Game 38, Mariners at Red Sox

Dave · May 15, 2012 at 11:34 am · Filed Under Mariners

Beavan vs Beckett, 1:05 pm.

Josh Beckett is struggling mightily, and his velocity is down significantly, so this match-up isn’t quite as bad for the Mariners as the names suggest. Beavan probably can’t keep the Red Sox offense down by himself, though, so the offense is going to have to get to Beckett or the Red Sox fairly shaky bullpen.

Munenori Kawasaki getting his second straight start against a right-hander with Brendan Ryan back on the bench. He played the last few days against lefties, but clearly, his playing time is in jeopardy. If the M’s had a better option, okay, but Kawasaki isn’t it. It will be interesting to see how how this situation plays out, as there are several teams in the market for a decent veteran shortstop, and even with his lack of offense this year, his price tag and his defense would make him a tradeable piece. If Wedge is ready to give up on Ryan as his regular shortstop (and the front office isn’t prepared to overrule him on that decision), a trade might end up being the best option. Ryan’s glove is good enough that he should be playing most days, but given his age and injury issues, he’s probably not a long term solution. If a team like the Brewers (who just lost Alex Gonzalez for the season) came calling, Jack should probably see what they’re offering. There’s no real internal options to take over on a regular basis, but the Mariners are in a better position to punt production from shortstop than a legitimate contender, so if they have to go with some waiver claim/AAA guy for the rest of the year, it’s not the end of the world.

Also, Jaso back in the #2 spot in the order. Huzzah. Glad to see this has stuck, at least in the short term. Kudos to Wedge for making this move.

Ackley, 2B
Jaso, C
Ichiro, RF
Montero, DH
Seager, 3B
Smoak, 1B
Carp, LF
Saunders, CF
Kawasaki, SS

Comments

73 Responses to “Game 38, Mariners at Red Sox”

1. 9inningknowitall on May 15th, 2012 11:41 am

Although I love having Ryan on the team I would totally understand trading him as long as another player is brought in to play SS other then Kawasaki all the time. I’m still on board with trading League as well.

I actually like this lineup today, I know its not great compared to most MLB teams but compared to what the M’s have put out in the past two years I can live with it for the time being.

2. Celadus on May 15th, 2012 12:04 pm

Is Triunfel a legitimate short-term option yet?

3. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 12:07 pm

I’d hate to see Ryan go, since a) I really enjoy watching awesome defenders at their craft; and b) the media would probably call it as a trade of an underperforming player. But with this young team, and Ryan being 30 years old, I can see the logic of trading him and would live with it.

But boy, I’d miss him.

4. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 12:12 pm

Crap on a crap cracker – apparently Gutierrez’s heel issues are persisting. Wedge says a late June return is a best-case scenario.

I suppose that’s good news, of a sort, for Saunders; but, much as I am a Condor fan, I recognize he’s no Gutierrez either offensively or defensively.

5. terryoftacoma on May 15th, 2012 12:22 pm

I hate to say it but we have no idea what Gutierrez offense would be since we haven’t seen much in that department from him in over 2 years.

6. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 12:26 pm

That’s true. Last year his average wasn’t any better than Saunders, and he wasn’t hitting for any power at all.

But still, I love watching him play D!

7. terryoftacoma on May 15th, 2012 12:28 pm

I can live with a Ryan/ Kawasaki platoon at short, unless someone comes knocking with a good offer. It’s not like Kawasaki’s a yuni, or bloomquist on defence. I’ve yet to see that he’s much of a hitter, though.

8. eponymous coward on May 15th, 2012 12:32 pm

At this point Gutierrez isn’t a Gutierrez offensively. He spent most of 2010-2011 being horrible, and now he’s going to miss an entire season of play, at a minimum.

I always thought he was marginal for coming back to his 2009 value. This just pretty much clinches that as not happening. At this point, if he turns into a RHB version of Endy Chavez I think it’s a win, because then he’d have SOME value.

Is Triunfel a legitimate short-term option yet?

Not unless we want Jose Lopez II: Electric Boogaloo.

