Time to Send Justin Smoak Down

Dave · July 23, 2012 at 7:17 am · Filed Under Mariners

Mike Carp‘s rehab assignment ends today, as there’s a 20 day limit and Carp is out of options. The team must activate him from the DL or designate him for assignment, and they almost certainly don’t want to do that. So, expect Carp to join the Mariners at Safeco today, which means someone from the roster has to go to Tacoma. Carlos Peguero belongs there, but don’t be surprised if it’s Justin Smoak making the trip south instead.

A month ago, I wrote that I was ready to give up on the idea of Justin Smoak as a core part of the team’s future, and start exploring alternatives at first base. Since I hit publish on that post, Smoak has hit .128/.200/.244 in 85 plate appearances, with his slugging percentage only getting over .200 because he faced a stretch of Triple-A pitchers in Kansas City last week. Smoak is completely and utterly lost at the plate right now, and his season line has sunk to .191/.255/.323, which grades out as the second worst offensive performance of any full time player in baseball this season. For comparison, Justin Smoak’s wRC+ (60) is essentially the same as Brendan Ryan‘s (59), and only one of those two provide any defensive value.

It’s time to send Justin Smoak to Tacoma. If he’s fixable, having him get embarrassed by big league pitchers on a nightly basis isn’t helping anything, and he’s a massive liability in the line-up right now. With Carp coming off the DL, the team has the opportunity to make the switch, and they should take advantage of it. Maybe a 6 week stint in Tacoma will help him get back on track. Maybe he’ll continue to be exposed as a guy without as much offensive talent as everyone thought he had. Regardless, the organization needs to use those six weeks to see whether or not he can respond to a change of venue and a chance to hit minor league pitching again.

This was Justin Smoak’s make or break year. He couldn’t have possibly performed any worse. At this point, the team should send him to Triple-A, give his job to Mike Carp (and, I’d still like to see Jesus Montero get some opportunities at first base, which is his future position anyway), and go from there. Smoak is broken. Keeping him on the roster isn’t helping anyone.

Comments

55 Responses to “Time to Send Justin Smoak Down”

1. Brantid on July 23rd, 2012 7:48 am

Couldn’t agree more. Send Smoak down. I hope he figures it out down there as he has had brief stretches of brilliance. But they have been far too brief. I really want him to succeed, but it just hasn’t happened. Give him August down there and, if he shows any promise, back up in September.

2. grjm300 on July 23rd, 2012 7:57 am

No one can ever say he wasn’t given every opportunity to succeed. Here’s to hoping he figures it out.

3. sergey on July 23rd, 2012 8:18 am
  4. eponymous coward on July 23rd, 2012 8:28 am

OK, so since Smoak’s MLB career of FAIL been kind of done to death, let me ask this:

Dave, has Jesus Montero done anything to really rebut or change this?

And if not, doesn’t moving him from C to 1B/DH whack a bunch off his future value?

(It’s interesting if scary to go back to those K/BB %’s and look at where Montero is on that score. Ugh- he’s basically turned into a hacker.)

5. Dave on July 23rd, 2012 8:40 am

Montero doesn’t have any value as a catcher, because it’s not a position he can actually play at a Major League level. It’d be like saying that Justin Smoak would have more value at shortstop since he can’t hit. Well, yeah, but he can’t play short either.

Montero can’t catch. The organization already drafted their catcher of the future. At this point, they’re just piddling around until they make the obvious decision and move him to 1st.

6. greentunic on July 23rd, 2012 8:52 am

I feel I’m in need of some assistance here.

What is it that some are seeing (and I’m not) that demonstrates Montero’s inability to catch?

Is he dropping too many balls? Not throwing enough runners out? Mishandling the pitching staff? I just can’t remember enough in game mistakes for me to think he should be moved from the most valuable position to the least valuable position.

Anyway, I’d love for the M’s to explore 1B options besides Smoak as well. Hoping for some external help soon.

7. gag harbor on July 23rd, 2012 8:57 am

Might need to stop embarrassing Ackley daily as well.

