

I just want to wish you the best. I have a few friends fighting similar diseases and when people pull for you, it does make things easier.

67. Brantid on July 25th, 2011 9:02 am

I’ve seen several people beat the odds with cancer. All of them had a good attitude and a willingness to fight. My thoughts are with you and your family.

68. mwinkel on July 25th, 2011 9:03 am

I am going to make “Refuse to Lose Dave!” T shirts.

P.S. I am the brother that B.W.Marx referenced, and since he is the more poetic of the 2 of us, I will simply stand by every word he wrote and hope that I get the pleasure of your writing making me feel like I am your long lost soul mate.

Good luck brother!

69. party4marty on July 25th, 2011 9:05 am

Dave. I dont normally write anything here, but this was a good post, that I want to share. When you beat this and along the way, your words will inspire others to choose life, and fight, and win. The sports analogy was right on. Similarly, when my mom beat cancer, someone gave her a GI Joe because she was going to war. So go buy one and win.

70. The Ancient Mariner on July 25th, 2011 9:07 am

Will definitely be praying — and giving thanks for the particular blessing of your wife’s training and position; the generic odds don’t take into account that sort of home-field advantage.

71. make_dave_proud on July 25th, 2011 9:16 am

Very best to you, Dave. Looking forward to you returning and refuting many comments, mine included.

But the very best to you and your family right now. Hang in there.

72. Derek (not DMZ, but nearly as awesome) on July 25th, 2011 9:19 am

Will be thinking of you and your family, Dave. I look forward to reading your work for many, many years to come.

73. rlb on July 25th, 2011 9:20 am

Glad to see you asked for prayer, Dave. I have already and will continue to. Rooting is good, but prayer is great.May the God of all comfort give you peace beyond comprehension.

74. erich39 on July 25th, 2011 9:23 am

Good luck, Dave. We will all be rooting (cue Root Sports Guy voice) for you. You and your family are in my prayers.

75. heather on July 25th, 2011 9:23 am

My prayers are with you and your family. You have a strong invisible support group here on these here internets, don’t forget it or hesitate to ask for anything. Looking forward to ten posts a day coming soon!

76. m4ttb4rr on July 25th, 2011 9:24 am

Best wishes, Dave. There’s a wonderful article by Stephen Jay Gould about when he was diagnosed with a difficult disease, called, appropriately, The Median Isn’t the Message. Here is a PDF, or if that doesn’t work, Google will find it promptly.

77. G-Man on July 25th, 2011 9:24 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Dave.

A losing streak suddenly seems less than trivial.

78. rgrams7 on July 25th, 2011 9:25 am

I disagree with the majority of what you say on here, but on this one I am with you 100 percent. These things tend to put baseball in perspective.
    All the best to you.

79. PackBob on July 25th, 2011 9:33 am

Keep the hope high, Dave. You’ve got it right. Odds go out the window. I’m hoping for the best for you.

80. Rayvensdad on July 25th, 2011 9:35 am
  81. giuseppe on July 25th, 2011 9:36 am

Terrible news, but it sounds like you have a great attitude, Dave. If anyone has the passion, grit and hustle to beat this, it’s you. Sounds like you have a great support network and team. I’ll be thinking of you and your family.

82. njpozner on July 25th, 2011 9:39 am

Dave, I’m stunned to hear this. I’ll be pulling for you to have a swift and complete recovery, and you and your family will be in my thoughts.

83. droppedrod on July 25th, 2011 9:40 am

Stay strong Dave. Odds are meant to be beaten.

84. Summertime on July 25th, 2011 9:41 am

Dave,

Love your work and insightful commentary. However, sometimes statistics be damned. Fight like hell and beat this thing.

85. DHRjericho on July 25th, 2011 9:45 am

Dave,

Sorry to hear the news. I will be rooting for one outcome as well. Get better soon.

86. dirkvdb on July 25th, 2011 9:47 am

Terrible, terrible news. You will be in my prayers.

A couple of my friends have cancer and have maintained blogs at caringbridge.org. They have been able to keep people informed, get support including scheduling meals, etc. A good place.

87. beadyeyes123 on July 25th, 2011 9:51 am

I am rooting for you Dave. You are the reason I will always look deeper at statistics than I did back before there was a USSM.

You’ll kick this in the butt, I know you will. Get well.

88. nic on July 25th, 2011 9:53 am

Dave,

I’m rooting for you as well, though I’ve never meet you, your writing has helped me fall back in love with a game that (despite being an M’s fan) only brings me joy. It’s probably already been said (but those comments are for you) but be sure to check into the LLS as well they were very helpful to a friend and his wife as he battled with Leukemia.

Good luck going forward, stay positive, you can beat this.

89. Badbadger on July 25th, 2011 9:54 am

Best wishes Dave. They’re curing a lot of cancer these days. We’ll be thinking of you.

90. bdunn02 on July 25th, 2011 9:58 am

Be like the first-half Pirates, dude. We’ll be thinking about you out here in the ‘Burgh.

91. tylerv on July 25th, 2011 10:02 am

Wow.. We’re all rooting for you Dave!

92. okdan on July 25th, 2011 10:02 am

I’m so sorry to hear this news. My uncle had the same affliction, so I know how rough the possibilities are. I’ll be hoping for the absolute best, Dave. Best wishes.

93. trtlrock on July 25th, 2011 10:03 am

Dave — you can beat this.

Your stance & outlook regarding the situation is ideal.

DO NOT give up hope.

You can beat it.

94. hoyle on July 25th, 2011 10:07 am

Hey Dave, I’ve been reading USSM for a while now but thought I would make an account to wish you well and share a little of my experience with leukemia.

