Game 7, Mariners at White Sox

marc w · April 7, 2013 at 10:19 am · Filed Under Mariners

Hisashi Iwakuma vs. Chris Sale, 11:10am

The White Sox beat Felix and ruined a perfectly good Felix day, so the M’s need to return the favor and get out of Chicago with a series win. It’s a tall order. Sale is dominant against lefties, and despite significant platoon splits, he’s pretty good against righties as well. The human foul pole gets well above average velocity and movement on his fastball, dropping to a low 3/4 delivery and firing 94-95mph darts. He mixes in a very good slider that he throws around 30-40% of the time, and which he uses against lefties and righties alike.

The big difference driving his large splits by FIP is home runs. Lefties don’t hit many, and righties hit a few. So if the M’s have a chance here, they’re probably going to need a HR from Morse, Morales or, if you’re still in the ‘he’s changed!’ camp, Smoak.

Iwakuma’s got his own HR problems, but he was brilliant in his first start against a lefty-heavy line-up. The White Sox don’t have as many lefties, but he’s still going to have to be careful with his fastball to guys like Konerko and Rios. More of the same, Hisashi.

Line-up:
1: Gutierrez, CF
2: Bay, LF
3: Morales, DH
4: Morse, RF
5: Montero, C
6: Smoak, 1B
7: Seager, 3B
8: Andino, 2B
9: Ryan, SS
SP: Iwakuma

If you’re going to get Ackley some rest, this is the game to do it. Of course, this is his 2nd time sitting against a lefty in a week. Boy am I glad the M’s don’t have any more of those ‘part-time’ players. This does mean that the M’s might have a better answer against Sox closer Addison Reed than bringing on a cold Jesus Montero. I understood the decision, but Reed is essentially the worst possible pitcher for Montero to face, particularly coming off the bench.

So a day or so after I write that the M’s OF defense won’t be TOO bad for a variety of reasons, yesterday’s loss turned (in part) on some poor defending and a terrible throw on a sac fly that gave Chicago its 4th run. I still believe the M’s won’t be legitimately awful, but that doesn’t mean the M’s are going to have some ugliness in high-leverage situations.

Go M’s!

Comments

81 Responses to “Game 7, Mariners at White Sox”

1. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 10:42 am

I wish the M’s had a backup infielder who could hit a little bit.

But maybe we’ll see one of the kids take that role in a couple of months, especially if Andino is going to get a lot of playing time. This is his 4th game already, although in one of them he was a 10th inning pinch runner. So, he has started 3 games out of 7. At that rate, it would get rid of the argument that you don’t want a kid sitting on the bench.

2. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 10:45 am

Bay and Morse both in the outfield today. Because Saunders hits left. But another possible ugly fielding day.

3. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 10:45 am

I’m curious to see if Wedge really intends to continue outfield round-robin all season, or at what point he figures out that Saunders should be starting most games – because really he should. The dude hit lefties all last season…

4. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 10:52 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this 2 out of 7 games that have featured both Saunders and Guti? Ugh.

5. casey on April 7th, 2013 11:00 am

yeah I agree on the outfielders. Didn’t Saunders hit a homer off a lefty yesterday…in fact didn’t he hit lefties pretty much even up last year? And isn’t he arguably our second best fielder so head scratcher for me. Guess under guise of early season and just getting everyone into games vs. putting your best team on the field.

I also think Ackley needs more plate appearances not less to get bat going but sure that veteran Andino presence is a big upgrade vs. a lefty than a struggling Ackley.

6. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:04 am

Andino didn’t have much of a platoon split.

I really don’t expect anything from him offensively. In fact, I actually think Ryan is a better hitter, Ryan should get a little regression to the mean bounce last year, he’s not really as bad as he hit last year.

7. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:10 am

And, of course, it is pretty unlikely that Bay will actually return to being a decent hitter again.

8. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:14 am

The human foul pole

Boy I guess.

