Game 149, Orioles at Mariners

marc w · September 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Erasmo Ramirez vs. Wei-Yin Chen, 7:10pm

Well, it’s gotta be better than yesterday’s unwatchable contest. How’s that for a game thread introduction? Hey, it’s true. This game is going to be Noesi-free, and I think that makes it easier to get into, despite the playing-out-the-string aspect of it. And if Hector Noesi doesn’t show any improvement, then tonight’s starter is one of the clear beneficiaries. Erasmo Ramirez could be the half-decent #3 we wanted Noesi to be, and Ramirez’s development is one of the few remaining items of interest in Marinerland this month.

Opposing Erasmo is Wei-Yin Chen, the Taiwanese pitcher who came over from the Japanese leagues this season to give the Orioles a crucial, steadying 2-3 win season. The Orioles starting pitchers, especially once Jason Hammel went down, have been bad (not that the M’s have noticed), and Chen’s solid lefty stuff (combined with his durability) is a key reason the Orioles are in a playoff race. He dominated the M’s back on July 3rd, going 7+ and striking out 9 while walking none. The game ended up a contest between bullpens, with Pedro Strop blowing a lead before Charlie Furbush gave up a game-winning HR, but on that day, Chen outpitched King Felix.

He’s uses a good rising four-seam fastball along with a slider and change-up to post slightly better than average K rates and slightly better than average BB rates. He’s given up a fair number of home runs, but he doesn’t have exceptional gopheritis. He’s a solid pitcher who succeeds because he can put himself in pitchers counts. In fact, his splits by count are one of the most interesting things about him. If you just read Dave’s post about John Jaso, you know how important getting ahead is to a hitter. When Chen gets to 0-1, batters post a .244 wOBA and Chen luxuriates in a FIP of 2.54. If he starts 1-0, the story’s a bit different: batters have a .375 wOBA and his FIP’s over 6. Most any pitcher is going to have extreme splits between 0-1 and 1-0, but Chen’s are remarkable. (For the other end of the spectrum, check out Blake Beavan). He’s been successful because he’s able to *get* to 0-1 counts. Go back to his last outing in Seattle – how many batters put a ball in play when they were ahead in the count? Zero. The M’s put 14 balls in play against Chen that day (not including one HR), 3 came on the first pitch of the at-bat, 4 came in even counts, and 7 came in pitcher’s counts. Add those to his 9 strikeouts and it’s pretty clear that Chen was ahead of the M’s all night (2 of the ‘even counts’ were 2-2 counts, where the batter had to expand the zone to avoid a K). If the M’s want to avoid a repeat, they’re going to have to be smart. Don’t let him get first-pitch fastballs over.

Erasmo Ramirez is easily one of the most likeable M’s prospects in a while, and his growth from low-velo control artist to a guy who can hit 95 with some regularity while maintaining solid walk rates is perhaps the M’s player development system’s biggest success story in recent years. Here’s the righty-heavy line-up behind him (at least Jaso will be available as a PH? Right?):

1: Ackley
2: Gutierrez
3: Seager
4: Montero (DH)
5: Saunders
6: Smoak
7: Wells
8: Olivo (C)
9: Ryan
SP: Erasmoooooo

Comments

195 Responses to “Game 149, Orioles at Mariners”

1. 9inningknowitall on September 18th, 2012 4:12 pm

I do like the defense in the outfield tonight.

2. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 4:21 pm

Hopefully Casper won’t hurt his neck during BP tonight.

3. nwade on September 18th, 2012 4:23 pm

No-Li-Vo?!?! Grrrr!

4. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 4:32 pm

Haha, I’d love to hear the King’s Court chanting “No-O-No-Li-Vo”!

5. PackBob on September 18th, 2012 4:40 pm

Great write-ups on the game pitchers, as always.

6. Mariners35 on September 18th, 2012 4:55 pm

My god, I can’t wait until Zunino (righty bat) gets here, so that the stupid platooning nonsense reasons go away, and we’ll always have a competent catcher or DH in regardless of handedness… the dynamic trio of Zunino / Jaso / Montero in the C/DH rotation can’t get here fast enough.

