Game 1, Mariners at Athletics

marc w · April 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm · Filed Under Mariners

King Felix vs. Brett Anderson, 7:05pm

Happy Felix Day, and happy opening day. So much of the conversation in the Spring and before centered on the M’s projections and how their new-look offense would perform in their new-look ballpark. As Dave’s post below touches on, the M’s have real problems, and the gap between them and the elite teams in the division and the American League again looks formidable. They’ve made some headscratching roster moves, and they weren’t able to reel in a few players they targeted in free agency and the trade market. The team is forecast to finish 4th in the division, and the Fangraphs Positional Power Rankings illustrates why: the M’s had the 4th best players at nearly every position. But today’s not about any of that. Today’s opening day, featuring a great pitching match-up. Most of all, today means we can take a break from the focus on roster construction, disappointments, talent gaps and questionable rotations: today we can put the focus back where it should be, on Felix Hernandez.

This isn’t to suggest that I/we are giving up on analysis or that this blog is converting to a Felix fanfic tumblr format (there’ve been enough changes in the M’s blogosphere, frankly). But I’ve missed baseball more than anyone who’s watched three consecutive last-place teams has any right to. There’s a trap in reveling in the exploits of one singular talent on a bad club in that it becomes ‘enough’. The team’s frittered away three years, but give me 32 Felix Hernandez starts and, well, how bad to we really have it? That’s all well and good, but for today, it actually IS enough. Opening day means we can stop tabulating probabilities and start rooting *against* them. It’s something that numerophobic fans fail to understand: knowing how unlikely something is doesn’t mean you’re disappointed if you achieve it. If anything, it heightens one’s appreciation of it. Felix is pitching and the M’s are only a half-game back of the Astros, who, frankly, probably peaked last night. The M’s chances at a wildcard are slim, but they’re not zero, and while a rotation of Felix and some question marks doesn’t exactly inspire a ton of confidence, it’s tough to be too pessimistic about a rotation that starts off like this one.

While I’ve got your pixels, I thought I’d give my own thoughts on the 2013 season. This isn’t exactly a response to Dave’s post, just a slightly different way of getting to the same basic answer:

I’m completely agreed that there’s an undercurrent of antagonism between segments of the M’s fanbase, though this is probably to be expected given the debates roiling in baseball as a whole. There’s so much point scoring, so many jeremiads, because “I don’t know” blog posts and columns don’t get traffic. I am deeply, deeply skeptical that there’s any real value in veteran-ness, but I’d be lying if I said that Brandon McCarthy or other players views on the subject didn’t make me think. I’m going to try and remember that the first few times I see correlation-equals-causation article. I’ll also try and enjoy the fact that if I’m seeing such an article, at least some of the youngsters would be producing, and I’m tired of watching the crappy version of Justin Smoak.

My view on the M’s pitching depth is a bit more optimistic. Erasmo Ramirez is an excellent starter, provided that his elbow soreness clears up. It’s worth remembering he had a brief bout of it last year, but that was before his excellent stretch run, so hopefully it’s something that won’t hinder his progress in the medium/long term. Beyond Ramirez, I have reasonably high expectations for Danny Hultzen, whose command simply isn’t quite what we thought it was coming out of college, but isn’t anywhere close to the Dalkowski-essque mess we saw in Tacoma last year. James Paxton is a wild card here as well; he didn’t look ready this spring, but he was brilliant late in the year and into his first few appearances in the Arizona Fall League. There are other, more replacement-level, starters behind these three, and then there’s Tai Walker, the most talented of all, sitting in AAA. I think some fans may overstate how MLB ready guys like Hultzen are right now, but the M’s best pitchers are all in the very high minors, and this gives the M’s more depth than all be one or two teams int the majors.

