Game 24, Angels at Mariners

marc w · April 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Brandon Maurer vs. Garrett Richards, 7:10pm

I’m sure everything’s going to be different now that the M’s had a closed-door meeting. Manager Eric Wedge ranted, changed color, refused to mince words, etc. The M’s return home with a much greater understanding of what it is their skipper expects from them; “playing awful baseball” isn’t in the enumerated list of expectations. So now players, manager, the front office and fans are all on the same page, and I’m pretty sure we’re going to see a completely different team going forward. (I mean, they closed *all* of the doors for their meeting. This was not a casual chat, with random people filing in and out of the room. This was a focused, controlled, information-rich confab).

Tonight’s starter, Garrett Richards, has never made much sense. Blessed with a fastball in the 95-96mph range and a visually impressive slider, Richards has disappointed at virtually every level of baseball. At the University of Oklahoma, he got strikeouts but yielded way too many walks and homers. In the minors, his command improved, but it came at a cost: his strikeout rate’s been decent but uninspiring for a guy who throws as hard as Richards does. In the majors, he’s been worse – very few K’s, mixed with too many walks and a well-deserved lack of a defined role. He appeared destined for another year as the long-man in the bullpen, but Jered Weaver’s elbow injury gave Richards another shot at the rotation, and in a couple of starts he’s been excellent.

He throws a four-seam fastball to righties and a sinker to lefties, and uses his slider as his out-pitch to both of them. While his arm angle and arsenal suggest huge platoon splits, they haven’t really shown up yet. While he doesn’t strike out a ton of lefties, he’s K’d a shockingly low number of right-handers. While it’s way too early to know if something’s really changed, he’s been sharper against both so far. Really, he’s not too dissimilar from Brandon Maurer. Maurer doesn’t throw as hard, but he too combines above-average velocity with a sharp slider, but hasn’t yet been able to put many hitters away with it. While Richards looked like he *should* have platoon splits, Maurer’s actually shown them, despite a more over-the-top delivery. Again, SSS caveats abound when we’re talking about two pitchers without much MLB experience, in April. But Maurer’s struck out only *one* of the 43 lefties he’s faced (that’d be switch-hitting Rangers utility infielder Leury Garcia), while giving up four walks, three homers and eight total extra-base hits. Lucky for Maurer, the heart of the Angels order bats right-handed, but he needs to take Matthew’s advice and not throw Josh Hamilton a strike. Literally zero sliders should be in the zone against Hamilton.

The other big story in M’s land is the fortuitous alignment of minor league rotations that offers a stunning syzygy of pitching prospects. M’s top-10 prospect Victor Sanchez makes his 2013 debut with the Clinton Lumberkings at the ripe old age of 18 (he’s the second youngest player in the league) against Indians top-10 hurler Mitch Brown. A little bit later, M’s #2 prospect Taijuan Walker takes the hill for Jackson against Dodgers #2 prospect Zach Lee. Finally, Danny Hultzen and the Rainiers are in Las Vegas to take on the 51s and #2 Mets prospect Zack Wheeler.* The game was supposed to feature the top two catching prospects in the minors in Mike Zunino and Las Vegas’ Travis D’Arnaud, but the latter’s on the shelf due to injury. If you wanted to tune out the M’s for a day and gorge yourself on hope, well, today seems like a good day for that.

Mariner line-up:
1: Chavez, CF
2: Seager, 3B
3: Morales, DH
4: Smoak, 1B
5: Ackley, 2B
6: Shoppach, C
7: Peguero, RF
8: Bay, LF
9: Andino, SS
SP: Brandon Maurer

The M’s outfield tonight is Jason Bay, Endy Chavez and Carlos Peguero. Would you like the audio link for the Rainiers game again? Sure thing.

