Just So We’re Clear

Dave · September 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm · Filed Under Mariners

In the 10th inning, after Michael Saunders got a leadoff walk, we got the following sequences.

Miguel Olivo vs an RHP, runner on first. No pinch hitter, calls for a bunt, fails.

Casper Wells vs an RHP, runner on first. Trayvon Robinson pinch-hits, Saunders steals second, walk.

Brendan Ryan vs an RHP, runners on first and second. Mike Carp pinch hits, Baltimore counters with LHP, strikeout.

Dustin Ackley vs an LHP, runners on first and second. Walk.

Franklin Gutierrez vs an RHP. No pinch hitter, pop-out.

Instead of pinch hitting for Miguel Olivo with John Jaso, Eric Wedge called for a sacrifice bunt in a 2-0 count. Instead of pinch-hitting Jaso for Casper Wells, Wedge went with Trayvon Robinson. Instead of pinch-hitting Jaso for Brendan Ryan, Wedge went with Mike Carp. Instead of pinch-hitting Jaso for Franklin Gutierrez, Wedge stayed with Gutierrez versus a righty.

At this point, I decided that there was no explanation besides Jaso being hurt or unavailable for some unspecified reason. There’s no way you’d go through that inning with your best hitter on the bench, choose two other pinch-hitters to come in, and then not pinch hit for a right-hander with a right-hander on the mound.

Then, in the 11th inning, now down by two runs, the first two batters reach, and Justin Smoak is allowed to hit versus an RHP. He grounds into a double play. Again, Jaso must be unavailable. After a Michael Saunders walk puts the tying run on base, Wedge finally calls for John Jaso to pinch-hit for Olivo.

And then Saunders is promptly thrown out trying to steal second base. Had he been successful, they likely would have just walked Jaso and pitched to Trayvon Robinson instead.

Yeah, in-game strategy isn’t the only thing managers should be evaluated on, but come on – unless Jaso had diarrhea in the 10th inning and was temporarily unavailable, this was just a disastrous series of decisions by Eric Wedge. Seriously, if you have Jaso available, and you don’t use him in the 10th inning, and then you don’t use him to hit for Smoak in the 11th, and then when you do use him in the 11th, you end the game with a needless SB attempt so he doesn’t get a chance to hit, you screwed up.

We already know Eric Wedge is lousy at evaluating talent. He can’t afford to also be lousy at this kind of stuff too.

Comments

52 Responses to “Just So We’re Clear”

1. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 10:44 pm

As big a Saunders fan as I am, there is a part of me that wants to hear that was his own bone-headed decision to steal and not a call from the bench.

Because if it came from the bench… I didn’t think my opinion of Wedge could get any lower, but now I’ll have to re-evaluate. It’s the manager’s primary job to understand basic strategy, and Wedge repeatedly demonstrated he has no idea what he’s doing.

But we shouldn’t have gotten to that point anyway (without already seeing Jaso).

2. Adam S on September 19th, 2012 11:00 pm

Agree with the non-use of Jaso.

The rationale on the stolen base, that I agree with, was if you steal second it only takes one hit to tie the game. If Saunders is on first you need two hits or a somewhat miraculous 2B in the gap or home run.

On a side, do you really think traditionalist Buck Showalter who saved his closer for the 18th inning last night would walk the winning run on base?

To the more general issue, I’m trying hard to like Wedge, in part because I’ve hated every manager the last decade. But when the guy sitting behind me has a better baseball sense than the manager, it’s hard to do so.

3. Dave on September 19th, 2012 11:05 pm

A double in the gap from John Jaso is not a miracle.

4. sotteson on September 19th, 2012 11:19 pm

I’ve never been so pissed off after a Mariners game. I was there with my son, and after that final play I flipped my lid. How do you take the bat out of the hands of your best hitter? And then it hit me, like Dave points out, why in the world hadn’t Jaso been brought in yet? I’m just a random fan who never got past T-ball, but if that stuff is that obvious to me, why is Wedge getting paid millions? I’m not sure I will renew my season tickets at this point. Man, am I steamed.

5. sotteson on September 19th, 2012 11:19 pm

6. batura on September 19th, 2012 11:20 pm

He probably didn’t want to burn his third catcher in case of injury, though maybe Jaso could have played first so he would still be available to catch down the road if need be.