We all saw it with Ichiro and the absolutely baffling arguments we somehow needed to have about him: a certain segment of the fanbase focuses its ire on the team’s best player. Well, there’s got to be a corollary for focusing one’s ire on a reliably mediocre player. It’s not as crazy as hating on the team’s best player, but the M’s have been a target rich environment for replacement-level ballplayers in recent years. So I really don’t quite get the bafflement at Blake Beavan being the target of such scorn. This team suited up Chone Figgins last year! Hector. Noesi. I’m with Matthew that Beavan is a bit underappreciated here – he’s the 5th starter, and isn’t claiming to be anything else. In a bit over one full year of playing time, he’s amassed 1 fWAR. That’s – I mean, that’s not any good, but it’s better than replacement level, obviously. And if you look at runs on the scoreboard/fielding dependent WAR, he’s almost league average. You don’t have to believe that his RA WAR tells the whole story, but this isn’t a bad 5th starter. Particularly if he’s able to get more ground balls this year, he could post a 1-1.5 WAR year in 175IP or so, and while it’s not going to put the M’s over the top, that’s pretty darn good for your league minimum 5th starter.

Some predictions:
1: Dustin Ackley rebounds, because how can he not, but he remains an enigmatic disappointment. The contact skills aren’t quite as elite as we thought, but they’re definitely good enough for him to raise his average significantly, but his power won’t match his rookie half-season’s. I sincerely hope Dave’s right and Dustin’s the most talented young hitter in the organization, but this is a doubles hitter who’ll be playing in a park that may suppress doubles. Dave’s right that he wasn’t as bad as his raw stats suggested, but there are some troubling signs there too – I’ve mentioned it before, but he’s been an extremely pull-happy hitter, particularly on ground balls. These slow grounders to 2B seem to be the result of reliably bad contact – like his hit tool allows him to make a certain kind of contact, even when he’s fooled. This is something he did in Tacoma in 2010, but looked to get away from in 2011. If he’s going to be anything like the best hitter in the org, he’s going to have to make those adjustments again.

2: I’ll definitely take the over on the M’s bullpen’s projections. I think Furbush is in for some regression (as is Luetge), but that will be partially balanced by solid years from Capps and Wilhelmsen. In addition, the bullpen’s usage is going to work to their advantage. I think the M’s are going to have the platoon advantage in more at-bats than most teams – gone are the generalists like Shawn Kelley and in their place are specialists like Perez, Capps, Kinney and Furbush. This could make the 8th inning interminable, but the M’s bullpen figures to post decent raw stats.

3: I’m with Dave on essentially all of the roster changes between the 1st and 2nd halves – the M’s will get younger because they have to. We’re going to see some line-ups with 6 players over 30 for a while (not tonight, however). I also think Michael Saunders ends the year as the starting CF, either due to another injury to Guti or due to a trade. I’m not sure the M’s would send Montero to Tacoma because it’s not clear he’d have a better shot to play full-time down there. With the M’s sending Mike Zunino to AAA, I think it’d be problematic to have TWO future catchers on the same roster. It’s possible, of course, but I think the M’s would DH him at the big league level for a while until they either moved Morales or Shoppach around the deadline.

4: The Astros don’t make a run at infamy and post a bad instead of historically significant season. The M’s win total improves due to their presence, but they’re not winning 15-16 of these games. I’d put them at 68 wins or so – a far cry from the low-50s I’ve seen in various places. Still comfortably in last place, of course.

All told, I think the M’s end up right at .500 at 81-81. I think there’s enough talent to improve upon last year’s finish, but enough inconsistency and volatility to prevent a real run at the division or wildcard. Certainly hope I’m wrong.

Let’s go M’s, and let’s go Felix!

Your opening day line-up:
1: Gutierrez, CF
2: Saunders, RF
3: Morales, DH
4: Morse, LF
5: Smoak, 1B
6: Seager, 3B
7: Montero, C
8: Ackley, 2B
9: Ryan, SS
SP: Felix

Comments

157 Responses to “Game 1, Mariners at Athletics”

1. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 6:07 pm

Happy Felix Day!

2. Slats on April 1st, 2013 6:19 pm

Happy Felix Day!

Go M’s!

3. Paul B on April 1st, 2013 6:19 pm

Happy opener!

