Cactus League Game 5, Reds at Mariners
I’m throwing this up good and early because I won’t be around later when the game actually starts. Yesterday’s thread was a bit disappointing though, as is usually the experience whenever I try to throw in a gameday post on a non-radio, non-TV day. Should I continue? Should I persist in throwing my efforts into the void? Here are some things that happened yesterday:
* Dustin Ackley had every part of the cycle except the home run. This was only because he didn’t get a fourth at-bat.
* Iwakuma threw mostly in the mid-to-high 80s and touched 90. Most of his pitches were identified as splitters or sinkers. He was pulled early after a bunch of errors behind him sent him to 30+ pitches in the first. (The M’s made five errors in all and had one assist from Trayvon).
* Sherrill was mid-to-high 80s as well, but maybe a little less than Iwakuma. Sherrill is usually a slow starter in spring training so this may not be a deal.
* The scrubs did damage late in the game. Through the fifth, the Mariners scored five runs, and in the final four innings, they scored eight. Included here: Adam Moore hitting a home run to right-center.
* Our top three pitching prospect all pitched in a B game against the Reds. That article has quotes, but Shannon’s article has gun readings that really liked what Hultzen was doing.
So now we’re here and the Mariners are going to send up Felix today. We all like Felix, right? Go and watch this. We really love Felix.