I think the defining moment of the Astros series was Chris Carter’s home run against Saunders in the final game. It was just a solo shot, the game was clearly still in doubt, and Chris Carter’s always had light-tower power. According to hit-tracker, it didn’t even make it 400 feet (wait, seriously?), but the *sound* of that shot was unreal. Sure, it helps to have the roof closed in a deserted ballpark, but it was a neat little summary of other clubs ability to extract value from marginal players and the M’s inability to do the same. I’ve been following Chris Carter since 2009 when he arrived in AAA Sacramento in time for the PCL playoffs and basically single-handedly eliminated the Rainiers. It was a performance that still gives Mike Curto flashbacks and cold sweats. But I have never seen a player look as lost at the plate as Carter did in his cup of coffee in 2010. Not Peguero, not Brendan-Ryan-in-2013, not Wlad Balentien. He was back in 2011 and was somehow even worse, striking out in over 40% of his PAs, and just looking like the definition of a AAAA slugger (and even there, Carter’s still not put up a AAA season as productive as Peguero’s 2011 OR 2012). The A’s were a combination of patient and lacking in better options with him, but while he still struck out an alarming rate, he combined with Brandon Moss to generate Albert Pujols-level production from the 1B slot last year. This isn’t a miracle or anything. His speed, defensive problems and position meant that even with an 860 OPS in 67 games, he was worth just one win above replacement. Thus far with Houston, it’s more of the same – he’s struck out 35 times already in just 87 plate appearances – but five home runs and decent number of walks add up to, well, not a whole lot, but the Astros have a cheap 1B with some promise. I’ve been incredibly pessimistic about Carter now for years, and I think a big part of that is because, being an M’s fan, I’ve *never seen* a flawed hitter improve and become productive.** That violent crack reminded me that it actually *is* possible, and that many teams acquire flawed hitters with the idea that their staff can ameliorate some of the deficiencies and their manager can put the player in a position to succeed. That’d be nice.

I am pretty jealous of Matthew right now.

I’m also jealous of Ranger fans, not just because of all of that ‘winning’ and ‘pennants’ and stuff, but because they get to watch Yu Darvish. This gif shows five of Yu Darvish’s many, many pitches. It is amazing. (Hat tip to Lone Star Ball, everyone in my twitter feed, and LSB user ‘DShep’ for creating it).

* For the sake of completeness: High Desert plays Bakersfield in a California League game featuring several baseball players.
** Ok, Jose Lopez counts, but only for one year. If Carter is just a 2012 mirage, then I take this overwrought paragraph back.

Comments

126 Responses to “Game 24, Angels at Mariners”

1. henryv on April 25th, 2013 5:13 pm

Is this the worst outfield for a April game in a year? A decade? A score of years? Or just a fortnight?

2. Bodhizefa on April 25th, 2013 5:35 pm

What a godawful lineup.

3. casey on April 25th, 2013 5:53 pm

lineup is truly awful although doesn’t include Ibanez :) Don’t get why Thames didn’t get called up – his major league numbers are at least average and he is ripping it up at AAA.

Did I read that Saunders is making rehab start for Tacoma in Las Vegas tonight?

4. stevemotivateir on April 25th, 2013 5:54 pm

Imagine if he had Bay in center, Ibanez in left, and Peguero in right.

Yes, it could be worse. But given how bad this lineup is, they’ll probably win.

5. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 6:29 pm

That GIF is SO FREAKIN’ COOL… Same pitch, but 5 different directions at the end… Insane. Funny thing is, we don’t really appreciate him yet. While the rest of the league sees an amazing, unhittable pitcher, the Mariners more often than not have faced a guy with control trouble, who gives up runs early.

Like those pitches, he’s a bunch of different guys rolled in one to he M’s.

Oh yeah, the M’s… Can we please, pretty please, win a game… Please. (I’m deep in the heavy concentration it takes to ignore the outfield by the way.)

6. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 6:31 pm

Casey, not confirming your info, but adding that I read yesterday Saunders was due for a rehab assignment, starting Friday, before coming back to Seattle… So maybe they’re rushing it a little (to start axing heads when he’s back?)…

7. Paul B on April 25th, 2013 6:59 pm

I bet the Rainiers could play over 500 ball against that lineup.. Jackson, too.