I got diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leuk a couple weeks after my 21st birthday a little over three years ago. After receiving six months of chemo at Swedish hospital in Seattle I was in remission for the next year and a half. Then almost exactly on the two-year anniversary of the original diagnosis I relapsed with ALL and ended up at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (they’re swell) getting a marrow transplant at the end of 2010. I’m doing well for now, no signs of disease and back with my doc at Swedish who I get to see so very frequently.

Anyway, I can’t remember the original purpose of posting here other than to say take care and I hope you recover. If you want to hear more or need anything I’d be happy to share.

95. Thievery on July 25th, 2011 10:07 am

Our family received similarly devastating news over a year ago when out of the blue our stepmom was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. After a course of chemo, radiation, and other treatments, the cancer has slowed to a halt and she is expected to live her life out fully.

Best wishes to you for a similar outcome. God is ready to hear your calling in this time of need.

96. Chris Hafner on July 25th, 2011 10:08 am

I’m so sorry, Dave. Nobody deserves to have to go through a battle like this, least of all you, but I’m sure that with your youth and tenacity that you’ll get the best of this.

The only tiny silver lining to this is that this gives the rest of us an opportunity to tell you how much your work means to us – whether it’s your readers, or people like Divish, Drayer, or Baker. I can say confidently that our blogosphere and professional team coverage wouldn’t be anywhere close to what it is without this blog and the contributions you, Derek, Jason, Jeff, and now Marc and Jay make. You’ve been hugely influential and have taken people like me who were at best casual baseball fans and have helped give us new ways to look at things.

I can’t wait to see what you do next and what the rest of your career holds after you win this battle. We’re all too used to reading you and disagreeing with you to let you off the posting hook this easily. :-)

And a hat tip to DMZ for making the time and effort to come back and fill the void. It’s great to have you back even if the reason makes it bittersweet.

97. BillH on July 25th, 2011 10:09 am

Good luck, Dave.

98. ericpitt on July 25th, 2011 10:10 am

I signed up just so I can say I’m rooting for you. I love reading your blog and I fully expect many many more in the future!

99. The_Waco_Kid on July 25th, 2011 10:11 am

It’s been good to have Derek back, but it’s so sad to hear it’s under these circumstances. Good luck, Dave. All your readers appreciate your work and you’ll be in everyone’s thoughts and prayers.

100. Lonnie on July 25th, 2011 10:12 am

Dave,

You are in our thoughts and prayers over at Mariner Central.

Lonnie

101. ThundaPC on July 25th, 2011 10:14 am

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family, Dave. Been reading your stuff for over 7 years. Me pulling for you is a no-brainer!

102. pastorluke on July 25th, 2011 10:14 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a few years now but have left the commenting up to others. I finally was compelled to respond. I am praying for you Dave and I hope you find the real Peace that goes beyond all our understanding.

103. DawgDays on July 25th, 2011 10:14 am

What comes to mind is the Mariners, 13 games down in August of 1995. “Refuse To Lose!”

Prayers ascending, Mr. C, that you kick ass and take names.

Shannon Drayer offers her thoughts here.

Here in the Seattle area, you can donate blood, platelets, plasma, etc. at the Puget Sound Blood Center – http://www.psbc.org. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks for an already-scheduled appointment. And we’ve been donating to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for years.

104. BlueB on July 25th, 2011 10:14 am

My prayers are with you.

105. Thingray on July 25th, 2011 10:17 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family .

106. marinerfaninpdx on July 25th, 2011 10:18 am

Including you in my prayers. Prayer and a positive attitude – two of the most unscientific things in the world that have nonetheless proven to help healing. God bless you and your family.

107. UnderTheClouds on July 25th, 2011 10:19 am

I wish you the best in your fight and recovery!

108. Believe Big on July 25th, 2011 10:19 am

Stay positive. You can beat this!

109. paracorto on July 25th, 2011 10:25 am

Dave, sincere wishes to win your battle from Florence, Italy

110. RRS for Prez on July 25th, 2011 10:26 am

I’m so sorry Dave. This breaks my heart. I am and will continue to be praying for you.

111. greentunic on July 25th, 2011 10:27 am

Praying for you Dave! Get well soon!

“Never tell me the odds!”

-Han Solo

112. GripS on July 25th, 2011 10:28 am

Very sorry to hear this news Dave. May you have a successful treatment and a speedy recovery!

113. yofarbs on July 25th, 2011 10:30 am

Dave,

You’ve added so much enlightenment and fun for us over the last few years. Stay strong and know that you have a King’s Court of your own cheering for you.

114. Sports on a Schtick on July 25th, 2011 10:35 am

Amen.

115. sv2244 on July 25th, 2011 10:35 am

Best wishes in your recovery Dave!

116. glove20 on July 25th, 2011 10:38 am

Fell in love with the site and knowledge years ago…prayers are with you!

117. matto on July 25th, 2011 10:40 am

Dave,

I don’t comment on here that often anymore but I just wanted to chime in and say God bless you and your family as you go through the treatment.

May the Mariners and baseball serve as a good distraction from the treatments from time to time.

118. bigherm on July 25th, 2011 10:43 am

Prayers and best wishes. Go get ‘em.

119. drjeff on July 25th, 2011 10:52 am

Be well, Dave. You’ll be in my thoughts. Kick ass.

120. jorn on July 25th, 2011 10:59 am

Mariner fans around the globe are rooting for you. Refuse to lose, Dave.

121. Reuben on July 25th, 2011 11:02 am

I spent a year studying in Germany using your writing here and on fangraphs to combat homesickness. A month after I came home my dad was diagnosed with stage four melanoma and my family spent a both tough and wonderful six months fighting and saying goodbye. Work hard if it’s what you love and keeps you strong, but take the opportunity to use your time with those you love and care about. Keep fighting and live in the moment, there are a lot of beautiful ones left no matter if you have six months or sixty years.

