Game 117, Rays at Mariners

marc w · August 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Blake Beavan vs. Alex Cobb, 7:10pm

The M’s return home to face the Tampa Bay Rays, who’ve won six in a row to take over the wild card lead from Baltimore/Anaheim/Oakland. The M’s start Blake Beavan, who’s given up 4 HRs over his last two starts. Safeco should help with that, but as Dave’s mentioned, just throwing strikes isn’t going to be enough – he’s got to throw good strikes. He’s still been better since his return from Tacoma, giving up 2 walks in 34 1/3 to go with 4 HRs and 20 Ks (but 20 runs). He could still stand to use his breaking pitches more effectively; Olivo seemed to call for a first-pitch curve nearly every time against Baltimore, but he was either behind in the count or wasn’t able to put hitters away. We’ll see if Jesus Montero has a different approach in mind.

The Rays send Alex Cobb to the hill – the guy who was hit on the shin by a line drive when he faced the M’s in July. As I talked about in that preview, he’s a sinker/splitter pitcher, who gets the most out of subpar stuff by keeping the ball on the ground and in the ballpark. He’s coming off of two excellent starts, going 7 innings and giving up 1 run in each of them – one against Oakland and the other against Toronto. His control may be getting sharper, as he’s giving up fewer walks later in the year, including just 1 in his last 21 innings.

As JY mentioned, Mike Zunino’s been called up to AA Jackson; they’ve got an off day, so look for him to make his high-minors debut tomorrow. The Rainiers broke yet another losing streak last night against Memphis behind a solid outing from Andrew Carraway – they play the Redbirds tonight as Hector Noesi gets the start. Charles Kaalekahi’s starting for Pulaski right now, and Rusty Shellhorn starts for Everett tonight at Spokane.

The line-up:
1: Ackley (1B)
2: Saunders
3: Seager (2B)
4: Jaso (DH)
5: Montero (C)
6: Robinson
7: Thames
8: Figgins (3B)
9: Ryan
SP: Beavan

Looks like Figgy’s rewarded for his two-hit day yesterday, and it looks like Carp’s still not 100% after straining his hip on Seager’s amazing play to get Mike Trout.

Comments

85 Responses to “Game 117, Rays at Mariners”

1. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 7:22 pm

I knew that would happen. I called last night.

2. stevemotivateir on August 13th, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for posting the thread, Marc. With any luck, Figgins will have a little more left in him!

3. stevemotivateir on August 13th, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes, you did Terry! Should we blame you for the jinx?!

4. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:27 pm

No Wells? Is he in the doghouse – or is his career 4-28 with 12K’s vs Tampa Bay, the reason?

Never mind. I think I just answered my own question. Still somewhat surprised that he has had 3 days off in a row. Or is it 4, now?

5. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 7:29 pm

That would be fair. I didn’t say he’d hit anything, though.

6. stevemotivateir on August 13th, 2012 7:31 pm

I was just as surprised, Mike. But then I asked myself, why am I surprised anymore?! Typical, predictable Wedge-move.

7. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 7:33 pm

If we don’t see Wells against Moore then we’ll really know he’s in the doghouse for something.

8. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 7:47 pm

I’m a Beavan Believan!

9. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:48 pm

Surprisingly, Wells has had success vs. James Shields (3-8). He is 1-22 against the rest of the Tampa bay staff, but I do agree with you – if he sits against Moore, something is most definitely ‘up.’

He has been slumping, but he is still developing – and the extended time off is a bit mysterious.

10. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:50 pm

… “developing” in terms of MLB experience, not necessarily – age.

That’s what I meant to say.

11. wilchiro on August 13th, 2012 7:50 pm

Fuld does not look 5’10″.

12. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 7:51 pm

What’s weird is no one in the media is talking about Wells lack of playing time, as far as I can tell.

So who knows – could be Wedge being Wedge, could be Wells is having dizziness issues we’re not hearing about (although that would be unusual), could be Casper hit on Z’s wife at a function a few weeks ago…

13. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:52 pm

… And all this time I had you confused for a Lefebvre Beliebvre, exclusively.

14. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 7:54 pm

Ooh, I remember that now. I should get big bucks for coming up with a new bad ad slogan.

Nothing in Wells’ Twitter stream either, FWIW.

Okay, I’ve now stopped Believan in Beavan.

15. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, at least we know BJ can hit here. c

16. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:56 pm

Now Westy, it would be hard for me to believe that someone with over 20 years of uniformed personnel experience (such as Wedge) could ever make a bad decision. I, for one – simply refuse to Beliebvre it.

Huh, Upton hit the poo out of that one! Nice placement.

17. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 7:57 pm

I keep trying to respond to that, Mike, but my laughter keeps interrupting my train of thought.

18. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 7:59 pm

Any word on when Carp is due back from his injured hip? Is that a day to day thing at this point? He certainly looked like he could have popped a spring during a few of those extended stretches.

19. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:01 pm

They’re listing it as day to day.

20. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:01 pm

Man, they are lighting Beavan up.

21. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:01 pm

At this rate, maybe Wells will pitch later this game. Beavan is bad tonight

… And getting worse.

