Game 28, Orioles at Mariners

marc w · April 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm · Filed Under Mariners

Joe Saunders vs. Zach Britton, 7:10pm

The Orioles famously won 93 games and won the wild card (while playing in the toughest division in baseball) last season despite being picked last by nearly every major baseball outlet/scribe. There were a number of reasons they outperformed their runs scored/runs allowed – an insane record in one-run games and in extra innings, for example. In related news, their cobbled-together bullpen was a force. Adam Jones broke out and Mark Reynolds was solid enough on offense. One hidden source of wins enabling them to hold off the Angels was, well, the Mariners. The O’s went 8-1 against the M’s as their starting rotation, which was in shambles after Jason Hammel’s injury, flat-out dominated Mariner hitters (a .610 OPS-against, a 3.3 K:BB ratio, etc.). Sure, sure, the M’s were eminently dominatable, but so were Baltimore’s starting pitchers. Zach Britton was hurt, Brian Matusz ended up in the bullpen, Tommy Hunter started giving up HRs in pre-game warm-ups, they ended up giving starts to Dana Eveland, because why not…. get past Wei-Yin Chen and it was ugly.

Zach Britton was responsible for some of that ugliness after coming back from a shoulder injury that plagued the end of his 2011 campaign. Since the All-Star Break in that year, Britton’s been ineffective, hurt, or both – giving up well over 5 runs per 9IP thanks in large part to poor command. As is usually the case, the picture’s a lot better looking at FIP. His velocity’s still there, and his strikeout rate’s even improved. But between shoulder woes and his patchy 2012, he began the 2013 campaign back in AAA Norfolk. There he worked on refining his sinker, which he apparently threw about 80% of the time. His ERA was great with Norfolk, but that was despite hitting/walking eight batters and getting only five strikeouts total in three starts. I don’t think he’s going to model himself after Aaron Cook in the big leagues, but this adjustment may be a good idea. He mixed in several four-seamers with his sinker last year, and that was easily his worst pitch. Five of his six HRs came on four-seamers despite the fact he threw it much less frequently. In his brief career, opposing hitters are slugging .667 on the pitch. Ditching it, and going with his slider and change to back up the sinker seems like it’s worth a try.

It’s an especially good move against Seattle. The M’s have struggled mightily against ground-ball pitchers thus far, posting only a .445 OPS. They’ve faced some decent GB pitchers (Lucas Harrell), but I don’t think I’ve been as down on the M’s as when they were absolutely throttled by Derek Lowe (whom I honestly thought had retired). Britton’s probably the most GB-heavy starter they’ve faced, too. On the plus side, he’s a lefty, and the M’s have fared better against lefty starters than righties. But it’s easy to fashion a post-hoc justification* for their awful splits: a team that relies on power so much is going to struggle when fewer balls are hit to the outfield. Mike Morse’s career splits against high grounder pitchers are terrible, and he’s a huge part of the offense.**

Michael Saunders is back from the DL and leading off tonight. As expected, the M’s sent Carlos Peguero back to AAA Tacoma to make room.

Man, Joe Saunders home/road splits are…severe. I’m glad this series is in Safeco. It’s absurdly early, but thus far, “New” Safeco’s playing pretty much *exactly* the way Jeff Sullivan predicted. Safeco’s seen 1.86 HRs per game, not too far off the league average of 2.04 – and a substantial increase over its 1.4 mark last year. But the total run environment hasn’t changed all that substantially. Mariner pitchers have been flat-out dominant at home, striking out nearly 25% of opposing batters, and posting a FIP barely over 3. Unearned runs push their RA9 to 3.57, but that’s still excellent. On the road, their K% drops to 18%, and their FIP is *5.17*. Their RA9 is basically *two full runs per game higher* on the road. Yes, this is clearly influenced by the parks they’ve played in (Texas-y ballparks), but this pattern – a so-so rotation that looks great at home, not so much on the road – was exactly what we saw last year. This was our Bayesian prior! Still, it’s kind of funny to see it play out again, just the way it did in 2012. At home, M’s pitchers are a bit like 2012 David Price. On the road, they’ve been a bit like 2012 Ubaldo Jimenez.

