It’s Time For Miguel Olivo To Be Accountable

Dave · April 11, 2012 at 7:40 am · Filed Under Mariners

Eric Wedge is big on accountability, and last night, he benched Brendan Ryan for an issue that he chalked up to that very reason. We could debate the merits of this kind of public-punishment leadership style, but that’s probably another post. The reality is that Wedge has made it clear that if you screw up, your spot in the line-up is in danger.

Unless, of course, your name is Miguel Olivo.

The Mariners have played 53 innings of baseball so far this year – Olivo has been behind the plate for every single one of them. John Jaso is the only position player who has not yet seen any action in 2012, and it’s pretty clear that Wedge intends on playing Olivo just as frequently as he did last year, when Olivo made 120 starts and caught 1,064 of the team’s 1,433 innings. And it apparently doesn’t matter how many times Olivo fails to perform the basic fundamental tasks asked of a catcher – his playing time is just not in jeopardy.

Take last night, for instance. In the second inning, Adrian Beltre led off with a double to put a man in scoring position. Blake Beavan then got Michael Young to bounce back to the mound, and they were able to get Beltre out at third. Young was able to advance to second on the play, however, so the situation remained the same – man in scoring position, one out.

Then, on the 1-1 pitch to Nelson Cruz, Beavan threw this 75 MPH curveball:

The pitch was down in the zone and a little bit outside, but it was a fairly routine stop for any Major League catcher. Olivo stabbed at the ball rather than dropping to his knees (catching 101), and the ball got away from him, so Young moved up to third base. He would then score on an infield single by David Murphy, and that would end up being the only run in the game. It’s not fair to say that Olivo’s misplay was the only reason they lost, but it directly led to the only run the team allowed all night, and it is fair to say that Olivo has no excuse for not stopping that pitch.

You know, except for the fact that he’s apparently unwilling or unable to become a reasonably passable defensive catcher.

Miguel Olivo broke in to the Major Leagues in 2003, starting 98 games for the White Sox as a rookie. Despite being just a part-time player, he still managed to allow 8 passed balls, third most in the American League. Since then, here’s his season passed ball totals and where they rank in his respective league:

2004 – 13 (2nd)
2005 – 7 (in only 690 IP, dumped by Mariners at midseason)
2006 – 10 (1st)
2007 – 16 (1st)
2008 – 4 (injured, only started 56 games)
2009 – 10 (1st)
2010 – 10 (1st)
2011 – 11 (3rd)

Last year was the first time in five years that Olivo had been healthy and not led his league in passed balls. He was eclipsed only by Toronto rookie J.P. Arencibia and Boston’s Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who was tasked with catching knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, so in reality, his PB total requires a large asterisk.

And, as we saw last night, a lot of easily stopped balls end up getting classified as wild pitches by the official scorer, and Olivo doesn’t take any kind of official hit for those. You will probably not be shocked to learn that, in addition to the official passed balls, the Mariners threw 68 “wild pitches”, fifth most in baseball. It’s impossible to know just how many of those wild pitches were actually balls that Olivo should have stopped, but you can bet there were more than a couple.

Catching the ball is the basic fundamental skill required of the position – it’s why they’re called “Catchers”. Miguel Olivo is absolutely terrible at this, and has been for a very long time. He’s the active leader in passed balls by a mile – he has 92, the next highest is Ramon Hernandez at 78 – and he has almost twice as many as the #4 guy on the list. That guy, Yadier Molina, has almost exactly the same number of career innings behind the dish, coming out at 7,715 compared to Olivo’s 7,700. Molina has allowed 48 passed balls. Now, he’s the best defensive catcher in the sport, but we’re talking 44 extra passed balls, or about six extra PB every single year. And again, this doesn’t count the ones that aren’t called passed balls like the pitch Beavan threw last night.

If Eric Wedge is going to bluster about “playing the game the right way” and “being accountable”, Miguel Olivo should be on the bench today. In reality, he should be on the bench most days, as he is a disaster of a baseball player, and has no future with this organization. Since signing back with the M’s, he’s posted a .247 on base percentage. Two-Forty-Seven. He refuses to stop chasing pitches out of the zone, and is the easiest out in the line-up every single night. He’s abysmal defensively. He’s 33, and thankfully in the last year of his contract. That he’s still playing every day for a rebuilding team with a legitimate alternative (or two, if you think Montero is ready to catch occasionally) is a legitimate problem, and Wedge’s love affair with Olivo is not only costing the team wins but undermines this entire concept of accountability.