9. just a fan on May 15th, 2012 12:49 pm

I doubt Wedge is benching Ryan more than just a few days. Probably just rubbing his nose in it. Bad dog

After what he said so positively about Ryan’s defense the other day, he appears to recognize his value.

10. Steve Nelson on May 15th, 2012 1:03 pm

If Ryan were traded, I would expect to see Figgins getting regular time at shortstop.

11. marc w on May 15th, 2012 1:05 pm

Yeah, I’ve got to agree that my expectations for Gutierrez offensively are pretty damn low. Forget the heel, it’s that he’s missed tons of time and is now on the decline phase of his career. With his moderate contact issues, the only way he can really add value with the bat is through power, but he hasn’t shown that since 2009.

Triunfel is a short-term option, but as others have pointed out, it’s not a great one. He just muffed a sure double-play grounder for his 11th error on the season in Tacoma’s day game. Great arm, but needs other tools. At some point, they may give him a shot, but the news that they may look at Alex Liddi at SS before Triunfel tells you all you need to know.
    The idea of Liddi at SS isn’t a big deal to me. Hell, he played quite a bit of SS last year in Tacoma. It’d be a big hit defensively to go from Ryan to Liddi, but I completely understand that the M’s might willingly take the hit to get Ackley/Seager/Liddi in the line-up consistently.

12. DarkKnight1680 on May 15th, 2012 1:14 pm

Would you rather Liddi at SS than Seager? I’d be inclined to play Liddi at 3B and let Seager play short.

13. UnderTheClouds on May 15th, 2012 1:16 pm

Hard to tell the difference between a real-time game and an MLB Condensed game when the M’s are batting.

14. terryoftacoma on May 15th, 2012 1:19 pm

I’d rather see Ryan play short and Seager bat. Yeah another 1-2-3 inning.

15. marc w on May 15th, 2012 1:24 pm

Aaaannd Carlos Triunfel just got hit on the wrist by a pitch. He’s coming out of the game. Horrible timing for him; really hope it’s just a bruise, but that’s not a good spot to get hit by a fastball.

16. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 1:30 pm

Whether you think Wedge argues for the “right” kind of aggression or just mindless aggression – the end result seems to look like mindless agression. Opposing pitchers often seem to get pretty far into games without much of a pitch count.

17. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 1:33 pm

If they wanted to punt SS this year, they wouldn’t even have to make a waiver claim. They’ve got Luis Rodriguez, replacement level infielder, hitting .299-.371-.393 in Tacoma.

I’d way rather see him at SS than Figgins.

18. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 1:35 pm

Maybe we could offer Ryan, with Figgins a bonus? ;-)

19. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 1:36 pm

Waiting to find out if Smoak hit a home run, and whether it will rain harder.

20. marc w on May 15th, 2012 1:37 pm

They wouldn’t need a waiver claim, but they’d need to make a 40-man move. That’s not the case with Triunfel (or Liddi/Seager/Figgins, obviously).

21. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 1:38 pm

Foul ball, after a really lengthy review.

22. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 1:39 pm

But if they traded Ryan, or dumped Figgins, they would have room on the 40 man.

23. ndevale on May 15th, 2012 1:46 pm

As a fan, at a basic level, I expect the organization to do everything they can to win each and every baseball game they play, not only in the medium and long term. I dont reject the necesity and importance of planning for the future, and if someone came along offering value for League, I would approve. But from my perspective, they would have to offer much more value for Ryan. He is not replaceable in 2012, and probably not in 2013. I am not in favor of punting games this early in the season just because we probably have no chance. I think the argument Dave made against trading Vargas, for example, is doubly pertinent with regard to Ryan.

24. Catherwood on May 15th, 2012 1:52 pm

Is it just me, or does Beavan really struggle throwing strikes to lefties?

25. marc w on May 15th, 2012 1:56 pm

Just you, Catherwood. In his career, he’s faced slightly more lefties but has given up fewer walks and no HBPs (uh, until this inning).