Six replacement level hitters. Maybe seven. Geology Nova on KBTC right now, sorry Mariners.

8. bookbook on April 25th, 2013 7:06 pm

Surely you’re mistaken.

The M’s don’t have six hitters as high as replacement level.

9. bigsmooth on April 25th, 2013 7:07 pm

Hmmm. Hultzen scratched from the start.

10. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:13 pm

bigsmooth-
    Hultzen got called up… He’s playing SS for the M’s tomorrow… (’cause he hits and throws better than Andino)…

(ba-dum *cymbal crash*)

11. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:14 pm

Is it me, or does this lineup scream… “I’m fired, so who gives a crap… (scribble, scribble, scribble)…”

12. lalo on April 25th, 2013 7:16 pm

Is Hultzen getting traded for Stanton? I can dream :)

13. Bodhizefa on April 25th, 2013 7:26 pm

No callup. Hultzen is injured. There is no floor.

14. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:30 pm

God, I think you are right. No floor.

At least we have each other and misery loves company – so there is that!

Us and the literally several hundred people in attendance at tonight’s game.

15. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:34 pm

I may bug out and mow the lawn.

I am honestly not sure why I am watching this – I think it must be for you guys, because its definitely not for THOSE guys…

16. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:37 pm

Trout looked almost Peguero-ish tracking that fly ball.

17. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:40 pm

I still look at these games as a 3 hour daily vacation, but I am not sure for how much longer, Westy.

I can tolerate seeing losses if the team plays good baseball or is interesting, but yeah – mowing the lawn does sound like more fun. I probably need to go find six neighbors lawns to mow and hit one per day – if this season continues its current “progression.”

18. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:42 pm

… And Westy comes in with the first actual game comment on this thread – in the bottom of the 2nd inning. I wonder how many more there will be today?

19. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:46 pm

Wow, that wasn’t half bad Jason!

20. Longgeorge1 on April 25th, 2013 7:46 pm

Each outing Maurer is looking “real”

21. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey, the circus is in town!

22. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:49 pm

Hey,
    Anybody up in the Vancouver/Victoria area? Or know if there’s a channel that is akin to RootSports…?

Can’t find the M’s game up here (vacationing with the wife) but the Jays/Yankees game was on 4 different channels at once earlier… *sigh*

23. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:49 pm

And right on cue. He never disappoints.

24. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:50 pm

I usually like Blowers… but advocating for Peguero to get consistent playing time is INSANE.

25. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:51 pm

He’s good for staying another month now. That is awful long way to hit that particular pitch.

26. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 7:51 pm

It takes Peggy one AB to match Smoak’s homer total.

27. Longgeorge1 on April 25th, 2013 7:51 pm

MY OH MY

28. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

Vote Peggy for the All-Star game! (snark)

29. Swungonandbelted on April 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

Jesus Peguero unloaded on that… And a breaking ball to boot

30. Swungonandbelted on April 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

Jesus Peguero unloaded on that… And a breaking ball to boot

31. Kazinski on April 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

As opposed to Ibanez and Bay?

32. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:52 pm

Haha, I was about to add “and now he’ll start for the next four weeks” – to my previous post. Great minds think alike, Mike.

33. Kazinski on April 25th, 2013 7:53 pm

Peguero has never hit an MLB homerun against a fastball. He kills breaking balls.

Let me see him turn on a fastball and I will be impressed.

34. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:54 pm

Swungon, Carlos Peguero’s homers are ALWAYS on off speed pitches. Jeff wrote about it a few weeks ago.

35. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:55 pm

Man, Peggy and Bay are just killing it…

(silence… thinking…)

Fuck, I hate this game. *laugh*

36. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 7:57 pm

I like this Garret Richards guy, though… Slow it down M’s… Don’t knock him out too early.