Miguel Olivo is perhaps of the least fundamentally sound player in the sport. He either cannot or will not improve on his obvious flaws. And yet, he plays. Every single day.

It’s ridiculous and it should come to an end. If Jack needs to release Olivo in order to get him out of the line-up, so be it. Olivo brings nothing to the table that can’t be easily replaced, and the team would be better off with him letting balls roll to the backstop in another uniform.

Comments

56 Responses to “It’s Time For Miguel Olivo To Be Accountable”

1. msb on April 11th, 2012 7:43 am

You’ll need a whole ‘nother column to address the batting and baserunning.

2. mebpenguin on April 11th, 2012 7:53 am

But he had the most home runs and RBIs on the team last year! *snark*

3. matthew on April 11th, 2012 8:00 am

This post is why I love this website. Thank you Dave.

4. wsm on April 11th, 2012 8:06 am

I find it hard to believe Jack expected much more than this out of Olivo when he handed out that contract a year and a half ago. Olivo was intentionally brought in to be the everyday catcher with Jack knowing full well he would be an easy out and a passed ball machine.

We’re stuck with Olivo, and for whatever reason that’s the way Jack wants it.

5. Dave on April 11th, 2012 8:09 am

Olivo was brought in to be a part-time player and veteran mentor to Adam Moore. Then Adam Moore was bad, and then Adam Moore got hurt, so Olivo got the starting job by default. And Wedge is the one who refuses to even consider any kind of job share at this point.

Jack acquired Jaso for a reason. It’s the manager, not the GM, who isn’t playing him.

6. shortbus on April 11th, 2012 8:13 am

Can we fit Olivo with VR goggles so he thinks he’s batting when he’s catching and vice-versa? Seems like his problems are the inverse…he refuses to go after pitches when catching and refuses not to when hitting.

I so hate Olivo. My friends say “he was the best hitter on the M’s last year,” because of the home runs. Is Wedge that foolish?

7. Adam S on April 11th, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks. Agree with all. I asked on Twitter before I saw this column, but is there a “why”?

We’re very analytical about players and focused on what we can measure and things like OPS and wOBA. But even if you ignore “complex” analysis is there a way to see Olivo as so much better than Jaso that you wouldn’t split playing time? I.e., do you have any idea what Wedge is thinking? Is it Olivo’s strong arm and perception (reality) of power that keep him in the lineup and obscure the fact that he can’t hit and can’t catch?

I know you aren’t crazy about Montero’s defense but could Montero-Wells as the C-DH combo be worse than status quo?

8. bookbook on April 11th, 2012 8:15 am

On the one hand, I don’t want to overreact to bad playing time decisions during the first ten games of the season.

On the other hand, it was a bad decision to start Olivo last night. Even if he was a good catcher with a somewhat decent OBP, playing your 33-year-old behind the dish for 6 games in a row seems a bit overmuch.

I’m looking forward to seeing Jaso.

9. Westside guy on April 11th, 2012 8:17 am

Well said, sir.

It sure would be interesting to know if the GM and the Manager ever have conversations about Jaso’s consistently riding the pine. Maybe he doesn’t ride the pine “the right way”.

10. Dave on April 11th, 2012 8:19 am

The “why” is pretty simple – Jaso had a bad spring (just like Iwakuma, who is the only pitcher not to be used), and Wedge doesn’t value walks properly. It’s the same reason he fell in love with Carlos Peguero last year, and only warmed up to Mike Carp once he started swinging at everything.

Eric Wedge is a bad evaluator of talent. It’s that simple.

11. slimjim on April 11th, 2012 8:33 am

What’s interesting is Jose Molina (who is reputed to be a great defensive catcher and is the best at framing pitches we’ve recently learned) has the exact same issue – meaning he just stabs at balls like that, doesn’t move his feet. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him jump way up the list of passed balls if he gets the expected jump in playing time with Tampa this year.

