Game 42, Mariners at Indians

marc w · May 19, 2013 at 9:41 am · Filed Under Mariners

Felix Hernandez vs. Justin Masterson, 10:05am

Well this has certainly been a frustrating series. The M’s bats have come alive late, only for the bullpen to cough up the lead again. You’ve got to be confident about this game, though, as the M’s start Felix.

Masterson’s Carter Cappsian arm angle has always produced huge platoon splits. This year he’s been successful against lefties largely due to BABIP and HR/FB luck, and the M’s can trot out several hitters who will get a long look at the ball. Saunders and Seager can hopefully get on base for the incandescent Raul Ibanez. Honestly, match-ups like this are why Ibanez is here. He’s a streaky hitter on an insane tear and he’s facing a pitcher who plays to Ibanez’s strengths.

1: Saunders, CF
2: Ackley, 2B
3: Seager, 3B
4: Morales, DH
5: Morse, RF
6: Ibanez, LF
7: Smoak, 1B
8: Montero, C
9: Ryan, SS

James Paxton starts for Tacoma this afternoon in the finale of the 4 gamer against Memphis against ex-M’s fireballer Maikel Cleto, aka the guy the M’s swapped for Brendan Ryan.
Taijuan Walker and Tyler Pike also start in AA and A, respectively, making this a pretty interesting day in the minors.

Go M’s.

Comments

71 Responses to “Game 42, Mariners at Indians”

1. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 9:44 am

Awesome…. we get another shot at winning game 42!

2. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 10:17 am

Another mental error…

You can’t casually jog for the ball like that, Saunders. Bourn has seious wheels.

3. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:17 am

With exception to Giambi, it’s hard not to admire this Cleveland team.

4. Sports on a Shtick on May 19th, 2013 10:18 am

Fucking terrible outfield play so far. Lollygagging on Bourn’s double and then I don’t know WTF Morse was doing there trying to throw home. 1-0 Indians. Great job team.

5. Paul B on May 19th, 2013 10:19 am

Yeah, not much help from the outfield so far.

6. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:19 am

That was actually a good pitch, but Morse made the situation worse trying to go home with it.

7. Sports on a Shtick on May 19th, 2013 10:21 am

Not much help from the defense, period…

8. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 10:21 am

Are you kidding me? This team has been absolutely laughable these past few games…

9. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:21 am

Great. Ugly defense on three plays already.

10. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 10:23 am

Time for Wedge to give this team another “talk” before things go downhill. This team has looked lackadaisical this series.

11. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 10:24 am

Isn’t Jason Giambi dead?

Uh, he’s being considered for manager jobs? Is that the end result of the PED scandal? Although the whitewashing is interesting, like seeing Barry Bonds’ record lauded on MLB TV or Brett Boone in the Mariners’ ads for the wonderful past they have running these days.

12. The_Waco_Kid on May 19th, 2013 10:26 am

What happened to Shoppach? He never plays anymore.

13. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 10:30 am

Monty always gets a home run when he catches Felix. *rolling eyes* I’m sure that’s the thinking.

14. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:34 am

Morales hit that right on the money. Too bad it was right to Stubbs.

15. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 10:36 am

Morse hit that right on the money. Too bad it was right to Bourn. (x2)

16. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:42 am

Nice attempt by Ackley.

17. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:43 am

Wonder if Cleveland will challenge Montero even with two outs?

Honestly, I probably would.

18. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 10:47 am

It’s going to be one of those days, isn’t it?

19. Sports on a Shtick on May 19th, 2013 10:48 am

Yep. That’s enough for me. Just pathetic all around.

20. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 10:49 am

Although that angry strikeout was pretty amazing by Felix. And Swisher’s not some scrub hitter.

21. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 10:50 am

Once this team took two of three from NYY, I got my hopes up. But I forgot we’re not really that good of a team.

22. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 10:51 am

Come on guys pick Felix up for once.

23. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 10:54 am

Does a HBP extend his hitting streak?

24. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 10:56 am

Okay now, Saunders.

Come on Dustin! Crap.

25. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:10 am

Come on Raul – grit it into the stands!

… Ah, he didn’t apply enough grit to that one.

26. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:16 am

WAKE UP YOU MORONS.

27. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 11:16 am

Tough day for Monty.

28. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 11:16 am

Man I hope Felix’s back is okay.

29. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:16 am

This is the sloppiest game I’ve seen in a while.

30. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:17 am

The “Montero as Catcher” era can’t end soon enough for me.

31. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 11:18 am

Dave, please write up a post on what to do with Montero. Because he doesn’t look like he’s qualified to be a major league player to me.

32. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:19 am

I used the plural “morons”, but I don’t think Smoak did anything wrong there.

33. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 11:19 am

What the hell was that, Raul?

34. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:20 am

What the ***** was that, Raul? I know you couldn’t catch that, but you weren’t even I. The right line – so why jump?

35. wilchiro on May 19th, 2013 11:20 am

FWIW guys, my best friend is John Ellis’ grandson. Ellis happens to still have an inside ear on the organization, as I knew about the fences moving in months before it was announced. Apparently, the plan within the organization is to trade Smoak and move Montero to 1B once Zunino is more polished. He said it could happen within the next year or so.

I’m as ready for the Montero catcher experiment to end as anyone else is.

36. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:20 am

Argh, I hate autocorrect.

37. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 11:21 am

I think plural morons is right. As much as it pains me to say it, Felix didn’t cover the plate.

Sims cursed the team yesterday by saying how Felix can always be counted on going deep in the game to save the bullpen.

38. jmfujii on May 19th, 2013 11:22 am

Jesus christ what the hell was Raul thinking he was doing…

39. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:22 am

Man, wilchiro, watching Montero behind the plate makes it hard not to want Zunino rushed to the majors.

40. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:24 am

He was a good 4 feet away from the ball. But does this really surprise anyone?!

41. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 11:25 am

Lol Raul jumped and the ball was like 5 feet to his side.

42. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:28 am

Add that one to highlight (blooper) reel for Raul.

43. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah it wasn’t quite Liddi-esque… But it was too close for comfort.

44. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 11:29 am

1 for 17 so far this series with risp. Nobody really believes that is a skill. 2 games were lost on a walk off. (I’m trying to find reason not to feel so discouraged.)

45. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:29 am

Come on Condor..

Guess I should’ve been more specific.

46. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 11:32 am

Make it 1 for 19.

47. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you Mike Blowers for telling the truth – that “wild pitch” was all on Monty.

48. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:43 am

The Mariners have, what, 2 weeks to make a move with Guti? Who believes Chavez will get the axe?

49. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:47 am

Holy crap, did they show that same Angels/Old Spice/Head & Shoulders commercial on ROOT?!

Most ridiculous baseball commercial I’ve ever seen. And I’d imagine they’re getting ribbed hard for it.

50. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:48 am

Chavez has been playing well – Jack might be able to get minor league filler for him.

I’ll be sad to see him go though.

51. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:50 am

Man, Masterson is just dominating the Mariners lineup today.

52. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:51 am

In other news, Michael Pineda seems to have his velocity back and is on track to rejoin the Bombers in June.

53. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 11:52 am

Come ON, Raul – this is a guy you should still be able to hit!

54. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 11:56 am

That Old Spice ad is creepy. Hamilton and his dead, dead eyes, leering at the chick holding him…The ad company does know that he’s hardly The Boy Next Door when it comes to the ladies, right?

I wish Hamilton only the best in his continued recovery, but there’s something scary about that man, as though we’re going to see some O.J. type scenario rolling out 10 years from now when he doesn’t have a baseball to work his aggression out on.

Hey, nothing to see in the game! Might as well wildly make surmises about some dude I don’t know!

55. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 11:58 am

Good to hear about Pineda.

Chavez would seem to be the odd man out, but I wonder if they could trade Smoak or Morales now, move Morse to 1B/DH.

With any luck, landing a decent outfield prospect in the process.

56. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 12:00 pm

What I find funny about that ad is they choose to keep using it despite how badly Hamilton is performing.

It was never of any interest to non-Angels fans, and right now I doubt it appeals to that team’s fans either.

57. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 12:03 pm

I’d love to see them sell high on Smoak, Steve – but that’s just me. I know some of you believe in him more than I do, though.

For me, letting Morse/Morales alternate at 1B/DH and having Bay, Chavez, and Guti share outfield responsibilities would improve the team.

58. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 12:10 pm

On a side note – I appreciate the fact that our announcers are fairly even-handed, and acknowledge good performances by opponents (and blunders by our own guys, such as Blowers comment regarding that earlier “wild pitch”).

59. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 12:11 pm

I’m with ya on selling high on Smoak, though I suppose that doesn’t guarantee he’d net a good return.

I’m really curious to see how things start to play out as they prepare for 2014. I really believe they need to address the outfield before the offseason.

60. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 12:16 pm

The ad agency probably has a East Coast bias on baseball. They have no idea how the Angels are doing. And since I’m amused every time I see it, in a bitter, bitter way, it’s all good.

Speaking of Angels, once you’ve heard how awful and homer their announcers are, you’ll never rag on Blowers/Rizz/Sims again.

61. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 12:30 pm

At least this game seems to be mercifully ending quickly.

Need to get into the yard anyway…

62. juneau_fan on May 19th, 2013 12:44 pm

Only Babysteps Monty ends on first with a long hit to left field.

63. stevemotivateir on May 19th, 2013 12:44 pm

Off the wall and it’s a single. Nuts!

64. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 12:45 pm

Ad agency is Saatchi & Saatchi, out of New York.

And apparently CJ. Wilson is going to be featured in a whole series of ads. Proctor and Gamble are donating a buck for each strikeout this year to inner city baseball. How you would know that from the ad, I don’t know.

Although given that we’re talking about strikeouts, I can see why Hamilton was in one ad. ;-)

65. The_Waco_Kid on May 19th, 2013 12:45 pm

They’re sayin Guti could move to RF. Probably a good choice. They can’t DH him and he can’t stay healthy.

66. californiamariner on May 19th, 2013 12:52 pm

I agree with Juneau. Due to my surroundings I hear the awful Angels announcers more than I’d like.

67. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 1:02 pm

Doesn’t Eric Byrnes do color for the Angels, at least occasionally? Speaking of veteran grit…

BTW I’m looking forward to Hisashi Iwakuma starting game 42 for the M’s tomorrow.

68. The_Waco_Kid on May 19th, 2013 1:12 pm

We’re gonna play Game 42 til we win it, dammit.

69. jak924 on May 19th, 2013 2:16 pm

When is someone going to tell Montero that he’s going to AAA, And staying there for a long time.

70. Westside guy on May 19th, 2013 4:59 pm

Well, it could be worse – we could be the Angels.

Second place, we hardly knew ye…

71. MrZDevotee on May 19th, 2013 9:53 pm

I had the pleasure of missing this game, and catching the Rainiers game in person today. Rewarded with a walk-off Carlos Triunfel game winning homer in the bottom of the 9th (which made up for the 2 runs Memphis scored off his botched textbook double play ball earlier).

I highly advise everyone local head down to Tacoma at least once this year. The field is in beautiful shape, the hype and vibrancy of the place is electric, and the team looks NOTHING like the old AAA Mariners teams… If you base it on the talent in Seattle right now, they’re practically a major league team (at least on par with a Houston)…

Thames, Patterson and Romero in the OF

Poythress, Franklin, Triunfel & Tenbrink in the IF

Paxton pitching and Zunino behind the plate (Zunino had a nice HR today, too).

And Guty was the DH. (Looked healthy, had some good swings, and facial hair/beard?!)

They looked very polished and more athletic than the Big League team currently. To a man, I could see any of them coming up in an emergency without embarrassing themselves (Tenbrink & Poythress would be last on the list though).

It was really a nice time. Even if Paxton didn’t have his best stuff going today (dare I say he looked almost “average” out there).