And no, I don’t agree that Montero should be turned into a 1b. Montero should catch once a week or so and be considered the ‘emergency catcher’ / 3rd catcher, and primarily DH otherwise.

7. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 4:56 pm

I’d love to see Olivo in King County Court, to be tried for reckless endangerment with both the glove and bat.

8. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 5:07 pm

I can’t wait to read the comments if Olivo and Figgins end up with the team next year. However, I’ll forego the amusement of that if one isn’t.

Honestly, who would we complain about if they weren’t on the team?

The minute I saw Chen was pitching I knew Olivo would be in the lineup.

Nice to see Wells in right!

9. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 5:21 pm

SSS aware but aren’t Jaso’s left-handed splits still better than nOlivo’s?

When Figgins, Mune and nOlivo are gone we could still complain about Smoak, because we know the team realizes his hitting woes are in the past with his recent improvement, and he will likely start 2013 at 1b. On that note, what do you guys think of Ike Davis as a possible trade target? He bats left and if you can overlook his early season struggles has had a decent season. I’m not sure how the Mariners match up with the Mets, but they’re a wreck at just about every position too so we’d likely have something they’d want, right? I believe Davis represents an improvement over at least Carp and Smoak so there’s that.

10. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 5:29 pm

Actually they’re not Jordan.

Jaso:135/262/162 wRC+ 31 wOBA 210

Olivo:210/228/395 wRC+ 70 wOBA 266

Both are bad but in this case Olivo’s less bad. SSS of course.

11. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 6:18 pm

Ouch, that is Figgins low. He’s still getting on base but not doing anything with the contact. Perhaps if he had a few more at bats he could become less pathetic? I guess we will probably never know.

12. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 6:28 pm

It’s not fair to call Jaso’s splits against lefties “pathetic”. Thrity five AB’s just isn’t enough. His numbers against RHP weren’t much higher in spring. Look how that turned out.

13. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 6:53 pm

True. Steve I’d like to see him get a chance against left handers more often. Still he has batted only .163 in 115 AB lifetime. Not enough at bats to call his spits bad for my money but enough to hold him back in the mind of some.

14. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah, but 115 AB’s over 3 years, shouldn’t scream “can’t hit lefties”. Maybe his minor league stats tell a different tale? What I do know, is he should be getting more looks, especially at this point in the season.

15. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 7:09 pm

Let’s look at the plus side. When Olivo’s played recently, Wedge puts him far, far down in the lineup.

For all we know, Olivo’s playing time may simply be Wedge’s attempt at keeping the clubhouse calm – “he’s on the roster, he’s been a good guy so we might as well give him a few starts before we cut him loose”. Perhaps come spring Jaso will start getting starts against righties.

16. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 7:13 pm

Yay, Erasmo’s already better than Noesi was at this point in the game! ;-)

17. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 7:19 pm

Before reading the comments, you might want to check the obituaries to see if the news led to a spate of fan suicides.

18. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 7:22 pm

Seager’s RBIs have, understandably, really fallen off in the second half of the season.

19. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 7:22 pm

Good one, Westy haha

20. 9inningknowitall on September 18th, 2012 7:38 pm

I know Seager will never be a power hitter or even a super star but having a guy with 81 RBI’s and 18 home runs isn’t to shabby. Even if he doesn’t improve over the years and just holds at these numbers I’d be okay with that for the most part. If he wasn’t blocked by Ackley at 2nd I’d like to see him there but if Ackley comes around then it is less of an issue.

21. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 7:50 pm

It’s nice to see Smoak have a few games where he is productive, but I remember he had a pretty good September (or at least for a good portion of it) last year, so I am very leery of what could be a “false positive”. Plus, it’s only a few games. The overall body of work left too many lingering memories.

Sorry to be a Debi-downer, but his swing is still executed in an odd looking un-coiling that sometimes isn’t even sequenced with itself very well (top half and bottom half)

Nice catch Casper. Keep playing him, please!

22. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 7:51 pm

You really can’t say he’s blocked by Ackley, because there’s nobody forcing a look at third, and he’s been fairly decent there. There’s plenty of second basemen in the system as well, so it’s highly unlikely he’d end up there even if Ackley failed. Worth noting, Ackley has been fine defensively.

23. Jim Kaker on September 18th, 2012 7:52 pm

OLIVO ACTUALLY WALKED!!! That’s his 5th one of the year, woot woot!!!

24. henryv on September 18th, 2012 7:52 pm

If we have to have a terrible player who can’t catch worth a damned, why can’t we just put Luis Jimenez behind the plate?

I mean we put Hector Noesi AND Anthony Vazquez on the mound for us in 12 months. There is no shame we haven’t already caused ourselves.

25. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 7:54 pm

You’re not a debi-downer, Mike! It’s a legitimate point.

26. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 7:56 pm

Funny Henry! He looks like the kind of catcher you see in the movies.

27. henryv on September 18th, 2012 8:02 pm

I would like to have Luis Jimenez play goaltender in my old guys hockey league.

28. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 8:05 pm

Luis Jiminez and “behind a plate” – just seem to be a natural fit.

29. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 8:08 pm

Starting at catcher The Wall of Jimenez.

30. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 8:09 pm

Oh, you meant ‘home plate’. I guess both definitions apply.

31. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 8:11 pm

Ramirez isn’t looking too bad, eh?

32. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 8:14 pm

Did I successfully ruin your joke, Mike? I did my best.

33. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 8:16 pm

I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t expect Erasmo Ramirez to be a decent pitcher in the 5 man rotation.

34. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 8:22 pm

Miguel!!

35. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 8:22 pm

Durability is about the only concern at this point. Perhaps the Mariners can shop Jimenez as a stopgap backstop? Steve, Jaso’s numbers in their current state are pathetic, but I definitely recognize SSS and completely advocate giving him a shot at improvement until Zunino forces his way onto the roster.

36. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 8:23 pm

Maybe there’s somethan to our Olivo-bitching being a reverse jinx?

37. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 8:25 pm

Jaso hasn’t had enough at bats to properly evaluate, I was just shocked how low they were. I guess when you’re hitting 160 WRC+ for the last 4 months I wouldn’t expect below Figgins’ rate from the other side.

Steve, I know it works for me with Brad Evans and the Sounders + it couldn’t hurt any, either he’s still Olivo or …no, he’s still nOlivo.

38. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 8:37 pm

Erasmo seems to be pitching well tonight…I am kind of excited about him. Nice to see some of our young pitchers actually pitching well…I am excited about the future…

39. matthew on September 18th, 2012 8:40 pm

Because I know that Guti reads USSMariner, I would like to thank him for being injured so much over the last couple of years, just so that I wouldn’t be subjected to listening to Dave Sims butchering his last name.

He would have to hit around 80 homers a year to make up for all of the cringing caused by hearing Sims say his name.

40. stevemotivateir on September 18th, 2012 8:43 pm

The point was, 35 AB’s can’t warrant any label, other than ‘insufficient’.

41. matthew on September 18th, 2012 8:44 pm

Dave Sims pronunciation of “Gutierrez” is like scratching a chalkboard against another chalkboard.

42. henryv on September 18th, 2012 8:46 pm

What they failed to mention is that Sami Salo destroyed Atlantis with his slap shot.

43. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 8:48 pm

Dave Sims is absolutely annoying anytime his mouth is moving…

44. henryv on September 18th, 2012 8:50 pm

If you complain about Simms you may have forgotten that not that long ago Ron Farley called games for this team.

45. henryv on September 18th, 2012 8:51 pm

SMOAK.

That is what we want to see from Smoak. Doubles against a LHP.

46. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 8:51 pm

I am blissfully ignorant of Sim’s voice.

47. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 8:53 pm

LOL Farley was terrible and always was…

48. henryv on September 18th, 2012 8:54 pm

Pitchers, DO NOT cover the plate if you’re not going to make the out. Just stand there, and watch Miguel Olivo (or whoever else, but probably Olivo) go pick up the ball.

49. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 8:54 pm

Regarding Olivo’s earlier homer – nobody’s ever said he couldn’t hit a mistake pitch a mile. Chen left an off-speed pitch up, and Olivo absolutely destroyed it.

50. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:00 pm

I’m also glad to see Guti’s left hand remained attached to his left forearm after that diving attempt in the fifth inning.

51. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:05 pm

Wedge has stayed with a 2/1 rotation with his catchers for the last couple of weeks for the most part. Two days at either DH or catcher followed by a day off. I’d be interested in seeing if he keeps that up for the last two weeks. I bet he does.

52. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:09 pm

As Farley might say, “that was fairly well said”. Assuming he isn’t busy somewhere “in a van, down by the river!!! – or playing hockey under water.

53. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:11 pm

Boy, after Noesi’s performance in last night’s game… I really needed to see Erasmo do well tonight!

Thanks guy! You’ve helped preserve what little sanity I continue to possess!

54. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:12 pm

Is it just me, or is this game taking way to long for a 2-0 game?

55. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:14 pm

There have been a few long at-bats that ended up amounting to nothing – maybe that’s why, Henry.

56. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:14 pm

*to = too, because I do word as good as Miguel Olivo does catch.

57. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:16 pm

… And doing it against a team that NEEDS to win. As someone stated above – no reason he can’t be considered a solid #5 candidate. Vargas is coming back if the team wants him. Iwakuma has said he would like to come back. That leaves one spot for a solid FA or another pup.

Maybe KC needs a Paxton, because we sure need a Butler. And a Gordon, Cabrera or etc.

58. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:25 pm

Vargas is going to cost nearly $8M… Not a terrible price for a ~2 win player who perfectly fits your stadium.

Now you bring in the fences, and it might make him look significantly worse that he does now, but he’s still a reliable pitcher who doesn’t get hurt much.

He is also ugly as sin, so he’s a good morale booster for Mike Carp.

Trading pitching prospects for bats is nearly always a great idea, and I hope the team dumb enough to get Yuni twice might actually do it.

59. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:26 pm

And now go get him.

60. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:27 pm

No, SERIOUSLY, GO GET HIM!

61. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 9:28 pm

Just let Wilhelmsen finish this……

62. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:28 pm

If that’s actually a 5 digit crowd, I’ll eat my hat.

63. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:33 pm

Suck!!!

64. henryv on September 18th, 2012 9:33 pm

Ah, Eric Wedge, a hitter late and a brain cell short.

65. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:33 pm

I had this nice write up about bunting there and he bunted before I could finish it.

66. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:35 pm

bum deal for Ramirez…should not have started the inning or at least only gotten the first guy….crazy…

67. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:36 pm

Don’t worry, guys – Olivo is batting this inning!

68. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:36 pm

haha Westy.. Miguel go long! Bet Jaso hits for him, though.

69. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:37 pm

No he won’t. Smoak is going to end it, early. Walk off for Smoak. I am calling his shot. Bank on it. He’s the man!

70. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:39 pm

A smart manager would pinch-hit Jaso for Olivo, given that Baltimore has a righty on the mound. But I’m guessing he pinch-hits for Wells instead.

If Nostra-Mikey is right, though, it won’t matter!

71. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:40 pm

Yep, he’s the man!

72. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:41 pm

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
    The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
    And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
    But there is no joy in Mudville,
    Nostra-Mikey has struck out.

73. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:41 pm

Haaha Olivo will hit for olivo. We’re both wrong.

74. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:42 pm

Well that was a shitty AB, Casper.

75. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:42 pm

Terry, looks like we both were wrong.

– Great minds and all that!

76. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:43 pm

Nicely done, Westy.

77. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:43 pm

Olivo has walked TWICE today!!

Kudos, Miguel – seriously!

78. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:44 pm

Olivo walks? Wow!

79. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:44 pm

Jaso for Ryan? With a runner on first? OK

80. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey unless Wedge pulls him back – Jaso will be facing a lefty.

81. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:46 pm

Hmm…

82. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:47 pm

Jeez Wedge. You could have at least let him bat.

83. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:48 pm

Best use of Jaso, ever. FO Wedge.

84. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:48 pm

I really dislike Wedge…

85. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:48 pm

Nice AB Liddi

86. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:50 pm

I really don’t get Wedge. Sometimes it’s as if he won’t substitute to save his life, and other times like this he mixes and matches with wild abandon.

87. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 9:50 pm

He didn’t bat and now he can’t. He was “announced” and then pulled back. His beard has a better chance to catch flies than his bat has to hit one – for the rest of today.

Absolutely fucking brilliant managerial strategy. Teams best hitter rendered impotent for the day. You have got to be kidding me !!!

88. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 9:52 pm

It always makes sense to threaten a team with your best hitter and then sub for him with Liddi…

89. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:54 pm

Man, every time I see it – I love Wilhelmen’s curveball!

90. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 9:54 pm

This is why I agree with Showalter. I hate expanded rosters.

91. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 9:55 pm

Next time I hear Blowers say that Showalter bunted because they are 13-2 in extra innings, I’m muting him.

92. vetted_coach on September 18th, 2012 9:56 pm

Wedge lets Saunders flail for 4 AB against left-handed pitching, but pulls Jaso – his best hitter. There’s a word for managers like that: “loser.” And the Mariners keep hiring them. Earn your money, Z.

93. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 9:59 pm

Somebody needs to teach our guys how to bunt – most of them suck at it.

94. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:01 pm

If Montero tries to bunt, I will personally kick Wedge in the groin.

95. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:02 pm

Montero’s bunting.

96. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:03 pm

If that is the case I want to get my shot in too Westside…..

97. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:04 pm

This is possibly Wedges worst managed game this season … And that’s saying something.

98. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:05 pm

Another K…

99. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:05 pm

Did he just swing with his eyes closed?

100. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 10:07 pm

The Mariners are probably the only team in baseball that can afford to give away outs with bunts. They have no issues getting on base. None!

101. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:08 pm

Lefty strike zone strikes again.

102. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:09 pm

On gameday that last pitch looked to be outside…was it?

103. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:10 pm

Not to worry, the Orioles are terrible in one-run games.

104. Jordan on September 18th, 2012 10:10 pm

That last pitch wasn’t even close. Saunders has a great eye. Unfortunately, blue does not.

105. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:10 pm

I started another pot of coffee. This could be a long night.

106. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 10:10 pm

That pitch was outside..

107. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:11 pm

Sarcasm mike?!

108. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:11 pm

Guess Saunders didn’t like the call….

109. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:11 pm

I don’t have to work in the morning, so I may grab some bourbon.

110. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:12 pm

It’s 12:12 here….I might just go to bed….

111. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:13 pm

It was a bad call, but against lefties that does get called a strike quite often.

112. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 10:17 pm

That ball clearly hit the batter.. Home plate umpire blowing it

113. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:17 pm

4 guys missed the ball being re-directed off of a foot and the batter jumping up in the air in pain. Really!

114. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 10:20 pm

Lol Mike, exactly… Jumping in the air wasn’t obvious??

115. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:21 pm

Is this umpire just wanting to go home or what? On gameday he is blowing a ton of strike calls…

116. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:23 pm

Ump’s 6’8″ tall – his back is sore from bending way over, and he wants to go home.

117. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:24 pm

THAT was a nice catch by Olivo, I must say.

And I can’t believe the dude swung at it.

118. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:26 pm

Great, bases loaded, Matt Weiters up.

WHERE’S THAT BOURBON??

HA! KINNEY!!

119. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:31 pm

You are going to have to call your own shot this time, Justin.

120. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:34 pm

Nice bunt…when will Wedge learn????

121. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:35 pm

What is it with this team and crap bunting??

122. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:35 pm

We teach our players to bunt on one knee. It’s called bunt and pray.

123. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 10:35 pm

I guess two walks were enough…might as well swing at the first pitch…

124. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:36 pm

Good God. Statistically reduce your chances to score – with guts that rarely bunt and when the other team knows its coming.

Brilliant!