12. erik.randall on April 11th, 2012 8:41 am

Dave -

why does Z keep hiring these fundamentally flawed managers? First it was Wak with his obsession over the bunt now it is swing at everything Wedge. Why can’t Z find a manager that appropriately values things?

13. Mariners35 on April 11th, 2012 8:48 am

I’m not quite in Milton-Bradley’s-t-shirt territory on Wedge, but I have to admit I’m more interested in today’s lineup than I have been all spring training and season so far.

I agree 100% with your post.

I wonder if there is a way to convert wild pitches and passed balls into runs given up, and from there into a negative win value. I suspect there’s a lot of contextual info needed – like what you cite in this post, where the “wild pitch” didn’t directly cause the run to score, but pretty much made it a near-certainty it would.

Essentially I’m looking for an additional credible number to use, to rant about Olivo. “This ‘catcher’ is so below par, he specifically cost his team 4 wins. Not ‘wins’ as an abstract statistic… I mean, the Mariners would have won 4 more games last year.” That sort of thing.

14. Dave on April 11th, 2012 8:53 am

It’s on FanGraphs – it’s called RPP, and it’s based on the work of Bojan Koprivica. Olivo was 8 runs below average at blocking pitches last year.

Here’s the leaderboard. The gap between Wieters and Olivo, just at this one aspect of the game, was +1.5 wins.

15. Farmer Cam on April 11th, 2012 8:59 am

but, but… Olivo brings Mike Sweeney-esque intangibles to the table. That and he’s not to fond of taking pitches… sounds like Wedge’s kind of player to me.

16. Paul B on April 11th, 2012 9:09 am

Yes. Yes he is. Dingers over OBP every time for Wedge. Aggressiveness at the plate over patience. I have heard his say that, and his lineup selections reinforce it. My biggest fear is that he will ruin some of the Mariner prospects by forcing them to be too agressive.

it is no coincidence that the Mariners were last in the league in walks last year, and (small sample size be damned) are on pace to be last in the league again this year.

Wedge seems to be a motivator, and he has some postives as a manager, but he has really serious shortcomings in the areas of talent evaluation.

I seriously doubt he knows what measures like OPS+ or WAR are. I also doubt he ever looks at platoon splits.

17. nwade on April 11th, 2012 9:21 am

Damn, Dave… You know how to fire things up! I don’t hate Wedge, but I agree that he seems to have some seriously-irksome flaws as a manager.

Honestly, I don’t want a manager who’s a total “stat-head” because I don’t think that such a person could handle a clubhouse full of young, rowdy athletes and perform the proper manager/leader/father duties (and I say this as an IT guy with a lot of leadership training under my belt – so I’m not sneering at intelligent leaders in general)… But I want a Manager that’s open to outside counsel and is willing to listen/learn; and from the outside looking in, it certainly appears like the man is stuck in a certain mental mode. Frustrating!

18. fwbrodie on April 11th, 2012 9:21 am

Yes! Let’s get loud about our disgust with Miguel Olivo. He’s an atrocious inadequacy offensively and defensively who gets by on “tough” facial expressions that mask his ignorance and teen-range HR’s. How do they dump Jose Lopez and sign catcher-Jose Lopez in the first place?

19. smb on April 11th, 2012 9:27 am

I think the thing that bothers me the most about that play is how freaking lazy it is to try to backhand-stab that ball…nevermind that fact it’s almost impossible to stop a curve in the dirt like that, it’s more about how easy it is to block that ball if you just square up to it and drop to your knees–it will bounce off your chest protector every time. Pure fundamentals…a little league catcher will catch hell for trying to block a ball like that, so how does a ML catcher get away with it when his coach is foaming at the mouth about accountability all the time?

20. auldguy on April 11th, 2012 9:27 am

What are the chances that Olivo is among that group of players(Millwood, Figgins, Saunders, Sherrill, League)being given playing time solely to establish (hopefully) a decent value for potential trades at/before the deadline? Frankly, as much as I like what he did with the bat last year, if Carp were playing, I’d have to put him in that group too.

21. Logger on April 11th, 2012 9:28 am

I dread Olivo coming to the plate. I have already moved on when he steps into the batter’s box.

