One Thing Did Happen In Dallas

Dave · December 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm · Filed Under Mariners

I’m not really much of a toot-my-own-horn kind of guy, so I considered not posting about this here, but in the end I decided that it’s probably something that I should share with those of you who have been so supportive over the last few months. So, I’m putting it up on a weekend, and then we’ll get back to talking about the Mariners on Monday.

Every year at the winter meetings, the Baseball Writer’s Association of America has an annual meeting where they vote on in-house business stuff. For instance, this year they voted to add a few shows on MLB Network that will highlight the finalists for the postseason awards. At these meetings, they also vote on whether to approve new organizations and members.

On Tuesday morning, the BBWAA took a vote on whether FanGraphs should be accepted as an approved organization, and more specifically, whether I should be voted in as a new member. Both measures passed, and so beginning next season, I’ll officially be a member of the Baseball Writer’s Association of America.

While the association has earned their share of derision over the years, they’re clearly working towards a more inclusive approach that allows somewhat untraditional baseball writers to join the club and receive the privileges that go along with being recognized as an official member. I’m proud to be a member, and look forward to using the responsibility I’ve been given to improve my writing overall.

When I started writing about baseball back in, I don’t know, 1998 or so, I never imagined it would turn into a career or that I’d ever be considered an Official Baseball Writer. The world is full of interesting twists and turns, though, and I’m happy to be able to walk through this newest open door.

Comments

77 Responses to “One Thing Did Happen In Dallas”

1. The Ancient Mariner on December 9th, 2011 7:04 pm

Congratulations, Dave!

2. someday on December 9th, 2011 7:08 pm

This makes me feel good. Congratulations!

3. visbea on December 9th, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you for sharing that! You are one of the best baseball writers in the nation.

4. Tim B. on December 9th, 2011 7:17 pm

Hooray! You will increase the percentage of Seattle-based writers to vote for Edgar into the Hall of Fame. And the baseball IQ of the overall group should increase by a few points at least.

5. djdrysdale on December 9th, 2011 7:19 pm

Congratulations!

6. IwearMsHats on December 9th, 2011 7:22 pm

Saw this on FG. You need to move back to WA so you aren’t in the Braves chapter (though that could be more fun)

7. smb on December 9th, 2011 7:23 pm

Congrats, Dave! You did way more to earn it than the average member, I’d bet…more than just getting a beat job with a metro paper, anyway. Now that you can’t be disregarded by some in BBWAA as just a lowly blogger nerd, you’ll hopefully raise the bar of discourse and probably piss off the logic-resistant anti-sabre crowd to boot…and we will cheer you on all the way! Congrats and thanks for all the awesome free analysis over these past several years…

8. basebliman on December 9th, 2011 7:33 pm

So do you actually get to vote on the Hall of Fame, MVPs and Cy Youngs? That’s awesome and totally deserved. Congratulations.

9. Eric Walkingshaw on December 9th, 2011 7:35 pm

Fantastically well-deserved.

10. Dave on December 9th, 2011 7:36 pm

I won’t get a Hall of Fame vote for 10 years, but yes, I’m now part of the pool of postseason awards voters. I’ll likely be assigned to the Atlanta chapter (though DC is also possible), and will rotate through awards ballots with other writers within the chapter I’m placed in.

11. 300ZXNA on December 9th, 2011 7:49 pm

Congratulations, hopefully you will be one who helps lead the charge of enlightening the BBWAA into embracing sabermetric principles . . .

12. wabbles on December 9th, 2011 7:52 pm

Four words: Edgar For The Hall!!!!

Oh. Wait. 10 years? YIKES!

Well, anyway, a fifth word: Congratulations! You’ve certainly earned it. (Loved the “Raul Ibanez career path” explanation at Safeco Field.)

13. Westside guy on December 9th, 2011 7:52 pm

Congratulations Dave! That’s great news – thank you for sharing it with us!

14. smb on December 9th, 2011 7:59 pm

Wait, so we have a secret M’s-loving mole ready to shake the foundations of postseason awards voting from the opposite corner of the country? YES!!

15. Russ on December 9th, 2011 8:13 pm

It’s been a long time since I’ve commented on much here. Tough being a M’s fan in the last years.

However, this is some of the best news I’ve heard in awhile. This is awesome news Dave and I’m oddly proud that I’ve been reading your work for many years now. It’s kinda like my favorite band finally being “discovered”.

Congrats! It says a lot about your body of work to be recognized. Especially considering your brand of baseball analysis isn’t always endearing to most traditionalists.

Now, just get healthy and keep writing for the coming decades!

16. toshi on December 9th, 2011 8:22 pm

Congrats, Dave. It’s so nice to see BBWAA is becoming more inclusive. My belief is more inclusive the better. As a Mariner fan, I can definitely use good news now.

