Game 62, Dodgers at Mariners

marc w · June 10, 2012 at 11:30 am · Filed Under Mariners

Blake Beavan vs. Chad Billingsley, 1:10pm

A day after facing Clayton Kershaw, the M’s face another Dodger pitcher who racks up strikeouts. Chad Billingsley’s been a consistently good starter since 2007, relying on a straight four-seamer, and mixing in a two-seamer and cutter. He also throws a slurvy breaking ball – it’s classified as a slider, but it’s thrown at curveball velocity and he uses it more against lefties than righties.

Blake Beavan’s pitching for his job once again. Erasmo Ramirez took a no-hitter into the 8th in his last start in Tacoma (when he was upstaged by the M’s combined no-no), and Danny Hultzen seems to be utterly overpowering the Southern League. Hector Noesi seems likely to yield to one of the minor leaguers, but Blake Beavan may make it hard for the M’s to keep Hultzen in the minors if he pitches like he did in his last start.

The M’s line-up’s got six lefties, but Billingsley doesn’t have big platoon splits, so while it’d be nice to see Jaso, this isn’t a terrible line-up. Mike Carp needs to pick up the pace with Casper Wells and Franklin Gutierrez in Tacoma – when Guti’s ready, he’ll either force Saunders to LF full time or be yet another so-so corner OF, something the M’s aren’t short of. Carp’s injury may have prevented him from getting a real shot at the starting job this year, but his K rate isn’t helping things either.

1: Ichiro (RF)
2: Ackley (2B)
3: Seager (3B)
4: Montero (DH)
5: Smoak (1B)
6: Saunders (CF)
7: Olivo (C)
8: Carp (LF)
9: Ryan (SS)
SP: Beavan

Comments

141 Responses to “Game 62, Dodgers at Mariners”

1. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 11:36 am

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you – but why would they consider putting Guti at the corner? He’s a better center fielder than Condor, and his bat’s going to play the same from either position (as is Saunders’).

2. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 11:39 am

I had the same question. Glad I wasn’t the only person who had it. I dont think he wrote it in the manner he intended.

It’s time for Timer … We need some conjunctions.

3. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 11:44 am

I was wondering about that, too. Could it be that maybe he wouldn’t have to run or throw as hard in left? I’m also wondering if Ramirez is still a candidate for super two status. Anyone know the answer to that? How about Hultzen?

4. marcus_andrews on June 10th, 2012 11:46 am

My guess is that he’s saying he might not be ready physically to man center like we’re used to seeing from guti. I’m sure he will eventually move back to center but he might be more of a left fielder right when he comes back.

5. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 11:48 am

On the plus side – Chad Billingsley’s not pitching as well as Clayton Kershaw. His xFIP for 2012 is a stratospheric 3.87. :-P

Okay, yeah he’s pretty good. Um… at least he’s a righty?

Back on the outfield topic: I am really, REALLY looking forward to seeing a Saunders-Guti-Ichiro! outfield. Even if Guti’s at bats are painful to watch at times – it’s not like our current batch of left-fielders are setting the world on fire.

6. thurston24 on June 10th, 2012 11:54 am

Stevemotivateir,

I don’t think the front office is worried about super two status for pitchers. Look at what they did with Pineda last year. If they cared about super two, he wouldn’t have started with the Mariners.

7. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 12:00 pm

^What if the plan all along was to trade Pineda? You may be right, though.

I’m still curious about the status. I hope it isn’t a factor.

8. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 12:01 pm

Totally with ya on the outfield, Westy! To have 3 solid outfielders at once, would be real nice!

9. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 12:55 pm

At one point, I remember people saying Super Two wasn’t going to be as big a deal with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement – so are there still the same concerns after all?

10. dfrankster on June 10th, 2012 1:01 pm

If,and when Gutierrez comes back,all I can do is hope that he hits, right off the bat I hope he does’ well,because when he starts off with a weak bat,by the time he starts to warm up,it’s time to start putting him back on the DL.Saunders will be just fine in LF,better in CF than Wells,better in LF than Wells or Carp.I’m actually looking forward to what the M’s outfield in 2013 will look like.A Saunders,Gutierrez,Wells/Carp outfield,is better than an Ibanez,Ichiro,Jose outfield from 2008.

11. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:26 pm

Seager: “it’s done like this, Dustin.”

Very little stride, head on ball … And oh yeah, swinging of the bat.

Admittedly, the pitch to Ackley was an inch or two high – but he isn’t so good that he can take that pitch with two strikes.

12. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:29 pm

Abreu is still smooth. He now leads with a bit more forward leaning girth than he once did, but man … That was a picture perfect swing on the pitch he hit for a double.

13. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:38 pm

Beaven’s arm mechanics are annoyingly weird. I’d think he’s losing a lot of velocity with that thing he does with his hand. He might gain a small amount of movement, but it’s apparently not that valuable, seeing as how he “isn’t very good”. It would be interesting to have him sent down here sooner or later, and see if you can get him a little more powerful and a little less suck.

14. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:40 pm

Carp has the range of a banana slug.

15. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 1:43 pm

^^ and the looks! ;-)

(okay, that was uncalled for Westside…)

16. Power of orange on June 10th, 2012 1:45 pm

Put Beaven on a bus to Tacoma post haste. I’ll drive it if need be

17. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:45 pm

I would say that Carp looks more like an albino squirrel.

Mike Carp

18. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 1:47 pm

Oh CRAP.

19. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:47 pm

That ball was hit halfway to wear Beaven should be pitching. (And it’s not Tacoma.)

20. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:48 pm

Here Andre … Hit this

21. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, Beavan’s value has slid a bit.

22. kuptain on June 10th, 2012 1:48 pm

Beavan needs to be DFA’d. I don’t know why I even bother listening when he’s pitching.

23. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:48 pm

Might as well have Beaven put in his 100 pitches now, because this ones over.

24. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:48 pm

Zunino is up to bat on ESPN 2

25. californiamariner on June 10th, 2012 1:49 pm

So sick of watching Beavan suck it up. Please let his time as a starter end.

26. spankystout on June 10th, 2012 1:51 pm

Zunino pulls a curveball for a nice single….BOOO Beavan.

27. Power of orange on June 10th, 2012 1:51 pm

Good at-bat by Zunino. Hopefully his good plate habits stay with him.

28. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:52 pm

A Condor dinger gets them back in the game. Now, all we need is a Condor dinger.

29. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:53 pm

The ump just called an inside strike against Florida that Beaven couldn’t get.

Also, I would like Root to stop showing non-Felix starts, and start showing Jackson games instead.

30. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 1:54 pm

Not quite enough…

31. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:55 pm

Off by 5 feet.

32. spankystout on June 10th, 2012 1:55 pm

Also, earlier Zunino blocked a couple 55 footers with ease. I hope he signs soon.

33. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:56 pm

Nice at bat, Olivo.

34. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey, Miggy did not get a hit off a right gander. Stunning

35. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:56 pm

Can he actually move his feet?

36. henryv on June 10th, 2012 1:57 pm

If they keep Figgins and release Carp when Guti comes back I’m going to punch a bunch of puppies.

37. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 1:59 pm

A Ryan dinger here would be useful. Bahahahahaha. Yep, I thought it and wrote it. Man, am I begging!

38. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:00 pm

Most typed search by M’s fans: “2013 MLB free agents”.

39. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:00 pm

Move the fences in. Approx 150′

40. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:01 pm

I can’t believe we didn’t score a couple runs there. Really thought Ryan would deliver. First time for everything I guess.

41. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:04 pm

Glad to see Iwakuma. He gets my vote to replace Beavan in the rotation.

42. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:04 pm

Okay Iwakuma. Make a closing argument for your “case.”

43. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:06 pm

Move the fences in. Approx 150?

hahaha!

44. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:06 pm

Miguel Olivo’s combined WAR for 2 seasons…. 0.3. Wow. Not bad for a home run hitting catcher.

45. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:07 pm

Zunino will sign soon, but not until after his season has ended. He would lose his College eligibility.

46. Ichirolling51 on June 10th, 2012 2:07 pm

This Beavin experiment needs to end yesterday. He is probably the worst pitcher we have had since the days of Carlos Silva, and Horacio Ramirez (threw up a little). I’m only 25, but his starts alone will give me a thick head of grey hair by time I am 26.

