Game 156, Mariners at Angels

marc w · September 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Hisashi Iwakuma vs. Dan Haren, 12:37pm

For a guy whose signature pitch is a slider/cutter, Dan Haren’s never really shown huge platoon splits. That’s helped him stay a very good starter in both leagues in recent years, but this year it’s something of a problem. RHBs have knocked 12 HRs offof Haren, ensuring the righty has equivalently ugly HR rates this year. All of this may explain why Jesus Montero gets a rare start at catcher today against a RH starter. Good choice, Wedge.

It also highlights how weird last night’s line-up was. It’s almost like they try to make things as challenging as possible for their ace. Not so for Iwakuma, who gets Montero and Jaso in the line-up.

1: Ackley
2: Gutierrez
3: Seager
4: Montero (c)
5: Jaso (DH)
6: Smoak
7: Saunders
8: Wells
9: Ryan
SP: Iwakuma

That’s probably the best line-up the M’s can muster.

Rick Randall pointed out the unfathomable stat that after last night, Justin Smoak’s OPS now exceeds Dustin Ackley. If someone told you back in 2010 that Smoak would outhit Ackley, you might have said, “Yeah, I can see that,” but if they told you that anywhere from June ’11 through two weeks ago, it would have sounded nuts. It *is* nuts. Thank goodness for Ackley’s solid D, but I keep waiting for him to stop this realistic portrayal of a limited, single-happy hitter and drive the ball consistently.

Comments

53 Responses to “Game 156, Mariners at Angels”

1. marc w on September 27th, 2012 12:07 pm

Having trouble with linking this morning, but Randall’s tweet was here: https://twitter.com/randallball/status/251358607743012864

2. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 12:22 pm

Wow, you’re right – this isn’t a bad lineup, all things considered…

3. dchappelle on September 27th, 2012 12:25 pm

Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak in 2012 — Soul Crushing

4. miscreant on September 27th, 2012 12:52 pm

Decent lineup all things considered. Would be nice to let the kid Truinfel play. Give him a shot to show something. Anything. I mean we all know what Ryan can do. Ryan is NOT the Mariners SS of the future. But Ryan is another one of Wedge’s infatuations…

5. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 1:12 pm

Montero is trying to make us feel better about Olivo, apparently.

6. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 1:22 pm

Brendan Ryan gets the Mariners’ first base hit! Sheesh!

7. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 1:27 pm

That Doug Fister trade is looking better and better…

Wait, it’s that other thing – the one that means the opposite of that.

8. kramerica60887 on September 27th, 2012 1:34 pm

Honestly, Ackley has been a complete mess at the plate. He consistently misses fastballs in the zone and then makes poor contact when he does connect. Olivo was terrible last night, but Ackley did us no favors either, especially in the third.

With runners on first and third with one out, he popped out to the shortstop and severely curtailed the possibility of further scoring. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason.

9. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 1:40 pm

BREAKING NEWS: When Jaso starts, good things happen.

10. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 1:48 pm

Wells either misjudged that one, or lost it in the sun. He should have had that.

11. msfanmike on September 27th, 2012 2:12 pm

Is anybody able to watch the game – or is it radio only, today?

With the “cleanup” hitter coming to bat, we had another runner thrown out at the plate to end the inning. I am wondering how close the play was at the plate.

12. hidalgo on September 27th, 2012 2:15 pm

Root sports has it. Wells never touched second last inning. Can’t believe Scoscia missed it.

13. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 2:17 pm

I am watching it on ROOT – and hoping Guti isn’t hurt again.

14. msfanmike on September 27th, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks. It’s not listed within the newspaper as a game that will be televised today, and I am at work anyway, so ………. so …….. so, it sounds like I need to leave work early and catch the rest of the game.

15. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 2:28 pm

I was panicking a bit too, Westy. After that collision, I seriously started wondering if Guti shouldn’t move to left for the future. Maybe it wouldn’t make that big of a difference?

16. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 2:30 pm

Steve, that might make practical sense from the perspective of maintaining Guti’s health… but it would certainly mean taking a hit defensively. Condor is an adequate center fielder; but Guti is spectacular.

(I’m off today so I get to watch yet another 1-run Mariners-Angels game)

17. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 2:33 pm

yeah, I hear ya

18. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 2:41 pm

Of course, if it could be shown that would keep Guti on the field… that in itself is an advantage! ;-)

19. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 2:49 pm

CRAP. Guti’s out of the game. Hopefully he’s just a little banged up and will be back tomorrow.

Steve, I might be changing my mind and warming up towards your idea! :-D

20. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 2:51 pm

A sacrifice and the runner didn’t score from 3rd?

21. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 2:53 pm

Can’t say Trayvon would have been my choice for a pinch-hitter, nor would I have predicted a walk for an RBI. Nuts!

22. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 2:54 pm

Good on Trayvon, didn’t get a fastball so he watched ball 4 with the bases loaded.

23. stevemotivateir on September 27th, 2012 2:54 pm

Seager!!!

24. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 2:55 pm

Sounds like the fans are getting restless.

25. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 2:57 pm

Wow, the Mariners have a reasonably comfortable lead! How’d that happen?

And there’s another one!

26. californiamariner on September 27th, 2012 2:58 pm

There we go, pour it on!!

27. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 2:59 pm

Dear Eric Wedge,

Play Jaso.

28. msfanmike on September 27th, 2012 3:00 pm

Great inning! I should have come home, sooner.

29. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:02 pm

I don’t think Trout realized that was the 3rd out.

Long inning.

30. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:04 pm

^ That’s how it looked to me too, Paul!

Also, it sounded like Sims might not have realized that for a moment or two.

31. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:06 pm

Or maybe Sims was reacting to Trout’s throw in.

32. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:10 pm

I am liking this Carter Capps kid.

33. californiamariner on September 27th, 2012 3:11 pm

I have sweet fantasies of watching Capps, Pryor, Wilhelmsen mow down hitters at the end of games and the Mariners keeping almost every 1 run lead :D

34. Mid80sRighty on September 27th, 2012 3:14 pm

Jaso doing what he does. Would be nice to see him get a few ABs against lefties….

35. Jordan on September 27th, 2012 3:15 pm

@miscreant
    “Ryan is another one of Wedge’s infatuations…”

Actually, although he’s most likely not the SS of the future, Ryan has already been worth 3.5 WAR to this point. He is extremely valuable and unless a younger player is forcing the Mariners hand which Triunfel’s not, batting ineptitude or not Ryan will play. Do you even watch the games? What Wedge lacks in player evaluations does not apply here.

36. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:16 pm

That’s crazy talk, Mid80s!

Wedge told me so hisself!

37. Mid80sRighty on September 27th, 2012 3:16 pm

California, kind of like when they had Nelson, Rhodes, and was it Sasaki?

38. californiamariner on September 27th, 2012 3:19 pm

And there are a lot of reasons to complain about Wedge, but playing Ryan definitely isn’t one of them. Don’t get why I see a lot of people complaining about Ryan.

39. Mid80sRighty on September 27th, 2012 3:21 pm

People got so used to seeing Ripken, ARod, Jeter, Tejada, Garciaparra that they forgot middle infielders used to be all glove and no bat.

40. msfanmike on September 27th, 2012 3:21 pm

Fangraphs has Ryan at 1.5 WAR. I know different sources provide different results, but 3.5? Really? As valuable as Seager (3.7 at Fangraphs)?

Can’t see it and I don’t believe it.

Something is amiss with the WAR comparison totals.

41. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:25 pm

Man, Pujols is a stud.

I’m glad he’s at DH today, though – he might’ve corralled Jaso’s double.

42. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:35 pm

Kinney, I’m not too confident in, though.

43. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:39 pm

Just saw replay of Guti catch. Looks like wrist or maybe shoulder.

44. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:41 pm

SWEET! Gotta love it when bad fielding bites the OTHER team.

(I guess that was bad throwing – but whatever. It was preceded by bad fielding on Ackley’s hit)

45. californiamariner on September 27th, 2012 3:43 pm

I don’t really like Kinney either. Wouldn’t mind one bit if he’s gone next year. However, if he is going to stay around hopefully Wedge starts using him less or for certain matchups only. I feel like he trots Kinney out there to pitch the 7th or other innings in close games way too much.

46. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:45 pm

Montero!

That looked good.

47. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah, I don’t understand why Wedge chooses to use Kinney as a general-purpose guy.

Unfortunately it appears to be another example of Wedge’s mad skillz in talent evaluation. We’re pretty much seeing exactly what some people predicted back when Dave wrote about Kinney.

48. californiamariner on September 27th, 2012 3:52 pm

Makes no sense to me! Tired of watching Kinney come in tie games or with one or two run leads, while Capps and Pryor just sit there.

49. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 3:55 pm

Dickey with 13 k’s today.

What a great season.

50. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:56 pm

And 20 wins Paul!

I always liked the dude. I wish there were more knuckleballers in the majors.

51. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 3:59 pm

HAHAHAH!!

Blowers: “With a 5 run lead, I don’t think he’ll be throwing his curveball.”

immediately followed by

*Wilhelmsen throws a curveball*

52. Paul B on September 27th, 2012 4:06 pm

There we go.

You are welcome, Oakland.

53. Westside guy on September 27th, 2012 4:08 pm