17. Marinersince77 on December 9th, 2011 8:25 pm

Congratulations! You do a great job writing about the sport. I have learned a lot from you and enjoy your take on the game. This is a well deserved honor!

18. qwerty on December 9th, 2011 8:33 pm

Congratulations. The paradigm has officially shifted!

19. jimabbottsrightarm on December 9th, 2011 8:52 pm

Congrats Dave…well deserved!!

20. terry on December 9th, 2011 8:53 pm

Crap, now you’ll have to have standards and integrity.

21. SonOfZavaras on December 9th, 2011 9:13 pm

Well deserved, Mr. Cameron, and well done.

Congratulations x1,000.

22. kcw2 on December 9th, 2011 9:16 pm

Well done, sir.

23. riversurge24 on December 9th, 2011 9:23 pm

Congratulations Dave.. Well done and you definitely deserve it!!

24. kmsandrbs on December 9th, 2011 9:37 pm

Well done, for you, FanGraphs, and the BBWAA.

25. mark s on December 9th, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh I see! Now you are one of “them”. By week’s end you will be writing about RBI’s, how power sluggers are better than every other player, and how team chemistry is needed to building a winning tradition!

Seriously, congratulations Dave. You have done a lot of great work and have earned this.

26. The_Waco_Kid on December 9th, 2011 10:06 pm

Congrats, Dave! You deserve it. Don’t feel too arrogant for posting it, we’re glad to know.

27. Leroy Stanton on December 9th, 2011 10:13 pm

I guess that means you’re now Geoff Baker’s equal…

28. BLYKMYK44 on December 9th, 2011 10:15 pm

So the minute you found out did you immediately start thinking Tim Raines wasn’t very good and Jim Morris was a gamer? Or does that slowly infect you for 10 years?

29. Jim_H on December 9th, 2011 10:17 pm

Excellent news Dave. Very well deserved!

30. pinky on December 9th, 2011 10:39 pm

Congrats! That’s awesome!

31. SteveDavey on December 9th, 2011 10:47 pm

Congratulations. That is a terrific honor.

32. B on December 9th, 2011 11:02 pm

Congratulations! You deserve it.

33. ThundaPC on December 9th, 2011 11:46 pm

Wonderful news! Good stuff!

34. gwangung on December 9th, 2011 11:54 pm

Congratulations…(and I feel far more enthusiastic about the recognition than being able to vote on the Hall of Fame…though both are pretty neat)….

35. Mariners35 on December 10th, 2011 12:02 am

Congrats!

36. CSM on December 10th, 2011 12:35 am

Although I think you can be a bit pessimistic at times(although i’m sure you would consider it being realistic) you have earned every cent of recognition that the BBWAA has bestowed upon you and the rest of the fangraphs writers. Congratulations Dave.

37. Colm on December 10th, 2011 12:51 am

Congratulations Dave. I’ve enjoyed reading your insights and analyses for the past, oh, almost nine years now. Well earned, sir.

I wish you a long successful career and look forward to you getting that HOF vote.

38. weasleman42 on December 10th, 2011 4:00 am

This is great for you and Mariners nation. Congratulations!

39. IdahoFan on December 10th, 2011 4:07 am

Congratulations Dave! Thankful that you were feeling good enough to attend the meetings. This is well deserved.

Merry Christmas sir!

40. idahowriter on December 10th, 2011 5:11 am

Congratulations, Dave. Hard work always pays off.

41. Ben Ramm on December 10th, 2011 5:12 am

Yes, it was 1998. Congratulations.

42. msb on December 10th, 2011 5:21 am

Oh, Dave, keep the good news coming :)

I feel all avuncular.

Avauntular?

43. dchappelle on December 10th, 2011 5:45 am

Congrats! It really is impressive of the BBWAA to realize the changing nature of sports writers.

44. rsrobinson on December 10th, 2011 6:06 am

Congrats, Dave.

45. ivan on December 10th, 2011 6:09 am

Keep up the good work Dave. Health and long life.

46. Colorado Mariner Fan on December 10th, 2011 7:50 am

Dave – It’s a rare occurrence nowadays when someone with a public following realizes an achievement based solely on merit. Today, you are that guy. Congratulations! You (and FanGraphs) make a fine and well-deserved addition to the BBWAA.

47. msb on December 10th, 2011 7:56 am

Now they need to admit SBNation exists…

48. epeyt88 on December 10th, 2011 8:13 am

Congrats!

