Game 6, Mariners at White Sox

marc w · April 6, 2013 at 9:14 am · Filed Under Mariners

Felix Hernandez vs. Dylan Axelrod, 10:10am

Happy Felix Day! Which do you prefer: a morning of Felix dominance that gives you the afternoon and evening to reflect on and marinate in his genius? Or a full day to look forward to Felix; being able to slough off the daily indignities of work and life because Felix looms a few hours away?

Dylan Axelrod made several starts for the White Sox last year after slicing through the upper minors. He’s a 30th round pick out of UC Irvine who started out in the system as a reliever, before taking to the rotation in 2010. He commands four pitches and limits walks, while his outpitch slider allows him to get a fair number of Ks (and have issues facing lefties). All told, he’s something like a poor man’s Brandon Maurer – he’s got an 88-89mph fastball, but he only uses it 45%-50% of the time, with his slider around 35-40%, and a curve ball and a change-up to round out the arsenal. Like Maurer, he didn’t really have HR issues in the minors, but he gave up a fair few last year, though of course his home park probably played a role in that. This should be a good match-up for Kendrys Morales and may be the kind of opponent Smoak and Ackley need to get it going a bit. Franklin Gutierrez gets the night off after a night game both to give him a rest and because this isn’t an ideal match-up for him. The M’s saw him in the spring; here’s hoping they do a bit better today.

Line-up:
1: Saunders, CF
2: Seager, 3B
3: Morales, DH
4: Morse, RF
5: Ibanez, LF
6: Smoak, 1B
7: Ackley, 2B
8: Shoppach, C
9: Ryan, SS
SP: King Felix

Other random tidbits:
Julio Morban’s off to a hot start for AA Jackson, with 5 hits in two games. Gabriel Guerrero’s still finding his feet with Clinton, going hitless in his first couple of games. His uncle Vlad Guerrero just signed a contract with the Long Island Ducks, where he’ll be joined by former Cy Young winner Dontrelle Willis.

Some of us were exchanging perplexed tweets about this while it was going on, but the Spring Koshien high-school baseball tournament just ended with 16-year old Tomohiro Anraku making headlines for throwing 772 pitches in a week. He opened with a 232 pitch 13-IP complete game, then a few days later threw 159 in another complete game. He rounded out the week with 130+ pitch complete games on back to back days (!) before pitching in the final. Exhausted, and with his velo down 6-8 MPH or so, he got pounded and his team lost 17-1. Apparently, this has set off some discussions in Japan about high-school workload, particularly around these tournaments. Just in time, too, as the Summer Koshien starts in a few months.

Jeremy Bonderman makes his Tacoma debut today in Fresno, while Hector Noesi begins his attempt to look nothing like Hector Noesi (at least the Noesi we’ve seen in the Mariner system) for AA Jackson. Matt Anderson starts for Clinton; he’s an interesting arm the M’s signed as a free agent last year.

Go M’s!

Comments

87 Responses to “Game 6, Mariners at White Sox”

1. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 9:52 am

Hopefully at some point reasonably soon, Wedge will settle on a day to day roster and stop the outfield shuffle.

Of course, there’s a non-zero chance his day to day starting lineup might include Ibañez or even Bay… so perhaps I should be careful about what I wish for?

2. Celadus on April 6th, 2013 10:08 am

I don’t think Wedge is the ideal manager to choose the proper players for a platoon system, or to select the right players once he has them.

In principle, though, I like the idea. Older players get rest, decent bats on the bench get to pinch hit when an opposite handed pitcher enters the game.

Employing the players who will give you the best chance to win on that particular day is seldom a bad idea. Worked for Casey Stengel and Earl Weaver among numerous others.

3. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 10:22 am

Man, with the wind action we’re seeing in the stadium this morning, it’s not a great day to be running TWO defensively challenged outfielders out there…

4. MrZDevotee on April 6th, 2013 10:33 am

Fellers-
    A day game after a night game is always a little different with rosters… So, much as I agree with the complaints about Wedge’s decisions, I give him a pass on a day game after a night game.

It’s always the preferred day to give folks a breather.

Go M’s!

5. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 10:39 am

That was a bad call at first. Dude’s foot was way off the bag.

6. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 10:40 am

Raul!

7. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 10:43 am

Ackley!