Baseball-reference says he weighs 180 pounds.

Maybe if he had a backpack full of rocks when he got on the scale.

9. BackRub on April 7th, 2013 11:16 am

Good point about outfield defense yesterday, Marc. Morse essentially gave up a run by misplaying a very catchable ball into a triple. Keep it on the ground Hisashi!

10. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:17 am

The one skill Jason Bay indisputably has – he is still good at drawing a walk.

Of course that wasn’t enough to save Jack Cust…

11. Jordan on April 7th, 2013 11:18 am

Dear Wedge, if you must rotate players please don’t ignore defense. I suggest a simple solution:

Guti, Saunders and Morse is your starting outfield. If Guti needs to rest, play Wells…

If you must play veteran grit do it somewhere else. When Smoak struggles or Morales needs to rest, play Ibanez at DH.

12. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:20 am

BEAST!

13. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 11:21 am

MORSE!!!!

14. texasmarinerfan on April 7th, 2013 11:21 am

That Jaso trade isn’t looking that bad right now…

15. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:21 am

The one skill Jason Bay indisputably has – he is still good at drawing a walk

At least he did it in front of Morse!

16. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:22 am

That Jaso trade isn’t looking that bad right now…

Check back next year, and we’ll see.

17. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:23 am

Is Sims referring to Morse as “the Sea Beast”, or am I mis-hearing him?

18. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 11:25 am

I heard “Sea Beast”

19. Jordan on April 7th, 2013 11:25 am

^His nickname is Beast, so Sea Beast is just a natural leap.

20. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:29 am

I remember these Sox uniforms.

I always thought they were kind of ugly.

Not all-time ugly, but fairly ugly.

21. terryoftacoma on April 7th, 2013 11:31 am

The Soxs have a beast of their own.

22. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:36 am

I’m still looking to see if Smoak hits more line drives this year. If not, he’ll be headed to Tacoma and Morales will be moved to first, and Morse to DH, and we’ll be looking for an outfielder.

23. djw on April 7th, 2013 11:39 am

WS announcers are really ripping Wedge for not starting Saunders. they have a surprisingly high opinion of him.

24. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:40 am

Compared to Bay, I think a lot of Saunders, too.

25. joser on April 7th, 2013 11:44 am

I kind of like “Sea Beast”. Especially since we already have “Sea Ger”. (Or, if he hits more XBH and starts DHing, “Sea Gar”).

26. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:44 am

Wells may actually make it through waivers, at which point he could be out righted to Tacoma (I think).

Maybe this early in the season there just aren’t any roster spots available. Either that, or teams just don’t place the same value on his skill-set/potential that some of us do. Admittedly he’s not really a kid…

27. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:46 am

I’d have to think that the Astros or the Marlins would take Wells off waivers.

28. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:47 am

You’d think the Sox announcers would be happy with Wedge’s choices of corner outfielders. :-D

29. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 11:48 am

I’d rather have Thames than Bay in that role, if Wells goes away. But Wedge thinks Bay can play in Center.

30. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 11:48 am

Wouldn’t they have already done so, Paul?

31. joser on April 7th, 2013 11:49 am

Wedge appears to think he already has a couple, sprinkled with extra veteran grit. Of course the team shouldn’t have to look any further than the one they DFA’d.

Though I think the FO may still like him a bit: the time to sneak a guy through waivers is at the start of the season, when teams looking for a 25th man still have lots of other options.

32. djw on April 7th, 2013 11:56 am

If Guti needs to rest, play Wells…

I like your thinking. Just one problem…

33. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:01 pm

Wouldn’t they have already done so, Paul?

Isn’t he just DFA right now, and not actually on waivers yet?

Maybe I don’t understand how DFA works?