26. marc w on May 15th, 2012 1:58 pm

Coming into today’s game, Beavan’s free pass rate (walks+HBP/batters faced) was under 2.5% against lefties and over 7% against righties. Weird.
    Lefties don’t draw walks against him because they’re too busy pounding the ball (.312/.329/.523).

27. DarkKnight1680 on May 15th, 2012 1:59 pm

I’m not sure that replacing Ryan with Seager/Liddi/Rodriguez could be classified as punting. He’s looking at a season similar to his 2010 with the Cardinals and he was 1.4 WAR that season. I think you could safely say that a Liddi playing full time would be between 0.5-1 WAR. So the loss of Ryan hurts the team by 1 win. If ryan brings back any sort of trade value, coupled with the increased playing time and experience for a young player with the possibility of a future – I’d say that’s a long way from punting.

28. Catherwood on May 15th, 2012 2:03 pm

Oh, now. That’s the same damn pitch Beavan can’t get called a strike. Boo.

29. UnderTheClouds on May 15th, 2012 2:06 pm

Beckett strikes out the side.

30. mariners88 on May 15th, 2012 2:07 pm

Somebody needs to mention the perfect. I’ll be that somebody. Beckett’s pitching a perfect game. Perfect game. It’s a perfect game so far for Beckett.

Did I mention the perfect game that Beckett’s currently throwing enough? Perfect. Game.

Jinx’d.

31. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:08 pm

Our guy isn’t getting the same calls as their guy is. I’m pissed.

32. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:10 pm

Anybody else notice how Saunders is just getting worked outside, outside, outside?

They’ve figured out that he doesn’t really go oppo and virtually all his power is on his pull side.

He has to find a way to get hits when they do this.

33. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:13 pm

Two perfect games against in the same season, I would guess that has never happened before.

Making history!

34. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 2:14 pm

No, Saunders (or anyone) shouldn’t be swinging at outside pitches that are actually balls – even if they are getting called strikes today.

35. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:15 pm

That pitch to Ortiz was a mistake pitch. Writ large.

It all but stopped at the plate and said “Hit me seven million feet! C’mon! I dare ya!”

36. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:18 pm

Base hit! Base hit!

Ackley with an infield hit!

37. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:19 pm

BASE HIT! YES! Thank God. I don’t want to see a jerk like Beckett with a perfecto at all…particularly against us.

38. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:20 pm

7 Ks in 3 and 1/3.

We are ridiculous bad right now with sticks in our hands.

39. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:22 pm

That Ichiro, he’s no good in the 3 hole, hitting singles, what does he think he’s doing?

/sarcasm

40. mariners88 on May 15th, 2012 2:22 pm

You’re all welcome. /bow

41. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:24 pm

Beckett got away with one.

Argh. Montero.

42. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeah, nice jinxing job there.

43. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:33 pm

I realize what Dave says when he maintains that Beavan is better off as a reliever, and will be when our talented starting pitching makes major league headway.

But, for me…the man is NOT a bad “back-end of a rotation” starter to have.

44. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:35 pm

I think you just jinxed Beavan.

45. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:35 pm

Oh boy. 2-0 lead, and runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out.

Could really use a K or a cheap infield out here, Double B….

46. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:37 pm

I think you just jinxed Beavan.

I’m thinking the same thing, cursing myself out. “Just HADDA open my yap, didn’t I??”

47. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:37 pm

Looks like Beavan is getting squeezed. But I’m just looking at Gameday, so who knows.

48. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:39 pm

Okay…just keep Aviles from scoring. 3-0 deficit, we have a shot. 4-0 lead against…I gotta believe our odds go way down.

49. Paul B on May 15th, 2012 2:40 pm

Could have been worse.

50. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 2:41 pm

He’s not getting the same call on the outside corners (up OR down) as what Beckett is. So there’s a bit of a squeeze job going on, yeah.

51. UnderTheClouds on May 15th, 2012 2:46 pm

Beckett’s grateful for all the quick at-bats–he’s got an early evening tee time.