8. Dave on July 23rd, 2012 9:11 am

You know how we talked about Miguel Olivo not being able to block balls in the dirt, ranking 1st in the league in passed balls nearly every season he’s healthy and a regular catcher?

Yeah, Montero’s worse. In 331 innings behind the plate, he’s allowed five passed balls, or an average of 15 passed balls per 1,000 innings (which is about one full season for a catcher). Olivo’s career mark is about 12 passed balls per 1,000 innings, by the way.

Montero also can’t stop runners from taking second base at will. Opposing base stealers are 33 for 40 against him, an 82% success rate. In Saturday night’s extra inning game, the Rays got the go ahead run in scoring position by stealing second against Montero in three consecutive innings.

He’s a big, slow, unathletic guy with bad footwork. He’s only going to get slower as he gets older. He’s just not a catcher.

9. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 9:15 am

I agree Smoak should go down and try to reinvent himself. He’s not developing at the major league level. Maybe, there he can work on things. However, Carp’s not hitting either so it’s pretty much a wash there. If Smoak doesn’t improve while at Tacoma and Carp doesn’t hit either. Then either finding a 1B outside the organization or teaching Montaro 1B after the season might be the best long term. I’d like to see a Jaso/Montaro split as catcher next year. Zurino won’t be ready just yet.

10. formerstarQB16 on July 23rd, 2012 9:20 am

If all Mariners games were played away from Safeco, Smoak would be on pace for 32 HR’s this year (playing 154 games). Granted, he’s struggling to make contact, but who knows what effect his struggles at Safeco are having on his overall ability to hit.

11. Snuffy on July 23rd, 2012 9:30 am

Carp could still be a serviceable player to the Mariners down the road but if they plan on him as a regular it would be a huge mistake. Smoak ‘might’ come around and I still feel he will, but not without time back in AAA. He is utterly flailing at this point. Montero will never be a fulltime catcher at the major league level. He’s very good vLHP thus far but he is a total hacker vRHP. He needs to get some defensive reps at 1b. That would give the M’s more options and make Montero more useable… if he can handle the position. Playing 1b (after a time to learn the position) will allow him to concentrate more on his offense and take away the heavy pressure of catching. Why hasn’t he been getting reps at 1b? What the hell are they waiting for?

12. taylor.mariner on July 23rd, 2012 9:35 am

I agree sadly :(
    I love Smoaker as much as anyone, and I hate seeing Carp play the field period.
    But what else are you gonna do? Didn’t Jaso play 1b at all with the Rays?

13. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 9:36 am

I don’t think they see him as a firstbaseman to tell the truth.

14. MrZDevotee on July 23rd, 2012 9:39 am

I was in the “leave Carp in Tacoma” boat if sending Smoak down (as evidenced by a recent game thread), but hearing Carp doesn’t have any options left changes that. Even if Smoak and Carp are gonna be the same player, at least Smoak can go down to AAA and work on things– Carp would have to be DFA’d.

So yeah, I’m changing my tune. Bring Carp up– maybe AAA pitching just bores him, and he needs more of a challenge (said tongue in cheek, but fingers crossed).

15. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 9:51 am

Anyone see us doing any trading before the deadline? I don’t.

16. greentunic on July 23rd, 2012 9:58 am

I sure hope we do some trades. Even if its more selling (Lots of buyers this year makes for a decent market).

I’ll just cry if we stand pat.

17. greentunic on July 23rd, 2012 9:58 am

terry,

I’ll just cry if we stand pat.

18. greentunic on July 23rd, 2012 9:59 am

whoops, sorry double post

19. Liam on July 23rd, 2012 10:07 am

and 4th worst via WAR at -1.0 i.e. 1 win below replacement and 3 below average.

For some reason, Fangraphs needs players to “qualify” for WAR, so really bad players in shorter amounts of time don’t make this list. Change the minimum PA to 0 to reveal more bad players like Figgins.

20. marcus_andrews on July 23rd, 2012 10:10 am

Dave, I agree that long term 1B will be Montero’s position (if not DH) but do you really think he should be thrown out there midseason? He hasn’t played there at any point in his career and I really think he should be eased into the spot in the Spring/start of next year.