Line-up, now with infinitely more Canadian Content
1: M. Saunders, CF
2: Seager, 3B
3: Morales, 1B
4: Morse, RF
5: Montero, C
6: Smoak, DH
7: Bay, LF
8: Andino, 2B
9: Ryan, SS
SP: J. Saunders

Yes, so Dustin Ackley sits against a lefty. I understand the move, and if he needs a day, then I’d rather have it come against a lefty than a righty, but we’re playing BOTH Andino and Ryan again. The whole ‘The M’s hit well but just got unlucky with men in scoring position’ theory founders when line-ups stack Smoak near Andino and Ryan.

* Yes, post-hoc rationalizing of an odd statistic you come across isn’t the best way to go about things. This has been your up-front acknowledgement/warning that this isn’t terribly serious analysis. Just something I’m going to keep an eye on.

** It’s somewhat counter intuitive, I guess, but Dustin Ackley’s fared better than his overall average against GB pitchers. He tops four-seamers, but sinkers drop onto the sweet spot of his bat – his HR rate is actually higher against them than it is for fly-ballers. Kendrys Morales is essentially the same hitter against all pitcher types, as is Justin Smoak, albeit a worse one.

Comments

103 Responses to “Game 28, Orioles at Mariners”

1. AuburnM on April 29th, 2013 5:15 pm

Someone explain to me why Carlos T. is still in Tacoma. When does he get his shot?

2. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 5:27 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say that regardless iof whatever method of analysis you want or care to use, Andino is never a better lineup choice than Ackley.

Never

Also, slightly related in a connect the imaginary dots kind of way, Taijuan Walker in line to replace Hultzen within the Tacoma rotation since Hultzen will not be in line to replace Joe Saunders anytime soon or be back in the Rainiers rotation either – for several weeks?

3. Westside guy on April 29th, 2013 5:28 pm

I have to wonder if Wedge even bothers looking at splits. Going by his career numbers, Ackley hasn’t done appreciably worse against lefties than against righties (speaking relatively, of course – we all know how he’s disappointed us overall). This season he’s only had 18 at-bats against left-handed pitching, so we obviously can’t draw any conclusions from this year’s numbers against southpaws.

4. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 5:31 pm

I could not complete my 2nd paragraph edit before Westy jumped in. Too bad for me. It is mostly legible, I suppose. If I had written it in English it probably would have looked more presentable. I guess one could say that I “Smoaked” it.

5. Westside guy on April 29th, 2013 5:41 pm

Hehehe Mike!

I am curious about Walker as well.

6. MissouriMariner on April 29th, 2013 5:53 pm

Smoak as a designated hitter is an oxymoron….

7. bookbook on April 29th, 2013 5:59 pm

James Gilheeney is taking Hultzen’s spot at Tacoma, evidently. I’m okay with Walker staying in AA (but not with Ackley sitting for Andino when he’s heating up).

8. Jake on April 29th, 2013 6:00 pm

The only designating that I would like to see Smoak involved in, is being Designated for Assignment.

9. MissouriMariner on April 29th, 2013 6:03 pm

Smoak still has an option and I would have no problem with that option being used. He needs to be off the 25 man roster though. IMO he is done and any chance he has, needs to be worked through in Tacoma….

10. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 6:12 pm

The FO is all in on Smoak, which probably means senior management will tell the baseball operations portion of the FO to F.O. someday soon.

Ass-clowns, all.

11. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 6:57 pm

Seriously, there has to be a time limit with Smoak. I’m guessing the end of May. He has an option, no trade value, and Morales can easily take over 1B. There’s really no reason to let him suck much longer.

12. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 7:05 pm

I think the only trade value he has for the M’s is based on his remaining option only. When he has no options remaining he will have less trade value than Casper Wells. Wells is an actual athlete who can contribute positive WAR and he is currently getting near zero interest in the form of a commitment. Just think about how much better Wells is than Ibanez and see if you can figure out how baseball works.

I know I can’t.

13. absolutsyd on April 29th, 2013 7:10 pm

5: Montero, C
    6: Smoak, DH
    7: Bay, LF
    8: Andino, 2B
    9: Ryan, SS

Jesus fucking Christ. What a joke. I’ll be in the garage doing car work, with music playing, because I don’t even want to hear this shit any more.

14. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 7:11 pm

Casper Wells to the White Sox now.. Merry go round haha

15. djw on April 29th, 2013 7:18 pm

That’s better.

16. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 7:18 pm

WELCOME BACK SAUNDERS!

17. Paul B on April 29th, 2013 7:23 pm

Smoak as DH makes about as much sense as Miguel Olivo as DH.

Oh, right, Wedge.

18. Jordan on April 29th, 2013 7:24 pm

1. Smoak sent down to AA.
    2. Cut Ibanez when Guitierrez can replace him.
    3. Bring up Franklin when ready and cut Andino.
    4. Cut Bay when Romero is ready.(plays LF in Tacoma)
    5. Bring up Zunino when he solves contact issue.

New bench becomes Shoppach, Chavez, Romero/Montero and Franklin/Ryan.

Most dead weight gone and less likely to be a AAA lineup each night.

19. Kazinski on April 29th, 2013 7:30 pm

Player A .223/.306/.369 1524PA
    Player B .221/.285/.369 1222PA

Player A is Smoak, Player B is Saunders and that includes last year, and this seasons stats. This is why the front office is showing a lot of patience with Smoak. That and the fact there is nobody in the minors that is ready to displace Smoak.

20. Paul B on April 29th, 2013 7:35 pm

I’d send Smoak to Tacoma, and offer a big pile of money to Edgar Martinez to work with him for 2 months to see if he can learn to hit line drives.

If Edgar declines, I’d ask Josh Bard’s brother.

21. Slats on April 29th, 2013 7:36 pm

I’d bring Edgar back over continuing with Smoak.

22. lalo on April 29th, 2013 7:36 pm

The fact is that player B can play right field, center field and steal bases, while player A is a slow first baseman.

23. Paul B on April 29th, 2013 7:36 pm

Displace Smoak? Seriously? Morales. Morse to DH. Bring up Thames.

24. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 7:37 pm

You’re neglecting the fact that Saunders had less than 700 PA’s before he found some consistency last year.

You can’t compare the two. Smoak’s had double the PA’s and hasn’t strung together two solid months, yet alone a season.

I realize you’re trying to present this from the FO perspective, but I don’t think that’s it. And I’d argue that they don’t need anyone in the minors to displace him.

25. spuuky on April 29th, 2013 7:41 pm

Yeah Saunders was horrendously bad earlier and “got better,” but most guys just don’t do that. And he got better in the offseason, not by futilely flailing at major league pitches.

26. lalo on April 29th, 2013 7:42 pm

Michael Young will be a free agent next season. Would be an interesting option if Smoak can´t hit. The same with Napoli.

27. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 7:43 pm

Smoak has more career plate appearances than Saunders at this point. I wouldn’t expect Smoak to make the same sort of turn around that Saunders did.

28. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 7:46 pm

I don’t blame Wedge for resting Ackley. I know people hate excuses, but seriously, our schedule sucks.

Why isn’t Josh Bard’s brother the hitting coach, or at least working with the team in some capacity. Where is he?

Welcome back, Condor. Relieved to have you back.

29. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 7:47 pm

That’s kind of what I was gettin’ at, cali. At 650 PA’s (Saunders pre-2012), give or take, there’s considerably more hope than there is for a guy with 1500+.