47. spankystout on June 10th, 2012 2:08 pm

henryv: Zunino moves his feet, and gets his chest square. From what I’ve seen in 3-4 games and some video. He isn’t Pudge Rodriguez, but he will be a better catcher than Olivo, Clement, Moore, Johnson, Davis, Burke, Quiroz, etc….

48. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:08 pm

Ah, but Henry – you’re just being an calculator toting nerd who doesn’t know anything about the game.

49. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:09 pm

Speaking of watching shitty things … Did anybody see the Pacquiao fight last night? Was the decision as bad as it sounded?

50. mca on June 10th, 2012 2:11 pm

Iwakuma getting time early today works out nicely. Hopefully he gets to stretch out a little, and he’s in the right spot in the rotation to easily replace Beavan.

51. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:12 pm

There isn’t a single free agent SS that is even interesting to look at as a place holder for Franklin. Truinfel might be a good placeholder, but I’d rather have someone with more experience, because I think there is a slight chance that the M’s actually compete next year.

52. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:14 pm

Triunfel was in the midst of a 1-38 slump the last time I checked. I haven’t looked in a day or two, so maybe has has emerged out of it.

53. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:15 pm

What about Louis Rodriguez, Henry? He’s looked pretty good in Tacoma. yeah it’s the PCL, but he’s done about everything that’s been asked of him. He’s even hitting RHP. Very few errors defensively.

54. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:16 pm

Ryan’s not a free agent until 2014, according to Cots.

55. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:16 pm

I realize he (Rodriguez) isn’t a free-agent, I just meant as a replacement (or placeholder) ;)

56. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:17 pm

Luis Rodriguez is about as interesting as a recently clipped toenail.

57. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:18 pm

So what does that say about Ryan with his bat?

58. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:20 pm

Any kind of nail-polish, or design on that clipping?

59. rth1986 on June 10th, 2012 2:20 pm

So I have a question: if Montero is supposed to be such a good hitter to the other way, why is so vulnerable to pitches away? I know he’s extremely young, but I hope he makes some adjustments soon.

With Harper and Trout lighting it up, Montero seems so much less impressive as a 22 year old.

60. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:21 pm

If Luis Rosriguez comes up, Muni would be the odd man out more than likely … Barring a trade of Ryan.

61. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:21 pm

Ryan’s probably just going to have to work for the next year, is what I’m thinking.

There really isn’t anything else, I’d think. And hope that Franklin is ready for the team by June.

62. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:21 pm

Kyle with a Randy Winn-esque throw.

63. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:24 pm

That was a perfect throw by Olivo.

64. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:24 pm

Thia team might just need a good pedicurist. I think Henry might be onto something.

65. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:24 pm

I am convinced that good hitters who have a good recognition of the strike zone have a hard time in their first couple years of the majors because they aren’t used to seeing pitchers who can reliably paint the outside corner.

66. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:26 pm

I like Franklin and I’m hopeful he’ll have a bright future with the team. Would be kind of hard to watch much more of Ryan if he continues to hit like this, though.

67. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:27 pm

rth1986, a couple thoughts.

First, I agree that Montero still has adjustments to make. I do have confidence he’ll make them.

Second, with Trout: As good as he is (and I wish we had him!), he’s looked even better thanks to luck. His BABIP is currently up over .400 – that’s simply not sustainable.

68. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:27 pm

Is it insane to think something like Michael Bourn 5 years/90 mil?

His power is up, his strike outs are down, and he can play RF or CF if needed.

69. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:29 pm

Mitch Levy is going to be nuts on the radio tomorrow. “Bring the fences in! Trade Vargas! Trade for Thome! Sign Frank Thomas!”

70. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:32 pm

But Bob And Groz will have an easy day … They could simply replay their show from earlier in the week when Beavan pitched. They like him by the way.

71. henryv on June 10th, 2012 2:33 pm

I wasn’t even aware that Bob and Groz was technically a sports show any longer.

72. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 2:34 pm

Man, sometimes our team makes good pitchers look like Cy Young winners.

73. californiamariner on June 10th, 2012 2:36 pm

If the Mariners go after anybody in free agency, I hope it is an outfielder that can rake.

74. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:36 pm

Is Miggy near the league lead for infield popups?

75. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:40 pm

Zunino is due up first after the commercial break. Florida is down by a run in the 8th.

76. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:42 pm

Funny, I was about to ask you what you think bob & groz will have to say about Beavan, Mike!

77. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:43 pm

Zunino channelled his inner Miggy, but the guy after him hit a bomb.

78. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 2:50 pm

I think Bob and Groz will hammer home the “point” of moving the fences in being the answer to all of the teams troubles.

Let’s see, if the power alleys are moved in 5-10′ – you still have a fair ballpark – which yields the same number of singles, some doubles become homers, you end up with fewer triples and in aggregate there is a larger area for group picnics. I think they can probably debate the shit out of that for a day or two.

Get better hitters and nobody gives a flying fadukah about the power alley distance.

79. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 2:51 pm

Wow, that Florida game’s getting interesting!

80. ndrfx on June 10th, 2012 2:54 pm

Kyle Seager, Major Leaguer!

81. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah, that could very well be their excuse, Mike. I’ve heard a lot about moving in the fences on Brock & Salk as well, though I like kinda their show.

I don’t think that’s the answer, though. The team’s strength right now is pitching. Why gamble with that? And it’s not like we haven’t had successful seasons at the plate in this stadium.

82. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:03 pm

I meant to say, “Develop better hitters” – since ‘getting’ them is now impossible after Eric Karros scared them all away. Not having to pay for big time power hitters (and using the fence distance as an excuse why they won’t come here) probably plays into ownership hands perfectly. They don’t want to pay for power hitters anyway, plus most people realize there is no proof an increase in salary results in more team wins (unless you are Geoff Baker) – so … What the hell was my point. I have no point.

Oh yeah – leave the fences alone. That’s my point. It bothered nobody in ’01 and it bothers me not, currently. Find a gap. Steal a base. Advance a runner. Hit well situationally.

83. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:06 pm

I suspect the hitting will sort itself out, given time (and letting the right people leave).

I agree with Mike – the fences seem to be more of a convenient excuse right now than any real problem.

84. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah, I like Brock and Salk, too. Everyone seems to be talking about the same stuff all day, though – so it eventually becomes kinda foggy as to who said what or why they are saying it. I like how bob and groz sound, but I don’t know what they are trying to say. There is not much planning orresearch going into whatever it is they are trying to say.

Welcome to sports talk radio. The thing that surprises me most is probably the fact that any of it still surprises me.

85. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:10 pm

They had 90 plus wins the first 4 full-seasons at Safeco. The fences didn’t seem to affect them then. Anyway, I agree!

86. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:12 pm

Zunino’s hittin right now

87. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:13 pm

Zunino is up … Just hit sac fly. It was the go ahead run in the top of the 9th

88. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:18 pm

Brock & Salk are fun. I had the same complaint about Groz…. poorly organized/planned. He just doesn’t sound as enthusiastic, or as passionate. I rarely get to listen to the radio anymore though.

89. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:21 pm

haha, you all hear Sims defending Ryan? “Who you gonna put in that’s better? Back-off”.

I actually agree with that, for now, but you can’t justify a .160 BA all season long.

90. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:24 pm

Gotta give credit to Iwakuma and Furbush. They’ve done a great job shutting-down the Dodgers. It’s too bad the damage was done so early.

91. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:25 pm

Ryan is so good at run prevention – as a matter of fact – that he prevents them both offensively and defensively. A Major league caliber SS is supposed to have a high WAR … And his isn’t high enough IMO.

92. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:26 pm

Intellectually, I can’t see Ryan continue hitting like this. Dave pointed out all the reasons why – absurdly low BABIP, etc.

But the year keeps chugging along, and Ryan continues to keep sucking at the plate. In June his BABIP has actually gone DOWN. He’s just flat out terrible right now.

It’s painful to watch.

93. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:27 pm

Haha, that’s another way to look at it! Too good at something can have bad results.

94. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey Carp, this would be a good time to stop sucking.

95. henryv on June 10th, 2012 3:30 pm

I foresee Iwakuma starting in 5 days.

96. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:30 pm

I’d like to forsee Hultzen starting in 5 days…

97. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, Westy – I agree. And, I have a much better appreciation and understanding of BABIP than I once did, but it is awfully hard – and you have to be awfully bad – to sustain a BA below .200 for this long. A hitter has more control of BABIP than anybody – an he simply cannot hit. At least not this year and he has been trending steadily downward for three years. From the looks of it, he has not changed anything about his approach, either … Which would be hard to believe, but whatever changes he has made – they are not discernable.

98. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 3:33 pm

I’d like to see Iwakuma get the start, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ramirez got the call. Hultzen has to get at least a few starts in Tacoma, right?

99. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:34 pm

Hasn’t Abreu retired yet?

Somebody definitely should tell him it’s time. Preferably retroactively, prior to today’s game.

100. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:43 pm

No, but League should consider it.

Maybe iwakuma and Furbush can share the next start and the team would not have to promote a player. However, if a promotion of Ramirez best justifies a promotion of Hultzen, I would be all for it. Beavan can go to the pen or to AAA … Or to the pen within AAA. Or get traded with League for whatever their market value isn’t. Yes, isn’t.

101. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:43 pm

Gwynn should be penalized for that dirty uniform. Just call him out.

BTW the Dodgers aren’t having any trouble with Safeco’s current dimensions…

102. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:46 pm

Mike, I don’t know if I want Beaven even in the pen – unless he’s the new Iwakuma (as in “never used”).

The guy’s just bad.

103. nickman66 on June 10th, 2012 3:47 pm

@Westy

Right but they also got the advantage of facing Blake Beaven :\

104. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:51 pm

So let me get this straight – Junior is on the team payroll, but almost never comes to these special events?

I noticed his name wasn’t included in the list of who’ll be present for the Randy/Dan Mariners HOF induction.

105. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 3:52 pm

Ackley!

106. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:54 pm

It’s amazing how much your chances of making contact are increased when you are not pulling your head. Nice swing by Ackkey. His Best swing in the past week.

107. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 3:58 pm

Junior is on the payroll and is in charge of hitting the buffet circuit pretty hard. He has got to be 60 lbs overweight and looks like Jabba the Junior. In other words, he is approx 25 above the last time we saw him in uniform.

108. WTF_Ms on June 10th, 2012 3:59 pm

Mike, I noticed the same thing. Pulling his head at the last second. He doesn’t pull the head and magically makes good contact!

109. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:01 pm

^ yep

110. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:08 pm

Maybe Chambliss was reading USSM from the dugout.

111. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:09 pm

All right Condor!

Now we just need 67 more. :-D

And there’s Olivo, being Olivo…

112. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:10 pm

That was a screaming line drive. Just think, If the fences were moved in, Smoak would have been stopped at 3B. That would have been great to
    See!

113. nickman66 on June 10th, 2012 4:11 pm

Anyone else more than slightly irked at Jaso not getting a PH opportunity there?

114. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:11 pm

Man, I get so sick of watching Olivo swinging at those balls low and away – that was basically in the other batters box.

Nickman66 – yes, for sure.

115. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:12 pm

Judas priest Carp – you look like the LH version of Ryan.

116. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:13 pm

Yeah, I don’t know what the team should do with Carp at this point.

117. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:13 pm

Florida won.

Thank you cable splitter.

118. nickman66 on June 10th, 2012 4:14 pm

Good pitch recognition there Ryan.

119. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:14 pm

Judas priest Ryan, you look like the RH version of Carp.

120. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:14 pm

hehehehe Mike

121. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:15 pm

I am totally speculating here as to all things “psychological” – but having lost a good buddy might have had more of an impact on Carp than any of us can comprehend.

122. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:18 pm

That’s a good point, Mike. I’ve actually wondered if that was what was happening with Saunders last year, losing his mom.

But unlike Saunders, Carp’s value is pretty much only with his bat; and we’ve got a surfeit of mediocre left fielders – so there’s perhaps less reason to be patient with him. That “no options left” thing is probably the real problem here.

123. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:23 pm

Okay, Olivo leads the majors with 12 “caught stealing” this year.

How many “runners advanced when Olivo couldn’t corral the ball” does he have?

124. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:26 pm

Facing the media after each game – there’s one part of Wedge’s job I don’t envy.

125. nickman66 on June 10th, 2012 4:28 pm

Silver lining: Beaven is clearly not a major league pitcher, and either goes to the pen or optioned to Tacoma. Ramirez then takes his place and Hultzen moves up to AAA? Iwakuma and Noesi then trade places. Sound good?

126. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:29 pm

^^ Works for me.

127. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:31 pm

Surfeit!? Good God man – I have to now scurry for a dictionary. Dumb it down a bit, please. Pretend this is a dugout … Or a talk radio program.

128. Ichirolling51 on June 10th, 2012 4:31 pm

Can someone please explain to me how Blake Beavin was a first round pick? I don’t care how “Signable” he was. A bonus of $1 would have been too much for him.

129. nickman66 on June 10th, 2012 4:34 pm

Good question. He’s large? Broken radar guns? Bad scouting? Planets aligning just right? Going with the latter.

130. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 4:41 pm

Watching Wedge’s post-game Q&A… parts of it anyway.

One thing I actually appreciate about the guy is he seems rather protective of his players (well, unless he completely blows up – which has happened). He doesn’t throw Beavan under the bus, for example. He acknowledges the bad results, but still seems somewhat protective. He could be totally fed up, but he’s not saying that to the reporters.

You guys all know I’m not a fan of Wedge as a manager – but I do think he does the people part pretty well.

(How’s that, nickster? hehe)

131. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 4:47 pm

Got it … And I can now use it within a sentence:

This team does not have a surfeit of offensive talent or of run scoring abilities. Thine surfeit has plummeted to regressionary levels of abnormally redundant levels of suckitude. .

132. gwangung on June 10th, 2012 4:55 pm

I think some fans forget that this is part of the manager’s job: getting them focussed on doing their job without getting distracted by media and fan complaints. What Wedge says here is kinda a big part of that, and fans shouldn’t complain when Wedge shields them like that.

133. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 5:05 pm

Let’s expand Mike’s lexicon with a surfeit of new words.

134. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 5:13 pm

Man, it’s hard to think of unusual words when you’re consciously trying to do so…

135. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 5:26 pm

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny. Try those.

136. Ichirolling51 on June 10th, 2012 5:33 pm

^Don’t make me get out my thesaurus.

137. Westside guy on June 10th, 2012 6:00 pm

If ontogeny truly recapitulates phylogeny, we would expect each Mariners player to develop at exactly the same rate as every other Mariners player – indeed, at the same rate as every Major League Baseball player currently active.

Clearly, this is not the case – so I reject the theory.

138. stevemotivateir on June 10th, 2012 6:16 pm

Geez, I fall asleep in the 8th inning, and wake up to find everyone has lost their minds! Or found them.

139. henryv on June 10th, 2012 6:21 pm

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny. Try those.

Which was proven to be false, but have an interesting basis which showed that earlier evolutionary traits were likely to be conserved in earlier stages of development.

140. msfanmike on June 10th, 2012 8:29 pm

It was a Frazier Crane quote from an episode of Cheers. Most of my education came from television programs and Dr Seuss books (regrettably). I was, after all – a baseball player.

I ultimately concluded (after more research than i should ever admit to having to conduct) that the statement meant everyone is a concise summary of their ancestors racial history … At least within the context that I believe Frazier Crane used it within the episode where Sam Malone got laid. Who am I to argue with Frazier Crane logic?

In regard to this team, it’s ontogeny has perpetuated a phylogeny of suckitude for 7 of the past 9 seasons. If this statement is intellectually inaccurate or completely mis-stated, I have the firm privilege and deep affirmation of not giving a crap. I will simply chalk up the statement within some other recent century lexicon related to “tortional rigidity” and “fine Corinthian leather”

How-chuck have been around for quite a while. They are the common link of genetic team dysfunction. The only thing that changes are the players.

Man, these “intellectual discussions” are fun. Especially when they are baseball related.

141. samregens on June 10th, 2012 9:58 pm

—he (Wedge) seems rather protective of his players (well, unless he completely blows up – which has happened). He doesn’t throw Beavan under the bus, for example.—–

I have to disagree with you here, because to me it looks like Wedge is just overprotective of some of his favorites who suck and hurt the team’s chances; like Peguero last year, Beavan, Olivo, etc.

On the other hand, he has complained to the media about Ichiro not hitting enough with RISP, and publicly called out some other guys, and has basically mis-used (under-used) Iwakuma because of some bias.

I have to say that Wedge’s act is getting a bit old.