34. joser on April 7th, 2013 12:01 pm

On the radio they’re already talking about how bad the Astros are. I’d suggest it’s like a car wreck you can’t stop looking at, but this has a whiff of “hey look: it could be worse!” as well. Of course they are in the division (and the opponents tomorrow night) so there are legitimate reasons to be wallowing in the vicarious awfulness.

I’m still trying to get used to Rizzs’ new partner. He’s so blandly professional it feels like I’m listening to some other team’s broadcast. What will I do all summer without Hendu or Red making facepalm pronouncements?

35. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:01 pm

Kendrys with a double!

36. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:07 pm

Goldsmith gets a pass from me this year, he seems OK, but he might get more of an on air personality as he gets to know this team better.

I think of all the Mariner announcers, TV or radio, I like Blowers the best.

I never thought I would say that, and it isn’t to belittle the other announcers at all, it’s just that Blowers has grown on me and I really like hearing him on the broadcast.

37. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:08 pm

I think I’m the one misunderstanding the process, Paul. It looks like the team has 7 days to put him on waivers after designating him for assignment.

So I guess that would have to happen today, if he’s not already on waivers.

Part of my misunderstanding was, I think, driven by a snarky Baker tweet that implied Wells had been on waivers but unclaimed. However I expect Baker doesn’t exactly have a firm grasp on the facts of the situation.

38. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:09 pm

I like the Sims-Blowers combo, actually. I know not everyone shares my affinity for Sims though.

39. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:10 pm

In the “could be worse” camp, we don’t need to look at the Astros, we can just consider that last year the M’s gave

194 PA to Figgins,
    164 PA to Trayvon Robinson,
    115 PA to Kawasaki,
    323 PA to Olivo,
    126 PA to Liddi,
    57 PA to Peguero,
    189 Pa to Carp.

40. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes, I thought with DFA the team had a certain amount of time to trade the player, release the player outright, or send the player to the minors. And since Wells is out of options, he would have to clear waivers if the M’s sent him down.

41. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:13 pm

Westy, You follow the B guy on Twitter?

Eew. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Eew

42. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:19 pm

I have a Twitter list that includes all our local beat writers on it (and of course Dave, Sullivan, MLB trade rumors, etc. etc.)

I used to just use Dave’s list, but he doesn’t really maintain it as people change jobs (such as when Divish was moved to Husky sports for a year).

I don’t really follow people – Twitter is where baseball news breaks first anymore…but it’s the only thing I use Twitter for.

43. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:33 pm

MORALES!!

44. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 12:33 pm

KENDRYS!!

45. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:49 pm

Well that was dumb, Justin.

46. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 12:49 pm

That wasn’t very close. Guess the coach was counting on a bad throw?

47. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:52 pm

Everyone seemed to think Andino’s hit was going to go foul – including him!

48. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 12:57 pm

Crap.

49. SonOfZavaras on April 7th, 2013 12:59 pm

That Justin Smoak base-running mistake is looming a little larger.

50. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 1:05 pm

I’ll take it! Come on Morales/Morse

51. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:08 pm

Let’s go Morse!

52. djw on April 7th, 2013 1:15 pm

I wish I could generate some optimism about Montero’s future, but I just can’t do it. I fully expect a Zunino for Montero swap in June, so Montero can “figure it out”.

53. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 1:18 pm

What could Montero garner in a trade?

54. r-gordon-7 on April 7th, 2013 1:25 pm

Pineda? ;-)

55. californiamariner on April 7th, 2013 1:25 pm

How does Smoak swing at a fastball that never came close to the zone

56. djw on April 7th, 2013 1:25 pm

Oh ffs Smoak. That’s embarrassing. The WS announcers could scarcely believe it. Still chuckling about their goood fortune.

57. SonOfZavaras on April 7th, 2013 1:26 pm

I think Kyle Seager leads the A.L. in “chin music heard”.

Seriously, every game he has to duck one or two pitches going for his head.