Saunders has been good for 600 or so PA’s now. That’s encouraging. Smoak….

30. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 7:49 pm

And Franklin’s looking about ready

31. bookbook on April 29th, 2013 7:51 pm

Michael Young? Why?

32. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 7:53 pm

Right on cue, Franklin just singled, knocking in a couple of runs.

33. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 7:55 pm

Franklin has really been on fire. I think we’ll be seeing him before long.

34. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 7:57 pm

Joe Saunders didn’t deserve a lead.

35. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 7:58 pm

His K’s are down, he’s hitting RHP as well as lefties, 1.132 OPS, BUT…… just 15 games played. I’d guess they’ll keep him around a little longer. But he’s doing just about everything right.

36. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 8:04 pm

Montero walked!

37. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 8:05 pm

Ugh, Smoak.

38. djw on April 29th, 2013 8:05 pm

That was a bunting situation, Wedge, you moron.

39. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:05 pm

Boooooooo!

40. spuuky on April 29th, 2013 8:05 pm

4 walks in 7 games for Montero. I’ll take that over his 0 walks in his first 10 games.

41. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:07 pm

Baaaaaaaaay!

42. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 8:07 pm

Don’t even try it, Babysteps!

43. killeverything on April 29th, 2013 8:08 pm

Hmmm, Bay got a RBI after Justin Smoaked his at bat.

44. hidalgo on April 29th, 2013 8:08 pm

The chances of Smoak getting a hit are worse than Seattle getting an NBA team. Cut him loose, and take Ibanez with him. OK, Ibanez can stay as Zen Master emeritus.

45. Slats on April 29th, 2013 8:09 pm

Andino!

46. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 8:10 pm

Bottom of the lineup getting it done, just like we all expected.

47. Slats on April 29th, 2013 8:11 pm

Stop bunting for crying out loud.

48. Paul B on April 29th, 2013 8:11 pm

If Ibanez is such a great influence, make him a coach.

49. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:12 pm

Good to see Bay getting some hits. He’s drawn a few walks as well. I just wonder if he could do the same against RHP, not that I actually wanna find out.

50. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:12 pm

No DP Ryan, no DP.

51. Paul B on April 29th, 2013 8:14 pm

Ryan wears his batting helmet down in that Luis Sojo style.

52. Slats on April 29th, 2013 8:14 pm

No DP Ryan, just SO.

53. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:14 pm

You hit your wish, Steve.

Congrats?

54. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:17 pm

I don’t know if that’s really a victory, but at least Saunders gets a shot to knock ‘em in.

55. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:17 pm

I don’t know if that’s really a victory, but at least Seager gets a shot to knock ‘em in.

56. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:18 pm

Break it open, Kyle!

57. killeverything on April 29th, 2013 8:19 pm

Damnit. I had high hopes with Seager’s AB……

58. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:19 pm

Crap. That’s not the ‘break’ I wanted. I’ll need to be more specific.

59. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:19 pm

I don’t know if that’s really a victory, but at least there is always next inning.

60. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:22 pm

Denny Almonte is really stinkin’ in Tacoma. I wonder if they’ll actually try Romero at center? I can’t imagine him getting squeezed out with Peguero returning. It has to be Almonte. Right?

61. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 8:25 pm

Am I the only one who types tacomarainiers.com, and thinks TacoMariners.com?

62. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:30 pm

Na, there’s plenty of stoners in the NW. Tacos are most certainly on their minds.

63. Slats on April 29th, 2013 8:41 pm

Smoak ha.

64. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 8:43 pm

Been to a Taco Bell drive-in @ 1AM

65. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:45 pm

They bunted to get Ryan to the plate.

Huh.

66. Slats on April 29th, 2013 8:45 pm

Wedge loves the bunt.

67. Kazinski on April 29th, 2013 8:45 pm

I don’t mind the bunt too much there, same as if a pitcher was up in the NL.

If Ackley were in it would be a different story.

68. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:46 pm

And there I have it.

69. stevemotivateir on April 29th, 2013 8:46 pm

Yep, Britton’s in trouble.

70. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 8:47 pm

2 on nobody out!!!! Nice bunt now it’s set-up for the hard hitting SS!!!! OH MY GOD !!!! I think I need some Tacos!!!!

71. djw on April 29th, 2013 8:47 pm

It was a good bunt. As we just saw, as bad of a hitter as Ryan is, he’s perfectly capable of hitting a single, as he just demonstrated. Unless one of your best hitters is up of your way down, bunting with runners at first and second with noone out is generally a pretty good move.

72. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:48 pm

Cool – run scoring out. We need them all, so thank you slow roller.

73. spuuky on April 29th, 2013 8:49 pm

No, bunting generally isn’t a positive move in that situation unless you only want 1 run. You increase your odds of 1 run, and greatly decrease your odds of more than 1 run. But I guess 1 run is all this team should really ask for, so I’m kind of torn.

74. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 8:50 pm

Wow…What am I seeing?

A…a…Good inning??

75. msfanmike on April 29th, 2013 8:50 pm

Woohoooooo!

76. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 8:50 pm

Who are these guys?

77. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 8:51 pm

Atta boy Seager!!

78. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 8:51 pm

Atta boy Seager!!

79. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 8:51 pm

Ugh, double post, don’t know why it does that sometimes, sorry.

80. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 8:52 pm

Well that inning was sweet

81. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 8:52 pm

Ok one more inning from J.Saunders and ????

82. Kazinski on April 29th, 2013 8:53 pm

SSweet. Its nice having Saunders and Seagar at the top of the order. And it doesn’t really hurt them with the L-L at 1-2 because Saunders doesn’t have a platoon split.

83. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 8:56 pm

Yes, Saunders, that’s what to do with a lead.

84. Kazinski on April 29th, 2013 8:58 pm

That is some justice, Saunders was squeezed on that walk. Nice to see it erased right away.

85. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 9:03 pm

Agreed. Safeco Joe!

86. juneau_fan on April 29th, 2013 9:11 pm

Seeing how cold the crowd looks, I’m glad I’m on my couch under a thick blanket.

87. Slats on April 29th, 2013 9:12 pm

A two hit night will buy Smoak another month from Wedge.

88. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 9:13 pm

Nice job tonight Saunders!

Might even go for the complete game.

89. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 9:17 pm

With Bay seemingly hitting well right now would you start him against a right hander? Would Wedge?

90. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 9:20 pm

Wedge would. I would start Endy instead.

91. The_Waco_Kid on April 29th, 2013 9:23 pm

He’s going the distance

92. Longgeorge1 on April 29th, 2013 9:24 pm

I must apologize to Safeco Joe! Now if he could just take his show on the road.

93. californiamariner on April 29th, 2013 9:24 pm

Nice win!

94. hidalgo on April 29th, 2013 9:25 pm

Really needed something uplifting for beleaguered Seattle sports fans.

95. spuuky on April 29th, 2013 9:26 pm

Mariners within 5 games of the wildcard!!!

What, you say that’s really awful only 27 games into the season?

96. mrakbaseball on April 29th, 2013 9:37 pm

9,818 at chilly Safeco. First time under 10,000.

97. Westside guy on April 29th, 2013 9:44 pm

Watched the game behind real time… it is so nice having a non-sucky player in the outfield again! Okay, that’s admittedly not fair to Chavez; but – WELCOME BACK CONDOR!!

Also it’s interesting that, so far, Michael is continuing with his success against lefties.

It is SO FRUSTRATING that, in games like this one, the team looks really close! Then other times… but Seager and Saunders both look good, and if Ackley keeps it up – suddenly the young core doesn’t seem so bad!

Despite Smoak’s good night, I was glad to see Morales at first again. I’m taking that as evidence that Smoak’s time is running out.