Either way, the decisions here did not help win the game. There is no for-sures, but you might as well have given your team the best chance. That stolen base to end was cringe-worthy. I hope it was Saunders all the way.

7. Sowulo on September 19th, 2012 11:23 pm

The much higher percentage is a single.

But I’m finally past the breaking point. The M’s need a smarter manager before they can hope to make the next step up in competitiveness.

8. Westside guy on September 19th, 2012 11:34 pm

Regarding the earlier decision to pinch-hit Trayvon Robinson for Casper Wells:

Wells has splits, but they’re not awful – and Wells’ career BA and OPS against right-handed pitching is higher than Trayvon’s.

9. Breadbaker on September 19th, 2012 11:36 pm

The Olivo bunt was the one that really got me. Why isn’t Saunders set up to steal with a guy at the plate who has a really long swing and can be gotten out with breaking pitches, in a tie game? Instead, let’s have him steal with our best hitter at the plate when an out means the game ends.

Wedge has strengths, but in-game strategy isn’t one of them.

10. sotteson on September 19th, 2012 11:39 pm

Things that made me scream at the radio during Matt Pitman’s recap:
    - Saying the steal was a good decision.
    - Saying watching that game was fun. No, it’s not fun when your offense is inept, and so is your manager.
    - Saying wins don’t matter, and in the same breath saying Wedge is trying to win every game. Which is it? Easy for someone to say who doesn’t have to pay to go to the games.

11. Dave on September 19th, 2012 11:46 pm

In the postgame audio, Wedge straight up said he was afraid to go to Jaso while the Orioles had a lefty up in the pen. In other words, any team that wants to neutralize John Jaso as a pinch-hitter simply needs to have a left-handed reliever standing on the mound in the bullpen for the entire game, and Wedge just won’t use him. He’ll use Trayvon Robinson and Mike Carp, and he’ll let Olivo and Guti face right-handers before he’ll even risk the chance that he pinch-hits Jaso and they bring in a lefty.

Seriously, this is mind-numbingly stupid.

Oh, and he called Jim Johnson the best closer in baseball. He just shouldn’t be a big league manager.

12. Marinerman1979 on September 19th, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes Dave. I have beat this drum all year with utter amazement. I cannot for the life of me figure out how, with all of the number readily available from a site like fangraphs, a guy this out of touch can still be allowed to manage. I don’t see a scenario were a guy this far out of touch can recover enough to win enough games to matter.

Seriously, leaving Luetge in to face JJ hardy with Pryor or Capps available. Inexplicable.

13. Westside guy on September 20th, 2012 12:04 am

One thing from the post-game interview – the decision to steal was made by Saunders, and didn’t come from the bench.

14. sotteson on September 20th, 2012 12:19 am

But, Wedge didn’t tell him NOT to steal. Ultimately I lay the blame on Wedge.

15. Westside guy on September 20th, 2012 1:15 am

Jeff Sullivan had a good point about the steal. The result sucked, but that doesn’t mean the decision to run was indefensible. And (now that I’ve cooled off) I realize a guy who, at that point, had 20 steals in 23 attempts probably has a reasonably good sense of when he’s likely to be successful.

I still agree with most everything Dave wrote above, and if it were up to me I would’ve told Saunders to stay put and let Jaso do his best – but I’m not gonna ding Saunders for the attempt.

Still… the bottom line is it never should have reached that point in the first place. ;-)

16. The_Waco_Kid on September 20th, 2012 1:22 am

Westy, you sorta beat me to it.

All valid points, but the bigger issue is the lack of offense. I sat through 18 innings where they scored 2 runs, and they follow that up with 1 run in 11. Yes, we need a smart manager, and yes, Wedge must take responsibility for his calls regardless, but the inept offense is the bigger issue. Smoak hitting into a DP is a bigger issue.

Also, an inept offense sets you up for this. Saunders had to wonder if anyone but Jaso would get a hit. He pretty much said so in post-game comments.

17. Snuffy on September 20th, 2012 1:38 am

1-Olivo has 1 successful Sac all year. Even if Saunders steals 2nd, what is Olivo likely to do if he puts a pall in play… he’ll pull it. He can’t bunt. He can’t hit to the right side to move Saunders over to 3b. Wedge was asking a player to do what he has not shown any ability to do before.