37. WTF_Ms on April 25th, 2013 7:57 pm

See? That “closed door” talking to, they got is working!

38. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 7:57 pm

The Angels’ pitching seems to be as bad as advertised. Our guys may actually have a shot of winning this series… But it’s early days yet.

I’m happy Seager is apparently coming around, though.

39. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 7:59 pm

Westy, I hope you realize that you cannot mow your lawn until this hot-streak ends. It might take days. It might be minutes.

40. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 8:01 pm

Since Mike Sweeney is Mr. 6-4-3, Kendrys is hereby appointed Mr 4-6-3.

41. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 8:06 pm

Hehehe I like it, hidalgo – even though I like Kendrys overall.

42. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:08 pm

Does that make Ackley then “Kendrys Lite”?

He’s just 4-3… He keeps it simple.

43. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 8:10 pm

Maurer has obviously made a deal with Satan. Pitching success in return for displaying the devil’s pubes on his chin.

44. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:12 pm

LOL @ Hidalgo…

(That’s gonna stick with me… I can’t look at him without laughing… I really want him to shave it now, even if he starts pitching worse…)

45. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:12 pm

According to a quick and pointless google search, the “463″ area code has not yet been assigned, so it can beckme the Kendrys, WA if we so choose.

46. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:14 pm

Mike-
    How ’bout we just designate Safeco Field as the “463″… Our gang’s turf… “Yo.”

(making old man gang signs when I said that, like “peace” and “the bird”)

47. WTF_Ms on April 25th, 2013 8:19 pm

The Shop is my choice over Monty. So much better than Montero.

48. Longgeorge1 on April 25th, 2013 8:21 pm

463 T Shirt night I like it

49. islandan on April 25th, 2013 8:25 pm

MrZDevotee

Yeah. um, major sore point. Root Sports doesn’t know where Canada is. Hardly ever see M’s games anymore. Kind of stupid when you think about it, there’s a fanbase up here, although the way this current edition is going……
    As for the Jays, RSN has gone completley overboard with their Jays promotion, like they were expecting a WS appearance, only for the Jays to stub their toes early on. Funny.

50. Longgeorge1 on April 25th, 2013 8:26 pm

5-4-3 on Borgous we’re going to the playoffs

51. stevemotivateir on April 25th, 2013 8:28 pm

Nice to see Maurer holding his own. This is his third good start in a row.

52. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:28 pm

Man, he breaks a bat every AB.

Peace and the bird … Old man gang signals – That is funny!

53. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:32 pm

Definitely nice to see Maurer get locked in… As a “location” pitcher I’m sure even the tiniest bit of nerves was highly destructive when he first came up. He looks like he did in Spring now… I kinda like his “could really care less, I’m pitching my game” approach… Sort of like Felix light. He’s just locked into his own plan. Putting the ball where he wants it. Daring guys to hit it hard. Jamie Moyer with better velocity, and more pitches.

54. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 8:32 pm

The Bird is the Word.

55. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 8:33 pm

Still need more than two runs but at least we made it through the dreaded 5th inning.

56. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:34 pm

What does that make “Grease”

57. djw on April 25th, 2013 8:34 pm

After all this talk about how the Mariners are unwatchable, a game is ongoing that I’d really like to watch–Maurer pitching well is something I could use to generate optimism about the future. Of course, for some reason Extra Innings is blocking out LAA/SEA in freaking Ohio for some reason…

58. deflated on April 25th, 2013 8:35 pm

MrZDevotee – you’re not getting a Mariners game in Vancouver, the main Canadian cable sports channel is part of the coporation that owns the Blue Jays (and it’s the final home game for the Canucks which trumps anything).

59. islandan on April 25th, 2013 8:38 pm

deflated……and the Nucks look terrible, as usual.

Would rather watch Richards and Maurer duel. See is Maurer is all the hype. With best wishes to M’s fans, the future can’t come soon enough. The system has at least three more live arms on the way in Paxton, Walker and Hultzen.

60. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 8:41 pm

Cleveland is obviously part of the Angels exclusive zone, djw.

61. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:45 pm

djw-
    Cleveland has a city mandated blackout of any games involving Eric Wedge… Still too fresh in their memories… It’s not good for their morale… (ba-dum *cymbal crash*)

(Naturally this came about because of a closed door meeting)

62. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 8:46 pm

Yay Kendrys. Way to mix it up. A 2-4 DP this time.

63. JasonJ on April 25th, 2013 8:47 pm

Was that a hit and run with Morales? I guess Wedge was tired of all the double plays.

64. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:47 pm

Are you going to announce your pending username sex change operation in this thread MrZ?

65. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:48 pm

Seriously though– Maurer has put together a really tidy game… 6 hits, 1 walk, 5 K’s, 80+ pitches through 6 innings. And this is the ANAHEIM Astros, much better than their Texas counterparts at the plate…

Well done, so far, kid!

66. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:49 pm

I still think you should have gone with Rob-Roy Devotee.

67. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 8:49 pm

(Mike, seems premature before I can use it… I think someone needs to okay it or something… Still no password at my email address for the new login)

*By the way, since I have this dream of him stepping down but staying in the “draft” world of the M’s, I also considered changing it to “MrZDemotee”* (laugh)

68. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 8:55 pm

Carter Capps looks like my paperboy.

69. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 8:55 pm

If you used the same email address as you used when you created your current account, I don’t believe WordPress will let you create a second account – the email address is tied to the username.

I’ve had to do some WordPress admin stuff in my alternate life…

70. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:56 pm

Nice!

Maybe you won’t care, but people will refer to you as Ms …, so that’s gonna have to be your call.

71. G-Man on April 25th, 2013 8:57 pm

YES! DP! Just what the doctor ordered!

72. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 8:57 pm

Just what the doctor ordered. Nice 70′ toss by Ackley – but at least it was straight.

73. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes…Nice way to start the DP Andino. Finally nice to have a shortstop who doesn’t boot the tailor made double play when our team has a shutout going…

74. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 9:01 pm

So, in summary – it was “just what the doctor ordered.”

75. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:01 pm

You can change your nickname, though, by going to http://www.ussmariner.com/wp-admin/profile.php

I think that would do what you want.

However when you log in, you’d still log in as MrZDevotee. And it’s possible there’s a limit on how often you can change your nickname.

76. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 9:05 pm

Three good AB’s by Ackley tonight.

77. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:08 pm

Decent bunt there by Shoppach, actually. Not sure I’d have wanted a bunt there, but not the worst decision in the world for once.

78. WTF_Ms on April 25th, 2013 9:09 pm

Wow…the battle for the basement has gotten to the point where Peggy is “feared” by the Angels??

79. djw on April 25th, 2013 9:09 pm

Cleveland has a city mandated blackout of any games involving Eric Wedge

Makes as much sense as anything else. I’m about as far from Cleveland as you can get in Ohio, but I can see why they wouldn’t want to take any chances.

80. G-Man on April 25th, 2013 9:12 pm

And a clutch hit! Be still my heart!

81. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:15 pm

If the Mariners take the series from Anaheim, my money’s on Scioscia replacing Wedge as “most likely to be the first manager fired in 2013″.

Seriously, that lineup… and they get beat by the Mariners!?

82. JasonJ on April 25th, 2013 9:16 pm

Nice. Let’s win a friggin game!

83. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:16 pm

Westy-
    It worked, but I don’t think you guys could see my comments under the other name (or I think I would have gotten at least one laugh)…

My comments with that name say “awaiting moderation”…

It was “GMZpallbearer”

84. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:17 pm

Yeah, it probably got treated the same as a new account. I know new posters are moderated by default here.

85. killeverything on April 25th, 2013 9:18 pm

Beat by the Mariners with Andino ( amongst others ) in the lineup!

86. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:18 pm

That’s the way–no double play–Jason Bay..

Now if we just call up Triunfel to play short part-time with Andino and to spell Ackley against tough lefties… Ship Brendan off to Toronto for a hard throwing relief prospect

87. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:18 pm

Only think I posted with it was:

“Quick…
    Name the LAST Mariner to be INTENTIONALLY WALKED!!! (I’m guessing Ichiro…)

WTF?”

88. The_Waco_Kid on April 25th, 2013 9:19 pm

We want triunfel

89. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:20 pm

Andino’s a gritty veteran who plays the game the right way, knows how to go about his business and um… what’s the other cliche Wedge likes to use?

Oh, and he knows how to win.

90. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey GoPilots-
    We agree on something… I was looking at the Blue Jays starting lineup today and thinking…

“They’re starting Muneori Kawasaki at SS… They might consider Brendan Ryan an UPGRADE…! Bless their hearts…”

(stranger things have happened)

91. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:22 pm

Westy
    I was thinking…
    “And he sits right next to Ibanez on the bench to prove it!”

92. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:22 pm

I think most other teams have a hard time believing a guy like Peguero can be neutralized with a steady diet of fastballs – they see that in the scouting report and figure their advance scout is developing a drinking problem.

93. hidalgo on April 25th, 2013 9:24 pm

Mike Trout is part of my dream outfield along with Mike Carp and Tim Salmon and Kevin Bass in reserve. I believe they would work for scale!

94. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:25 pm

Is there a blender big enough to put Smoak and Peggy in? Creating a single player who can crush fastballs AND breaking balls?

Smogeuro?

Peguak?

Where’s Dr. Frankenstein when you need him?

95. MissouriMariner on April 25th, 2013 9:25 pm

This team is sad and makes it worse that we will now get a steady diet of Peggy…..on a side note….don’t feel bad about the name MrZ….I no longer live in MO but am stuck with the name….not the end of the world….

96. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:27 pm

Mr Z,

Finally! Too bad this did not a week ago and maybe we could have got the reliever and Casper back..

97. WTF_Ms on April 25th, 2013 9:27 pm

I’m also thinking with Endy, we could thin the glut of “gritty veteran” outfielders too? (read: Ibanez/Bay)

98. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:29 pm

Congratulations Mariner fans, we now have a player hitting OVER .300– Endy Chavez is at .310 after going 3 for 4 tonight! And Seager can join him with a hit here (currently .298)…

99. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:31 pm

GoPilots-
    Or hypnotize the Jays front office with “the force” and get Brandon Morrow back?

Us: We’d like Brandon Morrow back.

Them: “Here… Take Brandon Morrow back…”

100. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:31 pm

To be a little fair to Wedge – if Peggy strikes out 52% of the time like he did last time, Wedge will sit him.

Boy this Angels pitching really is bad!

101. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 9:31 pm

CapSea is right … Kyle Seager is boss.

102. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:31 pm

Ding Ding Ding Ding..

TWO GUYS over .300 at once… We’re spoiled.

103. texasmarinerfan on April 25th, 2013 9:32 pm

Put Smoak in the 543 area code

104. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:33 pm

Lost in all the scoring is the note Sims just brought up – Mariners have GIDP 5 times tonight.

105. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:37 pm

“Mariners have GIDP 5 times tonight”

Wow, that should get us close to the league lead… Has to… er wait… We were ALREADY leading the league in GIDP…

That’s cool- something we’re better at than anyone else in baseball… And to think we had lost hope.

106. poordispatcher on April 25th, 2013 9:37 pm

I remember 2 years ago when Ackley and Seager came up together, and Ackley was the hot prospect while Seager was “also there.” How quickly things change in baseball…

107. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:38 pm

Yes, the hitting into dp’s is not good, but I would much rather have Smoak rapping that first pitch hard for a dp instead of flailing at strike three. That stroke will work most of the time..

108. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:38 pm

poordispatcher–
    AND, all of us debating whether Seager was even good enough to deserve a shot at playing 3B everyday back then…

109. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:39 pm

Woo Hoo!

110. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:40 pm

Okay prediction time…. Who is the next Mariner to get about .300 ?

111. californiamariner on April 25th, 2013 9:40 pm

Nice to see any wins we can get. Maurer keeps looking better as he gets more starts. Any win against the Angels I love :D

112. poordispatcher on April 25th, 2013 9:40 pm

Did the Angels just gave up in the 9th?

113. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 9:41 pm

Saunders was hitting 280-something when he went on the DL…

114. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:42 pm

Nice win.

(Although I KNEW we were up by 6 and only glanced away from Gameday for maybe 30 seconds… Scared the crap out of me when Gameday defaulted to “Due up: Shoppach, Peguero, Bay”

I actually quipped “fuck me” and looked at the score to see if they’d tied it or took the lead… (good God!?!?!)

Not funny, Gameday. (Or maybe Gameday has never seen the Mariners ahead going to the bottom of the 9th and forgot what to do?)

115. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 9:43 pm

Sorry, I meant ABOVE 300. And let’s not forget that Carlos P. is above it now too!!

116. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 9:46 pm

I think Gameday probably git wind of your old guy gang hand signals and gave you one back – in its own way.

117. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:46 pm

“Hey Josh Hamilton… How you like what Brandon Maurer was offering you tonight? Is Seattle’s offer “still not serious”!?!?”

(Man I loved during Hamilton’s first trip back to Arlington Ron Washington was intentionally walking guys to get to Hamilton… Intentionally walked the BASES LOADED once to get to Hamilton. And he stunk it up that series. It was beautiful.)

118. msfanmike on April 25th, 2013 9:47 pm

Westy – no mowing tomorrow. Respect the “streak”.

119. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:49 pm

How much do you think we’d have to pay the Safeco sound guy to give Josh Hamilton a special “walk up” tune– like the parrot from Cheech & Chong’s “Up In Smoke”…

“Wanna get high?… Bock… Wanna get high?”

120. MrZDevotee on April 25th, 2013 9:51 pm

“Dear Eric Wedge-
    We may have our differences, but I care about you as a person… Please go home and get the first real sleep you’ve probably had in a week, and come back and get ‘em again tomorrow!

God bless,
    MrZDevotee”

(I’d still like to see us replace him, though)

121. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 10:55 pm

Marc, Thanks for the heads up “down on the farm”

Sanchez numbers look good in Clinton…Walker finally goes 7 and dominates?…the Generals pound on Zach Lee…bummer… anybody know why Chattanooga Lookout home games are not televised by MiLB?

Nick Franklin goes bonkers tonight and is now hitting .400. Carlos Triunfel gets his second dinger and stays above 320…Great news too…Romero starting in LF and the Rain Dogs beat up on another Zach this one of the Wheeler variety.

a good night in prospectville… will watch the Rainiers replay later..

But the big question…why didn’t Hultzen get the start tonight….on the way to Seattle? Maybe in another 6 weeks?

122. Westside guy on April 25th, 2013 11:02 pm

They said Hultzen “couldn’t get loose” before the game, so the scratched him as a precaution.

123. gopilots70 on April 25th, 2013 11:10 pm

Mr.Westside==

Thanks!

124. spuuky on April 26th, 2013 9:18 am

Damn, I wasn’t here to comment about all the GIDP when they managed FIVE of them. In a WIN?

I think I’m going to adopt the “Go Hawks” approach of the Seahawks, but cutting off the first half of the name.

Go Ners!

125. DaKine on April 26th, 2013 1:16 pm

GoNers! *chuckle*

126. jordan on April 26th, 2013 2:03 pm

Goners just about hits the nail on the head.

But hey, Don’t hate on the closed door meetings. 1-0 post meeting. 100% success rate.