Crud

22. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Terry

???? Westy

23. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:04 pm

Geez – that was a real nice play by Figgins. Do or die on that one. Now – watch him miss a routine play, later.

24. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:05 pm

Day to day means they’ll give a couple of days if he doesn’t improve they’ll retro him back to yesterday but you know that.

25. californiamariner on August 13th, 2012 8:06 pm

Even when I’m not on the computer while watching the Mariners, I have to come on here and express how much I hate watching Beavan pitch and hope he’s done as a starter after this year. Ok, done ranting.

26. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:07 pm

I meant :) – Westy.

iPhone quirk.

27. vetted_coach on August 13th, 2012 8:08 pm

Especially (Wells) the way Saunders has been slumping. If it’s Wedge, then he’s being a turd for some reason.

BTW, my comments will continue to be aggressive and most likely accurate. Whine if you like, but this is the last of the “apologies” for my experience.

I’ve never been personal – just blunt.

If this is the wrong venue for someone with a 30-year on-the-field pro resume (and it very well could be), I will certainly bow out.

28. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:08 pm

We all appreciate your dedication and commitment, californiamariner. Do not believe that it goes un-noticed.

29. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:09 pm

Sure, blame the iPhone.

30. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:10 pm

Door – stage right. After tallying your incorrect comments, please.

Thanks.

31. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:10 pm

Those Iphones are pure hell

32. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey did anyone notice Delabar got 4 K’s in the tenth inning of a game today? First time that’s happened in extra innings, apparently.

33. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:14 pm

Figgins says he can still hit – I’d like to see more of it today.

34. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:14 pm

I knew Langston did. I forget about Jamie.

35. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:18 pm

“it very well could be”

Does that also mean “it very well could not be,” too?

The smart money is on the latter.

And, if you made a mistake within that last/final comment – please add it to your list of mistakes.

36. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:30 pm

Keith Law on Mike Trout, before the 2009 draft:

“He has above average speed but isn’t a burner”

hahahahahahaha

Ranked him at #20, not too far from where the Angels drafted him.

37. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:33 pm

“Probably not enough arm strength to move to right field”

Yeah… don’t think that’s going to be a problem.

38. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:33 pm

Law nailed that one. Apparently there was a lot of bad weather in the new jersey area where Trout played as a senior and he didn’t get an “extended look” by a lot of teams.

Fortunately, Steven Baron got an extended look so the Mariners could take him shortly after the Angels drafted Trout (approx 15 picks later)

And thank you for changing the subject, too. He offered. I couldn’t accept quickly enough.

39. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:34 pm

One of these days, on a Montero grounder like that one – I want to see the third baseman pull an apple out of his pocket, take a couple bites, THEN throw Monty out at first.

40. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:35 pm

Haha Mike:)

41. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:35 pm

hehe, I wasn’t intentionally changing the subject actually. I got bored with the game, and started reading more about the guy the Mariners and 21 other teams missed.

42. terryoftacoma on August 13th, 2012 8:36 pm

I think a race between Monty and the Molina brothers would be close.

43. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:39 pm

Funny, Trout was originally a second baseman – I didn’t know that.

44. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:44 pm

SWEET!! Trayvon with a triple!!

45. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:47 pm

Okay Figgy, let’s see some of that hitting you can still do.

46. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice oppo power by Trayvon, there. “gap” power – that is. Need another run this inning to make a game of it.

And … Figgins is our go-to-guy.

47. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:48 pm

NOT AGAIN. Thames, you idiot.

48. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:50 pm

Shit … That is two base running errors by Thames in the past couple/few games.

Inexcusable mistakes, too.

Blowers is going real easy on him. Damn!

49. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 8:56 pm

I know our guys are young – but over the last few years, it just seems like I see a lot more stupid baserunning mistakes from the Mariners than their opponents.

Other teams have young players too…

50. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 8:59 pm

Brumley coaches the base runners. He is in the last year of his deal. Omar Vizquel would like to be a Manager some day soon. Probably much sooner than Wedge would be comfortable with

Who was a better base runner in their career … Brumley or Vizquel.

Just saying.

51. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:03 pm

WHAT were you swinging at Michael??

52. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:08 pm

Needed a QUOP bomb, there. The guys at LL call Montero “QUOP.”

Being old, I had to google it – but it fits pretty well – when attempting to describe his running “style.”

53. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:13 pm

Capps looks 18 – with wide shoulders and a lot of potential to add 20+ pounds of good weight. Added weight isn’t always helpful for a pitcher but in his case, it very well could be – since he is quite thin, now.

54. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:22 pm

Which QUOP definition Mike? ;-)

I had to look that up too, but then I’m even older.

55. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:30 pm

There is a video game which controls a runner – via use of the Q,U,O and “P” keys, apparently. The game is difficult to control well and the “runner” ends up doing a raggedy Anne arm and leg flailing dive into/on/aroumd the running surface.

That is the written definition that best fit, anyway. There were a couple “other” definitions/videos … Which you may or may not have found.

56. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:32 pm

Oh, haha. That wasn’t one I found.