122. seahopp on July 25th, 2011 11:02 am

Here’s to hope Dave, Refuse to Lose.

123. spiy776 on July 25th, 2011 11:11 am

Dave: As an avid USSM reader, I am deeply sorry to hear about this. I appreciate the time you have taken to maintain this blog and keep us all up to date on the latest statistics. Wishing you all the best in your recovery!

124. Breadbaker on July 25th, 2011 11:12 am

Dave, whether you beat this because something that was supposed to work statistically did work, or because of a total complete fluke, I don’t give a rip. You will beat this. I plan on not getting used to losing your voice at all. Go Dave! Go Medical Team!

125. kenshabby on July 25th, 2011 11:15 am

Screw cancer. You can beat this, Dave!

126. Keo on July 25th, 2011 11:21 am

Rooting for you man. Even though I’ve never met you personally, your work here has made baseball a more deep and interesting sport for me, and for that I am always grateful.

127. lalo on July 25th, 2011 11:31 am

You can beat this Dave, i’m pretty sure you will write about the M´s and baseball for many years to come, is only an obstacle in the way, but with your great attitude and your intelligence, this will be easy to beat, we´ll be here hoping and praying for your total recuperation!!

128. henryv on July 25th, 2011 11:35 am

Dave:

I am so sorry, but I know that you can overcome this. We’re all rooting and praying for you. I also want to again say thank you for everything you’ve done for M’s and baseball fans around the world.

You can beat this, and you are not alone!

Henry

129. dchappelle on July 25th, 2011 11:37 am

Dave said he doesn’t want anything… but wouldn’t it be cool to get him a clubhouse visit or to watch a game from the dugout sometime when he’s feeling up to it. 5 minutes with Ichiro and Felix…

God bless either way.

130. FelixFanChris420 on July 25th, 2011 11:37 am

Wow. I’m very sorry to hear this, Dave, here’s to hoping that you make a full recovery. Best wishes to you and your family in this trying time.

131. jorax on July 25th, 2011 11:42 am

You are the reason I understand baseball as well as I do today Dave. Glad to see you are keeping a positive attitude and a practical approach to this problem – know that our thoughts and prayers are with you!

132. Auggeydog on July 25th, 2011 11:43 am

Attitude attitude attitude, that is what it is about. Well the correct care too. My Wife has a co-worker that has been sent home 3 times to die, she says she is not ready yet. She has been fighting for 2 years with no end in sight. She is amazing to watch, keep up the fight and don’t give up. We will be praying for you.

133. patl on July 25th, 2011 11:47 am

Dave, I know that you’re a man of reason and of faith, and I’m joining with you in praying for health and life and peace, and hope throughout the entire process. God’s light be with you.

134. moyerLIVES on July 25th, 2011 11:49 am

Good luck Dave. I’ll be pulling for you and your family. Keep us updated, to the extent that you’re able.

135. TheSchoolcraft on July 25th, 2011 11:57 am

Dave, you opened my eyes to baseball analysis and I credit you with with introducing me to a new way of looking at the game. I want to wish you the best of luck with beating this thing and I’ll be pulling for you from Sweden.

136. sexymarinersfan on July 25th, 2011 11:59 am

Your in my thoughts and prayers! Get well soon and God Bless!

137. paulhamann on July 25th, 2011 12:00 pm

Prayers: done. Fight hard, and know that we’re on your side.

138. section331 on July 25th, 2011 12:03 pm

I said it on Twitter, but will say it again here; if you need anything, and there’s anything I can do, just say the word.

139. Larry on July 25th, 2011 12:07 pm

I have been a regular reader for several years. I tend to read all the articles, but when it comes to inter-game comments, I mostly cringe at the idiots who feel compelled to see their thoughts in print. I quickly scan through, reading only the comments left by “Dave” and “Derek”. The depth of your knowledge, dedication to the site, and certainly your sense of humor are why you’ve captivated my interest. Get well!!!!

140. Griffin Cooper on July 25th, 2011 12:07 pm

I’m really sorry, Dave. Get well soon.

141. finman84 on July 25th, 2011 12:10 pm

Dave, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends as you take on this battle. It’s matters like this that make baseball, football, etc., trivial. Having a positive attitude is a very important first step, and it will be crucial from here on out. Hang in there, fight hard and stay focused and above all, remember we are all pulling for you to beat this.

142. rayrems on July 25th, 2011 12:10 pm

I have been reading this blog regularly for somewhere close to 10 years. This is my first time adding a comment. I just want to add to the outpouring of support for Mr. Cameron.

Dave, you obviosly affect many people in a profound way. Stay strong and fight through it. Baseball needs you!

143. MKT on July 25th, 2011 12:15 pm

Unbelievable. It was great to see DMZ back — but not for this reason. Dave could’ve easily thrown in the towel regarding USSM, and Derek could’ve said he’s too busy; you both have my respect and gratitude for your dedication to keeping USSM going.

Remember that Babe Ruth story where he meets a sick kid in the hospital and hits a home run for him and gives the kid the will to beat his illness? Do it for Dave, you Mariners! Like, win a game.

144. StorminGorman on July 25th, 2011 12:26 pm

There’s no debating chemistry or character as you fight for your one specific result. Fight on, Dave. We’re with you.

145. King.Dome on July 25th, 2011 12:41 pm

Much love and healing brother.

146. emilm on July 25th, 2011 12:52 pm

I’ve never posted here, and probably won’t again, but I’ve been an avid reader for what must be a decade by now. Get well soon, Dave. You can beat this. You’re in our thoughts.

147. DaKine on July 25th, 2011 12:53 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter.

I appreciate your work and the community that has evolved around it. The finest kind of leadership. Thoughts and prayers are with you for a complete recovery.