8. DarkKnight1680 on April 6th, 2013 10:45 am

This umpire gives axelrod all kinds of borderline pitches that were balls for Felix. Hopefully this doesn’t continue all game.

9. terryoftacoma on April 6th, 2013 10:50 am

When you stop to consider that Wedge rarely uses a pitch hitter, rotating his line up is not a bad idea to keep people both fresh and get some at bats for his bench.

10. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 11:07 am

Interesting – last year, Seattle was smack dab in the middle of the AL when it comes to pinch hit at-bats.

It’s funny to see how the two leaders, Tampa Bay and New York, pinch hit significantly more often than the other AL teams. But Wedge isn’t handling that situation all that differently from other AL Managers.

11. Coolalvin206 on April 6th, 2013 11:36 am

Nice job M’s squandering 1st/2nd with no outs !

12. Jake on April 6th, 2013 11:39 am

That’s the Morse in the outfield I remember.

13. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 11:40 am

Pitcher is having trouble throwing strikes, and Wedge tells Shoppach to bunt.

14. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 11:41 am

Okay, Morse, you owe us a dinger.

15. terryoftacoma on April 6th, 2013 11:41 am

I noticed that Westy. Could be the way rosters are constructed in the AL with the DH. Most managers don’t see the need. I remember last year when asked why he didn’t have Jaso pitch hit late in a game. He said they have just brought in a left hander.

16. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 11:43 am

To be honest, Terry, I didn’t expect that to be the case!

17. KW on April 6th, 2013 11:43 am

Felix’s ERA balloons to 0.71.

18. greentunic on April 6th, 2013 11:43 am

Ya I don’t like the choice to automatically bunt either. Tough to have a big inning if you always give an out.

19. djw on April 6th, 2013 11:44 am

It’s almost as if the whole 5 DH roster construction model wasn’t a great idea.

20. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 11:46 am

Well Morse wasn’t brought in for his glove, that’s for sure! But I’ll forgive him if he hits one out…

On a side note – I’m having trouble finding sac bunt stats.

21. terryoftacoma on April 6th, 2013 11:54 am

The wind is wild. I remember Stu Miller being blown off the mound in Candlestick. Of course, Miller was the orginal stringbean. haha

22. Jake on April 6th, 2013 11:56 am

Why not pinch hit Ibanez, for Bay?

23. djw on April 6th, 2013 11:58 am

Hey, Wedge. That Jason Bay-shaped thing next to you is Jason Bay. If we’re going to carry two irongloved ancient OFs, let’s actually use them properly.

24. djw on April 6th, 2013 11:58 am

Whoever could have predicted that?

25. Jake on April 6th, 2013 11:58 am

Ibanez struck out against a LOOGY? You don’t say.

26. Grayfox3d on April 6th, 2013 12:00 pm

Ibanez is a gritty professional hitter! C’mon! You should know that…

27. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:03 pm

Wait….. so Bay and Ibanez aren’t the same person? Somehow, I thought they were Seattle’s version of Fight Club.

28. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:04 pm

Has Felix thrown any pitch over 89 mph, today?

29. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 12:07 pm

Anyone else just hear the “holy shit” on the tv broadcast?

30. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:08 pm

Ouch.

31. pumpkinhead on April 6th, 2013 12:08 pm

I was wondering if I mis-heard that or not. Something like “Man the dust is flying, holy shit”.

32. darndy on April 6th, 2013 12:08 pm

I heard it loud and clear…

33. Jake on April 6th, 2013 12:08 pm

Fuck.

34. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:09 pm

I can’t get the game today Mike, but pitchfx is steadily showing his velocity in the 80′s, regardless of pitch choice. Is that where you’re seeing it too? If his velocity really is that low…. wow.

35. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 12:11 pm

Steve – it’s one game. And conditions in Chicago are pretty intense right now, could be anything. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Also.

GRUMBLE

36. nvn8vbryce on April 6th, 2013 12:12 pm

Time to pick Felix up, offense.

37. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:12 pm

Oh, I’m not alarmed. Just surprised. Like I said, I can’t see the game, so I’m trying to picture everything based on what I’m seeing here. If the wind is that bad, I wonder if they’ll delay the game?