58. Coolalvin206 on April 7th, 2013 1:27 pm

Why is Andino on this team? Automatic out

59. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:28 pm

Pineda is apparently throwing off a mound now, and might be back mid-season.

60. SonOfZavaras on April 7th, 2013 1:30 pm

Time to hold on for extra frames.

Hard to believe, but this bullpen really misses Josh Kinney.

61. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:31 pm

I know it’s less than 10 games, but so far Smoak has looked like the old Smoak more often than he’s looked like re-invented Smoak.

62. djw on April 7th, 2013 1:38 pm

Hurry up Zunino…

63. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:39 pm

WHAT was that, Montero? You KNOW it’s gonna be in the dirt, you need to get those knees together!

64. msfanmike on April 7th, 2013 1:40 pm

Nice Fundies, Jesus! … For Phooking out loud!!

65. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:41 pm

In slow motion it was obvious Montero flinched receiving that last pitch to Rios.

He seems like a good kid, but he really isn’t a catcher.

66. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:49 pm

I wonder if its a result of the changes they’ve been working on with Jesus, trying to get him to be a better thrower?

I remember when we first saw him at catcher last year – the one thing he seemed to do reasonably well was square up and block pitches. I remember it because it was such a contrast to Olivo… but now, it’s like he IS Olivo.

67. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:51 pm

All right Condor! Now let’s drive him in!

(Thank goodness Wedge can’t bunt in this situation)

68. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:53 pm

Okay, Morse, try to lay off those sliders low and away for once.

69. Swungonandbelted on April 7th, 2013 1:53 pm

Intentional walk to get to the Seamonster…. Whack it Morse!

70. stevemotivateir on April 7th, 2013 1:53 pm

Does walking Morales really make much sense? Morse hit’s RHP fairly well, and they only need one out.

71. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 1:56 pm

Walking Morales was a Wedge-esque decision. I hope it bites them.

DAMMIT.

72. stevemotivateir on April 7th, 2013 1:57 pm

Guess they’re ok with that decision;)

73. stevemotivateir on April 7th, 2013 1:58 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing Westy. Something we would expect from Wedge.

74. dewey on April 7th, 2013 2:04 pm

This Chicago White Sox team is really starting to piss me off.

75. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 2:05 pm

Good night.

76. Coolalvin206 on April 7th, 2013 2:07 pm

And the M’s take their rightful place under .500 for the rest of the year.

77. currcoug on April 7th, 2013 2:13 pm

A 3-4 roadtrip against the A’s, and in Chicago is pretty good in my book…and both losses in Chicago were by one run.

Still not a fan of Loe, and wonder why we traded Kelley?

We miss Kinney, what a freak injury.

78. Coolalvin206 on April 7th, 2013 2:23 pm

Gee weird….M’s great spring training doesn’t translate to the regular season .

79. Paul B on April 7th, 2013 2:36 pm

It’s almost like spring training stats aren’t predictive.

Who would have thought?

80. Westside guy on April 7th, 2013 3:10 pm

Both spring training and the 2013 season so far count as small sample sizes, of course.

Morse will almost certainly continue to mash… but not at a rate anywhere near what he’s done so far – 1.182 OPS would be a season for the ages. I expect Kendrys Morales to mash as well. Raul will probably hit well enough to not embarrass himself in the Gritty Veteran Leadership roster spot… as long as Wedge doesn’t decide he should start full time. Bay, though, really needs to be on a short leash as far as even having a roster spot goes – but I will be surprised if Wedge/Z actually do that.

I am finding this team more fun to watch, though; and while I get annoyed at Wedge, he hasn’t (yet) done any of the truly stupid things I thought might happen. Hopefully Hultzen and Zunino will force themselves onto the 25-man by mid-year. If another of the big three does that as well, it’ll be gravy.

81. Power of orange on April 7th, 2013 7:34 pm

How about putting Wedge on a short leash if the Mariners so much as lose a single game against the AA team known as the Astros. What an embarrassment to the game