2-Good basestealers often have a green light. Saunders was 20-3 before he was tossed out… on a perfect throw. I doubt Showalter IBB’s the potential winning run… because he’s not Wedge.

3-Wedge had numerous chances to use Jaso earlier, and in very big situations too, but didn’t do it.

Today, in this game… Showalter was the better Manager by far. That’s true lots of other days too.

18. PackBob on September 20th, 2012 1:59 am

I don’t know if statistics exist for how successful players are at bunting, but I have to think someone on the M’s bench would be better than Olivo at it. If you are going to bunt no matter what, and having Olivo bunt on a 2-0 count makes it seem so, then why not have someone attempt the bunt who can actually bunt?

At this point with the M’s offense, I’d just about rather see Jaso facing a left-hander than anyone else facing a favorable platoon split.

19. Westside guy on September 20th, 2012 2:05 am

PackBob, I’m guessing the reason Wedge didn’t sub in a good bunter is because, in his mind, he somehow thinks the bunt is going to come as a surprise.

Except if we all knew it’s coming (and we did – just read the game thread comments) – Showalter damn well knew it too.

So yeah, why not put a good bunter in? I think Figgins can actually bunt, as can Muni. Saunders is a decent bunter; but of course he was already on base. :-D

20. bookbook on September 20th, 2012 4:19 am

Wedge’s gift is motivational, of course. ask Jack Wilson, and Smoak. Managing is hard, and involves intangibles that we can’t capture. Yet, to argue that Wedge is one of the 30 best on the planet? I just don’t see it.

21. McD on September 20th, 2012 6:01 am

Is there any chance Wedge is back next season? Any candidates for replacement?

22. Paul B on September 20th, 2012 7:30 am

I was at the game last night (Felix!)

I left in total disgust after the 10th, following the sequence that Dave described.

Clearly, Wedge decided he didn’t need all 3 of his outs in the 10th and gave one away.

23. furlong on September 20th, 2012 8:01 am

I could see Francona waltzing in here next year. My problem with Wedge was the night before when he didn’t bring in the Bartender at the beginning of the ninth. Seattle probably would have won that game if he had done that.

24. sotteson on September 20th, 2012 9:04 am

For all we know, management loves Wedge. I hope not, but I’m not holding my breath for him to get fired.

25. eponymous coward on September 20th, 2012 9:04 am

Is there any chance Wedge is back next season?

Given that the team has basically met expectations (which boiled down to: suck less), and there weren’t any expectations for contention, I don’t see why the guys who hired Wedge would fire him. This organization has gone through ten field managers in a decade (which is horribly destabilizing), and thus we get to the “we’re making progress, why should we rock the boat” nostrum.

The problem is once you get to a place where you actually have a chance at contention (which is arguably where the M’s will be next year: going from 75 wins to 85-90 wins isn’t the massive lift like going from 65 wins would be), having a manager who isn’t a tool becomes more important. One or two games is the difference between a wild card, a division title and golfing.

My guess is that Wedge will have the same basic career path he had in Cleveland:

- team gets better as talent is injected (we’re in this part now)
    - team has off year where they don’t get better and Wedge becomes obligatory scapegoat.

Finally… I always like pointing out the 2001 World Series as an illustration of how crappy in-game management doesn’t always kill you. So it might be that we end up getting lucky in between phase 1 and phase 2 of Wedge’s career in Seattle.

Oh, wait, Bob Brenly is still available to manage. Let’s hope Zduriencik doesn’t get any ideas…

26. Jordan on September 20th, 2012 9:23 am

I realize it’s baseball and there is always going to be games won and lost on ‘random’ variables, but come on. How Wedge evaluates Jaso makes me wonder if he’ll even have a larger role next year.

I’d love to see a post that shows how many winnable games the Mariners lost this year including these last couple. I think the number is somewhere in the range of about 20. Pythagorean aside, if that were true you’re looking at a team similar to the A’s.

Even with an inept offense I would like to think the Mariners are more than a 75 win team going into next year.

The best moves that can be made are first to mitigate all negative value including Wedge, but not limited to Figgins, Smoak, nOlivo, Trayvon, Peguero, Jimenez, Triunfel, Noesi etc.

Addition by subtraction is akin to a Felix extension.

27. msfanmike on September 20th, 2012 10:02 am

I checked out the Site this morning in the hopes of seeing an “Eric Wedge was fired” post. No luck, so far. I remain hopeful.