4. seattlesonsofbaseball on April 1st, 2013 6:20 pm

The fact that this team lost a lot of one run games in low scoring affairs last year makes it hard for me to think that they’ll just slightly be better in the win-loss category. I also don’t see how “horrendous” this defense is compared to last year when it is arguable that only the one outfield position is the downgrade to last year’s defense (at worst Montero full time to Olivo is a push… leaning more though towards Montero). While that position was a big downgrade (Morse for Ichiro), Morse’s upgrade at the plate should counter that significantly.

Only time will tell.

HOORAH!!! Baseball is on! Play ball!

5. Paul B on April 1st, 2013 6:34 pm

Guti will have time off, and you’ll get to see Bay and Ibanez in the OF.

We get to see the Mariners best 2012 hitter tonight.

6. Paul B on April 1st, 2013 6:44 pm

What do all think about the Wedge beard?

7. Swungonandbelted on April 1st, 2013 6:52 pm

Heh, if the beard were more black, he’d look a lot like my little brother… Hopefully it stores some whoop-ass and the M’s get after it this year.

8. Sports on a Shtick on April 1st, 2013 7:07 pm

Looking forward to another year with all of you. Let’s go M’s!

9. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:08 pm

Woo hoo!

10. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:09 pm

Finally, eh?!

11. tame on April 1st, 2013 7:09 pm

Kia ora Mariners whanui from Aotearoa/New Zealand. Have a great opening day everyone

12. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 7:10 pm

Holy beard, Eric Wedge!

13. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:10 pm

ENOUGH with the veterans, Blowers!

14. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:11 pm

How did Saunders miss that?

15. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 7:11 pm

Westy, the A’s broadcasters are talking about the veteran presence of the Mariners as well…

16. texasmarinerfan on April 1st, 2013 7:11 pm

Any logic for having Morales bat third?

17. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh good. Morales is a MAN. ’cause I’d hate for a bunch of little girls to be out there.

I have not missed Sims.

18. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:14 pm

These are all the same commercials from LAST season!?

19. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:14 pm

Juneau, with Olivo gone they need a new manly man to crush on.

20. Jordan on April 1st, 2013 7:15 pm

So will 3 swinging strikeouts to start the year temper the optimism any?

21. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 7:16 pm

Speaking of manly men…Reddick!

22. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:17 pm

Logic for Morales hitting third?

Yeah, because he’s one of the best hitters on the team.

23. Swungonandbelted on April 1st, 2013 7:17 pm

Nice start Felix…

24. G-Man on April 1st, 2013 7:17 pm

Jordan, it is an auspicious beginning. Or is that inauspicious?

25. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:19 pm

Just arrived. Has veteran leadership led us to many runs and better hitting, or has Raul died of old age during the opening ceremony? (Just kidding.)

26. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:19 pm

@Jordan

No. Instead people will boast how the Jaso trade was brilliant because he popped-up in his first AB.

27. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:20 pm

Preparing to get used to that.

28. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:20 pm

So Felix gave Jaso a Rolex as a “thank you” for catching his perfect game…

29. Jordan on April 1st, 2013 7:21 pm

I mean he can’t possibly get 27 strikeouts, could he?

30. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:22 pm

Good job Justin.

31. Swungonandbelted on April 1st, 2013 7:23 pm

A who had Smoak as the first base runner of the season, via a walk?

32. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:23 pm

I mean he can’t possibly get 27 strikeouts, could he?

Apparently Wedge has defined “your pitch to hit” this year as anything in the general vicinity of northern California.

33. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 7:23 pm

Take a hit any way they can!

34. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 7:24 pm

Good luck there. C’mon Jesus drive em in!

35. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:25 pm

Holy fuck is Montero slow.

36. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 7:25 pm

@henryv
    You are just on fire tonight man!

37. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:25 pm

Wow nice play by Sogard there.

38. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:26 pm

There are meals that can be prepared in less time than Montero takes to get to first.

39. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 7:26 pm

Interesting strategy, M’s. Try to hit the pitcher.

40. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:26 pm

That was HORRIBLE baserunning by Montero. What was that weird skip step he did before reaching the bag?

41. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 7:27 pm

Montero: did not get any faster

42. Jordan on April 1st, 2013 7:28 pm

Can that really be called running?

43. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 7:29 pm

But the announcers were just saying during the last spring training game how hard Montero’s worked in the office season, training, to run faster.