38. WalterNeff on April 6th, 2013 12:13 pm

I rewound the DVR – he says ‘holy shit’

39. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 12:14 pm

There also have not been that many fastballs this game (I think), he’s definitely been getting squeezed a little. It’s a weird game, he’s obviously not as sharp as he was last week… but the ump has not been helping.

40. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 12:15 pm

Walter – I’m on Xbox and I rewinded too. Haha, so awesome! Except he will probably have to pay some sort of fine, which is stupid.

41. WalterNeff on April 6th, 2013 12:19 pm

Ice cold beer is the absolute worst beer. You Americans.

42. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:19 pm

Darn, I missed it. ;-)

43. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:19 pm

Do the Mariners have any all-around good ballplayers? Guti when healthy, maybe? Saunders – kinda … But he is still finding his way. Who is the teams best all-around ballplayer?

44. WalterNeff on April 6th, 2013 12:21 pm

Our best all-around players play for other teams.

45. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:21 pm

I would say Ackley, Mike. Except he hasn’t found his bat yet. He seems to have all the tools, though.

46. WalterNeff on April 6th, 2013 12:24 pm

The poor kerning on the back of Furbush’s jersey amuses me

47. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:27 pm

So far Seager has been rather good both offensively and defensively.

But I’d say it’s obviously Guti, when he’s healthy.

48. californiamariner on April 6th, 2013 12:31 pm

Felix definitely wasn’t sharp today and you could see it from the 1st inning. But that umpire didn’t help him early on.

49. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:34 pm

My wife notices the spacing on Fur bush’s jersey, too. Just a minute ago, as a matter of fact. Kerning, huh? Good word.

I would like to believe the Ackley “idea” Steve – I truly would. But at this point, it is more theory than anything. His best tool appears to be his base running ability, but we see so little of it that it is hard to tell.

50. Jake on April 6th, 2013 12:34 pm

Seager’s also made two errors already.

51. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:40 pm

His defense is there too, Mike. But yeah, it is more of a theory right now.

52. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:47 pm

CONDOR!!

53. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:47 pm

Atta boy, Michael Saunders! Got the ball up into the wind, perfectly.

54. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:47 pm

there we go!

55. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 12:48 pm

THE CONDOR. One more boys, one more…

56. Coolalvin206 on April 6th, 2013 12:48 pm

Walterneff…where are you from?

57. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:50 pm

I think if we’re going to rate people’s overall performance, what they did over 162 games last year (and previously, if they’ve been around longer) needs to be given a tiny bit more weight than what they’ve done in six games this year.

Seager’s two errors in 2013 shouldn’t sway the discussion.

58. californiamariner on April 6th, 2013 12:53 pm

Bay pinch running? He’s faster than Andino?

59. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:53 pm

Come on, Morse, you still owe us a dinger.

60. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:57 pm

Time for some “True Grit” clutchiness

61. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:57 pm

Andino’s our only infield backup – Wedge probably doesn’t want to burn him subbing at DH.

More fallout from the “let’s carry four DHs” roster decisions.

62. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 12:59 pm

Super AB, Raul … Just super.

63. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 12:59 pm

Bah, Raul.

64. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 12:59 pm

Raul once again

65. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 1:00 pm

Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul, thanks for the veteran K! He made him self look silly so that Justin relaxes and can Smoak one in here.

66. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 1:00 pm

:’(

67. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:01 pm

I’m trying not to judge Raul and Bay based on small sample sizes, because it’s only fair – but it’s hard when their initial performances match my expectations of them so closely.

But I’m sure it’ll sort itself out, if they continue to not hit through a couple months.

68. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 1:04 pm

Glad Morales is out of the lineup early. We needed a better hitter to DH

69. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 1:06 pm

Damn you Westy. My crack would have been more believable if you hadn’t posted that right before!

70. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:07 pm

I’m sorry Steve!

71. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 1:12 pm

The Organization must really, really dislike Wells to have kept both Ibanez and Bay. I mean – come on … 1 year of a 40 year old player who is bad defensively, over Wells? Why didn’t Bay start in AAA, this season? Contract?

I realize, this ground has been covered and I am preaching to the choir, but the issues that were predicted are playing out in front of our faces in real-time.

72. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:13 pm

I didn’t realize at first that Saunders hit that homer off a lefty. It’d be great if he continued the trend from last year of not showing significant splits.

