Game 75, Athletics at Mariners

marc w · June 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Erasmo Ramirez vs. Tom Milone, 7:10pm

The A’s have cycled through six first-basemen so far this season. Due to a combination of injuries and an almost pathological need to make minor transactions, the A’s have used 20 pitchers and four catchers (and people thought the M’s carrying three was insane). They have acquired, willingly, Brandon Inge. They have essentially taken the Pacific Coast League all-stars of recent years and given them a few weeks to see what they could do at the big league level. Brandon Allen? Nope. Kila Ka’aihue? Nah. Collin Cowgill? Ehhh, not awful, I guess. How about Michael Taylor? The A’s are so ecumenical that they’re now starting 2003 Futures Game player Travis Blackley (as an aside, I’m thrilled for Blackley). This isn’t a typical rebuilding job – these guys aren’t exactly young, and none of them are really heralded. It’s also not surprising; the A’s acquired many of these guys in various deals this past off-season. All of this suggested a team that was a step behind the M’s, whose wholesale rebuilding job brought in name-brand prospects and whose starting rotation, while admittedly jury-rigged, included a mix of veterans and a few interesting young kids. The A’s starting 3B in April was an average hitter in the PCL last year, and he was mostly a catcher. Few things can make you feel a tiny bit better about being a fan of the team employing Chone Figgins, and I’m not even sure the Josh Donaldson experiment qualifies, though his sub-.400 OPS helps.

The M’s begin this series 4.5 games behind Oakland, and the A’s come in having won 7 of their last 10. The A’s soft-tossing lefty out of USC is Tom Milone, who came over in the Gio Gonzalez trade. The M’s tried a soft-tossing lefty out of USC last year, and that didn’t go so well. In the past decade, every M’s fan has grumbled about how everything seems to work out for the Angels – that even their jaw-dropping mistakes don’t sink the team, or the way they always beat their pythag winning percentage. I’ve developed that sort of feeling about the 2012 Athletics. They shouldn’t be better than the M’s. You can make a good case that the A’s themselves weren’t TRYING to be better than this year’s M’s. But here we are.

Let’s watch a baseball game!
1: Ichiro (RF)
2: Gutierrez (CF)
3: Seager (3B)
4: Montero (DH)
5: Smoak (1B)
6: Saunders (LF)
7: Olivo (C)
8: Ackley (2B)
9: Ryan (SS)
SP: Erasmo!

Comments

122 Responses to “Game 75, Athletics at Mariners”

1. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 6:33 pm

Since the A’s rebuilt what seemed like 2/3 of their roster during the offseason, I was sure this was the year that the Mariners would not finish last in the West. After the Mariners handled them earlier this season, I felt even more certain of it

I am less certain now.

And yes, it is still surprising.

2. greentunic on June 25th, 2012 6:35 pm

I keep holding out for Pujols’ contract sinking the Angels in 5 years. But somehow I get the feeling theyll be just fine.

That the As seem to have good fortune as well makes me very pouty. This isnt even to mention the AL champion rangers.

3. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 6:37 pm

I’m feeling kind of uneasy about this game. Our lineup isnt great against lefties anyway, and having to hope for mistakes so that Olivo doesn’t strike out four times isn’t encouraging. Hopefully Saunders can continue his run against lefties… but wouldn’t it be a good night to see Wells in right?

4. Slats on June 25th, 2012 6:43 pm

Mariners hitters have been worth 8.6 WAR (88wRC+)
    Athletics hitters have been worh 8.2 WAR (88wRC+)

5. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 6:48 pm

Speaking of WAR stats, is there a good place to find individual player offensive and defensive WAR stats? I can find the aggregate WAR stat for all players – obviously, but not the individual breakout. And no, I have not looked very hard. Just wondering the quickest route and I knew someone here would know. Thanks.

6. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 6:59 pm

Yeah Westy – I was rooting for Montero to start at catcher with Wells at DH, but am not surprised he is not in the lineup today. I swear, if Wells k’s a couple times, he sits for three games. He is a rhythm player and needs reps. Certainly more than Olivo needing them.