I noticed that odd fancy hop and skip too, Steve, speaking of playing baseball like a little girl.

44. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:29 pm

It is running in that he is technically moving forwardish.

45. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:33 pm

There’s one simple way to train yourself to run faster… RUN! Run a lot. Speaking for myself, I ran a mile in about 7 minutes. Then starting running about two miles a day for a few months. I was soon running a single mile in about 5 and a half minutes, two miles in a little over 12.

46. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:36 pm

I think a lion might help Montero.

47. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:38 pm

Or a buffalo.

48. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:39 pm

Oh, God. This is starting to feel familiar already.

49. Swungonandbelted on April 1st, 2013 7:40 pm

Next time he’s up I’m gonna see if I can make a PB&J before he gets to first…

50. Jordan on April 1st, 2013 7:41 pm

Well played henryv.

51. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:45 pm

I think you could make a prime rib in the time it takes him to get to first.

52. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:48 pm

Or at least buffalo wings.

53. texasmarinerfan on April 1st, 2013 7:48 pm

Maybe Montero’s problem is that he ate all those special cookies Brendan Ryan made…

54. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:50 pm

Those weren’t from Tom Wilhelmsen’s “special” cookie recipe, were they?

55. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:50 pm

So, is Felix going to owe Montero a watch after tonight? If a Rollex is as heavy as Jaso suggests it is, a Swatch might be a better idea.

56. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:51 pm

Those glasses. I hope Jeff writes entire sets of posts about those glasses.

57. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 7:52 pm

Wow, that was one heck of a veteran GIDP.

58. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:52 pm

Way to try to break-up the double play, Kendry.

59. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:53 pm

Smoak for MVP.

60. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice job once again by Justin.

61. djw on April 1st, 2013 7:54 pm

Smoak was all over that. Two good ABs. A few dozen more and I’ll start to get irrationally optimistic about him.

62. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice compact swing from Justin there.

63. henryv on April 1st, 2013 7:54 pm

I really hope they either get Seagar a helmet that actually fits his head, or at least give him some HGH so his head will grow into that helmet.

64. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:55 pm

What if the few dozen more takes 4
    months?

65. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 7:57 pm

Ugly swing by Seager there.

66. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:00 pm

It would be “so Mariners” for Felix to throw 9 perfect innings… and lose.

67. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:01 pm

Jaso 1, Morse 0

68. texasmarinerfan on April 1st, 2013 8:01 pm

No it would be “so Mariners” for Jaso to be the reason the Mariners lose.

69. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 8:01 pm

Westy, the only lion that will help Montero is a Red Lion Hotel…

70. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:02 pm

Hehehe

71. djw on April 1st, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh yeah, we gave our best hitter to a division rival for no reason.

72. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:02 pm

Wedge would’ve had Reddick bunt.

73. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:03 pm

I wonder how long it will take people/morons to figure out that the guy knows how to hit and that Billy is smarter than Jack?

I’m guessing they wont, we’ll just hear so excuse, like ‘he only faces RHP’ -even with 450 PA’s.

74. djw on April 1st, 2013 8:03 pm

I think Josh Reddick spent the winter sleeping in the park near my apartment.

75. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:04 pm

HOLY FUCKING BUFFALO!

76. Breadbaker on April 1st, 2013 8:05 pm

Brendan Ryan has now saved one run this season, which is one hour old.

77. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:06 pm

I love Brendan Ryan.

78. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:09 pm

I propose that in order to make it fair, every team must throw to at least one other base before throwing to first in order to record an out for Montero. Either that, or they have to throw it with their glove.

79. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 8:10 pm

Great recognition from Ack there!

80. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:10 pm

Nice base running. And a really good throw by the homeless guy.

81. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:10 pm

Ackley and Ryan!!!

82. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 8:13 pm

Guti!!!

83. Breadbaker on April 1st, 2013 8:13 pm

Guti!

84. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice! Love that it started with the bottom of the order.

85. djw on April 1st, 2013 8:13 pm

*applause*

86. themojoworkin on April 1st, 2013 8:16 pm

Love that the veteran leadership helped Guti smack that single….

87. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:17 pm

Has Morales always been that rotund? I seem to remember him being a little skinnier.

88. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah, he’s always been a big boy.

89. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 8:19 pm

I think you may be right about the man crush, Westy. Morales was ‘made for the 3 hole’ as he grounds into an out.

90. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:22 pm

To be fair, I have to admit I liked the Morales pickup.

91. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:24 pm

I like the Morales pick up, in regards to trading Vargas for him.

Vargas, I think, was about to get eaten by the new Safeco left-center field.

92. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 8:25 pm

Regardless of what the player brings to the team, I get tired of the beating drum of triteness.

Ichiro was my favorite playa evah, and if I had to hear one more time that ‘he can hit a homerun any time he wants,’ I was going Elvis on my TV.

93. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:25 pm

Felix is filthy.

94. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:27 pm

Remember that game where the pitcher threw over Ichiro’s head, and then later in the at bat, Ichiro hit the ball straight back at the pitcher’s head?

Yeah, that was cool.

95. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 8:28 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem that all of these orthopedic ads for joint replacements are targeted at the geriatrics residing on the Mariners’ roster versus the general population?

96. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 8:28 pm

Henry, Felix is beyond filthy tonight.

97. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:31 pm

I hated the Vargas-Morales trade at the time. But once we signed Saunders, I changed my opinion. The two pitchers are so similar, and there’s probably a good chance LA would have snagged him if the M’s weren’t looking.

So in the end, we end up with the same product, plus a good hitter. I’ll call that a win.

98. djw on April 1st, 2013 8:35 pm

Lucky bastard.

99. kuptain on April 1st, 2013 8:38 pm

Ah, it feels so good to start baseball on a fresh slate. So many hopes and there’s no way anyone can destroy them because the M’s are undefeated as of right now!

100. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 8:42 pm

Who would actually want a rolex? Why not give him a monocle, or maybe a nice, shiny velocipede?

101. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:44 pm

Great AB by Jaso, regardless of what happens now.

102. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 8:44 pm

Facing Jaso is already annoying.

103. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:45 pm

If Montero catches a Felix perfect game, I propose Felix buys him a Segway.

104. gag harbor on April 1st, 2013 8:46 pm

Montero needs the fitness that can only come from walking to the restaurant after the game!

105. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:47 pm

I wouldn’t want a Rolex. Wouldn’t want a gold chain, or anything else that draws attention to me. I don’t even like expensive clothes. There’s usually no benefit in showing people that you have money.

106. gag harbor on April 1st, 2013 8:48 pm

I for one would like a Rolex with that inscription on the back for my budding family heirloom collection.

107. gag harbor on April 1st, 2013 8:49 pm

So you take the cash and end up spending it on beer and iPhones, nice.

108. henryv on April 1st, 2013 8:49 pm

Ackley is still having problems with those high and inside pitches.

109. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:51 pm

Ackley hit that one hard. Unfortunately, right at Reddick.

110. gag harbor on April 1st, 2013 8:51 pm

Felix = 81 pitches… whaddya ‘spose is his target tonight?

111. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 8:52 pm

Brendan Ryan: 1.000 obp

112. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 8:55 pm

Brendan Ryan is all the veteran presence we need.

113. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 8:55 pm

Was your comment directed at me, gag? When I have extra money, or acquire something I don’t need, it always goes to specific NGO’s.

Beer and iphones? No. An Iphone fits the same profile I described.

114. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 8:57 pm

People who really have lots of money don’t wear fancy 30-year-old status symbols, anyway. They tell time off their iphones like everybody else.

115. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:00 pm

Come on, it was thoughtful of Felix to buy Jaso a present. What it actually is doesn’t particularly matter.

116. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:00 pm

Well, some buy Ferrari’s for themselves, and Rolex’s for friends;) But yeah, I generally agree bookbook.

117. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:03 pm

Ha, I’m not criticizing Felix for the gift, Westy. I don’t think anyone was. Unique situation, and it is the thought that counts.

118. henryv on April 1st, 2013 9:07 pm

If I were Felix, I’d just buy him a “Sorry you’re in Oakland card.”