52. msfanmike on May 15th, 2012 2:47 pm

Ryan would certainly have value to a NL team and his offense has just got to “regress” toward respectability. Doesn’t it? Well, yes … it has to. He does have value. More value going that way than Marlon Byrd probably had coming to the AL … and Byrd “regressed” immediately upon arrival.

Ryan seems to have a way about him which lands him in the doghouse pretty easily (Larussa and now Wedge). Maybe he is a bit of a head case. It’s actually kind of hard to imagine that he isn’t. Flakey as hell is probably an apt description, but he can sure pick it at SS. HE can’t hit his ass with both hands, but he is great with the glove. We just wish he could hit it.

Triunfel: Similar opinion as many others. We have been deceived by other pronouncements of defensive ability of players in the Minors. Maybe he is one of those. Or, maybe he is just as eponymous has described above ^ (electric boogaloo – nice!)

We have a lot more questions than answers at several positions. And none of the current, partial answers to any of the ongoing questions seem to be able to score any runs.

53. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 2:54 pm

Big Papi getting a bunt down – now that’s just insulting.

54. Slats on May 15th, 2012 2:56 pm

I wish Beckett was playing golf instead today.

55. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Triunfel

I’ve heard it said that he hasn’t proven to be a possible answer at ANY position, but the dude owns a major-league hose.

One of the strongest infield arms you’ll ever see, very legit rightfielder’s arm if they want him to play there.

56. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:08 pm

Ichi beats out another!

Funny how no one nationally is mentioning how much better he’s been hitting this year….

57. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:12 pm

Damn. Seager had me hoping there.

58. UnderTheClouds on May 15th, 2012 3:12 pm

Given how Furbush flings himself into the turf with each pitch, I’m surprised more batters don’t bunt toward the mound. He leaves himself little ability to field his position.

59. msfanmike on May 15th, 2012 3:15 pm

By the “sounds” of it, Seager has been running into some bad luck the past couple games. He hit a liner for an out yesterday, too.

I remember the days when Jay, Junior, Edgar and Randy were getting the shit kicked out of them consistently – until they eventually started to find ways (and other players along the way) to help them win.

Maybe that will happen with the current core group (whatever the current core group actually is).

60. kenshabby on May 15th, 2012 3:27 pm

Hmm…Beckett looks okay to me. Then again, against this M’s line-up a pitching maching would look good.

61. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 3:28 pm

A hit! A hit! Woo….

62. Westside guy on May 15th, 2012 3:29 pm

Once again, an aggressive swing on bad pitch leads to an easy out…

63. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:39 pm

Maybe some Cleveland pitching will be what the doctor orders for all these sick bats of ours…

64. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:43 pm

Next year, that last pitch that Ackley got will go over the fence when he gets it.

65. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:46 pm

Sudden thought- with all experiments in getting Figgins productive effectively done…why not move Ichiro back to leadoff?

66. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:50 pm

Delabar and Wilhelmsen are proving to be a potent bullpen duo. Wilhelmsen certainly has the stuff to close.

67. SonOfZavaras on May 15th, 2012 3:52 pm

I am beefing up the numbers on this game thread! All by my lonesome!! Wheeeeeee!

68. stevemotivateir on May 15th, 2012 3:55 pm

Just in time to see Carp stink it up in left.

69. don52656 on May 15th, 2012 4:09 pm

Wilhelmsen now has given up runs in each of his last four appearances and is on a pace to appear in 80 or so games. The use of the bullpen has been interesting (and aggravating, in my opinion).

70. marc w on May 15th, 2012 4:55 pm

Yes. They’re going to need to ease up w/Wilhelmsen at some point. Luckily they’ve got Pryor in AAA who’s ready whenever they need him.

71. stevemotivateir on May 15th, 2012 6:09 pm

Would love to see the Mariners pry Jay Bruce away from the Reds.

72. eponymous coward on May 16th, 2012 7:08 am

The use of the bullpen has been interesting (and aggravating, in my opinion).

No kidding. I’m expecting Iwakuma’s face on milk cartons any day now.

73. nvn8vbryce on May 16th, 2012 11:53 am

I’m thinking that a change of teams for certain Mariners is what the doctor should order instead…