Dave, what is the likelihood that this problem gets fixed, meaning what are the chances that Jack Z would actually release Olivo or fire Wedge?

22. Westside guy on April 11th, 2012 9:35 am

fwbrodie, I’d finally managed to suppress the similarities between Olivo and Lopez in my minc, mainly by not thinking about Lopez having been a Mariner. Thanks for bringing those thoughts back.

auldguy, last year Wedge specifically held up Olivo as a guy who plays the game the right way, and who has (I believe these were his exact words) “a good approach at the plate.” Miguel is getting playing time because Wedge thinks he’s good – plain and simple.

23. msfanmike on April 11th, 2012 9:36 am

Great post Dave. Spot-on. Olivo is simply
    Terrible and I can’t believe Wedge does not notice. If Olivo was the glue that binds the starting rotation together, I can see the Manager sticking with that type of guy. However, he is not that type of guy. Everyone (especially pitchers) notice back hand or reverse hand stabs at balls when footwork and turning yourself into a human backstop is required. I don’t get it. I don’t like it. It makes no sense. It shines an unfavorable light on Wedge, but it does seem to fit his unrelenting determination to do things his way … Regardless of how stupid they are. You can’t “fix” stupid.

24. Sports on a Schtick on April 11th, 2012 9:36 am

Has Olivo ever tried to go down to block a pitch? I swear he’s like Yuni back there. Miguel probably has the physical tools to be a decent catcher but there’s a disconnect between his skills and effort.

25. Mariners35 on April 11th, 2012 9:37 am

That RPP puts it just as starkly as I was envisioning. Thanks.

26. MikeMLT on April 11th, 2012 9:48 am

On Wedge and walks. His Cleveland teams took their fair share of walks, finishing in the top half of the league every year but his first. In fact Cleveland was 4th in the AL in walks for 4 straight years. I don’t understand the apparent change. Does Wedge see this as a process where a hitter is aggressive first and then develops patience? Hard to reconcile his words as Ms skipper with the results he had in Cleveland.

27. msfanmike on April 11th, 2012 10:00 am

Even harder to understand with the knowledge that Wedge (as a player) led the NCAA in walks his last season in College. I am not sure if there has ever been an accurate translation of his “be aggressive” mantra, for us unholy fans, but the players sure seem to have translated it into having a particular aversion to walks.

28. fwbrodie on April 11th, 2012 10:04 am

BTW, why in the hell did Olivo slide into first last night? He cost the Mariners a second run with that stupid move.

29. seizethecarp on April 11th, 2012 10:07 am

I literally fast-forward the DVR EVERY TIME Olivo comes to the plate and swear at the TV every time he stabs at a ball he should slide and smother. Completely tired of this guy.

30. PackBob on April 11th, 2012 10:27 am

Olivo is the opposite of the John Olerud effect on defense.

Olivo just has the kind of eyes that Wedge can’t get enough of.

31. Celadus on April 11th, 2012 10:32 am

There’s an article in Beyond the Box Score (late March) concerning manager wins all time based on win expectancy. Not all the results pass the sniff test (McGraw is in the top five worst managers) but Wedge is rated 6th worst.

It rates by total wins above or below win expectancy, and does not have a wins/losses per year category or Wedge would rate even lower.

A second rating by WAR rates Wedge as 2nd worst.

Subjectively he rates as one of the five worst I’ve seen, mostly due to his inflexibility (plays same players all the time, does not pinch hit, etc.).

32. charliebrown on April 11th, 2012 10:58 am

The fact that Zduriencik hasn’t simply released Olivo yet makes me wonder if he somehow overvaluing Olivo too.

33. appleshampoo on April 11th, 2012 10:58 am

Please someone print this out, fold it up, and hand it to Eric Wedge or another coach before a game, ala Felix in 2007.

34. Ibuprofen on April 11th, 2012 11:08 am

You summed up the thoughts of the fanbase into one fantastic post, thank you Dave.

35. refusetolose on April 11th, 2012 11:36 am

Everybody else,

Watching Miguel Olivo hit is much more frustrating then watching him catch. He threw out Cowgill in Japan in extra innings to help save the M’s a chance at the game. He threw out Kinsler yesterday. He’s thrown out 34% of base stealers over his career.