One of the better selling cards out there.

119. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 9:10 pm

The heart of the order strikes!

Man, I think Shoplifter’s Row is going to stick.

120. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:10 pm

I’m surprised they’re sending Felix back out. He’s gotta be over 90 by now.

121. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 9:12 pm

Yes, you’re right, Westy. I’m sorry if I went a bit over the top.

122. Longgeorge1 on April 1st, 2013 9:20 pm

Is this de jevu all over again?

123. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:25 pm

I wasn’t meaning to call anyone out there – just playing the Old Graybeard card.

I was going to say “just be fair and balanced”… but that phrase carries some political baggage nowadays. ;-)

124. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:27 pm

So Felix can’t even go 8. What a bum.

125. whittier ms fan on April 1st, 2013 9:28 pm

Dave’s prediction of eighth inning troubles coming to fruition in game 1? Come on, Charlie!

126. gag harbor on April 1st, 2013 9:28 pm

What do you think of calling for Furbush to get the critical out at game time??

127. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 9:28 pm

Is it me or has Coco stopped wiggling his fingers as much on his bat?

128. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 9:28 pm

Crap.

129. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 9:29 pm

HAH! They are pinch-hitting for Jaso?

130. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 9:30 pm

Jaso? Uh Oh.

131. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 9:30 pm

At least Furbush got the quick hook…

132. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:31 pm

I was wondering if they’d let Jaso bat. If it were me, I would have let him test Furbush, ignore the splits.

133. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:31 pm

109 pitches might’ve been a bit much for Felix’s first game.

134. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:32 pm

How could they pinch hit for Jaso? They don’t have Olivo on their roster.

135. djw on April 1st, 2013 9:33 pm

Christ. Should’ve let Felix finish the inning once he starts it.

136. djw on April 1st, 2013 9:33 pm

WHEW

137. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:34 pm

Nice job by Pryor.

138. bookbook on April 1st, 2013 9:34 pm

I’m glad they pulled Jaso.

139. Slats on April 1st, 2013 9:34 pm

Thank you Pryor.

140. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 9:34 pm

Whew…
    Anyone care to take a guess as to why Furbush and not Oliver was called on to face Crisp?

141. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 9:35 pm

Whew. I’d like to see Wilhelmsen considered in those kind of situations.

142. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:36 pm

That’s the sort of situation where having a traditional mindset about your closer will occasionally cost you a game.

2-0, bottom of the eighth, bases loaded… it would make more sense to use your best reliever right then and let someone else pitch the ninth.

(Great minds and all that, CM)

143. Breadbaker on April 1st, 2013 9:41 pm

ITA, CM and Westy. Particularly since the one thing you can’t take then is a walk and Pryor isn’t exactly known for his control.

144. nvn8vbryce on April 1st, 2013 9:44 pm

I was wondering if the Bartender was going to get called up vs Furbush.

145. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:44 pm

Felix pitching, 2-0 score. Who would have thought?

146. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 9:48 pm

Ow, that’s gotta hurt…

147. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah I can’t see that the veterans affected the typical Felix outing at all for at least this one game.

148. juneau_fan on April 1st, 2013 9:52 pm

*sigh* We’re not going quietly into the night…

149. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 9:53 pm

Handshakes and high-fives all around!

150. djw on April 1st, 2013 9:54 pm

4 way tie for first, baby!

151. HailToTheKingBaby on April 1st, 2013 9:54 pm

And on cue the bartender gives Montero a fist bump…

152. Westside guy on April 1st, 2013 9:54 pm

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

153. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 9:54 pm

Westy, all that especially :)

1-0 woohoo!!!

154. stevemotivateir on April 1st, 2013 9:54 pm

Well, a win is a win. Nice job by Tommy to bounce back after the walk.

155. Slats on April 1st, 2013 9:56 pm

King Felix!

156. californiamariner on April 1st, 2013 9:57 pm

Brendan Ryan AL MVP

157. The_Waco_Kid on April 1st, 2013 11:18 pm

We’re gonna go wire to wire (Sunday doesn’t count)