148. Gregor on July 25th, 2011 12:58 pm

Dave, you are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

And, like Mr. Paisley, I would donate blood if it wasn’t for the Mad Cow disease rules …

149. Jake Squid on July 25th, 2011 1:04 pm

That’s just awful news. Good luck, Dave.

150. F-Rod on July 25th, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear the news. Good luck with your fight.

151. stevie_j13 on July 25th, 2011 1:14 pm

Go get ‘em, Dave! Can’t wait to have you back at full strength.

152. scraps on July 25th, 2011 1:16 pm

Dave, keep fighting.

153. King.Dome on July 25th, 2011 1:17 pm

I saw PJ’s McCready posted this nice little acoustic instrumental today called ‘song of healing for Page’. I am singing songs of healing for you Dave.

154. texasmarinerfan on July 25th, 2011 1:17 pm

Dave, you are one of the reasons that I read this blog, you have made an oasis here on ussmariner for fellow M’s fans. The Mariners both team and in spirit have already lost Dave Niehaus, I am praying that we will never, ever lose a Dave Cameron. Get Well Soon Dave. Good Luck

155. King.Dome on July 25th, 2011 1:18 pm
  156. eponymous coward on July 25th, 2011 1:18 pm

Best wishes and prayers to you.

157. RRR on July 25th, 2011 1:18 pm

Dave, God Bless and hang tough. We’re all rooting for you. You’ll be in my prayers.

158. rick m on July 25th, 2011 1:19 pm

Praying and pulling for you Dave! Good luck and Godspeed!

159. tres_arboles on July 25th, 2011 1:27 pm

Best of luck to you. Mariners fans owe you a debt of gratitude for your contribution to our insight into the game. Here’s pulling for more of the same after you win this fight.

David

160. sankthetank on July 25th, 2011 1:43 pm

I owe my advanced (or at least better) way of thinking about baseball – and really all business matters — to this website. I hope to see it going strong with you, Dave, for another 50 years. May you have a speedy recovery.

161. gag harbor on July 25th, 2011 1:55 pm

Dave, for a baseball fansite blog, I’ve found myself crying from your posts more than I ever imagined. Previously it was for the charity you moved me to donate to and then it was your beautiful, loving words about your engagement. Now this. I am encouraged by medical technology and the power of positivity. You are in my thoughts during this temporary irritation in your daily life. Get well.

162. refusetolose on July 25th, 2011 1:57 pm

get well soon, Dave

163. JerBear on July 25th, 2011 2:04 pm

Floored. My prayers are with you, Dave.

164. shony on July 25th, 2011 2:05 pm

I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have emailed you with some information concerning a drug by a Dr. at OHSU has come up with. It helped my mother, and hopefully it may help you as well.

Take care.

165. tstream07 on July 25th, 2011 2:08 pm

Praying for you, thanks for all you do Dave.

166. halibuthank on July 25th, 2011 2:09 pm

I often have the urge to rebuke statistically-informed opinions (even on this site!) and share your fervor for believing what you want to believe. Of course, believing something doesn’t always make it true (see Justin Smoak) but it can, and does, happen. I wish this for you, Dave. I have gained much joy and laughter from reading USSM over the years and if I could give you anything back for your generosity it would be to lift your hope higher into becoming reality.

Beat it. That cancer doesn’t have anything on you.

On a similar note to the Mariners: Beat it, boys (the streak, that is).

Be well, Dave, and thanks for all you and the other great writers do here.

167. grantruby on July 25th, 2011 2:10 pm

Dave, this is terrible news, but medicine is such that today beating cancer is the norm, not the exception. I have had the unfortunate experience of knowing many people with differing cancers and I have yet to lose a friend or loved one to the disease. I hope the same for you. Fight the good fight, and you’ll be in the thoughts of all of us USSM readers.

168. Beldeus on July 25th, 2011 2:10 pm

Get better Dave. Thinking about you.

169. heygoat on July 25th, 2011 2:25 pm

I’ve been reading this blog daily for years now, and I’ve never felt compelled to add to the many excellent comments until today. I often agree with you, and almost as often disagree. I believe that, as a fan, the intangibles can be just as important as the cold hard stats…same goes for what you’re going through now. Kick this thing in the ass and get back to enlightening us soon, would ya?

170. mistersleestak on July 25th, 2011 2:25 pm

All the best to you. Get well soon!

171. parmst87 on July 25th, 2011 2:26 pm

Praying to the Lord, that Great Physician, for a complete and speedy recovery! Love your stuff, man.

172. MrZDevotee on July 25th, 2011 2:27 pm

Dave-
    Takes some amazing and unforeseen events sometimes for folks to find the same page. I’m with you on this one. All the way.

And I have an anecdote for you, that illustrates your point here perfectly. My sister had a type of cancer you’re supposed to survive (statistically speaking)– and she didn’t. While a good friend had a form of cancer you’re NOT supposed to survive (statistically speaking), and he’s 7 years clear, with no sign of anything ever being wrong (minus a missing organ).

Thoughts and prayers with you. And it absolutely MATTERS NOT what anyone else’s outcome has ever been from your disease. Even if odds are 99.9% against you, you just don’t know if you’re the .1%, or the 99.9%. In the subjective sense, those are 50-50 odds, no matter what the prognosis.

And remember- the mind is a pretty amazing drug. And can be a stimulus to healing. Plenty of research out there to show that a body can heal itself as readily from a placebo as from the very best modern medicine. You should absolutely devote yourself to this, Dave. Free yourself of all the negativity and stresses around you and center all your focus on being well, and being receptive to treatment.