Man, is he bad. He is so, freaking bad!

“I’d love to see a post that shows how many winnable games the Mariners lost this year including these last couple.”

Me too, but I think it would be a lot simpler to compile a much shorter list of games the Mariners have won because of Wedge’s good managerial decisions.

28. miscreant on September 20th, 2012 10:16 am

Wedge is a Yahoo. His mancrush for Olivo is costing the Mariners wins

29. miscreant on September 20th, 2012 10:17 am

The fans should all boycott “Fan Appreciation Day”

30. MissouriMariner on September 20th, 2012 10:31 am

I have been quite clear that I can’t stand Wedge…of course, I do believe that he will be back next year and we will have to suffer through this garbage again…I am about to pull out the few hairs I have left….

31. The_Waco_Kid on September 20th, 2012 10:37 am

They don’t fire GMs when their teams improve (unless maybe they spent a bunch of money and barely improved), no matter how bad they are at evaluating talent. Even if they prefer Olivo to Jaso.

32. Mariners35 on September 20th, 2012 10:45 am

This is why I can’t stand platooning and lefty-righty matchups. They give managers like Wedge dumb reasons to make dumb decisions.

33. Violinguy72 on September 20th, 2012 11:46 am

Sometimes, Dave, I wish you were the M’s manager. Seriously.

34. Dobbs on September 20th, 2012 11:47 am

Jaso has a career .308 OBP against lefties with a .209 BABIP (and in a small sample).

Olivo’s career OBP is .275 with a BABIP of .293.

I’m simply baffled that Jaso’s platooned at all with Olivo. For all we know, Jaso is actually decent enough against lefties as well that we’d win a few more games if we just used him.

35. Shrike on September 20th, 2012 11:48 am

Earl Weaver would beg to differ. If you have a smart manager, and a well-constructed roster, platooning is an optimal use of the resources at hand.

I don’t think most observers of this Mariners team would suggest the current roster is brimming with good platoon options, but the manager is doing a poor job with what talent he does have, IMHO.

36. eponymous coward on September 20th, 2012 11:50 am

We’re 60 runs on offense behind Oakland (they are by no means a GOOD offense, but they are good enough because of their pitching and defense), and 50 behind on pitching. That means even if you get pretty optimistic about everything, you’re still talking about improving +10 wins.

I also don’t think it’s a lock that anyone other than Figgins and maybe Olivo will be gone from that list you mentioned, and there may be limits on how much we can expect to grow those 10 wins from kids: for instance, if you go back to Dave’s Fangraphs piece on Montero from the beginning of the season, he was throwing up some yellow flags then. A season with a 5.1 % BB to 18.1 % K shouldn’t remove a lot of those warning flags, IMO- I think Montero’s a decent risk to turn into a bust if he doesn’t learn to walk some more (his numbers against RHP are completely unacceptable for a 1B/DH- right now he’s basically a righty platoon DH/1B/backup C. If anything HE should be Jaso’s platoon partner, or Carp’s- which is not what you want from a 22 year old).

37. Mariners35 on September 20th, 2012 11:54 am

There is additional head-scratching to be done because you’d think, with a young roster in a rebuilding year… and especially when the team is about to be, or by now is, mathematically eliminated from the postseason… this is the IDEAL time to get people experience in unusual situations. And no, I don’t mean asking everyone but the Mariner Moose to practice laying down a frigging bunt.

I mean, when else could you get Jaso some more experience against lefties, in a moderate pressure situation (need clutch hit) yet on the other hand, no pressure at all (doesn’t exactly knock the M’s out of the playoffs if he doesn’t get it down). They’ll never learn anything about how to handle certain situations or kinds of pitchers if they’re not actually playing in real games.

It’s the same reason you might leave a starter out there a batter or two longer than normal, or a new reliever in there to get out of a mess he made himself.

Just like Safeco has possibly gotten into Smoak’s head, I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow the thought of ever facing “the kind of pitcher I can’t handle” will start getting into the head of Jaso, Wells, Montero, etc.

At some point, platooning has to run up against self-fulfilling prophecy.

38. oldcubbie on September 20th, 2012 12:52 pm

Dave,
    Isn’t the bench coach supposed to play a big part in these in game strategic decisions? Is Wedge not listening or is the bench coach just as clueless as Wedge?