And Terry I would be really surprised if you don’t see at least a few moves. I don’t think League or Millwood will be around come August 1st at the least.

21. miscreant on July 23rd, 2012 10:20 am

I hope the Mariners send Smoak down. It’s the right thing to do. If he stays it’s because Jack’s ego couldn’t accept the fact that Smoak is not Mark Teixeira.

ANother move that is overdue is a Jaso/Olivo catcher platoon. Olivo has no biz hitting against righties. Montero full-time DH.

22. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 10:28 am

Here’s my logic behind not thinking we’ll be too envolved in trades. Please convince me otherwise. Until Ramariz returns we can’t afford to trade a starter(we currenting have no depth there that’s ML ready). Until Pryor returns the same with the pin. Although, I could see League going and us getting someone back. Our mascot(Figgins) is ours I’m afraid(no value whatsoever). Olivo is bad but we don’t have a ML catcher to replace him with either unless we go Montaro/Jaso full time which I could live with. So where?

23. The_Waco_Kid on July 23rd, 2012 10:49 am

I think Smoak down, Carp up is a no-brainer. Keeping Carp out of LF is nice. Peg will go down when Guti’s back. Then they should platoon Ichiro and Guti.

BTW, anyone seen Ichiro’s day/night splits? Crazy.

24. mrb on July 23rd, 2012 11:01 am

Personally I believe the Mariners are cursed – but I’m open to other ideas. What are the odds (say, per PECOTA) that Ackley, Smoak, and Montero would “hit” at this level? That none of Seager, Wells, Saunders and Carp would meaningfully improve? That Gutierrez would continue to get freakishly hurt?

25. Westside guy on July 23rd, 2012 11:04 am

I believe Carp’s been playing 1B exclusively, ostensibly to protect his shoulder. I’m not convinced he’s actually healthy, given his 2012 performance; but I would like to see him at 1B rather than Smoak right now, regardless.

As long as Carp isn’t in LF I will be fine with having him on the 25-man.

If Smoak is fixable, the team needs to help get him fixed. He’s the one with significant upside. Carp is who he is… at best, someone who’s not going to kill you being on the roster.

26. eponymous coward on July 23rd, 2012 11:10 am

Well, then 1B/DH it is then. Which is unfortunate, since I don’t think what’s happened in 2012 so far really makes Montero’s bat likely to end up anywhere in the Piazza/Cabrera class of elite bats that’s been discussed. That kind of ceiling looks farther away than it was last year, given what’s happened so far in 2012.

So, you kind of rotate Carp/Montero/whoever through DH/1B through the rest of 2012, and I guess hand Montero a 1B glove in spring training 2013 and figure out Jaso’s RHB platoon partner at C. That kind of makes sense.

27. Westside guy on July 23rd, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Justin Smoak’s 32-homer pace in away games…

Just looking at away games, Justin Smoak’s OPS is .669 – still nowhere near what you’d want from a first baseman. He’s not exactly a monster when you get him away from Safeco.

Really the only way he would look like a good first baseman right now is if he could face KC 162 times a year – in Kansas City.

28. eponymous coward on July 23rd, 2012 11:13 am

Uh, you don’t think Saunders has improved? He’s OPS’ing 100 points over his lifetime stats. What exactly should he be doing to improve on that?

Wells is pretty close to a finished product, and he’s OK as well. He doesn’t really need to improve. The team actually has some useful pieces in the OF when it comes to the two of them.

We can discuss the fact that the M’s don’t seem to be doing very well at “finishing” young position players- Jose Lopez and Yuni come to mind as well…but that probably needs some in-depth examination, not just going off the impressions we get from a bad team of “oh, nothing ever works out for us”.

29. Mariners35 on July 23rd, 2012 11:28 am

What I’m taking from this is:

a) 36 games at catcher in 2012, 39 games at catcher in the majors, is a large enough sample size to evaluate catcher defense.
    b) Skills like throwing out runners, blocking the plate, and good footwork overall cannot be significantly improved upon with coaching.
    c) Better to do a position switch with him now, as a 23-year-old, rather than potentially waste a couple more years trying to get more out of him as a catcher and then end up shuffling him to 1b / DH starting at age 25 or 26.