Most of all… Get well. I’d love to read sometime about the amazing challenge you conquered, in a way that only you can tell!

Cheers.

173. kinbote on July 25th, 2011 2:27 pm

You’ll beat this, Dave.

174. downwarddog on July 25th, 2011 2:30 pm

Dave, you’re going to smack leukemia upside the head like Edgar Martinez hit the ball in the 1995 ALDS.

175. WildBeggar on July 25th, 2011 2:32 pm

Best wishes and prayers. Get well soon.

176. eplmania on July 25th, 2011 2:37 pm

Best of luck for your full recovery, Dave.

177. Jay R. on July 25th, 2011 2:40 pm

So sorry to hear this, Dave. I have greatly enjoyed your work here and elsewhere. I would like to personally thank you for all that work, and for helping me understand baseball far, far more deeply than I did before.

Work on getting well- we will all be here waiting for you when you are ready to come back. Hell, I bet the Mariners will have won a game or two by then.

178. Doctor No on July 25th, 2011 2:45 pm

Get well soon, Dave – you can beat this! We will be rooting for you.

179. cjseattle on July 25th, 2011 2:49 pm

Dave,

I am tempted to believe, despite logic saying otherwise, that collective prayer can be of help to anyone.

With that in mind, I cast my mental well wishes to you along with the other readers here, and hope that it helps speed you to health.

180. afterwedge on July 25th, 2011 2:58 pm

Very sorry to hear about this Dave. You’ve been and will continue to be in, my prayers. As others have said, please keep your head up. I realize that’s easy for someone relatively healthy to say, but you know it’s imperative. My 73 year old father–who is obsessed with the M’s incidentally–was in a considerably less than reassuring situation himself a few years back. At times the doctors were very bleak in their prognoses, but he did eventually make a nearly full recovery. I firmly believe that staying positive and faithful had much to do with him surviving what is often a fatal or permanently debilitating illness.

My Aunt (and surrogate mother for the first few days of my life) was diagnosed with mid-late stage Colon Cancer last month. We all know someone very close to us afflicted with some form of this awful scourge. How long will it take before we finally force the policymakers to treat this calamity on the same scale with national security? Don’t Americans realize the chances you will have the quality of your lives substantially impacted in a very adverse way by this illness, are exponentially greater than a terrorist attack accomplishing same?

It’s long past time the immense resources of the wealthiest society mankind has ever known, were made available to whatever extent necessary to eradicate this pathology which has engulfed so many.

181. terry on July 25th, 2011 3:11 pm

Dave,

My father-in-law was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia 2.5 years ago and lives in a rural setting where medical care is not cutting edge.

His leukemia is in remission (in fact he just had heart surgery).

You can do this.

182. Dobbs on July 25th, 2011 3:14 pm

Wishing you the best Dave.

183. jillsinmo on July 25th, 2011 3:29 pm

Dave,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I was just diagnosed myself with stage 111a breast cancer on June 13. I’ve already started my chemo; so I’m one third through with one third of the treatment plan. My doctors describe me as ‘very treatable, with a good chance at a cure.’ So I’m going with that. Treatment is just another thing I have to do in a day and I have kept a good attitude as I go about living. Oh, do take the anti nausea pills. It really makes it all tolerable.

My 22 year old son told me to just do what they say and go out and “kick cancer’s butt,” so lets both aim for that outcome, shall we?

184. IndieSnob on July 25th, 2011 3:42 pm

Dave, first off I am very sorry to hear about your illness and am hoping and wishing for you that you can beat this. I think you are already on the right track to beating it though. There is a lot to be said for having a positive outlook and being a fighter. Now is the time to cherish every moment of life, and fight so that you can write about the Mariners for many more years to come.

Take care.

185. KiWiNiNjA on July 25th, 2011 4:08 pm

Get well soon, Dave.

186. wayupwaydown on July 25th, 2011 4:26 pm

I have been reading this blog almost daily for a long time but rarely post. Not much I can say that hasn’t been said already.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Keep a positive attitude. Best wishes.

187. dlb on July 25th, 2011 4:45 pm

I’ve been reading this blog for years and following your ascent from a hardcore M’s fan to someone who is featured on the radio, in the WSJ, on ESPN, and to the best writer on Fangraphs. I appreciate everything you’ve done on this site and for M’s fans everywhere. Now go make cancer your bitch.

188. Jokerman on July 25th, 2011 4:55 pm

All the best to you and your family, and I know youll beat this.

189. badperson_ny on July 25th, 2011 4:56 pm

daily reader, infrequent poster weighing in…simply want to add to the well wishes here, you do great work that is this M’s fan in exile (in NYC) go-to M’s source.

190. nwade on July 25th, 2011 5:47 pm

Dave – Here’s hoping that your stint on the DL is a brief one; and that you put the longevity of Nolan Ryan and Connie Mack to shame! I look forward to much more of your writing, statistics, humor, and heart in the future. “Never give up, never surrender!”

191. Dutch on July 25th, 2011 5:47 pm

Well wishes and thoughtful prayers go out to you, Mr. Cameron. Here’s to a speedy recover.

192. dawgman79 on July 25th, 2011 5:48 pm

Dave- your page and thoughts have become part of my daily ritual. I check it every night after dinner and while I don’t always agree its my form of letting the day wind down. While I’ve never posted on here until today, I felt the the time was right to become a member and let you know how much I appreciate your work. Get well soon, and I can’t wait to read more of your work when your feeling well.

193. SunDevil1 on July 25th, 2011 5:50 pm

Best wishes. We need you.