Oh well …..,,,

7. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:09 pm

Mike, you might find those WAR stats at the espn site. Westy turned me on to that site not too long ago. Really surprised me, in a good way!

8. vetted_coach on June 25th, 2012 7:14 pm

Wedge is officially an idiot. I’m sure there’s a more appropriate label for a manager who addicts himself to pre-conceived notions in spite of inconsistencies and results, not to mention common sense, but for now, ” idiot” seems as good as any.

Three lefties vs. a LHP at the expense of a hot-hitting Wells, and a pathetic receiver. Granted, you’d have to have a little imagination to sit Ichiro or Saunders, or a little backbone.

Unless Chuck Armstrong is dictating certain aspects of this, Wedge is a dolt.

Ackley, for crying out loud (on a 120 K pace)? Seager? Good hitter but slumping a bit. This has ” bats shoved up our rump” written all over it.

The worst possible lineup he could ever trot out against a decent left handed starter. We’ll see.

9. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:18 pm

Agreed, Mike – and if Wells is getting sat down for the strikeouts, shouldn’t Olivo’s butt be permanently nailed to the bench?

I don’t really have a problem with Olivo catching today – it’s just that Wedge’s choices seem so… arbitrary.

10. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:20 pm

Guti continues to hit!

11. The Nickster on June 25th, 2012 7:22 pm

VC, I’m curious about your Ackley comment. Are you saying Ackley should be sitting? I dunno, although the local sports radio hosts are starting to question his future…. what do people think about Ack’s struggles?

12. Slats on June 25th, 2012 7:22 pm

So good having Guti back.

13. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:23 pm

Way to go, Coco Puffs!

14. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow, that Seattle sun must have really got the best of him.

15. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:26 pm

Actually, being from California – he hasn’t adjusted to the low light levels up here yet. :-D

16. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 7:31 pm

Move in the “Batters-eye”

Wow, hit me harder!!

17. Slats on June 25th, 2012 7:31 pm

The bad Ramirez is back.

18. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:33 pm

What was that about “bad” Ramirez? hehe

19. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:34 pm

It looks like, once again, OTHER teams have no problems with Safeco’s fences!

20. vetted_coach on June 25th, 2012 7:34 pm

I would have used Wells instead of Saunders and Figgins instead of Ackley. And I would have dropped Seager in the order. Perhaps led off with Figgins. Drastic, yes, but not as drastic as what’s out there tonight. A manager should manage. Otherwise, just trot the same nine out there eight out of ten days. None of them are that reliable.

21. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:38 pm

I gotta disagree with that. Saunders should play pretty much every day.

22. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 7:39 pm

Ackley!

23. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 7:44 pm

Interestingly enough (and somewhat surprisingly too) Ackleys walk and strikeout rates are almost a mirror image of last season. His weak September obviously skewing things, but so far – a direct match to last season. And, yuck!

His BABIP is down from last year, but that is direct reflection of Barrell issues, unrelated to luck IMO.

Vetted: I think your first post had some really good points within it. I was wondering though, how do you really feel?

24. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:45 pm

Bench Saunders? I’d rather have Saunders out there than Wells. Well’s DH’n would make more sense, with Montero catching (Olivo left out), as Westy suggested earlier.

25. vetted_coach on June 25th, 2012 7:46 pm

I hope that Ackley comes around, but how many times does Blowers get to say, “Maybe this will be the one that brings him around”?

Also, Casper Wells is easily as good an outfielder as Mike Saunders, and his overall MLB hitting numbers are better. He deserves the same opportunities as Saunders. He’s clearly not going to get them.

26. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 7:47 pm

Yeah, Saunders has hit lefties well, this year. No reason for the best athlete on the team to sit. Olivo should be the one sitting

Figgins over Ackley: I gotta disagree with that one.

27. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 7:47 pm

ESPN Site … Thanks Steve

28. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:51 pm

I’d like to see more of Wells, but not at the expense of Saunders, and I’m not about to call him an equal defensively, or with the bat.

29. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:52 pm

Thank Westy, Mike! I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise!

30. texasmarinerfan on June 25th, 2012 7:53 pm

and Ichiro gets an Ichiro hit!

31. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 7:55 pm

Worth noting, I love that we’re having conversations about real outfielders! Nice change, from the complaints/concerns with Carp, Liddi, and Figgins.

32. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 7:57 pm

I am firmly committed to not complaining about Smoak for at least another half inning. If I were to complain, I could some up his troubles in 4 words:

No aluminum bats allowed

33. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 8:06 pm

Let’s hear it for the Oakland defense!

34. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 8:06 pm

Smoak lucked into an error….he is almost a certain out each AB. He either needs to go, or go down and figure things out.

35. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:08 pm

Ozzie Smith would have caught that flair in his back pocket. Good thing he’s not playing today.

36. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 8:08 pm

Oh crap….batting order kills us again…Olivo, another sure out…or maybe GIDP.

Wow…I typed that, and it happened, in one pitch.

37. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 8:08 pm

Wow, I can’t believe it… Olivo didn’t K.

38. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 8:08 pm

It will look like a line drive in the box score Mr. Saunders.

39. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:10 pm

Hey Miggy, go fu …

Oh piss on it. Never mind. I am running out of reasons to beat that dead horse.

Wedge, good decision. Thank you!

40. marcus_andrews on June 25th, 2012 8:12 pm

Going back a little bit, but Vetted I pretty much disagree with every one of your points. There is no reason Figgins should be playing over Ackley. Statistically it doesn’t really make sense (admittedly Ackley has been bad but Figgins is horrible both offensively and defensively regardless of handedness or position).

To say this is the worst lineup we can put out there is asinine. If you just look at primary positions of every player on the bench you’ll see that each sub would probably make us worse. Kawasaki for Ryan, worse. Figgins for Seager (or as you suggested Ackley), worse. Jaso for Olivo, worse. Now I know that this is something that may catch everyone off guard but Jaso is AWFUL against lefties on the whole and Olivo strives against soft throwing lefties. I hate him as much (probably more than) the next guy but IF you’re going to play him, this is exactly the day to do it. Wells for Saunders, arguable but probably worse overal.

In short I think you want Wedge to do something because doing nothing isn’t working, but that’s no more of a legitimate strategy than hoping that players who seem bound to improve, will (Ackley in particular). This lineup might have a few slight questions, but it’s really not nearly as bad of a lineup as many that have been run up there and I really don’t think it’s questionable in hardly any way.

41. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 8:12 pm

Just remember he won’t be here next year Mike.

42. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:13 pm

Vetted, do you think Ramirez misses up because of lack of follow through or because he tries to overthrow a bit to increase velo? I see both from time to time. What say you?

43. bookbook on June 25th, 2012 8:15 pm

Ozzie has lost a step. He might not have gotten that.

Luis Rodriguez, while not an exciting part of any future, should be starting today (and in the majors, of course.)

44. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 8:16 pm

He tends to over throw at times instead of pitch. IMO

45. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:17 pm

Good point book book. I had forgotten that Ozzie is pushing 60.

46. vetted_coach on June 25th, 2012 8:19 pm

In spite of Blowers and Sims going on and on about Kurt Suzuki, he will be splitting time with Derek Norris behind the plate. According to BB.

47. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Terry. I agree. I think it would help him (especially his change up) if he followed through more completely. He tends to block himself from following through on some pitches.

48. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:23 pm

Yep, out front and open. Not letting ball travel deep enough. Instead of having him watch tape of himself, have him watch some tape of Edgar (mirror image if necessary), instead.

49. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 8:27 pm

I’ve been watching Ackley closely(who hasn’t) for a couple of weeks now and it’s appears to me that he’s almost checking his swing on a lot of pitches. I don’t how to describe it better. Lack of follow through or something. Maybe, he’s undecided whether swing until the last moment. But the sting isn’t there anymore that was there when he first came up.

50. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 8:32 pm

So, another Miggy annoyance. Does he drop EVERY third strike, and have to tag??? I’m still stunned that his position is “catcher”, and yet he can’t “catch” the ball…OK, I’m done complaining too, al la Mike.

51. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:35 pm

I steadfastly refuse to worry about Ackley yet. I agree he needs some work though. What’s Josh Bard’s brother up to? ;-)

52. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 8:38 pm

I agree too Westy. I’m not sweating Ackley just yet. He’s young and has some work and adjustments to make. It’s the old “veterans” that are hanging around for no obvious reason that pisses me off. Also the “tool” guys that have NOT lived up to the billing…I think you know who I mean.

53. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah I know, WTF… quit ragging on Seager!!

/kidding

54. Breadbaker on June 25th, 2012 8:43 pm

Dear Jesus,

The reason they keep throwing a ball in the dirt outside to you with two strikes is that you keep swinging at it and missing.

So with two strikes, as a catcher, what would you throw to you?

55. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:44 pm

That’s an interesting point, Breadbaker. All things being equal, you’d expect catchers to make better hitters.

56. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:48 pm

Erasmo! The little guy is bringing it!

57. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 8:49 pm

Interesting pitch selection on that one. Good Job.

58. vetted_coach on June 25th, 2012 8:51 pm

In the meantime, a guy with a road ERA of 7.00 is white-washing the Mariners, who are working on their 9th shutout in half a season. They haven’t scored in 20 innings, and stretches like this have been common for half a decade. This is not an MLB offense. And it doesn’t change. The Mariners defy Bill James’ theory of competitive balance, which is based on numbers that have been dependable across the board for decades.

It’s not about Ackley, or Ichiro, or Smoak. It’s about an organization that doesn’t get it done offensively. The Pirates are better. The Orioles are better. The Indians, Mets, Nationals. Better, better, better.

We’re not better.

So far, nothing much has really changed.

59. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:52 pm

Generate a leg run, Saundy

60. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:52 pm

They know they don’t have to throw much to Condor, what with Olivo up next.

61. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 8:53 pm

Swing, dummy!!!!!!!!

62. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:53 pm

Yeah, they did give him something to hit after all.

63. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey Miguel! Good job!

64. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 8:57 pm

Oh Ackley, why did you swing at THAT?

65. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 8:57 pm

Wow, Ack needs help. He is going to see down and away pitches until he makes the adjustment. Every pitcher knows that’s the safe place to pitch him.

66. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:00 pm

I think the offensive woes might be tied into the scent of garlic fries. Is there any proof against it?

67. The_Waco_Kid on June 25th, 2012 9:00 pm

Very worried about Ackley. At least he hasn’t been terrible, but he’s been relentlessly mediocre.

68. henryv on June 25th, 2012 9:02 pm

Okay, maybe I’m drunk in a bar in idaho, but seriously… What the funke.

7 hits no runs.

69. henryv on June 25th, 2012 9:04 pm

Bring in the fences and make them out of garlic fries.

70. Swungonandbelted on June 25th, 2012 9:05 pm

Nicely done Ramirez, unfortunately you had to do it for this team…bunch of no-run-support giving bastards….

71. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 9:05 pm

This offense needs more than a hit an inning to score so… no score.

72. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:05 pm

Mmm… garlic fries…

73. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:06 pm

Have a shot of fireball whiskey and don’t worry about it, Henry.

It is groundhog day/night at Safeco.

74. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:07 pm

Jaso sighting! Soon to be followed by a Mascot sighting!

75. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:08 pm

Runs runs runs runs runs!

76. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:09 pm

A called K during pinch hitting duty: almost nothing pisses off a Manager more than that.

77. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:10 pm

ARGH.

78. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:14 pm

It looks like yesterday’s shutout was merely a warmup for today’s shutout.

Be patient, though … Patience is the key, Mariner fans. The Plan is in place.

79. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:19 pm

Seager hit. Montero K. Smoak DP

I have seen the future.

80. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:21 pm

Have you heard of any of these guys that are currently kicking our teams ass? Any of them??