I’m not saying any of that is wrong. And given Smoak’s struggles it’s entirely possible a position-switched Montero is a better long-term investment at 1b than Smoak or Carp.

It’s more that I do not know what the minimum number of games, innings or seasons are to evaluate catcher defense. We get into questions of sample size when looking for trends, so I’m wanting to know what the baseline is here, so that it can be equally applied to Zunino, etc. in the future.

30. Westside guy on July 23rd, 2012 11:28 am

I agree w/ eponymous. If it wasn’t for Guti’s apparent fragility, I’d think we could afford to stand pat in the outfield for now. As it is, we could stand to pick up a solid outfielder to replace Ichiro over the winter – but if we have to choose, upgrading the current outfield should be a lower priority.

And I’m not convinced Seager isn’t the solution at 3B. He’s certainly doing well enough for the team to wait and see what he eventually turns into.

31. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 11:29 am

I’m not sure what people expect from this team? We have a declining superstar in right. An injured center fielder(currenting being replaced by a guy we all gave up on who finally figured it out). A left fielder whose about average. A defensive wiz(no hit) stortstop, a second and third base with less than a year’s ML experience to go along with an underachieving firstbaseman. A 22 year old with less than a year in the majors and Jaso/Olivo. And that’s just the everyday players. Come on.

32. The_Waco_Kid on July 23rd, 2012 11:30 am

Churchill just posted that Smoak should stay. Sending Smoak to AAA won’t do anything magical, but he needs a mental break. That can be in Tacoma or on the bench. Carp deserves one more chance to play every day. He had a great run last year.

@eponymous: No kidding

33. mjf99 on July 23rd, 2012 11:31 am

The Ms developed young guys like Peggy and Liddi (and Smoak) all seem to have long swings that are fine for AAA but not good enough for the majors. Perhaps it is time for the Ms to get tough on the minor leaguers to tighten up the swings. Problem is Saunders had to go way outside the organization to get help on his swing. That said, I am loath to just abandon people without more effort. Think where we would be if we still had Jones, Cabrera, Choo, LaHair and Morse?

34. eponymous coward on July 23rd, 2012 11:33 am

Do you recall what that article Dave mentioned publishing said? It said that Smoak doesn’t really HAVE significant upside. The upside is “a dude who has a decent year or three hitting and belongs in MLB, but isn’t really anything special”. This is essentially Mike Carp’s upside as well. If you “fix” Smoak, you end up with another Mike Carp… and if you figure Montero is going to either end up at 1B or DH, you’re looking at competition for the other position between those two (plus whoever you bring into the organization), or a trade once you “fix” Smoak (unless he ends up going elsewhere as part of a “we’ll fix up the broken prospect” deal). Two guys like Smoak/Carp is better than one, but two ~1.5 WAR players don’t add up to a ~3 WAR player- we’re probably not looking at a star.

35. The_Waco_Kid on July 23rd, 2012 11:40 am

Does anyone know what 1B would be available in the off-season?

36. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 11:41 am

Loney:(

37. formerstarQB16 on July 23rd, 2012 11:55 am

Westside guy –

He’s slugging about .400 away. Which isn’t great, but it’s not terrible. Combine that with the 32 HR’s he’d be on pace for, and I’d be ok with it. His real problem is contact, as he’s only batting .213 away from the Safe.

My point is, what effect does his struggles at Safeco… and the resulting consistent beat down he gets from the press… have on his confidence to hit a baseball? If you’re already fragile mentally, and Safeco makes you hit like a 13 year old girl, it’s a little tough to suddenly collect yourself once you hit the road.

38. Klatz on July 23rd, 2012 12:10 pm

Smoak has deserved a demotion although I’m not sure Carp is fully healthy yet. The bigger worry in my mind is Ackley. He’s not progressed either since the break either in strikeout rate or power, minus the 1 home run.

39. make_dave_proud on July 23rd, 2012 12:31 pm

> Churchill just posted that Smoak should stay.

Yes, because Jason believes that the only way one can improve is to continually see major league pitching. Which, apparently makes places like Tacoma, Jackson, etc. completely useless. I believe he indicated Smoak should be benched — as if that’s helping him by seeing no pitching.