194. Arne Olson on July 25th, 2011 5:56 pm

I’m not a regular reader of this site, but was a participant on alt.sports.sea-mariners way back in the day. Perhaps you remember me. I registered here just so I could wish you luck. My daughter was diagnosed with AML six and a half years ago, and she is doing great now. It was hard living for a long time, and a bone marrow transplant is not something I would wish on anyone. But the disease can be beaten, and it’s good to see that you are starting off with exactly the right attitude. I’m sure you are familiar with the Stephen Jay Gould piece about his battles with another blood cancer, but just in case you aren’t, here is a link: http://csn.cancer.org/node/213889. Best of luck to you in your battle ahead.

Arne

195. SonOfZavaras on July 25th, 2011 6:02 pm

I’m truly sorry to hear of this, Dave- but I’ve got every confidence you’re going to beat this after having read your post. It all starts with the mind/attitude, and it looks like yours couldn’t be any more in the right frame.

I’m pulling for you. What I know of sabermetrics, I know because you convinced me to look it up and learn.

Listen, I’ve got several friends/relatives who’ve gone through chemotherapy…and what they say about it is: there’s good days and bad days with it after you’re in treatment. They all hurt, but there’s going to be a roller-coaster internally going on. There’ll be days when you just don’t WANT to do the treatments. If it helps, when those days happen, just remember how many of us are in your corner and want to see you hale and hearty again.

Keep battlin’, Dave. And let all of us USSMariner denizens know if there’s anything (else) you’d need.

196. Section329 on July 25th, 2011 6:09 pm

This breaks my heart. You and DMZ are the ones who have educated this fan about the baseball I have loved. I so appreciate your courage in sharing this news. Feel free to borrow our hope if yours momentarily dwindles. You and your family are in my heart, prayers and thoughts.

197. awakeling on July 25th, 2011 6:16 pm

Don’t get too used to not having me around.

I don’t think we could get used to not having you here. Take care and don’t give up the fight!

198. Matt the Dragon on July 25th, 2011 6:25 pm

Dave,

Good luck and stay strong.

Prayers and best wishes from Wales.

199. Hammy57 on July 25th, 2011 6:33 pm

Best wishes and prayers go out to you Dave. Get well soon buddy.

200. Goob on July 25th, 2011 6:35 pm

You’ve got the attitude to beat it. As someone going through chemo himself, I can attest to how important that can be, cheesy motivational posters aside. Stay strong, mate, and best of luck.

201. stuafoo on July 25th, 2011 6:49 pm

So I rarely post, but have been a daily reader for many years. Yes, this is terrible news, but news isn’t the same thing as prophecy. Dave, you are a strong, passionate, and dedicated person, and you will take this fight to whatever limits you need to. You’ve become a part of the Mariner family, and if you need anything there will be people climbing over each other to give it to you. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to hearing more from you for many years to come.

202. maimster on July 25th, 2011 7:02 pm

I’ve never once posted on this blog. And since I moved out of Seattle, I don’t often read it. In fact, I didn’t even have a user name until now. However, I had to register just to tell Dave he has one more well wisher who has learned a lot about baseball, the Mariners, and open thinking through his writing. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

203. Chris Miller on July 25th, 2011 7:22 pm

Get well soon Dave. Love your writings.

204. Bryce on July 25th, 2011 7:25 pm

I remember hearing stories about how Hiroshi Yamauchi would only come to Seattle once the team got to the World Series. I used to think about how awesome it would be for him to see it after all that he did for the team.

Now I just want it to happen for Dave. Fight on, man. You need to see them get to the World Series.

205. saketumi on July 25th, 2011 7:42 pm

davey, since i heard about your illness over the weekend, i’ve written and deleted numerous postings because i don’t know what to say. i hadn’t created an account here until yesterday, but since your aunt and uncle directly me to this website a few years ago, i’ve been a frequent visitor. it’s amazing how attached one can be to someone he’s never met. i believe this is a small bump in a long and happy life. you have numerous supporter such as the faceless blogsphere (like me), baseball broadcasters, family, and amy. see you soon…

206. nodiggity on July 25th, 2011 7:57 pm

Dave. Best wishes. We are all rooting for you.

207. okinawadave on July 25th, 2011 7:59 pm

See you all when I can. Don’t get too used to not having me around.

This is the best ending you could’ve written.

I’ve been following this blog for four years and it’s completely changed the way I view baseball. Almost all due to you, Dave. Thank you and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you.

208. number19 on July 25th, 2011 8:16 pm

Dear Dave,
    I’ve been reading your blog for 5 years and I created an account just so I could post a comment here. Since I moved across the country, you are the only way I keep track of a Mariner team I never get to see and which gets no news coverage. You have completely changed how I watch and appreciate the game. Thank you for that. You’ve got the right attitude and I’d wish you luck, but I’ve been wishing the Mariners luck for years, so I don’t think that’ll do any good. Kick this thing’s ass and come back to us soon.

209. OlSalty on July 25th, 2011 8:24 pm

I’m sorry this happened to you Dave, it feels like such a hollow attempt to co-opt pain to say that and I don’t really know how you feel but I felt pretty bad when I heard about it. You basically changed the way I look at baseball and I would strongly prefer that you get better. I wish you the best of luck, and for whatever it’s worth I’m pulling for ya.

210. jared_kopp on July 25th, 2011 8:31 pm

My girlfriend who works for an organization that specializes in funding the research and treatment of leukemia suggested I pass on these words to you from one of the great athletes of our generation (steroids or not):

“Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight…If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.” – Lance Armstrong

Sounds a lot like the approach you’re taking. Don’t lose sight of it. In the mean time, study every move made by the 2010 World Champion San Francisco Giants – if that mess can win a World Series, then absolutely anything is possible.

Get better, Dave. You have much left to do in this lifetime.

Best Wishes. There is always hope.

211. The Nickster on July 25th, 2011 8:48 pm

Oh jeez. Here I came to the site looking to commiserate about the incredibly awful Mariners, and I’m blindsided by this news.