Brian Mccann-24%
    Jason Kendall-29%
    Gerald Laird, a guy comparable to Olivo? 37%

Olivo seems to be “performing the basic job of a catcher” somewhat better than you think. At least more competantly than you describe.

Just like official scoring of WP/PB, we don’t even know how many successful base stealers stole off the pitchers!

If Wakefield gets special consideration, then so does catching Felix, where nothing is straight.

I love sabermetrics as much as the next guy, and I love several of your stats, like BABIP and all that, but don’t call Wedge a bad “evaluator of talent.” Who do you want us to get? Greg Zaun again? Another stopgap like at every position. Last off-season you wanted me to get excited about possibly signing Ryan Theriot.

Just who do you like Dave?

36. TherzAlwaysHope on April 11th, 2012 11:40 am

Not questioning the premise of the post, but I wonder if Olivo was crossed up on the pitch. He looked surprised to me. If not, it’s bad.

37. Arron on April 11th, 2012 11:43 am

This needs to be an Open Letter to Z and Wedge like the one about Felix a few years ago.

Well done.

38. Ibuprofen on April 11th, 2012 11:46 am

refusetolose, Dave wasn’t doubting Olivo’s arm in the post. That’s generally accepted to be his one strong point behind the plate. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s awful at the single most important part of catching, which is catching the ball itself.

Also, Olivo hasn’t caught Felix his entire career. The fact that he led the league in passed balls in years he didn’t catch Felix further suggests how bad he is behind the plate.

39. fwbrodie on April 11th, 2012 11:55 am

Seems like a great opportunity to burn a lesson into Montero’s memory. Put the tape in for the catcher group, make a scene, bench Olivo, explain to Montero why it’s unacceptable. Boom.

40. hookemdevils22 on April 11th, 2012 12:10 pm

@auldguy…
    Not sure how much trade value can be established for a guy with a career defensive WAR of -.5 (and who was 1.0/-.8 last year in oWAR/dWAR). Surely there has to be a better catcher SOMEWHERE in the organization.

41. IdahoInvader on April 11th, 2012 12:11 pm

refusetolose and Wedge apparently have the same memory disease.

They both “forgot” about Jaso. Ironically, the ONLY Mariner on the roster who had ever gotten a hit off of Feliz.

Part of the basic function of a catcher is to not let the ball get past you so many times and to hit at somewhat close to the major league averages in OPS or at least OBP. Miggie doesn’t come close to doing anything like that.

So who would he like? Probably the guy we already HAVE to play against RHP. Hey, Jaso was good enough to get plenty of playing time for the PLAYOFF BOUND Rays the last two years.

42. hookemdevils22 on April 11th, 2012 12:12 pm

Oh, and it’s even more surprising considering Z was such has been so much of a defensive-minded and advanced-stats oriented GM. I truly don’t get it.

43. Ibuprofen on April 11th, 2012 12:20 pm

Dave, since you mentioned it in the post, what do you think are the chances Olivo is actually released once the roster crunch inevitably happens upon the return of Carp and Guti? My respect for GMZ would shoot up even more if that were to happen.

44. G-Man on April 11th, 2012 1:20 pm

Any chance they could be showcasing him? Hoping to trade him for a bag of balls?

Hey, I can dream.

45. stevemotivateir on April 11th, 2012 1:31 pm

I fully expected (coming into the season) Olivo, Ryan, Figgins, Vargas, Beavan, and Noesi, to be moved sometime during the season. Olivo would seemingly be the easiest to lose, because his salary isn’t that high, and we have immediate replacements available. The big question is when?

46. Paul B on April 11th, 2012 1:49 pm

I don’t think so. Look at where he sets up, his glove is pretty close to where the ball ends up. It isn’t like he set up inside and the ball was outside. It was lower and farther outside than he wanted it, but not by that much.

Any chance they could be showcasing him?

I’d bet money that every major league scout knows all about Olivo, both his strengths and weaknesses. It isn’t like he has changed anything, his hitting and fielding have been the same for years now.

So, no point in “showcasing” him.