Smoak is presently over-matched in the big leagues. I’m not convinced he has the bat speed, the eye, the judiciousness that a big league hitter needs. I’m sure he’s working hard and trying to stay positive, but it’s not a fair fight at the moment.

He needs to be out of the conversation for a while, get his head on straight and square up a few balls. If Safeco has *that* much of an effect on the guy, he doesn’t need to be here.

40. marc w on July 23rd, 2012 1:08 pm

Waco Kid – perhaps the biggest name amongst the 1B free agents to be is Mike Napoli. A bit of position flexibility, some power, etc. Will probably cost quite a bit. Carlos Lee’s another one.

formerstar -
    This is what Smoak’s done to us. It makes us look at a road split slugging percentage of .400 and go, “that’s not terrible.” That’s actually quite terrible. That’s completely unacceptable from a major league first baseman. There’s a huge, huge gulf between “well, that’s better than the alternative” and “that’s not terrible.” Smoak’s performance on the road is awful, and it’s a far cry better than what he’s done at home.

Smoak is pretty clearly not this bad. He’s in his head right now, and that’s why I think it might be valuable for him to work with a different hitting coach for a while. But his road stats point at what he could become – a low average, decent power, poor OBP guy. If everything breaks right, he could be Mike Jacobs for a while. Of course, Mike Jacobs was terrible, so that doesn’t argue for keeping Smoak.

41. GarForever on July 23rd, 2012 1:19 pm

Point taken, mjf99, but I think it’s important to draw two distinctions here.

1. The previous front office was responsible for the departure of the first three players you mention, all in trades that were arguably ill-advised since they were made in the attempt to bolster teams that weren’t necessarily good enough to trade away young talent for marginal wins. It wasn’t a case of giving up on them, but trading them for questionable value in return.
    2. Aside from Choo, I think it’s hard to make the case that the M’s “gave up too early.” Cabrera was still in the minors, and the Indians knew they were probably jacking us, and Bavasi probably did, too, but he was in win-now-or-I’ll-lose-my-job mode. Jones was a top prospect and caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth with his departure for Bedard. LaHair had an unbelievable first half this season, but he’s been regressing significantly. I’d still take him over Justin Smoak this year, but he was a 28-year-old when the M’s finally let him go. Morse had shown no signs of what he ultimately became with Washington, aside from the fact that he is still quite “fra-gee-lay.”

Finally, none of those players is actually Justin Smoak, who has stunk it up worse than any of them have at any point.

For what it’s worth.

42. formerstarQB16 on July 23rd, 2012 2:19 pm

Marc -

Like I’ve said a couple of times. I think the mental aspect of this is the most important. I don’t disagree in sending him down to Tacoma, as I’m for anything that could help clear his head. But to say he’s a bust… or has a ceiling of Mike Jacobs… is ignoring all the other factors at play here.

The mob mentality on Smoak is the thing that’s really bugging me. Adrian Gonzalez, Justin Morneau, Mike Napoli, Logan Morrison, Yonder Alonso, Eric Hosmer… they all have Slugging percentages below .450. Nobody is saying these guys are replacement level players.

The guy is struggling and needs to find a way to hit a curveball… but he’s not a bust yet.

43. bsoly on July 23rd, 2012 2:28 pm

I posted these numbers over at prospect insider, and I think they are very telling.
    Basically, Smoak, and to a lesser extent Ackley, were rushed to the majors before they were ready.

Check this out…
    Smoak has only 773 total plate appearances at the minor league level!
    At AAA, his slash was .253/.379/.414

Compare Smoak’s 773 minor league pa’s to these young hitters…

J. Montero – 2038
    M. Trout – 1312
    M. Trumbo – 3069
    A. McCutchen – 2223
    J. Votto – 3016

The difference is startling, and when you throw in Ackley’s # of 918, it becomes clear that the M’s organization completely messed up in the development of their two biggest building blocks.