I’m a big believer that the love of sports brings people together and produces something greater than just a game, and that is what this blog has done. We are all your friends and fans, Dave, and though I have never met you, I feel that I know you. And I am pulling very, very hard for you in this fight. From the sound of things, cancer’s got a tough fight on its hands. Keep battling, man, keep fouling off those pitches til you find one you can “square up” on, and knock it outta here. You can do it.

212. SonOfZavaras on July 25th, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh yes. Forgot to mention, Dave. If they answer pagan-esque sort of prayers up there, I’m sending them off on your behalf.

213. nickwest1976 on July 25th, 2011 9:21 pm

Dave, I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife as you battle through this.

214. abun24 on July 25th, 2011 9:44 pm

Here’s to acute myeloid leukemia’s regression to the mean. Fight like hell Dave, we need you back as soon you can be ready.

215. Sinking Away on July 25th, 2011 9:45 pm

I hope I speak for all of the lurkers to this site that we are very sorry you received this diagnosis. We are so grateful to you for giving us your wonderful analysis on a daily basis. You give us you. If you need anything, please let us know. We offer our prayers (pagan-esque and otherwise) for your speedy recovery.

216. Adam S on July 25th, 2011 10:20 pm

I was so saddened to read your tweet this morning.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck in beating this.

217. georgmi on July 25th, 2011 10:32 pm

Adding my voice to the chorus. Refuse to Lose, indeed.

218. fwbrodie on July 25th, 2011 10:33 pm

Fight hard man. You can do it.

219. spkofficespace on July 25th, 2011 11:03 pm

First time, long time here: I want to send along my condolencses, support, and gratitude. Over the years, your blog is what I leaned on for all things Mariner and made me a smarter fan. The fact that you write so well only added to the twice-daily experience of checking this site. Please know that so many you have never met ( or who have never before commented) are pulling for you and are eager to support you.

220. UKDJ on July 25th, 2011 11:08 pm

Just watched a documentary on nutrition therapy and cancer that could be worth watching/considering. http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp/The_Gerson_Miracle

221. gaylordperrysplitter on July 25th, 2011 11:21 pm

While working as a journalist, going back to grad school, etc., I have always found time for USSM before all other reading… I feel like this is happening to a close friend.

Hang in there, Dave, you better stick around.

Dammit, this sucks.

222. rsrobinson on July 26th, 2011 12:44 am

Wow. I don’t know what to say Dave except may God be with you in beating this. Hang in there.

223. Techno_Viking- on July 26th, 2011 1:19 am

Dave you were one of the first writers that brought me to an enlightened state of baseball knowledge. I continue to read your fantastic writing all the time and I want to thank you for what you do for us fans. I can’t wait till you are fully recovered and healthy and I have no doubt that will happen. I will be praying for you so get better soon. We love you Dave.

224. Techno_Viking- on July 26th, 2011 1:56 am

I want to add that I hope some day I will be able to say I met Dave Cameron: One of my favorite and most influential writers and a strong man that went against leukemia won. Again I can’t wait for that day, and go beat it.

225. Greeff on July 26th, 2011 3:11 am

Like many others i credit USSM and especially you, Dave, for teaching me about the deeper meaning of baseball statistics.

I hope you get well soon, many prayers from the Netherlands!

226. Jar on July 26th, 2011 5:19 am

DAve, you are in my prayers man, Rooting for you all the way.

227. stuehler on July 26th, 2011 6:10 am

Dave,

Good luck, brother, and much love. I’m rooting for you, and looking forward to reading you for a LONG, LONG time.

Get well soon.

228. currcoug on July 26th, 2011 8:21 am

Unfortunately, I lost my sister to breast/brain cancer several years ago, and the drummer of my band just died of a rare form of leukemia. However, I have many friends and relatives who beat the odds.

Be brave and stand in there Dave…we are with you.

229. BigB on July 26th, 2011 9:07 am

Dave,

We are all pulling for you. Just like ’95, we believe. Keep your head up and get well soon.

-Brian

230. John W. on July 26th, 2011 9:56 am

Dave,

Your blog renewed my love for the Mariners. Because of your writing ability, I feel as though I really know you. (even if it’s just through baseball) I’ll donate blood and I’ll pray, but I wish I could do more.

I thank you, Derek, and everyone else for everything you guys have done, and will continue to do. You have my thoughts and prayers for as long as they are needed.

John

231. dingla on July 26th, 2011 10:37 am

Sending positive thoughts your way. Get well.

232. GarForever on July 26th, 2011 11:45 am

I’m a little late to all of this, but best wishes, Dave. I’ve learned so much thanks to this site, and having this community has made the ups and downs of Mariners baseball these last several years much easier. I, for one, am looking forward to many more years of your keen insight and analysis.

Sending all the positive energy I can muster from Virginia — get well soon!

All the best,
    Jason

233. mcfly on July 26th, 2011 11:53 am

As a two-time cancer survivor to a future one-time cancer survivor, keep up the attitude where you know you’ll kick it’s rear to the curb. I’ve been a reader here for since 04, and will continue to keep it on my daily schedule for years to come. And I fully expect you to be writing the best dang commentary for the team we both love.

I will add you to my prayer list, and the prayer list to a few churches in the area. May God bless and comfort you Dave, your wife, family and friends during the next few years.

234. Edgar4Hall on July 26th, 2011 12:33 pm

Dave I just want to first say thanks for all the knowledge that you impart to us and the genuine passion that you show about baseball. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to say two days ago that I will be praying for you and your family and that I now that you will recover. Get better and do to cancer what everyone seems to like to do to the Mariner’s: Beat it handily :) Get well soon and if you need anything, you can count on us.