73. zvazda on April 6th, 2013 1:15 pm

You’re kidding… Frankie had a pinch hit… in a game he didn’t start in?

74. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:15 pm

Come on Guti!

Come on Monty!

75. stevemotivateir on April 6th, 2013 1:20 pm

Saunders was actually better against lefties last year, Westy. Not sure about HR’s, but hitting in general.

Mike, it was a ML contract with Bay, hence the immediate roster move. What really amazes me, is that he could negotiate an ML contract after the disastrous stint in NY. But yeah, Bay AND Ibanez, and both are viewed as outfielders?

The competence of both Eric and Jack is questionable.

76. californiamariner on April 6th, 2013 1:24 pm

I know it’s been said a bunch of times but Wells could solve so many defense/base running/hitting vs lefties problems for this team.

77. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:26 pm

Condor’s average was better against lefties, but his OBP was a wash. However I didn’t realize he also showed more power against lefties.

wRC+: 116 against lefties, 103 against righties

78. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 1:29 pm

If they hadn’t brought in Bay, I don’t think I’d mind having Raul as a bench bat and OCCASIONAL spot starter.

Has anyone heard anything about Wells since the DFA?

79. mrakbaseball on April 6th, 2013 1:38 pm

Wells still lists himself as ‘Seattle Mariners Outfielder’ in his twitter bio.

80. Sports on a Shtick on April 6th, 2013 1:58 pm

Just an awful game, not so much for the singular end result but rather what today’s performance bodes for the rest of the season.

Did anyone have any confidence in Ibanez or Montero? Can this lineup put down bunts or move over runners in any coherent fashion?

81. msfanmike on April 6th, 2013 3:04 pm

… And with Chris Sale going tomorrow, I don’t expect an upward tick in the trend.

Bring on the Astros!

No news on Wells after 6 days (as far as I know) but it is going to be hard seeing him being able to clear waivers. I am not sure of the organizational protocol, but he is probably still working out with the team – down in Arizona.

82. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 5:18 pm

You know, after listening to Wedge’s post-game interview, I decided I was going to take a look at Ibañez’s career stats. And you know what? Career-wise, Wedge wasn’t wrong. Raul has, over his career, hit better when men are on base. He also hasn’t had a terrible record hitting against lefties either – 122 wRC+ versus righties, 94 against lefties. That’s not someone you’d automatically pinch hit for.

But if you look at his more recent history, Raul’s been pretty helpless against same-handed pitching – that doesn’t seem too surprising, on the face of it, for any aging ball player. But I doubt Wedge sees a curve when he thinks about player performance… he probably thinks (as an ex-ball player himself) you’ve got it until one day you just don’t.

I think, if it were up to me and the only choice stick with Ibañez or sub in Bay… I’d leave Raul in there.

83. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 5:25 pm

Also, the comment editing form here on USSMariner doesn’t play nicely with the iPad.

84. nvn8vbryce on April 6th, 2013 8:17 pm

Westy, it hates iOS 6 in general…

85. SonOfZavaras on April 6th, 2013 8:34 pm

Zunino has hit a dinger for AAA-Tacoma today- that’s 2 and counting.

It’s the epitome of small-sample-size theater to point this out and say what I’m going to say next…but I really think he’s not going to be in Tacoma very long.

My wonder is: does Jesus Montero get traded when it becomes clear Zunino’s ready to take the gig? When they bring him up, it won’t be to be the backup.

86. Westside guy on April 6th, 2013 9:03 pm

I’ve been wondering the same thing, SoZ. Zunino, so far, seems destined to destroy every minor league level he’s played at. I know it’s SSS, but he makes me think we just might have another Trout.

And it’s not like Montero is exactly shining behind the plate – that flinch, yesterday, that resulted in the ump getting nailed in the solar plexus, just cemented the idea in my mind that he really doesn’t belong there. But what can the team do? We’ve already got about 5 people who really should be considered, at best, first base depth…

87. groundzero55 on April 7th, 2013 3:58 am

I guess that depends on who they are able to sign to extensions. I can see Morse getting extended, but I don’t know about Morales. Or what the FO wants to do with Smoak, for that matter.

I could see Montero being shipped away along with a couple other pieces, hopefully for a corner outfielder who can hit AND play defense, who will relegate Ibanez to a pinch-hitting mode.