47. djw on April 11th, 2012 2:03 pm

Front offices are a great deal more savvy than they were 10 years ago. Olivo is a truly atrocious player on offense and defense, and it’s pretty obvious (unless you’re name is Eric Wedge). Who’s going to trade for him? What organization doesn’t currently have better internal options?

48. just a fan on April 11th, 2012 2:08 pm

Dave, I don’t need to read a word of this post to concur in full.

Darvish would’ve been a good matchup for Jaso, a RH with great stuff but who can lose the zone from time to time.

Hopefully Olivo continues to hit .125 and Wedge finally sees the ocean from the beach.

49. currcoug on April 11th, 2012 2:20 pm

Sorry if this is old news…but Jaso DH, Montero catching tonight…according to Seattle Clubhouse.

50. MrZDevotee on April 11th, 2012 2:23 pm

Most fascinating point in here to me is that Jaso actually had a hit off Feliz… That would make him THE ONLY GUY on our roster who had done it going into last night.

Followed closely by the point that the guy was good enough to get considerable playing time on a PLAYOFF CONTENDING team in Tampa.

So Joe Maddon is cool with him in the lineup (even leading off) but Wedge can’t bear to see him play, on a team with no top tier catcher?

So Wedge PURPOSELY put his worst catcher behind the plate, who NORMALLY DH’s, while putting his best catcher in the same lineup at DH. (This almost screams of Wedge being forced from higher up to play Jaso, and his answer is to bat him 9th and not let him catch… Maybe there’s tension between Wedge and Z about player choices?)

Either way– Logic, meet an open window, and fly, fly away…

51. Paul B on April 11th, 2012 2:26 pm

I’m not Dave, but I just heard Dave say on 710 that the most likely candidates to head to Tacoma when Carp and Guti come back are Wells and Liddi.

That seems most likely to me, too, based on what we know about Wedge.

52. Paul B on April 11th, 2012 2:33 pm

One point that needs to be made about Jaso, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, is that Tampa was willing to trade him because he didn’t hit in 2011.

He went from a 111 OPS+ in 2010 to an 85 in 2011. So, from performance you would love to see from the catcher spot in your lineup, to something you’d expect of a backup catcher.

In 2010 he had more walks that strikeouts. I don’t know if that is repeatable. And I believe that is a skill set that Wedge doesn’t value, making it more unlikely to be repeated.

Anyway, my point is, we don’t know whether Jaso can return to being a valuable hitter or not. But since the M’s aren’t going anywhere this year, it makes loads of sense to find out if he is fixable, especially since Olivo isn’t going to be part of the future anyway.

53. just a fan on April 11th, 2012 3:12 pm

“Oh, and thirdly, he’s arguably the best defensive catcher on the roster, yet Wedge plays him at DH while he plays the OTHER catching sub– who is arguably the worst catching prospect in the majors defensively– INSTEAD of Jaso.”

Except that Montero is a prospect, and presumably the M’s traded for him with the idea of giving him a chance to develop into a passable catcher.

54. stevemotivateir on April 11th, 2012 4:18 pm

@djw

Who said anything about trading? I said “lose”. I don’t see him has having much trade value, unless we were exchanging bad players.

55. MrZDevotee on April 11th, 2012 5:23 pm

Just A Fan-
    Agreed, but it’s just weird to play them both, and put Montero behind the plate… Seems like Jaso should spell Olivo, when Montero is at DH, and when Montero catches, you’d play a better batter at DH.

I’d gather we’re still trying to put out best chance at winning on the field– in that sense, Montero is a better DH than Jaso, and Jaso is a better major league catcher than Montero. So why ding yourself in two positions, unnecessarily (granted, Montero is still hitting in this case, but still…).

56. JoshJones on April 12th, 2012 11:44 am

Perhaps Wedge is planning to ease Jaso into the majority of starts at C. I know it’s probablly not “measurable” as you would like it to be. But sometimes too much change can really mess with a team, a pitcher, and the chemistry of everyone involved.
    Everyone apparently “loves” Olivo in the clubhouse. The pitchers “love” pitching to Olivo…which makes no sence based on everything you said.
    There’s a comfort level thats been established with the pitching staff and Eric Wedge. Perhaps last night was the ice breaker in the process…Lets hope!