235. just a fan on July 26th, 2011 1:09 pm

Dave, I really appreciate all the work you’ve done and I’ve become a smarter fan because of what you do on USSMariner and FanGraphs. I hope the treatment goes better than expected and I’ll miss the times when you will be unavailable to add content.

Get well, so that one day you can watch ol’ Carlos Peguero in the MLB All-Star game.

236. msfanmike on July 26th, 2011 1:54 pm

Wow … I was a day late in reading this post. I am very sorry to hear the bad news, Dave. Keep the faith and god-speed!

237. mlathrop3 on July 26th, 2011 2:27 pm

Dave –

Also a day late in catching up to the blog, which is rare and a testiment to the legacy you have built here. But, you have much more legacy to build. We’re not through with you yet! Get well soon.

238. bitt3 on July 26th, 2011 2:31 pm

I’m very sorry to hear about this. I will send prayers and positive thoughts. Thank you so much for the amazing work you do, and I look forward to reading it for years to come. Get well Dave!

239. Paul on July 26th, 2011 2:59 pm

USSM has deepened my appreciation of baseball, something I have enjoyed my entire life. Maybe it is a cruel twist of fate that now, when it matters most, stats and probabilities pale in relation to will to win, belief and positive thinking.

Looking forward to reading about your biggest win ever! I’ll be rooting for you all the way.

240. Brent on July 26th, 2011 4:36 pm

As someone who’s exchanged dialogue back to the early days of asbs-m with you (and truthseeker, idiot Mike, and Jimbo Jones), I too will pray for your full recovery. Good luck!

241. dmcnic on July 26th, 2011 6:05 pm

Best of luck, David. You are an inspiration at your ability to write often. Thanks for powering through this. We all are here for you and hope you continue to keep us informed.

242. littlesongs on July 26th, 2011 6:09 pm

If ever there was a moment in Mariners history for some love from the deities of horsehide and hickory, this is it. To hell with the losing streak. The Baseball Gods have unquantifiable powers to change outcomes and yours is high on their agenda. I look forward to the day when you can smile about miracles like Bobby Thomson, Kirk Gibson, and so many others.

Thank you from the heart for all you have shared about the game we love. My thoughts and prayers are with you now and in the future.

243. DLCheeZ on July 26th, 2011 6:59 pm

Dave,

At your request, and on your behalf, there is now one more pint of blood in circulation. I hope you won’t mind that it went to the Puget Sound Blood Center instead of the Red Cross. The lemon snickerdoodle that I ate afterward, again on your behalf, was delicious. Thanks!

Get well soon.

244. 68GTCS on July 26th, 2011 8:35 pm

Dave, there are just no words. I wish you and your wife strength and courage and optimism as you go through this together. And I wish you all the very best for a quick recovery.

steven

245. wabbles on July 26th, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey Dave,

Two things.

First, I just spent June 28-July 21 in the hospital for an appendectomy and complications arising therefrom. For most of those three-plus weeks, I had a nasal-gastric tube up my nose and down into my stomach. So I could only “eat” ice chips in addition to my high-sugar IV fluids. I got jabbed for blood sugar readings and then poked for insulin injections to combat the elevated blood sugar from the high-sugar IV fluids. Then the (necessary) diarrhea started. I’m out now but on a restricted diet for two weeks and lifting restrictions for four weeks. Thanks for stealing my thunder dude. :-)
    Second, I contracted bacterial meningitis (You survive viral meningitis. You die from bacterial meningitis.) in March 1967 at nine months old. I was given a 50% chance of living and a 100% chance of ending up as a “vegetable.” I ended up with hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and Teflon tubing that snakes from my brain into my abdomen, keeping me alive. But I’m here. I’m alive when everything else says I shouldn’t be.
    Just keep focused on getting your life back, back to what you were doing before this derailed things.

246. namzo on July 26th, 2011 9:45 pm

Dave,
    I hope the chemo is going well, and that you will overcome the difficulty. I am praying for you from Japan.

247. Phightin Phils on July 26th, 2011 10:09 pm

Have faith in your strength, and swing for the fences!

248. mwb on July 26th, 2011 10:11 pm

Get well; our thoughts are with you and yours.

249. wh33ls on July 26th, 2011 10:14 pm

Dave: I wish you the best. Stay positive — that will help more than anything else. If you believe you’ll beat leukemia, you will.

250. waitin_4_series on July 27th, 2011 12:16 am

Dave, I agree statistics are not helpful, if you went back 15 years ago, what would be the probability that you could be in the situation you are now; with a national following, regular radio appearances, multiple journalist publicly showing their support for you and hundreds of other supporters responding to your blog?

What was the likelihood that your open letter to Rafael Chaves would have made it to Felix Hernandez and result in a 2 hit effort and a national news story?

Grand things happen to you and for you. You are special, and your future is still ahead of you. Keep up the faith and we will keep up the prayers.

- The Postman.

251. samregens on July 27th, 2011 4:18 pm

You are the man, Dave. Heartful wishes for your full recovery.

252. ripperlv on July 29th, 2011 9:19 am

“The game’s isn’t over until it’s over.”

- Yogi -

253. JMHawkins on July 31st, 2011 10:01 am

Dave, best of luck.

254. bloody_yankees on August 1st, 2011 12:34 am

Dave, though I don’t often post, I’ve read your blog faithfully for the past several years and want to express my thanks for opening my eyes to sabermetric thinking and providing greater insight into the Mariners organization and baseball in general.

Wishing you the best of luck in your fight against luekemia. If your vociferous defense of your personal opinions is any indication, you won’t suffer from a lack of willpower. My girlfriend had luekemia as a child and came out victorious–I am confident you will achieve the same result. I’m certainly rooting for you!