49. ericpitt on December 10th, 2011 8:31 am

Congratulations! I’m glad your fine baseball reasoning is gaining further official recognition

50. spankystout on December 10th, 2011 8:51 am

Great to hear! So is Derek Jeter your first gold glove vote? :)

51. BillyJive on December 10th, 2011 8:57 am

Congrats Dave. Even though I don’t always agree with your opinions you have opened my eyes to a new way of looking at baseball…and I thank you for that.

52. MrZDevotee on December 10th, 2011 9:56 am

Congrats Dave! Although a part of me worries about the effect on your health…

So, I have to ask… Can you please refrain from banging your head against the wall too hard when sitting around a table with a bunch of senior Baseball Writers, who explain to you they were “writing about RBI’s when you were still in DIAPERS!”

(kidding)
    Congrats!

53. ck on December 10th, 2011 10:01 am

Congratulations, Dave! I am looking forward to many more years of great analysis. I hope your credentials will permit access to sources that might not yet know you, and then your own sincerity will build relationships all around baseball. I hope that you will continue USS Mariner forever.

54. PackBob on December 10th, 2011 10:16 am

Good work, Dave. And by that I mean you have put out an amazing amount of good work over the years. It’s nice to see good work recognized. Have fun!

55. moyerLIVES on December 10th, 2011 10:35 am

What a cool thing. Congratulations Dave.

56. Sriram on December 10th, 2011 10:36 am

Congrats Dave!

57. GarForever on December 10th, 2011 10:46 am

Excellent news, and well-deserved! Congratulations, Dave.

58. thedude1987 on December 10th, 2011 11:27 am

Oh, snap! congrats Dave. Mariners represent.

59. awakeling on December 10th, 2011 11:46 am

This is the best thing to happen to the best baseball writer in the modern era. Congratulations!

60. Swungonandbelted on December 10th, 2011 12:10 pm

Congratulations Dave!

61. thedude1987 on December 10th, 2011 1:14 pm

i think the best thing that has happened to the best baseball writer in the modern era is when he dominated his health issues.

62. bubba_gump on December 10th, 2011 1:49 pm

What a year it has been for you, Dave. Congratulations!

63. yofarbs on December 10th, 2011 1:56 pm

Open-minded thinking by the BBWA leads to a great decision. Congratulations, Dave.

64. mwb on December 10th, 2011 2:21 pm

Congratulations!

65. vertigoman on December 10th, 2011 2:26 pm

Awesome. You rock!
    I think it would be very appropriate to conduct a legit BBWAA phone interview with Chuck Armstrong from your mother’s mysterious basement of baseball analysis.

Congratulations dude.

66. Bryce on December 10th, 2011 2:27 pm

Congrats, Dave. From alt.sports.baseball.seattle-mariners to the BBWAA. Who knew? I demand you change your twitter picture to one where you’re wearing a fedora and are chewing on an unlit cigar.

67. kenshabby on December 10th, 2011 3:12 pm

Congratulations on something well-earned. Since I became an Official Serious Consumer of Baseball Knowledge about 5 years ago I ‘ve been an avid reader of Fangraphs and of your writing. No doubt this signifies another positive shift in the paradigm of baseball journalism and analysis.

68. Carson on December 10th, 2011 5:54 pm

Congrats, Dave. Not bad for a nerd in his mother’s basement.

Seriously, though, you deserved some good karma. In ten years, I trust you’ll use this power for good and vote for deserving HOF members.

69. harry on December 10th, 2011 8:23 pm

Congratulations, Dave. Well deserved. Been reading you for years, and you’re, quite seriously, the most thoughtful and insightful public baseball analyst I’ve come across.

70. JerBear on December 10th, 2011 9:08 pm

Frick, Dave – quit sounding so apologetic every time you talk about yourself. :) That’s a hell of a well-deserved accomplishment, and we’re all thrilled for you!

71. henryv on December 10th, 2011 9:51 pm

Congratulations Dave.

And also, I’m sorry, because of the whole “being in a world-famous organization that has a website that looks like it’s from 1994″ thing.

72. stevemotivateir on December 11th, 2011 9:31 am

Congratulations Dave! Very good news!! You certainly deserved this!

73. section331 on December 11th, 2011 10:29 am

Awesome! It is a decision they will not regret, for sure. Good job, Dave! :)

74. davepaisley on December 11th, 2011 2:04 pm

Fantastic news, Dave. Well done, and very well deserved.

Couldn’t be happier for you.

And good for the BBWAA who are, it appears, changing in significant ways for the better.

75. Zero Gravitas on December 11th, 2011 4:22 pm

Awesome news-congratulations!

76. StatisticallyInsignificant on December 12th, 2011 10:56 am

Congrats Dave!

77. downwarddog on December 14th, 2011 12:49 pm

What amazing news! Many congratulations. You couldn’t deserve it more than you do!