44. eternal on July 23rd, 2012 2:31 pm

I don’t think Guti is fragile. Getting hit in the temple would hve most likely taken anyone down. He has had a string of bad luck but there’s no reason to give up on him. I imagine we’ll have an outfield of Wells, Saunders and Guti in 2013.

45. marc w on July 23rd, 2012 3:05 pm

bsoly-
    So much of that is simply the difference between drafting a HS kid and drafting a college player. Of course the HS kids are going to play a lot more milb games. But I’m with you that Smoak hasn’t exactly dominated AAA.

former-
    “The mob mentality on Smoak is the thing that’s really bugging me.”
    I hear you, but fans are going to get upset when their 1B is hitting like a no-bat shortstop. The scrutiny and the jeers directed at him right now are great reasons to send him down. Whatever the M’s are doing with Justin, it’s not working. Without placing blame on Chambliss, player devel., or Smoak, the fact is that they need to do something else. Let Pentland have a turn, and get Smoak out of the MLB spotlight.

As for whether he’s a bust or not, take a look at everything he’s done as a pro, minor league, MLB, all of it – how many decent 1Bs have a 2,000PA sample like that? If that’s not enough of a sample, what IS enough? 4,000? Where should those PAs occur?

We’d all love it if Smoak figured something out and took charge of the 1B job. But the M’s can’t count on that. Right now, with all of the info we’ve got, it’s hard to argue that they need to let him hit his way out of this multi-year slump.

46. marc w on July 23rd, 2012 3:08 pm

eternal-

“I don’t think Guti is fragile.”

Wow. Just…wow. Even Chris Snelling thinks Guti’s fragile. Language is slippery, and maybe others have a different interpretation of “fragile” in a baseball context, but if Guti’s not “fragile” then the word can’t be used in a baseball context. Rich Harden? Durability-challenged. Adam Moore? Just had an admirable work/life balance.

47. kinbote on July 23rd, 2012 3:09 pm

so long ichiro

48. terry on July 23rd, 2012 3:09 pm

Did Ichiro just get traded?

49. terryoftacoma on July 23rd, 2012 3:10 pm

yes and he’ll play against us tonight.. For two relief pitcher!! WTH?

50. bsoly on July 23rd, 2012 3:16 pm

Marc W,

Good point about the HS/College comparison.
    It makes Smoak’s case all the more discouraging, doesn’t it?
    I’m no scout… and obviously Smoak was a highly ranked prospect for a reason. It just seems like Smoak has always been more about perceived potential that actual results.

51. bookbook on July 23rd, 2012 3:21 pm

Bsoly, the difference between HS draftees (or 16-year-olds signed out of South America) and top-of-the-draft first round college stars is kinda obvious. Ackley only got as many minor league ABs as he did because he was learning a new defensive position. Smoak and Ackley didn’t get too few minor league PAs at all, in my opinion.

52. eponymous coward on July 23rd, 2012 3:31 pm

Uh, officially wow. I guess that’s one way to get Carp on the roster without demoting Smoak: trade Ichiro.

53. r-gordon-7 on July 23rd, 2012 3:52 pm

As a Bronx native who’s lived in Seattle for the past 32 years, I typically don’t “officially” start rooting for the Yankees each year until the M’s have been mathematically eliminated. I don’t think I’ll be waiting that long this year… or perhaps ever again. Overall, I consider Ichiro to be the second most talented position player I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch play the game. (Willie Mays being the first.) Is Ichiro in decline due to age. Of course. But even in decline, Ichiro’s current level of productivity still beats that of most of the deadwood performance on the current M’s roster. And given the utter dearth of marketable talent on the current M’s roster (“marketable” as in capable of putting butts in the seats at Safeco), trading Ichiro for these two pitchers is inexcusable… Well, at least they each do seem to have bounced up and down between the majors and minors enough times to fit right in as Mariners… Sad day for M’s fans – and those of us who used to be M’s fans. I’ll be at Safeco tonight – rooting for Ichiro and his team. Sorry for the rant, but for me this is the final straw…

54. goat on July 23rd, 2012 6:19 pm

I’d give Jaso time at 1B before Montero. He got some practice over there in spring training.

55. The Hamms Bear on July 23rd, 2012 10:13 pm