I’d found something about a “quarter pound of weed”, and another about being “suspiciously gay”. :-D

57. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:45 pm

This team is putting its (remaining) fans to sleep.

58. Rainiers_fan on August 13th, 2012 9:47 pm

QUOP is the perfect nickname. Not sure I have ever seen a runner move so much without discernable forward progress.

59. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:48 pm

Man, Ryan really has problems with holding onto his bat.

60. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:49 pm

Did you find the one with the incessant swearing rap song?

I am still trying to figure out the words to Rick Springield songs, so there is no way I will ever understand the QUOP song.

61. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:50 pm

Does Ryan get another beer shower when his average drops below .200 again?

62. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:51 pm

Hehe, I asked my daughter about “the QUOP game” and she immediately knew what I was talking about.

63. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:52 pm

I assume that is not a euphemism, Westy?

Please say “no” … Even if your heart says “yes”

64. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah Mike, except on the way down he gets pelted with beer bottles.

65. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:53 pm

I am euphemism-free tonight, Mike – takes too much energy. This team is working its magic on me as well.

Can we send an entire line-up down to AAA?

66. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 9:55 pm

Rainiers fan: when is Hultzen scheduled to pitch again – and what is your scouting report on Lafromboise?

Thank you!

67. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:55 pm

Are these really the same guys that took 2 of 3 from Anaheim?!

68. MKT on August 13th, 2012 9:57 pm

Actually it’s QWOP not QUOP. You control the runner by using letters on your keyboard, so QW makes a lot more sense than QU (i.e. the term is based on placement of keyboard letters, not on spelling).

69. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:57 pm

Please give Saunders a mental break, Mr. Wedge sir.

70. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 9:58 pm

Ah, makes sense MKT – thanks!

71. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 10:02 pm

Well that was something you don’t get to see every day. Molina stole a base … With a lot of help from Montero, but a SB, nonetheless.

That was yuck!

72. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh! Hahaha, I thought the game had ended! Nope, it just feels like it ended, four or five innings ago.

73. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes yes yes “QWOP”

Shit, my bad.

74. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:05 pm

No wonder I got such weird Google results. :-D

75. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:08 pm

Fernando Rodney has the beard of a Batman villain.

76. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 10:09 pm

You realize – I am going to have to google the wrong version spelling now. I have no idea what rabbit hole I sent you down.

I like being able to use the “I am too old to know shit” excuse, though.

How about a 4 run walk off rally to wake everyone up.

77. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:10 pm

Okay, Seager! We won’t send you down!

Come on Jaso!!

78. vetted_coach on August 13th, 2012 10:11 pm

OK…I’m convinced. Wedge is an idiot, Saunders flat out stinks (has for his entire career, minus 2-1/2 weeks), and Wells will have to wait til he’s released to come back and murder this club like a few dozen other guys before him.

And, oh yeah, this website is actually a private conversation between two bff’s. Too big time for me. I can’t keep up: one of you prefers a healthy Guti to Adam Jones. That’s some heavy-ass insight.

Enjoy your patty-cake, boys. Ban me, Dave. Please.

79. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:13 pm

That was a crap call – not even close to the strike zone.

80. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:15 pm

What the heck was that pose by Rodney? Has he always done that?

81. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 10:16 pm

I thought you already left. Good veteran grit to come back for one last blast. You will be missed

82. msfanmike on August 13th, 2012 10:32 pm

Per Wedge: Carp going on the DL.

No conspiracy. Actually injured.

More Smoak? Man, I hope not.

83. Westside guy on August 13th, 2012 10:48 pm

I feel bad for Carp – he was putting it together lately.

84. Rainiers_fan on August 13th, 2012 11:04 pm

Of course I get it now, QWOP fits the keyboard better. Thanks for the clarification. Old dude here, totally ignorant but now miraculously schooled and wise in the ways of QWOP.

@Mike, sorry but I haven’t heard much about Hultzen since the statement about limiting his innings. He has pitched 108 innings in the minors this year after pitching 95, 106, and 118 the last three years at Virginia. The Rainiers won’t be in the playoffs so their season will end Sep 3rd. As long as he’s healthy he could easily start the rest of the season and be right on track innings wise. That is just an assumption based on numbers I looked up after he was limited, I don’t have any inside info.

From personal observation, Hultzen generally looks rather good for a guy new to AAA. His last start was rough, he was missing high and got hit a little. Up until then he was getting Ks but giving up walks as well, mostly missing high when he was out of the strike zone. He has some nice pitches and had a great start against Dan Straily of the River Cats (now up with the A’s) Both pitchers were so good it ended up going 18 innings. (That and Triunfel didn’t start LOL)

Lafromboise has been the closer since Prior was called up. He doesn’t have overpowering stuff but he’s been effective. Kind of a Bleavin type but in the bullpen. Not a big prospect but I like him and he gets outs.

85. stevemotivateir on August 14th, 2012 5:47 am

Sorry to miss the fun last night. I opted for sleep :)

@vc
    “Blunt” is for people who don’t think before they speak. You don’t need to wait for a ban, just honor your word, and go away.