39. Jordan on September 20th, 2012 1:54 pm

Negative values by Fangraphs WAR:
    Montero -0.1 513 AB
    Smoak -0.9 489 AB
    Olivo -0.1 299 AB
    Figgins -1.1 191 AB
    Kawasaki -0.3 112 AB
    Peguero -0.1 57 AB
    Jimenez -0.1 11 AB
    Wedge -*.* 162 GAMES

If I’m using the data correctly and it is accurate that is -2.7 WINS +++ WEDGE MISMANAGEMENT

Every time you are not playing a negative value player, you are potentially adding value too. Since 1200 AB is about 2 full-time players, you could be adding another 3 wins or more just with league average role players and a mediocre 1b.

@Eponymous
    That would represent a 6 WIN improvement + Wedge. 10 WINS off Oakland’s pace (if you believe that is their true talent level) is really not that much. My assertion is simply that we are not that far off.

*Please note I am aware of Montero’s red flags and not overly optimistic he is our long-term DH/1b/backup catcher. But, I’m not including his numbers in this.

40. Jordan on September 20th, 2012 2:04 pm

It is hard to trust this Fangraphs data because Noesi is worth -0.8. He has cost the Mariners more than that.

One decent smaller trade though…
    Delabar -0.2
    versus
    Thames 0.2

41. SonOfZavaras on September 20th, 2012 2:09 pm

I not only think Eric Wedge should be fired, I think that it is actually dangerous to an entire generation of homegrown talent to keep him on as the big-league skipper.

Think of how long it took Wedge to use Hisashi Iwakuma properly, and how long it took him to realize John Jaso was even on his roster (“I have a lefty-hitting CATCHER?! Who knew?!”).

Conversely, how many ABs has Carlos Peguero gotten that we can say he deserved to get?

It pisses me off to even think about either.

Now think of the likelihood that hitters like Brad Miller, Stefen Romero, Mike Zunino, Vinny Catricala and Nick Franklin et al will see The Show…and have to deal with Wedge as their first manager.

If ANY of them have any weakness coming up 9and they WILL), we all know it’ll be figured out by major-league teams within two weeks- and then Wedge has proven more often than not he just figures “Well, they’re not capable of doing this AT ALL.” and mishandle his lineups and strategy accordingly…instead of figuring out whether the ballplayer CAN do it, just needs to learn how at this level.

It’s almost like he’s petrified to learn that a ballplayer really DOES have an ability to get out of the hole he’s pegged them in.

The one thing Wedge has proven moderately adept at is making clear- and getting- what he expects in terms of professional behavior and being a major-leaguer.

We are now at the point where we need a more strategically adept manager as well as a guy who can shepherd really young players to prosperity/fully realized potential. We need a Clint Hurdle or a Ned Yost or a Joe Maddon.

Not to be an alarmist of any sort, but if Wedge is kept around too long, an entire generation of homegrown talent- maybe the best we’ve EVER had in the organization- figures to pay the price.

42. TherzAlwaysHope on September 20th, 2012 2:14 pm

Wedge was just outmanaged. He outmanaged himself.

43. Celadus on September 20th, 2012 2:39 pm

One of my many major problems with Wedge is that to a certain extent he’s not consistent within his own framework. Specifically, he gives different players different amounts of rope to hang themselves. E.g., whenever Olivo does anything mildly positive he seems to be in the lineup a lot more often, even when he starts, inevitably and quickly, going bad. Whereas somebody like Wells he will play when he’s going good and then sit him on the bench and forget him just about as soon as he starts to go bad. To me, as a player, this smacks of favoritism. I don’t know what an intelligent player like Jaso, who really hasn’t had a long bad spell, must think. Really really frustrating, even without the execrable managerial moves of the last couple of days.

44. Celadus on September 20th, 2012 2:45 pm

And I also agree with SonOfZavaras about Wedge’s being dangerous to a whole new generation of players. Wedge may be able to evaluate talent, but there seems to be minimal evidence of it in the way he manages. E.g., pitching Leutke against righthanders in key situations. Also, am I the only person out there who thinks that Wedge may have reservations about Jaso because his walk rate is too high?

45. Section329 on September 20th, 2012 2:54 pm

Ah, Dave, as I was sitting there tearing my hair out over the exact same things you wrote about today I realize how much you’ve formed me as a more knowledgeable baseball fan. I may not get all the stats, but the way I watch a game is a lot more well-informed. Thanks!