98. spuuky on April 29th, 2013 10:05 pm

That’s perfectly fair to Chavez. You have to remember that Chavez isn’t good; it’s just that basic competence is a step up from what’s often out there.

I feel like I’m so negative on here. I really do think that many Mariners players are actually good and do a good job. M Saunders, Seager, Felix (obviously), Iwakuma, a lot of the bullpen (I still remember Bobby Ayala), and probably a few others. So good work, guys who are actually pretty good.

99. GarForever on April 29th, 2013 11:19 pm

Now that no one will probably ever look at this thread again…

I’m not sold on 15 games that Franklin is ‘ready’: he’s getting there, and the SSS so far is encouraging. The walk rate’s the best he’s ever run in pro ball, the K-rate’s the best he’s ever posted as a pro, significantly so: they’re significant improvements even over what he ran over 239 PA at AA last year, and what he did at AA last year was phenomenal (.180 ISO, 151 wRC+).

That said, SSS: we’re sitting at 71 PA, and right now Franklin’s running a BABIP of .409. And while that’s not completely out of line with his numbers at lower levels of the minors once he had mastered them (he ran a .397 and .378 BABIP in parts of two seasons at AA), it still looks ripe for at least some regression. He appears to be a real talent, and some of the improvement this year may be a reflection of the vastly improved plate-discipline numbers. But I would like to see another month or two of sustained discipline before I would be inclined to declare him “ready.”

There’s also the matter of where he would play, since I’ve yet to see anyone seriously consider him an MLB-level SS, though perhaps that thinking has changed. If he comes up, you want him in the line-up regularly, and everyone seems to think he’s a more natural fit at 2B. But if that means moving Ackley to the OF eventually, then most of the value you get from an average-hitting, good-fielding 2B (i.e., Ackley) evaporates.

100. marinerbullpen on April 29th, 2013 11:25 pm

OK, I don’t post much. But….
    Andino, CUT bring up Franklin
    Ibanez, CUT, don’t really care, many medial choices

Smoak, send to minors, is it that obvious?????

(I was at the game the other night and they played this country music, I would have play fkig RAP, just to piss him off), 3 LOB IN 2 STRAIGHT ab’S.

I’m an educator, Smoak is just not smart, he will NEVER learn. Cut bait, lose him to the minors, he will probably nver be back, but we cant afford to have him here.

Ryan, stinks……no way…..stinks.

101. GarForever on April 29th, 2013 11:39 pm

I understand the impatience, bullpen, but where does Franklin play? If he can’t handle SS at the MLB level (and most scouts have consistently deemed that to be the case; they could be wrong), then where do you stick him? He would need to play nearly every day, or otherwise you’re impeding his development.

Look, few people would be happier than me if Franklin could come up tomorrow, play a serviceable SS and continue to hit the ball *reasonably* well (he ain’t gonna run a 1.132 OPS in the bigs, but I’d gladly take 20% off of that — a .900 OPS from a SS who doesn’t embarrass himself in the field? yes, please). But if he *can’t* play a serviceable SS, then what? I’m not being rhetorical, I’m curious what you think.

And, by the way, I’m with you: aside from a sarcastic post I made last week about the vast improvements Mariners teams past have made after Ibanez’s departure, I don’t know why he’s on the team, either…

102. djw on April 30th, 2013 6:13 am

I’m an educator, Smoak is just not smart, he will NEVER learn.

Oh, come on. I’m an educator, too, but I don’t pretend that gives me any insight into people’s intelligence or capacity to learn by watching them play baseball on TV. I’m certainly ready for the team to be done with Smoak, too, but I certainly don’t think my profession gives me any special insight here.

103. GLS on April 30th, 2013 2:04 pm

Montero plays catcher, but Franklin can’t play SS? Not sure I get it. He may not have the range of a Brendan Ryan, but Ryan is an almost guaranteed out at the plate.

If they don’t like Franklin at SS, move him to the outfield.