And with that said, what a shitty effort by Wells. Pinched the bat back – and you will pop it up EVERY TIME. Should have let him hit, regardless

Hey Wedge – go eat a big bag of shit.

125. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:36 pm

Olivo with a steal!

126. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:41 pm

Let me stir the pot here. And our best left hand bat is where Wedge?

127. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:44 pm

^ Playing cards in the clubhouse with Saunders, perchance?

128. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:45 pm

Oh, let me re-phrase … Eat a big “pot” of shit, Wedge.

129. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:48 pm

Hehehe Mike.

130. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:52 pm

Robin Williams quote from “Good Morning Vietnam”

It’s funnier when he says it.

131. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:53 pm

Ackley! So close to just ending it right there!

132. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:53 pm

Spankage!

133. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 10:55 pm

Ackley!! Double means no bunts!!

134. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 10:56 pm

I always thought Wedge was working sunflower seeds, but he’s not. He’s just twitchy in an obsessive compulsive bad decision making and twitchy kind of way.

He does know more than Mike Golic, though.

Another Guti fail.

135. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 10:57 pm

I just about spit bourbon on my screen, Mike.

136. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 10:59 pm

You are the DH.Your mission is to hit. darn it!

137. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 11:01 pm

Designated flail-er…

138. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:07 pm

Okay Millwood start warming up! hehe

139. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:13 pm

Oh, yeah, Figgins is still a Mariner.

140. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:14 pm

hmm Mascot, Wells and Olivo? Good grief!

141. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 11:15 pm

Fastball down the middle for strike 3. I have sure missed you, Figgy!

142. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:16 pm

Too bad Olivo started the game – we could’ve been looking forward to seeing him pitch!

143. seattlesonsofbaseball on September 18th, 2012 11:16 pm

Way to go Chone! I’d hate for you to hurt your arms by swinging the @#$%ing bat! I hope he’s on this team next year! Nothing like watching poop play baseball!

144. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:18 pm

like I didn’t see that coming Mr. Wells.

145. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:19 pm

I can’t say it someone else needs to. hahaha

146. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 11:19 pm

Well I am out for the night…great game management by ol’ Wedge tonight…must be quite proud of himself. What an idiot…

147. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 11:20 pm

Oh boy, that was pretty. The back Leg flying backward, drop to a knee and flail swing. The only thing missing was a pirouette. Nice pitch recognition, Casper.

No, I did not know how to spell pirouette. It spelled itself.

148. seattlesonsofbaseball on September 18th, 2012 11:21 pm

MissouriMariner… don’t even give him sarcasm for his game management! He’ll bunt with a man on first and no outs… god forbid doing it with a man on 2nd and no outs!!! All we do is waste our breath with our frustration on his brilliant managing.

149. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 11:24 pm

How’s the bourbon, Westy? Is it getting along with the one whiskey and the one Scotch?

Speaking of all things Scott/Scotch – where has Mr Z Devotee, been? He has not opined in several fortnights.

150. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:24 pm

You know, after a bit of this Basil Hayden bourbon – ol’ Wedge’s in-game management decisions have started to make sense.

151. MissouriMariner on September 18th, 2012 11:24 pm

Waste of breath and energy…I’m hoping that someday we will actually have a decent manager…not holding my breath though…

152. Breadbaker on September 18th, 2012 11:25 pm

Are there people on the 40 man roster in the greater Seattle area we should be calling in to the game?

153. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:26 pm

You’re right, Mike – where has MrZ been?

I mean if Steve can regularly check in from Sao Paulo, and MissouriMariner can stay up until 2:30am – MrZ should be able to occasionally check in from Puget Sound. :-D

154. californiamariner on September 18th, 2012 11:27 pm

This might be frustrating but I find this game quite entertaining the longer it goes haha

155. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:28 pm

Hehe, Breadbaker, given Wedge’s management – maybe the team needs to dispatch a charter for Zunino.

156. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 11:29 pm

We could sure use some of that Rob Roy MacGregor mojo about now. RIGHT NOW!

Maybe he gave up posting for lent – and then forgot when lent ended.

157. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:29 pm

Don’t ask. I think our bench is down to the windmill.Peguero.

158. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:30 pm

Carp’s available as well, Terry.

Nice swing by Triunfel, but the ball just held up too long.

159. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:33 pm

True. Westy. I wonder if he’s hurt, though. They moved Ackley to first and put Figgy at third.

160. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh, good point.

I bet/fear your implication is right re: Peggy – I bet we’ll see him hit for Wells, if we get to that spot in the lineup again.

161. msfanmike on September 18th, 2012 11:36 pm

Alrighty then ……. It’s the 15th inning and I officially do not give a fuck who wins, now – unless it’s sleep.

Yes, sleep wins!

162. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:38 pm

Night Mike. Can’t blame you a bit.hehe

163. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:40 pm

I’m glad Endy Chavez has managed to make it back and continue with his career – his recovery took long enough.

164. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:44 pm

I don’t think he’ll ever forget Yuni.

165. Breadbaker on September 18th, 2012 11:45 pm

Some consistency from the home plate umpire might help end this game.

166. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:46 pm

Haha, Lookout Landing just got a shout-out from Sims!

167. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:47 pm

All right Trayvon!

168. Westside guy on September 18th, 2012 11:51 pm

Wells – I am pleasantly surprised at Wedge.

169. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:54 pm

So am I. Not that it helped us scoring in any way.

170. terryoftacoma on September 18th, 2012 11:59 pm

Carp must be unavailable or I’ll kick Wedge for letting Figgy bat twice.

171. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:01 am

Bad time for a pitcher to get hurt.

172. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:02 am

Olivo and the coaches saw something but Kelley must have said he was alright.

173. Breadbaker on September 19th, 2012 12:12 am

I was at the 19 inning game. The second Fassero came out to pitch I knew we’d win. The Red Sox had all left the field before Cammy finished rounding the bases and so had the rabid Red Sox fan who had been bothering us for 19 innings.

174. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:16 am

Oh man…

175. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:18 am

Olivo gets 3 walks in one game? He only had 7 before this game for the season..

176. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:30 am

Seager with a double!! Come on!!

177. kenshabby on September 19th, 2012 12:31 am

Sometimes I wish MLB would allow games to end in ties like in NPB. This being one of those times. *sigh*

178. lucky on September 19th, 2012 12:33 am

End in a tie?! Sacrilege! Loving the crowd shots of the folks left holding down the Safe.

179. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:34 am

Bad pitch to swing at, Trayvon.

180. pgreyy on September 19th, 2012 12:36 am

Q: So, what inning will Wedge put Noesi in?
    A: The last.

(Though, it might mean the game never ends.)

181. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:40 am

I just realized – Olivo has been catching for 17 innings now. Good grief.

So has Matt Wieters.

182. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:42 am

Oh man….

183. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:43 am

Studs. Both of them. Diffence is Matt can hit. Olivo bats second.

184. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:45 am

Well, at least Jaso will be catching Felix tomorrow. :-D

185. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:47 am

Jaso would have probably anyway. I’ll bet Olivo DHes and Montaro sits. Jaso against a lefty, too.

186. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:47 am

Double crap.

Nice recovery by Triunfel though.

187. vetted_coach on September 19th, 2012 12:53 am

0 – 17 R I S P Tragiclally pathetic

188. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:54 am

Well there’s Carp… so he’s not hurt.

189. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:54 am

Can I kick Wedge now?

190. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 12:55 am

Please do, Terry.

Good night, folks – thanks for sticking it out.

191. terryoftacoma on September 19th, 2012 12:56 am

Good night Westy!

192. Breadbaker on September 19th, 2012 1:11 am

The game that had everything. And shouldn’t have.

193. nvn8vbryce on September 19th, 2012 1:14 am

Let’s play two…. or not. I was too busy celebrating Reno’s dominance over Pawtucket in the AAA Championship series…. er game…

194. The_Waco_Kid on September 19th, 2012 11:02 am

So tired. Can’t believe I stayed at Safeco for all 18.

195. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 1:49 pm

You’re a very dedicated fan, Waco.

… Or maybe just stubborn. ;-)