81. terryoftacoma on June 25th, 2012 9:22 pm

ouch….

82. nvn8vbryce on June 25th, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey Mike, Westy is Westy-Damus, remember? I like his predictions more…

83. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:23 pm

Mike, I think the old crystal ball might need a bit of polishing.

84. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:23 pm

Edit: Seager K. Montero hit. Smoak DP

I have no idea what the future holds.

85. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:24 pm

That was dumb, Westy.

Safeco is tough on umps, apparently. That does not look good.

86. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:25 pm

I still think Smoak is going to hit into a DP.

87. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:26 pm

COME ON CONDOR.

Hehe Mike.

88. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:26 pm

Note to self: buy a new crystal ball.

89. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:27 pm

Don’t be an idiot, Figgy.

90. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:27 pm

Come on Saunders – end this shitcapade.

91. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:27 pm

… In a good way

92. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:28 pm

If Saunders hits a home run, I swear I will buy everyone a beer at the USSM/LL event.

93. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:28 pm

The game will end not with a bang, but with a whimper.

94. WTF_Ms on June 25th, 2012 9:29 pm

You’re safe. No beers to buy.

95. Swungonandbelted on June 25th, 2012 9:29 pm

These guys are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked /shakes fist at TV………

96. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:29 pm

From Brazil, Steve?

97. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:30 pm

I am stupid enough to wake up tomorrow and be looking forward to the next game. Yes, I am. Who’s with me?!

98. nvn8vbryce on June 25th, 2012 9:32 pm

Note to self: buy a new crystal ball.

Save your dough and buy a bigger TV so you can see the Suckiners sucking it up… or not!

99. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:32 pm

I am Mike!

Not sure what that says about either one of us, though. Gluttons for punishment?

100. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:34 pm

Haha, we had a set-back. Not leaving til at least the 22nd now, so I got a pair of tickets. Hopefully not much later than the 22nd.

101. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:34 pm

Uh, I wont wake up with you, Mike. But it sounds like Westy’s game.

102. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:35 pm

Oh, but I do look forward to the next game, anyway.

103. Power of orange on June 25th, 2012 9:35 pm

Much more of this and I am going to need beer from Papua New Guinea.

104. nvn8vbryce on June 25th, 2012 9:36 pm

Speaking of gluttony… I wonder how the post-game spread is after a loss…

I look forward to tomorrow…

105. Slats on June 25th, 2012 9:37 pm

Pathetic offense.

106. msfanmike on June 25th, 2012 9:37 pm

I think we just love baseball. And stats. Nothing wrong with that. Pretty easy life, actually ,,, but I could sure do with less suckiness on the playing field.

It’s frustrating to Keep watching a team of ass.

107. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:43 pm

Really curious what happens before the deadline. I say that every year, but after games like this, it’s nice to have something to look forward to, that MIGHT impact the future positively.

108. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 9:46 pm

Agreed, Steve. Problem is, the players I want to see go away probably won’t.

Olivo is still sucking, Figgins never stopped sucking, League has been mediocre at best…

BTW given that Olivo has done ZILCH to increase his value since coming off the DL – why are we still seeing him so much?!

109. stevemotivateir on June 25th, 2012 9:55 pm

Yeah, and if Olivo was going to be traded, it likely would have happened by now. Unless a freak accident or injury occurs, I can’t imagine anyone taking a flyer on him.

110. Kyle Miller on June 25th, 2012 11:49 pm

Mariners acquire–Carlos Gonzalez, Chad Bettis

Rockies acquire–Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Marcio Robles.

Who has a problem with this trade? We still have Hultzen and Paxton, with Bettis added to provide more depth. Carlos Gonzalez is the exact kind of hitter we need to build around, and this is the kind of deal we can actually *talk* about maybe parting with Felix. With the Rockies absolutely horrendous pitching, throwing in a couple other prospects including Paxton? You’re telling me they wouldn’t think about it?

111. MrZDevotee on June 25th, 2012 11:59 pm

I’m so confused this season… So does Ichiro suck now, or not?