46. eponymous coward on September 20th, 2012 3:40 pm

You’re assuming we replace Figgins+Smoak+Olivo with league average players totalling 3 WAR, AND that nobody is going to regress. (Nobody else is really a problem per se- you would expect some reserves on a MLB bench to be pretty close to replacement level.)

Figgins should be easy to replace, as is Olivo. Smoak, maybe not so much (look at, oh, most of the past decade of Mariner 1B, then look at the FA market). The part where nobody regresses- anyone remember Dustin Ackley in 2011? Yeah.

I’m not saying it’s impossible (because it’s basically what Oakland did in 2012), but it’s harder than you are making it seem. If it works, you end up with Oakland in 2012; if it doesn’t, you end up with Oakland in 2011 (or us in 2012), because we signed this year’s Casey Kotchman or Chone Figgins instead of this year’s Adrian Beltre or Russ Branyan.

The thing about Billy Beane that makes him a really good GM in my opinion is that he’s never had a complete disaster year as a GM, where the team’s winning in the low 60′s. Even when the A’s are on a down year, they aren’t a complete trainwreck- and he does it on a peanuts budget. That’s where we want to get this organization to under Zduriencik- the down years aren’t complete tank jobs, and there is a floor we don’t fall through. It’s looking like we’re getting there- now we need to see if he can take the next step.

47. Jordan on September 20th, 2012 4:08 pm

I agree with most of what you are saying and especially your assessment of Beane. I would advocate giving Montero, Jaso and Carp the majority of Olivo and Smoak’s ABs. Then, is a competent bench filler really that hard to find?

I realize the decade’s history at 1b and that there aren’t really any suitable FA targets there, but what about someone like Ike Davis? I’ve asked this question before, so I’m interested to see Dave’s off season plan.

Another target for a crowded infield would be Keppinger. I think we’d have the money and ability to draw him away from Tampa Bay. He could rotate in with the rest and heck if he could learn the outfield better than *Carp/Peguero he’d be a fine Macklemore candidate.

*Any moveable object deserves this chance considering what else we’ve thrown out there.

48. Mariners35 on September 20th, 2012 4:34 pm

“Then, is a competent bench filler really that hard to find?”

I really hope there are no bench fillers found. I am sick of the blue light specials. There are more than enough AAAA types or kids to be eased in, to round out the bench.

If the right pieces are picked up in trade or free agency this winter, there should be enough vets and quality bats/gloves, plus guys who should be able to be leaned on more like Seager, to carry the lineup. Wedge can set his lineup most days and bench guys won’t be needed for “veteran leadership” nonsense or even incorrectly used platoons.

I greatly fear – possibly a bit irrationally – that any veteran or ‘bench filler’ brought in is going to quickly make us all suffer from Wedge’s Favorite Toy Syndrome, and get overused to death. Leading to more goofiness like the Jaso thing from the last couple days.

49. Jordan on September 20th, 2012 5:03 pm

The problem is not necessarily favorite toy syndrome, just that if he figures out they’re on the roster then he is compelled to use them.

More often than not, he figures out certain players are on the team (see Figgins, Chone and Olivo, Miguel and Smoak, Justin and Noesi, Hector) while others he misplaces (see Iwakuma, Hisashi and Jaso, John and Wells, Casper).

Also, the AAAA types are the ones providing negative value. I’m trying to say the bar needs to be raised and instead of AAAA types, they need actually competent bench pieces. So when Wedge feels compelled to use them, the team does not suffer. I’m not calling for Adam Kennedy.

50. poetfiend on September 20th, 2012 5:26 pm

I told Eric Wedge I wouldn’t be able to share my thoughts about the sacrifice and steals with him until the post season because I was traveling 6000 miles and would be gone for a month. He said, “A month? Be careful you get back at all! 6000 miles will take you right near the edge of the earth!”

51. stevemotivateir on September 21st, 2012 12:18 pm

What drives me crazy, is how often this happens. And this isn’t the first time he’s made post-game comments where he basically admits he’s scared of how the other team counters.

I don’t get it. Force their hand. Even if you doubt his ability to get a hit vs. a lefty, he’s still a threat to walk. Wedge would make a terrible poker player.

52. vetted_coach on September 22nd, 2012 6:56 pm

All of which begs the question: How lousy is the GM?