He leads the team in Batting AVG (excepting Guty, but “small sample size” there), 3rd in dbles, 1st in triples… 2nd in steals… His defense is still above average.

He hit .391 over the past 10 days…

Ichiro, much like our entire team’s road success at hitting dingers and scoring runs (2nd and 4th in all of baseball), is totally not fitting into the fan induced stereotypes.

The screwy dilemma of the moment:

Our pitchers can’t pitch on the road
    Our hitters can’t hit at home

Our pitchers are brilliant at Safeco
    Our hitters are pretty damn good everywhere else…

Fix this, Jack Z!

112. Westside guy on June 25th, 2012 11:59 pm

You might want to check Gonzalez’s Coors/Away splits before you make that trade. Away from Coors his 2012 OPS has been .806 – in 2011 it was .757.

So yeah – I have a problem with that trade. Seems to me you’re trading Felix and three other guys for Kyle Seager.

113. MrZDevotee on June 26th, 2012 12:07 am

Kyle-
    (raising my hand)
    Um, I have a problem with that trade… For many reasons…

Not even considering how rare it is for two teams to trade their absolute fan favorite, mega star players to each other. That just doesn’t happen.

114. Peekay_ on June 26th, 2012 12:21 am

What the hell Kyle?

I wouldn’t even trade Felix for CarGo straight up let alone throwing in our #4 and #5 prospects, are you dreaming or something?

I’m not even sure I’d trade Cargo for Paxton and Franklin straight up, crikey.

115. Kyle Miller on June 26th, 2012 1:05 am

Maybe I oversold a bit (okay a lot), I admit that. But come on. Carlos Gonzalez is the exact kind of player we need to talk about, and the situation in Colorado is one that we can actually get a star-level hitter via trade, using our organizational strength of pitching to entice them into it. His away spits are .276/.329/.476/.809. Which would instantly make him the best hitter on the Mariners even if those numbers held at that level.

I don’t know what players we could use, but this is something we should talk about. The Mariners offense is putrid. Is no one else sick of watching low scoring 1 run losses year in, year out?

116. Kyle Miller on June 26th, 2012 1:05 am

117. Kyle Miller on June 26th, 2012 1:05 am

118. bookbook on June 26th, 2012 8:02 am

Players consistently outperform their road ops when they leave Coors.

119. Westside guy on June 26th, 2012 8:26 am

Kyle, I’m not opposed to getting a guy like CarGo – I just wouldn’t trade Felix for him. I admit to resorting to a bit of hyperbole in my response though. ;-)

120. MrZDevotee on June 26th, 2012 9:33 am

Westy said:

“I agree with you… our offense is terrible. On just about every other team, a guy hitting .270-ish would be a “decent piece” – NOT the “team’s best hitter”!”

I agree with Westy, hence my semi tongue-in-cheek Ichiro comments above, where we fret about his decline while he leads the Mariners in batting with a .278 avg. (DEFINITELY a decline- but better than anybody else currently on the team)

121. msfanmike on June 26th, 2012 9:48 am

Westy already mentioned the Home vs. Road splits for Carlos Gonzales (and they are somewhat dramatic), so there is no reason to reinforce that point. There is also no way to know if ‘he’ would increase his away OPS once ‘he’ left Coors Field, but granted – the facts are the facts for other players who did leave. Thanks for that info bookbook.

2012 WAR to date:

Carlos Gonzalez 2.2
    Ichiro Suzuki 2.1

Peekay ^^ seemed to capture the essence of the moment, pretty well.

122. stevemotivateir on June 26th, 2012 11:41 am

You don’t trade a Felix Hernandez, a Cy Young winner, for a hitter that averages around .270 outside of a hitter-friendly park. IF you’re going to trade him for someone, you do it for a well-established, .300+ hitter with 100+ RBI production… and then some. Felix is a proven ace. There’s no reason you can’t ask for an elite hitter in return.

Having said that, I really like Gonzalez, and I’d love to see him here for a much smaller return.